8.4

1. Mar 26, 2017
    A pretty big disappointment after Asylum. While the asylum itself was interesting and varied, the world of Arkham City is brown and boring. The gameplay is fine, but the world doesn't make it interesting in the same way Asylum did.
  2. Oct 27, 2014
    Like good drama, Arkham City feels absolutely real, thanks mainly to the IP itself, but what Rocksteady has achieved it's relevant as well, offering to us one of the best action games of the last decade... when speaking of the good versions, something that the Wii U one isn't. Unstable frame rate, bugs and stuttering make Arkham City unsatisfying on Wii U.
  3. Sep 30, 2014
    I played Asylum on the 360 and thought it was one of last gen's best games. The Wii U version is a buggy mess. There are framerate issues and all around it looks like a very lazy port from WB Montreal (that's right...Rocksteady couldn't be bothered to do it themselves) just like most 3rd party games on the Wii U. What I think happens is they port straight over from the 360 and that'sI played Asylum on the 360 and thought it was one of last gen's best games. The Wii U version is a buggy mess. There are framerate issues and all around it looks like a very lazy port from WB Montreal (that's right...Rocksteady couldn't be bothered to do it themselves) just like most 3rd party games on the Wii U. What I think happens is they port straight over from the 360 and that's it...no optimization, effects, shading, nothing! So it just looks off. I tried the PS3 version and it looks and runs better so I know it's just the Wii U version. But performance not withstanding...this does not messure up to AA in the slightest. It's probably a game that didn't need to be made but they had to. Expand
  4. Jun 27, 2013
    Call me grouchy, but I can't help but feel the quest for flashy graphics and gritty realism is chipping away at what made great action games in the past: the gameplay.

Case in point: the critically-acclaimed Batman Arkham series. It sure sounds a lot of fun to get to wear the Dark Knight's (or Catwoman's) skin and explore the sprawling "detention block" of Gotham City. The case is even more so when you have all of Batman's gadgets at your disposal. This immersive presentation is where Arkham City really shines, at times making you feel as if you're inside a Batman movie. But the mechanics to make such a thing even possible end up convoluted, to the point where you'll need the game's constant on-screen tips and reminders to even get what you're supposed to do next.

Arkham City could definitely learn a thing or two from the Zelda Castlevania book of epic adventuring. The most immediately obvious problem with the game is how it completely overwhelms you from the get-go with a plethora of available information, menus and weapons something both the aforementioned series avoid in exchange for a more linear method of getting new items over time and/or upgrading them. The game would greatly benefit from a more spread-out learning curve, perhaps letting you play in Bruce Wayne mode for a while longer, and focusing more on fun gameplay than on the (admittedly impressive) cinematics and cutscenes.

Once you get the hang of it, though, Arkham City can be a rewarding experience. The combat system is pure old hack and slash, with some added nuance from counter-strikes. The gamepad-based mechanics, such as detective mode and the sonar, are often cute, even if sometimes they feel a bit gimmicky. And of course, Batman's world remains as intriguing as ever.

If you're a fan of the modern style of action games, you should be thrilled with Arkham City. Otherwise, I'd suggest giving it a try before you buy it.
  5. Jan 2, 2013
    It's rare that 3 letters can describe a single game, but that is the case here. Those 3 letters? Wow. I played a little bit of Arkham Asylum and wasn't the biggest fan, it just didn't connect with me very well. I had read the rave reviews of Arkham City but never gave it a try. So when I got the Wii U I figured I would finally give it a shot. Simply amazing. The game is so much fun. ItIt's rare that 3 letters can describe a single game, but that is the case here. Those 3 letters? Wow. I played a little bit of Arkham Asylum and wasn't the biggest fan, it just didn't connect with me very well. I had read the rave reviews of Arkham City but never gave it a try. So when I got the Wii U I figured I would finally give it a shot. Simply amazing. The game is so much fun. It reminds me of a mix between Spider-Man 2 and Grand Theft Auto. Though I would say I enjoyed this game better than those 2. Graphically it is fantastic. I've heard the Wii U version is the best looking though I can't confirm nor deny that. The music is outstanding as well and sounds very similar to the score of the Dark Knight films. Now the controls are where Arkham Asylum turned me off. There seemed to be a lot of strange button combinations to do simple actions. Like pressing A + R, or something similar. The same is the case in Arkham City but it feels more comfortable and natural. They still take a bit get used to, but the Wii U gamepad makes it better. Speaking of the gamepad, the way it's used here is very surprising. I would have expected them to maybe have a map on there or cutscenes like the other Wii U ports. And while they do have those features, it has many more. All of your gadgets are easily accessible by simply touching them on the gamepad. You can even map certain gadgets to the d-pad for quick access. Some gadgets are strictly used on the gamepad like hacking computers and controlling the remote batarang. It works beautifully. Also on the gamepad is character bios, your entire suit upgrade system, and whenever you communicate with somebody via walkie talkie, it's played through the gamepad speaker. It all really gives you the impression that the developers really cared about this Wii U version which really makes it a great version to have. So that's where I'll end things. This has become one of my favorite games of the year and maybe my favorite Wii U game and I really recommend you play it if you're looking for an excellent game that really shows what makes the Wii U a unique console. Thanks! Collapse

1. Feb 3, 2014
    An outstanding experience that will throw the player into Arkham's sombre environments. This game is able to turn nearly everyone into a Batman follower, whether they're ready or not. An essential title which perfectly ties exquisite story-telling with near-perfect gameplay mechanics.
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    Batman: Arkham City is one of the best games ever created, no matter the platform. It’s engaging from beginning to end, the production values are first rate, and on Wii U there’s an extra level of depth to the experience. You can't go wrong with an outright purchase.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jan 23, 2013
    Armoured Edition is an excellent superhero's sandbox. The BatGamePad-gadgets work nicely. [Jan 2013]