8.3

1. Jul 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An Intergalactic Adventure!

Armillo is a 3D platformer developed by Fuzzy Wuzzy Games exclusively for the Wii U console and features a potentially iconic mascot named Armillo an Armadillo with alot of speed! But what did we think of the game itself? Well keep reading to find out!

Armillo feels like a mixture of many different classic games, but at the same time feels completely unique for instance the ball rolling mechanics feel like Marble madness, but some of the sections of the 3D levels feel like Pac-man, while Armillo's speed is reminiscent of Sonic The Hedgehog, and the planet hopping feels similar to Super Mario Galaxy! That's where the similarities end however as the game has very fresh mechanics and superb level designs. Each 3D stage has safe areas, alternate dimensions where you'll die if you stick around for too long, and Dark Moon zones where you try to collect as many orbs as you can within a given time limit, the Dark Moon zones aren't available in boss stages however.

The safe areas force you to collect orbs and help out your little friends that have been captured to open up locked areas and sometimes you must face bosses and tough obstacles in these safe areas, however there is no time limit in these areas! The alternate dimensions are poisonous to Armillo so you can't stick around for long or you'll lose a life, however sometimes items you need are located in these areas such as keys that you must collect to progress in the safe areas! There are also cubes to find in the alternate dimensions that unlock a 2D platforming stage which we'll talk about later in the review. Each 3D stage has one cube containing a 2D platforming level!

The Dark Moon stages begin after a level is finished and you get limited time which is based on how many of your animal friends that you save during the level to obtain more orbs! As for the 2D stages, they are very difficult compared to the 3D stages and have a very short time-limit to reach the goal at the end of the stage. Armillo possesses 20 3D levels and 25 2D levels meaning that the game has a whopping 45 stages to complete and will likely take first-time players 8-10 hours to beat completely! The game also has several power-ups such as an animal cannon to shoot enemies with and giant Armillo which causes Armillo to grow to massive proportions to destroy enemies that would normally harm him. There are other power-ups to find as well!

The orbs in the game can be used to purchase useful in-game effects in the store located at The Critter Corner such as extra health, more time in the Dark Moon Zone, etc. You can also access your 2D stages from The Critter Corner as well!

The controls in the game are easy to learn, but difficult to fully master however they are as smooth as butter and very responsive which is always a good thing, especially for platforming titles! The Off-TV play is also implemented flawlessly and doesn't have any visual or audio issues.

The graphics in Armillo are fantastic! The special effects really pop in HD and the level designs are breathtaking! The 3D stages have alot of variety and the character and enemy models like superb as well! The only negative thing to mention about the graphics is that all of the 2D stages look too similar, perhaps if they had a unique background in each stage it would give it more uniqueness, however it's only a minor complaint and doesn't affect our score of the game by very much.

The soundtrack in Armillo is simply amazing, especially during the 2D stages and the sound effects are also high quality. There is also some voice acting from some of the alien enemies which sounds pretty cool as well! Overall the game's presentation is nearly flawless!

Bottom-Line:

With incredible 3D and 2D platforming gameplay and 45 stages to conquer Armillo will keep you coming back for more, while the responsive controls and nearly flawless audio-visual presentation will immerse you in the game's amazing world! Armillo is a top-notch title that belongs in every person's Wii U library and we highly suggest downloading the game!
  2. Jul 4, 2014
    I've gotta say, I'm more than impressed. From the spot-on controls, immediately lovable mascots and addictive gameplay, to the techno-nature menu soundtrack, bonus 2D levels and upgrade system, Armillo has managed to exceed expectations in every single aspect. Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of its' parts, and Armillo is a classic example of that.
    Reviews have been scarce for
    this title, so allow me to set the record straight- Armillo is much better than you're probably expecting. Navigating the maze of guided rail paths on the surface of 3D Planets is fun in and of itself, but the upgrade system makes the game all the more addictive. Not to mention alternate dimension traveling, bonus Moon Worlds, unlockable 2D platforming levels (which are VERY novel and entertaining btw) and boss fights. It all comes together nicely, and I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who, well, likes fun games :) Expand
  3. Jul 21, 2014
    Armillo is a game that is a lot of fun to play, and easy to play too with the great controls and fun story. The only thing i think thats holding it back is the few bugs in the game and a couple framerate issues but those will most likely be fixed with an update. But for the low low price of what it is i cant complain, id say i definitely got my moneys worth.
  4. Jul 16, 2014
    This game is an underrated classic. A $40 game for only $5.99. Over 20 hours of content if you collect everything. And those 2D levels, wow. A must buy for any Wii U owner. I have to say, those who scored it low probably didn't play for more than 1 hour. Please complete the game before reviewing.
  5. Jul 14, 2014
    Armillo from Fuzzy Wuzzy Games is a console exclusive Wii U games that brings what we love about Super Monkey Ball and Sonic games together. The game loads itself with content with a in-game shop for upgrades, secret levels to unlock on each stage, and catchy music. If you love chiptunes, the secret stages are some of my favorite tracks in the entire game. Controls are tight and graphics are crisp and detailed, a stark contrast from the early alphas I got to see. The delay was worth it and we get a prettier and more complete package. This game even takes advantage of the gyrometer if you feel like taking on the challenge, making it feel like you are really rolling Armillo around with the Wii U Gamepad. Pick this one up if you need to escape the average platformers and try something new (and awesome). A Loading Time.com review. Expand
  6. Jul 12, 2014
    I have absolutely no idea why this is getting mediocre reviews. i'm in love with this game. It has gameplay that screams fun and innovation, and the graphics are just beautiful for an indie game on wii u. the only faults i can find are the very meh soundtrack and the occasional framerate issues.
  7. Jul 15, 2014
    I first got my hands on Armillo at a convention and it was nothing short of amazing - intuitive controls, great level design, proper physics, beautiful graphics, amazing soundtracks/audio details, plus all the adorable characters. I haven't had such fun with a game in a long time (that I finished Armillo in two sittings and bought myself a WiiU for its launch in eShop).

The 3D levels
    have lots of replay value, and the unlockable 2D levels are such a treat. The game has the perfect learning curve where levels gradually increase in difficulty - they are challenging at times but never frustrating. New mechanics are being introduced every few levels so the game is always refreshing and rewarding. Armillo exceeds all my expectations with its pure, fun, gameplay, and I'd highly recommend you start rolling with that little guy! Expand
  8. Jul 15, 2014
    This game is great fun. My thoughts: tight controls, enjoyable gameplay, great music/audio, and nice concept. Minor technical issues as well, but doesn't detract from the overall experience. Read my full review here - http://thenintendoobjective.com/2014/07/02/armillo-review/
  9. Jul 16, 2014
    It’s hard to not compare indie games to the good titles of old, often they’ll be graphically similar, with a distinguished 8/16/32-bit graphical style, but Armillo draws comparisons for a much different, but arguably better reason, the gameplay. You’ll see and feel the echoes of ’80s and ’90s games, but don’t worry, Armillo isn’t stuck in the past, and shows that it is possible to cram in several ideas and influences from other titles and make a spectacular game, one to even rival the creativity of Nintendo’s EAD employees.

From the very start, comparisons to Super Mario Galaxy, Super Monkey Ball and one of the more obscure Sonic games will be made, due to the fact that you roll around on spherical planets, but the first title that came to my head when playing Armillo was in fact “Marble Madness. This is a new Marble Madness“. I’m wrong, of course, but controlling the game’s orange protagonist Armillo (and later on, his blue brother), is like stepping back into the past, where you roll around terrains and planets made up of different ideas and concepts.

The first world you visit, titled “Armillo’s World” gives you the basics, there’s no boring tutorial, controls are accessible to everyone and easily picked up (there’s an option to use the GamePad’s accelerometer should you be up to the challenge). You’ll quickly be smashing rocks and enemies by “boosting” into them. There’s two main actions you can perform, jump and boost, which, when tied together, can be used to give yourself a lengthier boost. I can see this game being very popular with speedrunners in the near future. In Armillo’s World and later ones, power-ups will be scattered across the land mass for Armillo and his brother to use. These power-ups will have various effects, such as making Armillo bigger, smaller, giving him an extra life or a heart, or even extra time.

In each level, there are portals to a parallel universe, a sort of dark world, where Armillo only has a limited amount of time to find the exit. These portals open up all sorts of puzzle elements and boy does the game make use of them. Sometimes hints will be given in the dark world, which you’ll need to utilise in the “light” world, such as X marks on certain spots where crates need to be placed. It’s certainly challenging and puts you under a lot of pressure. Once you’ve come to the end of a level, you’ll find essentially a sort of boost pad, which, according to how many of Armillo’s blue critter friends you’ve saved along the way, will give you a certain amount of time to collect as many orbs as you can on the moon. These orbs are collected throughout all levels and levels’ moons, and can be used in the in-game shop to boost Armillo’s powers, such as making him stronger, giving him extra hearts or giving him additional seconds.

The strongest part of this game is how many different gameplay elements it has in it. You’ll sometimes be required to pick up the dynamite power-up, which gives you three seconds in order to get back to the rocks you want to blow up, so you’ll need to carefully navigate back to the right position. Some enemies will shoot at you, which will either damage you, or make you much slower, or even inverse the controls. There will be times where you’ll shrink, or even get much bigger. Puzzles will need to be solved, lasers will need to be dodged, platforms will need to be jumped on and off. Sometimes you’ll need to turn into a cube to get past enemies or rocks, or use boosts in order to get over a large gap, or you’ll need to use a gun in order to destroy the Darkbots. Armillo has a lot going on, and it’s easy to make all these elements feel excessive and unneeded, but the game blends them to good use.

I’ve been very surprised by Armillo, from the story, I was expecting the traditional “Orange Armadillo saves Pink Armadillo”, to the sheer amount of ideas and creativity expressed in the levels,and the brilliant 2D levels as well as the soundtrack, I’ve been blown away. I’d love to play lots more. Fuzzy Wuzzy Games have done a superb job in making a new IP which doesn’t stick to the traditional 2D, 16-bit indie platformer forumla. This fast-paced action and puzzle adventure should be on your list of games to buy soon.
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    Welcome to the mind of the developers at Fuzzy Wuzzy Games! A place where Pigs Can Fly and Apes have taken over the planet! It’s also a place where an armadillo named Armillo can live and breathe in space! This is ARMILLO developed by Fuzzy Wuzzy Games! STORY: Armillo the Space Armadillo just came back home from an intergalactic vacation, only to find that evil robotic Darkbots have invaded his home world! With no knowledge of how they got there, or why they have arrived, Armillo must fend off these invaders to save the galaxy! GAMEPLAY/CONTENT: Playing as Armillo is a blast! I mean who ever thought that you’d one day get to play a game as a badass Space Armadillo?! Well i surely didn’t! In the game enjoy rolling around different planets, slamming into evil enemy Darkbots, collecting orbs (The games Currency), and rescuing blue critters! Collecting orbs will unlock many neat items in the games shop! Including special 2D Levels, which add a ton of replay value to the game! They will also allow you to purchase extra health and lives, vital items in the game! Blue Critters are trapped all over each planet! Rescue them to gain access special critter gun weapons, and to unlock new areas! Armillo’s rolling mechanic feels very smooth, although there are times where the game will freeze up for a few seconds. This can dampen the overall experience, but i know that Fuzzy Wuzzy Games is well aware of this issue, so i won’t let it affect my score of the game! This is definitely a game of skill, as avoiding enemies, trying not lose your 3 lives, and moving perfectly across arrows requires some serious concentration! The 2D Levels require a massive amount of skill, as you are timed and have to quickly maneuver around obstacles! So with the 3D Levels and 2D Levels in the game, combined with extra items to purchase in the shop, you will be playing this game for many hours! Overall the gameplay and content is spectacular! CONTROLS: Controlling Armillo feels great! Simply use the joystick to move him all around each planet! Use Y or X to bash into objects and shoot Darkbots with the critter gun, and use A or B to Jump around the environment. You also have the option of using the Gamepads accelerometer to move around! This is a much more challenging way to play the game, but if you are up for the tilting test, then feel free to try it out! Overall controls feel amazing! VISUALS: Boy oh boy, the visuals of Armillo are breathtaking! With Intense colors, gorgeous animations, and spectacular lighting effects, you can’t go wrong with the graphics in this game! I love the 3D cartoony artstyle, as well as the 2D papery look in the special levels! The Visuals are just jaw dropping! MUSIC: The soundtrack of Armillo is really cool!! With epic techno beats, your ears will be in heaven!! I catch myself bopping up and down to the music every time that i play!! They create an awesome electronic space ambience! THE VERDICT: Armillo is a masterpiece, with amazing gameplay, extensive amounts of content, perfect controls, gorgeous visuals, and an epic soundtrack! If you don’t already own this game then what are you waiting for??? SHIGERU REVIEW SCORE: 10/10 Armillo is Now Available in the Wii U eshop for $7.99! Be sure to pick it up today!! Expand
  11. Aug 6, 2014
    (Actual Review) Only such words can describe the game. Brilliant, Spectacular, Amazing, and any words in between. Armillo is a charming character, who discovered that his home planet has been taken over by the power-hungry Darkbots. Led by their leader Roto, they wreak havoc among the Five Worlds. Many exciting plot twists, secret levels, and unlockables await you in an endless world of awesome! The main story takes you through Five worlds, in hope to finally end Roto's plans. Intensity increases as the worlds get more challenging if you don't watch your step. Later on, you'll eventually find out what Roto is planning, and why. Epic battles await you, even some unexpected ones. Be on your toes at all times, you never know what's going to happen next. Bolobol, Armillo's brother playes a minor role from the start, but it gradually gets bigger as the game progresses. If your looking to score 100%, I hope you stop by the Critter Corner to pick up some goods to help you on your way. Secrets are hidden EVERYWHERE especially if you want those secret levels. Getting and Playing the secret levels is no cakewalk. Sometimes they are hidden in obvious places, sometimes they are hidden in secret areas that you REALLY have to look hard for. It adds an exciting new challenge to the levels apart from just beating them. Critters play a large role, basically appearing in almost, in not all the levels in the game. They always help Armillo out by, finding new information, solving puzzles, and being a primary weapon. Also, the environment and the music are very fitting for the levels, you may even find surprises in some. Armillo is an excellent game, and I hope to see more of him in the future. That's why i'm giving the game a solid 10 out of 10. Please pick up a game if you haven't already. It's all worth it. Armillo, you have EXCEEDED my expectations. Thank you Fuzzy Wuzzy Games, #ArmilloGame, and all the other supporters for the project! Thank You! Expand

1. Aug 13, 2014
    It's well presented, the control system is properly tuned and its difficulty level is balanced, qualities which amount to an entertaining work. Nevertheless, there are several flaws which should not be overlooked in a final game and which require a thorough revision, such as an irregular frame rate.
  2. Aug 6, 2014
    It's a good platform, all things considered, and one that doesn't regret to celebrate some of the best sagas of the genre. Clearly, it ends struggling to find its own identity, but platforming fans will be engaged.
  3. Aug 1, 2014
    For around the same price as a large extra value meal at McDonald's, Armillo provides a much better value and also doesn't pile on the pounds.