8.5

1. Mar 13, 2017
    Combat is OK but the puzzles are garbage. If you think picking up a rock and placing it in a circle, throwing a rock into a circle, or pushing a rock into a circle is exciting then go ahead you'll be doing that 200 times. There are a few good side quests and a few good surprises but most of what you find is endlessly repeated simple Korok puzzles that you need to do because of howCombat is OK but the puzzles are garbage. If you think picking up a rock and placing it in a circle, throwing a rock into a circle, or pushing a rock into a circle is exciting then go ahead you'll be doing that 200 times. There are a few good side quests and a few good surprises but most of what you find is endlessly repeated simple Korok puzzles that you need to do because of how annoying the equipment breaking system is. You need the extra slots because how fast weapons become useless and break. If you enjoy Dungeons you need not apply because this has the worst dungeons in the entire Zelda franchise. They are no more than simple puzzle rooms with almost no enemy's.... the one enemy they the boss are also the worst in the franchise. Bosses almost with every other monster are either going to kill you in 1 hit or if you spent a little time powering up they will be so weak you may not even need to block. Bad menu's that you constantly use, bad voice acting, bad writing, bad story, bad lip-sync in some scenes, bad side quests.... Very little of this game is up to modern standards. If you think cooking should be quick and easy to prepare before battle well that's not this game. Maybe in the Witcher you can instantly fill up everything you know the recipe for but in Zelda you need to spend 30 min crafting each individual meal waiting through the 10 second jingle to finish after every one. This annoyance continues through the whole game... you'll need to sit through 5 loading screens to finish each shrine and most of the time they aren't even worth it. Shines are generally just very simple puzzles with no visual difference and they pale in comparison to open world puzzles used to unlock shrines. Even worse are the shrines that are 5 loading screens just to enter an empty room with a chest. Things Zelda was good at are now broken! Even things like the lock on system is garbage. Its still worth playing but its not the masterpiece reviewers keep saying it is. Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2017
    Its just ok. Simple. Don't listen to the Nintendo fanboys; this is NOT a perfect game. Let me explain:
    Cons:
    - The story is good, but I haven't found myself really into it. There isn't any real urgency to it. Just do what you want and oh yeah maybe save this princess. - Weapon durability system is actually awful. I'm not saying the mechanic is bad, but this game does it awful. Nothing
    Cons:
    - Weapon durability system is actually awful. I'm not saying the mechanic is bad, but this game does it awful. Nothing ruins a game more than giving you something cool only to take it away a few seconds later (And i'm serious, weapons break in just a few swings in this game. Nothing like Dark souls).
    - Combat is just meh. Everyone claims that the durability system is to encourage you to try different weapon types, yet the combat is just so bland. Sure, maybe this is great for casual players, but this game doesn't feel like it was made for new gamers.
    - The side quest are very generic rpg quests. Nothing like The Witcher 3 's quests which would draw you down a rabbit hole of action, adventure, and feels.
    - No crafting?? Only crafting is cooking food that give you boosts. Thats it.
    Pros:
    - The game world is beautiful. There are things to do everywhere it seems. Only gripe is that the switch cant handle it, but that's not the games fault i guess.
    - The puzzles are all really creative and take full advantage of the rune mechanic.
    - The world is really open. Go anywhere, do anything. There are a few ways the game limits you from just running to the final boss of course.
    - The physics in this game is great. Light a bush on fire, let it burn the whole field, and ride away on the updraft. You can be really creative in this game because of its great physics engine.

In conclusion, its just another open world rpg game. The fact that Link is in it doesn't make it any different. If you like Zelda games, grab it. If you want a open world rpg with, maybe get Witcher 3 or Dark souls 3.
  3. Mar 4, 2017
    As a Zelda fan that has played almost every Zelda game there is, I have to say that this is undoubtebly the worst entry in the franchise (yet).
    This game is a mix of a completely dumbed-down Zelda game and a completely dumbed down open world RPG like the Witcher 3. What made the previous titles so fun to play, the varied dungeons, items, music, side quests, combat mechanics are all gone or wattered down and have been replaced by tedious features like cooking, running for hours and hours and killing the same stupid ennemies to get weapons, not because they are better and more complex to use, but because your previous ones break. The fact that you have no direction means nothing, as there is no point in doing anything, you just get some more effective weapons, clothes and food, that's all, the ennemies are all the same and are all set up in the same camps over and over, good open world games normally have a tonn of varied quests, lots of ennemies and characters, meaningful character customization (so the opposite of this game) and a much more interactive world than this game. The Witcher 3 really showed what the genre is capable of. Zelda games are set in the action-adventure genre, but this time the action is dumbed down and repetive, the adventure is worthless since you will already have discovered most of the stuff in the plateau area. I really miss the old Zelda dungeons where you got very interesting items wich resulted in a very interesting gameplay, looking back at the people complaining that Skyward Sword was too linear and didn't have enough stuff to explore, I think it would have been much better if it stayed that way. If only this game would serve as an example of what Nintendo shouldn't do with Zelda, but seeing the metascore of 98 makes me think that this is the end for the Zelda series, atleast if you liked the interesing gameplay of the predecessors.
  4. Mar 4, 2017
    I originally gave this game an 8, but the more i play, the more i start to feel that this game is a huge dissapointment. Most of the time is spent running around aimlessly in the empty world, while the rest of the time is spent hitting enemies with a sword over and over again. Not to mention every enemy in the game is pretty much the same, but with different colours and skins. The gameI originally gave this game an 8, but the more i play, the more i start to feel that this game is a huge dissapointment. Most of the time is spent running around aimlessly in the empty world, while the rest of the time is spent hitting enemies with a sword over and over again. Not to mention every enemy in the game is pretty much the same, but with different colours and skins. The game overall can be a lot of fun at times, but these times are so rare compared to the boring and repetitive ones. The framerate drops are also something that definitely brings this game down, as it is too noticeable to just brush off. I really don't understand the praise this game is getting, especially since it doesn't have enough variety or innovation to call it a "masterpiece". I will say that the art style is very pleasing in certain areas, as there are some places where this game looks gorgeous. The story is also very interesting with some really nice voice acting, and the game does give a great sense of adventure. Expand
  5. Mar 4, 2017
    After waiting for three years for this game, I have to say I'm not impressed. The graphics are ok, the music is ok, the game is....actually kinda boring and repetitive. I love Zelda games, Windwaker is my favorite game of all time, but this game didn't draw me in like WW or OOT or even ALTTP. I didn't really care for SS and after four hours in, not a big fan of ABOTW. This game feels likeAfter waiting for three years for this game, I have to say I'm not impressed. The graphics are ok, the music is ok, the game is....actually kinda boring and repetitive. I love Zelda games, Windwaker is my favorite game of all time, but this game didn't draw me in like WW or OOT or even ALTTP. I didn't really care for SS and after four hours in, not a big fan of ABOTW. This game feels like a bad version of Elder Scrolls, not a Zelda game....hate the collecting, cooking food?, weapons break...often, Link is resurrected like Christ...is he a god now?, load times are often and long, lots of space on the map...lots of walking/riding, with nothing there, the quick travel takes forever to load next area, .............and on and on....also the first Zelda game you can't change your name, or have three save files....two stars...an ok game, NOT A LOZ GAME! Expand
  6. Mar 16, 2017
    Okay, so I beat the game to give it a final review and I must say I was reallllly disappointed. I'll just make my list now.
    Cons:
    No enemy variety. Maybe 8 total enemies in the game reskinned several times. Shrines are boring and take about 5 minutes or less to complete. 4 dungeons in the game if you can even call them dungeons that is. These dungeons are just huge empty spaces with
    Cons:
    No enemy variety. Maybe 8 total enemies in the game reskinned several times.
    Shrines are boring and take about 5 minutes or less to complete.
    4 dungeons in the game if you can even call them dungeons that is. These dungeons are just huge empty spaces with one 20-minute puzzle and a boss.
    Calamity Gannon shot at me one time and stood there the rest of the fight.
    This is somewhat of a nitpick, but the music is really bad. If you have such an epic open world area the music should not have been soft piano. Ocarina of Time of time felt like an adventure with the music.
    The framerate is also very bad on the Switch. It was advertised to run at a "smooth 30 fps" and it doesn't if too many enemies are in one area and especially around the Great Deku Tree.
    The rain mechanic is very annoying. You can't just start a fire and wait either because that puts out your fire. So, then you need to go back to a town or a covered area and make your climb all over again.
    Chests are kind of pointless. They all hold some crappy weapon that breaks in a couple hits.

Pros
    You can do a lot of silly stuff, but that's about it.
    The visuals look nice when they don't lag.

That's about it.
  7. Mar 3, 2017
    Sadly, the Zelda fanboy army and obvious paid reviewers are giving this game an artificially high rating whilst in truth it isn't *that* good, there are many glaring issues right now, and the game does get repetitive after about 20 hours in, especially after grinding shrines/temples over and over for little reward.

BotW would have been better if you didn't get all the tools and

BotW would have been better if you didn't get all the tools and equipment you need within pretty much the first 20 minutes to an hour into the game. The gameplay is also questionable, with strange difficulty spikes basically saying ' you shouldn't be in this area yet ' so you die in one hit, whilst you don't lose anything you can lose durability since your weapons don't last forever and eventually you're going to need to craft items and especially potions.

The crafting elements aside, the game is a psudo mixture of Dark Souls meets Skyrim? The game can be brutally difficult at times, and have a nice balance the next - whilst this isn't neccessarily a bad thing, I'm sure it could cause some player frustration.

Whilst I think its a good opening title for the switch, the 90+ and especially 100s are all vastly over-rated scores, and shouldn't have scored that high. Sure this game is good, but it isn't that 'great' but its a worthy title to hold the Zelda name.
  8. Mar 3, 2017
    Not as good as the critics make you think it is, but overall a pretty good game. The story is not excellent, the combat could use some more polishing, but the world created is simply marvelous.
  9. Mar 3, 2017
    If you enjoy just messing around in a large, beautiful world then this game is perfect for you, lots to fiddle around with and definitely worth your money. Someone looking for a more engaging, focused experience will find Breath of the Wild somewhat lacking however. It's an okay game, and I hate to say this, but I can't think of it as anything but a bad Zelda game. Regardless I willIf you enjoy just messing around in a large, beautiful world then this game is perfect for you, lots to fiddle around with and definitely worth your money. Someone looking for a more engaging, focused experience will find Breath of the Wild somewhat lacking however. It's an okay game, and I hate to say this, but I can't think of it as anything but a bad Zelda game. Regardless I will give it a 5 since there are definitely many that will enjoy this type of game. Expand
  10. Mar 8, 2017
    Was not the biggest fan early on and I thought the world felt a bit empty and felt abit mmo style in it's encounters, after another 10 hours I'm finding I enjoy it much more than my original impressions. The shrines work well at adding a hook and I've been surprised they haven't gotten too dull. I am hoping the frame rate can be improved with a patch because it can chug at times. I stillWas not the biggest fan early on and I thought the world felt a bit empty and felt abit mmo style in it's encounters, after another 10 hours I'm finding I enjoy it much more than my original impressions. The shrines work well at adding a hook and I've been surprised they haven't gotten too dull. I am hoping the frame rate can be improved with a patch because it can chug at times. I still prefer the earlier zelda games but this is solid but a bit over rated at the moment. Expand
  11. Apr 18, 2017
    Este no es el mejor juego en el momento, tiene un enfoque divertido no lo niego, algunas armaduras me parecen muy bonitas, y los graficos no son punteros pero son agradables, algunas mecanicas aqui y haya, los giños a otros juegos de la entrega y una cantidad de actividades accesorias que alimentan la experiencia, son bien recibidas. El combate siendo sincero no, no es lo mejor del juegoEste no es el mejor juego en el momento, tiene un enfoque divertido no lo niego, algunas armaduras me parecen muy bonitas, y los graficos no son punteros pero son agradables, algunas mecanicas aqui y haya, los giños a otros juegos de la entrega y una cantidad de actividades accesorias que alimentan la experiencia, son bien recibidas. El combate siendo sincero no, no es lo mejor del juego ni remotamente, es de lo mas basico y tedioso, aqui si es donde destaca que es un juego para niños pequeños, claro que existira gente que le despierte nostalgia y es totalmente comprensible, pero que solo por eso deba tener una calificacion perfecta, es ser poco objetivo.

El juego es interesante y divertido pero es para el nene de la casa, bueno y para el coleccionista que crecio con nintendo pero el concepto se ha desarrollado muchas veces y de mejores maneras, la historia de un the witcher, la exploracion de un assasins creed, el espectaculo de un Uncharted, el combate de Nioh, o el realismo de un tomb raider en modo de supervivencia aquellos son juegos que han marcado un antes y un despues. Este es un juego lindo, con mecanicas variadas, pero es todo. Si eres un jugador experimentado y buscas un reto, este juego no es para ti, si al contrario eres un niño pequeño, o guardas un buen recuerdo de nintendo supongo, aunque mi recomendacion es que comprar la consola por un solo juego, con los precios que tiene y la experiencia que ofrece la consola, no es lo ideal, es mejor esperar a que este todo mas barato.

Aunque quisiera agregar que el juego ofrece una gran cantidad de contenido en actividades, y es interesante el enfoque que tiene en abordar el mundo abierto, al darle al jugador la libertad, para que explore y lleve la historia como le parezca, o trate de crear una propia parcialmente que es el punto mas fuerte para mi de todo el juego,

lo que sigue no tiene que ver estricatamente con la review si no es un comentario que me gustaria realizar acerca de los mundos abiertos.

El the Witcher fue un juego increible, pero una vez termine la historia principal y los DLCs no volvi a entrar precisamente por que no habia nada mas que hacer o descubrir despues de llegar al maximo nivel, los combates ya no me parecian un reto, considero que hay muchos mundos abiertos, que estan bien elaborados y tienen unas mecanicas solidas, y no me parece que hacer varias entregas de un juego sea la respuesta, si no que hacer un juego principal y alimentarlo periodicamente y siendo sincero prefiero pagar un dlc con una buena cantida de contenido de un juego que me gusta que por un juego nuevo incompleto o repetitivo.
  12. May 24, 2017
    If you're reading through reviews wondering if everyone is insane, then let me tell you that this is the review I wish I had read before buying the game.

It's just as boring as you think it is. When people say that there is 'so much to do' they mean that you can do the same things, over and over again, a lot. * The puzzles are boring and/or annoying. * The exploration is fun for

* The puzzles are boring and/or annoying.
    * The exploration is fun for about 10 hours (meaning that it IS genuinely fun, but it gets old if you're looking for any kind of depth).
    * The story is cringe-inducing.
    * There is no depth beyond the exploration, combat, and the crappy puzzles (shrines). Those three things are what you cycle through endlessly until you get tired or you decide to beat the game.
    * This isn't really Zelda, not at all in it's ideal form.

If you consider Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask works of art, or 'experiences', then you will see right through this game. I'm not saying you won't like it, I'm just saying that you'll know exactly what's what after about 30 minutes.

Now, gripes out of the way: This game is RELAXING. Play it if you want to just do random stuff all day in Zelda-land and sometimes impress yourself with your ingenuity, find cute things to giggle about, and just kind of mindlessly 'do something'. The game, however, is not worth investing your imagination into, there's nothing here. It's a theme park.

A solid 7. Good sand-box toy/game, bad Zelda experience.
  13. Jul 26, 2017
    I grew up playing Legend of Zelda. The first game on NES was one of the first games I saved my allowance and mowed neighbors yards to buy. With exception to Skyward Sword, I have enjoyed all of the mainline console entries (and many of the handheld entries) of the Zelda franchise. So when I finally got my Switch, and thanks to the overwhelmingly positive reviews, I was stoked to pop inI grew up playing Legend of Zelda. The first game on NES was one of the first games I saved my allowance and mowed neighbors yards to buy. With exception to Skyward Sword, I have enjoyed all of the mainline console entries (and many of the handheld entries) of the Zelda franchise. So when I finally got my Switch, and thanks to the overwhelmingly positive reviews, I was stoked to pop in Breath of the Wild.

30 hours of gametime later and I'm woefully bored. Let me be succinct: This isn't a Zelda game. Sure, it has the location and character names, the stylization, the same old "beat Ganon"/Triforce story, but don't let that fool you. The core of the game is a mediocre open world collectathon.

If I were to mention a game where you have to collect hundreds of items to upgrade your inventory, health, and stamina, have multiple in-game currencies for items and other upgrades, and have to climb towers to unlock area map information while using a scope to identify landmark points of interest, you'd think I was talking about an Ubisoft open world game. Except that's precisely what Breath of the Wild does.

BotW takes this penchant for collecting further by almost becoming a survival game. Gone are the days of buying/finding jars, buying potions in shops (or from witches!), finding hearts in containers, or keeping fairies in jars. Now it's all about hunting animals for meat, gathering insects, enemy parts, ores, herbs, spices, and other ingredients and then cooking. Endlessly cooking - and there are HUNDREDS of different materials. The materials themselves give paltry benefits (if any at all) but cooking them turns them into feasts and exilirs. Unless you go look up a strategy guide for what ingredients you need, the cooking process is all experimentation. In the 30 hours I've played thus far, I wouldn't at all be shocked if I've spent a third of that in front of a fire.

It doesn't end with just cooking. Weapons and shields have paper thin durability so you're constantly breaking weapons even in the most basic of fights. This requires constant carrying of extra gear in order to swap when your weapon, bow, or shield inevitably breaks. You must also carry different sets of elemental resistance gear because if you wander into an area that's too cold or too hot and don't have enough resistance from gear or potions, you can DIE from exposure as it reduces your health as a damage over time effect. And just to remind you that they're going for realism, basic actions can become more difficult with various weather conditions (e.g. climbing while raining means you'll slide down a lot and have to start over).

"But the shrines", I can hear people saying. Sorry, these Shrines are a very poor imitation of what previous Zelda game dungeons had been. They're often only one or two rooms with little to no challenge. Take ten of them and mash them together and you'd be close to having a proper Zelda dungeon. Quantity (and there are many, again, see "collectathon") doesn't equal quality.

I don't know what this game is. It looks and sounds like Zelda but it plays like a sub-par mashup of open world games from Ubisoft, Rockstar, and Bethesda. Stylistically it looks great and despite the occasional frame drop, I enjoy looking at the game and visiting its locales. But the combat, the constant need to be a hunter/gatherer and cook, the open world fluff and the snorefest Shrines.. it's all just so dreadfully boring.

It's not a 9 or 10, nor is it a 0 or 1 game. It falls squarely in the middle. On some level, it pains me to rate this so low as it's clear they put a lot of effort into it; However, this is an example where going to a western RPG open world style fundamentally changed the core of what made the franchise and not in a good way.
  14. May 15, 2017
    The game have amazing soundtrack, lore and the whole idea of playing on portable device AAA title is great. But fight mechanic is awful, and lack of voice acting is frustrating.
  15. Mar 24, 2017
    Zelda Breath of the Wild es un grandísimos videojuego que sin tener los gráficos de la actual generación es realmente bello. Cuando estamos en la cima de una montaña o en una torre y nos lanzamos con la paravela nos damos cuenta que estamos ante un espectáculo visual. Y si coincide con un amanecer dejaremos la misión o lo que quiera que estemos haciendo para observarlo.

Es un juego que

Es un juego que te atrapa, donde estaremos horas y horas que se pasarán en un suspiro. Podrás jugar seis horas seguidas sin darte cuenta, sin apenas avanzar en la historia principal o haciendo apenas un puñado de misiones secundarias o superando santuarios. Más de 105 horas tengo a mis espaldas tras habérmelo pasado.

Los detalles según lo que hagamos, las físicas, son sin duda una lección magistral para otras desarrolladoras. Ver la hierba moverse según sopla el viento, como ésta va cediendo a nuestros pasos, cómo podemos cortarla cuando está alta y pueden aparecer animales que hacia un rato se había escondido a nuestro paso, cómo nos cuesta escalar cuando llueve (todo cuanto veamos es escalable, según la resistencia que tengamos), cómo podemos quedar achicharrados si en una tormenta de rayos vamos equipados con nuestro escudo/espada, el movimiento del agua cuando estamos en ella, poder cortar árboles al golpearlo ver cómo se deslizan si hay pendiente, la IA de los enemigos al eliminar o devolverte las bombas que les lanzas, ,... Alguno le parecerá una tontería pero no muchos juegos atienden a estos "detalles".

No hay mucha gente con la que charlar salvo en postas y aldeas y los que nos encontremos en el camino nos podrán dar pistas de tesoros o lugares que hasta ese momento no hayamos tenido noticia o puede que se conviertan en enemigos. En las aldeas, lógicamente, no hay muchos edificios pero en todos ellos podremos cotillear, sin excepción. Lo cual deja a otros mundos abiertos como una decoración de cartón piedra.

A continuación les paso mis puntos negativos:

- Poca profundidad en la historia y escasas misiones principales. Eso sí, las cinemáticas son muy bonitas y bien hechas.

- Quitando postas y aldeas, poca vida (humana). La interacción con estos poco profunda.

- Misiones secundarias decepcionante. El héroe de Hyrule reducido a recadero: tráeme X gemás luminosas, X setas raudas, etc. o busca a menganito que no sabemos dónde está. Ni rastro de misiones secundarias tan buenas y con tanta enjundia como una principal, que vimos en juegos como The Witcher 3.

- Sistema de combate ortopédico (hasta que con el paso de las horas vamos puliendo, pero es malo). Venir de jugar Nioh y encontrarte con esto.. cierto, no son géneros comparables, pero deja mucho que desear la simplificación del combate.

- Dificultad del juego. Nula. Nula para jefes finales de las bestias divinas y Ganon. Si no estás pendiente de la vida, si no tienes flechas ancestrales o no cuentas con la espada maestra, puede que te cueste. Si tienes todo eso, prácticamente a la primera los vencerás. En cambio, los guardianes pero especialmente los centaleones son muy complicados. Lo curioso es que son enemigos opcionales. No tiene lógica.

- Algunos tirones en modo TV, no molestos, pero siendo exclusivo es imperdonable. También el último día me hizo una cosa extraña en modo portatil, auqnue aquí el juego es estable y se ve de lujo. En modo TV jugando con el mando pro gana muchísimo.

- Esto es más subjetivo: tras 105 horas y con estos puntos negativos, no entiendo tanto maldito 10 de la prensa. Maletines?

Para mi estas contras le hacen bajar mucho y por eso le pondría un 7,5.
  16. Apr 11, 2017
    This is an enormous game that functions well as a casual handheld experience. Pick it up whenever and kill a few hours running around its theme park mmo style world. Solve a few shrine puzzles, clear out some monster encapments, finish a quest, see what's on the other side of that mountain etc. It's your run of the mill RPG experience, but with stunning draw distances that let you seeThis is an enormous game that functions well as a casual handheld experience. Pick it up whenever and kill a few hours running around its theme park mmo style world. Solve a few shrine puzzles, clear out some monster encapments, finish a quest, see what's on the other side of that mountain etc. It's your run of the mill RPG experience, but with stunning draw distances that let you see clear across the gargantuan map, and somewhat novel climbing and paragliding mechanics that help you get around.

It's easy to be blindsided by the scale of the game, but after spending a few dozen hours grinding through it, I'm finding myself a little baffled by the perfect scores. The essentials here are weak, from the dark-souls-for-children combat mechancis, the ability to heal yourself whenever in the middle of combat with essentially limitless potions, puzzles that telegraph their solutions so blatantly you don't feel much reward in completing them, and maybe worst of all, an awkward, gaping void where a story ought to be.

There's fun to be had for sure, especially when you find some novel way to play in Breath of the Wild's coherent but gimmicky physicsy sandbox, it's just that little charming quirks don't add up to a deep gaming experience. The expertly polished, pitch-perfect game design i've come to expect from the series appears to have peaked with Twilight Princess. I'm genuinely happy Nintendo is flexing their engineerig muscle and taking some big risks with a change to the formula, but I hope they make a smaller, more concentrated map next time and fix this game's clunky controls and shallow components.
  17. Jul 17, 2017
    I must admit I've never been a massive Zelda fan over the years - I've enjoyed some of the games but it's not a series I've been mad for. However, with the hype surrounding this latest installment, I thought it's time to dust out the Wii and have a go! After playing through it, here's my thoughts from a neutral standpoint!

The Good Given the Wii U or Switch can't compete with PC or

The Good

Given the Wii U or Switch can't compete with PC or other consoles from a hardware point of view, Nintendo have done very well to create a distinctive style for this game, and I think it works very well. Sunrises and sunsets are pretty, character models are well designed and the landscape is nice and varied. It's a cartoony style that I think works very well.

Combat, although basic, is grand. There's a variety of melee, ranged and magical weapons available and encounters with groups of enemies or strongholds include a degree of strategy or planning required. There are some annoyances though, which I'll mention later.

The inclusion of shrines was a sore point for many but I enjoyed looking for them and completing them, especially as each shrine gave you a token to use toward increasing your heart containers or stamina. Some are very short and simplistic but the majority of them are well thought out.

The Bad

The open world, although well designed and very pretty, can be a bit barren at times. There are very few major settlements throughout the map, aside from a handful of villages and stables to rest. I found myself spending too much time running across landscapes looking for something of interest, only to find very little.

Combat, although quite good, does have it's issues. Firstly, the lack of variety in enemies means it can get repetitive very quickly. Secondly weapon degradation is an issue. Many have pointed out this to be a minor annoyance, however I disagree. There's nothing worse than finding a great weapon only not to use because you don't want it to be destroyed after 3 hits. It takes away from the enjoyment of finding weapons. Also, during battles it's incredibly frustrating to have a weapon break and have to pause the game mid-battle to change it. It certainly helps break the immersion of the game.

Story is something that is an issue for many open world games (The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption being exceptions), and BOTW is no exception. There's a story in there somewhere, but it's very bare bones, and the open world format takes away any urgency of the main quest - "Please Link, you must get to Castle Hyrule as soon as you can and help Princess Zelda!" "Sure, but after I find 300 Korok seeds and all 120 shrines, then we'll think about it".

Overall, BOTW is a very good game, and is worth playing if you have a Wii U or Switch (well if you have a Switch, you've already bought it!). However, it's not the best open world game out there, and i fear that the very high scores are a lot to do with the fact that it has "The Legend of Zelda" tacked on to it. There are definitely much better open world games out there (Witcher 3, Skyrim, Horizon ZD, Red Dead Redemption, GTA V) but again, it's faults aside, it is worth playing and is an enjoyable game.
  18. Jul 14, 2017
    I don't understand all the 10/10 reviews. I finished this game today. It was disappointing from the start. I've played and enjoyed Ocarina of Time, Link to the past, Majora's mask, and many other legend of Zelda games, so I have some experience of the series.
    The music is dull, the graphics are nice but ultimately do not make up for the sparse storytelling, the uninspired game-play and the scaling of difficulty. Worst of all, this game does not live up to the previous series in terms of solving the dungeon puzzles. I didn't enjoy unlocking shrines.
    The first few hours are excruciating. It can take up to 10 hours for the game to pick-up and then the reward is minimal. After climbing this starting requirement, the game is actually too easy and the final boss was pitiful.
    Everyone praises the huge open world but most of is empty. They have taken an ordinary Zelda game and stretched it out. In fact, this is an apt metaphor for this game. The game may be longer, bigger and so forth - but this isn't matched with story elements, interesting characters, or enjoyable game-play - this game lacks depth. Every Zelda game but this one has hooked me from the start by making me care about the characters, having strong story elements, and rewarding puzzles (i.e. getting a cool new item as you complete a dungeon). Finally, the game lacks many of the enjoyable quirks that characterise the Zelda series.
    I look forward to these things being rectified in Breath of the Wild 2.
  19. Aug 5, 2017
    While I would consider BOTW an above average game, calling it a 10/10 masterpiece is just wrong. This trend happens with most new Zelda games, skyward sword which many people now consider to be "bad" is also blanketed with perfect scores and user reviews calling it a masterpiece. In truth, Breath of the Wild suffers from glaring design flaws... First is the world, the map is HUGE, butWhile I would consider BOTW an above average game, calling it a 10/10 masterpiece is just wrong. This trend happens with most new Zelda games, skyward sword which many people now consider to be "bad" is also blanketed with perfect scores and user reviews calling it a masterpiece. In truth, Breath of the Wild suffers from glaring design flaws... First is the world, the map is HUGE, but there's not much to do and there aren't enough enemy variations. Once you figure out how to dispatch a certain enemy (Lynel for example) its a matter of rinse and repeat on the next palette swap variant. Exploration is the main focus of the large map but I found it to be unrewarding. The biggest things to find or Korok seeds which are used to increase your inventory size...there are 900 of them... and they are often found simply hiding under rocks. Have fun traversing a large map literally turning over ever stone you see. Speaking of inventory size, get used to seeing "Your inventory is full" every time you open a chest. Others have mentioned their disdain for the weapon durability system, and I tend to agree with them. Having the ability to repair weapons would be nice... or having some sort of durability indication besides "oh btw, your weapon is about to break 5 minutes ago"

Not to knock the specs of the Switch, but I'm torn on whether or not BOTW is a good looking game. At certain times the landscape looks awesome, it's colorful and vibrant with an impressive draw distance...Other times the textures look muddy and gross, reminiscent of a ps3/x360 game to be perfectly honest. Another thing that erked me was the overall difficulty of this game. It's just not challenging. There are cooking mechanics that can break your game, plus being able to pause mid combat to heal yourself/restore your stamina really takes the edge out of combat/climbing.

The story was told almost entirely through memories which I couldn't find immersive or interesting. Overall the story is the average: save the princess, destroy Ganon. They really did not take ANY risks on the story.

The physics engine, whatever it is, is cool. Your movements and attacks have a good 'weight' to them and watching enemies ragdoll can be hilariously entertaining.

I believe that fandom and the launch of the switch propelled this game into getting high mark reviews it didn't fully earn. It's a fun game for sure, but It's just not a masterpiece in my opinion. I think in time we will look back at this Zelda game and consider it to be "just okay" much like the legacy of Skyward sword.
  20. Aug 22, 2017
    I'm using the scale of 1-10 where 5 is average, 7 is very good, and 10 is a game that's perfect, no flaws or frustrations to be had during my entire experience. As in, there is absolutely nothing I can say that I think would improve the game. So rating it a 7, I think this is a very good game. If you have a Switch, definitely pick it up, you'll probably have a good time regardless of theI'm using the scale of 1-10 where 5 is average, 7 is very good, and 10 is a game that's perfect, no flaws or frustrations to be had during my entire experience. As in, there is absolutely nothing I can say that I think would improve the game. So rating it a 7, I think this is a very good game. If you have a Switch, definitely pick it up, you'll probably have a good time regardless of the things you may not like about it.

Let's start with the good. The world is ENORMOUS and you really feel it. Seeing a mountain off in the distance that you have to run to before you can fast travel to has that grand feeling of wonder and exploration. The world feels alive and active, as well, with different weather patterns, events, and collectible flora and fauna to use in cooking and upgrades. Cold areas require special gear not to freeze to death, and hot areas require special gear not to die of the heat. Some areas rain frequently, some areas have thunderstorms that make it a bad idea to carry metal weapons around, some have sandstorms and blizzards and rolling blankets of fog that obscure your vision. It all makes each visit to an area that much more unique, since there will likely be a different weather forecast each day.

The art style is stunningly beautiful. It's as if they took cartoon drawings and directly translated them 1:1 into a game. It really speaks for itself.

The story is very compelling. Throughout the game, I genuinely wanted to know more about Link's past and was interested in learning more about all the people he met along the way. And with an entirely non-linear path (it's totally possible to beat the final boss from the get-go without breaking anything), the journey feels like it's my own unique pathway through the game.

I absolutely love the horse capture/training system in this game. Finding the perfect horse, registering and naming them, and forging a bond with them as you ride all feels surprisingly natural, and makes each horse you train feel special and personal. Though I'd prefer if patterned horses weren't arbitrarily worse than solid colored horses...

And now let's look at a few negatives, starting with the obvious durability system. The issue isn't having weapons to fight with, the issue is what the durability system brings to the table. Which is just making you pause mid fight to switch to the same weapon you were just using just for it to break again in the same fight because Lynels have a billion health and weapons don't. Previous Zeldas did just fine without a bizarrely hamfisted durability system, and Breath of the Wild would have lost nothing if they gave you less frequent, incremental upgrades rather than a mountain of weapons to break. In fact, it would have made combat, hitting stasised objects, and archery minigames actually fun to experiment with instead of just dreading having to break that one weapon you found because the game says so.

Draw distance, framerate, and resolution are all terrible due to the Switch's extremely limited processing power. I'll frequently find myself missing distant items or enemies simply because the game can't draw them from more than a moderate distance away, and in areas filled with visual effects the framerate plummets from its already sub-standard 30fps. It's sad to see such a grand idea for a game limited so severely due to only being released for underpowered hardware. While the Switch is a great mobile system, it certainly doesn't make a very good modern home console. But I digress.

Rain is also a big pain to deal with. If you need to climb somewhere and it's raining, you may as well just plop tour controller down and go make something to eat while you wait it out. And if the rain lasts for more than one weather segment, you could be sitting around doing nothing for minutes. I don't understand why they decided to add in this bit of realism instead of weapons that realistically didn't shatter into dust after a handful of encounters (or one big encounter).

There are a few puzzles that force motion controls. These same puzzles also give what you're controlling a significant delay. It basically feels like shouting instructions at someone across the room to do something that requires a deal of precision with how unresponsive it is. Not at all fun to deal with.

And finally, there are also puzzles that require precise player movement. The issue with this is that on top of Link not immediately moving as you instruct him, the Switch's joycons don't give nearly the level of precision required for these puzzles to not feel like a chore. I guess I just need to shell out another $70 on a pro controller...

Again, this is a great game, but I seriously fail to see how it gets perfect 10's. The intro area in particular almost made me quit the game right then and there because a cliff I had been climbing for the past few minutes decided to eject me off the edge of a platform I had just climbed onto. But I am glad I stuck with it.
  21. May 10, 2017
    Breath of the Wild is beautiful. It's enormous and abundant in exploration possibilities. It's challenging and very rewarding to those who take the time to master it.
    Almost completely ruined by the weapon breaking mechanic, which made it very easy to walk away from.
  22. May 31, 2017
    The more I thought about it the more I did not think this was anywhere close to a perfect game. It was still good overall with the bonus being a Zelda game.

Pros: - Excellent puzzles in the shrines - The 4 dungeons though small were also excellent - The world was overall pretty good as far as traveling and climbing - The runes were a lot of fun and sort of go along with the

Pros:
    - Excellent puzzles in the shrines
    - The 4 dungeons though small were also excellent
    - The world was overall pretty good as far as traveling and climbing
    - The runes were a lot of fun and sort of go along with the enjoyment of puzzles

Cons:
    - Weapon system just not a fan of the unrealistic durability
    - I love Zelda music. This game did not have that epic exploring feel. I understand in the open world for realness but give it as an option or make the 4 dungeons have that awesome music.
    - No achievements. Ok that is on the system but I feel to get all the shrines and do all the upgrading is entirely unnecessary to beat the game. Why have all these sidequests and large universe if they don't really matter for the end goal.
    - Too easy. You don't need to do much to easily beat the game. A couple health potions is all you need.
    - Combat. Basic overall. I did like some of the techniques used on the bosses that were creative but overall it was basic and unchallenging.
    - Enemies were very sparse. The ones you do find in the overworld I am not sure the point of fighting them.
    - Crafting I am not a big fan of in general. I am sure Zelda does it fine here but again you don't really need much of it.
    - Stamina meter. Wait it takes stamina to run and climb but not in combat?
  23. Jul 10, 2017
    The game is very good, but not the masterpiece everybody is overrating.

The game is amazing when it comes to the sense of adventure. Exploration element is good. It is very immersive as you feel like you have to take notice of everything around you, cook food, take shelter, hunt, change armor depending on area. The art style really suits it. Main quest is good. Shrine puzzles are
    The game is very good, but not the masterpiece everybody is overrating.

The game is amazing when it comes to the sense of adventure.
    Exploration element is good.
    The art style really suits it.
    Main quest is good.
    Shrine puzzles are awesome.
    Sound and music are good.
    Game word is diverse in terms of areas but not in terms of enemy diversity.
    After the boasting that Nintendo did about how Zelda is 1.5 times bigger than skyrim map, there are only 8 types of enemies with some enemies having different forms ice, fire, red, blue, etc.

Cons/needs improvement:
    The game falls short when it comes to actual progression of your character; By this i mean your character will not be any different than your friend who's also playing the game.
    This is a weak area in BotW when compared to the likes of Elder scrolls or Witcher where you have to upgrade skills and stats.

In Zelda the only choice you get to make when it comes to character progression/customization is whether you want to upgrade your health or stamina.
    Even when it comes to armors, most of the time you will be using a specific armor set not because its strong or looks cool but because you have to (in volcano area you need to equip the flamebreaker armor set for fire resistance, In desert area you need to equip the Gerudo armor for heat resistance, same for when it's raining you need shockproof armor or when its color you need cold resistance).

Weapons break after 30 seconds of using them means the game is basically treating an the weapon system as scraps/tools to use and throw away after a few slashes, instead of encouraging exploration to get a weapon that you want and grow attached to it.

Fighting monsters in the wild is pretty useless since you don't gain anything and lose more weapons.

Side quests are also a bit boring and bland. While some might argue it is a good thing that the game does not tell you where on the map you must go to complete a side quest to encourage exploration and immersion, and i agree to the extent that the side quest is interesting.
    In Zelda's case most side quests are so basic (go fetch "add here") that doing them does not feel worth the time since you rarely get anything noteworthy as a reward.
  24. Jul 29, 2017
    Breath of the Wild is not a Zelda game anymore. They've changed so much and made things worse.
    It could have easily be a real 10/10, if they just had sticked to the original Zelda formula.
  25. Jul 25, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. NOTE: If you don't feel like reading this long review, skip to the end for a summary.

As a someone who has beaten almost every game in the series, I can say with certainty that while The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most unconventional game in the Zelda series, Nintendo still managed to succeed in making one of the best Zelda games to date; however, that's not to say that this game is not lacking of shortcomings that hold it back.

This game is absolutely amazing; it's perhaps the first open world game that I've played that doesn't hold your hand or clutter your map with waypoints and icons when you unlock the obligatory tower for certain areas of the map. Nintendo did well in creating a game that allows the player to truly explore at the player's own volition. Furthermore, the open world is not only expansive, but the basic physics of the game make sense and are not isolated, but rather the mechanics work together in ways that will continue to surprise the player. With a plethora of things at your disposal, this game makes good use of the map (for the most part).

The only real grievance that I have with this open world is the space in between points of interest. many people complain about how the world seems "too barren" or "empty," but I think that the negative space there is good and keeps the map from being cluttered. The thing that I have a problem with, however, is the repetitive filler that is spread throughout areas that are obviously not as busy as others. It doesn't take long to realize that the same minibosses such as hinoxes or lynels, or the exact same skull shaped bokoblin encampments are litttered all over the map. What's perhaps even worse are the same, monotonous korok puzzles that are scattered across Hyrule. Furthermore, it doesn't take long for the player to realize that the various sidequests are relatively similar, and the reward for such sidequests is either a punitive amount of money, or a weapon that's most likely just as strong as the ones in your current inventory.

As far as the score, Nintendo doesn't fail to amaze the player in beautiful soundtrack. However, Nintendo falls a bit flat on implementing this wonderful music. Much like the map, the music is great in areas that are obvious points of interest, such as towns and shrines, but in areas where there is a lull, the music is a bit lacking. I know that Nintendo stated that they were going for a very melancholy journey that is accompanied with ambient noises rather than a real score, but for a company that is well known for their dynamic music and adaptive soundtracks, it's a bit disappointing to see that Nintendo didn't take this route for a title as large as Breath of the Wild.

Many people herald the combat as "the best in the Zelda series to date," and I would have to agree. But on the same note, it's sad to see that for a series as old as Zelda, the combat has only evolved to this state. Sure, the combat is unique for a while, but again, its charm wears off and the player soon realizes that there isn't really any difference in the weapons throughout the game other than the way they look and the damage they deal. Even the special weapons still manage to be not interesting; for instance, the elemental weapons or the guardian weapons are certainly interesting, but there's a spear, an axe, and a short sword for both of these weapon types, so they become less unique and less rare than you'd initially expect. Sure, there are some unique weapons such as the windcleaver, the boomerangs, or the magic rods, but they all seem to suffer from some mechanic where they have a fixed damage. So, while interesting to use, their fixed, weak damage output eventually makes them ineffective and obsolete once the player has progressed far enough into the game. Even worse, the combat in this game is plagued by the rudimentary "sit and wait for the oppoent to show his weakspot" based combat that is commonplace in all of the 3D Zeldas, and gimmicky mechanics like the perfect dodge don't help.

Dungeon design, however, is the best it's been in the 3D Zelda series. The main dungeons, while suffering a lack of any sort of unique theme, including the bosses (a problem that hasn't been seen since A Link to the Past), follow a more systemic and exploration basis for puzzles that will please those who favor a Link to the Past or the Oracle games, while the 120 shrines have the smaller, bite-size gimmick-based puzzles that fans of Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess will enjoy.

Summary:
    + Great open world that doesn't clutter your map or hold your hand
    + Interesting and fun physics that allow the player to interact with the large world
    + Best dungeon design in 3D Zelda to date
    + Amazing soundtrack and music
    - The filler in the open world is repetitive
    - Combat, while the best in the series, is still rudimentary and gimmicky
    - Weapons are "cookie-cutter" and flawed
    - Soundtrack is lacking where needed
  26. Jul 26, 2017
    A beautifully crafted world, with engaging combat and lots of small details, hurt by lack of substance where previous installments succeeded. Breath of the Wild often feels too big or too ambitious for its own good. Some important aspects were left aside in favor of picturing a vast, lively Hyrule, and while they undoubtedly achieved that, this Zelda entry felt lackluster at times - bossA beautifully crafted world, with engaging combat and lots of small details, hurt by lack of substance where previous installments succeeded. Breath of the Wild often feels too big or too ambitious for its own good. Some important aspects were left aside in favor of picturing a vast, lively Hyrule, and while they undoubtedly achieved that, this Zelda entry felt lackluster at times - boss fights, enemy variety, story, dungeons, music. Although all of these aspects have memorable moments in the 50h main quest, they never reach the quality level of its predecessors. Expand
  27. Sep 26, 2017
    Game is good for the most part but there are lots of issues that made the game, at least for me not that great. I'm sure many of you already know some of the main complaints but I'll list mines here.
    1. Weapons break too easily
    1. Weapons break too easily
    2. If weapons in your inventory is all good quality you will not want to fight any monsters because you don't want to damage them. This makes you as a player less engaged in fights, more than likely you will run past mobs of monsters instead of fighting and wasting all that gear being damaged.
    3. Lots of monsters are actually a waste of time if you fight them, the reward is sub par, you actually lose more fighting monsters than gain.
    4. Lack of music. Music is what make Zelda games memorable. After I beat this game (130 hours?) I did not have that attached feeling or that type of feeling like wow this was awesome. Lots of games have music so good where after 6+ years that you have beaten it, you will get this nostalgia feeling when you hear that music again. Zelda BOTW has NONE! Kinda sad really.
    5. This game to me was not hard enough, especially at the last climb to Hyrule castle. I beat the whole castle and Gannon using only one heal potion.
    6. Master Sword is not a master sword after all because if DOES break even when fighting Calamity Gannon minions, sure it lasts longer but it should not break at all.
    7. Zelda is the most annoying character in the game, she treats link like trash even when hes trying to help her. I don't know why he is even protecting her.
    8. Nearly all side quests have little to no reward. After you finish each side quest you will be questioning yourself like "I spent 4 hours on this side quest and I got 100 rupees are you kidding me?"

Other than those complaints this game is pretty good and very addicting. Is it better than Ocarina of Time? No. Is it worth the $60 for the cartridge? Definitely. I don't think anyone should skip this game, it is a must play.
  28. Oct 4, 2017
    Zelda: Breath of Wild is a fun game, even at the worst time it still had me on the edge of my seat. While the entire story is told in flashbacks, that and the side missions are boring, while not the best Zelda game, it is a great game that looks like it really did take years, Nintendo did a mediocre job at some things but they really did it this time.
  29. Oct 21, 2017
    The reviews for this game are ridiculous, there are too many glaring flaws to merit a 10. The music, which is usually epic in past games, is all but missing here. There is no real story, no major dungeons, and the weapon durability is awful. Getting better gear is almost a slap in the face as you know it will break sooner than later. Why there is no repair mechanic in this game is aThe reviews for this game are ridiculous, there are too many glaring flaws to merit a 10. The music, which is usually epic in past games, is all but missing here. There is no real story, no major dungeons, and the weapon durability is awful. Getting better gear is almost a slap in the face as you know it will break sooner than later. Why there is no repair mechanic in this game is a baffling design choice. How this game gets a pass for bad mechanics is amazing. This is the most UN-Zelda, Zelda game ever and surpasses Skyward Sword for worst in the series. The game is beautiful and exploring is fun though, I do enjoy just heading off and seeing what I can find. I would have enjoyed this more if it were a new IP, im convinced this game started life as something new and someone at. Nintendo demanded it changed. It is 7.5-8 tops. So many claim this is the best open world design ever, they are wrong. This game doesn’t do anything that hasn’t been done in other games and in some cases others have done it much better. Expand
  30. Sep 15, 2017
    Breath of the Wild is a decent and mostly fun open world game, but it is missing a lot that would make it a good Zelda game in my eyes.

-- For starters, it suffers a lot of the problems that a lot of other modern open world games do, where the content is stretched out quantity > quality type content. Skyrim has a lot of dungeons with copy-pasted aesthetic and radiant repeating quests for example. A good chunk of Breath of the Wild's content comes from having 100 shrines with a copy pasted aesthetic, fighting the same enemy outposts, and having 900 koroks to find (a task that, really, no one finds fun and is really tedious). This is the bulk of the overworld's content. So it ends up feeling kind of lacking. Especially when, other than a handful, the shrine puzzles are really easy and not that in-depth, and when you have 100 of them and only a handful are somewhat difficult, that's not a good ratio.
    Another a problem that comes from it being open world is how barren the overworld feels at times. You go through large expanses of just, emptiness, too large of expanses, even. And there's really no places to explore or discover other than shrines and koroks. There aren't any unique secret or interesting areas to find. It's just, well, kind of bland.
    The point being the actual content that is in the game is just overall not very engaging, innovated, or unique, despite what everyone claims.
    -- Outside of the problems that come from it being open world the other main issue is how much it lacks of core Zelda aspects and mechanics. Dungeons have always been a very big part of the series, especially dungeons where each one has its own theme. Breath of the Wild only has four dungeons and all of them share the same theme amongst them. In addition to that, all the dungeons are also really easy and not memorable at all.
    Along with reused dungeon aspects comes the fact that the bosses are all literally the same. They're all aspects of Ganon and other than different elements behave the same. This is a big downside in a series where boss fights have always been a focus, as well, and the series has a lot of memorable and unique bosses in it. Breath of the Wild does not have that. Another memorable part of the series is the OST. Most of the time playing Breath of the Wild is spent with no music outside of a few clicks of a piano, the OST is really only in towns and other similar places, which is a shame, really.
    -- The last and probably most impacting missing series staple is having a large variety of equipment and items at your disposal. Breath of the Wild has tons of breakable weapons to use, but they all bubble down into one of four categories, and outside of combat melee weapons there's not that many different items in the game. There's no hookshot or pegasus boots, two items that'd make for VERY good later game upgrades, there's no ball and chain which would have worked perfectly with the combat system, there's a lot of series staple items missing and it really is a shame, because it would have helped liven up the gameplay having more toys to play with. Instead Breath of the Wild has probably the least amount of items in it out of any 3D Zelda game.
    -- Breath of the Wild does some things right. The story is good, though the story is also not there that much. The characters are for the most part also good. The new species designs are great and other than looking washed out at times the game has a decent art style. But there's so many flaws in the game and there's so many elements of a good Zelda game missing that it boggles me that it has such perfect reception from the masses, and it's disappointing that there's so much missing when the base idea has so much potential.
  31. Mar 1, 2018
    So I wanted to actually play this for a while before I left a review so after about 40 hours I think I'm ready.
    Massive open world with great variety of environments and weathers. The survival aspect is superb.. The climbing mechanic they added was also a really nice touch and made exploring the world just that much better. You see a mountain and you're like "I wanna go and climb that mountain and see what's up there" and you can do every bit of that plus some. The story is good, not great but much better then the past couple of Zelda games. Side quest are also good, I think they could've improved more on these though. A lot of them seem kind of shallow and also I feel like there's not enough of them scattered threw out the world. A bethesda game like Skyrim or Fallout 4 feels like it has a smaller map but they feel that map with many memorable locations and more quests that are more fleshed out then BOTW, and I'm not even going to compare side quest in BOTW to side quests in the Witcher 3 (honestly BOTW can't compete with the Witcher 3 in this aspect).
    Dungeons. . . I really would've liked to see more large scale dungeons like in previous Zelda games. The 4 main ones are really short and really easy. I was honestly bored with them. I found many of the shrines to be more challenging then the 4 main dungeons. Oh and about the Shrines, sure there's a bunch of them (100 to be exact) and I like the aspect of completing these shrines for increasing your health and stamina to be a nice addition but I still would've like to see fewer more challenging shrines. The dungeons and the shrines I feel are really not all that good and I would much rather have the old large challenging dungeons in place of these.
    Weapon variety in this game is great but another big negative for me is the weapon durability mechanic. This is just annoying, weapons break far to easily and you can't repair any of them. It feels like fake difficulty because you have to keep picking up crappy weapons and use them and you don't get to keep any of the cool weapons you get besides the master sword. I would've like to see a much more indepth durability system with crafting and repairing and also make metal weapons last longer then the sticks. All the weapons no matter what they are seem to break after the same amount of use. I get like 3-4 hit's with a stick and with a metal sword it feels like I only get 4-5 hits before it breaks and I have to use the freakin stick anyways.
    Now on to performance. . . Performance on the switch is really unexceptable. Constant frame drops and only 30 fps. 720p resolution that actually drops down lower when playing in handheld mode and only 900p which also can drop when docked. Now this isn't really the games fault but the fault of the switch. I like that is portable but they really could've put more powerful hardware in the thing (plus WTF Nintendo only 32GBs of storage unless I shell out another $50 - $70 for a 128GB Micro SD card) after getting tired at the crappy frame rate while docked, I actually ended up downloading Cemu and running the game threw that with some mods that let me play it at 60fps and a resolution of 1440p which made the visuals look much, much better. Oh and visuals that's another thing I understand the switch doesn't have the power to do it, but the visuals look like a game from 2011 and not 2017 luckily the fantastic art style and weather system really make up for the lack fancy graphics and effects.
    So all in all I rate the game a 7/10 it's really good but not as good as everyone will have you believe, I consider the Witcher 3 a 9/10 and compared to that game BOTW sits at a solid 7. One piece of advice I would give you guys is if you actually OWN THE GAME and have a decent gaming PC then download Cemu and play it there instead of playing it docked on the switch. If you wanna play it on the go then the Switch is a great/only way to play.
  32. May 3, 2018
    The battle is not so good and the weapon system is awful. The short temple can't make me dive into the game, I really don't have feeling running around without specific goal.
  33. May 22, 2018
    Triste como fã da franquia ver um jogo sem as Dungeons tradicionais, num mundo aberto morto sem nada pra fazer, Itens e armas totalmente descartáveis e sem apego. Dungeons são genéricas como um jogo Indie qualquer. Mundo aberto desproporcional, vc passa horas andando até o ponto que deseja muitas vezes pra nada. Jogo é curto, mundo aberto é ilusão, é grande demais, porém sem nada praTriste como fã da franquia ver um jogo sem as Dungeons tradicionais, num mundo aberto morto sem nada pra fazer, Itens e armas totalmente descartáveis e sem apego. Dungeons são genéricas como um jogo Indie qualquer. Mundo aberto desproporcional, vc passa horas andando até o ponto que deseja muitas vezes pra nada. Jogo é curto, mundo aberto é ilusão, é grande demais, porém sem nada pra fazer. Se continuar nessa pegada devo parar de jogar a franquia.

Pros: Gráfico bonito e fisica ótima.
  34. Jun 12, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Should be called "Zelda: Hunt of the Shrines and Koroks." I will start by saying I have been a long term Zelda fan since "Link's Awakening" and "A Link to the Past" and I felt that this game was heading in the right direction but somewhere along the lines they lost track. Also, I have been avoiding all spoilers, gameplays, movies, music, or reviews of this game at all costs so I can go into it with a fresh perspective with zero expectations for a brand new fresh unbiased experience.

This will not be a full fledged review because it'll be too long. I'll keep it short with bullet points. Let's start with the pros.

PROS:
    - Great design and art style. I'm not a big fan of the chosen art style personally, but I can still appreciate and accept it for being good, even if it's not my style. I give it points here instead of docking it. Credit where credit is due.
    - Great sound and music. I love the sound of link running around, the clashing of weapons and items, the ambient and environmental sounds. They all are very soothing and fun to listen to.
    - Big and diverse open world. Whether you like the cold or want to be sweating next to a volcano this game has got you covered.
    - Being able to climb can be fun at times.
    - The divine beasts were pretty cool but were a bit weak.

CONS:
    - Horrible and annoying weapon system. Everything breaking every few hits and always worrying about dropping weapons to pick up new ones is a chore, not something fun to do.
    - Climbing is kind of... annoying and indecisive. You seemingly can climb everything, literally. Even most flat 90 degree surfaces or even surfaces that slope outwards where realistically a seasoned climber would even fail to do. All this and in some places your climbing ability is randomly disabled entirely just for the sake of the level not being too easy. Very convenient.
    - Cooking food and elixirs is annoying not really necessary. I used less then five elixirs all game (most were given to me by NPC), most of the food I just cook an apple with something hearty and that's all I need to get a full recovery plus a few hearts. I didn't bother with all the other ingredients, combinations, or recipes at all. It's just another component that acts mainly as noise instead of something I'd love to do and look forward to do in a Zelda game.
    - The world is boring. Yes, it's beautiful and vast, but that's about it, literally. Here, I'll describe 95% of the whole world of this game: take a snapshot of the entire map, randomly distribute goblin camps around, some animals here and there, and a bunch of shrines and koroks hidden around. That's pretty much it. I was excited to explore the world at first but I quickly found that no matter where I go, it's just a bunch of goblins, repetitive puzzles from koroks, and repetitive shrines. What's over here? a korok. Let's climb that mountain! A shrine. Let's glide down to this forest and see what's here! Another korok puzzle... go around the corner, another shrine! Also goblins. Rinse. Repeat.
    - Shrines were very annoying. I felt like they REALLY want to promote you hunting shrines as the main goal of the game. 95% of the shrines were literally kill one machine, or use one of your skills once to solve this easy puzzle. Then you get a weak breakable weapon and an orb. It doesn't feel rewarding and feels like a cheap cop-out to make the game seem longer than it really is. Once in a while there's a decent shrine and a better item, but that's like one our of ten or fifteen shrines. Average of 10mins per shrine, 120+ shrines, that's at LEAST 20 hours gameplay they pushed into these shrines... the Koroks are even worse.
    - No sense of adventure or curiosity to explore because every time I do, it's the same shrine, the same goblins, the same korok, etc. I quickly rushed through the story after running to uncover the maps by finding all the towers.

Overall I expected to put in over 100 hours because I'm the type of person to want to get everything, unlock everything, find everything, and become as strong as I can be. Started the game and started running around exploring. Didn't find much so I went on with the story, unlocked the divine beasts, then found all the towers to unlock the map, then rushed on to beat Ganon. I had 13 hearts total and the ancient armor. Gave up on exploring because I already know what I would find. Overall I think I put in 40 hours? and maybe half is running around, shrines, and koroks. Older games favor backtracking as you gain more abilities. This game you get ALL of your abilities from the start so you lose the sense of progression as well. Overall a good game, not great game. Worth trying at least once.
  35. Jul 19, 2018
    many many things.... but boring. Avery time I am trying to play I see : "run, run, run.... fight, puzzle.... run, run, run...."
  36. Mar 14, 2017
    Story - Of course, its your typical Zelda game with good vs evil or to be specific Link (amnesiac) vs. Calamity Ganon. The difference in this installment is that before the start of the game. Zelda lost...thats that. Nothing really interest me the whole campaign nor there was any good characterization of each and every character. Its like the game assumes you know who is who and what isStory - Of course, its your typical Zelda game with good vs evil or to be specific Link (amnesiac) vs. Calamity Ganon. The difference in this installment is that before the start of the game. Zelda lost...thats that. Nothing really interest me the whole campaign nor there was any good characterization of each and every character. Its like the game assumes you know who is who and what is and whats not. I cant say it is bad, but on today's standards...Typical doesn't do anymore. A score of 7/10

Gameplay - Now this is where the game shines. Its gameplay is great! The open world is interactive, storms gets you lightnings if you wield a sword, rain makes climbing slippery and boxed, things, etc. actually hurt when it falls on you, Fruits actually grow on trees through time. The fighting mechanics is also good, with the addition of parries and slow motion mode. Added those things with the unique and classic great puzzles of the zelda franchise. However, not everything is perfect in this aspect. The durability system is **** up that weapons get destroyed in 5-6 hits used. in fact you need atleast 20x of each types of weapons to actually not worry about losing them, next the bosses as well as ALL enemies of this game has bad AI, other than them looting weapons on the ground(which is cool btw) nothing really gives me any challenge from any of them. You just need to press that attack button and no need of actual dodging to actually beat most of the creeps ingame and lastly, the world despite being ok, is lifeless. Therefore, a score of 8/10

Graphics - Well, its cartoonish, colorful but....Its butt ugly as of today's console standards. Yeah the graphics IS decent in handheld mode, but the console is really a pain in the eyes to see. Its so outdated, the design of walls, etc. pixels are so obvious its painful. Thus, a fair score of 6/10.

Sound - I dont have any complaints with the soundtrack of the game. Its great, the intruments used are good, pleasant to the ears and soothing. The same could not be said to the character voice though, i could say the devs didnt really put any effort on that aspect which clearly showed how lazy they are in doing atleas a decent job in putting gooding voice acting to the game's characters. A score of 8/10

Total average = 7.25

First of all. Imo, seeing how HIGH this game in the critics column of the game page. I could say its really overrated. Seeing as most of the reviewers that made it where mostly likely been a fan of the franchise since they were little and that feel of nostalgia got them to be biased with the game. As for me, its not right, BOTW IS A GOOD GAME, but no way in hell it is a masterpiece. The game doesn't really did any revolutionary in its gameplay to consider it a "best" nor its story is that engrossing too as well its graphics and environment ist really that good or anything. IT IS JUST A GOOD GAME WITH A ZELDA TITLE. hell, i think if its another title an d without "zelda" in it then this would be averaging 70-75 in the metacritic. regardless, i gave what i feel a score that shows what the game is to those potential buyers. Is it worth it if you have a switch? well, you dont have a choice since its the only decent out there. But imo, wait for more good games to come out before buying switch.
  37. Mar 14, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before you lose your minds, understand this is a good game and it's worth a purchase if you enjoy Zelda and I love Zelda, it's my favorite series.

With that said - Breath of the Wild tries very hard to be a modern open world Dark Soulsy meets Skyrim kinda game but the mechanics cause it to fall on it's face. One hit kills are a thing. Lock on isn't as easy to use as before. Weapons are as durable as icicles on a hot summer's day (unless in the enemies hands, they never break then) until you have grinded hours and can get better ones and the promise of "do anything you want, BotW says YES" comes with the fine print of "as long as you have the right gear/food/hearts/stamina/amiibos/etc". The Pay To Win amiibo aspect is also predictable but disappointing. Be warned that things like getting Epona via Amiibo comes with the fine print of "if you turn off your game or don't stable her, it never works again". Also be warned the strategy guide seems to purposely be missing things like amiibo functionality which is unforgivable and should be there to prevent things such as having to restart due to losing Epona.

So with that out of the way, let's talk about the positives. This game is beautiful. The world is beautiful. Finally being able to scale mountains is amazing and the fact that you can take your time and do numerous side quests or just explore instead of being stuck in the main story is a huge improvement. Cooking your own elixirs and food can give you a near limitless supply of health, stamina, and other items so you don't need to worry about purchasing them or having the luck to find them. There are so many great things that were added to this game that it's a shame the bad mechanics and flaws bog them down. This could have easily been a truly incredible experience, not a 10 because few games are that perfect, but at least a 9.

If you love Zelda, buy this. Don't be afraid of the Wii U version if you can't get a Switch, there isn't a huge amount of difference. If you're not into Zelda, then this is probably a skip. Other games did open world better and those will be more to your liking but if you feel little tingles of excitement every time you get a new chance to adventure with Link like me, you want this - flaws and all - just because it's Zelda.
  38. Mar 14, 2017
    Legend of Zelda BoTW what is there to say about this game that hasn't already been said. Its a huge open world adventure game that puts you in the shoes of the hero of hyrule yet again.

Pros: Open world Lots to explore with the shrines and side quest Voice acting Hours and hours of content. Cons: This may be me but if feels as if it spikes in difficulty to fast Weapon durability

Pros: Open world
    Lots to explore with the shrines and side quest
    Voice acting
    Hours and hours of content.

Cons: This may be me but if feels as if it spikes in difficulty to fast
    Weapon durability is way to small this is a big sticking point for me
    Finally Dungeons there are only a hand full and they are short I guess you
    could say that it was balanced out with the shrines but they could of used a
    little more for the big dungeons.

Thoughts: Should you play this game? Yes I recomend this game whole heartedly. It is a good game just has a few design choices that make it feel more like scavenging game than an adventure game.
  39. Mar 16, 2017
    I have super, super mixed feelings about this game. To provide some context, I have grown up playing games from Japanese RPG series, and I only play JRPG's mostly because I know I'll enjoy them, and there's too many games in the world to try with too little time, so I limit my choices to games I know I'll love - games from the Legend of Zelda series being one of them. I am also prettyI have super, super mixed feelings about this game. To provide some context, I have grown up playing games from Japanese RPG series, and I only play JRPG's mostly because I know I'll enjoy them, and there's too many games in the world to try with too little time, so I limit my choices to games I know I'll love - games from the Legend of Zelda series being one of them. I am also pretty flexible with the games I like, the FF series has changed their gameplay style almost every game, and besides the online games, I've played and enjoyed all of them. So, I have played a mix of open-world and linear games, and tend to prefer something in the middle.

Before I delved into BOTW, I decided to play and beat Wind Waker HD to get myself reacquainted with the Zelda series before this game, because the last time I played a Zelda game was Skyward Sword in 2011, which I loved. And I loved Wind Waker as well. I knew this game would be a bit different with an open-world concept, though I have played similar open-world ish JRPGs before, so wasn't too worried. Though, almost 20 hours put into the game, I did not feel the same level of engagement that I immediately felt with Wind Waker just a couple of weeks before, and I decided to pause playing it.

The story is not as engaging as previous titles. While the previous games pulled me in right away, I felt like I was trying to hurriedly get through the first four shrines in the beginning of the game just so I could get to what was happening. And this is the main issue I have with this game. As someone who appreciates a good story and character development in a game, the benefit of exploring a vast, virtual world in order to do so, is not appealing. I also enjoy doing side quests in JRPG's, and try to do all of them. But the side quests in here hinder me from progressing to the main story, and reap rewards that aren't very helpful. I also tend to hoard items and weapons whenever I play, and the fact that weapons and shields have to be thrown away or broken at some time, really bothers me.

I love the graphics and the character design, the world is quite beautiful. I liked how the runes are incorporated and can be used pretty flexibly (though would lead me to mostly try to use bombs to kill enemies because I didn't want a sword to break or arrows to run out -_-). The method of taming horses is cool too. For me, the fun kinda stops there though. I play games to destress from the difficulties of the world, and just kick back and play through a good story, and on the contrary this game stresses me out. @_@ A virtual world can be too vast for some people, perhaps.

I think I will try to beat this game at some point, but the excitement that I usually feel for a Legend of Zelda game isn't there. I could just be becoming a dated gamer (hopefully not, in my mid 20s here), but I miss the intricate dungeons, the different tools (hookshot, boomerang, etc), and most especially the engaging story and lovable characters. I think this game is more appealing to those who play Western RPGs more, though I hope the next title in the Zelda series tries to attempt a more universal appeal and mixes both linear and open world storytelling (maybe something like Xenoblade). If not, I think I will keep to re-playing the older games, which is fine with me, and stick with new games from JRPG series that release games that creatively build on their previous games without needed to transform it completely.

I'm glad most people are happy with this game and perhaps are even getting introduced to the Zelda series for the first time (because it's an awesome series!! Go to the LoZ concerts!!). Though for me, this is just an okay game outfitted with the Zelda name (did not mean to make that rhyme, but it came out well). There is not much really besides the names of the characters and typical Zelda items (master sword, boomerang) that make the connection with the rest of the series, and if these characteristics are swapped out, no one would know this is part of a series, and that's really disappointing to me. For now, I'll put it down and use my destressing time to play the recently new entry of another JRPG series that I am enjoying, and get back to this one later.

Overall, if you are like me and like JRPG games that put a lot of emphasis on storytelling and character development and have fun gameplay, this may not be your cup of tea. Though if you love open world games and exploring virtual areas with little direction to go through the story your own way, and don't mind doing tasks in video games w/o incentives, then you will most likely enjoy this game.

Whichever type of gamer you are, how well you enjoy a game is ultimately up to you, and don't let others push you down for what your opinion is, whether you love this or any game or don't (my wise words after reading forum discussions that are virtual war zones w/ words).
  40. Mar 24, 2017
    This game looks beautiful, has some good game mechanics but has a pretty boring story (didnt grow up playing zelda). Ontop of the boring story, it quickly gets lonely in this large world. The primary fun things are the ruins but after a while the puzzles get tiring and you dont have much left to do but to fight random enemies that are scattered around the land.
    This feels like a lord of
    This feels like a lord of the rings game without the ring.. I just dont feel any compelling reason to beat the game. I feel like this was beyond hyped and really is only for zelda fans.

Overall i was disappointed.
    Snipperclips is the hidden launch title gem btw.
  41. Mar 13, 2017
    Eh, it was pretty good, certainly not bad, but not as euphorically amazing as a lot of reviewers seem to be claiming. Here's a rundown:

GOOD - Solidly implemented open-world mechanics for combat, survival, exploration, and stealth. None of it is particularly groundbreaking but all is done well with the usual Nintendo polish. - Hyrule is varied, colorful, and appealing, reminiscent of

GOOD
    - Hyrule is varied, colorful, and appealing, reminiscent of a Miyazaki movie
    - Plenty of good music
    - While some dislike the breakable-weapon system, I think they implement it well and like the way it forces you to use a wide variety of weapons throughout the game
    - I really like the design of the Divine Beasts and the general concept of having dungeons inside these massive lumbering cyber-steampunk monsters
    - In general they do a good job of letting you go everywhere practically right from the start, with the caveat that many areas are dangerous and require specialized gear to traverse safely. It gives the world a good sense of mystery and adventure
    - Good sense of character growth & progression throughout the game as you gain better equipment, new abilities, and more life/stamina
    - They do a good job of incentivizing you to constantly collect whatever you can, as ingredients wind up having lots of uses in cooking and upgrading

BAD
    - Story is very thin, and if you don't bother hunting for (totally optional) memories practically nonexistent: "Calamity Ganon is in the castle! Go stop him and save Zelda!" "OK, sure" THE END
    - The characters were pretty weak too IMO. The only one of the Champions who left any impression was Mipha since she actually seemed to have meaningful connections to other people. The rest were blah.
    - I wasn't a fan of this angsty, conflicted version of Zelda too, especially since she doesn't get a proper arc: basically she's worried she's a failure because her powers haven't materialized, then they eventually materialize at the last possible moment and everything works out THE END
    - Later in the game the lack of enemy variety becomes pretty annoying. Palette swaps of Bokoblins, Moblins, and Lizalfos constitute the vast majority of enemies you'll face and it all gets very same-y.
    - The prospect of slaughtering and eating countless wild animals (including wolves and foxes) is pretty grim for Nintendo. I must have farmed hundreds of moose for their precious, precious meat and did not feel like a legendary hero while I did it.
    - I was very annoyed at the section where Link dresses up like a harem slave to sneak into an all-woman city. That kind of stuff doesn't belong in a family-friendly game, Nintendo.
    - The actual design of the Divine Beast dungeons was unimpressive. They're all basically just variations on "tilt it this way, now that way" over and over again.
    - Hyrule Castle itself was a huge disappointment. I guess it's tough if you actually WANT to spend tons of time poking around and dodging Guardians, but I just swam up the waterfall and climbed up to a window, whole thing took less than 10 minutes
    - Once you've beaten Ganon it sinks in that there's not much point in continuing to explore the world, since you're not going to find any bigger challenges and there's little point in trying to get even stronger (especially if that means farming the same stuff over and over again). All that's left is OCD collecting and box-checking.
  42. Mar 14, 2017
    It's an okay game. The world is cool, there's lots of stuff to do, but sadly there's too many things interrupting you from playing the game (limited stamina, weapon made of glass, constantly having to faf through the menus.) And while the puzzle are fun, they feel extremely out of touch with the rest of the universe, confined in very one-tone mini dungeons, while the rest of the game seemsIt's an okay game. The world is cool, there's lots of stuff to do, but sadly there's too many things interrupting you from playing the game (limited stamina, weapon made of glass, constantly having to faf through the menus.) And while the puzzle are fun, they feel extremely out of touch with the rest of the universe, confined in very one-tone mini dungeons, while the rest of the game seems to ignore the fact that this is a zelda game. Expand
  43. Mar 14, 2017
    This game looks pretty fresh, but gameplay is poorly balanced. Each weapon is made of literally glass and breaks after 5-15 hits. No matter how you insist about being "openworld rpg" it does not making it better rpg, its only making it more empty, it breaking the flow of the game, and if some games, like skyrim or witcher 3 builded arround this concept wisely, here i feel it a bit empty, aThis game looks pretty fresh, but gameplay is poorly balanced. Each weapon is made of literally glass and breaks after 5-15 hits. No matter how you insist about being "openworld rpg" it does not making it better rpg, its only making it more empty, it breaking the flow of the game, and if some games, like skyrim or witcher 3 builded arround this concept wisely, here i feel it a bit empty, a bit ubisofty if you ask me/ Its good game, but not 10out10 in any way. Expand
  44. Mar 15, 2017
    I'll start off by saying I am keeping this review as honest as possible and 6/10 is NOT a "bad review", the game is good but the faults I've encountered just sorta chip away at the fun for me.

The combat is simple, but varied and I've found myself using a large variety of weapons, however not by choice. The weapon degradation (or rather fragility) is something I cant bring myself to forgive, especially with how severe it is, the basic trash weapons I can understand breaking quickly, but if I find a weapon with solid damage that is (relatively) hard to find then it should last more than 8 swings. This constant fumble for weapons and inventory management isn't fun for me and breaks up the combat way too much, alongside forcing me to decide if an enemy is even worth breaking my weapons on.

The visuals are beautiful, though I found my frames dipping a lot in bad weather and mountains. The art-style is minimalist, but not simple and the physics in combination is pretty damn impressive for a game on a hybrid handheld console..

The story I feel could have been great, but I found digging for breadcrumbs rather tedious and wishing I got to see more of the other characters. Some of the characters I honestly wish I could play instead of Link, they seemed more interesting, deep and fleshed out.

The world is expansive and deceptively large, expanding more and more as you play. The stamina meter often puts a hamper on the experience until you've invested time into increasing it's size however.
    The enemies are probably the biggest highlight of the game, they're interesting, cute and truly feel like they live in the world around you, often times they're interacting with things in a way I wouldn't expect from a nintendo game.

Overall, the game is pretty damn good if I must say so, but the glaring things in the game like excessive weapon degradation punishing players at every turn, stamina nagging at you for having too much fun and the constant dips in framerate (yes, even when docked) made for a rather taxing experience that didn't start to feel tolerable until I was very deep into the game.

6/10, stop putting weapon degradation in games.
  45. Mar 13, 2017
    I'm a great fan of Zelda series;
    I have completed most of Zelda's games from "A link to the past" to "The wind waker".
    I have bought Zelda and the Nintendo Switch to revive my old passion for this beautiful series, but it has really disappointed my expectations. After entering more and more on the real gameplay of Breath of the Wild, i feeling annoying and unsatisfied. After i have
    I'm a great fan of Zelda series;
    After i have discovered first villages and played "dungeons", i feel playing another game.
    Zelda of the past years contains long and difficult dungeons, in those Zelda they are only mini games and four - five dungeon.
    Let's talk of the World Map: what the meaning of having a really extensive world map but with only few contents?
    This is not the game that i expect;
    This is a Zelda too different from other games.
  46. May 23, 2017
    You are basically travelling, visiting, cooking and helping people for hours and hours because fighting break your beloved weapons, story is not that immersive, shrine and korok seeds grinding is repetitive and main quests too less to make it a great game.
    I hope upcoming DLC will breathe some more life into it.
  47. GK0
    Mar 13, 2017
    Really good game - great graphics, the music is fantastic, the story is good, but the stamina bar location is kind of irritating and the fact that weapons break literally every 10 seconds during combat is so incredibly stupid. Weapon durability systems are garbage and should stay in the trash heap of design choices where they belong.
  48. Mar 12, 2017
    Good: This game explores open world in a brand new way that hopefully other triple A games pick up on. The way Link moves around and explores the map from climbing to custom map markers makes this world more open than any open world before it. The map is bigger than Skyrim and smaller than the Witcher 3, but it is the only one where 100% of the maps surface is explore-able, thanks to theGood: This game explores open world in a brand new way that hopefully other triple A games pick up on. The way Link moves around and explores the map from climbing to custom map markers makes this world more open than any open world before it. The map is bigger than Skyrim and smaller than the Witcher 3, but it is the only one where 100% of the maps surface is explore-able, thanks to the mechanics of exploration.

Te combat is interesting and makes you think more than past Zelda titles. You can't just charge into a battle with even smaller enemies and expect to live. The world is full of things to do, and the biggest problem with completing objectives is how easy it is to get distracted on your way. The funny but sensible cartoon physics make the game more interesting.

The NPCs are all super interesting, and dialogue with them is snarky and funny. They also act like a regular village or explorers and make the world feel alive.

Bad: Despite how excellent an open world game this is, it did make mistakes.
    The destructible weapons mechanic is one you can get used to. But that is the best I can say for it. It doesn't really add much to the game. It gets you to try more types of weapons, but there are only about 5 types and worrying about breaking your good ones actually locks you into using your worst and least enjoyable weapon most of the time. They could have included the varying weapon system and allowed people to keep the best weapons they got and achieved the same effect.

The cooking mechanic is kind of fun for the first couple meals you cook, but then it gets tedious. They should have used it exclusively for stat buffing, and left in game health recovery and buy-able health potions, so only those who wanted to cook a lot had to, and no one had to spend twenty minutes preparing their health recovery items.

Zelda does dungeons better than any other series out there. There are plenty of great dungeon crawlers, but none of them have the unique, beautiful, puzzling, and epic dungeons the Zelda series is famous for. This game does away with that.

There are few dungeons, and they are all short and have a bland, brown aesthetic. They combined could have made a single dungeon in another Zelda game, and not a very interesting one.

They used shrines, mini-dungeons, to address this. The problem is the shrines also have a consistently boring aesthetic, and aren't that interesting either. I completed every single shrine in game, and maybe 10 of them had interesting puzzles. The rest of the shrine puzzles were pretty obvious, and more designed to show of the game mechanics than to puzzle you. On top of that a huge chunk of them was just a repeat of the same three kind of boring fights with the same slightly varied enemy. An enemy that could have easily just been an over world enemy.

The side quests are almost all just fetch quests. There are a few really interesting and fun ones, but overall they are kind of boring, and most of the interesting ones are just a shrine in disguise.

Shrines end up making up for what the game is lacking in both dungeons and side quests, and while they are cool on their own, they are not enough to make up for either of those things. They at best can replace the over world puzzles that led to getting heart pieces before, they serve the same purpose and have the same length and difficulty. So they took three of the best parts of the series and tried to bundle them into one inadequate mechanic. If the shrines were put together you would have enough content for just under two dungeons in this game, including all of the actual dungeons.

Concerning other reviews: Yes, this is getting extra high scores because people are on a New Zelda high, and that will die down eventually. However anyone who has tried the game obviously knows it isn't a zero either. These people are just petty and for some reason offended that a game which isn't their favorite got good reviews.Ignore those morons, and don't believe people who overpraise it either. In a few months they will stop being so hyped up they can more accurately assess this game.

Its great, but could have been much better. This game does the worst thing you could to a lifetime Zelda fan. It gives you the craving to play Zelda, but it doesn't satisfy or meet that craving. This is mostly because of the lack of interesting dungeons and in depth side quests.

I give it a 6.5 out of 10.
  49. Mar 23, 2017
    The best Zelda game? Maybe. Personally, LttP will always be the quintessential Zelda experience. But we are talking about BotW.

This game is a great entry into the 3D open world genre and the physics system is quite fun, allowing you do float objects with baloons. On the surface, it doesnt seem very special, but later when you find yourself bombing grass for flames just to swap to your parachute to use the wind currents generated by the flames to drop in on an unsuspecting encampment and you gain an appreciation for the nuances this system lends to your playstyle.

The story is good for a Zelda game, but don't expect an epic tale of any sort. The worst here is how lame Gannon feels in this game. He doesnt come across as particularly powerful and dont expect to learn much about his character or motives. He's simply the generic bad guy this time around and hardly memorable.

Now the bad.

The UI is awful, you cant reassign buttons, they arent intuitive, and early game weapons break often times every other screen making the first 6 hours of the game feel like an exercise in menu navigation management. The interface doesnt lend well to how many weapons drops given your limited inventory space. Due to the frequency by which your weapons break, the band aid fix was to throw a limitless supply of loot at you so often you'll find yourself spending far too much time browsing your inventory and dropping weapons to pick up new ones, until you get to the point where you wont pick stuff up anymore.

Another issue is the lack of music, much of the game is supported by ambient noise and what music is here, isnt anything compared to older games in the series.

Lastly, On NX Switch, the game suffers frequent frame drops and stuttering in docked 900p mode. This is mostly resolved in portable mode. And DigitalFoundry on youtube has done a great video on documenting this topic.

Ultimately, I can only give this game a 7.5 out of 10. This game was a GREAT Zelda game, but just missed the mark on several issues and ultimately takes a hit due to performance. I think many of these reviewers are doing a disservice rating botw 10/10 which should be reserved for Genre defining works of art rather than just a good game.
  50. Oct 1, 2017
    The game itself may be fun at first but the more you play it the more dull it feels the combat isn't very interesting and the types of weapons that aren't just different because of their higher damage, is low and the enemies aren't much of a threat if you think that the "Master" mode will be more difficult you are wrong, what is actually does is make gameplay MORE dull and boring as theThe game itself may be fun at first but the more you play it the more dull it feels the combat isn't very interesting and the types of weapons that aren't just different because of their higher damage, is low and the enemies aren't much of a threat if you think that the "Master" mode will be more difficult you are wrong, what is actually does is make gameplay MORE dull and boring as the enemies have more health and regenerate said health making any strategy that doesn't involve damaging the enemy every 2.5 seconds invalid. The map design although is pretty enjoyable and by far the best part of the game is just exploring and doing puzzles but even then the puzzles can be pretty dull sometimes. There is also very little true adventure in the game it never feels as though you really are at risk, making you just get bored and listen to a podcast or something while walking through the open plains of hyrule. Expand
  51. Mar 15, 2017
    Here is why Zelda Breath of the Wild is not a 10/10 game -

1. Frame rate (FPS) .... abysmal at times dipping below 30 which is totally unacceptable for this sort of game. 2. Copy and pasted towers all over the place that you need to go to. I couldn't believe Nintendo couldn't do better than that. 3. A bad camera where you have no options to change things. 4. Enemy AI at times is
    Here is why Zelda Breath of the Wild is not a 10/10 game -

3. A bad camera where you have no options to change things.
    4. Enemy AI at times is pathetic. Enemies staying up in towers when it is clear they are getting nowhere firing at your with arrows from there and also even when they see their foes dying they don't come to their aid.
    5. Stamina meter
    6. Weapons breaking all the time for so little use. What in the hell was Nintendumb thinking?
    7. The game on the Nintendo Switch barely looks better than the Wii U version as only a few simple lighting effects add more glare which is actually blinding at times so there may be players that don't even like the so called extra graphical feature.

ETC. ETC.
  52. Apr 6, 2018
    The term glass cannon comes to mind when playing this game–as well as tedium. Before I go into the shortcomings of this game let me just say that this is one of the best Hyrule universes that I have been able to experience in a Zelda game… Now, with that said, it seems that for everything that could have been amazing about this game is then dialed back a few notches with some strangeThe term glass cannon comes to mind when playing this game–as well as tedium. Before I go into the shortcomings of this game let me just say that this is one of the best Hyrule universes that I have been able to experience in a Zelda game… Now, with that said, it seems that for everything that could have been amazing about this game is then dialed back a few notches with some strange in-game mechanic choices…
    Creating fake difficulties with cheap game design, like enemies that give you forever and a day to hit them only to be hindered with your porcelain weapons constantly breaking all the time… Dialog choices that don’t lead to different outcomes (like the damn paraglider tasks). And a little green doughnut that is fighting hard to become even more notable than the tri-force…
    So, to sum up my opinion, Breath of the Wild is a great game that takes three steps forward but two back as with features that do not really add to the game’s difficulty or enjoyability as much as attempt to pad the amount of time spent playing it.
  53. Mar 12, 2017
    The Bad:
    The Bad:
    The breakable weapon system is flawed because it does NOT redeem itself later by allowing the player to find an ultimate, unbreakable, reliable weapon to give closure to the system. It forces you to deal with its breakable weapons the entire game, INCLUDING the Hylian Shield, and having to recharge the Master Sword. The player NEVER gets the feeling of satisfaction and security and completion knowing he has finally worked his way up and acquired the final unbreakable weapons. There ARE NO unconditionally unbreakable weapons. This is DEEPLY disappointing, and an absolute deal breaker! Even at his most "leveled up" in the game, no matter how much time you spend building up Link, he will ALWAYS be forced to walk around Hyrule, as the Hero of Time, with BREAKABLE weapons. Again, this would be fine if it redeemed itself later on, but it doesn't. It's an open-ended, ongoing weapon breaking system. No unconditionally powerful Master Sword or Shield. It's a disastrous decision for the series.
    Overworld music: THERE IS NONE. Did you love the sweeping Hyrule music in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess? Did you love the atmospheric overworld music in Majora's Mask? Did you love the liberating sailing music of Wind Waker? Well, it's GONE. NO OVERWORLD MUSIC. And things get boring really fast. The only sounds you get are some random flourishes or taps of piano keys, some quick stringed instrument sounds, and everything else is nature sounds. This is virtually a universal complaint at this point, and a very bad decision by the developers. Music gives the world it's character. Breath of the Wild has to rely SOLELY on the beauty of its landscapes, because there is no overworld music which would have COMPLETED the experience of travel and exploration. Instead, it leaves much to be desired, unfulfilling, and at times boring.
    On to the good:
    The scenery is breathtaking, the glider is a magical experience, horseback travel is the best of any game to date, and the actual combat gameplay is very challenging, engaging, and much more intellectual and skilled than any Zelda game before it. Skyward Sword tried to become more realistic with its motion controls, but didn't quite live up to the hype that Nintendo tried to make for it. Breath of the Wild's engaging combat is much more natural, much more realistic. The bosses and common enemies are more mature in their design (much less kiddy than Windwaker and Skyward Sword.)
    All in All, this is a good game, but a letdown for a Zelda game. It is an open-world (open air) game more than anything else. It does the open world aspects right, with the exception of not including music. The voice acting is mediocre (more British voice acting {For Zelda}), and the story is pretty average. If you are a longtime Zelda player, this will likely disappoint. If you are looking for a change of pace for the series (and i mean a COMPLETE CHANGE), while not doing everything better, then this will be a good choice.
    --- I gave this review score based on what I literally think it should be scored. I was not trying to engage in a battle of averages. I truly believe my score is just.---
  54. Mar 15, 2017
    Breath of the Wild is a very fun game, and it has voice acting which is generally pretty good but can be dodgy at times. However it loses major points with its weapon durability system that proves to be nothing more than an enormous headache. Aiming is a bit of a pain in the ass as well and arrows never seem to go as far as you'd expect.

It's a good game and it looks like a lot of fun,

It's a good game and it looks like a lot of fun, but the intense frustration of the poorly designed weapon durability system is no end of frustration.
  55. Jun 26, 2017
    Been playing Zelda games since the early 90s and this is easily the most impressive world they have ever created. It's just a shame they put nothing in it. I 100% completed this game just so I could say this confidently: This game is trite. Look up the word, and you'll know I'm right.

It's almost as if the creators are laughing at me for collecting all 900 seeds. When you get 900 Korok seeds, you're rewarded with a gold trophy that looks like a pile of **** and in the description it even says it stinks.

+ Huge World
    + Exploring, especially the climbing and flying around
    + Shield surfing

- There's nothing in the enormous world but repetitive shrines and a billion Korok Seeds. While on the topic of Korok Seeds. There are 900 seeds, discovered by 12 different puzzles. 900/12=75. That means you are doing the the average Korok Seed puzzle 75 times each. That's awful.
    - Cooking was tedious and made Link unkillable
    - Weapons/Shields/Bows all broke too easily
    - The Master Sword has a battery life
    - No balance in the 4 main dungeons (the 2nd was a rubix cube the others were a joke)
    - Lack of enemies, especially in the 4 dungeons
    - All the bosses look the same and took no thought. If you had enough food you could just beat them to death. Not that every boss needs to be puzzle, but I think it would have been better if they were. It is a Zelda after all.
  56. Mar 13, 2017
    Just another modern open world survival element **** game with a half-assed Zelda skin. Not a bad game by any means, but completely average in every way possible. The only thing that makes it stand out is it's lack of game breaking glitches that plagues the market today. Unfortunately you're forced to play it on one of many awful controllers, so there's that to deal with...
  57. Mar 19, 2017
    It's good but not groundbreaking. Few technical issues that needs to be ironed out.

All in all it's fun to to play but the dungeons are a letdown for me.
  58. Mar 17, 2017
    This is the most overrated game of 2017 so far, and I doubt that any other game in this year is going to be so expected and cause such dissapointment. This is the biggest bet on open world games from Nintendo until this day and while it isn't poorly executed and implements some interesting ideas, the reality is that it is far from the masterpiece everyone is selling that it is. The worstThis is the most overrated game of 2017 so far, and I doubt that any other game in this year is going to be so expected and cause such dissapointment. This is the biggest bet on open world games from Nintendo until this day and while it isn't poorly executed and implements some interesting ideas, the reality is that it is far from the masterpiece everyone is selling that it is. The worst part of all that should kill it for most people is performance; if we would ignore that 720p 30FPS is unnacceptable on 2017 (or 900p with bad performance), the game has unnacceptable fps drops and a graphic style that while it is unique, it isn't impressive at all. I'll overlook the last part just a bit to give it a 7/10. Strong contender for "Most overrated game of 2017" without any doubt. Expand
  59. Mar 8, 2017
    As an old zelda fans, this game is quite nice

But man, ignoring the fact that Nintendo switch works really bad with this game isn't going to make your reviews valid.tbh the game got a bunch of potential, i don't even mind they decrease the graphic so the game can be playable.
  60. Mar 12, 2017
    A new Zelda with new features, but in overall an empty trial of innovation who forgets the roots of an unforgettable saga in the wake of an huge open world. Definitely a great point unless you remember its poor graphics and minimalist even silent music. In addition, its story fluctuates between the tasteless and the power of emotional remembering of Ocarina of Time's plot and world.

In

In overall, a good game in THE LEGEND OF ZELDA's saga, but definitely not the definitive ZELDA.
  61. Mar 13, 2017
    I, like many others bought the Switch solely for this game. I bought a console, for one game... and note that I'm predominantly a pc gamer. Not many games has that power over me but I have had a thing for Zelda games since childhood. So needless to say I had high expectations.
    This game delivers on alot those expectations but also comes with alot of dissapointment and some frustratingly annoying obstacles and imo mindblowingly stupid decisions that does not add but detracts from the gameplay and ultimately stops it from reaching a higher score.
    It's a beautiful world filled with alot of stuff to do but there are also alot of empty areas. You are completely free to explore it at your leasure. You can even run to Ganons castle and take him on right off the bat, of course your chances of success are very slim to none in doing so wich in a way forces you to play certain areas in order to get your character strong enough.
    There are shrines with puzzles around the world that can give you uppgrades and four big bosses to take on in what you could call dungeons, even though they are more like puzzle rooms with a boss at the end.
    The enemies arn't at all that waried and mostly comes in the form of the same enemies with a different color, but they behave in quirky funny ways reacting to what you do. They even goof around going about their business even when not engaging you.
    Normally most games borrow from Nintendo games but there are aspects in this game that you can clearly see they have borrowed from other games like the "Far cry towers" and some DS influences.
    Combat is generally fun although the difficulty in this game is just making enemies hit harder and be damage spoonges. It also borrows from survival games and the witcher where you can cook and make elixirs. The menu/item management for this task is a bit fiddly. In fact inventory and menu management overall are a bit fiddly and non intuitive.
    Motioncontrol is implemented but in a smart, good and creative way, it never felt like a chore.
    The bad comes in the form of frames tanking heavily alot. Maybe I'm more sensitive to this than others beeing a pc gamer, but when it happens during combat it has such a negative impact on gameplay, especially when the max is already a low 30fps.
    "Link" also has a ridiculous low level of stamina to start with. Stamina shows up as an ugly bloblike green circle above your character that drains when you sprint, swim, climb etc. And I kid you not a fat legless man can outrun "Link" and you need to spend atleast 4 upgrades on stamina to even get to the level that I think is the very least Link should have started with. And these upgrades comes at the cost of much needed health.
    Also when you climb Link slips ALOT if it rains (and it rains ALOT), most of your stamina is drained while getting nowhere... wich means if you're half way up the mountain and it rains you are utterly f*cked. A pointless frustrating gamemechanic that adds nothing, it doesn't really add challenge, it only adds frustration based on bad luck.
    Unlike some previous games you don't really get a specific special magical bow. You can find alot of bows but they are utterly useless because arrows have a dropchance akin to legendary drops in a Diablo game and are too expensive to buy.
    But one of the worst things they added to the game is weapondurability. I never really cared for weapondurability but they were okay and manageable in some games like the DS series. There resource managment and preparation was a huge part of the gameplay. Also the weapons lasted pretty long and could be repaired to their former glory.
    Weapons in BOTW are made cheaper than the cheapest chinese fake copies and rarely last you more than a few enemies. And each time a weapon breaks you have to pause mid combat and choose another weapon, if you don't have any you have to scroungefor defeated foes to pick up their sh*tty sticks to fight with.
    The few weapons that can be repaired are needed to be taken to certain npcs and they cost so much to repair they are never worth the resources to repair to just last a couple of enemies more.
    The only weapon I came across that breaks but can return to it's former glory is the master sword, but even that comes with alot of caveats.
    This constant breaking of weapons means you never look forward to looting new weapons and you are put off using the better ones because you want to "save them" for a special enemies, meaning you will be fighting mostly with crapweapons the entire game.
    This was to me a mindblowingly unnecessary sh*t gameplaymechanic that detracts so much from the game. Constant interuption of flow and combat with frustration as a result. Atleast if the durability and repaircosts were somewhat reasonable it'd be a bit better but as it is now... no it is a HUGE negative.
    But despite that, overall this is still a good game but it is not the masterpiece alot of people claim. I do recomend it to anyone having a wii u or switch
  62. Mar 13, 2017
    Worthy addition to the Zelda franchise! Has the freshness and brilliance of pulling ideas and gameplay from OTHER open-world games that you love and expertly fuses them with the nostalgic elements, settings, and quirky characters from the Zelda games that you love as well. Absolutely love this game!

But I can't deny that it doesn't really do anything monumentally different, as most of the game mechanics and "ideas" are just watered down versions that you've seen done in other games. That's not to say this game doesn't do it just as well, if not better. But I can't praise a game for simply taking elements from other games and jamming them into a Zelda game and calling it innovation. Love the game, and having a blast playing it, but don't go in expecting a "true" Zelda game, 'cuz it ain't. It's Skyrim with rupees and no outstanding musical scores to even mention. Ouch.
  63. Mar 13, 2017
    o jogo não esta em portugues, os graficos não são la muitos bons, ate pq o console é bem fraco em si, só tem para o console da nintendo alem de que o console da nintendo é inferior é esta custando mais do que um ps4
  64. Mar 27, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What ever has generally made a great Zelda game in the past from it's atmospheric dungeons, in-depth story and memorable characters to bizarre temples that often have religious, psychological, philosophical and theological elements to them often backed up by music and architecture that compliment and enhance the experience all seem to have been taken out. The only thing close to this is Hyrule Castle. Which has tunnels that link to different parts of the Castle, around most corners are enemies hiding in nooks and crannies, whilst a ghostly composed Zelda's lullaby plays in the background. This would've been more atmospheric had the game given more emotional support to characters from Link's past that had died rather than just experiencing less than a minute of memories for each character.

I felt no attachment to the four champions that had died, often I felt glad to be rid of them for how they treated Link. I felt little impact on when the footage of the guardians were waging havoc on Hyrule as I had no interaction with those characters and or towns. It had no personal element to it, I didn't have much empathy towards Link after playing for the first 30 hours as there was no events that brought out anything to flush out his character or to make the player feel attached as this was a new Link. There were probably only two memorable moments in this game that made me feel anything, that was reading Zelda's diary as well as the cutscene where Zelda tries to feed the frog to Link.

Voice acting is by far the most terrible I have heard and I wish I could turn it off. Having 900 koroks is overkill and is often pointless repetitive tasks, not puzzles that after a while you don't even get excited about exploring anymore after you have completed the shrines, found all the memories and side quests as you know it'll just be another useless weapon that'll break, or another korok. Had the Koroks actually had a heavy emphasis on the story such as planting seeds in heavily affected areas so the forest could be restored to it's former glory would be much more intriguing and investing into.

No under water exploration?! what the hell?! this was said by the creators to be the ultimate Zelda experience. Side quests were lousy and I would often complete them unintentionally even before speaking to the person. Only after speaking to a person would it flash up on screen only to come up with a completed marker. The pay offs aren't that great too, rupees I can easily farm using ore deposits, Weapons? they're just gonna break, armour, yeah I got that piece 10 hours a go. Where are the people that have been cursed where you have to find things like the skulltalas to lift the curse. This would've at least been an incentive to explore rather than just have an isolated cliff with four koroks.

Shrines in this were massively disappointing, as they were way too easy and I barely spent any more than 8 minutes max in the high difficulty ones. Where previous games had temples that you'd get lost in for hours. Had there been actual Temples in this world some the size of the great plateau in terms of space with dozens of individual rooms to explore and fight your way through would've helped make this a far better game. The shrine add nothing to the story only a means to gain health and stamina. Having certain shrines reward you with stamina and the rest playing a heavy role in terms of story would be a far better way to implement a better story. Not to mention having the heart pieces in previous games encouraged exploration as you're needing more health. In BOTW exploration isn't even rewarded.

The four bosses in the Divine beasts were a let down, I was looking for some interesting not to mention individual and unique designs. Whilst the four forms of Ganon did look awesome. It just felt like I was fighting a cheapened puppet four times.

Side quests have little to no choice involved what so ever. The most linear side quests I have seen in a long time.

What this game does right though, is open world is proper open world. You see a mountain, you climb it.
    See a river with no way across, ok I'll cut down a tree and use it as a raft.
    Horse riding is the best I have ever seen in a game, with little to no effort involved when on roads/paths, the handling feels natural and very easy. The cooking system is actually pretty fun with the different animations and noises for a successful or none successful experiment in cooking. The art style is amazing and breath taking, quite often I'd run out of stamina using the paraglider and fall to my death as I was just taken back by the scenery.

So the game was good, but no way near the ultimate experience it was said to try and achieve.
  65. Apr 10, 2017
    The princess has no clothes! There, I said it. A good game, but not great, and nowhere near perfect.

Before I get into the negatives, I will mention one positive: the art. The art in this game is truly amazing. It's unique and refreshing in a time where most games strive too look as realistic possible. I had mixed feelings about it when I saw it in trailers, but after playing the game, I absolutely adore it.

The landscapes are also impressive. They are enormous and well designed. However, I can’t help but feel that they are over-done. A lot of the world, while beautiful, feels rather empty. I think that the open world concept works very well, but the world itself could have easily been 1/2 to 1/3 of the size. There world is seriously HUGE -- it's bigger than that of most MMOs. A lot of the areas don't even have dungeons, which makes me wonder what purpose they serve.

My biggest complaint about this game is the weapon durability system. I think it is a decent idea, but one that is poorly implemented. It’s kind of hilarious to complete a dungeon and be rewarded with a weapon that breaks after a few swings… like thanks, I guess? It makes finding epic weapons feel like crap. I also find it laughable that bows have such low durability when you already have ammo to deal with. As if ammo wasn’t tedious enough! There needs to be more unbreakable weapons and the durability on breakable weapons needs to be increased by at least 10x.

As for the shrines, the vast majority of them are way too easy or short. Heart pieces were better.

Dungeons are in the same boat as shrines. There are only a handful and they are extremely easy, especially when compared to the dungeons in the previous titles. They are all very short, contain few enemies, have the same aesthetic, and rely on the same gimmicky rubrics-cube-map mechanic to complete (which I did not find challenging at all). Also, the bosses are pathetic -- I beat most of them in 1 shot, some without even taking damage. Dark Souls it is not. Overall, the dungeons in this game are a HUGE letdown. The Great Deku Tree in OOT feels epic in comparison to some of them (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but still). They feel like an afterthought. In past Zelda games, dungeons have always been the focus with the overworld being just a means to get you from one dungeon to the next, but in this game, it is the opposite -- the overworld is the primary focus and the dungeons are just... there?

The inventory and cooking systems are also atrocious. I could go into great detail about why they are so bad, but I’d rather not waste my time.

So all in all, it’s enjoyable, but I don’t understand all of the 10/10s. I think most of them are fueled by nostalgia and the hardware its running on (the Switch really is a great console). It's funny that most of the 10/10 reviews will list off several negative things about the game, but still give it a 10/10. I also find the difference between the user score and crictic score to be very suspect... Ultimately, it looks like Zelda, brings back some fond memories, but at the end of the day, feels more like a cheap thrill than the real thing. It’s a good game on it's own, but it's standing on the shoulders of giants and in comparison, looks rather insignificant. Definitely the worst 3D Zelda game to date.
  66. Apr 24, 2017
    A solid game that introduces a fresh take on open world gaming. Unfortunately, it's excellent concept is marred by busy-work tasks, shallow quests, lack of meaningful character development (Protagonist as well as other characters), and unoriginal, lackluster combat mechanics.

One of the saving graces were the shrines that keep you pushing forward as there are a whopping 120 of them. However I feel that this is overkill and reduced the quality and thoughtfulness of individual shrines. With the exception of a few, the vast majority were quite forgettable.

As Gamers we should remember that Epic, Vast, and Quantity, are impressive adjectives, but it does not trump QUALITY.

Many reviews boast the "You can climb ANY surface" aspect of this game. I found myself climbing mountains but the drive for me to do so was weak as I knew the prize at the end of this time consuming task would result in a forgettable shrine, or a Chest with a weapon that was often worse than the one I was carrying at the time. The fights that SHOULD have been challenging, were very simple and easy, and required very little effort on my part resulting in a very underwhelming feeling and a lack of accomplishment.

That said, it wasn't a bad game by any means. I did enjoy it to a fair degree. Is it a masterpiece? Is it a so called "10/10"? I would definitely have to disagree.
  67. Jun 25, 2017
    ---> problème de rythme. L'aventure principale est en retrait face au bac à sable. Beaucoup de PNJ mais on ne s'attache pas à eux car on n'est pas contraint à rester dans une zone. Le village de Cocorico est le premier exemple: on peut avancer trop facilement sans se préoccuper des habitants qui vous donnent par la suite des infos pas fraîches quand on va finalement les voir (genre: "oh,---> problème de rythme. L'aventure principale est en retrait face au bac à sable. Beaucoup de PNJ mais on ne s'attache pas à eux car on n'est pas contraint à rester dans une zone. Le village de Cocorico est le premier exemple: on peut avancer trop facilement sans se préoccuper des habitants qui vous donnent par la suite des infos pas fraîches quand on va finalement les voir (genre: "oh, y'a un sanctuaire au-dessus du village" "bah, oui, je l'ai fait depuis longtemps" OU à Elimith: "oh, t'es nouveau dans le village, je vais être ton guide" "je connais merci, j'ai déjà ma propre maison totalement décorée...et qui ne sert à rien" OU pire quand j'ai déjà l'armure Goron complète et qu'un pauvre PNJ en bas de la montagne me donne une partie de l'armure contre 10 lézards ignifus et te dis: "si tu veux mon casque...(...)" "j'ai le même que toi sur ma tête, pov' nouille...")
    ---> Et comment avoir de l'empathie pour eux, ils ne sont pas malheureux. Ces habitants ne sont pas vraiment en danger: les 4 divinités ne font pas trop chier: pluie, tempête au loin, vol au dessus de la tête depuis 100 ans, tourne autour de la montagne sans trop de dégâts... comment se sentir Héros? Je pense qu'il y a gros soucis de scénario, pas assez travaillé, incohérent. Si Link avait 10 000 ans, était amnésique, se réveillait nu dans une forêt et découvrait sa destiné petit à petit... là ça aurait eu de la gueule et on aurait pardonné les errances. Personne ne vous connaîtrait comme dans Majora's Mask et vous créeriez votre propre Histoire de Héros, votre Destiné! Mais non, ça reste cucu.
    Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask tiennent bien plus la route côté scénario/rythme/émotions.
    ---> J'aurais quand même apprécié de pouvoir pêcher, dans un canoë sur les lacs et de parler à un vieux loup de mer dans un bar, risée du village pour dire qu'il avait vu un monstre dans le lac... mais non, on nous donne tout, les dragons vols tranquilou dans les airs mais personne ne les voit... NON! En plus ces dragons ne sont encore que du farming d'objet.
    ---> On peut tout escalader! Du coup on abandonne tout le temps son cheval (le premier truc qu'on va chercher pourtant). A ce propos, les stats des chevaux ne servent à rien, qu'est ce qu'on s'en fiche s'il à 2 boost ou 6 limités via une carotte magique. Il aurait justement fallu privilégier le cheval au début, puis introduire l'escalade via un bracelet magique pour ré-explorer le monde.
    ---> ça manque de souterrains, de grottes à explorer avec une torche, de fonds marins à explorer avec la tenue Zora...
    ---> le système de potion / tenues / diadèmes est bancal globalement.
    ---> bombes infinies? Je pense que ce pouvoir était inutile. Il aurait fallu mettre de simples bombes. On aurait pu aisément se passer des quelques énigmes des Sanctuaires les utilisant. Elles cassent le game design.
    ---> quêtes annexes pas très intéressantes malgré quelques bonnes idées.
    ---> beaucoup d'aliments pour pas grand chose au final.
    ---> les 900 korogus... je comprends le design derrière mais j'aurais préféré des mystères plus complexes, tout comme les secrets qui se résument à des babioles dans un coffre. Dommage.
    ---> tous les ennemis et camps se ressemblent.
    ---> pas assez de contraintes liées aux monstres, aux évènements. Les camps, les lynels ne protègent rien, n'ont aucune intelligence.
    ---> aucun temple caché, protégé par un système de protection comme les deux Sphynx dans le film "L'Histoire sans fin", aucune grandeur comme la "Grande Rivière des Terres Sauvages" dans "Le Seigneur des Anneaux" (j'suis pas un fan de ces films, mais des idées de mise en scène).
    ---> les boss médiocres, que dis-je: A CHIER!! et trop simples. Ganon compris. Ganon est pitoyable notamment sa 2ème forme qui ne ressemble à rien, ne fait rien. On attend un vieux pattern à la noix pour le tuer. Un rip-off dégueulasse de Nago de Princesse Mononoke.
    ---> les 4 donjons ne resteront pas en mémoire, trop simples.
    ---> les sanctuaires sont très inégaux, dont 20 épreuves de force. 20! beaucoup trop!
    ---> J'aurais aimé avoir la musique du village Cocorico dans le Village de Cocorico & un cimetière (vu les morts) et un clin d’œil à l'homme du moulin de OOT dans le village d'Elimith... enfin... c'est bien de se détacher de OOT mais les clins d’œil subtiles auraient fait plaisir.
    ---> beaucoup de boulot & addictif sauf que, bien que chaque joueur puisse construire sa propre expérience & trajet, tous finiront par faire la même chose encore et encore, rencontrer les même camps et ennemis copié/collé, chopper le même cheval géant inutile au même endroit, faire les mêmes quêtes pourries, telles les tablettes Zora, l'oiseau blanc, les pins alignés, le village d'Euzéro.
    ---> une bonne direction pour le prochain, enfin débarrassé des médiocres TP & SS.
    ---> mais encore un Zelda qui n'a rien d'épique.
  68. Jul 22, 2017
    I really tried to like this game as a sort of returner to the series #linktothepast. Alas, I found the game to be tedious and boring like many of other open world games these days. BOTW has the same rinse and repeat pitfalls of farming materials endlessly for little to no reward, Vapid fetch quests and an almost empty landscape of a sandbox that gives me no immersion. Due to the weaponsI really tried to like this game as a sort of returner to the series #linktothepast. Alas, I found the game to be tedious and boring like many of other open world games these days. BOTW has the same rinse and repeat pitfalls of farming materials endlessly for little to no reward, Vapid fetch quests and an almost empty landscape of a sandbox that gives me no immersion. Due to the weapons being fragile I found myself skipping any fight I could in a bid to just get the game over with. the game felt like a chore most of the time and I'm just not having fun. Expand
  69. Oct 1, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wanna start off by saying that the game is beautiful. Even for a Wii u port. The simplistic colorgasm and just sheer size was overwhelming and definitely triggered my adhd in wanting to go there see that. I always felt like I was exploring some place that had character and life. Clearly every part of the world had a reason for being there and in a climate where open world games are usually cookie cutter cut and paste asset here it's nice to see a world where there's a world there. Like a dev individually took the time to craft something in every place you look at. Albeit there is sometimes too much open plains or fields of nothing but that is few and far between. I loved when I was exploring early on and found a lynel that immediately raped me and I went nope.jpg. Finding stone talus and hiroxes of all shapes and colors (Even an undead one). Landmarks that turned out to hidden puzzles or whatever that contained korok seeds. The freedom of climbing **** anything and paragliding down to whatever interesting thing you see. Getting your first horse, then second, then third, and Epona. Sand sealing, using boats, and shield surfing?! All these neat ways to move faster and explore better in this world which is so massive and at times breathtaking.

But empty. Beyond fighting (Which becomes unnecessary beyond needing to farm for mats), finding korok seeds, and shrines. The world is empty. There's nothing there. Nothing to really do. Exploring is fun but the novelty will wear off and once you've explored an area that's it. And when you've done enough exploring in general you're never really surprised by anything anymore because it's the same old thing being done just a little differently. You've done everything there is to do in that area. There's no real reason to ever go back aside from finding missed shrines or korok seeds. Side quests are basic as **** too so they don't really provide any incentive to go back to those areas and talk to people because the quests are always "go there do this fight that and bring me this." Nothing inherently fun or interesting about side quests so far. Not a single **** one has been fun. Literally no reason to continue exploring or being thorough in an area you already explored. Oh I guess you could go back repeatedly to get a certain food (looking at you hearty durian).

Next is the shrines. **** shrines. This is where I'm just triggered the hardest. Look I'm just a normie casual peruser of game media and mechanics. I'm not a **** GAME DEVELOPER. But even a **** normie like me can tell when the game developers clearly put no **** thought into something and nowhere is that more clear than with shrines. Shrine "puzzles" if you can even call them puzzles are never hard, challenging, or even fun. Usually they're simple to solve and even if they incorporate a neat mechanic or design choice like a game developer actually took the time to craft a fun and engaging puzzle . . . The puzzle is over. Woah you need to put a bomb on top and underneath to break the rocks on top? Cool what's next shrine aaaand it's over. What's this? I have to fight a guardian as a shrine? Again? Again? AGAIN? AGAIN BUT NOW IT'S EASIER CUZ I CAN USE MAGNESIS OR CRYONIS TO MAKE A PILLAR? Woah this puzzle to get into the shrine is actually fun and challenging finally some good game design aaaaand the shrine is a straight path and that's it. I found a shrine randomly in the wild aaaand no puzzle just a straight shot to a chest and an orb. Aside from combat shrines there's not really "tiers of difficulties" with shrines. They're all pretty easy.

And can I say that the orbs are stupid as **** and a waste of time. Can you just let me have a piece of heart or stamina on the spot inside of shrines instead of dealing with this stupid statue?

Combat. . . Let me start this section off by saying that combat can be fun. Using bullet time or arrow time while paragliding above a and finishing it up with a down smash attack is satisfying and fun. But the terrible lock on camera and not having a dedicated dodge button is not. Why couldn't my sprint button be a sprint if I held it down and a dodge if I tapped it like in dark souls? Why is the flurry activated so easily with no real sense of timing or skill needed? You could be out of the way of an attack entirely and take no damage if the attack animation goes through but if you hit the dodge button your flurry activates anyway? WHY? And for such a huge world why are bokoblins, moblins, and lizalfos pretty much 95% of what you'll be fighting? This game needs waaaaaay more enemy variety. Even with minibosses and bosses I'm disappointed. Lynels excluded (which I'm sad isn't a named boss with a health bar at the top) all the bosses hiroxes and its variance, stone talks, and moldugas are easy as **** to kill or just straight up boring to do.

I could keep going but I'm running out of characters :'^]
  70. Oct 19, 2017
    My friend gave me his wii u to play this so I don't have to buy a switch, and in all honesty I'm really glad that he did. The game is very good and has a solid start, but after playing it for about 10 hours the monotony really sets in. This could just be because the game is severely over hyped or the fact that the world is pretty barren but the game is underwhelming and there isn't a lotMy friend gave me his wii u to play this so I don't have to buy a switch, and in all honesty I'm really glad that he did. The game is very good and has a solid start, but after playing it for about 10 hours the monotony really sets in. This could just be because the game is severely over hyped or the fact that the world is pretty barren but the game is underwhelming and there isn't a lot of things to do. Yes there are a lot of shrines and the korok seeds but there is really no point in getting all of them. One thing that sets this game apart from other open world games is that it isn't just crossing things off a list to collect, or at least that's what many other reviewers have said but that isn't necessarily the case, it's just that there isn't as many types of things to collect. The game is fun and I like the feeling of it but the lack of content, the dead world, and bland characters accompanying the relatively boring story makes this game very underwhelming as an open world game. Expand
  71. Apr 10, 2018
    If people want to rate this game 7, 8, 9 or even 10 out of 10, that's fine. It's their opinion, but people who claim this game is "perfect"? No. Sorry, but you are wrong. This game is far from perfect.

Breath of the Wild is an example of Nintendo trying to cash in on the success of Skyrim and Dark Souls, but they handle it all wrong. What's weird is that Skyrim is mainly caves to explore, yet I e
    njoy that. BotW is the same now with the shrines, but some take very little time to complete, but I don't enjoy it. Mainly, because I play Zelda for the Zelda mechanics, but honestly...There are none. Well, none may be harsh, but there is a huge lack of the "Zelda formula". You get all the abilities right at the start and weapons, you just pick up along the way. Everything is accessible form the start, which means you can't use tools like the hookshot to reach new places later in the game "Yes, there is no hookshot...Or any other tools the past Zelda games have).

Some of the battles can be very unbalanced against your favour, but then combat as a whole (excluding mandatory battles like boss battles) can just be avoided. There's really no need to fight anything in this game. The game offers a stealth mechanic, and this is seems to be broken too as enemies just know where you are. Buffs never seem to give you much of a boost.

And if you really want to spoil a game, add a stamina gauge!. Dark Souls uses a stamina gauge, but it's far less hindering than the one in this game. Why? Because Nintendo decided what uses your stamina in a stupid way. Swimming up a waterfall doesn't deplete your stamina, yet swimming normally in a small pond does?

And another take on Dark Souls, is that the lore is scattered around. Not in items, but in randomly placed books around Hyrule.

The "dungeons" if you want to call them that are more puzzle based, very short with no rewarding items.

I get Nintendo wants to evolve the series, which I'm open to. I'm not saying it's a massively bad game, but it needs work. A lot of work. It could still be a Metroidvania and still play as BotW. But the focus need to be more on dungeon exploring and combat. In truth, I haven't even mentioned all the gripes I have with this game. But, I enjoyed the game, but it's not one what I will replay again. Not right away anyway if ever.
  72. Mar 27, 2017
    I already know I'll be attacked because I'm not going along with "the flow" of reviews. So let's start out by quantifying that 6. For the record, the last Zelda I played was Twilight Princess. Last Zelda I beat completely was A Link To The Past. Last Zelda I enjoyed was Adventure of Link (the only real "RPG" of the bunch, IMO.)

Graphics: 3 points. Yes, half the score is the graphics.

Graphics: 3 points. Yes, half the score is the graphics. They're beautiful. But they're limited, especially on the handheld. World of Final Fantasy on Vita is a great example of how it can be done.

Story: 2 points. I feel that the story is compelling and interesting. You feel like you want to help the world. You connect with most of the characters. Nicely done.

Sound: 1 point. Ambient sounds, voices, music, are all done decently. I didn't hear anything that bothered me, put it that way.

But that's all the game has really. I get it - it's Zelda. It's a throwback to the first game. But quite a few things annoy me, and most of them have to do with UI (User Interface) decisions.

You can't tell when weapons are degrading. I'm generally not a fan of the weapon break mechanic, but I can live with it so long as I can tell the life of my weapon, and I can repair weapons, ala Dark Cloud 2, or that I can easily create new ones, ala Dragon Quest Builders. Neither is the case here and it's annoying.

Weapon strengths are illogical. Why it takes 9 swings to kill an enemy with an axe yet only three with a club makes no sense whatsoever. A fan leaf one-shots flying enemies yet a stick takes two, sometimes three hits. Why?

Link will happily plummet to his death when you try to tell him to gently drop down from a climb to a ledge, and instead he jumps off the wall. I'd just as soon not have a jump from a climb at all.

The button configs are a nightmare. Two different ways of using the Sheikah Slate rather than just one map with functions. Forced to move your thumb down to a touchpad that's not in a comfortable place just so you can switch weapons. Forced to press a tiny "minus sign" on the pad just to view the map and a tiny "plus sign" to view inventory. One trigger does something, one bumper does something else, another trigger does something else...It's too much! I thought FFXV's was bad, it's a work of art compared to this.

The stamina bugs me only because it's so short. No human is that out of shape. At least let him sprint after a fast run.

For all the criticism laid at the feet of Dragon Quest Builders I frankly felt that its battle "engine" was much more logical, as petty and simplistic as that was, for a very similar experience (legendary hero wakes up in a cave with no recollection of why they're there and now have to rebuild the world. Same. Exact. Story.)

The world is massive, and while I do enjoy massive worlds (Dragon Quest VIII is an all-time great for me), the world has to interest me. Navigation is a pain in this game, and I assume they wanted you to feel the "realism" of it. But when you're playing a fantasy game, too much reality is not a good thing. (DQ8 and riding on a tiger to get around certainly isn't realistic.)

Game directions are also lacking. You'll get instructions to go to a place, and in some situation it's a breeze, where in another situation they don't even bother trying to at least point you in the right direction. Again, too much realism.

Yes, I know. "Explore". That's fine. But clear directions are a hallmark of roleplaying games, and it saddens me to see modern RPGs forget this.

I discovered that the game feels much more "comfortable" in docked mode. The framerate drops don't bother me.

It's a beautiful, well storied, average game. I'll keep the Switch in the hope the Seiken Densetsu Collection comes stateside *eeek*, and hopefully Octopath Traveler will be a much better experience. As for this, those that think this is a perfect game certainly must not have played Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 - thus far the only RPG to check off all of the boxes.
  73. Mar 16, 2017
    TO start im coming at this as someone who has never finished a zelda game and the las zelda game i played before breath of the wild was wind waker. ive probably put 25 hours int botw now and can say i like the game and its a good game but it has its problems for me. The shrines feel too easy and short as well as never reaching that wow this is cool moment, the weapon durability is aTO start im coming at this as someone who has never finished a zelda game and the las zelda game i played before breath of the wild was wind waker. ive probably put 25 hours int botw now and can say i like the game and its a good game but it has its problems for me. The shrines feel too easy and short as well as never reaching that wow this is cool moment, the weapon durability is a nascence but i dont feel its a massive downside to the game. another problem for me is the lack of truely cool places to discover outside of quests like ive never come across a cave thats keeps getting deeper n deeper full of enemies n cool scenery leading to a cool reward. It does get boring time to time runing in the open spaces of botw but so does any open world game however despite the negatives the game does keep me engaged and is a fun game so for me i give it a 7/10 Expand
  74. Mar 7, 2017
    Well i have been playing this and horizon since their launches to get a good feel of both games. I am not a fanboy, i own every console currently on the market and a P.C. Nintendo has been with me since a very young age, and i will always continue to invest in them for myself and my kids. But in my opinion this just is not the perfect game that a lot are making out. I can see the positivesWell i have been playing this and horizon since their launches to get a good feel of both games. I am not a fanboy, i own every console currently on the market and a P.C. Nintendo has been with me since a very young age, and i will always continue to invest in them for myself and my kids. But in my opinion this just is not the perfect game that a lot are making out. I can see the positives but it just does not give me the enjoyment i have experienced with past Zelda games. The visuals are not stunning for a brand new console, the textures seem very outdated and this affects the overall effect. Because there is a lot of empty space, the views of the world just dosn't have that wow factor. There is also alot of pop ins which can be distracting. Don't get me wrong it still has some of the charm you come to expect but comparing to HDZ this dosn't have the same appeal. Once i spend more time i may review my score, but at present it is only slightly above average. Expand
  75. Mar 26, 2017
    I dunno what it is about zelda games that makes every 'professional reviewer' think they have to give it a 10.

This game is solid, it's tight, it's good but it's not a 10. Props to Nintendo for taking chances with the same old formula. It really felt like for the past 20 years they've just been trying to recreate the magic of Ocarina of Time and failing. Now they've finally figured out that it's about trying to do something completely different.

The combat is the biggest change here. They have an item system with durability rolled in so weapons and items are all temporary. There's no more 1 sword, 1 boomerang, etc. You get tons of swords and boomerangs. Makes it that much more special when you find the master sword.

The game is also hard. I used to rarely if ever die in a Zelda game. I died a few dozen times in the first couple of hours alone in this one. It's more like Dark Souls than the typical Zelda. They also realized that getting items like the bow and bombs and all that is really boring so they made them super easy to access right from the get go.

The game has been refocused on exploration with the new climbing system, which is really the only true innovation in the game. Almost every terrain is climbable. It adds a new dimension to the exploration that has always been a Zelda mainstay.

The puzzles are fun but not too challenging, pretty typical to the Zelda series. They did try for different ideas in this new game with spatial problem solving which I appreciate. The dungeons seem to have taken a few pages from the Shadow of the Colossus book.

One of the coolest, most thoughtful additions is that the last boss is accessible probably less than an hour from the start of the game. And you can go try your luck too! A really cool idea and it was very well implemented.

So with solid combat, great exploration, and good puzzles why is it a 7? The game just has too many noticeable flaws.

The voice acting is terrible. Everyone is gonna complain about it, it's truly God-awful. I wish I could just have silence and read text but there's no option to do that. What a shame...

Second, the graphics. They're bad. I get that Nintendo never cares about graphics and while the art is beautiful, these textures are worse than games from 7 years ago. I almost want to say I've seen better texture work in games like Gears of War 1 from 2006... That's just unacceptable. Being 2-3 years behind is whatever, being more than 7? Give me a break.

Third, music. I hate it. They tried to make the whole thing into a Miyazaki movie. The music just doesn't fit at all. You don't need symphonic music for everything with little cutesy piano pieces. It just doesn't fit the action or what's happening on the screen at all. I just never get that exhilarating feeling during action sequences because of how low-key and mellow the music is for fighting. I never felt like any of the zones had music that fit the mood or the atmosphere. It really detracts from the experience very very noticeably.

Lastly, the open world concept was just not done well. There's not enough here to warrant exploring an open world. There are only so many moblin camps you can clear out before it gets boring and old. While some of the environmental puzzles and enemies (like stone monsters you have to climb on) can be fun, the novelty wears off. Eventually it dawns on you that you're completing little mini-games. Where other games made their side quests deep and immersive (a la Witcher 3, Skyrim etc) this game's side quests are fairly bland and unimpressive.

The game is fun, if you're gonna buy a switch you probably already have it. If you're debating whether you need to buy a switch for it: pass.
  76. Apr 17, 2017
    I played all previous Zelda games and couldn't continue with this one after 12 hours. The game is just not fun for me. Weapons that break all the time? Cheap deaths like in swimming or lightning attacks? One-hit kill by stronger enemies? Starting the game with tons of powers instead of gathering one by one as the story progresses? Framerate issues? Seriously, how come people say this isI played all previous Zelda games and couldn't continue with this one after 12 hours. The game is just not fun for me. Weapons that break all the time? Cheap deaths like in swimming or lightning attacks? One-hit kill by stronger enemies? Starting the game with tons of powers instead of gathering one by one as the story progresses? Framerate issues? Seriously, how come people say this is the best Zelda, and even the best game ever made? Better than A Link to the Past, Ocarina and Majora's? Extremely overrated, in my opinion. If it were any other game without the Zelda name on it, it would not get more than a 7 or 8. Some things in this game are great, like physics, visuals... But that's it. I'm concerned about the future of this franchise. Expand
  77. Apr 23, 2017
    My feelings on this game are terribly mixed.
    My feelings on this game are terribly mixed.
    Good: a truly excellent open world, beautifully designed, artistically gorgeous, endlessly explorable. It brings fresh life to the now-standard idea of an open world. The new Link is full of personality for a guy who never really talks. NPCs are charming, quirky, and often funny, and exhausting their dialogue options is always worthwhile. The physics engine was incredible! One thing they really did right was in all the little details. There are plenty of joyous surprises for those who want to experiment and explore. So let me repeat--this is an excellent game, and it's worth you time. A superlative game, compared to others on the market. It is not, however, without flaws, even quite serious flaws.

Bad: The enemy variety is uninspired. A handful of enemies that are repeated endlessly, with different skins and colors. Unlike previous Zelda games, you won't find any redeads, wallmasters, poes, or any unexpectedly terrifying monsters like Dead Hand from OOT. No scary enemies or creepy dungeons where you might hear the telltale shriek of a redead paralyzing you.
    Hand in hand with that is the boss variety. Unlike previous Zelda games, there aren't new and exciting, visually impressive bosses that challenge you to use the skills and tools at your disposal. You fight the same boss 4 times, and then again as the end-game boss. Over and over, with slightly different elemental powers. The final boss looks like it's trying to pass for a monster in Yharnam--but if I wanted to fight Yharnam monsters, I'd be playing Bloodborne, not Zelda. It's nothing like Ganon. It doesn't have the crushing difficulty to match a Bloodborne enemy anyway.

Combat quickly becomes lackluster with the frustrating weapon durability mechanic. Rather than encouraging variety, it encourages you to use your worst weapons the whole time for fear of losing your good ones, or the ones with elemental powers that you need for special enemies. The master sword's "energy limit" is some serious garbage too. A breakable master sword? Really? In the end, the durability mechanics turned the MS from the Blade of Evil's Bane to the Blade of Chopping Down Trees Because I Don't Want to Waste My Other Blades.

The story is often charming and could have been great, if they had put more focus on developing a compelling story. But, like the music, it's so downplayed it's barely noticeable, so that when the occasional familiar Zelda element slides in, it feels weirdly out of place. The music is not very memorable, and nothing like the sweeping epics of its predecessors. Once in a while, a familiar tune will play, and in the final castle, it finally comes in full-force. But it feels like a fun musical Zelda reference in a non-Zelda game. Jarring.

Dungeon variety is woefully nonexistent. Arguably the most impactful element of the franchise's incredible legacy, sprawling, complex, rich, and sometimes nerve-wracking dungeons are part of what made the series so famous. They're iconic. But they're totally excised this time. You have shrines, 120 samey mini-dungeons with repetitive puzzles. And you have divine beasts, 4 samey, slightly larger mini-dungeons. There's no variety to them at all, nothing to make them even visually distinct and interesting. Even exploring the beautiful open world begins to lose its appeal when you realize that the only rewards you will find are shrines and korok seeds.

I could go on. But it boils down to this one sad, strange feeling. There's a difference between shaking up convention and straightforward iconoclasm. And this game falls too hard toward the latter. Utterly gutting the series icons gave us a breathlessly beautiful product, with nothing under the surface, least of all a Zelda game. Maybe it sounds trivial, but I find that Link's redesign is not only one of the worst offenses, but emblematic of the underlying problem. They took Link's iconic green outfit with his pointy hat away, reportedly because it doesn't "look cool." Sure, in isolation, there's nothing especially cool-looking about the green tunic. But it DOES look cool--because it looks like Link, from the Legend of Zelda, and Link is cool. He makes it look heroic. There are lots of cool-looking video game characters out there, but there's only one who looks like Link. The attitude among the devs that said Link isn't cool-looking enough is the same attitude that said Ganon needed to look like a Soulsborne villain. It's the same attitude that took away deep dungeons, exciting bosses, creative enemy designs, and cool weapon variety. It never felt like I was playing Zelda. As an open-world RPG with a barely passable Zelda skin, it was neat. But it soured so fast I was feeling heartbroken by halfway through the game. It's sad to see the devs disregarding the legacy of such an important series. In the end, what makes Zelda so special was gone, and that, for me, outweighed the joys.
  78. Mar 8, 2017
    This game does not deserve a 10/10. People who give Zelda BOTW that score are being completely bias because they are a "Fan Boy" and by giving the game a 10/10 they are staying that nothing is wrong or should be changed in the game, which is ****

This is the first Zelda game I have ever played and the only reason I played it is because there were no other good launch titles for the Switch. Many people say this is the best Zelda game in the series but of course as this is my first Zelda game I can not confirm that. I am pleased with the game and have a sorta "Addictive" feeling to keep playing it, but I also have many issues with the game.

Yes, the game looks amazing and it is kinda fun to play but that doesn't mean its a perfect game.

What I mostly don't like about the game is the Lack of purchasing weapons. This is an open world game where weapons, shields, and bows have a breaking point. It is very hard to get through harder portions of the big map because you have to find weapons and you can't just go to a village store and purchase some like almost every other RPG game has, Instead you have to find chest hidden throughout the map with items in it. With weapon degeneration this makes it especially hard to fight bigger enemies since you have very limited item space for weapons and once your weapon is broken you lose it forever and can't go purchase a replacement.

The music in this game is ABSOLUTELY annoying and repetitive in the Villages or Stables, all you hear is "DO DO DO DOOOOO" on a repeat and it pisses me off to the point where i just have to turn my volume off.

On that point I would like to complain on the lack of settings the game has. There is no Audio control for the sounds and music in the game like every other modern game has, there is no button remapping, and overall the settings are just so basic that it makes me wonder who the **** made this game. I feel like a mental retard must of made the setting tab because it seems like they forgot most things that belong in a settings menu.

Now lets get to the gameplay, the fighting mechanics can surly 100% be improved upon. This is a up close and personal combat game that does't have proper DODGING OR ROLLING! Like WTF basic movements are not even in the game. There's really no combos ether (or at least the game hasn't told me how to do them).

Most of the time when doing missions the game doesn't even tell you in detail where to go or what to do, the game gives you a brief "Clue" on what to do and expects you to know exactly what to do. Most of the time I'm left looking up the game guide to know.

The shrines in the game are repetitive, its the same room just a different puzzle and they get harder depending on where you are on the map.

The map is big but it is also very empty, where is all the big villages? All you get to go to are small villages that have more people than they do houses.

Where is the in game voices? You get little voice acting in the game. You can go from a character talking in a cutscence to being quite back in the game. They shouldn't of put voices in some parts of the game but then leave the rest quite. Surly the Zelda creators have enough money to have everyone in the game speak, but I guess they were to lazy to do that.

There is also a lack in dialog you can say and the outcome you will have, you get no sense of choice in the game.

There is a lack of places to explore to, all you really explore in the game is the wilderness that's it. No caves, no abandon places, no random structures, nothing other than the shrines.

There is no recipe book ether for cooking, most of the time you have t go off memory on how to cook certain stuff. I don't get why they couldn't add a basic book or recipe tab in the inventory menu.

There are many more things in that this game has wrong/lack with it that I can't get into because of the 5k character limit but what I can say is that this is just an average game in its series. It may be the best since is is now open world but it does not deserve a 10/10.

This game is a very basic Open World RPG. In fact if you took away the Zelda name it would really just be an "Okay" game. You add Zelda to the title and everyone instantly gives it a 10/10 because they are fan boys who find nothing wrong with it.
  79. Mar 14, 2017
    This game is mediocre at best. The horrendous weapon system and frame rate issues are enough to rate this game a 7. It's too bad that so many other silly, superfluous mechanics get in the way of what is fun in this game,i.e stamina meter and constant rain preventing climbing.
  80. Mar 17, 2017
    Far from perfect, this game is flawed in every aspect i know. Let's take look one by one:

- Visual: Not even water color art style can hide the bad graphic performance. Low resolution 720p, sub-par 20fps and even slower in docking mode, bad texture, popping out objects, over use of bloom. Just name it. -Musics: No memorable track, or if you're optimistic you can call it full of

-Musics: No memorable track, or if you're optimistic you can call it full of 'ambience'. It is ok, but for some part there's no music at all.

-The world: It's big and empty with monster settlement in between. You can count dungeon in one hand, and there're 120 'shrine'. The problem is you can finish any shrine in just 30 second. The puzzles are really simple, like just glide over 2 holes etc.

-Enemy: Most of their design are copy-paste with slight alteration, even the bosses. The most depressing part is their AI. God they're as stupid as turtle.

-Gameplay: Relies heavily on gear, not skill. The enemy AI obviously doesn't help. In high level area you can play around with them but you can't kill them, or you can try and broke your weapons.

-Story: Hahaha, it's nintendo game, don't think too hard of this part.
  81. Mar 11, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll some this up in one sentence.
    This is a great game, it's not a great Zelda game.

Lets start with THE GOOD:
    -The open world aspect IS fun, exploring the world and wanting to know what's just over that next ridge is thrilling. (However this does wear thin pretty fast .... see bad.)
    -The combat is probably better than it has ever been; rather than enemies being mostly a nuisance that you just thwack away at...these enemies take some timing, potions and skill; especially in that early-mid game. It's not dark souls/witcher but it's V.Good for Zelda.
    -The artistic design is nice and never gets stale to look at. It's a far cry from the drab and dreary OoT or Twilight princess.
    -It's different...hell that might be a bad or a good thing but I'm putting it in the good. Zelda has been doing the same thing for 30 years and it's nice to see them try something else.

THE BAD:
    -The story, I'm not asking for greatness in a Zelda game, however it was so cool in OoT when you pull out the sword and fly forward in time...In link to the past when you go to the dark world. Where is THAT here? It feels like I'm playing half the game most the time...with all the coolest and most fleshed out characters left 100 years in the past!
    -The "dungeons." These are embarrassing to say the least, why even keep these hollow shells of their former renditions in the game? Just try something different. Instead we are left with what essentially comes down to 4 larger shrines that take all of 10-15 minutes to complete with 0 difficulty and 4 end bosses that fight/look almost identical.
    -The sidequests, 90% of these SUCK SO MANY EGGS. This is basically about an effort/reward type deal. Minor spoilers but one person wants me to go searching high and low for rare ingredients or a super rare weapon and rewards me with JUST 100 Rupees!!! (Which I could get in 3 minutes from grabbing all the apples in a town and throwing them in a pot.) With heart/stamina containers given out for completing the shrines and the breakable weapons it almost makes the sidequests completely pointless.
    -Which goes back to exploring...I used to search in Zelda games because you are looking for that hidden quest that leads to a heart piece or some rupee's for a bag upgrade. But with nothing to really upgrade other than armor it's kinda worthless other than just enjoying the beautiful world.

THE UGLY
    -The music: for a series that is known for it's beautiful music...this game is severely lacking in it. A few musical cue's here and there and a bit of fight music. The rest of the time enjoy the dead silence and the sound of Links sword banging against his shield.
    -The faaaaarming. Ok the most farming I've personally ever done in a Zelda game before this is about 30 mins farming in Majoras mask for the biggest wallet upgrade. But in BotW my God...to upgrade all the armor would take hundreds of hours of just running around following the bleeping and picking up fish/mushrooms/guts/butterfly's. I think I've already put in over 15 hours of solid farming for armor upgrades.

Again this review may come off as negative but it is a beautiful and fun game.
    However take out the useless side quests, crappy farming and kinda not worthwhile exploring and you're left with maybe 12 hours of main quest line for a mediocre story.

It might be harsh...however if they continued to improve on this formula + did the classic 2D Zelda for a handheld console. I think I'd be in heaven.
  82. Mar 13, 2017
    Okay, all reviews here are either 10/10 or 0/10 so This game needs a FAIR review. The game is amazing, but not without its fault. Its graphics are good, it's mechanics and game design are pretty decent. It's a nice open world game, but it isn't perfect. I would prefer OoT or maybe even the original, although I did like WindWaker. I think the game is fun, but I think it needs a tad bit ofOkay, all reviews here are either 10/10 or 0/10 so This game needs a FAIR review. The game is amazing, but not without its fault. Its graphics are good, it's mechanics and game design are pretty decent. It's a nice open world game, but it isn't perfect. I would prefer OoT or maybe even the original, although I did like WindWaker. I think the game is fun, but I think it needs a tad bit of more tutorial. The fighting mechanics are nice, but not the best again. The story might need a slight bit more work, but I will wait for the expansions. The soundtrack is also another plus. In my opinion, the main points holding it back for me is the lack of a tutorial and the fighting mechanics. The world is massive, and if you are a die-hard fan, go get it. If you're a casual Zelda player, go get it. If you've never played, it's a nice entry to the series. If you don't like open world or adventure, I would not recommend. I think the story is nice, but once again, slightly lacking. Expand
  83. Mar 15, 2017
    The game has several flaws, which makes all the 10/10 reviews very questionable. The story is rather poor. The world isn't as "alive" compared to most other AAA open world games (Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Horizon) we have seen lately. The move to open world/survival/dark souls is an interesting direction, which has both it's pros and cons. There are however lot's of lovely details in this gameThe game has several flaws, which makes all the 10/10 reviews very questionable. The story is rather poor. The world isn't as "alive" compared to most other AAA open world games (Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Horizon) we have seen lately. The move to open world/survival/dark souls is an interesting direction, which has both it's pros and cons. There are however lot's of lovely details in this game and the gameplay is mostly fun. Expand
  84. Mar 8, 2017
    Good game not great and not one of the best Zelda games. The game has 4 dungeons and 100 shrines (mini dungeons) all of which are very easy and pose no challenge unlike previous instalments. Finding new Vistas and the sense of exploration can be great but getting there in the first place can be repetitive and frustrating as you are unable to climb when it is raining (which is the mainGood game not great and not one of the best Zelda games. The game has 4 dungeons and 100 shrines (mini dungeons) all of which are very easy and pose no challenge unlike previous instalments. Finding new Vistas and the sense of exploration can be great but getting there in the first place can be repetitive and frustrating as you are unable to climb when it is raining (which is the main mechanic for getting anywhere.)

The games framerate is awful, probably the worst I have seen since Just Cause 3 and it can impact on the game and definitely does on the immersion. I have also seen issue with physic where the game seems to stutter (perhaps due to switch cartridges.) Considering this is a Nintendo game it is very surprising as they have always prided themselves on high quality software.
  85. Mar 13, 2017
    Its MEDIOCRE. almost if not all reviews are from fanboys and hardcore fans. I mean i understand its a huge thing compared to past games, but a perfect game? Far from it. These people need to stop with their biased reviews.
  86. Mar 28, 2017
    Tired of shrine grind after 50 hours and 0 story progression. Meaningless side quest.
    Just don't belive all the prise, It's nothing special. You won't loose anything.
  87. Mar 15, 2017
    Say what you want about it. Zelda's latest installment is nothing more than a clunky test of a player's patience. From a tedious to navigate and empty open world, to frustrating controls, and a combat system that can **** right off. Weapon durability is way over toned and does nothing for the game other than make rewards feel empty in a lot of places.

I respect how well crafted the

I respect how well crafted the overall game is, but too many of the games systems are ****ing annoying for me to keep playing. Shame I bought a Switch for this, I was hoping that my first Zelda game would give me a better experience. Instead I was just aggravated.
  88. Apr 19, 2017
    I felt compelled to write an honest review because everything else is either "10/10 OMG IT'S ZELDA" or "LOL NEVER PLAYED IT BUT 0/10".

I've played nearly every Zelda game. It is my favorite game series, and OoT is my favorite game of all time. I generally only hate on Zelda when it has something annoying getting in the way of the fun (such as Skyward Sword's and Phantom Hourglass's controls). This game is not amazing. It is a solid open world game with no particular strengths or weaknesses (other than having a giant world with nothing in it, but that's expected at this point). The story is standard Zelda fare, the graphics are great, the music is good when it's actually playing, and the controls are solid, though the mapping takes a little getting used to.

Don't buy a Switch just for this game. Play it on your WiiU if you have one, or just wait until there's more reasons to buy a Switch.
  89. Aug 20, 2017
    Enjoyable. There's a couple things that let it down for me. 95 percent of the shrines are extremely easy. The second thing is that there are maybe 6 enemies and 4 mini boss type enemies throughout the game and they have a colour change in other areas. That's very slack to me. There's no themed dungeons. No memorable music. The ending fell flat. The positives: Huge world, lots of details. AEnjoyable. There's a couple things that let it down for me. 95 percent of the shrines are extremely easy. The second thing is that there are maybe 6 enemies and 4 mini boss type enemies throughout the game and they have a colour change in other areas. That's very slack to me. There's no themed dungeons. No memorable music. The ending fell flat. The positives: Huge world, lots of details. A lot of effort put into animation, reactions, believability. A younger player would probably become nostalgic about this game. Expand
  90. Mar 17, 2017
    To give an impression of play time have completed 74/120 shrines and unlocked all of the towers.

The negatives: - Quest and character depth are pretty minimal compared to something like The Witcher. - Enemy variety is also lacking there are 12 enemy types (Lynel, Hinox, Molduga, Talus, Bokoblin, Moblin, Lizalfos, Wizzrobe, Chuchu, Keese, Octorock, Guardians) and they are all seen

The negatives:
    - Enemy variety is also lacking there are 12 enemy types (Lynel, Hinox, Molduga, Talus, Bokoblin, Moblin, Lizalfos, Wizzrobe, Chuchu, Keese, Octorock, Guardians) and they are all seen throughout the map, just recolored or with a different elemental power in different areas.
    - Weapons degrade too quickly, most weapons are not durable enough to kill a single one of the tougher enemy types without breaking (White Wokoblin, Blue Moblin, Black Lizalfos, Lynel, Hinox, Molduga, Talus)
    - Tougher variants of common enemies (White Wokoblin, Blue Moblin, Black Lizalfos) don't fight any differently than their weaker counterparts, they just have their damage and health cranked way up. Most of these units can be easily knocked down in a few hits but then you have to sit there breaking weapons on them for ~30s until they die.
    - There are only 4 real dungeons in the game, they are all quite small, and all have the same type of puzzles.
    - Too many "____'s Blessing" shrines that have no puzzle inside of them.
    - Occasional stuttering when playing in docked mode.

The positives:
    - Nostalgia, nostalgia in spades.
    - It's a pretty good take on the standard ubisoft open world game. Towers unlock portions of the map but unlike a ubisoft game the towers do not then litter your map with icons. Exploration is key in finding everything.
    - The exploration mechanics are great, The paraglider and climbing mechanics make traversing the map quite fun.
    - There is weapon and armor variety well beyond any other LoZ game.
    - Combat presents a greater challenge than other LoZ games and taking down the miniboss monsters (Lynel, Hinox, Molduga, Talus) scattered around the map is very rewarding.
    - Smooth frames and no stuttering when playing in handheld mode.

Overall it's a pretty decent open world game with some shortcomings but a good amount of fun.
  91. Mar 19, 2017
    this game is a risk and its payed of them but lets get this right weapons breaking after three hits and changing weapon in mid battle is annoying .with stupid mechanic system they got in place needs addressing .yes it not a ps4 or xbox one but as a open world ... they have stepped up and shown that u can create a organic world .trees climbing coldness heat stamina .now that to methis game is a risk and its payed of them but lets get this right weapons breaking after three hits and changing weapon in mid battle is annoying .with stupid mechanic system they got in place needs addressing .yes it not a ps4 or xbox one but as a open world ... they have stepped up and shown that u can create a organic world .trees climbing coldness heat stamina .now that to me suprised me i died in water in the game lol due to my stamina .but ive given it 7/10 due to the fact aswell some of the chests are pointless u use a good weapon or a chest is underwater near rock thing u got some kid of decent reward to findout its bloody arrows or something pathetic . but well done nintendo on a game thats is amust buy for the switch and wii u. Expand
  92. Mar 30, 2017
    As a Zelda fan, I consider Breath of the Wild a good game but it's not as perfect as most reviewers say because:

1. Poor acting choices (Zelda) If you decide to include a few (and just a few) voices in the game just do it right! Zelda has always been one of my favourite characters since Ocarina of Time. She was mysterious, daring and somehow cool. I'm so disappointed with her

1. Poor acting choices (Zelda)

If you decide to include a few (and just a few) voices in the game just do it right! Zelda has always been one of my favourite characters since Ocarina of Time. She was mysterious, daring and somehow cool. I'm so disappointed with her ridiculously trembling voice that no one can believe nor take seriously.

There are a few other issues with the game but Zelda's voice is something that could have been chosen right easily!

2. Frustrating climbing

It rains a lot in Breath of the Wild and whenever it rains, you can't climb. It's that simple. I was stuck on an island with no shrines around and no way to make fire but I wanted to explore it anyway. All I could do was wait a long while until I was able to climb to keep checking the island. Another good example is when you are near the top of the mountain and then it starts raining and you fall all the way down. Lovely! To make things worse, 90% of the terrain requires climbing.

3. Disappointing dungeons (including the mystical ones)

I firmly believe that they are the worst in the series. Mostly, they are superficial and gimmicky.

4. Awkward inventory system

You have to eat food to restore hearts and stamina in a pause menu which feels very awkward to do while climbing and fighting. Also, all weapons break easily so you have to hold right to open the weapons menu and select another weapon in the middle of almost every single fight, which literally breaks the action.

5. Technical issues (choppy frame rate and game freezing)

Noticeable technical issues don't make a good game bad but they are detrimental to the enjoyment of the game, period.

6. Visuals are good and bad

Some places look quite good, like the beaches and sea, while other places look not exactly pointillist but just blurry a la Skyward Sword.

7. Music (where?)

Seriously, where's the music? All you are going to hear most of the time is some short harmonies (no, it's not your phone's notifications) or background sounds. And why did they replace the old ranch music with the new and much worse one? Zora's music is still awesome but it's drowned in the water and can hardly be heard.

Conclusion

I still like the game quite much regardless of its issues but after over 80 hours I can't see why it should be considered the best Zelda game ever. Reviewers will admit this eventually, once enough time has passed by. There are a few articles daring to say so already. I think some hidden Switch marketing is the reason for many websites to crown Breath of the Wild. Nevertheless, it's a good game that is so overrated.
  93. Mar 30, 2017
    I love the Zelda series, especially LttP, OoT,and MM, but I guess I just don't like survival/exploration-based open world games as much as everybody else seems too. Also, that weapon durability system is plain stupid.
  94. Jul 10, 2017
    This game is overrated beyond belief, them changing the Zelda formula was a bad move and I hope when the next one comes they go back to it. The divine beast are not a good replacement for dungeons and there being **** by hiding the fully powered master sword behind DLC
  95. May 10, 2017
    breath of the broken weapon, crappy controls, barely any story and repetitive gameplay. nintendo should stop relying on gimmicks and should focus on whats become industry standards
  96. Jun 7, 2017
    It's Beautiful game but mechanics are so different this game that looks another game, I like this série but remove the classic dungeons, it was not cool, too tedious to collect the pieces of heart this time, made me stop searching quickly. Lots of history for a very empty game, causing a feeling of discomfort. I hope get better in the next game.
  97. Nov 17, 2017
    Zelda Breathe of the Wild can be a very fun game, and it has a lot of extremely good qualities about it, such as sound design, how you fight, and a pretty engaging and wide world to explore.

That said, I did not have much fun actually playing this game to advance because of annoying gaming mechanics that could have very easily been done differently or tweaked to acceptable levels. A couple examples of these mechanics are the hot or cold zones, especially early on in the game where if you're in a cold or hot environment for too long, you take damage. This has been done well before in previous Zelda iterations like Ocarina of Time where these zones are limited to small areas you can hop into and out of in the early game fully knowing where the start and end of the zone is. You're stuck having to stuff your face with a potion you farm the ingredients for and wonder if the 5 minutes of safety is enough to accomplish what you want to in the zone.

That, however, isn't even close to the most annoying mechanic in this game. Imagine you found a truly awesome looking weapon. You can see yourself mowing down hoards of enemies with your new found blade. Ten swings later, it shatters into dust. This happens for virtually every weapon in the game. Don't even bother attempting to get attached to a weapon because it's going to break after a few enemies anyway.

Great idea, poor execution on the basics.
  98. Jun 14, 2018
    Overrated game. I don't like puzzles, labyrinth, and story is not interesting. Weapons brake so easily and shrine quests are too much difficult
  99. Mar 12, 2017
    I found the game to be more frustrating than fun and more monotonous than interesting. It was just a generic open world game with The Legend of Zelda slapped on the cover. Not much in this felt like a LoZ game and in my opinion that was a negative not a positive. Definitely the worst Zelda game I have ever played.
  100. Mar 31, 2017
    Dont listen to the fanboys, it's the worst Zelda, only the map and the physics are great, that's all. If you have played the rest of the saga this game will disappoint you.

1. Dec 12, 2017
    Where it takes mechanics from others in the industry, it improves upon them; where it introduces new ones, you slap your forehead in amazement that it hasn’t been done before. Breath of the Wild is development done right, and damn near the best game you’ll play all year.
  2. Aug 30, 2017
    Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece.
  3. Games Master UK
    May 19, 2017
    Up there with the finest Zelda games, Breath of the Wild is bold, liberating, and utterly astonishing. [Apr 2017, p.60]