8.5

1. May 1, 2014
    This is one of the most beautiful games to be available only via download in the history of video games. It is pure pleasure. There is an aura about this game that makes everything else, especially Micro$oft and Phony Spaystation downloadables, seem jejune in comparison. In the world of gaming, it is a sweet success petal floating on a sea of fail.
  2. Apr 29, 2014
    That's what I most expect from modern gaming. Fresh and rich new ideas, with great emphasis on mood, soundtrack and design. This game is a joy from the title screen. Local multiplayer is a big plus on Wii-U. I'll be sitting on the couch with my wife for long hours of delight.
  3. Apr 30, 2014
    I bought this game this morning because i read many good reviews and i can say i'm not disappointed ! I love the graphics and the design, the controls are comfortable like the gameplay, the musics just goes very well with the world they accompany. It's a very charming world where the characters are set !
    I also like how a "platformer" can be a rpg, the game is an original mix of some kind of games that are usually separated and that make it fresh ! Multiplayer is good too, i got my nephew (he's 5) helping me and he liked it !
    I recommend this game to any Wii U owner, it's worth the price.
    PS: I just regret we can't (Wii U owners) have access to the collector version, i'd have bought it.
  4. May 3, 2014
    I'm going to start this off by saying if you like Studio Ghibli films then you will love this game! It's absolutely gorgeous and we'll animated! The story is charming and gameplay is different enough to be fresh. My recommendation for anybody with even a remote understanding of rpgs is to select the hard/expert mode. So far I've yet to die on hard mode and don't see that changing.I'm going to start this off by saying if you like Studio Ghibli films then you will love this game! It's absolutely gorgeous and we'll animated! The story is charming and gameplay is different enough to be fresh. My recommendation for anybody with even a remote understanding of rpgs is to select the hard/expert mode. So far I've yet to die on hard mode and don't see that changing. Wonderful experience thus far and a game everyone should at least try out for themselves. Collapse
  5. May 14, 2014
    Gorgeous game, as to be expected in the UbiArt engine. The fresh take on the ATB system was very welcome and there's so much variety in attack. My only complaint is that normal mode was VERY easy to get through. I rarely had to use health items, until the final few bosses. This can be beaten with most quests completed in under 10 hours, so the price point is very fair.
  6. Aug 11, 2014
    I'd give this a 4 but you all know how metacritic works graphics are in simplicity : cheap gameplay is steryotypical and nothing all that knew story is non existent honestly and the audio is good but that won't make a game for me at least I did not like this one bit
  7. May 5, 2014
    Captivating from the beginning story board through the end and because of that I must give it a perfect score. The battle system is surprisingly complex and wonderful. The story is one of the best children's stories conceived and would be a great one to read to your children. Many do not like the rhyming but it adds to the story book feel.
  8. May 27, 2014
    A tight RPG with a beautiful art style, Child of Light is arguably the best digital-only game to grace the Wii U e-Shop as of 2014.

We play as Aurora, an Austrian princess who falls ill and wakes up in the picturesque world of Lemuria. The game follows Aurora's quest to get back to her duke father in Austria, while exploring the world, collecting items, gathering allies, and defeating dark beasts. It's the usual RPG fare fans of the genre are accustomed to, except from a sidescrolling perspective. The battle system is a fresh take on turn-based combat, incorporating elements of real-time strategy. It all works great, in no small part thanks to the breathtaking watercolor graphics and superb background music.

The story is a heart-warming coming-of-age tale, in which Aurora uncovers the mystery of her unexpected trip. It's well-crafted and filled with interesting characters. Fittingly for the game's overall mood, it's all told in the form of a big poem, with rhyming sentences. It's a great idea that is considerably held back by the bad quality of the overall writing, with more than a few awkward rhyming structures. The content is still appealing, but the form ends up sadly muddied.

Perhaps Child of Light's greatest triumph is its tightness. At around 15 hours, the game does away with much of the fluff that plagues some RPG titles, leaving only the strictly necessary for a memorable journey through a fantasy world. There's an extensive but easy to understand skill tree for each character as they level up, while actual equipment items give way to a simple yet deep gemstone-crafting system. It's true that the world of Lemuria could well support a more extensive quest, but the game is still a refreshing experience that can make a lasting impression (and comes for the budget price of $15, it's good to note).

Child of Light is proof that an AAA company like Ubisoft can deliver titles on a smaller scale and fill them with indie charm. More impressively, it's an arguably superior game than pretty much every recent offering by the company. If you're a fan of RPGs, or if you simply enjoy gorgeous sceneries to look at while embarking on a fantastic adventure, this is a must-have.

Rating: 9.0
  9. May 31, 2014
    Graphics, sound, presentation, the actual ability to use the WiiU controller... this game is an RPG masterpiece. This should be the norm. Not the exception. Oh, but what a beautiful exception.
  10. Jun 20, 2014
    Child of Light. I bought this for the 5th of a full-price game, but boy did it deliver. Ubisoft doesn't really cut my mustard these days, but this game was really refreshing. Nice graphics, original story, beautiful music and relatively okay controls makes this game a nice game-experience. The turn-based fighting could have been a little more intuitive but it works. It takes time to learnChild of Light. I bought this for the 5th of a full-price game, but boy did it deliver. Ubisoft doesn't really cut my mustard these days, but this game was really refreshing. Nice graphics, original story, beautiful music and relatively okay controls makes this game a nice game-experience. The turn-based fighting could have been a little more intuitive but it works. It takes time to learn tactics in some of the battles however, and the skill-system is somewhat hard to understand right away. Got a bit of collecting going on too and once you set into this the game gets a bit more interesting. Very few quests to do, but they are unlike many other games very different from each other, even though most of them involves locating places. Thumb up for this one Ubisoft, but this is the only one you will get from me this year. You won't regret buying this one. Expand
  11. Jul 7, 2014
    This game is BEAUTIFUL. I usually don't play RPGs, but when I learned this one was by Ubisoft, I knew I had to check it out. And I'm glad I did! Firstly, the story is really emotional and in-depth. A very miniscule personal nitpick of mine is that the dialogue is in rhyme (this itself isn't the issue), but the A and C lines don't rhyme; only the B and D lines, which to me is kind ofThis game is BEAUTIFUL. I usually don't play RPGs, but when I learned this one was by Ubisoft, I knew I had to check it out. And I'm glad I did! Firstly, the story is really emotional and in-depth. A very miniscule personal nitpick of mine is that the dialogue is in rhyme (this itself isn't the issue), but the A and C lines don't rhyme; only the B and D lines, which to me is kind of distracting, but does not in any way hinder my experience at all. The characters are really enjoyable, and the art style? GORGEOUS. Seeing as Ubisoft used Ubiart Framework, the same program they used for both Rayman Origins and Legends, it goes without saying this game is aesthetically wonderful. The soundtrack is so heavenly; it matches the moods of the different areas you explore very nicely, and I LOVE the main theme. The gameplay is really awesome as well; they stuck with 2D sidescrolling like Rayman Origins/Legends, and it's fun to explore around. The combat system is really neat too; coming up with strategies for defeating various bosses and enemies, as with any RPG, is cool and intense. All in all, this game is great, and I'd recommend it to anybody! Expand
  12. Jul 15, 2014
    I generally agree with the positive reviews for Child of Light but I would add one gripe; the dialogue and it's sometimes nonsensical adherence to the need to rhyme. The characters and story are well done and hold your interest but there are many times when the dialogue bogged down to rabidly tapping the button to advance to the next line. Because of the writer's intent to makeI generally agree with the positive reviews for Child of Light but I would add one gripe; the dialogue and it's sometimes nonsensical adherence to the need to rhyme. The characters and story are well done and hold your interest but there are many times when the dialogue bogged down to rabidly tapping the button to advance to the next line. Because of the writer's intent to make everything rhyme, there are odd pauses and strange phrasing in the word play between characters. While initially amusing it becomes tiresome after awhile. It 's a beautiful game and the fight dynamics are a lot of fun with timing and resource management adding to the challenge. I would definitely recommend it, but beware that the dialogue writer goes unchecked and a good editor would have removed a lot of the verbal clutter. Expand
  13. Jul 17, 2014
    ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! First game I was able to play with my six year old where we took turns being the support character. She would hand me the controller for difficult Big Boss battles, but for she got to do most of the exploring. And the art is breathtaking. AND No tutorials needed... just go and explore.
  14. Sep 7, 2014
    I had no idea what to expect from this game, it was on my sister's request that I bought it. However, I was hooked right when I saw the title screen.
    The game has an undeniable atmosphere with stunning watercolor graphics and beautiful soundtrack.
    The story is built up by fairytale elements, yet it is done with originality. The gameplay was fluent, quick turns felt smooth even when
    The story is built up by fairytale elements, yet it is done with originality.
    The gameplay was fluent, quick turns felt smooth even when going in higher speeds (although it is not recommended in the most narrow paths). Controlling both the main character and her firefly-companion could be challenging at times, but never really difficult. Speaking of the firefly, he was used in a lot of clever light-puzzles, and in the battle system as a real-time supporting character.
    The battle system in itself was introduced to you with perfect pacing. It reached higher complexity as the game progressed, calling for some strategical thinking.
    Playing it on the WiiU was especially appealing to me, since I could just switch to the gamepad and play it as a handheld. It felt even more immersive to me then.
    All in all, I'd recommend this game to both casual and serious gamers as a relaxing and immersive experience.
  15. Oct 11, 2014
    Cute little fascinating game that is suitable for everyone, gamers or not. It gives a nice fantasy feel of the game and the story is interesting which makes it addicting. (^ω^)
  16. Oct 27, 2014
    Child of Light doesn't do anything outstanding, it's very conservative to be fair, the RPG combat remains the same throughout the 15 hour game. There's an important lack of side quest missions, weak upgrading, a cliché and unsatisfying story, and a horrible narrative. However, the art style, which resembles Romanticism and Impressionism from the 18th century, as well of gorgeous music saveChild of Light doesn't do anything outstanding, it's very conservative to be fair, the RPG combat remains the same throughout the 15 hour game. There's an important lack of side quest missions, weak upgrading, a cliché and unsatisfying story, and a horrible narrative. However, the art style, which resembles Romanticism and Impressionism from the 18th century, as well of gorgeous music save it from disaster. Those two things alone deserve a fifteen dollar purchase. Expand
  17. Dec 29, 2014
    Simply amazing! Its a perfect example to say that you don't need ultra HD graphics to make an amazing game experience. The only reason a gave a 9 instead of a 10 its for the short it was.
  18. Jan 8, 2015
    An absolutely astounding game, especially for its price tag. Child of Light is a mix of RPG and 2D Platformers, and the blend works very well. It takes influences from series such as Final Fantasy and Zelda, and then blends it all together with a charming fairytale atmosphere. The result is a game that feels simultaneously familiar, yet also innovative in subtle and key ways. GameplayAn absolutely astounding game, especially for its price tag. Child of Light is a mix of RPG and 2D Platformers, and the blend works very well. It takes influences from series such as Final Fantasy and Zelda, and then blends it all together with a charming fairytale atmosphere. The result is a game that feels simultaneously familiar, yet also innovative in subtle and key ways. Gameplay wise, it's a brilliant title from start to finish.

In particular, I was surprised by how deep the battle system was. It feels very much like the classic Final Fantasy ATB, but the focus on interruptions and dynamic cast times makes winning a difficult fight in the game exhilarating. Ubisoft did an excellent job providing the player with lots of options in terms of characters and roles. There's also an "oculi" system, a light relic/materia system in a sense. The result is a highly satisfying amount of customization. It's never overwhelming, and for a $15 game, it completely exceeded my expectations.

The title's graphics and music are a delight. The Ubiart engine does an amazing job of brining the world of lemuria to life, and the soundtrack is a beautiful mix of violin and piano. This is definitely a title in which you'll stop playing for awhile just to take in the magnificence of the atmosphere created.

Overall, I can't recommend child of light enough, it's definitely one of the best titles on the eshop right now.
  19. Jan 19, 2015
    Fresh new mechanics, aw inspiring theme, and beautiful artwork. This game is pretty flawless and fun to play. If you want a turn based RPG, Child of Light brings innovation to the genre itself.
  20. Jan 21, 2015
    Awesome game. Simply a delight to play. Simple but funny battle system and progression of characters. Nice atmosphere and great music to wrap it all. Definitely recommended. :)
  21. Apr 18, 2015
    From the engine that birthed the brilliant Rayman Legends comes yet another Ubisoft marvel. And its name is Child of Light. This game is just beautiful. The somewhat playful art style contrasts heavily with its dark undertones, making Lemuria a very intriguing place to explore. The battle system is quite standard in being turn-based and having a timeline, but is made a little more uniqueFrom the engine that birthed the brilliant Rayman Legends comes yet another Ubisoft marvel. And its name is Child of Light. This game is just beautiful. The somewhat playful art style contrasts heavily with its dark undertones, making Lemuria a very intriguing place to explore. The battle system is quite standard in being turn-based and having a timeline, but is made a little more unique by the fact that you are able to interrupt enemies that are preparing attacks. You can also use Igniculus - your guardian firefly friend - to heal your party in between turns. In terms of difficulty, Normal mode is actually really easy, even without upgrading. However, it does take a steep turn later on in the game. If you're upgrading your party at a consistent rate, you probably won't notice such a large spike in difficulty. The music is amazing and reminds me a little bit of the sounds from Knytt Underground at times, which I absolutely adore. Lastly, the rhyming dialogue gives this game a lot of great charm - even if they like to change the pronunciation of the word "again" every so often. Overall, Child of Light deserves a solid 9 out of 10. Had a blast playing it, listening to the music, reading all of its quirky rhymes, and whacking around some very frightful monsters. Much enjoyed! Expand
  22. Aug 21, 2015
    I did not enjoy this at all, after looking forward to it for ages. And I feel bad for disliking it, because the art is gorgeous, and the world is indeed very compelling. But the turn-based battles just seemed so disruptive and abrupt and painful after the beautiful flow of exploring that I was immediately turned off and frustrated. I'm not sure how anyone finds it fun to stand thereI did not enjoy this at all, after looking forward to it for ages. And I feel bad for disliking it, because the art is gorgeous, and the world is indeed very compelling. But the turn-based battles just seemed so disruptive and abrupt and painful after the beautiful flow of exploring that I was immediately turned off and frustrated. I'm not sure how anyone finds it fun to stand there waiting for an enemy to attack you while you do nothing. Yet everyone seems to love the game...I'm mystified. Expand
  23. Aug 28, 2015
    Obra maestra, yo esperaba un buen juego con un arte y tranquilidad, pero me sorprendo con una historia interesante y fascinante que con el pasar del juego se pone cada vez más interesante, claro. En la plataforma Wii U habría quedado bien darle más funciones al GamePad para otro juego con gameplay único en Wii U, pero da igual, ya quedó y quedó, pero no hay duda de la forma del juego.
  24. Aug 29, 2015
    Child of Light... is. It is a video game. It has gameplay. It has a story. It doesn't do a lot poorly but the interesting things it does don't push the game that far out of the middle ground after the game undermines its own fun pieces. A few days out of finishing it, I don't have a lot more than a vague recollection of having played it to completion and the notes I took during that time.Child of Light... is. It is a video game. It has gameplay. It has a story. It doesn't do a lot poorly but the interesting things it does don't push the game that far out of the middle ground after the game undermines its own fun pieces. A few days out of finishing it, I don't have a lot more than a vague recollection of having played it to completion and the notes I took during that time.
    Easily the best part of the game is that it has a version of the Grandia battle system, which is by far my favorite way to do combat in a turn-based game, but you have the power to manipulate the enemy's speed on the timeline using a sprite ally. In Grandia, you could slightly delay or knockback enemies on the timeline, but you can't do that here, so you don't get the ability to juggle enemies between allies. Part of the fun of Grandia was that once your characters got strong enough and you as the player got good enough, you could manage the timeline so well that not even the final boss could get an attack off. CoL doesn't have that same feeling and managing the timeline through the manipulation your sprite ally gives you is tedious and feels more artificial. This is also the biggest place that the game shoots itself in the foot because bosses quickly gain the ability to hit you with massive stat debuffs or heal themselves if you interrupt them on the timeline. It's basically the game's way of punishing you for engaging in its best system. The game also doesn't remember your cursor position between turns, leading to some blown opportunities and wasted turns if you forget to scroll back to your previous attack. You level up quickly, which is nice, but the regular battles feel like time wasters. You can heal for free between fights with a meter that refills over time, so if you do well, it just saves you from having to stand around while the meter fills, but if you do poorly, just stand still and you'll be back at full health. That means that only boss fights have anything at stake or a feeling of urgency, but the game puts a lot of small fights along the way. I'm always in favor of lower frequency but more meaningful combat, especially when there's nothing driving the need for a lot of little fights. There's also an oddly long delay between when you collect an item and when it shows up in your inventory, but if you get into a battle during that in-between time, the item won't go into your bag and it disappears from the map. The trick is that the item respawned on the map, but it's now invisible so you have to collect this invisible item again to actually get it.
    While the battle system is fun but with problems, the story just goes nowhere. The characters speak in poetry and in a way that hurts the game. It's a terrible way to get expositional dialogue across and it feels so overwrought. Some of the rhymes are so forced that it detracts from what's actually being said as you focus on how bad the poetry is. The story has some good moments in it though. There's one character that joins your party to impress a lady and win her heart, you complete said quest, return to town, and she immediately shoots him down for being so shallow that he thought she would fall in love with him for completing a quest. That's a nice little bit I appreciated. For every small moment that's nice, the game completely undermines its main story. There's a big moment where you say goodbye to your friends and then the next room has a chest only your ally can open, so you immediately know you're going to get them back and it makes you suspicious of another character, who two minutes later double crosses you. So the game destroys its own emotional moment and big twist for the sake of an item chest. There are hints about more story than you actually get but it doesn't go anywhere. The whole final sequence is horribly rushed. You go from fighting a boss, you beat it, get your rewards and level up and get your skill points, and then there's a story sequence and you're immediately thrust into the final battle without even being allowed to use the skill points you just earned. Unless there were major revelations in the few collectibles I missed, it ends in a disappointing manner. Also, stop burying your story in missable collectibles. Do you want me to care about your game and its story or not? A big problem with all this is that without a deeper meaning to the story, the plot boils down to: light is always good, dark is always evil, and all step-parents are horrific monsters that will commit genocide just because and probably kick puppies.
    I neither disliked nor liked Child of Light. It was on sale, it reminded me that Grandia 2 is awesome, and it entertained me in a manner for a few hours. Perhaps the biggest disappointment is just that it feels like it could be so much more than time filler.
  25. Sep 2, 2015
    Child of Light has beautiful graphics and some good challenges. I was disappointed with the repetitive nature of the combat and after persevering for a while got tired of the same shtick with each combat.
  26. Oct 26, 2015
    A charming game, with a unique ambience and beautiful graphics. Although the gameplay is pretty straightforward and the linear story not particularly captivating, it remains a refreshing experience thanks to its fun characters, its great soundtrack, and this little something that can't be described but somehow makes you keep playing long after you had initially planned to stop, justA charming game, with a unique ambience and beautiful graphics. Although the gameplay is pretty straightforward and the linear story not particularly captivating, it remains a refreshing experience thanks to its fun characters, its great soundtrack, and this little something that can't be described but somehow makes you keep playing long after you had initially planned to stop, just because you always want to see more... It's a game you can't miss! Expand
  27. Nov 26, 2015
    + Gorgeous art style,
    + Rewarding combat system
    +The soundtrack is melancholy yet beautiful
    +A good fairy tail story with likable characters

-Too short
    -Skill trees and crafting are flawed
  28. Dec 5, 2015
    Child of Light is a beautifully artistic game that I enjoyed immensely. The story, music, characters, theme and creative environments make the game a wonderful experience. The game was short and not very challenging but for the price is a must buy for those who appreciate creative stories, writing, music and visuals.
  29. Apr 15, 2016
    Muy buena Historia, entrañables personajes y la manera en que adaptaron los diálogos en verso al Español es algo para aplaudirles... Muy recomendable...
  30. May 3, 2014

1. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Jun 29, 2014
    An aesthetically pleasing wonder for the eShop. It might be a short game, but it's definitely worth the asking price. [July 2014, p.82]
  2. May 29, 2014
    Child of Light is an artist's RPG through and through. Combat is more thoughtful than intimidating, the story is at once archetypal and clever, and the game's visual and auditory flare is truly something to behold.
  3. May 28, 2014
    Child of Light is nothing short of a delight of appealing mechanics and marvelous artistic component, set to enchant those looking for a charming RPG. Its storylines could use some additional development, as well as more tasks outside the plot’s line, but this remains a solid choice.