8.4

1. Aug 21, 2015
    I did not enjoy this at all, after looking forward to it for ages. And I feel bad for disliking it, because the art is gorgeous, and the world is indeed very compelling. But the turn-based battles just seemed so disruptive and abrupt and painful after the beautiful flow of exploring that I was immediately turned off and frustrated. I'm not sure how anyone finds it fun to stand thereI did not enjoy this at all, after looking forward to it for ages. And I feel bad for disliking it, because the art is gorgeous, and the world is indeed very compelling. But the turn-based battles just seemed so disruptive and abrupt and painful after the beautiful flow of exploring that I was immediately turned off and frustrated. I'm not sure how anyone finds it fun to stand there waiting for an enemy to attack you while you do nothing. Yet everyone seems to love the game...I'm mystified. Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2015
    Child of Light... is. It is a video game. It has gameplay. It has a story. It doesn't do a lot poorly but the interesting things it does don't push the game that far out of the middle ground after the game undermines its own fun pieces. A few days out of finishing it, I don't have a lot more than a vague recollection of having played it to completion and the notes I took during that time.Child of Light... is. It is a video game. It has gameplay. It has a story. It doesn't do a lot poorly but the interesting things it does don't push the game that far out of the middle ground after the game undermines its own fun pieces. A few days out of finishing it, I don't have a lot more than a vague recollection of having played it to completion and the notes I took during that time.
    Easily the best part of the game is that it has a version of the Grandia battle system, which is by far my favorite way to do combat in a turn-based game, but you have the power to manipulate the enemy's speed on the timeline using a sprite ally. In Grandia, you could slightly delay or knockback enemies on the timeline, but you can't do that here, so you don't get the ability to juggle enemies between allies. Part of the fun of Grandia was that once your characters got strong enough and you as the player got good enough, you could manage the timeline so well that not even the final boss could get an attack off. CoL doesn't have that same feeling and managing the timeline through the manipulation your sprite ally gives you is tedious and feels more artificial. This is also the biggest place that the game shoots itself in the foot because bosses quickly gain the ability to hit you with massive stat debuffs or heal themselves if you interrupt them on the timeline. It's basically the game's way of punishing you for engaging in its best system. The game also doesn't remember your cursor position between turns, leading to some blown opportunities and wasted turns if you forget to scroll back to your previous attack. You level up quickly, which is nice, but the regular battles feel like time wasters. You can heal for free between fights with a meter that refills over time, so if you do well, it just saves you from having to stand around while the meter fills, but if you do poorly, just stand still and you'll be back at full health. That means that only boss fights have anything at stake or a feeling of urgency, but the game puts a lot of small fights along the way. I'm always in favor of lower frequency but more meaningful combat, especially when there's nothing driving the need for a lot of little fights. There's also an oddly long delay between when you collect an item and when it shows up in your inventory, but if you get into a battle during that in-between time, the item won't go into your bag and it disappears from the map. The trick is that the item respawned on the map, but it's now invisible so you have to collect this invisible item again to actually get it.
    While the battle system is fun but with problems, the story just goes nowhere. The characters speak in poetry and in a way that hurts the game. It's a terrible way to get expositional dialogue across and it feels so overwrought. Some of the rhymes are so forced that it detracts from what's actually being said as you focus on how bad the poetry is. The story has some good moments in it though. There's one character that joins your party to impress a lady and win her heart, you complete said quest, return to town, and she immediately shoots him down for being so shallow that he thought she would fall in love with him for completing a quest. That's a nice little bit I appreciated. For every small moment that's nice, the game completely undermines its main story. There's a big moment where you say goodbye to your friends and then the next room has a chest only your ally can open, so you immediately know you're going to get them back and it makes you suspicious of another character, who two minutes later double crosses you. So the game destroys its own emotional moment and big twist for the sake of an item chest. There are hints about more story than you actually get but it doesn't go anywhere. The whole final sequence is horribly rushed. You go from fighting a boss, you beat it, get your rewards and level up and get your skill points, and then there's a story sequence and you're immediately thrust into the final battle without even being allowed to use the skill points you just earned. Unless there were major revelations in the few collectibles I missed, it ends in a disappointing manner. Also, stop burying your story in missable collectibles. Do you want me to care about your game and its story or not? A big problem with all this is that without a deeper meaning to the story, the plot boils down to: light is always good, dark is always evil, and all step-parents are horrific monsters that will commit genocide just because and probably kick puppies.
    I neither disliked nor liked Child of Light. It was on sale, it reminded me that Grandia 2 is awesome, and it entertained me in a manner for a few hours. Perhaps the biggest disappointment is just that it feels like it could be so much more than time filler.
  3. Sep 2, 2015
    Child of Light has beautiful graphics and some good challenges. I was disappointed with the repetitive nature of the combat and after persevering for a while got tired of the same shtick with each combat.
  4. Mar 6, 2017
    Rhyming storytelling gives me sleep, horrendous characters and tiresome dialogs. Exploration is also bad...
    Graphics are excellent, but that's the least important thing on a good game to me.
    Game plays okay, but not my style. Seriously, many characters appear just out of nowhere and they are so boring that you couldn't care less... In my heart, I'd give it a three or 4 or less score,
    In my heart, I'd give it a three or 4 or less score, though I can admit that it's not that terrible.

1. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Jun 29, 2014
    An aesthetically pleasing wonder for the eShop. It might be a short game, but it's definitely worth the asking price. [July 2014, p.82]
  2. May 29, 2014
    Child of Light is an artist's RPG through and through. Combat is more thoughtful than intimidating, the story is at once archetypal and clever, and the game's visual and auditory flare is truly something to behold.
  3. May 28, 2014
    Child of Light is nothing short of a delight of appealing mechanics and marvelous artistic component, set to enchant those looking for a charming RPG. Its storylines could use some additional development, as well as more tasks outside the plot’s line, but this remains a solid choice.