8.5

1. Apr 29, 2014
    That's what I most expect from modern gaming. Fresh and rich new ideas, with great emphasis on mood, soundtrack and design. This game is a joy from the title screen. Local multiplayer is a big plus on Wii-U. I'll be sitting on the couch with my wife for long hours of delight.
  2. May 27, 2014
    A tight RPG with a beautiful art style, Child of Light is arguably the best digital-only game to grace the Wii U e-Shop as of 2014.

We play as Aurora, an Austrian princess who falls ill and wakes up in the picturesque world of Lemuria. The game follows Aurora's quest to get back to her duke father in Austria, while exploring the world, collecting items, gathering allies, and defeating dark beasts. It's the usual RPG fare fans of the genre are accustomed to, except from a sidescrolling perspective. The battle system is a fresh take on turn-based combat, incorporating elements of real-time strategy. It all works great, in no small part thanks to the breathtaking watercolor graphics and superb background music.

The story is a heart-warming coming-of-age tale, in which Aurora uncovers the mystery of her unexpected trip. It's well-crafted and filled with interesting characters. Fittingly for the game's overall mood, it's all told in the form of a big poem, with rhyming sentences. It's a great idea that is considerably held back by the bad quality of the overall writing, with more than a few awkward rhyming structures. The content is still appealing, but the form ends up sadly muddied.

Perhaps Child of Light's greatest triumph is its tightness. At around 15 hours, the game does away with much of the fluff that plagues some RPG titles, leaving only the strictly necessary for a memorable journey through a fantasy world. There's an extensive but easy to understand skill tree for each character as they level up, while actual equipment items give way to a simple yet deep gemstone-crafting system. It's true that the world of Lemuria could well support a more extensive quest, but the game is still a refreshing experience that can make a lasting impression (and comes for the budget price of $15, it's good to note).

Child of Light is proof that an AAA company like Ubisoft can deliver titles on a smaller scale and fill them with indie charm. More impressively, it's an arguably superior game than pretty much every recent offering by the company. If you're a fan of RPGs, or if you simply enjoy gorgeous sceneries to look at while embarking on a fantastic adventure, this is a must-have.

Rating: 9.0
  3. May 1, 2014
    This is one of the most beautiful games to be available only via download in the history of video games. It is pure pleasure. There is an aura about this game that makes everything else, especially Micro$oft and Phony Spaystation downloadables, seem jejune in comparison. In the world of gaming, it is a sweet success petal floating on a sea of fail.
  4. Jan 8, 2015
    An absolutely astounding game, especially for its price tag. Child of Light is a mix of RPG and 2D Platformers, and the blend works very well. It takes influences from series such as Final Fantasy and Zelda, and then blends it all together with a charming fairytale atmosphere. The result is a game that feels simultaneously familiar, yet also innovative in subtle and key ways. GameplayAn absolutely astounding game, especially for its price tag. Child of Light is a mix of RPG and 2D Platformers, and the blend works very well. It takes influences from series such as Final Fantasy and Zelda, and then blends it all together with a charming fairytale atmosphere. The result is a game that feels simultaneously familiar, yet also innovative in subtle and key ways. Gameplay wise, it's a brilliant title from start to finish.

In particular, I was surprised by how deep the battle system was. It feels very much like the classic Final Fantasy ATB, but the focus on interruptions and dynamic cast times makes winning a difficult fight in the game exhilarating. Ubisoft did an excellent job providing the player with lots of options in terms of characters and roles. There's also an "oculi" system, a light relic/materia system in a sense. The result is a highly satisfying amount of customization. It's never overwhelming, and for a $15 game, it completely exceeded my expectations.

The title's graphics and music are a delight. The Ubiart engine does an amazing job of brining the world of lemuria to life, and the soundtrack is a beautiful mix of violin and piano. This is definitely a title in which you'll stop playing for awhile just to take in the magnificence of the atmosphere created.

Overall, I can't recommend child of light enough, it's definitely one of the best titles on the eshop right now.
  5. Oct 27, 2014
    Child of Light doesn't do anything outstanding, it's very conservative to be fair, the RPG combat remains the same throughout the 15 hour game. There's an important lack of side quest missions, weak upgrading, a cliché and unsatisfying story, and a horrible narrative. However, the art style, which resembles Romanticism and Impressionism from the 18th century, as well of gorgeous music saveChild of Light doesn't do anything outstanding, it's very conservative to be fair, the RPG combat remains the same throughout the 15 hour game. There's an important lack of side quest missions, weak upgrading, a cliché and unsatisfying story, and a horrible narrative. However, the art style, which resembles Romanticism and Impressionism from the 18th century, as well of gorgeous music save it from disaster. Those two things alone deserve a fifteen dollar purchase. Expand
  6. Jan 19, 2015
    Fresh new mechanics, aw inspiring theme, and beautiful artwork. This game is pretty flawless and fun to play. If you want a turn based RPG, Child of Light brings innovation to the genre itself.
  7. Aug 11, 2014
    I'd give this a 4 but you all know how metacritic works graphics are in simplicity : cheap gameplay is steryotypical and nothing all that knew story is non existent honestly and the audio is good but that won't make a game for me at least I did not like this one bit
  8. May 3, 2014
    I'm going to start this off by saying if you like Studio Ghibli films then you will love this game! It's absolutely gorgeous and we'll animated! The story is charming and gameplay is different enough to be fresh. My recommendation for anybody with even a remote understanding of rpgs is to select the hard/expert mode. So far I've yet to die on hard mode and don't see that changing.I'm going to start this off by saying if you like Studio Ghibli films then you will love this game! It's absolutely gorgeous and we'll animated! The story is charming and gameplay is different enough to be fresh. My recommendation for anybody with even a remote understanding of rpgs is to select the hard/expert mode. So far I've yet to die on hard mode and don't see that changing. Wonderful experience thus far and a game everyone should at least try out for themselves. Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2014
    This game is BEAUTIFUL. I usually don't play RPGs, but when I learned this one was by Ubisoft, I knew I had to check it out. And I'm glad I did! Firstly, the story is really emotional and in-depth. A very miniscule personal nitpick of mine is that the dialogue is in rhyme (this itself isn't the issue), but the A and C lines don't rhyme; only the B and D lines, which to me is kind ofThis game is BEAUTIFUL. I usually don't play RPGs, but when I learned this one was by Ubisoft, I knew I had to check it out. And I'm glad I did! Firstly, the story is really emotional and in-depth. A very miniscule personal nitpick of mine is that the dialogue is in rhyme (this itself isn't the issue), but the A and C lines don't rhyme; only the B and D lines, which to me is kind of distracting, but does not in any way hinder my experience at all. The characters are really enjoyable, and the art style? GORGEOUS. Seeing as Ubisoft used Ubiart Framework, the same program they used for both Rayman Origins and Legends, it goes without saying this game is aesthetically wonderful. The soundtrack is so heavenly; it matches the moods of the different areas you explore very nicely, and I LOVE the main theme. The gameplay is really awesome as well; they stuck with 2D sidescrolling like Rayman Origins/Legends, and it's fun to explore around. The combat system is really neat too; coming up with strategies for defeating various bosses and enemies, as with any RPG, is cool and intense. All in all, this game is great, and I'd recommend it to anybody! Expand
  10. Apr 30, 2014
    I bought this game this morning because i read many good reviews and i can say i'm not disappointed ! I love the graphics and the design, the controls are comfortable like the gameplay, the musics just goes very well with the world they accompany. It's a very charming world where the characters are set !
    I also like how a "platformer" can be a rpg, the game is an original mix of some kind of games that are usually separated and that make it fresh ! Multiplayer is good too, i got my nephew (he's 5) helping me and he liked it !
    I recommend this game to any Wii U owner, it's worth the price.
    PS: I just regret we can't (Wii U owners) have access to the collector version, i'd have bought it.
  11. Jun 20, 2014
    Child of Light. I bought this for the 5th of a full-price game, but boy did it deliver. Ubisoft doesn't really cut my mustard these days, but this game was really refreshing. Nice graphics, original story, beautiful music and relatively okay controls makes this game a nice game-experience. The turn-based fighting could have been a little more intuitive but it works. It takes time to learnChild of Light. I bought this for the 5th of a full-price game, but boy did it deliver. Ubisoft doesn't really cut my mustard these days, but this game was really refreshing. Nice graphics, original story, beautiful music and relatively okay controls makes this game a nice game-experience. The turn-based fighting could have been a little more intuitive but it works. It takes time to learn tactics in some of the battles however, and the skill-system is somewhat hard to understand right away. Got a bit of collecting going on too and once you set into this the game gets a bit more interesting. Very few quests to do, but they are unlike many other games very different from each other, even though most of them involves locating places. Thumb up for this one Ubisoft, but this is the only one you will get from me this year. You won't regret buying this one. Expand
  12. Dec 29, 2014
    Simply amazing! Its a perfect example to say that you don't need ultra HD graphics to make an amazing game experience. The only reason a gave a 9 instead of a 10 its for the short it was.
  13. Jul 15, 2014
    I generally agree with the positive reviews for Child of Light but I would add one gripe; the dialogue and it's sometimes nonsensical adherence to the need to rhyme. The characters and story are well done and hold your interest but there are many times when the dialogue bogged down to rabidly tapping the button to advance to the next line. Because of the writer's intent to makeI generally agree with the positive reviews for Child of Light but I would add one gripe; the dialogue and it's sometimes nonsensical adherence to the need to rhyme. The characters and story are well done and hold your interest but there are many times when the dialogue bogged down to rabidly tapping the button to advance to the next line. Because of the writer's intent to make everything rhyme, there are odd pauses and strange phrasing in the word play between characters. While initially amusing it becomes tiresome after awhile. It 's a beautiful game and the fight dynamics are a lot of fun with timing and resource management adding to the challenge. I would definitely recommend it, but beware that the dialogue writer goes unchecked and a good editor would have removed a lot of the verbal clutter. Expand
  14. May 14, 2014
    Gorgeous game, as to be expected in the UbiArt engine. The fresh take on the ATB system was very welcome and there's so much variety in attack. My only complaint is that normal mode was VERY easy to get through. I rarely had to use health items, until the final few bosses. This can be beaten with most quests completed in under 10 hours, so the price point is very fair.
  15. Sep 7, 2014
    I had no idea what to expect from this game, it was on my sister's request that I bought it. However, I was hooked right when I saw the title screen.
    The game has an undeniable atmosphere with stunning watercolor graphics and beautiful soundtrack.
    The story is built up by fairytale elements, yet it is done with originality. The gameplay was fluent, quick turns felt smooth even when
    The story is built up by fairytale elements, yet it is done with originality.
    The gameplay was fluent, quick turns felt smooth even when going in higher speeds (although it is not recommended in the most narrow paths). Controlling both the main character and her firefly-companion could be challenging at times, but never really difficult. Speaking of the firefly, he was used in a lot of clever light-puzzles, and in the battle system as a real-time supporting character.
    The battle system in itself was introduced to you with perfect pacing. It reached higher complexity as the game progressed, calling for some strategical thinking.
    Playing it on the WiiU was especially appealing to me, since I could just switch to the gamepad and play it as a handheld. It felt even more immersive to me then.
    All in all, I'd recommend this game to both casual and serious gamers as a relaxing and immersive experience.
  16. May 5, 2014
    Captivating from the beginning story board through the end and because of that I must give it a perfect score. The battle system is surprisingly complex and wonderful. The story is one of the best children's stories conceived and would be a great one to read to your children. Many do not like the rhyming but it adds to the story book feel.
  17. May 31, 2014
    Graphics, sound, presentation, the actual ability to use the WiiU controller... this game is an RPG masterpiece. This should be the norm. Not the exception. Oh, but what a beautiful exception.
  18. Jul 17, 2014
    ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! First game I was able to play with my six year old where we took turns being the support character. She would hand me the controller for difficult Big Boss battles, but for she got to do most of the exploring. And the art is breathtaking. AND No tutorials needed... just go and explore.
  19. Oct 11, 2014
    Cute little fascinating game that is suitable for everyone, gamers or not. It gives a nice fantasy feel of the game and the story is interesting which makes it addicting. (^ω^)
  20. Jan 21, 2015
    Awesome game. Simply a delight to play. Simple but funny battle system and progression of characters. Nice atmosphere and great music to wrap it all. Definitely recommended. :)

1. An aesthetically pleasing wonder for the eShop. It might be a short game, but it's definitely worth the asking price. [July 2014, p.82]
  2. May 29, 2014
    Child of Light is an artist's RPG through and through. Combat is more thoughtful than intimidating, the story is at once archetypal and clever, and the game's visual and auditory flare is truly something to behold.
  3. May 28, 2014
    Child of Light is nothing short of a delight of appealing mechanics and marvelous artistic component, set to enchant those looking for a charming RPG. Its storylines could use some additional development, as well as more tasks outside the plot’s line, but this remains a solid choice.