8.0

1. Apr 11, 2014
    This is one of the most captivating innovative titles released in a long time. Much better than that "hardcore" cinematic dreck Sony and Microsoft release... Directed by Satouwa Iwata himself he brings you an absolutely incredible game running at 1080p/90FPS filled to the brim with personality and insane secrets that keep you coming back for more and more. Each enemy has a different design to help you on your way and the story is so ground breaking... But I will not spoil!

The worlds are extremely creative and have never been done before in any medium. When have you've jumped on flying octopus monkeys in cyber space while chasing a yellow carrot? Never! That's what. The music... Man, I can't even explain just how well done that music is. Recorded in the same studio as Mario Galaxy it really boils the tension and mood the story takes as you rescue your lover from an evil satan-like demon and his hellspawn.

I cannot express it in words... Buy a Wii U and get this game. You will not regret it one bit! It's by far one of the most truly unique games and Mr. iwata himself ensured this... Don't waste your money on a Playstation 4 which has literally no games and just indies and an Xbox One which apparently steals your information. No! You gotta get this game with a Wii U.
  2. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge is just so dang satisfying. Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    I'm trying to think of reasons why this game isn't a flawless 10/10 experience, and I am having a hard time doing so. This 2D platforming at it's finest. I'm amazed how how accessible this game is, too; a 5 year could play this and have a great time, yet a 25 year old can enjoy it just as much, maybe even more. Item collecting adds a great challenge (getting all of the star coins is about as difficult as any challenging game out there). Multiplayer is a ton of fun, but therein lies my only gripe with the game: trying to fit 4 players onto a small 2D world, let alone 2 players, presents its frustrating challenges. Many times I found myself launched into an infernal lava pit because I bumped into another player. MANY MANY TIMES. It's usually funny, but when you've played a hard level 20 times and keep dying because of bumping into other players while jumping...yeah, my one gripe. Otherwise, flawless 2D Mario fun! Expand
  4. Feb 21, 2014
    I beat it in only 2 days! It is a must play game. This time, it's really challenging. Best game of 2012 in my personal opinion. Better than Assassin's Creed 3.
  5. Feb 8, 2014
    Let's sum-up my feelings about this game, considering i had New Super Mario Bros. Wii Positive: -Graphics *-* ! I really find myself looking at the decor and saying it's beautiful. -It still pleasant and funny ! -There are some new interesting mechanics -The baby yoshis is a nice add -Catching Nabbit is quite easy but adds a bit more challenge -The new games in the toad houses

-It may be me but i had the feeling the levels were quite short
    -It's much easier if you already experienced super mario bros on Wii, and it feels more like a New super mario bros Wii 2 than a brand new game
    -Indeed, more innovation wouldn't have be bad

That's almost all i have to say. In conclusion, it's a really nice game, but i suggest that if you're hesitating between this game and another platformer (like DKtropical freeze which is coming soon), you'd better buy the other game. Yep, i'd put Mario Bros U as a secondary game for Wii U even if it's very good !
    Also, i mut precise that i bought it with New Super Luigi U (which i didn't experienced yet) and i think it has the capacity (with what i saw from it) to offset New Super Mario Bros. U problems. One last thing, i suggest you buy the version with NSLU included, it's cheaper from what i saw.
  6. Feb 6, 2014
    one of best mario games but has abit moments that didnt impress me
    one when you lose and havent had ask for save you start back were you last save untill you get that point
    the boss fight feel like same one to me like the wii version
    grate lo co multplayer of all and using the gamepad to stop a platform from losing
  7. Jan 13, 2014
    This game is so much fun to play. This is one of the best side scrolling platformer's around today. The graphics are very colourful and fun to look at and the variety in environments is very nice as well. Using the different power ups is as fun as ever. The difficulty is just right and for people who may be less skilled there is a super guide mode where the game shows you how to get through or level or you can just let it do it for you instead so it doesn't get too frustrating.

There's not much else to say really this is good old Mario, the gameplay just gets better and better...
  8. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is fun, but it is not as good as the Wii version. The game looks great in HD, is loads of fun in co-op and the levels are well designed. However, this game gets very boring after beating the main campaign and there are very few levels that are worth repeating. But the game is enjoyable, just not a must own.
  9. Jan 5, 2014
    This was just a great fun little game to play. The art style and music is top notch. The only reason I didn't score this games higher was the total length and difficulty. This game will only take you about 5-6hrs. to beat and the level difficulty is so easy a 5 year old can play (they did that on purpose so they can). This is a great start to Mario in HD hopefully some tougher games come in the future.

PS.
    The homage to old school Mario at the end was awesome
  10. Dec 22, 2013
    A very fun game to play. HD graphics and very detailed. Crisp sound. The thing is that it is the same thing OVER and OVER again, but still, great game and fun to play.
  11. Dec 7, 2013
    When I played New super Mario Bros 2, I was worried Nintendo had run out of new ideas, but New super Mario Bros U has proved me wrong. This is not as good as the Mario Bros DS and Wii, but it comes close. The world map is all connected, a bit like Mario World, but it's not really different from the world maps in the other mario games. Mranwhile, the levels are fantastic, full of creativity, challenge, and great design. Almost every level was cleverly designed, and the perfect difficulty balance. Especially the last three worlds were challenging, but super guide is usually there to help out noobs. Multiplayer makes it yet crazier. Some may not like multoplayer but I do. It is annoying though when the screen freezes mid-jump while someone else is collecting a power-up. That is a stupid idea. But the game doen't end there. There is also challenge mode, which contains about sixty challenges, each of which tasks you with a specific aim, eg speedrun a level, or bounce on bullet bills withput touching the ground to earn sixty 1-ups. Even the easier challrnges could have you failing many times, and the hardest could possibly have you dying hundreds of times. Challenge mode is a fantastic addition. There are also boost rush modes and coin battle. But how does nsmbu make use of the gamepad? The answer is boost mode, in which players use wiimotes, and an additional player places blocks using the gamepad. Is it fun? No- it's as creative as it sounds. But despite not using the gamepad in a good way, NSMBU is a fantastic mario game. Expand
  12. Dec 3, 2013
    I just recently bought a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U. This has been the most poorly constructed Mario game that I can remember. I enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. This new Wii U version is the EXACT same thing. The graphics look identical and the game play feels identical. If anything, this game is less creative than the former version. New Super Mario Bros U is a fast cash grabbing solution to a struggling console. Expand
  13. Nov 24, 2013
    This is a great looking update to the traditional Mario format, which has always been a favourite with my kids. My son brought his friends home from school to play it on the day our new Wii U arrived. Cue 3 hours of non-stop shrieks of enjoyment!

It doesn't really show off the Gamepad's features as well as some other Wii-U games, and my youngest beat the game on single player mode
    within a couple of weeks (he is a particularly adept player, though) The co-op feature is where it shines, I think, and judging by all the grinning faces, this game is a solid hit. Expand
  14. Nov 24, 2013
    This is the best 2.D. Super Mario since Super Mario Bros. 3. While it may seem like a simple 2.D. platform game, New Super Mario Bros. U is the true sequel to Super Mario World which was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. While there is a lack of the lovable green dinosaur in this game in comparison to Super Mario World, gimmicks which made that game great happen to make this an amazing platform game. There is a severe lack of wanting to replay this game...and it's a shame. Worth a buy if you're a fan of Super Mario. Expand
  15. Nov 23, 2013
    Mario takes his first step on Wii U, and as expected, it's fantastic. This game has the same great polish that we would expect from Nintendo, keeping everything familiar while building on it with some new mechanics. With 4 titles with the New Super Mario Bros, they are starting to outstay their welcome though.

In a nice change of events, you don't start the game near the castle, but
    are rather blasted away into a forest. Also, they changed around the music, but keep the same ah's and what not in the soundtrack. This aesthetic change from the previous games are very short-lived and you quickly find that you've gone through the same exact kind of levels in the previous 3 NSMB's. As a result, you wonder how much of it's actually new and how much of it's recycled.

Nevertheless, this game offers many unique challenges that really encourage you to flex your platforming muscles, tempting you to try different things likely at your own peril. That's what I've always loved about Mario though. Furthermore, there seem to be a much larger amount of hidden secrets and pathways that also encourage you to try and go into every pipe possible and to seek out every challenge. These things are no less enjoyable today as it was yesterday.

As a completionist, the game kept me satisfied with the star coins littered throughout the levels and plenty of challenges in the post game.

Overall, I came out satisfied with the game, but with 4 NSMB titles, the content is feeling more and more recycled, and it may be a time for a change.
  16. Nov 15, 2013
    In my opinion New Super Mario Bros. U is The Best 2D Mario Game Ever Made! Take it from someone who loved super mario world and still plays it. NSMBU has it beat. Level are fun and get pretty challenging. the multiplayer changes the game in a cool way. not to mention the Challenge modes will keep you coming back for for! I'm glad nintendo started packing this game in with the system, cause it is a system seller like super Mario World was! Expand
  17. Oct 30, 2013
    Great game, been a console gamer without a wii, I haven't played a 2D mario game since the snes years. Beautiful game, one of the best 2D platformers out there. Maybe the only modern platformer that really works well. Great job nintendo with the level design. Too bad too many 2D mario games in 2 years, spoiled this game for many.
  18. Oct 19, 2013
    While not as fun as New Super Mario Bros Wii its still a good game that has some unique levels, some good music and some of the backgrounds look gorgeous.
  19. Oct 19, 2013
    *Yaawwwwn*
    Just another game in the series. Same exact thing as all the other 2D games. No exploration, same cookie-cutter game. There's still no variation, and Nintendo is just relying on nostalgia at this point. If you like simple, linear, games, you might enjoy this if you're not sick of it already. If you liked Mario 64, Galaxy, or Sunshine better, skip this and wait for Nintendo to
    do something new. That said, the game was playable. I couldnt bring myself to finish it, though, because I got bored really fast. The graphics are amazing and I would be delighted to see what they could do with a Galaxy-ish game, but the music was sub-par compared to Nintendo's usual. Gameplay, of course, I already went over, but it was generally really boring. Each level would sometimes look cool but after dying twice you're no longer interested. Expand
  20. Oct 17, 2013
    New Super Mario Brothers U is a good Wii U game, but it does the same as the rest of the games in the series. It plays the same, it looks the same, and the music is the same. With Mario being in HD the game looks amazing. The story is also the same Bowser stole Peach. Mario, Luigi, and the two nameless go and stop Bowser's plan, but now Mario and the other are thrown out of the castle and Mario and the other must get to the castle. It still has the Four-player Co-op and the controls are the same as from the past New Mario Bros games. The Wii U gamepad is use to play on it alone and use in the new boost rush mode which lets the player to places blocks on the level and help with enemy. The New Super Mario Bros. Series is staring to get old and I wish Nintendo would just change the series to something different. I would recommend this to any Super Mario fan or to any Wii U owner. Expand
  21. Sep 30, 2013
    I remember when new mario games by Nintendo EAD were always genre defying AAA epics. It literally feels like i've beaten this game before and it literally feels like Nintendo is lazier than ever.

Too lazy to go with a 4th character instead using a color palette swapped toad, too lazy for actual minibosses reminicent of the yoshis island series, to lazy to put any real heart into their
    new mario games instead pimping out a cheap SUB-PAR completely acceptable standard product unlike in the olden days before wii fit, wii sports, wii play, and wii party when nintendo actually thought they had to put effort and content into their games for them to sell. Expand
  22. Sep 24, 2013
    There is very little in this game that I would consider to be "new", nonetheless, it is an expertly crafted experience with truly excellent platforming and level design that only Nintendo can create. Existing fans of the series already know what they are getting into and should be quite content with its offering.
  23. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is fine, but can get boring very easily. Most of the levels are okay. The game should have added more things. The challenge mode is good. The game to me is a little below average in quality to me. That means It's good, but not extremely good.
  24. Sep 5, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in the Wii U Library and is a must for all Mario fans that own a Wii U. Though the game isn't that different from it's previous titles like New Super Mario Bros Wii. however the game is still filled with some new features like challenge mode and the Game Pad's features that include helping players out by adding platforms and the interactive Boost mode (which sadly I haven't tried out yet due to that I wanted to play the game by myself). It may be a bit disappointing that Nintendo played it safe once again but this is still a solid Mario Title despite that. Expand
  25. Aug 19, 2013
    Great game. Yes, it is an old formula, but still a amazing one. It looks beautiful in HD and the challenges make a great bonus. The multiplayer with gamepad feels a little like cheating, but even with that the game can be challenging sometimes.
  26. Aug 9, 2013
    Definitely worth getting. I remember painstakingly making my way through Super Mario Bros on my NES, the frustration, the family/group fun, the regular passing of controllers at every death, the insisting you hit the jump button way before Mario fell to his death. ALL of that is in this game, and more. Multiplayer is awesome. I beat the game with 3 players(myself, my friend, and his wife) over the course of a few binge weekends, and we all felt so accomplished. Honestly the first Mario game i have beaten, and it wasn't easy, but it was worth it. Looking forward to Luigi. Expand
  27. Jul 30, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros U is a blast HD gameplay of the funest on wii u ever of a adventure also new items such as squirrel form propellering and penguin suit
  28. Jul 23, 2013
    I had fun playing New Super Mario U and this is really all that matters. The game has the bright and cheerful animation that we all have come to expect from any Mario games. It has great responsive controls, and a decent variety of levels. As always, at least in recent years, each level has 3 star coins to collect. Whether or not you choose to get each and every one will greatly effect how long it takes you to play the game. If you skip the star coins or just use a guide to get them then your play through will be pretty fast. What I did was make a legitimate attempt to get each star coin on my own. If I couldn't find one I would just skip it and move on. Then at the very end I came back using a guide and picked up everything I missed. Of the 240+ star coins there were only 5 or so I ended up using a guide for and of the secret exits I found half on my own. Using that system It took me a while to beat the game.

So why didn't I give the game a 10?

1. I found the game too easy, and that did take a little of the enjoyment away.

2. Yoshi and especially baby Yoshi feel like they were tacked on at the very end. Neither were important to any level as all could be beaten without a Yoshi. They were also used so rarely that they just seem out of place. By comparison Yoshi was a major part of Mario World with level catered around him. They really should have done the same with mario u.

3. The game played it too safe. It didn't innovate the franchise at all. Not in level design, not in power ups, not in anything. The few parts that were interesting were all shown in advance to the game launching so they didn't even have the impact they could have had.

4. I don't like the world map. Everything connecting everywhere makes it too hard to replay each level. A secret exit will create a long track leading to a secret level. If you want to replay the game using your existing game file it makes for A very schizophrenic experience with paths constantly leading away.

5. I found the music disappointing. Mario games usually have a great soundtrack but the tracks in Mario u were bland and uninspired. This actually is my biggest gripe with the game.

To be clear none of these problems ruins the experience of the game. Its still fun and its definitely worth picking up. They just prevent it from being a Masterpiece
  29. Jul 23, 2013
    Like most Mario games, they are very similar to each other, and in this case, it's once again the same. Though the Wii U gaming console does offer a new gadgets to help the Wii Remote player, nothing is very new in the game. Despite this, the game is very fun and enjoyable to play, and I recommend it for on the Wii U.
  30. Jul 20, 2013
    New Super Mario U Bros is one of the best 'NSM', but not necessarily the best 'Mario' game. While the challenge level is just right, it is meant to be a homage of sort to SMB 3 and Super Mario World. As such, level designs, as original as they are, are derivative of these superior outings. Face it though, it is not the system seller that Nintendo thought it could be. It doesn't really show off the Game Pad as well. Expand

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.