• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Mar 19, 2013
  • Also On: 3DS
8.2

1. May 22, 2013
    Monster Hunter is a game close to my heart, I remember when I was younger on the first MH, my brother our friend and I spending many many hours playing this together. Now we're seeing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and it doesn't disappoint. I was very impressed by all the additions and the way everything comes together. Impressed.
  2. Dec 17, 2013
    This game blows your mind with incredible monsters and environments, but it has one serious downfall. The text on the screen is hardly readable. This made starting the adventure difficult and unenjoyable for a first timer like myself with this. The small town area is also difficult to navigate, but once you begin to master things, this game really opens up.
  3. Mar 16, 2014
    There is an insane amount of depth in this game. You could literally spend hundreds if not thousands of hours in it. Its too bad that it turns so many away with such a steep learning curve and frustrating controls. Its a hard game to play casually. You have to really commit to it. I'm glad I bought it, I just wish I had the time to devote to the massive world that exists within.
  4. Nov 16, 2013
    Good fun, but lets be honest, these are PS2 graphics at best, very average, but the gameplay is very solid and overall it's a fun co-op RPG. The 3DS link feature is awesome, very cool.
  5. Mar 26, 2013
    Slow to start and not the best looking game out there but near perfection in almost every other way. Tons of customization and upgrades and one of the best multiplayer experiences available. If you are an RPG fan and don't mind sinking dozens of hours into a game with a huge learning curve, then look no further. This game will be setting the standard for online RPGs on any console going forward.
  6. Dec 11, 2013
    First off let me say when you get this game make sure you have alot of time on your hands.
    The beginning tutorial is very long, around 4 to 7 hours. If you're like me I just skimmed all the dialogue and crash coursed the controls to speed up the beginning to 2 1/2 hours.

So with that said be sure to give this game a chance and I mean give it a chance.
    Veterans of monster hunter tri
    already know what to expect, but for those who are playing this game on hear say you have alot of things to get adjusted to.

One of those things is that this game is very very very very very quirky! Yep I said it.... QUIRKY!!
    If you just came from playing Skyrim and/or Dark Souls it will take alot of time getting used to and will make you question if this is a serious game. Have no worries though because it still is a serious game, just think of it more like an anime and how quirky yet serious it is. Also if you're used to great graphics in a game it will take getting used to as well because the graphics look like Ps2 style with HD polish. Set that aside and you have a great game.

Multiplayer for me was a hard thing to figure out but luckily on the gamepad you can go on the internet and figure out what you need to do with MP. Playing online with friends takes getting used to because there is no Invite option, so if you're an xbox player it will take some time to get adjusted to.

After the quirkiness of the game along with its new way of logging in with players you will find this game very addicting. There are several ways of killing each monster and each way will earn you different types of resources.

This game is more of a lifestyle than it is a great story, but like I said once you have the patience to give it a chance It will grow on you. It is a very challenging game and is fun to play with friends. The community of players are very nice and helpful so don't be afraid of being a greenhorn. There will always be someone to help you because while you level up and get more resources for weapons armor they still make gains as well whether they just want to sell their rewards or enjoy helping someone.

Once you get everything down in the game you will find yourself even more addicted to it.

Trust me this game is very fun... Give it a chance
  7. Jun 17, 2013
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is one of the best video games I've played. I'm a Monster Hunter vet having logged several hundred hours in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. Ultimate is better than both. I have spent approx. 630 hours on Ultimate so far. I've been playing video games since the NES and I don't think I've ever spent more hours on a single video game. That's saying something. All MH games require a certain level of commitment to become good. You need to learn monster weakzones and elemental weaknesses as well as their attack patterns. You have to learn which quests are best for certain rare drops. You have come up with mixed armor sets to get the best combinations of armor skills. You have to spend time farming monsters for materials to make the better armor and weapons. In short you have to put in a lot of time. This may not SOUND fun but it is. Remarkably fun. Struggling against a monster until you've learned his patterns and can then PWN him is extremely rewarding. Hunting with three other players and working together as an effective unit is a blast. Becoming proficient with the 12 different weapons so that you can tackle quests in different ways is also deeply rewarding. Monster Hunter isn't for everyone. If you want to just jump in and kill stuff with no forethought or strategy then Monster Hunter isn't for you. That doesn't make you any less of a gamer, just a different KIND of gamer. Anyone who would rate MH poorly is not the KIND of gamer who enjoys micromanaging, loot gathering and grinding. Depending on the rarity of certain materials and how lucky you are it may take a dozen hours (OR MORE) of hunting one monster repeatedly to acquire everything you need to make that monster's armor set. That's the kind of commitment that many gamers just aren't willing to make. Again, that doesn't make them LESS of a gamer. Just different. If you're the kind of gamer who loves to throw yourself completely into a game and you're willing to put in the time MH3U is one of the most rewarding experiences in gaming. After spending hours of farming a monster there's nothing quite like wearing your new tricked-out armor and/or weapon for the first time and destroying a monster that you used to have trouble with. I've never played any game more in my entire life so I can't possibly give MH3U on Wii U less than a 10. Expand
  8. Mar 21, 2013
    This is the first Monster Hunter I have ever played, apart from one when I was a kid, and I can't even remember which one; and it is amazing. Everything I was dubious about, the camera, only having 6 area's, organising and making use of the mountains of loot, work perfectly. And everything I was looking forward to, the unique monsters, the level of customisation, and even graphical quality, exceed my expectations. I am 2 days in, having clocked in over 20 hours, and I can see many more in my future. And that's not counting free DLC from Capcom. FROM CAPCOM. Expand
  9. Mar 24, 2013
    This review is coming in from the perspective of someone new to the series. The Good: An insane amount of depth and variety. Single player and multiplayer both work well, without either of them feeling tacked on as an afterthought. The combat is straight forward, but unforgiving of laziness. Weapons and armor have a lot of variety and upgrades, and different weapons for the most part have very unique attack sets. The game will keep you busy (and enjoying it!) for a long time, compared to some $60 mediocre "AAA" titles out recently. You have regular monster hunts, gathering from minerals, insects, bodies, herbs, boss battles, and a huge inventory and item combination system. The graphics, while being an upgraded version of the Wii version of this game, are mostly well done. The Bad: Steep learning curve. If you're new, you may feel very in the dark at first, and take a while to get your feet under you. The target lock feels a bit tacked on, and you may eventually find yourself having given up on it and just handling the camera 100% manually. The textures, while mostly updated and fairly crisp, in some rare instances, look like they've been whupped up on with an ugly stick. The Conclusion: If you're tired of your Wii U being an extremely expensive entertainment center decoration, and you don't mind getting your hands dirty in gathering and inventory management, and didn't break too many controllers playing games like Dark Souls, this is something you should pick up. Expand
  10. Mar 24, 2013
    This is a great addition to Tri. If you didn't play Tri this will be amazing,if you did this is great, but be ready to plow through the first few monsters you face. I did because they give you 50 bonus defense (which is dumb in my opinion) and I am also more skilled at MH from Tri. If you loved Tri get this, of you haven't played Tri or any MH for that matter, GET THIS. Don't listen to the 0 written review, he just hates Nintendo because they have Monster Hunter. Expand
  11. Aug 15, 2013
    If you have friends and you all have a Wii U, get this game and play the hell out of it with them. It can take some time to really get into, but it's worth it if you have buddies. However, if you're looking for a game with a story to tell, you might wanna skip this game.
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    Best game I've ever played in my life. Simple as that. If you own a Wii U, BUY THIS GAME! And don't stop playing until you get to fight your first few monsters, the Great Jaggi and Qurupeco. The game opens up a tad slow- even I initially dismissed MH3U as a dull game because I didn't follow throw the opening quests. Oh how wrong I was! Give the game a chance, and plow through until the monster hunting begins. If you do, I guarantee you'll be hooked like a crack fiend! Over 100 hours logged and I'm still early in the game lol.

If there is such a thing as a perfect video game, this would probably be it.
  13. Jun 23, 2013
    This game alone has more than justified the purchase of the my Wii U system. Game doesn't have much of a story but thats okay because Capcom didn't really try to give it one. The most fun i get out of this game comes with hunting online with my friends and other random people, the combat system is weird to get used to and very unforgiving at times but that just adds to the fun of the game, 12 different weapon types to pick from and an even larger assortment of weapons within each class. Every single battle plays differently then the ones before, the monsters have different patterns that change from battle to battle (for the most part) and get harder as you progress in rank. If you can get into the game you will at least get 100 hours out of the game and for 60 bucks id say thats a pretty good deal. The game is also very colorful and while it doesn't look "realistic" i think the graphics are perfect for the game instead of dull blacks grays and browns you get vibrant colors for your armor weapons and even the surrounding map areas. The monsters them selves are also vibrant for the most part and all look very interesting and while as you level some may be re colors of an earlier monster they fight MUCH differently and its something you must adapt to. Overall the games experience is something that you cant experience any where out side of this series and if your looking for a fun game to sink a bunch of hours into that has great online multiplayer and is actually fun and unique i would say definitely check this one out. Expand
  14. Mar 24, 2013
    This is my first Monster Hunter game and it's fantastic. My only problems with it is that the learning curve is too big with weak, boring tutorials.

When the real game gets started it's fantastic. My favourite Wii U game yet.
  15. Jun 19, 2013
    This is the ultimate evolution of what video games should have become, instead of the interactive movies they have. I have so far got 600 hours of gameplay and many more to come.
  16. Mar 28, 2013
    Like a bunch of other people on here, this is my first Monster Hunter game. I must say this game is wildly addicting and fun, even if the mechanics are fairly simplistic. It's typically, get assigned a quest, go out and kill/gather the quest target, come back and upgrade your character a little bit, then repeat now that you're slightly stronger. The game does it in a way where it's never boring though. My first big monster I encountered took me a long time to kill because I wasn't using any strategy and I was just trying to button mash it to death. After figuring out where and when to strike, and also utilizing a few tools, I was able to take him down. The battles are long and can be pretty epic, especially if you start to run low on resources during a fight or you're running out of time to complete the mission you're on. Monster Hunter feels like a cross between 80% Phantasy Star Online and 20% Dark Souls. If you liked PSO you will LOVE this game. The multiplayer feels a bit like an action MMO too with each character having specific combat roles. Can easily see myself putting in hundreds of hours into this game/series Expand
  17. Mar 11, 2014
    A phenomenal game that requires skill patience and friends for the ultimate experience! Easily a system seller and though its last gen graphics and steep learning curve are intimidating don't let that throw you off from this masterpiece.
  18. Jun 5, 2013
    The latest monster hunter game so far and it is perfect compare to other Wii u and 3DS games
    the graphics and the sound and the control system, it would also be perfect for 3DS as well if it had an online system too.
  19. Feb 23, 2014
    They should call this Control Hunter or Camera Fighter cause thats what youll be doing most of the time. Theyre both terrible and at times makes it unplayable Hunting gets tedious and frustrating fast when the game decides to handicap the player to ridiculous extent. This game should have a giant red label warning that players are likely to break something in their anger. Most likely their controller. Expand
  20. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is simply amazing! Even hardcore gamers have difficulty with this game. It takes everything about Monster Hunter and improving it! But the online multiplayer still does not work that well forcing you many times to go back to the first screen. And the graphics could be improved upon. My minor nitpick is how small the text box is. I don't really count off for nitpicks so I give this game a 9. This game is the best of the console no doubt. And we need more Wii U games which are lacking... Expand
  21. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is loads of fun. I've already put more hours into it on the first day than it takes to complete certain games. Every weapon(There are 12 weapon types) feels like a completely different game, and each is fun. To add each fight feels different, even if it is the same monster 6 times in a row. This game is the most fun thing I've ever played.
  22. Jan 14, 2014
    This game is great for new and old players of this triology, when I first started playing this game I fell in love with weapons, the armors and the skill combinations. This game is perfect to play with some friends and even to meet new hunters. The feeling of success and the power when you get the armor that you wanted is
    AWESOME, from hunting an Arzuros or defeating a Miralis there it
    will be always fun when hunting with friends. Expand
  23. Mar 22, 2013
    As my first foray into the series I was pleasantly surprised! It shares many similarities with action RPGs like Dark Souls or Fable. I find the game to start off quite slowly, taking anywhere up too 5 hours to hook the player in; however, the game becomes quite fun from there on out. This game is a pack rats dream. There is so much to explore, collect, kill, combine, and just simply learn about the game. One downside, if you can call it that, is that there isn't much of a story much of it is presented in cutscenes of new locations or animals to hunt.

This game isn't just the best Action RPG on the Wii U but it's a game that others without a Wii U will pine over.
  24. May 16, 2013
    Not fantastic on graphics or storyline BUT great game play. Lots of impressive monsters to kill and tons of armor and weapons to craft and also master. While playing the single player you can also do the multi-player quests which pits you against multiple monsters at once while rewarding you immensely with rare materials. Learning curve is a bit steep but worth the investment. After about 100 hours into the game i am still enjoying myself. Hard to say that for many current games nowadays. Expand
  25. Apr 2, 2013
    I played the demo and was a little underwhelmed, but interested. I read some reviews online, and decided to get the game due to high reviews of the multiplayer experience. I started playing at 7pm and it was 1030pm before I knew it. If you enjoy action games that reward you for your attention to detail, I would recommend this game. If you expect to master a game's controls in 2 minutes, avoid this game. Collapse
  26. Mar 23, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the Monster Hunter series, this game did not fail to make me love it again. It has better/smoother graphics compared to Monster Hunter Tri, and more content than Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. Also, has always its more fun online, don't let the epic game cover fool you and it comes with a new cute pet like companion called "Kayamba" and the previous one "ChaCha" from Tri. Now with the Wii-U game pad communication is no problem online, the hunt just got way better. Monsters after monsters, gather materials, make better Amours/Weapons, a repetitive(I MEAN IN A GOOD WAY) action game with mmo/rpg elements. If your new, It'll take a while to get in to, but once you do be prepared for atleast 100 or more hours of gameplay, mind you for this type of game a hundred hours are too little.
    9/10.
  27. Apr 5, 2013
    The only negativ think is the graphic. It is the same Graphic than the 3DS version, but in HD. But the Game is great! You pay the normal price for a game that you will play over a year! It makes addicted, bit it´s great.
  28. Apr 4, 2013
    Capcom understands what this game is. It's a port, and it's treated as such. The graphics, while updated, are not good. Your character doesn't interact with anything in his/her environment very well. You disappear into dead monsters, your weapons glitch through your arms when you run. These things don't detract from what the essence of the game is though...hunting big f-ing monsters. I played the game for the Wii and did enjoy it, but ultimately gave up on it. I figured with a new ultimate version I'd drop the 60 bones and give it another shot. I haven't been disappointed. The game is addicting from the start. It's nearly impossible for me to sit down and not play for multiple hours. There is so much to do, from gathering to hunting, villager requests, quests, cultivating the farm, sending out fishing boats, forging, upgrading, and decorating armor and weapons...not to mention how much time you can spend combining all of your resources into better souped-up kick-ass resources. But with all that, it doesn't even scratch the surface. Hunting is the true essence of the game, and there are a dozen or so different weapons you can choose from. I started out with the dual blades but have moved on to learn the katana and the hunter's bow. Each weapon is unique and there is a learning curve for all of them, sometimes a very steep one. Learning a monster's tendancies becomes a huge part of the game. Understanding that when you injure it severely enough it will limp off towards safety. A well placed shock trap can intercept it though, and you can actually capture monsters as well(with some practice). And that's what Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate really is. It's a game about hunting monsters, learning their tendancies, and finding a way to take them down. A single monster hunt could easily take up to an hour. And with an expanded multiplayer, I don't see this one getting old anytime soon.

I would like to mention, I think it is an absolute TRAVESTY that they didn't include multiplayer online directly through the 3ds.
  29. Apr 24, 2013
    This game's demo was misleading, I didn't even want to buy this game but for a strange reason I ended up buying it I can say that I have no regrets
  30. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is a very good and challenging game, its perfect for those who love a game as a challenge. The only problem i really have is that the under water controls cold be better, still its a good game. Some people hate that say your slicing and your in the middle of an animation of a slice and a monster is about to attack you cant move and then you get mad. you are supposed to wait for an opening which means that you cant rush in and attack no matter what happens. Also, people hate the recursion of having to fight the same monster over and over just to get one thing. Doesn't lots of games do this. Besides this is to make your experince longer. This game is not for everybody, but it's definantly for me Expand
  31. Apr 2, 2013

1. Jun 8, 2013
    If you’re looking for something deep and significant, something that will eat away 100+ hours of your gaming life and still offer more, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is here and waiting.
  2. May 27, 2013
    It’s a game for the fans and genre veterans, who will find hours worth of fun in this title with which to consume their lives. Everyone else though, might be happier getting their RPG kicks from a different source.
  3. May 14, 2013
    An excellent old school RPG with attractive well worked-out crafting along with the entertaining monster hunting, which makes sense even for Monster Hunter Tri owners and fans as a legitimate "new edition" because it has plenty of new content. However, you may criticize here and there in-game camera troubles and strong storyline absence.