9.1

1. May 30, 2014
    Simply fantastic! Ladies and gentlemen, GO BUY A WII U FOR THIS GAME. Highly recommended for a fun gaming experience. Nothing on PS4 or XB1 comes close. 10/10
  2. May 30, 2014
    Fantastic game with an abundance of gorgeous looking courses and awesome music, this game will being you hundreds of hours of fun whether you are playing alone or with friends...the ONLY complaint I have is that the Battle Mode tracks could use some tweaking... All in all a fantastic experience
  3. May 30, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 doesn't really add much either than some new characters and useful new items(finally can block the flying blue shell!). But it holds on to what makes every Mario Kart game so great: Rock Solid gameplay, well designed tracks and lots of charm.
  4. May 30, 2014
    Everything I could have hoped for in a new Mario Kart game. Fantastic HD graphics, tons of levels, characters, and custom karts... and online play! I've had a hard time finding a flaw with this game.
  5. May 30, 2014
    Absolute amazing, fantastic, gorgerous, great, incredible,
    THIS IS THE REAL NEX GEN GAME a TRILE AAA+ Game, MK8 is not a simple MK game is a complete gaming experience ONLINE, SINGLE PLAYER
  6. May 30, 2014
    This is the best next-gen game I have played to date. This is also my favorite Mario kart as well. Everything about it is perfect its amazing. Also I was able to get pikmin 3 for free with the promotion and because I downloaded both of these titles I got 10 dollars in eshop credit thanks to the deluxe digital promotion. On top of all that I also used the club Nintendo coins I got fromThis is the best next-gen game I have played to date. This is also my favorite Mario kart as well. Everything about it is perfect its amazing. Also I was able to get pikmin 3 for free with the promotion and because I downloaded both of these titles I got 10 dollars in eshop credit thanks to the deluxe digital promotion. On top of all that I also used the club Nintendo coins I got from these games to download Super Metroid for free which also adds to my deluxe digital promotion points. Nintendo is the best gaming company. Expand
  7. May 30, 2014
    I bought a Wii U for this game. It's a nice change from the AAA games that I play on my PC and PS4. Nintendo definitely knows how to make a game FUN. I highly recommend this game to anyone.
  8. May 30, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is a beautiful game! All the tracks are well designed, look great and the game has an amazing sound track! Certainly better than Watch Dogs! A MUST HAVE for any Wii U owner and a good start for someone who doesn't own a Wii U yet! 720 or 1080; this game looks amazing!!! But like I said, pick up a Wii U if you haven't already! Especially with the Mario Kart Wii U bundle! TheMario Kart 8 is a beautiful game! All the tracks are well designed, look great and the game has an amazing sound track! Certainly better than Watch Dogs! A MUST HAVE for any Wii U owner and a good start for someone who doesn't own a Wii U yet! 720 or 1080; this game looks amazing!!! But like I said, pick up a Wii U if you haven't already! Especially with the Mario Kart Wii U bundle! The best part of it all...A FREE GAME! You get a download code for one of 4 games in the US and one of 10 games in the UK if you pick up Mario Kart 8! 10/10 Expand
  9. May 30, 2014
    Game is amazing. Can't say anything else really. The game plays like a dream, graphics and textures are gorgeous all at 60 fps. Watch Dogs on the PS4 is on the back burner tonight.
  10. May 30, 2014
    Another Nintendo masterpiece. .
  11. May 30, 2014
    This is the real Next-Gen game that you've been waiting for. Mario Kart 8 is simply amazing and will keep you in the front of your TV for hours and hours playing because you won't get bored of it.
  12. May 30, 2014
    Great soundtrack, great level design, improved gameplay mechanics, no rubberbanding, smart AI, beautiful and detailed and colorful visuals, improved online mode, buttery smooth frame rate, new items, cart creator improved, bikes and carts balanced, skill based gameplay, fun gameplay, best Mario Kart ever made.
  13. May 30, 2014
    I can not believe how much fun this game is!!! If they bring out a dlc with arenas, I'll give it an 11!!! :-) gotta go racing again!! Woohoooo!!!!!!! :-)
  14. May 30, 2014
    One of the most fun games I've ever played!
    -Very interesting and unique tracks; lots of them too.
    -Online play and Split Screen(2 player) + Online Play. -Split screen up to 4 players. -Ability to upload highlight videos to youtube and the miiverse. -Runs super super smooth and looks amazing too. -Perfect sense of speed combined with crazy items and abilities. -Drive up walls, in
    One of the most fun games I've ever played!
    -Very interesting and unique tracks; lots of them too.
    -Online play and Split Screen(2 player) + Online Play.
    -Split screen up to 4 players.
    -Ability to upload highlight videos to youtube and the miiverse.
    -Runs super super smooth and looks amazing too.
    -Perfect sense of speed combined with crazy items and abilities.
    -Drive up walls, in tunnels, under water, etc...
  15. May 31, 2014
    The insanely high standards established by Nintendo games have been lifted even higher. The game is simply FLAWLESS. Brings back the feeling of being able to enjoy a freshly released game straight from the box. Perfect. Handles great, offers a load of swearing-inducing challenge, and FINALLY you can fend off the effing blue shell. Absolutely lovely. God I love it.
  16. May 30, 2014
    I have to say, I almost lost faith in Nintendo. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was good, but didn't make me feel that childhood wonder like the past Nintendo games have. I haven't felt this good about a Nintendo game since Super Mario Galaxy 2. This is, especially for a Nintendo fan, a MUST BUY. The gameplay is super fun, the graphics are phenomenal, the music is very catchy, andI have to say, I almost lost faith in Nintendo. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was good, but didn't make me feel that childhood wonder like the past Nintendo games have. I haven't felt this good about a Nintendo game since Super Mario Galaxy 2. This is, especially for a Nintendo fan, a MUST BUY. The gameplay is super fun, the graphics are phenomenal, the music is very catchy, and there is a lot to do. I've only played single-player so far, but I'm very much looking forward to couch and online multiplayer! Expand
  17. May 30, 2014
    Simplesmente Genial!!! Superou todas as minhas expectativas. Uma verdadeira obra prima da nova geração. O gameplay, os gráficos, as pistas, os personagens, modalidades online, tudo foi aprimorado pra uma das melhores experiencias de jogos de corrida que já tive.
    Totalmente recomendado! 10/10
  18. May 31, 2014
    Balanced, competitive, inspired visual and audio design, this is the genre defining kart racing game. This is reason enough to own wii u. Will be my go to game for a long time.
  19. Jun 2, 2014
    The perfect kart racing game. Smooth and beautiful animation, nice online multiplayer and choice of controls, cheerful music, no doubt one of the most joyful game on the Wii U thus far.
  20. May 31, 2014
    Highly recommend this gorgeous super duper fun game. I want to have children some day, just so we can play this wonderful game together! Nintendo magic.
  21. May 31, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 brings gorgeous visuals at smooth 60 fps, and mix the bikes from MK Wii with the parts and customization from MK 7, along with the new gravity system. There's more than enough new stuff here, but what matters is that the game is wonderful as ever on its design. If you don't have a Wii U and care about fun and challenge, it's time to buy one.
  22. May 30, 2014
    Gorgeous! It's like Mario Kart in heaven. I can feeeeel the 60 fps. If you were on the fence about getting a Wii U, please do yourself the favor and pick one up!
  23. May 30, 2014
    This game does so many things righ, I'm barely scratching it but the excitement is 10/10. Pack yourself a group to play online and locally. The bundle is totally worthy if you don't have a Wii-U yet.
  24. May 30, 2014
    Non posso non dare un 10 secco.

Il gioco è graficamente delizioso, divertente in single player (le gare 50 cc sono molto facili, ma poi nelle 100 cc e 150 cc la sfida c'è eccome) e divertentissimo online, dove è praticamente infinito! Le gare online sono serratissime e avvincenti, non vi è alcun lag, la grafica non ha nessun downgrade. Vale anche da solo l'acquisto della console e,
    Non posso non dare un 10 secco.

Vale anche da solo l'acquisto della console e, con la promozione del gioco in omaggio, Nintendo ha fatto una grande mossa commerciale e va elogiata e premiata.

Finalmente WiiU inizia a fare sul serio!

I voti negativi sono quelli dei poveri hater sfigati, che non vedendo il titolo sulla loro console, vengono a dare un voto negativo...essi non sono veri videogiocatori, ma solo dei poveri idioti frustrati.
  25. May 30, 2014
    the game is beautiful it may not have the most high tech graphics like the Xbox one or the ps4 but it does beat it in one department and That the fun factor. you'll have more fun playing Mario Kart 8 than you will playing watchdogs. if you don't have a Wii U sell your ps4 after all isn't fun what games are all about?
  26. May 30, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is the most FUN I've had in a video game for quite a while. Gameplay is classic Mario Kart, but with a couple new items and elements that always keeps things interesting and on your toes. The level designs are almost awe-inspiring on a visual level and a whole lotta fun. If there is ANYTHING keeping me from giving this a perfect 10, it'd be the fact that the current characterMario Kart 8 is the most FUN I've had in a video game for quite a while. Gameplay is classic Mario Kart, but with a couple new items and elements that always keeps things interesting and on your toes. The level designs are almost awe-inspiring on a visual level and a whole lotta fun. If there is ANYTHING keeping me from giving this a perfect 10, it'd be the fact that the current character roster is saturated with Baby versions of characters already there. It make the selection of characters feel...lacking, and not really diverse. But that's a nitpicky issue, as they are all balanced better than ever before. For those on the fence for buying a Wii U, this is absolutely worth the ticket price. The engine is efficient (60 FPS for 1-2 players local and single-player) and looks as good, if not better than, most next-gen games currently available. It's also more fun than ANY Xbox One or PS4 game out now, and the best part is it'll keep on giving for years to come, especially with the strong possibility of DLC in the coming future.

9.5/10
  27. May 30, 2014
    Phenomenal. Absolutely spectacular game. Exactly what I was hoping for from the 8th installment of the Mario Kart series. I was able to play through half the courses in one sitting, and the rest in another and ended very content with the results. The game looked amazing, ran like a joy, and had a great soundtrack (heavily influenced by the trumpet). I've yet to do too much focus onPhenomenal. Absolutely spectacular game. Exactly what I was hoping for from the 8th installment of the Mario Kart series. I was able to play through half the courses in one sitting, and the rest in another and ended very content with the results. The game looked amazing, ran like a joy, and had a great soundtrack (heavily influenced by the trumpet). I've yet to do too much focus on the multi-player as I am currently enjoying single player. Now as amazing as this game is, I do have merely 3 complaints as no game is truly perfect.

A. The zero-gravity/hover mode was visually impressive, but did not effect the aesthetics of the racing. You are still racing on a standard curvy track it just looks fancy. On that note the retro tracks could use a bit more zero-gravity.

B. Battle mode. If you've played this game, the title explains itself. They done-goofed the battle mode. The courses are no longer fun and interesting square arenas, but are portions of the courses itself. Completely shattered my nostalgia from battle mode.

C. Why all the mini bowser/bowser relatives? I don't have the character list in-front of me, but there are I want to say 6-7 bowser relative characters from the New Super Mario Bros series. These seem like wasted space as they easily could've included more characters from series' such as Super Mario Galaxy/Sunshine.

That's it for the negative. Those are really minor complaints in the grand scheme of things as overall, this is the most I've enjoyed myself in a video game in quite some time. I can't help but smile and let the nostalgia overflow me as I play this nearly perfect installation in one of my all-time favorite series'.
  28. May 30, 2014
    It's exactly what you'd expect from a Mario Kart game, and more. New courses, new characters, some new items and improved online. The replay system is a great addition too. Don't expect the game to change gaming forever, but you simply can't not have fun playing this game.
  29. May 30, 2014
    It's always a god feeling when a console gets a timeless classic of a game like Mario Kart 8 is. This game adds to an already great, underrated lineup of games for the Wii U. The first thing I noticed when I threw the game in was the graphics. Finally, an HD version of a Mario Kart series that easily gets a spot in my top 10 all time greatest game series. The courses are beautiful and youIt's always a god feeling when a console gets a timeless classic of a game like Mario Kart 8 is. This game adds to an already great, underrated lineup of games for the Wii U. The first thing I noticed when I threw the game in was the graphics. Finally, an HD version of a Mario Kart series that easily gets a spot in my top 10 all time greatest game series. The courses are beautiful and you find yourself admiring just how good everything looks mid-race. The critics definitely nailed the key point here, the fact that you're getting everything you loved from past games in the series while giving you more features like customization and a couple new power ups. This is the first in the series where, in my observation, can be master of the controls in the former Mario Karts but will have a bit of a learning curve with this installment. You have to be a bit more careful on the turns when first starting up, but if you recently polished your skills with one of the older Mario Karts, you'll catch on by your 2nd or 3rd cup qualifier. All in all just an amazing racing game and a title worthy of donning the Mario Kart name. Expand
  30. May 30, 2014
    I could write this review using a single word.

Fantastic. But it wouldn't be enough. It wouldn't describe the colossal amount of effort Nintendo has gone to to make Mario Kart 8 the prettiest game on Wii U, even prettier than Super Mario 3D World, the prior graphical showcase Wii U owners like me would use to show off what the console could really do if people just tried. From the
    I could write this review using a single word.

Fantastic.

But it wouldn't be enough. It wouldn't describe the colossal amount of effort Nintendo has gone to to make Mario Kart 8 the prettiest game on Wii U, even prettier than Super Mario 3D World, the prior graphical showcase Wii U owners like me would use to show off what the console could really do if people just tried. From the character models to the fact that this game runs in 60 frames per second, even in split screen two player, Mario Kart 8 is now the go-to-game to show people that Wii U can rival even the PS4 when it comes to graphical prowess. The fact that this came out the same week as Watch Dogs, which looks last gen even on the PS4, makes this all the sweeter.

It wouldn't be enough to tell you about the little graphical flourishes Nintendo have sprinkled throughout the world, so little that you don’t really notice them but they help bring the world to life. Things like Donkey Kong’s fur or Mario’s mustache rustling in the wind as their kart zooms around the track. The little background animations that don’t need to be there but are. The word “fantastic” would encompass these things, surely, but wouldn't tell you how impressive it is in its subtlety.

It wouldn't let you know that the racing controls in this game are spot-freaking-on, just as they have been in every Mario Kart since the halcyon days of the N64.

“Fantastic” wouldn’t explain how great the music is, from the synthesized beats of the Electrodome to the orchestral music of Cloudtop Cruise.

Nor would it be enough to tell you how easy the online matchmaking is, putting more “adult” games like Titanfall to shame. Or how well online multiplayer runs. Or just how fun it is.

Fantastic wouldn’t tell you where Mario Kart 8 stumbles, either. The most obvious stumble is Battle Mode, a multiplayer favorite since the original Mario Kart came out on the SNES. Whereas previous iterations of Battle Mode had custom built arenas, here Battle Mode is reduced to reconfigured versions of the Grand Prix mode tracks. It’s such an obvious fumble that you wonder why Nintendo even bothered to include Battle Mode if they were going to half-arse it like this.

There’s also the use of the Gamepad; in the sense that apart from being a horn or being the usual avenue for off-TV play, it’s not really utilised as well as it could be. How about a reverse camera option, so you can always see what’s happening behind you? What about a local 2 player mode that allows one player to play on the TV and the other on the Gamepad? Great ideas that aren’t there for some reason.

Mario Kart 8 may also prove the adage that you can have too much of a good thing. Some criticized Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS of having too few characters, but here there may be too many. Choice is always nice, but the fact that there are five different baby characters, and six of the Koopalings, makes the character choice seem a bit superfluous. There are differences between all the characters, of course, but when the differences are so subtle because of the large variety of characters to chose from, you end up wishing for less.

There’s the consistent problem of the enemy AI being all knowing. I’ve always seen single player Mario Kart as Me vs. 8+ computer characters working as one. This problem becomes all the more obvious when you start making it to the front of the pack. For example, Mario Kart veterans know that the only time you get items like the Blue Shell, or the Lightning Bolt, are when you’re at the back of the pack. When you’re all the way back there, you can’t really know what’s going on in first. So it’s insane that when you’re leading the race, and about to jump over a precarious jump, that a Lightning Bolt hits you at just the right time to see you spin out and fall to your doom. There’s no other word for that than unfair; fantastic is definitely not apropos.

A minor niggle I have… and it’s really minor… is the fact that the default menu choice following a race is the Replay button. If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly hitting A trying to speed up your progression to the next race. Mario Kart 8 looks set to break me of that habit, since starting a replay of the race just ends up slowing me down. The replay feature is a nice feature, don’t get me wrong; the ability to edit and share videos on Youtube and Miiverse is especially cool. But it’s not the main game.

Overall, Mario Kart 8 is fantastic. Just fantastic. It’s pure fun. The new anti-grav feature is arguably a gimmick, but when it bends your mind (and the course) it’s just, well, fantastic fun. Mario Kart 8 stumbles in a few places, but the overall package is one of quality and substance. It’s a game all Wii U owners should be buying right now, and it’s a game that should make non-Wii U owners rush out and buy the console right now.

Fantastic. Get it now.

Read my review here: http://intelligentgamer.org/2014/05/31/review-mario-kart-8/
  31. May 30, 2014
    Tremendous level design and the soundtrack really does lift the MK8 experience. Game play is solid and playing online is a blast. Shame the courses feel too short, as everything looks GORGEOUS in HD, and this just leaves me wanting more. If the character roster had variation other than babies, metals and koopa kids would be a 10.
  32. May 30, 2014
    There is a fine balance between innovation and perfecting systems that already work. Nintendo has mastered this balance in Mario Kart 8. For the first time, Nintendo has made a Mario Kart eloquently achieves both increasing the level of skill required while simultaneously making the game visually stunning and enjoyable to play for fun. I give Mario Kart 8 a 9.9/10 because no Game isThere is a fine balance between innovation and perfecting systems that already work. Nintendo has mastered this balance in Mario Kart 8. For the first time, Nintendo has made a Mario Kart eloquently achieves both increasing the level of skill required while simultaneously making the game visually stunning and enjoyable to play for fun. I give Mario Kart 8 a 9.9/10 because no Game is perfect.... except portal Expand
  33. May 30, 2014
    There is just so much love in the making of this game. You can simply feel it in almost every track (except maybe one or two). It gets better and better as you play it, and four way split screen has never been this good. Unlike old kart games you can actually know exactly what is going on.
    Not a 10 because they did not add special arenas. They used to serve as a good distraction after hours of racing with friends... Need to make it an update and not a DLC.
  34. May 31, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is my favorite game in the franchise. This game is an absolute blast at every turn. The 16 new courses are gorgeous, and the 16 remastered courses are all changed enough to make it feel like a brand new experience, with just the right amount of nostalgia. Online play so far has been working flawlessly, and new games start in less than a minute.

My only gripes is the

My only gripes is the character roster and the battle mode. The roster is filled with babies, koopalings, and metal characters. Which are okay, but when these characters take up the space of fan favorites like Dry Bones, Boo, and Birdo, I start to think that maybe we don't need 5 baby characters. And the battle mode is significantly different, now taking place on actual tracks from the game instead of in a fixed arena. It's difficult to catch people when you either have to tail behind them, or they zip past you going the opposite way.

These issues are easy to look past, as the core gameplay and track design is better than it has ever been. This game is pure unadulterated fun, and is definitely worth your time as a Wii U owner.
  35. May 31, 2014
    If you're looking for a reason to buy a Wii U, then here it is!!! Because this game is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! It has a lot of features from Mario Kart 7, along with new characters, customizations and usuables! The new Rainbow Road looks amazing!!! wooo! Ohh... and many features are on the gamepad istead of being on the bottom right of your screen ^__^
  36. May 31, 2014
    You know that hyperbolic nostalgia that makes you think the first Mario Kart you ever played was the best, even though you have a sneaking suspicion that some of the later ones were probably better? Well, nostalgia be gone! This Mario Kart is destined to be your favorite racer of all time. Every track is gorgeous, the controls are perfect, and the reward system is motivating and fun. ItYou know that hyperbolic nostalgia that makes you think the first Mario Kart you ever played was the best, even though you have a sneaking suspicion that some of the later ones were probably better? Well, nostalgia be gone! This Mario Kart is destined to be your favorite racer of all time. Every track is gorgeous, the controls are perfect, and the reward system is motivating and fun. It all fun - even the AI's item logarithm feels fair. Three cheers for Mario Kart! Expand
  37. Jun 1, 2014
    Depois de vários anos longe da série em consoles de mesa, Mario Kart 8 me chamou atenção desde sua primeira apresentação. Não tive duvidas e comprei o game em uma oportunidade única alguns dias antes do lançamento e não tenho um ponto negativo ou arrependimento nesse game, simplesmente fenomenal e recomendo a todos que gostavam e ainda gostam de games de kart e também os que gostam de umDepois de vários anos longe da série em consoles de mesa, Mario Kart 8 me chamou atenção desde sua primeira apresentação. Não tive duvidas e comprei o game em uma oportunidade única alguns dias antes do lançamento e não tenho um ponto negativo ou arrependimento nesse game, simplesmente fenomenal e recomendo a todos que gostavam e ainda gostam de games de kart e também os que gostam de um bom game de corrida.

Com certeza é o melhor do gênero e dificilmente será superado.

38. Jun 1, 2014
    Very few games these days bring out the awe and excitement like Mario Kart 8. This game not only looks gorgeous, but it was designed by a genius. Mario Kart 8 is a must buy, and I have not had this much fun playing games for a very long time. Why are you still reading this? Go play it now!
  39. May 31, 2014
    The best Mario Kart ever made! It has so much more depth than Mario Kart Wii. It is only slightly harder to pick up and play but it is a much much deeper game, it will take time to master all the intricacies in the course, cars, moves and characters to get to acquire top level of driving skill.

Nintendo proves once again they are consistently the best world at making games.
  40. May 30, 2014
    Visually one of the best looking mario game to date. All the courses especially the new ones are absolutely gorgeous. Also the anti-gravity thing in this game is awesome!!! Driving upside down and sideways on some of the courses is a blast!! 9/10!! ALL THE WII U OWNERS OUT THERE!! BUY THIS GAME!!!
  41. May 31, 2014
    I love this game so much, that I made an account just to give this game a 10/10! XD The stellar game design and the amazing art direction is more than enough to warrant a perfect score from me. Well, I do have minor complaints with the game (notably the bizarre roster, the battle mode, and the online infrastructure, etc.), they're truly minuscule in face of the amazing and seeminglyI love this game so much, that I made an account just to give this game a 10/10! XD The stellar game design and the amazing art direction is more than enough to warrant a perfect score from me. Well, I do have minor complaints with the game (notably the bizarre roster, the battle mode, and the online infrastructure, etc.), they're truly minuscule in face of the amazing and seemingly endless content that this game provides. It shows that Nintendo still has what it takes to make a game that stands out in such a competitive generation... here's hoping for more Nintendo magic in the future! Expand
  42. May 31, 2014
    Best Mario Kart game yet. Everything has been refined and the new mechanics work really well. The only problem is the character roster is a bit poor but this has a minimal effect on the gameplay.

A must buy if you have a Wii U.
  43. Jun 1, 2014
    The guy from The Toronto Sun must be smoking crack with Rob Ford, because MARIO KART 8 is without a doubt THE best racing game ever on any home console or PC, not to mention the best Mario Kart game. The visuals are jaw dropping, the music is bangin' and the intensity is off the charts! Anyone who rates this game as less then perfect needs to stop gaming, maybe take up crocheting orThe guy from The Toronto Sun must be smoking crack with Rob Ford, because MARIO KART 8 is without a doubt THE best racing game ever on any home console or PC, not to mention the best Mario Kart game. The visuals are jaw dropping, the music is bangin' and the intensity is off the charts! Anyone who rates this game as less then perfect needs to stop gaming, maybe take up crocheting or knitting because possibly this is too complex of a hobby for them. All jokes aside this is a fantastic game absolutely loaded with fine details and crafted by the masters at Nintendo with LOVE...see you online - seantendo001. Expand
  44. Jun 4, 2014
    Simply the best Mario Kart ever. Skill is rewarded but opportunities are still always present, and the best mechanics from throughout the series are brought together.
  45. May 31, 2014
    THIS GAME IS HUGE¡¡ WHERE ARE ALL THESE NINTENDO FANS? WII U NEEDS TO HAVE MORE SALES BECAUSE OF GAMES LIKE THIS , ITS SUPER FUN¡ YOU WONT SEE THIS ON OTHER CONSOLES.
  46. Jun 4, 2014
    People, Mario Kart 8 is finally here and it's the best game I've ever played! The game is so addicting its a good thing it's not Cocaine because I would have Overdosed already. This is one of those games that you'll never get bored with even in 8 years from now, the graphics are truly next Generation graphics that truly make Mario Kart 8 Shine in the Brightest way possible. If you want toPeople, Mario Kart 8 is finally here and it's the best game I've ever played! The game is so addicting its a good thing it's not Cocaine because I would have Overdosed already. This is one of those games that you'll never get bored with even in 8 years from now, the graphics are truly next Generation graphics that truly make Mario Kart 8 Shine in the Brightest way possible. If you want to have fun for the rest of your life, you have to go out and buy a WII U immediately and get this game! I guess the only down part of this game, is once you get it your life will be over. Expand
  47. May 30, 2014
    Simply amazing. This game is not only beautiful but extremely fun to play. I had a huge smile from ear to ear when I was gliding in the air passing someone in the race. It's everything I was hoping this game to be, it was well worth the wait. This game alone is worth buying the Wii U, if you don't agree with me then the free download you get for buying this game is worth the purchaseSimply amazing. This game is not only beautiful but extremely fun to play. I had a huge smile from ear to ear when I was gliding in the air passing someone in the race. It's everything I was hoping this game to be, it was well worth the wait. This game alone is worth buying the Wii U, if you don't agree with me then the free download you get for buying this game is worth the purchase of the Wii U (New Super Mario Bros, Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD) are games worth owning the system and will not disappoint. Don't listen to the haters my library includes: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Darksiders 2 (amazing!), Batman Akrham City (Amazing, they have Wii U exclusives), Call of Duty Black Ops II, Call of Duty Ghost, Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD, Duck tales, Mass Effect 3 (wii u exclusives), Need for Speed Most Wanted U (Wii U exclusives), Ninja Gaiden 3 (Wii U Exclusives and amazing), nintendoland (awesome), sonic all star racing, tekken tag team tournament (wii u exclusives), Zombi U and Pikmin 3 with my free download :D. Anyone that says that the system doesn't have good titles, deserves to be slapped in the face. Later this year Super Smash Bros, a Monolith Exclusive, Bayonetta 2 (wii U exclusive).. Nintendo fan for life! Expand
  48. May 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super. Najlepsza gra w jaką ostatnio grałem. Dużo postaci i pojazdów, cudowna oprawa muzyczna ;-) Tz "gameplay i fun" w tej grze to po prostu majstersztyk!!! Trasy wyglądają obłędnie, online do 12 graczy, dzielony ekranik przy 2 playerach,60 Fps, warto dodać, że to pierwsza odsłona serii w HD i naprawdę wygląda cudnie, zresztą plusy tej gry można by jeszcze długo wymieniać. Naprawdę polecam i zachęcam do kupna. Nintendo pokazało magie po raz kolejny. Expand
  49. May 30, 2014
    This game is fantastic. It is fast paced and has really nice graphics. I remember when video games used to be fun. This one doesn't disappoint. I'm so glad I picked it up. Fed up of being disappointed at the so called "NEXT GEN" games recently. For fun factor alone, everybody that calls themselves a gamer should get this. Trust in Nintendo to deliver a game that is actually fun and notThis game is fantastic. It is fast paced and has really nice graphics. I remember when video games used to be fun. This one doesn't disappoint. I'm so glad I picked it up. Fed up of being disappointed at the so called "NEXT GEN" games recently. For fun factor alone, everybody that calls themselves a gamer should get this. Trust in Nintendo to deliver a game that is actually fun and not trying to scam you for more content at every damn opportunity. You'd be a fool not to get it! Expand
  50. May 31, 2014
    Best Mario Kart ever!!!! Game is nothing but fun. This is the reason that I bought a Wii U! If you have always been a fan this ga!e is for you, If you never played the game, Try it!!!!
  51. Jun 1, 2014
    Thanks for renewing my respect for the video game industry Nintendo. By far, best game of the year for so many reasons and a choice of Pimkin 3, Zelda Windwalker, Mario U or WIIU party - FOR FREE - for registering MK8. Oh Yeah, not available for the "Drop a $1,000 just to play video game" x box 1. oh, but you do get dud of the year titan fall.
  52. Jun 7, 2014
    El mejor Mario kart de la saga. Su modo online es endiabladamente divertido y los circuitos y pilotos lucen fenomenal con la nueva potencia HD de wii u. Pero lo mejor es que los años le sientan genial y sigue siendo igual de divertido o mas...
  53. Jun 7, 2014
    Here's the thing. Nintendo have this gift; a gift of magical prowess. They know how to make games that attract all kinds of people, no matter their personality. It's a gift that is so rare nowadays, yet never goes under-appreciated. Mario Kart 8 is the prime example of this. It delivers with such poise that it makes you wonder if the Wii U was ever on struggle street. Titles like MarioHere's the thing. Nintendo have this gift; a gift of magical prowess. They know how to make games that attract all kinds of people, no matter their personality. It's a gift that is so rare nowadays, yet never goes under-appreciated. Mario Kart 8 is the prime example of this. It delivers with such poise that it makes you wonder if the Wii U was ever on struggle street. Titles like Mario Kart 8 are what bring supposedly doomed consoles back to life. Every game has its issues, and Mario Kart 8 is no exception. But when the magic of Nintendo shines through, there isn't anything that makes you feel let down. For over 30 years, Nintendo have been the kings of game development, and Mario Kart 8 shines brightly with every other classic gem they've ever made. Kudos to you, Nintendo. Pats on back for a job well done. Expand
  54. Jun 1, 2014
    I simply have to give this game a 10/10. It improves upon everything compared to all past Mario Kart entries. It's a superb experience, it's fluid, the controls are very solid and online racing is more fun than it has ever been. Probably the best WiiU game right now, do yourself a favor and get this!
  55. Jun 1, 2014
    This is without a doubt the most fun racing game of all time! Great controls, gorgeous graphics and the best track designs ever in a mariokart game. Only downside is to many baby versions of other characters in the roster.
  56. Jun 3, 2014
    Awesome Game! I could never really get into the Wii Mario Kart because I didn't really like the motion controls, well problem solved. You can play with any controller for the Wii U be in the pro controller, gamepad, gamepad using motion controls, or wiimote(possibly classic controller, but I don't have one to test it out) and the controls are tight. The graphics are easily the best for theAwesome Game! I could never really get into the Wii Mario Kart because I didn't really like the motion controls, well problem solved. You can play with any controller for the Wii U be in the pro controller, gamepad, gamepad using motion controls, or wiimote(possibly classic controller, but I don't have one to test it out) and the controls are tight. The graphics are easily the best for the Wii U to date, with no lag or stuttering even online is butter smooth and connecting to an online mate is easy and fast. There are tons of unlockables through gameplay where other companies might charge you in app for. If you own a Wii U go get this game, if not go get a Wii U and This game with the price you can find the Wii U at these days it's almost a no brainer and you will not be disappointed. Expand
  57. Jun 3, 2014
    The best game out there for the WiiU. It's hard to get the hang of at first, but the payoff is worth it in the end. The graphics are amazing, the level design is fantastic.

I think the levels are the best part, besides the crisp HD.

If you fall behind, it is extremely difficult to catch up though! I recommend this game to everyone.
  58. May 30, 2014
    The track design in this game is second to none, the virtual scenery is jaw dropping, just beautiful. there are tons of items to use which are well implemented, you can trump the blue shell attack, which thus adds more refinement and balance to the gameplay. the controls are smooth and responsive as they should be, the online is a hoot to play as well. the battle arenas are no longer,The track design in this game is second to none, the virtual scenery is jaw dropping, just beautiful. there are tons of items to use which are well implemented, you can trump the blue shell attack, which thus adds more refinement and balance to the gameplay. the controls are smooth and responsive as they should be, the online is a hoot to play as well. the battle arenas are no longer, nintendo has been lazy in my opinion and just used 8 tracks from the grand prix. you can change your kart as well with different well...karts, wheels, gliders to tweak your stats to your liking. The anti-gravity elements are in my opinion not emphasized enough in gameplay, say when go upside down your camera realigns with the track so it looks like your driving normally so it's more like a underlining concept to keep the series and action ticking. Overall though a stunning game, filled to the brim with pure charm and nostalgic joy. Expand
  59. Jun 1, 2014
    This game takes a huge step forward in its course design and graphics, while lovingly looking back to its roots. It combines everything I've loved about every other Mario Kart, and turns it into a fresh experience. The new tracks are great, and the "highlights" are a nice touch- but the thing that most impresses me about this game are the retro courses. They're far from the standardThis game takes a huge step forward in its course design and graphics, while lovingly looking back to its roots. It combines everything I've loved about every other Mario Kart, and turns it into a fresh experience. The new tracks are great, and the "highlights" are a nice touch- but the thing that most impresses me about this game are the retro courses. They're far from the standard copy/paste from the past, and each of them have been retrofitted with the new things this game brings, while still maintaining their original feel. Nintendo clearly put a lot of time, effort, and thought into this game, and it deserves every last cent that I've spent on it- and I haven't even STARTED The multiplayer yet! To sum it up, this is a fantastic game- a must have for any Wii U owner, and the closest thing we've had so far to a system seller! Expand
  60. Jun 1, 2014
    Wow, this is the most fun racing game iv'e ever played, its just pure chaotic fun no matter how many players there are. Just go and BUY A WII U FOR THIS GAME!!!! Plus you get a free download game if you register Mariokart before july 31st, that is true value!
  61. Jun 1, 2014
    El MK8 es excelente en todos los sentidos, el primer día lo jugué casi patológicamente al rededor de 14 horas que se fueron volando con los amigos.

Solo tuve un problema de conexión en línea para jugar partidas que ya teniendo acceso a internet son increibles. Relato cómo solucionar el problema por si lo tienen. Lo que tienes que hacer es meterte a la pág. de tu modem y cambiar la

Lo que tienes que hacer es meterte a la pág. de tu modem y cambiar la configuración del DMZ y a mí me entra ya siempre a internet, si tienes infinitum (México) llámales a los asesores y ellos te van diciendo cómo...
    juego de ★★★★★
  62. Jun 7, 2014
    Fun enjoyable gameplay. This is my favourite Mario Kart yet (previously it was Mario Kart 64). The gameplay is enjoyable alone, but best played with friends or being competitive online. The only flaws are the poor roster (full of babies, metal mario and the aweful pink gold peach) and in battle mode you can only play on race courses rather than courses specifically designed for it likeFun enjoyable gameplay. This is my favourite Mario Kart yet (previously it was Mario Kart 64). The gameplay is enjoyable alone, but best played with friends or being competitive online. The only flaws are the poor roster (full of babies, metal mario and the aweful pink gold peach) and in battle mode you can only play on race courses rather than courses specifically designed for it like previous installments in the series. This leads to you driving around trying to find someone for the whole match, and when you do it's someone on your team, but you're so happy that you have found someone so you throw an item anyway, but it harms them as items aren't on team. However, battle mode isn't the main feature in Mario Kart, and the roster can be forgiven by the fact you can play as Mii, which have almost endless customization possibilities. I give Mario Kart 8 a 99/100 Expand
  63. Jun 2, 2014
    Tough to say anything wrong with the game, maybe having a way to invite people to you game online, but seriously the only minor complaint I can find. Tracks are amazing, visuals are beautiful, soundtrack is wonderful, and the game is just pure fun and accessible to everyone.
  64. Jun 2, 2014
    I just picked up this game on May 31st. It was the best purchase I have ever made! Mario Kart 8 is by far the greatest in the series, NOT Mario Kart 64... put the torches and pitchforks down. The visuals? Mind-blowing. The gameplay? Fun beyond belief. EVERYTHING? Incredible. I want this game to make the Wii U sell like hot cakes. It seriously deserves all of the love that its getting, andI just picked up this game on May 31st. It was the best purchase I have ever made! Mario Kart 8 is by far the greatest in the series, NOT Mario Kart 64... put the torches and pitchforks down. The visuals? Mind-blowing. The gameplay? Fun beyond belief. EVERYTHING? Incredible. I want this game to make the Wii U sell like hot cakes. It seriously deserves all of the love that its getting, and even more than that! Nintendo went all out with this one, and wanted it to be the greatest, and we got what could possibly be the most beautiful game ever created by Nintendo so far. Mission accomplished. :D Expand
  65. May 30, 2014
    Only thing holding me back from giving this fantastic title a 10 is the inability to send online game request to friends. Other than that this is a solid title. The highlight reels are great after a race!
  66. Jun 1, 2014
    It's an honest to God game, and it's incredibly fun to play. It's not riddled with DLC right out of the box, and the online is great, and the AI is fun to race against. It was everything I expected and more.
  67. Jun 1, 2014
    Is the best kart racing game ever made. I wanted all the kids in the world could play it. This game is incredibly fun. If you are a true mario kart fan, this game is like a dream. Highly competitive, best online experience, detailed and colorful visuals, amazing graphics, awesome soundtrack. I loved the balance between old and new ideas. If you never played mario kart before you must buyIs the best kart racing game ever made. I wanted all the kids in the world could play it. This game is incredibly fun. If you are a true mario kart fan, this game is like a dream. Highly competitive, best online experience, detailed and colorful visuals, amazing graphics, awesome soundtrack. I loved the balance between old and new ideas. If you never played mario kart before you must buy Mario Kart 8. I really miss the battle arenas, can't wait to see them soon as possible. Expand
  68. Jun 1, 2014
    Uns dos melhores Mario Kart já lançados. O visual HD deixa o jogo impressionante apesar de alguns serrilhados aqui e ali, isso não atrapalha em nada na jogatina. As trilhas sonoras são épicas e o sistema de anti gravidade funciona perfeitamente bem, e os ovos itens e personagens serem bem bolados e criativos. As partidas online são super bem fluidas, sem travamentos, mas você poderá cairUns dos melhores Mario Kart já lançados. O visual HD deixa o jogo impressionante apesar de alguns serrilhados aqui e ali, isso não atrapalha em nada na jogatina. As trilhas sonoras são épicas e o sistema de anti gravidade funciona perfeitamente bem, e os ovos itens e personagens serem bem bolados e criativos. As partidas online são super bem fluidas, sem travamentos, mas você poderá cair da rede online do jogo de vez em quando. Expand
  69. Jun 1, 2014
    I must say that, this game is perfect, I never could imagine that this graphic could be maked, it's more beautifull than even the real life, it's just amazing.

The controls are fine, they are like every Mario Kart game, and men... the items are so much balanced, isn't a item rain like in the DS. I'm more than right when I give a 10 to this beautifull game... no, it's not only a game,

I'm more than right when I give a 10 to this beautifull game... no, it's not only a game, it's art.
  70. Jun 2, 2014
    Saying amazing is not enough for this game. It was made by geniuses. The graphics are outstanding, the music is a delight to hear, every detail has been taking care of. As a Mario Kart game is short if you play solo, but youll have a blast ... and the multiplayer ... well hours and hours of fun... if this game can not sell Wii Us nothing can
  71. Jun 2, 2014
    Best gaming experience I've had in a long time. A Nintendo representative said that technical horsepower alone is not enough. Game-play is what's most important. This piece of software is a perfect example how true this statement is. Thank you Nintendo, you guys rock !!!
  72. Jun 2, 2014
    Ótimo jogo, está muito lindo, a jogabilidade está impecável... muito épico, moderno e nostálgico ao mesmo tempo, as fases antigas dos consoles anteriores remasterizadas ficou muito lindas, sem mais o jogo é supremo.
  73. Jun 6, 2014
    An absolutely amazing all around game! Similar to the original we know and love except it greatly changes things up with its level design and gameplay. It really deserves a 10/10
  74. May 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very addicting! The graphics on a 1080p HDTV is simply amazing! A must have for any Wii U owner, by far the best game for the Wii U yet! I don't want to spoil the game so go out and buy it already! Have fun with your family, friends, or random internet gamers. Expand
  75. May 31, 2014
    I've never had so much intense fun with a racing game in my life! Very easy on the eyes and tantalizing at that. Sound effects are there and the music, but as good as everything is in the game, I think the sound is it's weakest link. No biggie. The new tracks are wonderful and a nice careful selection of remastered tracks. Worth buying a new Wii U for? You bet your last pair of cleanI've never had so much intense fun with a racing game in my life! Very easy on the eyes and tantalizing at that. Sound effects are there and the music, but as good as everything is in the game, I think the sound is it's weakest link. No biggie. The new tracks are wonderful and a nice careful selection of remastered tracks. Worth buying a new Wii U for? You bet your last pair of clean socks it is!! Expand
  76. Jun 21, 2014
    A nearly Perfect Game. If you liked any Mario or any karting game, get a wii u and buy this game.
    Pros: The visuals. Wow. It looks amazing. The races. The Characters. Multiplayer etc.
    Cons: The battle mode. This is the thing that held it back from a 10. They put actual race tracks in the game instead of those cube tracks. This results to instead battling it out with your friends, you drive through the track hoping you find them. And even you do find them, they're just gonna zoom past you.
    Anyway, Great game nearly a 10, but the battle mode ruined it. Still great though.
  77. Jun 8, 2014
    Striking colors, fantastic music and unabashed fun, that is whats waiting for you in Mariokart 8.

Mariokart 8 is fantastic game showing that a series in its 8th installment can still come up with fresh ideas and deliver such a high dosage of pure gaming joy. in a time where the trend to bash on Nintendo for being "unoriginal" and "behind the times" its refreshing to see a game without the mountains of blood, gore and excessive dlc and microtrnsactions from a AAA publisher.

Let's pretend you have never played a game in the mariokart series. What does it play like? well mariokart (and almost every kart racer) builds upon the idea of crazy physics and over the top tracks that you duke it out on, often with some sort of item/weapon system. strategic use of items and Mastering of inline drifting is top priority.

while the same basic concept remains the same for mariokart 8, it's still the most refreshing kart game i have played in years. The antigravity feature may not seem to be much of a change at first, but its how much it plays in with gliding and underwater portins that makes it all work together. while mariokart 7 also had the gliding and underwater sections, it never really meshed. But with the antigravity in mariokart 8 it manages to transition seamlessly from one to the other without it feeling like thoughtless addon.

aside from thye new features what improvement does this 8th installment in this gaming megaseries bring to the table? for me it was the changes made to how items and drifting work. in past mariokart games you had the ability to pick up an item, shield you back with it and pick up another item in your hand, ready to blast anyone brave enough to slip past your defenses. This made first place almost invincible and impervious to attacks. not this time though as you can only pick up one item at a time, leveling the playing field. but as a consolation for the nefarious shell and banana fortresses they have the superhorn, an item so glorious, so magnificent it shattered the mind of many a mariokart fan, sending tears of gratitude from battle worn eyes. This item is able block the dreaded blue spine shell. halleluja!

As mentioned earlier the other major improvement to this game lies the improvemt made the drifting system, the bikes in particular. in previous installments bikes had the ability to inline drift, makeing them superior to karts in every way. this is fixed in mariokart 8 by giving every new vehicle type its own advantagea and weaknesses. bikes have better drifting, ATV's have better traction rough terrain and recover faster from slipping of the course into mud or grass. regular karts have better overall stats on every field and have an advantage when racing straight ahead on regular asphalt. of course each character also brings their own stats and preferences for vehicles. this makes this the most ballanced mariokart to date. cpu's are still terminators hunting the player down though.

the graphics in mariokart 8 is some of the best graphics i have ver seen in a video game eve. no its not the most technicaly advanced graphics ever seen, but its still gorgeous and proves the wiiu is no slouch when compared to the ps4 and xb1. the creativity that is put into the design of each track, both graphicaly and from a gameplay standpoint is mindblowing. even the the retro courses have been remade with new features and gorgeous HD visuals.

the online is probably the best nintendo has ever had, you can customize EVERYTHING in the different modes, from item selection to tournament rules and times. i ahve experienced no lag or dropping and have not had any conectivity issues over my long play sessions of this game.

there is only one issue i have with this game and that is a big one for some people. they completely ruines the battle mode. no more custom made arenas designed for crazy deathmatches and high intensity weapon slinging. instead you batle it out on the tracks from racing mode. this makes battle kode slow and tedious and completely unplayable with less than 12 characters. once the player count dips below it becomes more of a match of finding someone in an empty nothingness compared to the chaotic fun of previous battle modes.

all in all this is a fantastic game and a testament to nintendo's creativity and skill in game design, showing us why they still reign when it comes to making an actaully fun game and not barely interactive "cinematic experiences" that is so popular today. if not for the lackluster battle mode this would have gotten a 10 out of 10, but it seems nothing can reach perfection. a stellar game worth every buck for years to come. a definite BUY.

the
  78. Jun 2, 2014
    This game is excellent. The graphics are unmatched, the game play is perfectly balanced, all of the courses are a blast, online gaming works great, and couch co-op is the most fun in the series.

It gets an 9/10 from me for two reasons: 1 - The character selection is a bit lackluster. How about Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, Boo, Birdo, ROB, etc.? 2 - Battle mode is pretty much

It gets an 9/10 from me for two reasons:
    2 - Battle mode is pretty much just racing mode that doesn't end until you get hit 3 times. It's terrible compared to other iterations of Battle Mode in Mario Kart, which used to be lots of fun.
  79. Jun 2, 2014
    Wow this is a great game I'm still playing it and I love it it has great graphics great gameplay and great multiplayer very great oh and the price is not too bad it's worth It
    give this a ten
  80. May 30, 2014
    After 3 hours of playing i'm stunned. amazing tracks, nice new weapons and karts, 1080p / 60 fps what else do you need?! this game is must buy if you have wii u or even planning on buying it and promotion free game is always welcome
  81. Jun 6, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is the best game I've ever encountered in years! It brings back the true meaning of fun into the gaming world, to the players home. The races are fun, there is great real and cosmetical customization options, the tracks are wonderful, and the music...i can't tell... you need to experience it... Nintendo released this masterpiece on their not so well selling system, but i'mMario Kart 8 is the best game I've ever encountered in years! It brings back the true meaning of fun into the gaming world, to the players home. The races are fun, there is great real and cosmetical customization options, the tracks are wonderful, and the music...i can't tell... you need to experience it... Nintendo released this masterpiece on their not so well selling system, but i'm sure the selling be skyrocketing soon. If you looking forward to the game, but you don't own the Wii U yet, just go out and buy it. This game is a system selling title, not to mention, you can get a free game at club nintendo if you buy mariokart. Expand
  82. Jun 6, 2014
    I need to say, im impressed! The graphics are really great! and the game its a lot of fun! Online matchs are great. i would like too see more options to chat between players before the race starts. i would like to see a way to play on tv and gamepad separately in 2 playes mode, but im really satisfied with Mario KArt 8. Thanks Nintendo!
  83. Jun 10, 2014
    SUPER JUEGAZO, POR ESO LE DOY UN 10+, ADEMAS TIENE UNA JUGABILIDAD MARAVILLOSA QUE NO SE HABIA PRESENTADO EN ALGUN MARIO KART PASADO; ADEMAS SE NOTA UNA MEJORA EN LA MOVILIDAD DEL JUEGO EN RELACION A LA OPCION MULTIPLAYER ONLINE QUE TIENE
  84. Jun 11, 2014
    After putting some extensive hours into this game I have decided to pop on to review this real quick. First off the fact this game is finally out is just a breath of fresh air. I thought for sure I was going to have to sell my Wii U but this game really turned it around for me. The game itself is standard Mario Kart, with a small twist "anti gravity" while this didn't really break anyAfter putting some extensive hours into this game I have decided to pop on to review this real quick. First off the fact this game is finally out is just a breath of fresh air. I thought for sure I was going to have to sell my Wii U but this game really turned it around for me. The game itself is standard Mario Kart, with a small twist "anti gravity" while this didn't really break any grounds for me it was a cool feature and was a lot better alternative then flying as they had in sonic racing. The drift system is pretty cool I wish they would have added a 3rd boost option for drifting vs the 2 stages that currently exist. I have unlocked just about anything the ghosts were not too difficult to beat it was more of a "showing you all possible paths in a given course". I still have not accomplished 3 stars on all 150 cc mirror events but have completed regular 150cc and the rubber banding can be pretty ridiculous at times, but RNG is RNG. The online play is smooth for me I have not seen much lag or any kind of frustrating mechanics beyond the normal MK8 experience. I'm still waiting to get the 10k coins to unlock the last item. Overall the game is great! Fun with friends or with strangers and even with some of the same annoying mechanics regarding the rubber band feature its definitely not as strict as it's previous Wii release. Expand
  85. Jun 17, 2014
    Probably one of the best Wii U games to date, the new maps are great and the graphics are crisp and clear. The controls are hard to master on the game pad at first but with about 5 races it fells like an instant classic.
  86. Jun 24, 2014
    If battle mode was better, this game would get a 10 from me. Not having special battle mode areas was the worst idea Nintendo had. I would have preferred they simply reused the areas from past games at least than having players race around tracks.

The tracks are great = the new ones are beautiful and creative and the old ones are touched up to make them more enjoyable. Online play

Online play is seamless and I hope more games use the online play system used for this game.

If you have played Mario kart in the past, you wont be disappointed by this game...unless you are a huge battle mode lover.
  87. Jun 27, 2014
    The reason i bought a Wii U and was not disappointed. Awesome. New times, weapons and characters add some much needed improvements needed after a very unsatisfying Wii release.
  88. Jun 7, 2014
    Fantastic, fun, creative, and finally a counter to the blue shell. Need I say more? I hope for DLC characters and new tracks, but this legitimizes owning a Wii U by itself. The roster is a bit of an let down with unimaginative choices like good Mario and Peach, too many babies, and 7 Koopalings. Overall, you need this if you own a Wii U. If you don't own a Wii U, go out now and buy the MK8Fantastic, fun, creative, and finally a counter to the blue shell. Need I say more? I hope for DLC characters and new tracks, but this legitimizes owning a Wii U by itself. The roster is a bit of an let down with unimaginative choices like good Mario and Peach, too many babies, and 7 Koopalings. Overall, you need this if you own a Wii U. If you don't own a Wii U, go out now and buy the MK8 console bundle. Expand
  89. Jun 3, 2014
    The first thing you'll notice about this game is that it's beautiful. I've liked the look of past Mario Kart games, but this one is beyond compare. Even the remade maps from past systems look amazing. The second important thing about it is that they've made some new innovations, and they all work pretty well. Driving underwater and on walls and gliding are all fun mechanics that areThe first thing you'll notice about this game is that it's beautiful. I've liked the look of past Mario Kart games, but this one is beyond compare. Even the remade maps from past systems look amazing. The second important thing about it is that they've made some new innovations, and they all work pretty well. Driving underwater and on walls and gliding are all fun mechanics that are similar enough to fit in, but different enough to make the game seem fresh.
    Overall, I would say this is the best Mario Kart game I've ever played.
  90. Nov 18, 2014
    I haven't gotten into Mario Kart this much since the DS. This game is gorgeous, and the mechanics have improved so much since then. My only gripe is that a few of the retro stages have been changed for the worse, in particular the unnecessary addition of water sections and confounding zero gravity in some retro stages. It's also a shame that the staff ghosts on time trials areI haven't gotten into Mario Kart this much since the DS. This game is gorgeous, and the mechanics have improved so much since then. My only gripe is that a few of the retro stages have been changed for the worse, in particular the unnecessary addition of water sections and confounding zero gravity in some retro stages. It's also a shame that the staff ghosts on time trials are relatively easy to beat.

Otherwise, this might be one of the most solid Mario Karts with excellent visuals to complement excellent track selection, and online play that is usually very capable of keeping up with the action.
  91. Jun 2, 2014
    Ya know, I expected this game to feel like something I've already played. I remember playing the crap out of Mario Kart 64 nearly two decades ago.

But this game just feels like a fresh new acid trip of epic proportions. You'd have to be incredibly jaded to not have a blast with this game and a couple of friends.
  92. Jun 30, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game! Now, it does have its issues, but first, what's good about it; the controls are nearly similar to Mario Kart Wii, and while I was worried about this, the underwater/parasail segments from Mario Kart 7 were actually easilly controllable. The visuals? Amazing. It is SO enjoyable playing a Mario Kart game in beautiful HD! The new items were cool, though II really enjoyed this game! Now, it does have its issues, but first, what's good about it; the controls are nearly similar to Mario Kart Wii, and while I was worried about this, the underwater/parasail segments from Mario Kart 7 were actually easilly controllable. The visuals? Amazing. It is SO enjoyable playing a Mario Kart game in beautiful HD! The new items were cool, though I personally find the fireball item a bit useless; maybe it's just me, but unless you have good aim or just get lucky, it's pretty difficult to hit opponents with it. The new levels are just GLORIOUS; Electrodrome is my personal favorite track! I'd also like to mention that the online functionality is WAY more improved from MKWii's; I love the tournament option personally! The anti-gravity is a cool feature, but honestly, though not to this degree, I've seen the concept before in another racing game, Crash Nitro Kart, sideways tires and all! Now, on to the bad; first and foremost, the battle mode. Everyone's said this already, and my opinion's no exception, but I think it was a bad idea to implement actual racetracks as battle courses instead of arenas. Secondly, when you're first place in a race, you'll usually get coins as items, which can be real frustrating, especially when you're trying to defend yourself. Also, Rainbow Road? Not exactly a challenge, which is considered a nitpick, but c'mon; everyone knows Rainbow Road is the craziest course in any Mario Kart game! So, all-in-all, while I'd like to give this game a 10, personally, those major issues do hold the game back a bit. But regardless, this game is pretty neat, so if you have a Wii U, definitely get it! Expand
  93. Jun 10, 2014
    Almost perfect. There are a few niggles that prevent me from rating it 10/10, those being the following;

You can't change kart or character between races, so you have to completely drop out You can't invite friends and party up and join online together, so one friend has to join and hope there's enough slots for everyone There's a bug that kicks everyone from the lobby if someone

There's a bug that kicks everyone from the lobby if someone leaves without picking a course

The Battle Mode is awful, bring back the old arenas!

No on-screen map

Those niggles aside it's a fantastic game and well worth buying a Wii U for, hopefully we'll see a patch to correct some of these issues and DLC to add more content in the future.
  94. Jun 3, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is a masterpiece. This game alone will make the Wii U shine, for sure. They have once again brought back a classic game and made it look even better! It looks stunning and the music is just priceless. They have really listened to their fans and added/taken away things that weren't too hot in the previous games. Amazing piece of work, Nintendo
  95. Jun 3, 2014
    A technical success and the game design at his best. 32 races, 60 fps duo online, 30 fps at 4 players, this game bring so much fun in the house. My friend and I love it.
  96. Jun 4, 2014
    A great, gorgeous game despite the forgettable battle mode. The visuals are bright, colourful but still bringing some realism to them. Mario kart 8 might have impressive visuals but it is much more than that: the actual racing is great, new items feel fresh and balanced and anti-gravity is great. This one is going to keep me busy for a long time because of all the unlocks. Hoping for newA great, gorgeous game despite the forgettable battle mode. The visuals are bright, colourful but still bringing some realism to them. Mario kart 8 might have impressive visuals but it is much more than that: the actual racing is great, new items feel fresh and balanced and anti-gravity is great. This one is going to keep me busy for a long time because of all the unlocks. Hoping for new Karts and tracks for DLC Expand
  97. Jun 4, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is simply fun. The new anti gravity feature is beautifully inserted into the old tracks and the game is friarly challenging (especially the online gameplay which is really fun). The gameplay itself runs smoothly along with the HD graphics. The tracks and characters are very charming. Very recommended.
  98. Jun 5, 2014
    Most exciting Mario Kart game yet. New items are awesome, and maps are gorgeous. Even the online play is extremely improved. The only thing I thought was weird is that green shells seem easier to actually hit people with, maybe I'm just getting better at playing though. Oh, and when you fall off the track there isn't an obnoxious black screen that makes it seem like you just got put toMost exciting Mario Kart game yet. New items are awesome, and maps are gorgeous. Even the online play is extremely improved. The only thing I thought was weird is that green shells seem easier to actually hit people with, maybe I'm just getting better at playing though. Oh, and when you fall off the track there isn't an obnoxious black screen that makes it seem like you just got put to 12th place. You can also unlock things in multiplayer now, which I don't think used to be possible. I've been having so much fun with this game, even by myself! Expand
  99. Jun 29, 2014
    Highly enjoyable game with a massive single player game to play and an endless online one. Shame the battle mode is gimped, it would work better if it had arenas. Definite winner regardless GO AND BUY THIS GAME YOU DINGUS!
  100. Jul 5, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is awesome. The course design is great and creative. The character roster is the biggest yet, and has the Koopalings as playable characters (for the first time ever). However, there are too many baby characters (and what about Birdo, Diddy, Hammer Bro, and Dry Bones)? Even though anti gravity doesnt bring any massive changes, it's still fun and I love it. It was like "the glueMario Kart 8 is awesome. The course design is great and creative. The character roster is the biggest yet, and has the Koopalings as playable characters (for the first time ever). However, there are too many baby characters (and what about Birdo, Diddy, Hammer Bro, and Dry Bones)? Even though anti gravity doesnt bring any massive changes, it's still fun and I love it. It was like "the glue that connected hang gliding and underwater racing". Gamexplain said that. The tracks are incredibly detailed, making the game more like the real world. The music and graphics are both stunning. The game does have some cons though. You can't carry a backup item anymore, which sucks. Also, first place gets less items. The big downside is battle mode. Battle mode is ruined. It uses slightly modified courses instead of arenas. Also, the cpus are way too good, there aim w/ green shells is perfect. They need to be nerfed. The online play runs smoothly and is very fun. Summary: Mario Kart 8 is a fantastic, mind blowing game with great graphics, great gameplay and a great soundtrack. It has highly noticeable flaws, but it's still the best game in the series. Expand

1. Sep 18, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 is pretty great in many ways, but undoubtedly moreso with a collection of friends to play with, or when facing off against other players online.
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    No revolution here, but still it’s an absolute must-have for every Wii U owner. [08/2014, p.68]
  3. Jul 31, 2014
    A beautiful and fun racing game, which uses the possibilities offered by its host platform to emphasize and renew the truly universal appeal of the series.