8.0

1. Mar 1, 2015
    This game is AWESOME!! The graphics,controls,characters,designs,background,etc. are all worth it. The story looks like AFTER New Super Mario Bros. Wii(great game). Please get this game.
  2. Feb 13, 2015
    What can be said? What can really be said about this game? Well, for one thing, it really shows that Nintendo don't know what the word "new" means for a start, but let's get into detail.

Sadly, there's no reason to have any high expectations for this game as it's basically New Super Mario Bros Wii only slightly different. If anything, t's mostly just an expansion pack sold as an actual game. New Super Mario Bros. U holds the series back to its roots to create another so-so game that feels rehashed due to not including enough content.

With rehashes, the game follows such trends by copy pasting graphics, gameplay, music, power-ups and more. It's not that the game is generally bad or unenjoyable, it's just not very much worthwhile. More or less a come and go game.

Many models are reused which is a darn shame as the Wii U is truly capable of some great visuals, proven by its library of stunning visual masterpieces. This game falls short in that aspect as it pulls over from its Wii counterpart and lacks much appeal, save for some cool backgrounds and an overworld. But past that? Jack all.

Likewise with the visuals and pretty much else with this game, the gameplay has little to impress or keep you interested. It follows the same control functions as it did previously, which, I wouldn't have minded so much if not for how so few new power-ups appeared and many seemed to disappear. The Propeller and Penguin suits are almost nowhere to be found here, instead the game focuses on a new Squirrel power -up that lets you glide, fall slowly and, for whatever reason lets you stick to a wall for a while that has little no effect on the gameplay. It's standard stuff, nothing amazing, not much impressive and quite predictable. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" you might say? Well guess what? I'm not asking it to be fixed, I'm asking for substance and a game that is actually "new" in more than just one small new obligatory power-up. There's no sense of evolution, no feel of improvement or progression. It's just stuck in the past. The reason we liked Mario then was because it was new then, it was trying new ideas, this one doesn't break boundaries when it comes to beating a dead horse.

Level designs are the only redeeming quality about the gameplay, while no new enemies appear in particular, the levels are fair enough and deserve some praise. However, boss fights do tend to drag after a while. The Koopalings returning in NSMBW was cool and they all had different gimmicks to them which complimented their personalities. This game takes an even safer route with its same enemy, different dungeon tactic of adding a smaller twist every so often that equates to giving nearly no cares.

Speaking of which, the music is also so-so and rehashed like always. The music never bothered me but it did manage to bore me after a while, the only time I really cared about the music was because it was there. Why should I care, though? Why should I be immersed on an adventure through the mushroom kingdom to save a princess (AGAIN) from a giant turtle when all I can hear from my music is just some simple carefree stuff? I'm not asking for epic choirs, I'm, again, asking for significance, asking for satisfaction. There's no sense of adventure, just a casual, passive stroll without a care in the world.

Like I mentioned, the story also remains the same. Bowser kidnaps princess. Mario must save princess. Princess is saved. (Cake.) When it comes to story in these games I wouldn't ask for much to be improved upon just a tad that could make it seem more adventure like, Super Mario 3D Land managed to at least do this with some mild cutscenes (even for how needless they were) they were slightly substantial at least. Here? Nothing. Though, I guess it could also be seen as good that the story doesn't interrupt the gameplay. So I'll give it that.

But, all in all. New Super Mario Bros. U was a petty launch title. A quick rehash to grab your money from Nintendo. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. From one of the greatest gaming icons to a cheap cash cow. Well done, Nintendo. Well done. Game design is simple and playable, but nothing we haven't already seen. Looking for something new? Don't let the name fool you, or you'll just be disappointed.
  3. Jan 26, 2015
    If you love 2D mario platformers this is your game! This was the 1st Wii U title I 100%'d, great fun!

Pros:
    + Clever and imaginative level designs
    + Challenging and rewarding
    + nostalgic

Con:
    - multiplayer is a bit messy (but still fun!)
  4. Jan 20, 2015
    This is a game that is worth the money easily, just like the first one.

PROS
    -Graphics were HD
    -easy controls
    -Nice story
    -Fun gameplay

CONS
    -A little glitchy
  5. Jan 12, 2015
    I got New Super Mario Bros. U as a compilation when I purchased my Wii U. If you want to see my review of New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U, please look at that game's page.

New Super Mario Bros. U was a Wii U launch title that tried but didn't really use the GamePad well. Thankfully, it still has the genius level design like the rest of the New Super Mario series and cheerful art style that always keeps me coming back. One of the levels in Soda Jungle (styled like Van Gogh's Starry Night) is particularly beautiful.

The multiplayer from New Super Mario Bros. Wii is back and its as hectic as ever. It still doesn't really fit my definition of fun but I guess if you have nothing else to do, you should try it out. The Flying Squirrel Acorn is the new power-up in this game. It allows you glide and hang onto walls to hide from enemies. It's really unique and I'd like to see it return in a later Mario game.

Baby Yoshis also make a return. There are three types: bubble, light, and balloon. The bubble one, as you may have guessed, blows bubbles to trap enemies and turn them into coins. The light one can create a path for you in dark underground levels and the balloon one can help you get to higher places. The Baby Yoshis are a great addition to freshen up the gameplay. One of my few problems with Mario U is that when you get to World 6, there's an insane difficulty spike but that's mostly it.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. U is the best in the New Super Mario series and besides the lack of improvement in multiplayer and the difficulty spike, it's not anything you're going to want to miss.
  6. Jan 10, 2015
    This game is fun, but I'm giving this a low score for two reasons:

1) This game is basically the same as the original Wii game, just with different levels and a few slightly new features. 2) The whole reason that Luigi exists is because Nintendo needed a second character for 2-player NES games. They also created Waluigi out of thin-air solely because Wario needed a doubles partner in
    This game is fun, but I'm giving this a low score for two reasons:

2) The whole reason that Luigi exists is because Nintendo needed a second character for 2-player NES games. They also created Waluigi out of thin-air solely because Wario needed a doubles partner in Mario Tennis. So why on earth are we stuck playing with TWO Toads? Why hasn't Nintendo used this opportunity to introduce two new characters to join Mario and Luigi as the "stars" of the game?

Instead of giving us two brand new characters that could be spun off in a ton of other games (not to mention could help increase the character stable for sporting games; who else is sick of all these "baby" characters in Mario Kart? amiright?) they completely blow it and give us not one, but TWO, Toad characters. LAME

Oh well, if you've never played the original Wii game, then this would probably be a fun pickup. If you have played the original Wii game, there really is no reason to get this. It probably should have just been cheap DLC, since, again, it's basically the exact same game, just different levels.
  7. Dec 22, 2014
    The game isn't worse that other games in the Super Mario Bros. series but having all these other interesting games to play as well, I usually don't spend much more than 1 hour of continuous gameplay on that one without feeling like switching to one of the more deeply interesting games. It's a fun hour, but it gets boring after that... I like it that it is more challenging than the 3DS game though.
  8. Dec 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty good, innovative, and fun, although I wish the game-pad would count as a player, even though hang on SPOILER ALERT the princess gets captured again and is sent to bowser's new castle, if you ask this must have a great army of builders, he may as well just build a wall outside of his castle, but anyways this game is fun non the less it kinda needs a better story other than save the princess Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2014
    Wii U sale a la luz con un excelente juego de lanzamiento, este Mario supera al de Wii con mejores niveles, mas creativos, y ver a Mario por primera vez en HD, el OST es muy bueno y parece un Super Mario World HD, es un excelente juego, un Mario por excelencia, hermosos paisajes, mundos, y la batalla final es épica.

Lo único malo es que para ser un juego de Miyamoto y para Wii U no trae

Lo único malo es que para ser un juego de Miyamoto y para Wii U no trae nada de innovador con el game pad, poner plataformas te aburre después de jugar 2 niveles, muy pobre el uso de game pad. este juego es de 9.5 pero no puedo calificarlo así
  10. Nov 11, 2014
    Easily the best in the New Super Mario Bros series. Even though it offers almost nothing new, the beautiful graphics from the wii u and the fluent game play makes it easily the best.
  11. Oct 28, 2014
    A brilliantly polished 2D Mario title that doesn’t do much new, but doesn’t do much wrong either.

To start with I’d like to point out I’m hardly a 2D Mario expert, Mario 64 was my introduction to the series and my only real experience of 2D Mario games up until recently was the original Gameboy titles, I’m reliably informed those are outliers in the series. I very quickly found out that removing a dimension instantly made me rubbish at a game I’m usually good at and it took me a lot of practice to get good. Once I did however I started having a ball.

Visually it looks great, things popping out nicely in HD although if I’m going to be picky a little more vibrancy in the tone of 3D World would have been great.

The overworld is great and I’ve always liked the all levels fit a certain theme in the worlds approach, whether it be jungle, ice, or desert, there’s plenty of variety and I got a nice feeling of excitement on completing each world in anticipation of what the next world would be and how the levels were going to look. The individual levels are brilliantly designed too and all have some sort of level characteristic that isn’t repeated again making each level feel individual and ensuring that things never get repetitive, a rarity in the platformer world.

The gameplay - like the rest of the game - is polished to perfection with Mario’s mechanics feeling spot on, you feel in control despite his heavily momentum based mechanics. The difficulty curve is great and things get plenty challenging later in the game. The star coins add another level of difficulty for those who are up for the challenge.

Although I wasn’t compelled to collect all those star coins, doing so certainly adds length to a game that already has plenty of content. The star coins are very challenging at times and I found it too frustrating to go for them all but someone with more skill will likely enjoy the challenge and will be rewarded with some extra levels. I was more inclined to find the secret exits and their associated secret levels which I very much enjoyed. The secret levels were generally pretty short, but a lot of fun.

I hear that the music is basically recycled from all the previous ‘New Super Mario Bros.’ entries but as this is the first entry in the series I’ve played this didn’t bother me. I liked the music in general, it’s not amazing, but more than adequate although a little more variety would certainly have been welcome. I’m sure if you’ve played all the previous entries things will be starting to get a bit stale on the musical front by now at this point however and it’s a shame Nintendo didn’t put as much effort into the music as they clearly did the rest of the game.

The ability to play with 4 players is cool too, it’s certainly not the most optimal way to play the game, but a welcome addition nonetheless and I had a lot of fun playing co-op with a friend - even if I was losing lives like nobody’s business.

Overall this is a perfectly polished 2D Mario title with excellent and varied level design, a great overworld featuring plenty of secret exits, and plenty of content. The only things letting it down are the music, uninspired bosses, and how it doesn’t try much new. These nitpicks aside however it’s a brilliant polishing of a very enjoyable formula.
  12. Oct 27, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros. U offers the necessary stuff to be a honest and sufficient platformer, just don't demand challenge, new stuff or something like that.
  13. Oct 23, 2014
    The game not only comes free for many of the Wii U's skews, but it's also a valuable game still marketed at nearly full price today, because you just can't beat Nintendo quality. The side-scrolling adventure is fun with 1-5 players and has a very fast paced, methodical nature. It's worlds are vibrantly colored and varied, and the game has a lot to keep you coming back for more.
  14. Oct 3, 2014
    This is a great game but i think its time for Nintendo to move on from the "New Series" Like something that is as great as galaxay, mario 64 or even 3d world but i want the next mario to be even funner than them. Dont make another New series Mario game please Nintendo im begging you they are just to much of the same
  15. Sep 28, 2014
    While this game isn't bad, it still isn't very fun either. There is just too many reused assets that really bring this game down. The best part about this game is the world map, and everything else is just mediocre. The music sucks and the boss battles are lame. The graphics are the best of the "New" series, but that isn't saying much. The gameplay and controls, however, are actuallyWhile this game isn't bad, it still isn't very fun either. There is just too many reused assets that really bring this game down. The best part about this game is the world map, and everything else is just mediocre. The music sucks and the boss battles are lame. The graphics are the best of the "New" series, but that isn't saying much. The gameplay and controls, however, are actually pretty good. In the end, pick this game up in the bargain bin. It isn't worth more than $25. Expand
  16. Sep 5, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros U is a very familiar entry to the Mario bros lineup but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Visuals On the Wii U for SMB U look beautiful in HD, all of the worlds look vibrant and everything is crisp. As for Game-play the level designs are pretty good overall with some really good twist thrown into each world. the new suits they added to the game are greatNew Super Mario Bros U is a very familiar entry to the Mario bros lineup but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Visuals On the Wii U for SMB U look beautiful in HD, all of the worlds look vibrant and everything is crisp. As for Game-play the level designs are pretty good overall with some really good twist thrown into each world. the new suits they added to the game are great additions including the acorn suit and the ice flower suit, as well as the baby yoshi's which offer up different interesting ways to tackle a level. The game is pretty challenging and rewarding thanks to the very nice controls. it feels great on the game-pad to move around and is very responsive. The only gripe is that sometimes Mario is a bit slippery after a jump. As for Sound, The soundtrack isn't bad but it does get repetitive after awhile but im glad they kept some of the original stuff from previous games. Replay-ability isn't to good unfortunately, i completed the game in a couple of weeks and after that there isn't to much incentive to go back and give the levels another try except for the star coins which don't offer any reward.

Verdict- Super Mario Bros. U is a very Familiar game which is unfortunate at times because i want change sometimes but they stuck to the core formula and added enough changes where it doesn't feel like a repeat. the sound isn't bad but gets repetitive after awhile and the replay-ability isn't to great but the core game-play is still as fun as ever so if your a big Mario fan you should definitely pick this game up.
  17. Aug 16, 2014
    This is not another NSMB game. Instead, this is Mario 3 and Mario World combined, creating an amazing and memorable experience that makes this by far my favorite 2d Mario game (and yes I've played through world and 3, which are 2 and 3 respectively). The graphics and sound are great, and as the first hd Mario game the colors really "pop." The game is easy to pick up and play by anyone.This is not another NSMB game. Instead, this is Mario 3 and Mario World combined, creating an amazing and memorable experience that makes this by far my favorite 2d Mario game (and yes I've played through world and 3, which are 2 and 3 respectively). The graphics and sound are great, and as the first hd Mario game the colors really "pop." The game is easy to pick up and play by anyone. An obvious buy for fans of Nintendo's most famous franchise. Expand
  18. Jul 31, 2014
    It's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing awayIt's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing away enemies. It's certainly not the best Mario platformer, but it's a pretty good Wii U title. 9/10 Expand
  19. Jul 27, 2014
    I don't think this game deserves the rating this has. not the best mario game ever and DEFINITELY NOT AS GOOD AS ANY OF THE NES GAMES. the platforming feels so different to what I am used to. and sometimes mario just controls against you like not jumping as high as you want even though you KNOW he can jump that high. and no sprint button. how are you going to do speedruns when they tookI don't think this game deserves the rating this has. not the best mario game ever and DEFINITELY NOT AS GOOD AS ANY OF THE NES GAMES. the platforming feels so different to what I am used to. and sometimes mario just controls against you like not jumping as high as you want even though you KNOW he can jump that high. and no sprint button. how are you going to do speedruns when they took the sprint button out. and another thing, the game is $60!!!!! overpriced... get super luigi u's standalone disk. it is only $30 and is more optimized for speedruns. plus the disk has 82 all new levels Expand
  20. Jul 5, 2014
    One of the best Games on the Wii U , Graphics Look Stunning , Its Old School Mario at its Best , definitely worth picking up a wii u to play all the mario games so far , mario kart 8 , new super luigi , mario 3d world ...
  21. Jun 21, 2014
    I just finished the first player story mode and I have to say -- I am impressed! It was easy to learn, but difficult to master. Some levels I died more than I'd like to admit -- but I always got a chuckle reading other players' postings to miiverse. Overall, I'd give this a 10/10. Next up -- New Super Luigi U!!!
  22. May 2, 2014
    "It's a meeeee, a Mario for the trillionth a tiiiiime, only in a H a D a!!!!", said Mario. Nothing you haven't seen before, except for the HD part of it.
  23. Apr 11, 2014
    This is one of the most captivating innovative titles released in a long time. Much better than that "hardcore" cinematic dreck Sony and Microsoft release... Directed by Satouwa Iwata himself he brings you an absolutely incredible game running at 1080p/90FPS filled to the brim with personality and insane secrets that keep you coming back for more and more. Each enemy has a different designThis is one of the most captivating innovative titles released in a long time. Much better than that "hardcore" cinematic dreck Sony and Microsoft release... Directed by Satouwa Iwata himself he brings you an absolutely incredible game running at 1080p/90FPS filled to the brim with personality and insane secrets that keep you coming back for more and more. Each enemy has a different design to help you on your way and the story is so ground breaking... But I will not spoil!

The worlds are extremely creative and have never been done before in any medium. When have you've jumped on flying octopus monkeys in cyber space while chasing a yellow carrot? Never! That's what. The music... Man, I can't even explain just how well done that music is. Recorded in the same studio as Mario Galaxy it really boils the tension and mood the story takes as you rescue your lover from an evil satan-like demon and his hellspawn.

I cannot express it in words... Buy a Wii U and get this game. You will not regret it one bit! It's by far one of the most truly unique games and Mr. iwata himself ensured this... Don't waste your money on a Playstation 4 which has literally no games and just indies and an Xbox One which apparently steals your information. No! You gotta get this game with a Wii U.
  24. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge isThis game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge is just so dang satisfying. Expand
  25. Mar 14, 2014
    I'm trying to think of reasons why this game isn't a flawless 10/10 experience, and I am having a hard time doing so. This 2D platforming at it's finest. I'm amazed how how accessible this game is, too; a 5 year could play this and have a great time, yet a 25 year old can enjoy it just as much, maybe even more. Item collecting adds a great challenge (getting all of the star coins is aboutI'm trying to think of reasons why this game isn't a flawless 10/10 experience, and I am having a hard time doing so. This 2D platforming at it's finest. I'm amazed how how accessible this game is, too; a 5 year could play this and have a great time, yet a 25 year old can enjoy it just as much, maybe even more. Item collecting adds a great challenge (getting all of the star coins is about as difficult as any challenging game out there). Multiplayer is a ton of fun, but therein lies my only gripe with the game: trying to fit 4 players onto a small 2D world, let alone 2 players, presents its frustrating challenges. Many times I found myself launched into an infernal lava pit because I bumped into another player. MANY MANY TIMES. It's usually funny, but when you've played a hard level 20 times and keep dying because of bumping into other players while jumping...yeah, my one gripe. Otherwise, flawless 2D Mario fun! Expand
  26. Feb 21, 2014
    I beat it in only 2 days! It is a must play game. This time, it's really challenging. Best game of 2012 in my personal opinion. Better than Assassin's Creed 3.
  27. Feb 8, 2014
    Let's sum-up my feelings about this game, considering i had New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Positive: -Graphics *-* ! I really find myself looking at the decor and saying it's beautiful. -It still pleasant and funny ! -There are some new interesting mechanics -The baby yoshis is a nice add -Catching Nabbit is quite easy but adds a bit more challenge -The new games in the toad houses

-It still pleasant and funny !
    -There are some new interesting mechanics
    -The baby yoshis is a nice add
    -Catching Nabbit is quite easy but adds a bit more challenge
    -The new games in the toad houses

-It may be me but i had the feeling the levels were quite short
    -It's much easier if you already experienced super mario bros on Wii, and it feels more like a New super mario bros Wii 2 than a brand new game
    -Indeed, more innovation wouldn't have be bad

That's almost all i have to say. In conclusion, it's a really nice game, but i suggest that if you're hesitating between this game and another platformer (like DKtropical freeze which is coming soon), you'd better buy the other game. Yep, i'd put Mario Bros U as a secondary game for Wii U even if it's very good !
    Also, i mut precise that i bought it with New Super Luigi U (which i didn't experienced yet) and i think it has the capacity (with what i saw from it) to offset New Super Mario Bros. U problems. One last thing, i suggest you buy the version with NSLU included, it's cheaper from what i saw.
  28. Feb 6, 2014
    one of best mario games but has abit moments that didnt impress me
    one when you lose and havent had ask for save you start back were you last save untill you get that point
    the boss fight feel like same one to me like the wii version
    grate lo co multplayer of all and using the gamepad to stop a platform from losing
  29. Jan 13, 2014
    This game is so much fun to play. This is one of the best side scrolling platformer's around today. The graphics are very colourful and fun to look at and the variety in environments is very nice as well. Using the different power ups is as fun as ever. The difficulty is just right and for people who may be less skilled there is a super guide mode where the game shows you how to getThis game is so much fun to play. This is one of the best side scrolling platformer's around today. The graphics are very colourful and fun to look at and the variety in environments is very nice as well. Using the different power ups is as fun as ever. The difficulty is just right and for people who may be less skilled there is a super guide mode where the game shows you how to get through or level or you can just let it do it for you instead so it doesn't get too frustrating.

There's not much else to say really this is good old Mario, the gameplay just gets better and better...
  30. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is fun, but it is not as good as the Wii version. The game looks great in HD, is loads of fun in co-op and the levels are well designed. However, this game gets very boring after beating the main campaign and there are very few levels that are worth repeating. But the game is enjoyable, just not a must own.

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.