8.1

1. Oct 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game, but have to confess that I seen a lot of glitches already. That aside, TT improved the open world format tons between Batman 2 and Lego City. Marvel Super Heros refines it even a tiny bit more by removing the scanner aspect which was frustrating because you have to get up and turn around at times. Another criticism is that the 2nd chapter of LMSH was a bit of a re-hash of Lego City, but that's understandable because only Wii u owners have seen Lego city. Some of the other chapters I have played have been a lot more fresh, and enjoyable. The characters I've played so far have each added to the fun. I like this lineup of characters so much better than Lego City which had wayyy too many generic characters that looked different, but didn't have enough personality to justify their existence. The humor is good in this game as well. Loved seeing Abomination sleeping with a Teddy, and when Magneto dismantles Iron Man's armor there's Stark in boxers with big red hearts... Good stuff.

I will say I think there is a really good reason to want to play this game on Wii u vs other consoles. I'm not a big fan of the Game Pad, but I love one aspect of it...No split screen!! The split screen makes me insane in 2 player mode. I prefer to play on the Gamepad while my son watches the TV, and never do we need to watch the screen split then fuse back together. It's heaven.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    From voice acting, to open world sections, original stories, and just all around tighter level designs it's clear that Traveller's Tales has been willing to take big risks with their newer Lego games that have payed off. This latest Lego game takes all of the improvements and features from previous games and makes them even better. Making this the best Lego game since Lego Star Wars II:From voice acting, to open world sections, original stories, and just all around tighter level designs it's clear that Traveller's Tales has been willing to take big risks with their newer Lego games that have payed off. This latest Lego game takes all of the improvements and features from previous games and makes them even better. Making this the best Lego game since Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy.

This is a huge treat for both Lego and Marvel fans. The essence of the Marvel universe was expertly captured here, just in a more kid-friendly, Lego form. It has the largest selection of playable characters of any Lego game so far, and they are all a who's-who list of Marvel's well known and not so well known characters. Each character has their own distinct feel and abilities that are spot-on with their comic book counterparts. Unlike previous Lego games you won't be seeing duplicates of characters who are just in different suits. The story takes you to a bunch of different locations throughout the comic book lore and you get to interact and play as many of your favorite heroes and villains. The story wasn't really as great as I would have liked, but it all comes together in the end and manages to still bring tons of laughs throughout. The graphics are also gorgeous.

From a gameplay perspective this is the tightest, most well made and versatile Lego game yet. The shifts between open world section and the more familiar and expected story levels. The latter of the two features some of the best set-pieces, combat scenarios, and puzzles this series has ever seen. They show off just how unique each of the playable characters are. It's also worth replaying them in free-play mode in order to unlock everything. The open world section gives the entire city of New York to explore, and they filled it with puzzles, secrets, and side-quests. You can easily spend hours here and not see everything this game has to offer. It will take you a long time to 100% this game. As usual two-player co-op is one of the best features this game offers. Exploring New York and beating up on bosses in the story mode with a buddy is one heck of a good time. The Wii U gets special credit for allowing each player to have their own screen. The only problem I have with the game are the irritating glitches that rear their ugly heads from time to time. Some glitches are minor like the random citizens wandering around New York floating in mid air or clipping through the environment. Other glitches are more irritating and progress halting, like getting stuck in the environment and being forced to restart a level, or having your co-op partner magically lose all of their Lego studs right before you eyes and making you lose your "True Believer" progress. These glitches are aggravating and do bring down the experience, but they don't ruin it.

All in all this is the best Lego game to come out in many years. It makes excellent use of the Marvel license and is just a heck of a lot of fun to play. If you've ever been a fan of Marvel or Lego games than this is a must play, regardless of your age. It's an extremely well polished game and one of my favorite games of 2013. I haven't had this much fun with a Lego game in a long time and I'm a huge fan of the series.
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    I've always liked LEGO games. With that being said, this one exceeds every single one. It has amazing graphics, great gameplay, and not only, but you actually get to play as the most popular of Marvel's universe (I'm betting that there's more than just those plus he ones after the story). Like all LEGO games, this one had several puzzles that would actually be difficult to figure out.I've always liked LEGO games. With that being said, this one exceeds every single one. It has amazing graphics, great gameplay, and not only, but you actually get to play as the most popular of Marvel's universe (I'm betting that there's more than just those plus he ones after the story). Like all LEGO games, this one had several puzzles that would actually be difficult to figure out. Definitely go and buy it. Expand
  4. Dec 10, 2014
    I've always seen Lego video games as inoffensive little diversions that didn't really deserve my attention in a big way. Last year, everything changed when I played the fantastic Wii U exclusive Lego City Undercover, which is not only the epitome of the Lego series in my opinion, but also one of my favorite titles on the console's entire library. Of course, this also means that UndercoverI've always seen Lego video games as inoffensive little diversions that didn't really deserve my attention in a big way. Last year, everything changed when I played the fantastic Wii U exclusive Lego City Undercover, which is not only the epitome of the Lego series in my opinion, but also one of my favorite titles on the console's entire library. Of course, this also means that Undercover will forever be a point of comparison for newer Lego games I play in, and in the case of Marvel Super Heroes, the comparison isn't flattering.

The game's general structure is pretty much what you'd expect from a Lego game: it features loads of possible characters for you to unlock and play as, in this case, heroes and villains in the Marvel universe. Each character brings their own skillset to the table, allowing you to overcome challenges and solve puzzles. The traditionally tongue-in-cheek approach to storytelling is also present, and in this particular case it's a bit hit-or-miss. It did help me get into the "superhero" vibe, since, given the conceptual absurdity of costumed vigilantes combating crime, I tend to cringe a bit at all the grittiness and seriousness that permeate the genre these days. (Except for Batman. Batman is awesome.)

Like Undercover, Lego Marvel Super Heroes features an open world (in this case, a Lego version of New York City), but there are key differences. For starters, while in Undercover you were free to wander around from the get-go, LMSH tasks you with completing several mundane story quests (more on those later) before you get to the exploration part. And when the exploration finally comes, it suffers from poor pacing choices: you can simply become Iron Man and fly over almost the entire city the first time you ever set foot on it. This took away the sense of mystery and wonder I felt in Lego City, where protagonist Chase McCain's limited early exploration skillset kept me guessing about all those initially inaccessible rooftops and hidden spots.

The city itself is populated by citizens in need, who the heroes have to help in order to unlock collectibles. Most of these are merely fetch quests, however, resulting in boring gameplay. Other points of interest are the many unlockable characters and vehicles scattered around New York, often needing a specific hero's power to reach. Given that you're not free to change between heroes at will, it becomes hard to bother with going back to a changing spot, getting into a new skin, then going all the way back to the item to claim it. Overall, collectibles are handled in a quite unexciting way, which is a further blow to the game's exploration aspect.

Story missions, of course, are the other main part of the game, and here things go completely awry. They are boring, buggy, unimaginative romps through famous Marvel locations, featuring some extremely forced puzzle solutions. During one of the early missions, for example, I had to get the Hulk to the top of a small building. There was a platform that looked like an elevator (with the generic futurist design of every gadget, you're never sure), so I stood on it; nothing happened. I proceeded to scour the place for more hints on what I had to do, coming back to the elevator a few more times, all to no avail. When I was about to give up, I went back to the elevator one final time, stood on it again, and voilà: now it worked, just because. Thing is, the game has terrible prompt detection, resulting in situations like this one, or the many times it asked me to hit a button to activate a setting-based ability, only to prompt an entirely different ability when I did so.

On the plus side, Lego Marvel Super Heroes does offer a load of content, and this should be enough to keep you entertained for a long time if you can overlook the game's missteps. I openly admit I'm not the biggest super hero enthusiast in the block, but I'd be more than willing to dedicate long hours to this game if it weren't for all the bugs and poor level design. As is, this is a title better suited for die-hard Marvel fans or less demanding gamers.

Rating: 4.5
  5. May 5, 2014
    This is such a good Lego game that it's ruined all the others for me. :( Highly recommended!

This game and ZombiU make the best use of the game pad so far on the Wii U. I genuinely miss being able to stand up and look around in all directions when I play other open world games on other platforms. My only real complaint and hope for a future release is even more openness, such as no

My only real complaint and hope for a future release is even more openness, such as no cap on how high you can fly. And PLEASE may we have a grappling hook ala Just Cause 2? I'd probably never tire of playing at that point!
  6. Dec 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is a game that involves over 100 Marvel characters with familiar settings, looks and styles. LMSH features a lot of game mechanics such as the ability to drive vehicles in the air, water and ground. It features a hub world known as LEGO New York City which is where you can find Character tokens, golden bricks and hidden Deadpool levels. In each level you have a stud meter from which if you collect enough studs you earn Tru Believer status, also you need to collect the 10 mini kits hidden in each level. This game has also problems, the plot of the game doesn't feel very good when you move along, even though you and the villains team up in the end it feels very anticlimactic. And as always I hate the idea of having to pre order the game just to get the DLC characters. But overall this is a great game that I recommend you should buy. Expand
  7. Aug 16, 2014
    Lego Marvel Superheroes is the best entry in the Lego series, and for good reason. The graphics look very next-gen, the characters all have cool abilities, and the levels are all very fun. My favorite part of this game isn't actually the levels, but instead just goofing off and destroying stuff around the city, using the many vehicles provided. A must-have for Marvel fans or Lego fans.
  8. Nov 12, 2014
    Travelers tales offers up a fantastic LEGO game that appeals to LEGO and Marvel fans, both young and old.

The game has a fascinating and captivating plot, especially for game aimed at young audiences. It has an authentic Marvel feel to it, while still remaining humorous. I enjoyed it immensely. The gameplay is typical for a LEGO game. It gets buton mashy, but powers such as laser

The gameplay is typical for a LEGO game. It gets buton mashy, but powers such as laser vision or flight help break that. The bosses are fun, albeit simple. I greatly enjoyed the many embodiments encountered through the game, from Island M to Castle Doom. One disappointment was, despite the many big-figs they're all generic copies.

Voice acting may come as a disappointment to some. After becoming used to Downey Jr providing Iron Man's voice, it is jarring to hear someone else do it. However, Coulson retains his voice and Stan Lee cameos.

Graphics look wonderful, and far prettier then in LEGO Batman 2. The gameplay takes place during the day, allowing you to see the world's many colors clearly.

This game also encourages co-op and with a huge open world there is plenty to do. I can spend hours simply wandering through LEGO New York City. Many sidequests are available, and with 150+ characters you'll be coming back for more.

This is a great family game for both parent and child alike! I would definitely recommend this game.

1. Jan 29, 2014
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes is fantastic.
  2. Jan 17, 2014
    The LEGO series sticks to its formula of accessible puzzles, gags and simple gameplay mechanics. While this coherence is overall positive, it’s not improving where it should. Nonetheless, the overwhelming presence of the Marvel universe and the amount of unlockable content are well enough for LEGO Marvel Super Heroes to please the fans of both the comic and the game series alike.
  3. Dec 17, 2013
    Everything about LEGO Marvel Super Heroes feels like a labor of love from TT Games.