8.1

1. Apr 29, 2014
    That's what I most expect from modern gaming. Fresh and rich new ideas, with great emphasis on mood, soundtrack and design. This game is a joy from the title screen. Local multiplayer is a big plus on Wii-U. I'll be sitting on the couch with my wife for long hours of delight.
  2. Apr 30, 2014
    I bought this game this morning because i read many good reviews and i can say i'm not disappointed ! I love the graphics and the design, the controls are comfortable like the gameplay, the musics just goes very well with the world they accompany. It's a very charming world where the characters are set !
    I also like how a "platformer" can be a rpg, the game is an original mix of some kind
    of games that are usually separated and that make it fresh ! Multiplayer is good too, i got my nephew (he's 5) helping me and he liked it !
    I recommend this game to any Wii U owner, it's worth the price.
    PS: I just regret we can't (Wii U owners) have access to the collector version, i'd have bought it.
  3. May 1, 2014
    This is one of the most beautiful games to be available only via download in the history of video games. It is pure pleasure. There is an aura about this game that makes everything else, especially Micro$oft and Phony Spaystation downloadables, seem jejune in comparison. In the world of gaming, it is a sweet success petal floating on a sea of fail.
  4. May 3, 2014
    I'm going to start this off by saying if you like Studio Ghibli films then you will love this game! It's absolutely gorgeous and we'll animated! The story is charming and gameplay is different enough to be fresh. My recommendation for anybody with even a remote understanding of rpgs is to select the hard/expert mode. So far I've yet to die on hard mode and don't see that changing. Wonderful experience thus far and a game everyone should at least try out for themselves. Expand
  5. May 27, 2014
    A tight RPG with a beautiful art style, Child of Light is arguably the best digital-only game to grace the Wii U e-Shop as of 2014.

We play as Aurora, an Austrian princess who falls ill and wakes up in the picturesque world of Lemuria. The game follows Aurora's quest to get back to her duke father in Austria, while exploring the world, collecting items, gathering allies, and defeating
    dark beasts. It's the usual RPG fare fans of the genre are accustomed to, except from a sidescrolling perspective. The battle system is a fresh take on turn-based combat, incorporating elements of real-time strategy. It all works great, in no small part thanks to the breathtaking watercolor graphics and superb background music.

The story is a heart-warming coming-of-age tale, in which Aurora uncovers the mystery of her unexpected trip. It's well-crafted and filled with interesting characters. Fittingly for the game's overall mood, it's all told in the form of a big poem, with rhyming sentences. It's a great idea that is considerably held back by the bad quality of the overall writing, with more than a few awkward rhyming structures. The content is still appealing, but the form ends up sadly muddied.

Perhaps Child of Light's greatest triumph is its tightness. At around 15 hours, the game does away with much of the fluff that plagues some RPG titles, leaving only the strictly necessary for a memorable journey through a fantasy world. There's an extensive but easy to understand skill tree for each character as they level up, while actual equipment items give way to a simple yet deep gemstone-crafting system. It's true that the world of Lemuria could well support a more extensive quest, but the game is still a refreshing experience that can make a lasting impression (and comes for the budget price of $15, it's good to note).

Child of Light is proof that an AAA company like Ubisoft can deliver titles on a smaller scale and fill them with indie charm. More impressively, it's an arguably superior game than pretty much every recent offering by the company. If you're a fan of RPGs, or if you simply enjoy gorgeous sceneries to look at while embarking on a fantastic adventure, this is a must-have.

Rating: 9.0
  6. Jul 7, 2014
    This game is BEAUTIFUL. I usually don't play RPGs, but when I learned this one was by Ubisoft, I knew I had to check it out. And I'm glad I did! Firstly, the story is really emotional and in-depth. A very miniscule personal nitpick of mine is that the dialogue is in rhyme (this itself isn't the issue), but the A and C lines don't rhyme; only the B and D lines, which to me is kind of distracting, but does not in any way hinder my experience at all. The characters are really enjoyable, and the art style? GORGEOUS. Seeing as Ubisoft used Ubiart Framework, the same program they used for both Rayman Origins and Legends, it goes without saying this game is aesthetically wonderful. The soundtrack is so heavenly; it matches the moods of the different areas you explore very nicely, and I LOVE the main theme. The gameplay is really awesome as well; they stuck with 2D sidescrolling like Rayman Origins/Legends, and it's fun to explore around. The combat system is really neat too; coming up with strategies for defeating various bosses and enemies, as with any RPG, is cool and intense. All in all, this game is great, and I'd recommend it to anybody! Expand
  7. May 5, 2014
    Captivating from the beginning story board through the end and because of that I must give it a perfect score. The battle system is surprisingly complex and wonderful. The story is one of the best children's stories conceived and would be a great one to read to your children. Many do not like the rhyming but it adds to the story book feel.
  8. May 31, 2014
    Graphics, sound, presentation, the actual ability to use the WiiU controller... this game is an RPG masterpiece. This should be the norm. Not the exception. Oh, but what a beautiful exception.
  9. Jun 20, 2014
    Child of Light. I bought this for the 5th of a full-price game, but boy did it deliver. Ubisoft doesn't really cut my mustard these days, but this game was really refreshing. Nice graphics, original story, beautiful music and relatively okay controls makes this game a nice game-experience. The turn-based fighting could have been a little more intuitive but it works. It takes time to learn tactics in some of the battles however, and the skill-system is somewhat hard to understand right away. Got a bit of collecting going on too and once you set into this the game gets a bit more interesting. Very few quests to do, but they are unlike many other games very different from each other, even though most of them involves locating places. Thumb up for this one Ubisoft, but this is the only one you will get from me this year. You won't regret buying this one. Expand
  10. Jul 17, 2014
    ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! First game I was able to play with my six year old where we took turns being the support character. She would hand me the controller for difficult Big Boss battles, but for she got to do most of the exploring. And the art is breathtaking. AND No tutorials needed... just go and explore.
  11. Sep 7, 2014
    I had no idea what to expect from this game, it was on my sister's request that I bought it. However, I was hooked right when I saw the title screen.
    The game has an undeniable atmosphere with stunning watercolor graphics and beautiful soundtrack.
    The story is built up by fairytale elements, yet it is done with originality.
    The gameplay was fluent, quick turns felt smooth even when
    going in higher speeds (although it is not recommended in the most narrow paths). Controlling both the main character and her firefly-companion could be challenging at times, but never really difficult. Speaking of the firefly, he was used in a lot of clever light-puzzles, and in the battle system as a real-time supporting character.
    The battle system in itself was introduced to you with perfect pacing. It reached higher complexity as the game progressed, calling for some strategical thinking.
    Playing it on the WiiU was especially appealing to me, since I could just switch to the gamepad and play it as a handheld. It felt even more immersive to me then.
    All in all, I'd recommend this game to both casual and serious gamers as a relaxing and immersive experience.

1. An aesthetically pleasing wonder for the eShop. It might be a short game, but it's definitely worth the asking price. [July 2014, p.82]
  2. May 29, 2014
    Child of Light is an artist's RPG through and through. Combat is more thoughtful than intimidating, the story is at once archetypal and clever, and the game's visual and auditory flare is truly something to behold.
  3. May 28, 2014
    Child of Light is nothing short of a delight of appealing mechanics and marvelous artistic component, set to enchant those looking for a charming RPG. Its storylines could use some additional development, as well as more tasks outside the plot’s line, but this remains a solid choice.