8.9

1. Nov 2, 2016
    Graphics: 9.5 Sound: 9.0 Gameplay: 9.0 Fun/Story: 9.0

Retro studios at its best: great level design, nice gameplay and technical execution and finally: very fun. This game plays really well and is very addicted.
  2. Oct 1, 2016
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is Nintendo platforming at its best. The levels and characters are colorful and beautiful, the controls are tight and intuitive, and the gameplay is consistently engaging. Donkey Kong is a good deal more difficult than the Mario titles, which may be a welcome challenge for Nintendo loyalists.
  3. Sep 27, 2016
    I don't understand why there are some people complaining about the level design, as it is excellent and inventive, far more than a Mario game; just as it was in Returns. Each level feels unique and I can remember each one well despite having only played through the game once. Though not as hard as Returns, it is still a challenge, and ideal for expert players who are bored of Mario gamesI don't understand why there are some people complaining about the level design, as it is excellent and inventive, far more than a Mario game; just as it was in Returns. Each level feels unique and I can remember each one well despite having only played through the game once. Though not as hard as Returns, it is still a challenge, and ideal for expert players who are bored of Mario games that are increasingly aimed at more inexperienced players. The soundtrack is beautiful and gives the levels even more of an atmosphere; the graphics are great as well, with nuances hidden in the background for those who want to find them. The boss battles are varied, offering good challenge and length, with most bosses taking 9 hits instead of the usual 3.
    This game is amazing and is by far the best platformer on the Wii U, well clear of the Mario games available, and I would reccomend it to any player of any ability.

Rating: 9.3
  4. Sep 12, 2016
    Simply one of the best platformers ever created. Beautiful additions from Donkey Kong Country Returns, not to mention everything that came back. The graphics are wonderful, and the music is out of this world. An absolute must for Wii U owners. A perfect addition to the series.
  5. Sep 6, 2016
    Old-school Donkey Kong is BACK, BABY!

This game feels exactly like the old Donkey Kong games on the Super Nintendo. And that's a good thing, because those classic 2D platformers were great. Great level design. Secrets everywhere -- it's pretty hard to get all the puzzle pieces and spell out K-O-N-G in a single playthrough of a level you haven't seen before. Every island has its
    Old-school Donkey Kong is BACK, BABY!

Great level design. Secrets everywhere -- it's pretty hard to get all the puzzle pieces and spell out K-O-N-G in a single playthrough of a level you haven't seen before. Every island has its own aesthetic, and every level its own gimmick. (Unlike Super Mario 3D World, where every level had its own gimmick, but the worlds didn't have every level sharing the same aesthetic).

Everything is beautiful. Super, super beautiful.

The reason for my mixed review score?
    It's just not quite as fun as my other games. I'm only on the 3rd island but haven't put the game back into the slot because all my other games are more fun, including some older Wii games.

Also, the load times are ridiculously, inappropriately long. I suppose that's the biggest thing that turns me off from the game -- knowing that I'll be waiting a full minute or two between each level. The load times are worse than they are for Mighty No. 9, which was pretty bad on load times.
  6. Aug 18, 2016
    why they make diddy kong useless why they make diddy kong useless why they make diddy kong useless why they make diddy kong useless why they make diddy kong useless
  7. Aug 9, 2016
    I rarely have the time to play a game as long as I want, but Tropical Freeze is simply this good that I played it beyond 100% which does not happen often, because many games don't motivate me like this and there is enough other stuff I could play in my little free time.
  8. Aug 2, 2016
    I think the gameplay is still not getting stall cause every game had almost exactly the same gameplay but the game is still 100% enjoyable and entertaining.
  9. Jul 31, 2016
    Sorprendentemente bueno, el peso del juego se funde en el control Pro, excelente visualmente y la música es suprema. Muy superior a la primera entrega de wii. Dificultad exquisita que me recuerda a los mejores Donkey Kong Country.
  10. Jun 12, 2016
    i know this is a bit late, but here goes nothing ...

DKC Tropical Freeze is single handedly the best 2D platformer game that I've ever played !
    Amazing graphics, amazing level design, + probably the best soundtrack I've heard for a video game in a long time ! just get this game .
  11. Jun 5, 2016
    I was a huge fan of DKCR and I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't. The load times, as others have said, is bad, but they would be tolerable if the rest of the game ran smoothly--it doesn't. Controls feel heavy and unresponsive. Action-intensive areas are laggy. The visuals themselves are stunning, but unfortunately I think the Wii U is just not up to the task ofI was a huge fan of DKCR and I really wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't. The load times, as others have said, is bad, but they would be tolerable if the rest of the game ran smoothly--it doesn't. Controls feel heavy and unresponsive. Action-intensive areas are laggy. The visuals themselves are stunning, but unfortunately I think the Wii U is just not up to the task of rendering them smoothly.

I tried to get into this game 3 times but couldn't get over how muddy it feels. Perhaps if they port it to the NX, I'll give it another shot. But my other concern is the poor level design. Levels were much too long with too much emphasis on exploration that leads nowhere (e.g. water areas where you just collect bananas). But maybe with the bump in gameplay speed/lack of lag will make it feel better. Just can't recommend this game and regret purchasing at full retail.
  12. May 16, 2016
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. Awesome levels and really fun bosses. The graphics are pretty cool and overall this game is a must-have for everyone who owes a WiiU.
  13. Apr 4, 2016
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, oh boy, this game is great, there is nothing more to say.

STORY: While DK is celebrating his birthday, some penguins that are Vikings decide to conquer DK island by summoning a giant ice dragon that comes out of a....umm...instrument that i can't remember the name, but i think is a horn, and the the kong are sent flying to the sky. Then the ship of the penguins fly to position themselves on top of the mountain and freeze the entire mountain.....ok the story is ridiculous but in a game like this you should not expect an epic story so let's go the presentation.

PRESENTATION: Colorful, well animated, great environments, 60fps, 1080p, fantastic music. Need i say more?

GAMEPLAY: DKCTF plays like your typical DKC game, you can jump, roll, run, pick up things, etc, but now unlike in returns you get to pick between Dixie Kong, Cranky and diddy to have as your buddy along the adventure, but you still can't play as them unless you are playing multiplayer or hard mode. Each of this kong buddy's offer some new things to the table, diddy can let you hover for a bit, dixie gives you extra time in the air and Cranky can use his stick to bounce in pretty much everything, but to be honest no one but dixie is important, believe me when you play this game, you can tell that Dixie is BROKEN.

The level design is top notch, unlike games like kirby or new super mario bros, where you can feel that the levels are created artificially with blocks (which is not a bad thing, i mean it works, but...), every level in this game feels natural and it nevers let's you say "why is this here?", the environments are great and have such an atmosphere that is just sooooo good and every level has 2 type of collectables that you can find in bonus rooms or in the level itself, first we have the puzzle pieces which can unlock concept art and the letters K, O, N, G, which if you collect in every world, you can unlock super hard levels.

There are also some sections of minecarts and rockets that are actually pretty fun to play and not tediously frustrating.

One thing that is a let down are animal buddies, once again only rambi returns as a playable buddy, and that is pretty sad. Oh and another thing that this game does great are the bosses, all of them are super fun to fight and when you beat you can give the a BANAAAAA SLAMA!!!.

Overall this game is the best 2D platformer the Wii U, the music is great, the bosses are great, the levels are great, the graphics are great, and it's just a blast to play, tho this game is not for casuals, since this game is pretty freaking difficult, but if you like a good challenge then this game has you covered, with that said i'll give this game a 10/10
  14. Apr 4, 2016
    Old school gaming? Yes DK have that feeling that I remember when I first play DK Country on my SNES, challenging, with great graphics and lovely puzzles, DK is not for beginners, and if you are you might have some patience to finish this game, tons of secrets to discover and the real challenge is to accomplish game with 100% of goals and now is on Nintendo Classics so is cheaper!
  15. Apr 1, 2016
    Even after long load times and Cranky being almost useless compared to Diddy and Dixie the level design is still top notch... but the difficulty is so high its a complaint
  16. Mar 8, 2016
    Tropical Freeze is a perfect everyday example of taking something great from before and making it better with another installment. In this case, this Donkey Kong Country franchise just keeps getting better.
  17. Feb 14, 2016
    I played every donkey kong jump n run on the planet but this one is the best. Its not only the best Donkey Kong i dare to say its the best 2,5D jump n run out there.
    its almost unbelivable how much love retro studios and nintendo putted into that game. Its so full of little details like animations in the Background or enemies that bounce with the sound of the music and so on.
    everyone
    everyone who loves jump n runs or like extremly polished and artwise high quality games, needs to play this game.
  18. Jan 25, 2016
    I did not want another side scrolling platformer for the Wii U but it was hard to hold onto that complaint when Retro delivered one of the best entries in the genre of all time. I've been gaming since the 80s and there's very little that can compare to the polish, challenge, and fun of Tropical Freeze. It's one of the greats with incredible level design that makes each stage feel like aI did not want another side scrolling platformer for the Wii U but it was hard to hold onto that complaint when Retro delivered one of the best entries in the genre of all time. I've been gaming since the 80s and there's very little that can compare to the polish, challenge, and fun of Tropical Freeze. It's one of the greats with incredible level design that makes each stage feel like a character in and of itself, extreme difficulty that rarely feels cheap, an amazing soundtrack that develops with the level, and an experience that's equally fun in co-op or single player. There are only a few downsides that hold this back - I found a couple of the bosses to be unbalanced (especially the blow fish) and the loading times make it feel like the system is struggling with the weight of this title. Expand
  19. Dec 14, 2015
    Solid gameplay is here with some challenging but always fair levels. Lots of unlockable content is also a plus. I'm sure fans of the series would have loved to have seen the Kremlings and K. Rool instead of the new ice nomads, but all things considered, the game is a worthy successor of the DK series.
  20. Nov 28, 2015
    Amazing Platformer, just as great as Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii and 3DS). The graphics and visuals are amazing and great. DK, Dixie Kong, Diddy Kong, and for the first time as a playable character, Cranky Kong are all awesome playable characters with Unique Special Abilities. The level designs are awesome. The Bosses are okay, some are fun. The controls are good. Donkey Kong CountryAmazing Platformer, just as great as Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii and 3DS). The graphics and visuals are amazing and great. DK, Dixie Kong, Diddy Kong, and for the first time as a playable character, Cranky Kong are all awesome playable characters with Unique Special Abilities. The level designs are awesome. The Bosses are okay, some are fun. The controls are good. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is an amazing 2-D Platformer and you should totally buy it! Expand
  21. Nov 26, 2015
    + Great level design that challenging but fair
    + Funky Kong's shop is useful, especially for beginners
    + so many new ideas
    + the levels have amazing depth
    + Memorable boss fights
    + Local Co Op
    + Amazing soundtrack by David Wise

- No Online Co Op
  22. Nov 11, 2015
    Near platforming perfection, Tropical Freeze is both a fun throwback to the original DKC series on the Super Nintendo and a jump forward with its silky smooth HD graphics and excellent music design. Fantastic co-op mode make this the Wii U's most well-rounded and fun platformer to date.
  23. Oct 26, 2015
    1- El soundtrack es excelente ! muy nostálgico !
    2- Los niveles tiene una buena dificultad
    3- Las texturas son un arte
    4- Los gráficos estan muy bien
    Lo malo: me gustaría un mayor uso del gamepad, pero ta igual se lleva los 10
  24. Oct 1, 2015
    Tropical Freeze leans on the more difficult side of 2D platforming but I still had a great time playing it.

Great visuals. Excellent soundtrack. Lots to do and fun challenges.
  25. Sep 5, 2015

+ Level design

- Boss battles
    - Long levels
  26. Sep 3, 2015
    This game is heaps of fun. Going on the train ride is brilliant and exciting as you try to complete the level. You can focus too much on trying to collect all the bananas and puzzle pieces or just try to finish the level. It is a highly polished game, however, the final boss battle is extremely tough. Perhaps too hard.
  27. Aug 30, 2015
    This game my wife and I have really enjoyed. The levels are great and the game is challenging. Gameplay is wonderful. It is what I expect from a 2d platformer.
  28. Aug 20, 2015
    Juego de plataforma de lo mas colorido y dificultoso que hay , me lo pase en 16 hs. No es un juego para niños como dice la e-shop de nintendo, es bastante dificil, podria venir con la opción de bajar la dificultad para los más pequeños. La historia es muy básica y las cinemáticas son pocas aún asi es un muy buen juego plataformero.
  29. Jul 19, 2015
    One of the best platformer on the market: meant for the hardcore player. You will die..A LOT. You will have a lot of fun on the way. One of the strange bit of optimization though: when you play on on the TV screen, your gamepad '2nd screen' litterally turn itself off (?). How can you justify the second screen when one of your flagship game is not using it. One of Wii U's best game thatOne of the best platformer on the market: meant for the hardcore player. You will die..A LOT. You will have a lot of fun on the way. One of the strange bit of optimization though: when you play on on the TV screen, your gamepad '2nd screen' litterally turn itself off (?). How can you justify the second screen when one of your flagship game is not using it. One of Wii U's best game that completely provides the worst justification for its biggest accessory / gimmick. Expand
  30. Jul 18, 2015
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a brilliant platform game for Wii U. The game is really funny and have a brilliant level and character design. In my opinion is the best chapter since Donkey Kong Country 2 for SNES.
  31. Jul 18, 2015
    DKCTP is visual masterpiece and makes for another fantastic installment for the series. It retains it's tough-as-nails gameplay that is frustrating but incredibly rewarding. The addition of Cranky and Dixies along Diddy is a very touch too.
    DKCTP may also have one of the best soundtracks for a game in a very long time.
  32. Jun 30, 2015
    A Beautiful game that is as entertaining to watch as it is to play. It is both very challenging and fun. One of the best platformers I've played in years. The Unique Co-op play is a blast and the music and unique level design is as beautiful and fun as it is challenging and Intense. If you own a Wii U you need this game in your library!
  33. Jun 5, 2015
    The best platform game I've ever played. Astonishing intensity gameplay, very beautuful music and quite much colorfull graphics. I've completed it and have had a lot of fun. One of my favourite games.
  34. May 31, 2015
    retro estudios sabe como trabajar y lo a demostrado en estos ultimos años, donkey kong tropical freeze es el mejor plataformas 2d de wiiu gran dificultad y excelente musica del gran david wise, niveles muy inspirados, jugabilidad excelente, donkey kong tropical freeze es la perfeccion de plataformas, hacerse con el 100% del juego es un desafio el mayor de wiiu, los niveles me hicieronretro estudios sabe como trabajar y lo a demostrado en estos ultimos años, donkey kong tropical freeze es el mejor plataformas 2d de wiiu gran dificultad y excelente musica del gran david wise, niveles muy inspirados, jugabilidad excelente, donkey kong tropical freeze es la perfeccion de plataformas, hacerse con el 100% del juego es un desafio el mayor de wiiu, los niveles me hicieron mas de una ves querer lanzar el gamepad lejos, lo que si me parecio un poco corto y alguno que otros niveles un poco parecidos a return, el hd le pinta genial al mono de nintendo, eso si ya es hora de ver al simio en una aventura 3d esperemos que asi sea, vamos retro estudios, sigue dandonos grandes alegrias juego impresindible para todos los que posean una wiiu Expand
  35. May 21, 2015
    You cannot ask for a greater platformer, this along rayman legends and new super mario bros wii u will keep you busy for a while until the next masterpieces comes.

Be warned this game IS NOT FOR KIDS, at least the little ones, been playing for 3 decades and this game was certainly a challenge, no talk about getting all the secrets! Great music, sometimes chilled, sometimes rocking,

Great music, sometimes chilled, sometimes rocking, amazing visuals, the whole game is a trip and the dynamic changes in the camera are just perfect to keep the 2d platforming from being boring.

Level design is good never repetitive, and the bosses are the best part of the game, again loved how hard this game is, wasnt expecting such a challenge from a game with infant themes.

100% recommended.
  36. May 20, 2015
    Typical game in which you shouldn't listen to Critics Reviews.

Its only downfall when compared to Returns is that it only has 6 worlds instead of 8. But it is just as long. Other than that, it's a better game in every possible way. It has more Kongs to be explored, better enemy's design, more variety in the islands style, more precise (since it doesn't use stupid motion controls).
    Typical game in which you shouldn't listen to Critics Reviews.

Other than that, it's a better game in every possible way. It has more Kongs to be explored, better enemy's design, more variety in the islands style, more precise (since it doesn't use stupid motion controls). Really, it's a masterpiece.
  37. May 18, 2015
    THIS should be a system seller!!! One of the best games ive ever played. Unique, very difficult, wonderful, a true challenge und a fun machine at its best! Perfect in every Pixel - Yes, i love this game and iam not easy to persuade.
  38. May 2, 2015
    An excellent, tight, yet challenging game with a fair bit of content in it, any fan of the genre with a Wii U has no reason not to pick it up. There are plenty of collectibles, some absolutely beautiful art and environments, and even a competitive time trail mode. The game may have a few frusrating segments scattered about it, but this is a game which is challenging rather than difficult,An excellent, tight, yet challenging game with a fair bit of content in it, any fan of the genre with a Wii U has no reason not to pick it up. There are plenty of collectibles, some absolutely beautiful art and environments, and even a competitive time trail mode. The game may have a few frusrating segments scattered about it, but this is a game which is challenging rather than difficult, and I found that without buying any items, I only ran out of lives twice. Expand
  39. Apr 13, 2015
    I was hesitant to buy this game because Donkey Kong himself freaks me out. However, once I got passed my cowardice, this is one of my favorite 2-D platformers. So much attention to detail in the ultimately simple aesthetic and the gameplay feels really tight. Donkey Kong moves like a boulder, and it really works with the great level design. The game also has the right amount of difficultyI was hesitant to buy this game because Donkey Kong himself freaks me out. However, once I got passed my cowardice, this is one of my favorite 2-D platformers. So much attention to detail in the ultimately simple aesthetic and the gameplay feels really tight. Donkey Kong moves like a boulder, and it really works with the great level design. The game also has the right amount of difficulty for someone like me. I absolutely love the boss battles and some of the main levels are so frantic and fast it feels epic to beat them on the first try. I especially like how forgiving the game can be if you fail too many times, as the game practically throws extra lives at you. If you were hesitant like me, just go on a limb and try it out. I'm really confident that you won't regret it. Expand
  40. Apr 3, 2015
    I've played this game a lot, and am enjoying it less every time I play it. Their idea of 'challenging' is deliberately killing DK in ways that nobody could possibly see coming over and over again. This means that all we do as the player is memorise their surprise death moves and avoid them, over and over again. If I think about tough platformers that I enjoy there are always theseI've played this game a lot, and am enjoying it less every time I play it. Their idea of 'challenging' is deliberately killing DK in ways that nobody could possibly see coming over and over again. This means that all we do as the player is memorise their surprise death moves and avoid them, over and over again. If I think about tough platformers that I enjoy there are always these impossible moments that I somehow got first time. These were the exceptions, but I kept on playing for those moments. This game isn't satisfyingly tough, it's just annoying. I cannot stand how heavy and unresponsive DK is and really I just wish I'd never bought this game. Not fun. Cannot recommend. Expand
  41. Mar 24, 2015
    The platforming was terrible. I stopped having fun so I stopped playing the game. But the visuals are good and the sound is ok. There is no story at all which is partly why I was not having fun.
  42. Mar 1, 2015
    Tropical Freeze does what it's Wii predecessor did, only better. It looks gorgeous, and the soundtrack is one of my very favourites on the Wii U, if not ever. The gameplay is very tight and the characters are enjoyable to control, the lack of waggle controls is very welcome too and my only complaint in this department is the grabbing controls are a bit fiddly, particularly towards the endTropical Freeze does what it's Wii predecessor did, only better. It looks gorgeous, and the soundtrack is one of my very favourites on the Wii U, if not ever. The gameplay is very tight and the characters are enjoyable to control, the lack of waggle controls is very welcome too and my only complaint in this department is the grabbing controls are a bit fiddly, particularly towards the end of the game when things get more difficult and intense.

There's more than enough content here, just playing through the game took me over 10 hours and that was without collecting all the jigsaws and KONG letters, something which I probably won't be doing due to the sheer difficulty of the game as it is. If you were to collect all that stuff you're bound to be getting upwards of 20 hours of play from this thing.

The levels are very varied and well designed, and I'm a fan of how they're quite long too. Concepts and ideas are rarely repeated too much and things are broken up nicely with mine-kart, swimming, and rhino levels which are all great fun.

In terms of negatives I'd say the partner characters could have been a little different, and I found Dixie was your best bet most of the time meaning I generally just went with her. I'd also say that the bosses can be a little frustrating with them often being 10 or more minutes long and having no checkpoints. This did however give immense satisfaction when you did finally beat them! The game is perhaps a little too difficult in general (it's the hardest game I've played for a long time) although I enjoyed that it was challenging enough just to get to the end of the levels and you didn't have to collect everything to make the game challenging.

Overall this is a superb 2D platformer, and certainly one of the must-play titles for anyone with a Wii U, just prepare yourself for plenty of deaths, this one is NOT easy.
  43. Feb 28, 2015
    First of all, i didn't play any Donkey Kong game that has been released before Return. So basically, it was my first Donkey Kong Country and i loved it a lot already !
    And Tropical Freeze expands this love to a next level : everything Returns did is even better here.
    Some levels are not only beautiful but amazing, everything feels and there are only a rarely number of "not so great" levels and even these remain nice ones.
    I had done nearly everything you could do in Returns (except the Time attack mode) yet Tropical Freeze still brings new challenges and an enjoyable level of difficulty.
    This games just feels under-rated because it's "difficult" and that's clearly not fair when it's actually a master piece in terms of level design and gameplay !

To sum up, if you like 2D plateformers, if you loved Donkey Kong Country or if you just want a great game (and are capable to accept dying not so casually), i urge you to get Tropical Freeze !
  44. Feb 23, 2015
    This is the best game for the Wii U by far! It has pretty much everything you want in a platformer: solid level design, beautiful and detailed graphics, and an amazing soundtrack. It fixes pretty much everything that was wrong with Returns, and gives us new things like extra sidekick characters and new swimming mechanics. The design of each world is also worth noting. Most of them takeThis is the best game for the Wii U by far! It has pretty much everything you want in a platformer: solid level design, beautiful and detailed graphics, and an amazing soundtrack. It fixes pretty much everything that was wrong with Returns, and gives us new things like extra sidekick characters and new swimming mechanics. The design of each world is also worth noting. Most of them take themes that I have never seen in a 2D platformer before, from a world that looks like it was taken straight out of various European countries to a jungle that's also a fruit processing plant. David Wise has made music that perfectly fits the theme of every level, and very rarely (with Aquatic Ambience being an exception,) do these songs repeat. This is not just a clone of the Mario games. Tropical Freeze has a level of depth that Mario hasn't captured yet. People who didn't like it probably couldn't handle the difficulty. The difficulty escalates very quickly, but it just makes the game that much more fun for me. All in all, this is an amazing game that is reason enough for anyone to get a Wii U. Expand
  45. Feb 7, 2015
    Classic challenging platforming from the masters at Nintendo. Great same couch co-op game! More difficult than Rayman or Super Mario Bros, so be prepared!
  46. Jan 26, 2015
    Another 2D HD platforming adventure on the Wii U that doesn't take any particular advantage of the gamepad. But a nonetheless exceedingly fun game built on solid fundamentals and inspired gameplay touches.

My biggest gripe with "DKCReturns" were the boring boss battles. Thankfully, they are improved overall in this game (more fun, more challenging). But unlike that game there isn't enough new here. The unique visual palette of some levels (silhouetted), the rocket barrel, mine cart and rhino levels, and the chase sequences are all still here but aren't brought anywhere too uniquely new (except to the third dimension...yes sometimes you now head INTO the screen in these levels instead of just across). I wish more levels had the joyful exuberance and tactical musical precision of the first level of the third world (Grasslands Groove), but sadly that's the only one of its vein.

Also I hate ice.
  47. Jan 26, 2015
    Absolutely my favorite platformer of all time!

Pros:
    + Levels are just beautifully made
    + challenging
    + high replayable value
    + the Music!
    + collectables

Cons:
    - local multiplayer gets messy
  48. Jan 11, 2015
    Though I did like DKC Returns, I wasn't as big a fan of it as other people were. That's probably why Tropical Freeze, its sequel, completely blew me out of the water!

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has fantastic level design, perhaps the best I've ever seen in 2D platformer! Most of the levels are specifically suited for a single Kong partner (Diddy, Dixie, or Cranky) and it makes all of them unique. Add to the levels the equally fantastic soundtrack and it's pure platforming bliss. I'm pretty sure it doesn't get much better than this.

The addition of Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong as playable characters make the game much better. If Diddy was the only other one featured besides Donkey Kong, then it might have got a bit dull after a while. Dixie's easily the most best of the bunch. Funky Kong also appears in the game as the helpful item vendor. One of his shops can be found in all of the worlds and trust me, you'll be needing his items.

That's where the difficulty comes into play. Tropical Freeze can be incredibly difficult but it's never completely unfair. Deaths are always the fault of the player, not the game. Everytime you pass something challenging, there's no prize but for some reason, you always feel like you accomplished something! Bosses are perhaps one of the best parts of the game. Sure, they're hard, but they're all cleverly designed, just like the levels themselves!

Overall, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze definitely deserves a spot in your Wii U gaming library. It has fantastic level design, great bosses, an amazing soundtrack, and much more!
  49. Jan 3, 2015
    A great game with many new features. The background is very detailed and lush. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is also very innovative with how the background takes some part in the actual game. It is a perfect game for the Wii U.
  50. Dec 30, 2014
    Best platforming I have seen in 2014. Great graphics, pst, and level design. However, if they spent a little bit more time finalizing, the game would be near perfect.
  51. Dec 29, 2014
    Much better than DKCR the levels seem more diverse than before and the soundtrack is fantastic plus the bosses are more likable than in returns. Plus the game is still as hard as ever.
  52. Dec 29, 2014
    We are living in a new era of 2D platafformers and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze its one of the "Must Have" in this generation. A classic concept, with classic characters with a new face that makes a fresh experience. If you enjoyed the Wii version, you are going to love it!!
  53. Dec 15, 2014
    Tropical Freeze is, simply put, one of the best 2d platformers in years and the best game on the wii u by far. It takes the creativity of Returns and doubles it. Every level is memorable and has something unique about it. Even some of my lesser liked levels have something unique. Be it the design, visuals, music, or atmosphere. Speaking of atmosphere, that is something the game doesTropical Freeze is, simply put, one of the best 2d platformers in years and the best game on the wii u by far. It takes the creativity of Returns and doubles it. Every level is memorable and has something unique about it. Even some of my lesser liked levels have something unique. Be it the design, visuals, music, or atmosphere. Speaking of atmosphere, that is something the game does extremely well. Mountain, jungle, savannah, or sea is all presented with an atmosphere perfectly. One the best 2d platformers ever. Expand
  54. Dec 6, 2014
    In the world of repetitive and dry FPS games, it really is a breath of fresh air to play something so colorful and creative. Platformers are all in all, a simple concept, so to see Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze bring creative and colorful level design is great. This game is a challenge, yes, but the challenge is fair and each death is your own fault. If you're looking for a challenging andIn the world of repetitive and dry FPS games, it really is a breath of fresh air to play something so colorful and creative. Platformers are all in all, a simple concept, so to see Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze bring creative and colorful level design is great. This game is a challenge, yes, but the challenge is fair and each death is your own fault. If you're looking for a challenging and unique platformer for your Wii U, look no further than Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. Expand
  55. Dec 6, 2014
    An extremely beautiful game with great controls, fun & challenging an absolute must have for wii u owners. The game can get tough but never to the point that you want to stop playing, it's challenge makes you want to play more & more. Nintendo has great games & this might be on top of the list.
  56. Dec 3, 2014
    If you could ask 100% of DKC Classic fans what game they would want 0% of them would say something so amazing as DKCTF, or tropical freeze for the intimates.

This game, for me, is the game of the year, to summarize:

Good:

Each level feels unique
    So many collectibles
    High value of replay

Bad:

animal buddies :( (opportunity for the next installment)
  57. Dec 2, 2014
    The game was enjoyable but the difficulty seemed to rely too much on throwing new elements at you without explaining them. Earlier Donkey Kong titles didn't have the trial and error feel that this one had for me.
  58. Nov 26, 2014
    I feel like this game is under rated it is at least as good as 3D world. It is probably the best platformer of this gen
    Every level just feels so unique.
  59. Nov 25, 2014
    For those who've played the others in the series know that the plot of Donkey Kong Country was never very exquisite. The games in the series have always been based in rescuing the treasure of the Kong family, called "bananas", or, redeem and save some of the hands of K.Rool Kong. But this time, Retro Studios has a small innovated, since the plot is based on a certain invasion. Donkey KongFor those who've played the others in the series know that the plot of Donkey Kong Country was never very exquisite. The games in the series have always been based in rescuing the treasure of the Kong family, called "bananas", or, redeem and save some of the hands of K.Rool Kong. But this time, Retro Studios has a small innovated, since the plot is based on a certain invasion. Donkey Kong is celebrating his birthday happily with his grandfather Cranky Kong, Diddy Kong and his nephew to Diddy's girlfriend, hairy Dixie Kong. It is then time to blow out the candles, come to the fore the plot enemies, the fearsome Vikings. The intention of the evil here is to freeze the island of overalls and take possession of it, that objective is achieved without much effort. It is then that the Kong family to go through 6 different islands, to return to their place of duty, and thus recover what they had been taken.

I believe that we will be stoned by many here, but honestly something that bothered us much in Donkey Kong Country: Returns were some attributes of its gameplay. Have to shake the Wii Remote to blow seedlings and flowers was not quite sure what we expected. Without the Wii Remote as the main control, Retro Studios did a great job with the gameplay, improving absolutely everything that was presented in Returns. The distinctive gameplay that each Kong offers to join with our protagonist, does not allow at any time we feel certain sickness, or discomfort to control the characters, since in addition to intuitive, the gameplay is also very fun. And what then of the gameplay in aquatic stages? The Retro simply took a bath on any platform game, using gameplay so comfortable and delicious, certainly you will lose many minutes just swimming, and diving again

Another interesting point was the inclusion of dynamic camera that Retro implemented in this title. Play phases Minecart or even barrels are simply fantastic with the distinct view presented to us thanks to this function. Furthermore all, was added to the game a sort of "Power Combo" in which depending on the character that is on the back of Donkey Kong, by pressing the L and R buttons together with a full energy bar, enemies become items . If the character is controlling Diddy Kong, enemies become life balloons. If the player has on his back Dixie Kong, enemies become golden hearts. Already Cranky Kong, to use this function enemies turn into coins for use in stores.

The return of abandoned

Once again we have to point to the Retro. Unlike Returns where we can have only Diddy Kong as an auxiliary character, the developer brought us back to simplicity and sweetness of Dixie Kong. Donkey control with the aid of Dixie is just fantastic. Unlike the main trilogy of Rare, where the little monkey wearing her ponytail like a helicopter blade for various things, this time our friend serves as a boost to reach higher ground, or even to dose the speed and calculate certain precision every jump. In addition to Dixie and Diddy, Retro Studios renewed in bringing back the surly and dear Cranky Kong. But this time, not as a guide or seller, but as an aid player. Cranky Kong have on your back is not only fun, but also serves a lot of help at various times. Is to reach higher ground, or to walk on thorns, or even to shoot his dentures that stun the enemy.

Another remarkable comeback was the high overall astral Funky Kong. In the original trilogy, Funky always appears as a "lessor of aircraft", or even as a mechanic boats. But this time Funky returns as a salesman in a store with various aid items. Since balloons life until selectable characters. Simply a fantastic addition to the plot, killing the longing of nostalgic and presenting the Funky fun for beginners. The only negative point is in relation to animal friends. We are still trying to understand why the Retro have used again only Rambi phases and Squawks as a guide to indicate secrets phases. Among many animal friends really fun, and some that do not please everyone, I think you agree that at least Enguarde should have appeared.

absurd graphics

For those who criticizes both Nintendo and the Wii U for not presenting good graphics, 3D Super Mario World was a slap in the face on the left, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was another slap, but this time on the right. The richness in detail, the design of levels and above all, the characterization of each character make this one of the most beautiful of the new generation games. Another interesting point to be said is the graphics in the phases of water. Honestly, in our long history of platform games, we have not seen such a blessed water and a sea background as detailed as in that game. What then of the phases in which we see the characters as shadows? Simply an unforgettable art direction.

100%? 200%? good luck

Here we have one of the best game of qualities, and at the same time one of the major defects. Our dear patients, we ask you to carefully read this analysis to check their cons indications for this game. If you just want to finish the game, see the end credits and simply having fun, the game is essential for you. Now if you intend to accomplish all the challenges of the game, picking up all the KONG letters and all Puzzles Pieces, prepare to be frustrated, screaming, dying, try again, die again, and sometimes lose at least about 30 minutes in some phases. The Retro Studios put a difficulty that sometimes gets to be absurd in some situations. As stated above, do 100% of the game is practically an invitation to frustration. Parts in seemingly impossible places to get extremely hidden letters and absolutely full of traps levels are factors that can please too many, and too upsetting many in the same proportion. But for those who achieve the feat of achieving the 100% original, the game will give you the opportunity to play it again in Hard Mode, with one heart, no points to score phase and free choice of characters. Yes, for the nostalgic, this is simply epic, but why not introduce this form of game from the beginning? Here is our question.

The game also features a Time Attack in which the player can compare their achievements with players around the world, including being able to record your gambles and can watch the records of players worldwide. Otherwise, the player opens a new secret stage in each world, since even take all the KONG letters. Extremely challenging levels that sometimes come to frustrate even more, those players who want to do everything in the game. When finished in its entirety opens a seventh and final world with only 3 stages so that the player finally complete 100% the main campaign. However, like the other, prepare to be frustrated, die, die and die again. To complete, Retro Studios added again the local multiplayer, in which two players can choose the character you want and go facing the challenges of the game, together, phase by phase.

Very creative chefs

Sincere we are. For those who played the trilogy of Rare and enjoyed having to fight the Kremlings and its leader K.Rool was kind of frustrating playing Returns and come across enemies so poorly made and uninspired as the Tikis. The impression he gave was that the player was fighting macumbaria instruments, and against dangerous enemies. This time the Retro improved a lot, and even not bringing Kremlings loved back, at least in this time had enemies that do justice to the series, the Vikings. This time enemies are also animals, giving more emphasis on history and reminding us much more funny and different enemies who were Kremlings. And what about the leaders? Simply better than the other. Challenging and very well made, every battle against bosses is unique. From the first to the last boss, fight the leaders of each world is a thoroughly enjoyable and fun task.

David Wise

The addition of David Wise was a balcony and both Nintendo. It's unbelievable to see that even after so many years, the British composer, still has the "feeling" for the exact number. The music made exclusively for the new set of Kongs have the exact feeling of every moment that the player faces. The quality of the songs, along with the supreme level design make a perfect blend of sentiment, nostalgia and emotion. Simply without comment, and we can easily say that David Wise is one of, if not the greatest composer of games of all time, alongside legends like Koji Kondo Nobuo Uematsu and. Absolutely fantastic, epic and nostalgic.

The game that fans have been waiting

You know you is unconditional fan of the Donkey Kong Country series, do not think twice and just buy a Wii U to play this wonder, or buy the game if you have you own the console. The game is just amazing in everything that has, from the start, taking a bath excitement, challenge and beauty to the end of its projection. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze shut the media mouth, and shows once again that Nintendo is the goddess of platform games. For us is simply wanting more, why games like this are never enough. Long live the Donkey Kong Country series.
  60. Nov 24, 2014
    Un juego increíble, supero al de Wii, más personajes, niveles que enamoran, buena dificultad y un OST excelente, una obra maestra, gran variedad de niveles, cada escenario tiene vida propia, no sientes que se repite, gran variedad de enemigos y lo mejor no paras de reírte
  61. Nov 11, 2014
    PROS
    -Great graphics
    -3D outstanding details
    -fun gameplay
    -Plenty to do and learn

CONS
    -Tends to be a little boring on occasion
    -Frustrating on ocasion
  62. Nov 5, 2014
    Yet another great game from Retro! This game improves upon the Wii game in every aspect. Graphics, characters, sound, music, level design, and controls are spot on. This game is a challenge though. If you are easily frustrated from failing then this game may not be for you. If you are up to a challenge though, you will be rewarded with an excellent experience. The think the bestYet another great game from Retro! This game improves upon the Wii game in every aspect. Graphics, characters, sound, music, level design, and controls are spot on. This game is a challenge though. If you are easily frustrated from failing then this game may not be for you. If you are up to a challenge though, you will be rewarded with an excellent experience. The think the best thing about the game is the level design. There're challenging but never cheap. when you finish a level with all the collectibles you feel a great sense of accomplishment. One level that stands out is a Savannah like level where you're actually trapped in a tornado. You jump from one piece of debris to another piece of debris while being tossed through the storm. It's a very unique level and is only once example of the brilliantly design levels. Expand
  63. Sep 16, 2014
    If you felt New Super Mario Bros. U was too easy, this game is a must own. Everything from the level design, bosses and soundtrack are expertly crafted. Especially the soundtrack! David Wise (who also composed the music for the DKC games on SNES) has crafted an amazing soundtrack for the game. He still hasn't lost his touch.
  64. Sep 13, 2014
    This was the game I was most excited for at E3 2013. I waited anxiously for this to come out, and after two delays, I finally got it, and the wait was totally worth it. This game is just perfect. Fun and challenging gameplay, memorable music, (David Wise is back!) Gorgeous HD visuals, tons of replay value, this game has it all! Even when i saw almost all the levels on the internet, I wasThis was the game I was most excited for at E3 2013. I waited anxiously for this to come out, and after two delays, I finally got it, and the wait was totally worth it. This game is just perfect. Fun and challenging gameplay, memorable music, (David Wise is back!) Gorgeous HD visuals, tons of replay value, this game has it all! Even when i saw almost all the levels on the internet, I was still having fun every second I played. The story is genius, it's about DK and his friends getting kicked out of their island, and these arctic animals named the Snowmads take over their whole island and freeze it. That means there is new locations! Unlike the New Super Mario Bros series... The only two problems I have with this game is that the loading screens are a little longer than Returns, and there's no gamepad function, you can't even touch the gamepad screen to select anything. But overall, I had a blast playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and as a huge Donkey Kong fan, that makes me happy. If you have a Wii U, this game is a must-have on your collection! Expand
  65. Aug 24, 2014
    The story and graphics were cool, but I only got through 2 levels and then it started to get boring. The levels just weren't that fun for me. But that's just what I think.
  66. Aug 16, 2014
    Tropical Freeze is the true sequel to the original DKC games. The levels are very creative, the graphics are very crisp, and the bosses are perhaps the greatest bosses in any 2-d platformer EVER. The game also has some different levels, such as minecart, boat, barrel blasting, and swimming levels. Even though it's a 2-d game, some of the scenery is 3-d. You can even interact with theTropical Freeze is the true sequel to the original DKC games. The levels are very creative, the graphics are very crisp, and the bosses are perhaps the greatest bosses in any 2-d platformer EVER. The game also has some different levels, such as minecart, boat, barrel blasting, and swimming levels. Even though it's a 2-d game, some of the scenery is 3-d. You can even interact with the background in some levels. My only complaint about this game is that it's VERY VERY HARD. But it's more than worth it for this great game. Expand
  67. Aug 4, 2014
    This game just wasn't enjoyable to me. I didn't find it fun after the first few levels. Overcoming challenges was unsatisfying. Maybe you just have to play with another person?
  68. Jul 14, 2014
    Donkey Kong Country is a classic. Also Tropical Freeze is able to win a retro-gamer 's heart particularly with a innovative level design and a perfect difficulty. This game is my recommendation for all Jump N Run fans who wants a challenge at its finest.
  69. Jul 5, 2014
    ill start off by saying that the graphics are gorgeous , the gameplay is pretty similar to donkey kong returns , the game is just a fun 2D Platformer overall , the only DOWNSIDE is the Difficulty can be very frustrating at times , i recommend getting a Pro Controller , it works much better then the gamepad , also the game doesnt really use gamepad other then off screen play , but still aill start off by saying that the graphics are gorgeous , the gameplay is pretty similar to donkey kong returns , the game is just a fun 2D Platformer overall , the only DOWNSIDE is the Difficulty can be very frustrating at times , i recommend getting a Pro Controller , it works much better then the gamepad , also the game doesnt really use gamepad other then off screen play , but still a great Platformer Expand
  70. Jun 29, 2014
    This is what video games were meant to be. Entertainment found through challenge of skill-based gameplay, with flawless mechanics, top-tier soundtrack, gorgeous visuals, expertly crafted level design, creative and unique bosses, and incredible replay value through time trials video uploads.

I've loved Donkey Kong Country since I was a small child. And this game blows the breaks off its predecessors. Rare made a classic trilogy back in the 16-bit era, but the games fall incredibly short when compared to Retro's recent triumph. In fact, most games fall short of Tropical Freeze. I can't recommend this game enough. If you suck at video games, and like to be led through from start to finish with novice difficulty that makes you feel like a winner, this game is not for you. But if you are a real GAMER, and find entertainment through overcoming a challenge via practice, skill, and perfectly timed maneuvers, look no further. DKC Tropical Freeze is, at least in my opinion, the greatest 2D platformer I've ever played.
  71. Jun 25, 2014
    Very fun game but more for adults due to difficult stages. We got it for the kids but i ended up playing it the most, the kids found it a bit hard due to some of the more challenging rail stages that require almost perfect timing and in rapid succession. More suited for teenagers and older
  72. Jun 19, 2014
    This was my first Donkey Kong Country game and I was hooked instantly. Beautiful, well crafted levels and bosses set to fantastic music. Nintendo may be struggling with the Wii U but their games themselves are as creative and fun as ever.
  73. Jun 9, 2014
    The best wii u game to date. it is a must have and a system seller. the gameplay is great. the difficulty is perfect. the only thing that i can think of that is wrong with the game is the lack of a good menu setup. nintendo has always had a problem with their menus and it is a thing that needs to be fixed.
  74. Jun 1, 2014
    Really fabulous game, very challenging. Amazing graphics, soundtrack is gorgeous! Game play is literally outstanding, I can't get enough of this game... not sure why so many people are hating on it - perhaps it's too hard for them :P haha.
  75. May 26, 2014
    Some of my favorite childhood memories were from playing the old donkey kong country games at my babysitters house. It was amazing and when I saw the trailer for this, I was pretty hyped.

I never played returns so I will not be mentioning it at all in this review. Anyways the game is simply fantastic. Let me start the review by talking about the soundtrack and... HALLELUJAH IT'S AMAZING. I love the atmospheric songs david wise conducts and each song fits perfectly with mostly all the levels. This has to be one of the finest soundtracks for a video game ever made.

Controlling Donkey Kong and the gang felt really great. The controls are pretty simple while feeling unique from other platformers. From every roll to jump, it was your fault if you goofed up in a level. The smooth controls allowed the very hard sections to be fair and fun.

The graphics are pretty good but I think they could be a tad better in some levels. The Wii U should be capable of running the game at a higher quality but this is not an issue at all and just a nitpick. No points reduced here.

Now I will end the main review off by talking about the level design and the overall gameplay. I could tell that the developers put a lot of time into making the levels creative and unique from each other. I only hated one level out of every single level in the game! The only time I hated some other levels was due to them being hard at first which is not a bad thing at all. Beating a difficult level without getting hit felt great and rewarding. Then I grew to love them.

Sure this game is not worthy of picking up the console alone but with the combination of super mario 3d world and mario kart 8 and super smash bros coming up in the future, it's certainly worth your time and money. Check this game out. You may just fall in love with it.

76. May 25, 2014
    This is an amazing game, the graphics are fantastic and the gameplay is just one of the best ive seen in a platformer. Although its a very hard game you never feel cheated of dying. There is also alot of content and collectibles as well. This is one of the best games on the Wii U. The level design is purely amazing, it ranges from normal platforming, swinging from vines, minecarts,This is an amazing game, the graphics are fantastic and the gameplay is just one of the best ive seen in a platformer. Although its a very hard game you never feel cheated of dying. There is also alot of content and collectibles as well. This is one of the best games on the Wii U. The level design is purely amazing, it ranges from normal platforming, swinging from vines, minecarts, underwater levels, rocket barrels and even riding on the back of a rhino. Also the addition of Dixie Kong and Cranky Kong are a bonus. If i could i'd give it 9.5 but a 9 will just have to do due to its boring under water levels. Expand
  77. May 22, 2014
    Well folks, if you've been looking to play the greatest 2D platformer of all time, you've just found it. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is absolutely phenomenal in every single way. The visuals are superb, the level design is amazing, the amount of content is huge, the replay value and multiplayer is great, the music is worthy of awards, it innovates on Donkey Kong Country ReturnsWell folks, if you've been looking to play the greatest 2D platformer of all time, you've just found it. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is absolutely phenomenal in every single way. The visuals are superb, the level design is amazing, the amount of content is huge, the replay value and multiplayer is great, the music is worthy of awards, it innovates on Donkey Kong Country Returns and adds so much in terms of new abilities and level designs and the boss fights are a lot of fun. Did I miss anything? Well if I did count on it being amazing in this game. It's currently the best game on the Wii U. If you own a Wii U you need to own this game. Expand
  78. May 17, 2014
    This game is amazing. Crisp graphics, enjoyable soundtrack and amazing level design. Great 2 player multiplayer action, really rockin with a good wingman/woman. A 10 except for a few minor items. Lives are shared, so if you are say, playing with your 5 year old, lives evaporate quickly. No ability to swap the player 1 character from DK. I also miss the lack of the blowing mechanicThis game is amazing. Crisp graphics, enjoyable soundtrack and amazing level design. Great 2 player multiplayer action, really rockin with a good wingman/woman. A 10 except for a few minor items. Lives are shared, so if you are say, playing with your 5 year old, lives evaporate quickly. No ability to swap the player 1 character from DK. I also miss the lack of the blowing mechanic from the 3DS version. My complaints are minor and come from experiemce with other games and other DK titles. This game is an incredibly enjoyable experience for the family. Expand
  79. May 8, 2014
    Let's get this out of the way immediately: If you enjoy platformers, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a worthy addition to your videogame library. I recommend you place it high on the list of the games you want to purchase, especially if you currently own a WiiU. What's more, if you haven't played Donkey Kong Country Returns, you can purchase that game afterwards and play it on theLet's get this out of the way immediately: If you enjoy platformers, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a worthy addition to your videogame library. I recommend you place it high on the list of the games you want to purchase, especially if you currently own a WiiU. What's more, if you haven't played Donkey Kong Country Returns, you can purchase that game afterwards and play it on the same system. Here's what helps give this game high marks:

1) Level design: The levels are spread out across 6 different islands. Every Island has a theme / setting that inspires the levels within. Every island has recurring challenges that you learn to maneuver as you progress. This is offset by including new types of hurdles and obstacles that you won't find in any other level or island. So, even as your skill level increases, there is constantly a new mechanic to get a hold of that keeps the game fresh.

2) Music: The game's musical score is fantastic. It's in the spirit of the original Donkey Kong games with lots of percussions, and flutes. As you progress through a level, the music will too, gaining in intensity to match what is going on onscreen. The music alone will motivate you to get past difficult obstacles just to hear it evolve.

3) The Kong family: What's great about this mechanic is that each of the three Kongs wil give Donkey Kong an additional ability that makes the obstacles in a level easier to master. There is also a meter that fills with every bananna picked up and every enemy stomped on that, when full, allows you to unleash a super power that transforms onscreen enemies into items. From a heart surplus to coins to extra lives. For extreme difficulty, take the levels on solo.

4) Gameplay: Tropical Freeze adds swimming to the mix, which increases Donkey Kong's move set. You can roll, jump, smash the ground, swim, water spin, grab onto vines and cling to certain surfaces. Most, if not all of these moves are augmented when partnered with a Kong family member that sits perched atop Donkey Kong's back. Mastering these skills is a lot of fun when trying to complete levels. What makes the levels stand out especially, and adds replayability to the game, are the hidden Puzzle pieces and K-O-N-G letters in every level. Finding them opens up bonus levels on every island, as well as gives access to a 'temple' level once every puzzle piece is found. The difficulty of these temples is quite high, as they'll have unique obstacles to master. Also, every level completed has a time trial challenge that opens up for you to try.

5) Graphics: The artistic design is top notch. The world is colorful, and lively. Levels are stuffed full of détails that you won't even notice unless you stop and take a look once in a while. Grass swings in the breeze, water ripples nicely when you dive in, enemies animate really well, The kongs have better fur effects than the previous game, and all of it is rendered in 1080p at 60 frames per second. It's a visual treat.

Overall: Tropical Freeze will make you a better platformer. It engages all of your senses, besides smell, beautifully. It's extremely challenging, but fair, and the high difficulty is offset by items you can use within the game, as well as the various checkpoints found throughout the levels. It's a rewarding game that you'll want to play through at least once a year. Go and buy it, you won't be disappointed.
  80. May 3, 2014
    Playing through Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, I thought it was a nice platformer. The designs were nice, it proved to be challenging, and it used some nice dynamic camera angles that I hadn't seen before in a 2D platformer. Then it was over, and I found myself a little disappointed at how bare-bones the game turned out to be. Unfazed, I decided to extend my playtime by collectingPlaying through Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, I thought it was a nice platformer. The designs were nice, it proved to be challenging, and it used some nice dynamic camera angles that I hadn't seen before in a 2D platformer. Then it was over, and I found myself a little disappointed at how bare-bones the game turned out to be. Unfazed, I decided to extend my playtime by collecting all of the K-O-N-G letters and Puzzle Pieces. It was then that I saw the game start to open up. Although it's not as extensive as New Super Mario Bros. U or Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze had one important thing going for it; the "just one more try" mentality. The inclusion of collectables such as Images and Dioramas added to the thrill of trying and failing, and listening to the absolutely gorgeous soundtrack over and over was never irritating. It's just one of those games that you may not love at first, but overtime you begin to appreciate the smaller, finer details that the game poses to you. In a long line of 2D platformers for Wii U, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze finds itself amidst some stiff competition. But this game doesn't ape the others (pun intended); it merely puts its own spin on the meaning of 2D platforming just like other greats before it. If you are a Wii U owner and are desperate for a game that is challenging and rewarding, look no further than Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It is a title that has definitely earned its place in every gamer's home. Expand
  81. May 1, 2014
    This game is perfect! The best game of new generation! Donkey Kong is good game for all ages!
    And have good boss batles! as good as the donkey kong country
  82. Apr 20, 2014
    Wow this is really underrated. Poor sales and low ratings should not deceive you. This game is at least a 9.3! Can't give it that but can't say it's perfect either, so had to go with a 9. This has wonderful music, great graphics, awesome gameplay. Only complaint is how easy it is. Compared to other DKC games this is a Tropical Breeze. See what I did there lol.
  83. Apr 9, 2014
    I am 38 years old and I love platform games, because I have been playing them for decades. I am typically very critical of how a platform game is constructed. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece. Also, the music is excellent, it adds to the entire experience .
  84. Apr 7, 2014
    It's been a long time since sidescrollers were the norm in the gaming world, but enthusiasts of the genre still have a lot of excellent options to get their fix. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, with its endless simian charm and incredible atmosphere, might well be the very best of them this side of year 2000.

The Donkey Kong Country series has always been known for its attention

The Donkey Kong Country series has always been known for its attention to graphics and music, and once again Retro Studios kept true to the norm. Every single stage feels like a living, breathing environment, with staggering amounts of detail and incredibly fluid HD animation. The soundtrack was composed by the great David Wise, who wrote most of the defining tunes from the SNES series, and that should speak for itself. Better yet: graphics and sound blend together to form an even greater whole. Background animations sway to the music, from upbeat jungle themes to idyllic seaside melodies and moodier, darker compositions. This generates moments such as the absolutely breathtaking Grassland Groove, first stage of the game's Savannah-themed third world (and quite a contender for the title of greatest sidescrolling level of all time). Simply put, it's a feast for the senses.

If you think all the production value was used as an excuse for half-baked gameplay, well, think again. Tropical Freeze delivers frantic action with dynamic camera, loads of control nuance, and level design that is seamlessly integrated with the animations. It's not an easy game by any means, especially if you want to collect everything, but it's so perfectly crafted that even less experienced gamers should keep trying. It's a lesson to modern game developers: a big challenge is more than okay as long as it's part of a compelling package.

In designing their version of the Donkey Kong Country series, Retro has shown equal amounts of reverence for the Rareware-developed originals and a desire to make their own thing. Their original ideas work most of the time, but there are still some problems. Even though we have three extra Kongs to play with in Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky, they're little more than power-ups, instead of being full-fledged characters like they were in the SNES (thankfully, this is rectified in the post-ending hard mode). And of course, there's the continuing lack of animal buddies aside from Rambi the Rhino, which remains the most puzzling of decisions.

Even so, the many right choices made in Tropical Freeze make it the best title in the franchise since 1995 masterpiece Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. It's colorful, it's charming, it's filled with the series' trademark brand of meticulously designed chaos, and that's what makes it unforgettable.

Rating: 9.5
  85. Apr 4, 2014
    Amazing Game. Must Have for any DK Fan. Crisp Graphics, Game play, Level Designs. Feels just as good as any new version. You can also play the full game on the gamepad which is how i usually play after kicking back to relax on the couch.
  86. Apr 3, 2014
    When Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze I was a bit disappointed that Retro Studios weren’t working on a different project. I knew that it would be a good game, but it would be more of the same. I was right. It’s a blast to play through Tropical Freeze but I can’t shake off the feeling of over-familiarity.
    Let’s start with the best thing: the graphics. Sometimes it feels like the main
    Let’s start with the best thing: the graphics. Sometimes it feels like the main reason of this game was to have Donkey Kong in HD, and it sure looks good. Country Returns I regard as a brilliant platformer, but because of the Wii’s graphical limitations, it didn’t look as good as it could have. Tropical Freeze looks excellent. It’s not the visual spectacle that Super Mario 3D World was- scenery and locations don’t have that same wow factor- but it still looks impeccable. All the enemies have great animations too, and Donkey Kong’s fur particularly is very detailed and realistic.
    If it is true that the main justification for this sequel was the potential of HD, then Retro have succeeded. The game also has a powerful musical score alongside the graphics. In some ways, though, the game is a total letdown. At this time Nintendo should be showing off the potential of the Gamepad to benefit games, so it’s slightly worrying that they didn’t even consider using that second screen. It doesn’t even have the rarely used functionality found in 3D World. In fact, the screen goes black when playing. For that reason I played the game entirely with the pro controller.
    The Gamepad doesn’t benefit the game at all, losing some potential to make levels more creative than they are, however the excellent design of each of the levels, requiring very precise jumps and movements to get through, is as great as it was before. Sadly levels aren’t as challenging as they were in Country Returns but they’re still designed with fantastic flow, with very well thought out ideas every time. They are also extremely dynamic, forcing you to stay on your toes. While it’s a lot of fun and quite challenging as well, there aren’t too many new ideas. Levels aren’t really that creative and some of the best ideas- such as silhouetting, cannon level and rocket barrel and mine cart levels, all appeared in Country Returns. Often the levels are made to constantly be falling apart, so that you have to keep moving, however this too is a great idea but recycled from this game’s predecessor. The 3D camera allows for some potential in perspectives and ideas, and some levels make excellent use of it, like a challenging rocket barrel level, but it just isn’t used enough through the game, featuring in only a handful of levels. The bosses are an excellent example of how the game excels, with amazing creative ideas. They also return to the punishing, brutal difficulty of Donkey Kong Country Returns.
    Unlike Country Returns, which had eight worlds, Tropical Freeze has only six. This means it’s beatable- along with lower difficulty- in much less time. There are still the puzzle pieces and kong letters to collect in each level, which offers a lot of replay value, but the game could seriously do with more levels.
    There’s one thing I’ve left to the end, and that’s the characters. Whereas in Country Returns you could only play as DK and Diddy, Dixie and Cranky are added to the list here. They each come with special abilities: Dixie can hover like Diddy and then boost upwards and Cranky can bounce on spikes. While this is a nice thing to include, the problem is there’s one outright winner you will use all the time- Dixie. Her superior powers render Diddy effectively pointless and though Cranky’s bouncing abilities are also useful if you want to get to higher places, Dixie, again, does the same job with her ability. Multiplayer functions incredibly well, which was a surprise. It can be quite chaotic, but that much was to be expected. The camera is (usually) perfect in multiplayer too. There’s no online though, which is disappointing.
    Overall, Tropical Freeze is great fun to play, with some good ideas introduced. It does play it safe in the level design, which drags it down quite a bit, but there’s no denying it’s a sight seeing its environments rendered in full HD.
  87. Mar 27, 2014
    This game is very enjoyable! The levels all feel new and fresh, and they are also very long too! The HD in this game is spectacular, it has some of the best graphics on any system EVER! If you have a Wii U and are ready for a challenge, this game is for you!
  88. Mar 26, 2014
    One of the best modern platformers, if not the best, that I have ever played. I cannot compare to old school platformers (just not fair), but of any recent titles (last gen and current gen), by far the best. The music is amazing, the artistic graphics are awesome, the gameplay is challenging and a good amount of difficult, controls are responsive and fun. If you buy a WiiU, buy this game.
  89. Mar 24, 2014
    Just finished the game after playing it for about a few hours over the course of 3 weeks. I love Returns but this game blew it out of the water the music, level design, multiple characters, and beautiful levels made me want to 100% this entire game but man hard mode is hard.

I highly recommend this game to anyone one of the best platformers on the system and with rayman legends and 3d world thats saying a lot I would love to see a third game from the returns series!
  90. Mar 22, 2014
    I just dont give a 10 for the game, as a incentive for improvements because of some lack of support of game features that this game still dont have. But it's not a fail of DK franchise, but from Nintendo itself.

The graphics? Awesome. The soundtrack? Amazing! The gameplay? Perfect! All that you should be waiting about this game is simple perfect. Nothing to discuss. The innovation

The innovation that comes with the game is a kind of new engine/concept of 2d platform like game. You're not more enclosed inside a simple scrolling. Now the camera works from so many different ways as you go playing that it's like watching a movie.

Talking about movies... the game have a huge amount of content. In fact, each course that you plays, yes I'm not exagerating, is like an entire new game. The only thing that persists is the gameplay itself, all the rest is new. Just like that. You'll see new kinds of objects, new backgrounds, new animations, etc. It's incredible how the development team could work all of this and still with a good quality.

And now the cons:

-Lack of online features.

I think that all the game industry already knows it... but Nintendo. Online interactions is not the future... it's the present! And Nintendo yet live in the past when it comes to this. I think that almost everybody would love the idea of playing a Mario or DK game with a online friend or even with a random player from the world.

And it's not just about the main game itself. DK have some kind of collectible toys. A really interesting and great idea.... so subutilized... A simple online interaction to trade it would be amazing!

-Loading Screens

Some people already comment that the loading screens have a small delay... in fact, lots of games dont use loading screens anymore. The concept of have the processor with the objective of carrying small amounts of data per time, while you're still playing works better in lots of situations. Anyway it's not a big concern at all... After the loading screen, the game simple runs perfect, without any graphics problems.
  91. Mar 21, 2014
    DKCTF is challenging, beautiful and its controls are nigh perfect. Level design is among the best, most intricate and imaginative in any platformer. The soundtrack is easily one of the best in any game done by the legendary David Wise who have many iconic video game music tracks under his belt and he's the original composer of DKC series in the 90's. The boss battles are the best in theDKCTF is challenging, beautiful and its controls are nigh perfect. Level design is among the best, most intricate and imaginative in any platformer. The soundtrack is easily one of the best in any game done by the legendary David Wise who have many iconic video game music tracks under his belt and he's the original composer of DKC series in the 90's. The boss battles are the best in the series and the replay value is over the roof and the game is priced at 50$, suffice it to say that you'll get more than your money's worth if you buy this game. Highly recommended, go buy it, you'll never regret. Expand
  92. Mar 20, 2014
    The Game is great for classic gamers and newer gamers, its a retro platform game with new type features. The reviews have been to harsh I strongly believe if a game is labeled "Wii U" then they will go in expecting to be bad. The game has a nice feel and flow, graphics are nice no frame rate issues for me. The only thing that needed to be added in my opinion is being able to play as otherThe Game is great for classic gamers and newer gamers, its a retro platform game with new type features. The reviews have been to harsh I strongly believe if a game is labeled "Wii U" then they will go in expecting to be bad. The game has a nice feel and flow, graphics are nice no frame rate issues for me. The only thing that needed to be added in my opinion is being able to play as other kongs in single player. Anyone who is looking for a fun game to play and owns a Wii U should pick it up for sure. There is no reason for this game to score anything less than an 80. Expand
  93. Mar 19, 2014
    This game is amazing. Dare I say, it's better than the originals. Yeah, I went there. The controls are smooth, the music is AMAZING, the level design is perfect... All the stars aligned for this gem. With the addition of Cranky Kong and Dixie Kong, it fits more styles of play. Anyone who turns this one down is missing out.
  94. Mar 17, 2014
    A very pale comparison to its own predecessor of 2010, but still an okay game overall. DKCR was essentially a perfect game and a necessary one. Tropical Freeze doesn't really have much of a purpose. There is swimming, but it doesn't feel great. There's the same hard-as-nails game design, but it's made pointlessly frustrating by a less-than-responsive input. The controls in general feelA very pale comparison to its own predecessor of 2010, but still an okay game overall. DKCR was essentially a perfect game and a necessary one. Tropical Freeze doesn't really have much of a purpose. There is swimming, but it doesn't feel great. There's the same hard-as-nails game design, but it's made pointlessly frustrating by a less-than-responsive input. The controls in general feel laggy, perhaps as a result of the way the game is buffered on the Wii U, but I played the game side-by-side with DKCR and it was like night and day how much more responsive and tight DKCR was. That sluggishness in controls lead to countless deaths as a result of missing vine grabs even though I pressed the ZR button, rolls instead of ground-pounds and ground-pounds instead of rolls, and missed jumps galore. My girfriend also finished the game, and complained of the exact same problem. The level design also does not hold up. Levels are bizarrely long, like at least 3 times longer than they need to be on average. There is very little here that is both new and genuinely enhances the experience. The ice levels are okay, there are no new animals, Dixie is super-useful and Cranky is kind of neat in certain scenarios but you basically have to guess which side-kick will be most useful, and it often doesn't even matter, except when it does. The bosses are also way to long, tedious marathon battles divided into 3 phases each. The secret portal exits are often incredibly difficult to find and require playing a level over and over again, which due to the length of levels will drive you insane. The music is incredible, and the game looks great, and there are a few levels are genuinely fun, but it isn't until the second to last world that the game finally shows some of its strengths, and they quickly diminish back into the grind of trial-and-error that makes up most of the final world. The pacing of each level is exasperated even further by there being way, way, way too many bonus levels. There should never be any more than 1 of these per level, much less 3 as some of them do. If you are truly starved for something to play on the Wii U, wait until you can get it used or rent it. It's not even in the same ballpark as the previous game in every way except music. Expand
  95. Mar 15, 2014
    Just finished the game, and honestly i have three words for a review: Buy. This. Now. It was absolutely phenomenal - graphics, gameplay, and most importantly (for me) the MUSIC. It was a nostalgia trip for me going back through the 1990s playing DKC's on the super nintendo... Absolutely phenomenal game. Way better than DKC Returns. Loved every second of it!!
  96. Mar 14, 2014
    If you've been holding out for a a solid Nintendo title that will bring back the classic feel of console gaming, now is the time for you to buy your Wii U. If you already own a Wii U, it's pretty much your BIRTHDAY! Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze brings back so many elements of DK Country with absolutely gorgeous graphics and catchy tunes from the original composer.

Play it, beat it, buy

Play it, beat it, buy it, and saddle up on your rhino cause there are plenty of secret levels with loads of bananas just waiting to be found. Rayman was great, Donkey Kong is awesome!
  97. Mar 8, 2014
    I've never reviewed a game on Metacritic, but something has to be said about this game. Just looking at the User Scores (186 Positive, 4 Mixed, 21 Negative) it's obvious that there is something wrong with the way that modern video game journalists review games. This game does not deserve an 82.

Tropical Freeze is a breath of fresh air in a era of gaming where emphasis has been placed on things like plot, realism, Quick Time Events and DLC. The game is completely built around one thing: gameplay. Some of the most challenging and exciting gameplay in any game I've played in years. This game is essentially the Dark Souls of 2D Platforming. It's beautiful, the co-op play is fun and lets you and your friends share the joy of clearing level after level. There are secrets around every corner as well as things that can kill you. Boss fights are actually interesting and force players to think on their feet to defeat. There is simply something special about Tropical Freeze, it actually manages to surpass all the previous Donkey Kong Country games before it. Tropical Freeze is one of the best games I've ever played.

I honestly feel as if the people who would rate this game negatively either are used to playing games that are more like movies, or games that simply aren't challenging. For someone who craves a beautifully crafted game that bursting with ingenious ideas, an incredibly difficult challenge and well designed co-op play, Tropical Freeze is the way to go.
  98. Mar 7, 2014
    Where can i start..the games graphics are expertly done, the water and fur effects are some of the best I have ever seen. The controls work truly well and are very responsive. You do get a few new moves with crankies hop stick jump and the pluck move to alter your environment. The game sticks to the side scrolling formula but every now and then switches to a angled view for certain aspectsWhere can i start..the games graphics are expertly done, the water and fur effects are some of the best I have ever seen. The controls work truly well and are very responsive. You do get a few new moves with crankies hop stick jump and the pluck move to alter your environment. The game sticks to the side scrolling formula but every now and then switches to a angled view for certain aspects of gameplay. each level is a different world to explore they hide collectibles and other secrets extremely well and will require multiple playthroughs to 100% each level. Again with graphics they are just so colourful and extremely well detailed it's the best looking game on wii u as of now. There are a ton of levels to run through and there are about six worlds, so the game does boast a good 20-25+ hours of game play to complete everything. The under water sections are a pleasure to play being that most video game water levels are universally less likable than other's, but in this game they are extremely fun. The only minor gripe i have with the game is the game pad implementation is nothing but a controller, audio device and obviously a screen for off-tv play. But seeing though I use another controller anyway it doesn't matter to me, a real gem this one. Retro Studios have another classic on their hands. Expand
  99. Mar 6, 2014
    Some of the puzzles could have been a bit better thought out, but other than that.. swimming, riding rhino, using the supporting characters, traveling the worlds, and boss battles are all very fun and thought out. The soundtrack is epic for a Donkey Kong Country game. Very easy on the ears and eyes. Except the sounds it makes when you die. And you will die. Probably more than youSome of the puzzles could have been a bit better thought out, but other than that.. swimming, riding rhino, using the supporting characters, traveling the worlds, and boss battles are all very fun and thought out. The soundtrack is epic for a Donkey Kong Country game. Very easy on the ears and eyes. Except the sounds it makes when you die. And you will die. Probably more than you would expect. But it does make for a very rewarding experience when you finally get it right. This is a must have game for any Wii U owner that has a remote interest in platform games. Expand
  100. Feb 28, 2014
    Beautiful, absolutely flawless gameplay and level design, funny, diversified, colorful,... the new DKC is all that, and more. It is long, especially if you wanna get all the collectables, challenging and crazy fun to play. Kudos to the soundtrack. The DKC series has always been known for its amazing OSTs, and this one is definitely one of the best and most inspired ever heard in a videoBeautiful, absolutely flawless gameplay and level design, funny, diversified, colorful,... the new DKC is all that, and more. It is long, especially if you wanna get all the collectables, challenging and crazy fun to play. Kudos to the soundtrack. The DKC series has always been known for its amazing OSTs, and this one is definitely one of the best and most inspired ever heard in a video game.
    Retro Studios really captured the essence of this legendary character and made a game that suits him perfectly. The fans will probably love all the old Donkey Kong vibes, mixed with modernity.
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece of its genre, and it keeps reminding it to us during every single level we're travelling through.
  101. Feb 21, 2014
    This a beautiful game with an incredible soundtrack. Join Donkey Kong and his Kong family in this outrageous adventure on the Nintendo Wii U. DK and fam look brilliant as you maneuver them through this games bright and colorful worlds. The boss battles are intense and overall this is a classic game. Check out my youtube channel seantendo001 - especially my Quality Content Comparison video.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    The next generation of Donkey Kong is a solid platformer for the veterans. The difficulty level is straight from the nineties and the game doesn't give any slack. It's an thrilling adventure that frustrates at times, but on the other hand, it gives you a true sense of achievement. With these kind of games Nintendo will survive, no matter what the analysts say. [March 2014]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Apr 9, 2014
    I hate Tropical Freeze, but I hate it for the right reasons. It's an invigorating hate: I really badly want to beat this game. And when I do, it will be oh so worth it. [May 2014, p.68]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 7, 2014
    Still very hard, still very enjoyable. A no-brainer for all the fans of the series but also for anyone with a Wii U. [Issue #239]