8.0

1. Jan 23, 2013
    Don't think that this is "Just another Mario game", sure it's the same 2D side-scrolling gameplay that are in the other 2D Mario games but the fantastic level design and challenge help this game feel fresh. The game looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic (although it's not as good as other Mario games). As far as Wii U features go aside from using the touch screen in the menu youDon't think that this is "Just another Mario game", sure it's the same 2D side-scrolling gameplay that are in the other 2D Mario games but the fantastic level design and challenge help this game feel fresh. The game looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic (although it's not as good as other Mario games). As far as Wii U features go aside from using the touch screen in the menu you can play the entire game on the gamepad, but the game looks so good on the big screen nobody will blame you if you never look at the pad, it's helpful on bathroom breaks though. The only real use for the gamepad functionality is in multiplayer. You can have the gamepad player place blocks onscreen to jump on which can really save your bacon on some of the more difficult levels. Multiplayer is at it's best when it's two players and one of them is using the gamepad, get more than two together and the game turns into a chaotic, albeit humorous, mess. To play this game with more than two people and actually make some progress you need to communicate, or else game time can turn into fight night. The game packs a lot of content not only do you have the lengthy story mode you also have various challenge modes which will keep you playing after you beat the story mode. The only real issue I have with this game is the amount of recycled bosses, I swear I fought the same boss at least half a dozen times. If your a Mario fan, 2D platformer fan, or just like good, challenging games than you should really consider picking this up. Expand
  2. Jul 20, 2013
    New Super Mario U Bros is one of the best 'NSM', but not necessarily the best 'Mario' game. While the challenge level is just right, it is meant to be a homage of sort to SMB 3 and Super Mario World. As such, level designs, as original as they are, are derivative of these superior outings. Face it though, it is not the system seller that Nintendo thought it could be. It doesn't reallyNew Super Mario U Bros is one of the best 'NSM', but not necessarily the best 'Mario' game. While the challenge level is just right, it is meant to be a homage of sort to SMB 3 and Super Mario World. As such, level designs, as original as they are, are derivative of these superior outings. Face it though, it is not the system seller that Nintendo thought it could be. It doesn't really show off the Game Pad as well. Expand
  3. Jul 23, 2013
    Like most Mario games, they are very similar to each other, and in this case, it's once again the same. Though the Wii U gaming console does offer a new gadgets to help the Wii Remote player, nothing is very new in the game. Despite this, the game is very fun and enjoyable to play, and I recommend it for on the Wii U.
  4. Oct 23, 2014
    The game not only comes free for many of the Wii U's skews, but it's also a valuable game still marketed at nearly full price today, because you just can't beat Nintendo quality. The side-scrolling adventure is fun with 1-5 players and has a very fast paced, methodical nature. It's worlds are vibrantly colored and varied, and the game has a lot to keep you coming back for more.
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    It's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing awayIt's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing away enemies. It's certainly not the best Mario platformer, but it's a pretty good Wii U title. 9/10 Expand
  6. Oct 19, 2013
    While not as fun as New Super Mario Bros Wii its still a good game that has some unique levels, some good music and some of the backgrounds look gorgeous.
  7. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is fun, but it is not as good as the Wii version. The game looks great in HD, is loads of fun in co-op and the levels are well designed. However, this game gets very boring after beating the main campaign and there are very few levels that are worth repeating. But the game is enjoyable, just not a must own.
  8. Dec 7, 2013
    When I played New super Mario Bros 2, I was worried Nintendo had run out of new ideas, but New super Mario Bros U has proved me wrong. This is not as good as the Mario Bros DS and Wii, but it comes close. The world map is all connected, a bit like Mario World, but it's not really different from the world maps in the other mario games. Mranwhile, the levels are fantastic, full ofWhen I played New super Mario Bros 2, I was worried Nintendo had run out of new ideas, but New super Mario Bros U has proved me wrong. This is not as good as the Mario Bros DS and Wii, but it comes close. The world map is all connected, a bit like Mario World, but it's not really different from the world maps in the other mario games. Mranwhile, the levels are fantastic, full of creativity, challenge, and great design. Almost every level was cleverly designed, and the perfect difficulty balance. Especially the last three worlds were challenging, but super guide is usually there to help out noobs. Multiplayer makes it yet crazier. Some may not like multoplayer but I do. It is annoying though when the screen freezes mid-jump while someone else is collecting a power-up. That is a stupid idea. But the game doen't end there. There is also challenge mode, which contains about sixty challenges, each of which tasks you with a specific aim, eg speedrun a level, or bounce on bullet bills withput touching the ground to earn sixty 1-ups. Even the easier challrnges could have you failing many times, and the hardest could possibly have you dying hundreds of times. Challenge mode is a fantastic addition. There are also boost rush modes and coin battle. But how does nsmbu make use of the gamepad? The answer is boost mode, in which players use wiimotes, and an additional player places blocks using the gamepad. Is it fun? No- it's as creative as it sounds. But despite not using the gamepad in a good way, NSMBU is a fantastic mario game. Expand
  9. Feb 6, 2014
    one of best mario games but has abit moments that didnt impress me
    one when you lose and havent had ask for save you start back were you last save untill you get that point
    the boss fight feel like same one to me like the wii version
    grate lo co multplayer of all and using the gamepad to stop a platform from losing
  10. May 2, 2014
    "It's a meeeee, a Mario for the trillionth a tiiiiime, only in a H a D a!!!!", said Mario. Nothing you haven't seen before, except for the HD part of it.
  11. Jun 27, 2013
    As you should know by mereling reading the game's name, New Super Mario Bros U is more of the same 2D platforming magic that started making waves more than 25 years ago.

As the first Mario adventure on the Wii U, it adds the allure of HD graphics for the first time in the franchise's history. It also cleverly brings back a more fluid overworld, in the style of SNES classic Super Mario World, and it's incredible how that change alone manages to push the sense of immersion way past the 3DS counterpart, New Super Mario Bros 2.

Aside from that, there is little true innovation here. We get a new power up that transforms Mario into a flying squirrel, but it packs a sense of déjà-vu thanks to the classic raccoon suit. There's a new character as well, the rabbit-like thief Nabbit, who should pack enough charm to keep showing up in future Mario-related games.

As much as I would like to be blown away by a super-novel Mario 2D adventure, though, it's hard to complain much about this game. Fans of the genre should be satisfied with the tried-and-true action sequences, and should spend quite a few hours looking for star coins and secret exits. Aside from the main story mode, you should find plenty of extra challenges here as well, both for single-player and multiplayer experiences. And yes, getting to play with your own Mii is priceless.

Especially given the lack of new releases for the Wii U, New Super Mario Bros U should be a part of pretty much every early collection for the platform.
  12. Jun 2, 2013
    Without a doubt, this is the best New Mario game ever. It blows every other game in the New Mario series out of the water. it has great level design, gorgeous graphics, and fun gameplay, i believe this is the best 2D Mario game since Mario World.
  13. Feb 18, 2013
    2D mario in its absolute basic, fantastic form. not alot added, not alot taken away, just straight foward, bang on, 2d platforming. And i woulndt have it any other way. It does bother me a bit that all of the new super mario bros. games are so damn similair, but i would definitely say this game is the best in the series. some new locations, some old revisted locations, new powerups, and2D mario in its absolute basic, fantastic form. not alot added, not alot taken away, just straight foward, bang on, 2d platforming. And i woulndt have it any other way. It does bother me a bit that all of the new super mario bros. games are so damn similair, but i would definitely say this game is the best in the series. some new locations, some old revisted locations, new powerups, and new multiplayer and challenge options. nintendo knew the simple phrase "if its not broken, dont fix it" and it applies so well to this game. It would have been nice to see somthing brand new with mario's launch on the wii u, but this game is just fine. I have alot of fond christmas day memories of playing this, and its by far one of my favorite Wii U games. This is 2d mario done best, good graphics, good music, memorable set pieces, lousy story (which doesnt really apply to this game, as mario isnt built around a story), but as the first and foremost, fun gameplay. and the gameplay is where it counts. i found the twist of being thrown away and needing to work your way back to the castle to be interesting. I would reccomend this to any mario fan, platforming fan, or wii u owner. A great representation of with whats to come with mario in the near future! Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    Mario takes his first step on Wii U, and as expected, it's fantastic. This game has the same great polish that we would expect from Nintendo, keeping everything familiar while building on it with some new mechanics. With 4 titles with the New Super Mario Bros, they are starting to outstay their welcome though.

In a nice change of events, you don't start the game near the castle, but

In a nice change of events, you don't start the game near the castle, but are rather blasted away into a forest. Also, they changed around the music, but keep the same ah's and what not in the soundtrack. This aesthetic change from the previous games are very short-lived and you quickly find that you've gone through the same exact kind of levels in the previous 3 NSMB's. As a result, you wonder how much of it's actually new and how much of it's recycled.

Nevertheless, this game offers many unique challenges that really encourage you to flex your platforming muscles, tempting you to try different things likely at your own peril. That's what I've always loved about Mario though. Furthermore, there seem to be a much larger amount of hidden secrets and pathways that also encourage you to try and go into every pipe possible and to seek out every challenge. These things are no less enjoyable today as it was yesterday.

As a completionist, the game kept me satisfied with the star coins littered throughout the levels and plenty of challenges in the post game.

Overall, I came out satisfied with the game, but with 4 NSMB titles, the content is feeling more and more recycled, and it may be a time for a change.
  15. Jan 18, 2013
    With Mario you know what your getting a fun side scrolling adventure which you can now play with your friends. I haven't tried it with the gamepad 5th player but it sounds like a good enough idea. I find this game plays best with 2 players as 4 can make it a pain. I like that we are back to one huge world instead of 8 seperate ones (like back in Super Nintendo days) They have added someWith Mario you know what your getting a fun side scrolling adventure which you can now play with your friends. I haven't tried it with the gamepad 5th player but it sounds like a good enough idea. I find this game plays best with 2 players as 4 can make it a pain. I like that we are back to one huge world instead of 8 seperate ones (like back in Super Nintendo days) They have added some new game modes and twists to the standard formula ( like the races and chasing a guy through the levels) I don't feel liked Nintendo just dusted off the last version and game it an HD ungrade. My only complaint is that you can't play online co-op. There is no good reason for this. (Little Big Planet) and I think it would really make this a perfect game. Expand
  16. Jan 5, 2014
    This was just a great fun little game to play. The art style and music is top notch. The only reason I didn't score this games higher was the total length and difficulty. This game will only take you about 5-6hrs. to beat and the level difficulty is so easy a 5 year old can play (they did that on purpose so they can). This is a great start to Mario in HD hopefully some tougher games comeThis was just a great fun little game to play. The art style and music is top notch. The only reason I didn't score this games higher was the total length and difficulty. This game will only take you about 5-6hrs. to beat and the level difficulty is so easy a 5 year old can play (they did that on purpose so they can). This is a great start to Mario in HD hopefully some tougher games come in the future.

PS.
    The homage to old school Mario at the end was awesome
  17. Oct 28, 2014
    A brilliantly polished 2D Mario title that doesn’t do much new, but doesn’t do much wrong either.

To start with I’d like to point out I’m hardly a 2D Mario expert, Mario 64 was my introduction to the series and my only real experience of 2D Mario games up until recently was the original Gameboy titles, I’m reliably informed those are outliers in the series. I very quickly found out that removing a dimension instantly made me rubbish at a game I’m usually good at and it took me a lot of practice to get good. Once I did however I started having a ball.

Visually it looks great, things popping out nicely in HD although if I’m going to be picky a little more vibrancy in the tone of 3D World would have been great.

The overworld is great and I’ve always liked the all levels fit a certain theme in the worlds approach, whether it be jungle, ice, or desert, there’s plenty of variety and I got a nice feeling of excitement on completing each world in anticipation of what the next world would be and how the levels were going to look. The individual levels are brilliantly designed too and all have some sort of level characteristic that isn’t repeated again making each level feel individual and ensuring that things never get repetitive, a rarity in the platformer world.

The gameplay - like the rest of the game - is polished to perfection with Mario’s mechanics feeling spot on, you feel in control despite his heavily momentum based mechanics. The difficulty curve is great and things get plenty challenging later in the game. The star coins add another level of difficulty for those who are up for the challenge.

Although I wasn’t compelled to collect all those star coins, doing so certainly adds length to a game that already has plenty of content. The star coins are very challenging at times and I found it too frustrating to go for them all but someone with more skill will likely enjoy the challenge and will be rewarded with some extra levels. I was more inclined to find the secret exits and their associated secret levels which I very much enjoyed. The secret levels were generally pretty short, but a lot of fun.

I hear that the music is basically recycled from all the previous ‘New Super Mario Bros.’ entries but as this is the first entry in the series I’ve played this didn’t bother me. I liked the music in general, it’s not amazing, but more than adequate although a little more variety would certainly have been welcome. I’m sure if you’ve played all the previous entries things will be starting to get a bit stale on the musical front by now at this point however and it’s a shame Nintendo didn’t put as much effort into the music as they clearly did the rest of the game.

The ability to play with 4 players is cool too, it’s certainly not the most optimal way to play the game, but a welcome addition nonetheless and I had a lot of fun playing co-op with a friend - even if I was losing lives like nobody’s business.

Overall this is a perfectly polished 2D Mario title with excellent and varied level design, a great overworld featuring plenty of secret exits, and plenty of content. The only things letting it down are the music, uninspired bosses, and how it doesn’t try much new. These nitpicks aside however it’s a brilliant polishing of a very enjoyable formula.
  18. Jun 22, 2013
    It's amazing to see Mario in HD, plus it's quite interesting the idea of ​​a unified world and complete full integration with Miiverse. The idea of not being able to use the Wii U GamePad for anything in single player mode is a little bit disappointing and would have been better if in the multiplayer mode, a player could control a character. Overall, not the best Mario game, but if theIt's amazing to see Mario in HD, plus it's quite interesting the idea of ​​a unified world and complete full integration with Miiverse. The idea of not being able to use the Wii U GamePad for anything in single player mode is a little bit disappointing and would have been better if in the multiplayer mode, a player could control a character. Overall, not the best Mario game, but if the best game of Wii U so far. Expand
  19. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge isThis game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge is just so dang satisfying. Expand
  20. Dec 24, 2012
    If you have ever played a Mario game, you already know what this game is. It has the same core as mario did, but this game adds new mechanics throughout the game to stop it from being a redesigned New Super Mario Bros. The new concepts, like the falling head statues, are welcome and make this one of the bet games Mario has to offer. If you put all nostalgia aside, and look at this game asIf you have ever played a Mario game, you already know what this game is. It has the same core as mario did, but this game adds new mechanics throughout the game to stop it from being a redesigned New Super Mario Bros. The new concepts, like the falling head statues, are welcome and make this one of the bet games Mario has to offer. If you put all nostalgia aside, and look at this game as a single release for quality, you'll know that this is one of Mario's best adventures thus far. If your looking for some redemption on New Super Mario Bros 2, this game is it. It shines as a diamond in the pile of similar mario games. If you enjoy good fun games, treat yourself to this game. Expand
  21. Mar 11, 2013
    This game does not just remake new super mario bros it revamps it. Sure it may not be perfect but no game is and this game truily feels like the perfect 2d mario game with good challange, gameplay, diffrent modes, wii u multiplayer/touch control, online, and the hd with a classic mario feel.
  22. Mar 14, 2013
    At this point you know what you are getting into when you play a 2D Mario game, Perfect controls with some of the most fun platforming gameplay whether you are alone or playing co-op, I think this is the best of the "New Super Mario Bros." series with nice crisp graphics, excellent gameplay and some fun power-ups and some of the best platforming level design out there, It doesn't changeAt this point you know what you are getting into when you play a 2D Mario game, Perfect controls with some of the most fun platforming gameplay whether you are alone or playing co-op, I think this is the best of the "New Super Mario Bros." series with nice crisp graphics, excellent gameplay and some fun power-ups and some of the best platforming level design out there, It doesn't change the design of the game a lot, but it perfects it and as one of the launch titles for Wii U it does a good job as the first HD Mario game. That's not forgetting the fact that you get Challenge modes, Boost Rush mode and tons of content to do after the main game is complete including star coin hunting and much more, This will keep you playing for a long while and it is probably the best launch title for the Wii U. Expand
  23. Feb 21, 2014
    I beat it in only 2 days! It is a must play game. This time, it's really challenging. Best game of 2012 in my personal opinion. Better than Assassin's Creed 3.
  24. Nov 24, 2013
    This is the best 2.D. Super Mario since Super Mario Bros. 3. While it may seem like a simple 2.D. platform game, New Super Mario Bros. U is the true sequel to Super Mario World which was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. While there is a lack of the lovable green dinosaur in this game in comparison to Super Mario World, gimmicks which made that game great happen to make this anThis is the best 2.D. Super Mario since Super Mario Bros. 3. While it may seem like a simple 2.D. platform game, New Super Mario Bros. U is the true sequel to Super Mario World which was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. While there is a lack of the lovable green dinosaur in this game in comparison to Super Mario World, gimmicks which made that game great happen to make this an amazing platform game. There is a severe lack of wanting to replay this game...and it's a shame. Worth a buy if you're a fan of Super Mario. Expand
  25. Jun 21, 2013
    The best 2D mario yet, but I think 2D mario has had it's day. A lot of the stuff is the same thing we've seen a million times before. However crisps HD graphics and the co-op gameplay involving the gamepad make it a good game worht playing.
  26. Nov 28, 2012
    So basically this game is all the good stuff you liked about Mario when you were a kid, when you were a teen, and now if you're an adult like me, all the stuff you would hope to see. It's basically waay good graphics and gameplay, music and some cute storylines, packed into a promising new console. yeh
  27. Nov 18, 2012
    There is really nothing to say here. If you like 2-D Mario you are gonna like this. It looks great in HD even though some of the backgrounds are a tad boring, the control is fine but it in a 2-D Mario game. The multiplyer which I have only played with one other person is decent but not a big game changer. Actually it feels like a cheat when someone puts up a pad for you. I like the modeThere is really nothing to say here. If you like 2-D Mario you are gonna like this. It looks great in HD even though some of the backgrounds are a tad boring, the control is fine but it in a 2-D Mario game. The multiplyer which I have only played with one other person is decent but not a big game changer. Actually it feels like a cheat when someone puts up a pad for you. I like the mode where the screen goes faster to make the game harder although it picks up the pace after a few hours of play. The story sucks. The music is lame. It is just normal Mario. It feels like I have played this before and I have. On the DS and the Wii. It is a good game but I could live without it and since it is the only exclusive for the system I currently own that is a disappointment. It is a solid Mario game but it isn't as good as Donkey Kong Country Returns and is not even close to the brilliant and more beautiful Rayman Origins. But it is a 2-D Mario game and for most fans it will be enough. Good game. But nothing special or new. I really like the new blue cases. But I was told the Wii U would have a trophy system. Where is it? Expand
  28. Dec 3, 2012
    More of the same Mario we have become accustomed to over the past couple of years. New Super Mario Bros. U sticks to established mechanics created over the past couple years which isn't a bad thing because it works. The game is fun but like New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS the game lacks a certain type of soul. While fun I found myself become mildly bored by the game. The game does haveMore of the same Mario we have become accustomed to over the past couple of years. New Super Mario Bros. U sticks to established mechanics created over the past couple years which isn't a bad thing because it works. The game is fun but like New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS the game lacks a certain type of soul. While fun I found myself become mildly bored by the game. The game does have some interesting new features to it such as people being able to post messages from the MiiVerse that appear right on the map in the game. Overall the game is simply Mario and is another successful albeit somewhat lackluster entry in the franchise. Expand
  29. Apr 11, 2013
    My past involving 2D Super Mario games hasn't been good. Playing them would always lead me to eventual frustration and abandonment of the game altogether. I liked the games, but I never loved them. I simply wasn't skilled enough, nor patient enough, to continue on and finish the game. That is, until I started playing New Super Mario Bros. U. This game is the most indulgent experience inMy past involving 2D Super Mario games hasn't been good. Playing them would always lead me to eventual frustration and abandonment of the game altogether. I liked the games, but I never loved them. I simply wasn't skilled enough, nor patient enough, to continue on and finish the game. That is, until I started playing New Super Mario Bros. U. This game is the most indulgent experience in the series to date. The content is enormous. The designs are flawless. And the quality...oh, bellissimo! I knew I would like this game, but I never suspected I would love it this much. I've also gotten 100% completion something I would never dream was possible for me in a 2D Mario adventure and I'm still wanting to play more. The New Super Luigi U content destined to come out later this year cannot arrive soon enough, and will effectively double the content of an already-mammoth game. If you're considering picking up a Wii U, and you can't decide which game to choose, pick New Super Mario Bros. U. Even if 2D Mario adventures aren't your cup of tea, you won't be disappointed with the content-cost ratio. Plus the multiplayer is absolutely hilarious. Expand
  30. Sep 24, 2013
    There is very little in this game that I would consider to be "new", nonetheless, it is an expertly crafted experience with truly excellent platforming and level design that only Nintendo can create. Existing fans of the series already know what they are getting into and should be quite content with its offering.
  31. Nov 26, 2012
    Great game that feels more like the old 16 bit counterparts then the less-than-great Wii & DS entries. The added Challenge mode and Boost Rush are SERIOUS FUN and push this game from a high low 9 to a 10. Seriously, finally adding some new, and not gimmicky modes to the Mario Bros formula is a step in the right direction, FINALLY! :)
  32. Jan 2, 2013
    Nintendo may be playing it fast and loose with the word 'New' as this is the 4th entry in the New Super Mario Bros. series and not much has changed. Looking at screenshots or listening to the music each version is virtually indistinguishable. However, this is the best version yet. Polished to perfection, great level design, tight controls, timeless game play, NSMB U has it all. And don'tNintendo may be playing it fast and loose with the word 'New' as this is the 4th entry in the New Super Mario Bros. series and not much has changed. Looking at screenshots or listening to the music each version is virtually indistinguishable. However, this is the best version yet. Polished to perfection, great level design, tight controls, timeless game play, NSMB U has it all. And don't be fooled by the cheerful and colourful visuals this game provides a decent challenge which unlike so many modern games requires a bit of genuine skill to master. Loads of extra challenge modes sweeten the deal further. Could Nintendo have pushed the boat out a bit further with the music and art design? Yes, but the game play will always be the most important thing. Expand
  33. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece. It takes the perfect platforming Mario formula, and adds new features that breathe new life in an already amazing game series. The controls are top-notch; they are tight and responsive, and just the perfect degree of control you would expect from a Mario game. The level design is the best yet in the series. The graphics are incredible. Mario in 1080p looksThis game is a masterpiece. It takes the perfect platforming Mario formula, and adds new features that breathe new life in an already amazing game series. The controls are top-notch; they are tight and responsive, and just the perfect degree of control you would expect from a Mario game. The level design is the best yet in the series. The graphics are incredible. Mario in 1080p looks outstanding, and the amount of detail in every background is breathtaking. The game has a large world map, sort of like what is in Super Mario World. There are not a lot of new power-ups this time around, but it's definitely quality over quality. The new squirrel suit (I think that's what it is) is one of the best power-ups I've ever used in a Mario game. You can hold the jump button to glide in the air, and shake the wii remote to gain some extra height. The extra modes are incredible, and add a ton of replay value in this game. Finally, we have a challenge mode where Mario veterans are able do speed runs, coin-collecting runs, etc., and it's just a lot of fun. The game automatically saves your best run so you can watch your triumph at any time. All in all, this game is highly recommended, and one of the best games of the year. Expand
  34. Jul 5, 2014
    One of the best Games on the Wii U , Graphics Look Stunning , Its Old School Mario at its Best , definitely worth picking up a wii u to play all the mario games so far , mario kart 8 , new super luigi , mario 3d world ...
  35. Nov 11, 2014
    Easily the best in the New Super Mario Bros series. Even though it offers almost nothing new, the beautiful graphics from the wii u and the fluent game play makes it easily the best.
  36. Sep 5, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros U is a very familiar entry to the Mario bros lineup but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Visuals On the Wii U for SMB U look beautiful in HD, all of the worlds look vibrant and everything is crisp. As for Game-play the level designs are pretty good overall with some really good twist thrown into each world. the new suits they added to the game are greatNew Super Mario Bros U is a very familiar entry to the Mario bros lineup but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Visuals On the Wii U for SMB U look beautiful in HD, all of the worlds look vibrant and everything is crisp. As for Game-play the level designs are pretty good overall with some really good twist thrown into each world. the new suits they added to the game are great additions including the acorn suit and the ice flower suit, as well as the baby yoshi's which offer up different interesting ways to tackle a level. The game is pretty challenging and rewarding thanks to the very nice controls. it feels great on the game-pad to move around and is very responsive. The only gripe is that sometimes Mario is a bit slippery after a jump. As for Sound, The soundtrack isn't bad but it does get repetitive after awhile but im glad they kept some of the original stuff from previous games. Replay-ability isn't to good unfortunately, i completed the game in a couple of weeks and after that there isn't to much incentive to go back and give the levels another try except for the star coins which don't offer any reward.

Verdict- Super Mario Bros. U is a very Familiar game which is unfortunate at times because i want change sometimes but they stuck to the core formula and added enough changes where it doesn't feel like a repeat. the sound isn't bad but gets repetitive after awhile and the replay-ability isn't to great but the core game-play is still as fun as ever so if your a big Mario fan you should definitely pick this game up.
  37. Dec 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty good, innovative, and fun, although I wish the game-pad would count as a player, even though hang on SPOILER ALERT the princess gets captured again and is sent to bowser's new castle, if you ask this must have a great army of builders, he may as well just build a wall outside of his castle, but anyways this game is fun non the less it kinda needs a better story other than save the princess Expand
  38. Dec 8, 2012
    It's wonderful to note that this is the same game with some extra gimmicks. Nothing is developed in this game, nothing feels new or refreshed, nothing introduced as a new concept. it has good feel and great graphics, but if the gameplay is redundant, the music is redundant, the game feels old, what's the damn point of even buying it. I don't recommend if you don't want more of the sameIt's wonderful to note that this is the same game with some extra gimmicks. Nothing is developed in this game, nothing feels new or refreshed, nothing introduced as a new concept. it has good feel and great graphics, but if the gameplay is redundant, the music is redundant, the game feels old, what's the damn point of even buying it. I don't recommend if you don't want more of the same from cash-cow mario team. Expand
  39. Mar 20, 2013
    I love that Nintendo still releases side-scrolling Mario games. Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of my favorite games, and I still enjoy playing its style of gaming. New Super Mario Bros. U takes on the traditional formula with added HD graphics, a new power-up, challenge modes, and most importantly all-new levels.

Nintendo's focus was on gameplay and it hit the nail on the head. First and

Nintendo's focus was on gameplay and it hit the nail on the head. First and foremost it is important to note that NSMBU is an extremely fun game. The storyline is essentially non-existent, the graphics are improved but nothing to rave about, and the challenge modes are a nice addition, but this game prides itself on side-scrolling goodness and Nintendo does it best.

Simply, if you like side-scrolling platforming, you'll love NSMBU as it perfectly executes the genre.
  40. Sep 30, 2013
    I remember when new mario games by Nintendo EAD were always genre defying AAA epics. It literally feels like i've beaten this game before and it literally feels like Nintendo is lazier than ever.

Too lazy to go with a 4th character instead using a color palette swapped toad, too lazy for actual minibosses reminicent of the yoshis island series, to lazy to put any real heart into their new mario games instead pimping out a cheap SUB-PAR completely acceptable standard product unlike in the olden days before wii fit, wii sports, wii play, and wii party when nintendo actually thought they had to put effort and content into their games for them to sell.
  41. Oct 30, 2013
    Great game, been a console gamer without a wii, I haven't played a 2D mario game since the snes years. Beautiful game, one of the best 2D platformers out there. Maybe the only modern platformer that really works well. Great job nintendo with the level design. Too bad too many 2D mario games in 2 years, spoiled this game for many.
  42. Oct 27, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros. U offers the necessary stuff to be a honest and sufficient platformer, just don't demand challenge, new stuff or something like that.
  43. Nov 21, 2012
    First off, the squirrel suit is awesome...They added some nice extra modes in this to extend the fun beyond what some of the previous NSMB games have had. The visuals look really nice on the wii u. The music feels like they stepped it up a bit in this versus the previous games which I thought had pretty cheesy circus music. This is another solid platformer with a nice challenge to it.First off, the squirrel suit is awesome...They added some nice extra modes in this to extend the fun beyond what some of the previous NSMB games have had. The visuals look really nice on the wii u. The music feels like they stepped it up a bit in this versus the previous games which I thought had pretty cheesy circus music. This is another solid platformer with a nice challenge to it. If you are trying to figure out what wii u game to get...you can't really go wrong with this one. Expand
  44. Jan 7, 2013
    The game is enjoyable and pretty challenging from a pure game play standpoint. Graphically, the game looks great, and controls well. The level design and enemy variety is awesome, and so are the power-ups (the Super Acorn is cool). The multiplayer was fun (it doesn't need online, by the way), and there are other modes to explore aside from story mode. I can't say its perfect, because thereThe game is enjoyable and pretty challenging from a pure game play standpoint. Graphically, the game looks great, and controls well. The level design and enemy variety is awesome, and so are the power-ups (the Super Acorn is cool). The multiplayer was fun (it doesn't need online, by the way), and there are other modes to explore aside from story mode. I can't say its perfect, because there were a couple negatives. You can only resume from a quick save point once (I wished it could be done more than that), and the game does not have as much originality as other versions. People who hate Nintendo doing the whole re-hashing thing over and over again are missing the point: the formula really does work that well (which goes for other Nintendo franchises and non-Nintendo franchises as well). In the end, a refining of a truly great platforming series. 8.5/10 Expand
  45. Jun 21, 2013
    This mario is just another mario game. same old platforming with new improved graphics.
    it is fun to run and jump, collecting coins and stomp on enemies. but i now exact what to expect.
    no hidden areas, no surprises. the music is repetitive and boring. and the new power-up is no fun. its like a copy of "new super mario bros" (wii version) the only difference i see, is that the game
    no hidden areas, no surprises. the music is repetitive and boring.
    the only difference i see, is that the game is in "HD" i wish they did something complete different.
  46. Jul 30, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros U is a blast HD gameplay of the funest on wii u ever of a adventure also new items such as squirrel form propellering and penguin suit
  47. Nov 20, 2012
    There are not problems in the New formula, but New Super Mario Bros. U it's too short, really simple and there is not much to do. It's a good game to begin to understand the Wii U. Clearly, this was the Wii U game that I spent more time to reviewing, yeah, and I finished fastly and bored. It's a good challenge, a great 2D game. It looks awesome in HD, showing us a new future in the series.There are not problems in the New formula, but New Super Mario Bros. U it's too short, really simple and there is not much to do. It's a good game to begin to understand the Wii U. Clearly, this was the Wii U game that I spent more time to reviewing, yeah, and I finished fastly and bored. It's a good challenge, a great 2D game. It looks awesome in HD, showing us a new future in the series. Using the Gamepad to place blocks anywhere was a bit confusing and sometimes I noted that this use is forced. A solid game in conclusion. But Nintendo could do a challenger game and longer, maybe a new Super Mario game in 3D. Although the level design is impressive and has greats co-op and multiplayer modes, just skipping the blocks, please. Expand
  48. Jan 17, 2013
    What can I say, it's Nintendo and it's Mario. New Super Mario Bros U is the first HD Mario ever and it looks amazing. The new controller works great, and you can play through the entire game without a TV, just use the display on the gamepad. The music is what you expect in a Mario game, and so are the levels. You can play up to five players. Four playing with Wiimotes and one playing withWhat can I say, it's Nintendo and it's Mario. New Super Mario Bros U is the first HD Mario ever and it looks amazing. The new controller works great, and you can play through the entire game without a TV, just use the display on the gamepad. The music is what you expect in a Mario game, and so are the levels. You can play up to five players. Four playing with Wiimotes and one playing with the gamepad in Boost Mode where you can help the other players by placing platforms. If love like Mario, you'll love this game. Expand
  49. Aug 16, 2014
    This is not another NSMB game. Instead, this is Mario 3 and Mario World combined, creating an amazing and memorable experience that makes this by far my favorite 2d Mario game (and yes I've played through world and 3, which are 2 and 3 respectively). The graphics and sound are great, and as the first hd Mario game the colors really "pop." The game is easy to pick up and play by anyone.This is not another NSMB game. Instead, this is Mario 3 and Mario World combined, creating an amazing and memorable experience that makes this by far my favorite 2d Mario game (and yes I've played through world and 3, which are 2 and 3 respectively). The graphics and sound are great, and as the first hd Mario game the colors really "pop." The game is easy to pick up and play by anyone. An obvious buy for fans of Nintendo's most famous franchise. Expand
  50. Jan 14, 2013
    I like this game and the additional features such as the mini games. I am a little spent with the star coins I think they should change that up. Also how come there is no way to tell which flags you have not reached...? If you beat the game without going through every level...you get the point!! No online? Jeeze Wii U should allow players to play with others same with Nintendo Land notI like this game and the additional features such as the mini games. I am a little spent with the star coins I think they should change that up. Also how come there is no way to tell which flags you have not reached...? If you beat the game without going through every level...you get the point!! No online? Jeeze Wii U should allow players to play with others same with Nintendo Land not just Mii Verse. It's 2013 Nintendo get with the program everybody is playing multiplayer online! All and all a fun Mario game but no where near the calibur of Super Mario Galaxy 2. Sorry Nintendo try again and when you do, try some co-op online multiplayer! Expand
  51. Mar 1, 2013
    Not at all a bad game, but the compared with the Wii version I dont see much new. Not very much more detail in the graphics, just looks upscaled. Not many new elements or characters/enemies. Not much harder (easier Id say). I like the new nostalgic elements from Yoshis island, but I just dont think they had enough content to make a new game. This feels like new super mario bros wii HD. INot at all a bad game, but the compared with the Wii version I dont see much new. Not very much more detail in the graphics, just looks upscaled. Not many new elements or characters/enemies. Not much harder (easier Id say). I like the new nostalgic elements from Yoshis island, but I just dont think they had enough content to make a new game. This feels like new super mario bros wii HD. I the genre of 2d sidescrollers will be hard to push forward. I think an updated version in five years will suffice. Maybe some DLC during those years for the hardcore fans, like the Luigi-version that is coming now. The 2d content is simple and genius, but its too simple to pump out new releases as often as the 3d platformers. See this video. If some minor graphic tweaks are made in dolphin (like anti aliasing), I doubt anyone would see a difference. To me, New super mario bros U is the same game as this, which was released in 2009.

To summarise great game in the genre, but I think the demand for 2d platformers for me and the most others is satisfied for a couple of years forward.
  52. Jan 13, 2014
    This game is so much fun to play. This is one of the best side scrolling platformer's around today. The graphics are very colourful and fun to look at and the variety in environments is very nice as well. Using the different power ups is as fun as ever. The difficulty is just right and for people who may be less skilled there is a super guide mode where the game shows you how to getThis game is so much fun to play. This is one of the best side scrolling platformer's around today. The graphics are very colourful and fun to look at and the variety in environments is very nice as well. Using the different power ups is as fun as ever. The difficulty is just right and for people who may be less skilled there is a super guide mode where the game shows you how to get through or level or you can just let it do it for you instead so it doesn't get too frustrating.

There's not much else to say really this is good old Mario, the gameplay just gets better and better...
  53. Oct 17, 2013
    New Super Mario Brothers U is a good Wii U game, but it does the same as the rest of the games in the series. It plays the same, it looks the same, and the music is the same. With Mario being in HD the game looks amazing. The story is also the same Bowser stole Peach. Mario, Luigi, and the two nameless go and stop Bowser's plan, but now Mario and the other are thrown out of the castle andNew Super Mario Brothers U is a good Wii U game, but it does the same as the rest of the games in the series. It plays the same, it looks the same, and the music is the same. With Mario being in HD the game looks amazing. The story is also the same Bowser stole Peach. Mario, Luigi, and the two nameless go and stop Bowser's plan, but now Mario and the other are thrown out of the castle and Mario and the other must get to the castle. It still has the Four-player Co-op and the controls are the same as from the past New Mario Bros games. The Wii U gamepad is use to play on it alone and use in the new boost rush mode which lets the player to places blocks on the level and help with enemy. The New Super Mario Bros. Series is staring to get old and I wish Nintendo would just change the series to something different. I would recommend this to any Super Mario fan or to any Wii U owner. Expand
  54. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is fine, but can get boring very easily. Most of the levels are okay. The game should have added more things. The challenge mode is good. The game to me is a little below average in quality to me. That means It's good, but not extremely good.
  55. Nov 19, 2012
    This game is the side scrolling Mario game we have wanted at long last. The game is a great single player game as well as an amazing co-op game which is hard to come across! I enjoy playing single player on the wiiu pad nearly as much as on the TV with 3 other players, the Wiiu pad being used for the boost mode is great fun! Weither you are helping or trolling with the wiiu pad it is allThis game is the side scrolling Mario game we have wanted at long last. The game is a great single player game as well as an amazing co-op game which is hard to come across! I enjoy playing single player on the wiiu pad nearly as much as on the TV with 3 other players, the Wiiu pad being used for the boost mode is great fun! Weither you are helping or trolling with the wiiu pad it is all fun and just as great as actually playing the game so I concider this game 5 player. The world map is fun and the addition of the baby yoshis is fantastic! The new squirle power-up is like 3D land's tanooki suit but even more suited for a side scrolling game! The art style and graphics are beautiful and it is a unique and fresh take on the side scrolling mario games, I'd say this is the first legit mario side scroller since super mario world! It isn't just about co-op and fun it is also just a welly done game in general! Expand
  56. Nov 19, 2012
  57. Mar 8, 2013
    The perfect platformer! You might think i am lying but test it for yourself. The gameplay is tight and accurate as always, There are tons of things to do and the graphics are awesome. I literally spent hours over hours playing this to 100% completion. The formula works again, with style. The multiplayer, while very fun, is not perfect though. Sometimes it feels the other players actuallyThe perfect platformer! You might think i am lying but test it for yourself. The gameplay is tight and accurate as always, There are tons of things to do and the graphics are awesome. I literally spent hours over hours playing this to 100% completion. The formula works again, with style. The multiplayer, while very fun, is not perfect though. Sometimes it feels the other players actually get in the way of the 1st player, but it's still a great experience. Overall, Probably the best wii u game to date. Expand
  58. Sep 28, 2014
    While this game isn't bad, it still isn't very fun either. There is just too many reused assets that really bring this game down. The best part about this game is the world map, and everything else is just mediocre. The music sucks and the boss battles are lame. The graphics are the best of the "New" series, but that isn't saying much. The gameplay and controls, however, are actuallyWhile this game isn't bad, it still isn't very fun either. There is just too many reused assets that really bring this game down. The best part about this game is the world map, and everything else is just mediocre. The music sucks and the boss battles are lame. The graphics are the best of the "New" series, but that isn't saying much. The gameplay and controls, however, are actually pretty good. In the end, pick this game up in the bargain bin. It isn't worth more than $25. Expand
  59. Dec 3, 2013
    I just recently bought a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U. This has been the most poorly constructed Mario game that I can remember. I enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. This new Wii U version is the EXACT same thing. The graphics look identical and the game play feels identical. If anything, this game is less creative than the former version. New Super Mario Bros U is aI just recently bought a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U. This has been the most poorly constructed Mario game that I can remember. I enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. This new Wii U version is the EXACT same thing. The graphics look identical and the game play feels identical. If anything, this game is less creative than the former version. New Super Mario Bros U is a fast cash grabbing solution to a struggling console. Expand
  60. Dec 3, 2012
    This is the first new super mario brothers that I don't feel is lacking. It looks beautiful and the gamelplay is as good as ever. But want I like most is the ammount of content. I feel like there is so much to do and the challenge and rush mode is something that keeps bringing me back. I'd be suprised if you had a wii u and didn't have this game. If you don't have it, get it, you won't beThis is the first new super mario brothers that I don't feel is lacking. It looks beautiful and the gamelplay is as good as ever. But want I like most is the ammount of content. I feel like there is so much to do and the challenge and rush mode is something that keeps bringing me back. I'd be suprised if you had a wii u and didn't have this game. If you don't have it, get it, you won't be disappointed Expand
  61. Feb 13, 2013
    It's super Mario in HD. The gameplay doesn't need any explaining, but the graphics are superb. No real great gameplay features, but Mario doesn't really need any. My only wish would be for some online play, if we had that it would be a 10.
  62. Jul 27, 2014
    I don't think this game deserves the rating this has. not the best mario game ever and DEFINITELY NOT AS GOOD AS ANY OF THE NES GAMES. the platforming feels so different to what I am used to. and sometimes mario just controls against you like not jumping as high as you want even though you KNOW he can jump that high. and no sprint button. how are you going to do speedruns when they tookI don't think this game deserves the rating this has. not the best mario game ever and DEFINITELY NOT AS GOOD AS ANY OF THE NES GAMES. the platforming feels so different to what I am used to. and sometimes mario just controls against you like not jumping as high as you want even though you KNOW he can jump that high. and no sprint button. how are you going to do speedruns when they took the sprint button out. and another thing, the game is $60!!!!! overpriced... get super luigi u's standalone disk. it is only $30 and is more optimized for speedruns. plus the disk has 82 all new levels Expand
  63. Nov 21, 2012
    New Super Mario Brothers U is another foray into bland sameness. The similarities to NSMB are staggering. The music, the level design, the worlds, everything is the exact same bundle we've already ventured through. I understand that at this point in Mario's career there are bound to be worlds based on water levels and the inevitable fiery death levels at the end but now we're got theNew Super Mario Brothers U is another foray into bland sameness. The similarities to NSMB are staggering. The music, the level design, the worlds, everything is the exact same bundle we've already ventured through. I understand that at this point in Mario's career there are bound to be worlds based on water levels and the inevitable fiery death levels at the end but now we're got the guaranteed poison swamp and the guaranteed sky world. The Koopa Kids all play the same way, the Boom Boom bosses are still the EXACT same strategy as from Super Mario Bros. 3, everything is just so strikingly samey. The music is fun but it still recalls the old NSMB musical style which, to me, seems lazy. Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, and Super Mario Bros 3, as well as World all had wonderful music and if you were to listen to the songs without video you could name which game it came from because they're all so drastically different. I'd be willing to bet a suite of NSMB music including the DS and 3DS titles would result in many people not knowing which tracks are from which games because they're all too similar.
    And then there's the gameplay itself. Mario and company (which, two toads? Really? Again? Why not let us play Peach ala Super Mario Bros. 2 or even bring other series staples into the fold?) control really well, the fluidity of level design paired with the tight controls make the game move really well. Playing on the Tablet is a treat due to it's motion sensors it still has the capabilities of the wii remote but due to it's size and buttons it has more substance as well. Wii remotes are exactly as expected and, honestly, I think the new sensor bar is even more responsive than the old Wii one, everything seems to work a lot better on the Wii U and that makes the game work well. Now for my largest complaint. This game is way too easy. It holds your hand. Now I realize this isn't a complaint for everybody but this is more of a warning for people with similar tastes to mine. It seems like more often than not, at the end of a level I'm getting a new item for my item bar, that I don't need, or when I get hit a mushroom will float in from off screen to buff me back up. Before I even reached my third world I had 99 lives and I've not lost many along the way (usually due to a bad jump, the only thing that can kill you any more apparently). These things paired with NSMB tendency to just give you tons of power ups all over the place makes it far too easy to get through the game, there is literally no challenge to your progress. Even pits can be easily survived if you're quick with the tablet to drop in a platform before you fall. Now, I will admit than then played with 4 - 5 players these power ups come in handy for the lighter gamers in a group and they make it more fun for the casual players but for single player it makes the game a cake walk, there's no challenge if there's a power up in every other question block. This game is fun, I won't take that away. Even though I find no challenge in it I still breeze through levels at a steady pace exploring for secrets and collecting big coins, it's a relaxing game more than a challenging one. When played with a group the game is far more interesting, it makes the casual throwing about of power ups more useful, unless you're playing with a group of Mario pros, in which case it's just too easy.
    Mario games are for everyone, I get that, and I still do enjoy this game, but the soul less sameness of this title to past NSMB titles make it less interesting and engaging. Every year, sometimes multiple times, I dust off my Super Nintendo and play through Super Mario World and a friend of mine and I play Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES from time to time, these games have a unique appeal to them, they aren't the exact same as the titles before them. I feel like NSMB U will be shelved and dusty after completion and a few more weeks of multiplayer fun. Hell, NSMB on my DS still gets a play through from time to time, but I don't expect this to be true of Mario U and it already isn't true of the Wii's NSMB. The long and short of it is, it's fun, but it's not substantial to the hardcore gamer.
  64. Nov 25, 2012
    After New Super Mario Bros. 2, I was a bit worried that the New Mario franchise had run its course, and that there would be no more innovation in the series. Oh my goodness I was wrong. NSMBU is quite possible the best game in the franchise. Its easy to learn controls, great level design, challenging extra modes, and tons of unlockables make it perfect for anyone who has ever enjoyed anyAfter New Super Mario Bros. 2, I was a bit worried that the New Mario franchise had run its course, and that there would be no more innovation in the series. Oh my goodness I was wrong. NSMBU is quite possible the best game in the franchise. Its easy to learn controls, great level design, challenging extra modes, and tons of unlockables make it perfect for anyone who has ever enjoyed any video game. If is, in my opinion, the best Wii U launch title, and one you should definitely pick up. Expand
  65. Apr 21, 2013
    Excellent game. The graphics are incredible, and the levels are as challenging as ever. The thing that keeps this game from getting a 10 from me is some of the power-ups are straight up retarted. The expanding baby yoshi made me mad, but other than that, I would recommend this game to anybody
  66. Jul 19, 2013
    Mario comes to Wii u and gets his best classic platforms game. Full resolution for pretty graphics, everything has a better look and it is quite long. It has around 100 stages, but after complete them now you have more extra modes and the chance of 5 players gaming, sharing with people in Miiverse... It is not something new, it is something renewed, and in the best way. It is not the bestMario comes to Wii u and gets his best classic platforms game. Full resolution for pretty graphics, everything has a better look and it is quite long. It has around 100 stages, but after complete them now you have more extra modes and the chance of 5 players gaming, sharing with people in Miiverse... It is not something new, it is something renewed, and in the best way. It is not the best game that Wii u can have, but it is a good starter. If you mis it with New Super Luigi U... then give the game a 9. The part of Luigi has the wild that maybe you can miss from the mean part of the game... Expand
  67. Nov 21, 2012
    This is a great side scrolling mario. Graphics are amazing, very smooth and very much on par with the current gen of consoles if not better. Gameplay is typical mario with some great additions. This is a must own if you like mario / own a Wii U. The zones and levels are great and lots of detail put into this. I just hope nintendo's next mario is out of the new super mario bros genre and isThis is a great side scrolling mario. Graphics are amazing, very smooth and very much on par with the current gen of consoles if not better. Gameplay is typical mario with some great additions. This is a must own if you like mario / own a Wii U. The zones and levels are great and lots of detail put into this. I just hope nintendo's next mario is out of the new super mario bros genre and is more like a 64 style. 9/10. Expand
  68. Jan 28, 2013
    This Game may be another 2-D , but the game feels very fresh. Adding the challenge mode gives veterans a new interest and the visuals are just stunning. Overall this is a great game.
  69. Dec 2, 2012
    Mario's first adventure in the world of 1080p HD. The crisp clear image is beautiful and the Wii U makes way for some fun new mechanics. Unfortunately the lack of online co-op and the exhausted NSMB formula holds the game back from being anything spectacular.
  70. Dec 26, 2012
    Very fun game, but it was too short and easy to beat. Fun to do with younger siblings and cousins who really enjoyed it. Overall it was enjoyable and I would recommend it to casual and younger gamers.
  71. Mar 3, 2013
    Nothing new here. The game just as good on dolphin emulator with some minor anti aliasing and 720p upscaling. I really dont see a need for this game. Seems like they just wanted something to release the console with a game of their own. The whole 2d sidescroller is becoming a bit tiering to be honest. There is no chance Id buy another for a few years. The Luigi DLC just feels like theirNothing new here. The game just as good on dolphin emulator with some minor anti aliasing and 720p upscaling. I really dont see a need for this game. Seems like they just wanted something to release the console with a game of their own. The whole 2d sidescroller is becoming a bit tiering to be honest. There is no chance Id buy another for a few years. The Luigi DLC just feels like their milking it. The only reason Id buy it is the lack of game coming up. If they release the DLC at 5dollars I might do it. Expand
  72. Jun 24, 2013
    when the wii u came out i said to myself im not going to spend 60 dollars on a mario game because i already know what to expect..... then i needed something to play with my girlfriend so i spent the 60 dollars. She did not get to play at all i thought this game was absolutely incredible especially in level design. I'm just going to go ahead and say it i believe this game is AS GOOD aswhen the wii u came out i said to myself im not going to spend 60 dollars on a mario game because i already know what to expect..... then i needed something to play with my girlfriend so i spent the 60 dollars. She did not get to play at all i thought this game was absolutely incredible especially in level design. I'm just going to go ahead and say it i believe this game is AS GOOD as super mario world on SNES (yea the greatest side scrolling mario of all time) Not to mention its really fun to play with 4 other people, the person using the game pad gives the game an entirely new feel because he or she can either help you out or they can completely screw you over! For 60 bucks its totally worth it not to mention New luigi U is out now so if you beat it quick theres a whole new set of 80 redone levels for you to play) Expand
  73. Nov 26, 2012
    This game could be worse, but not much worse. This is a Mario Bros. game, which is such a popular franchise because of their addictive game play stemming from tight controls, without tight control. Want to run, for example? Then you better have half the screen in front of you before you start. I don't know if this is because of the game itself or because of the game pad, but it makes theThis game could be worse, but not much worse. This is a Mario Bros. game, which is such a popular franchise because of their addictive game play stemming from tight controls, without tight control. Want to run, for example? Then you better have half the screen in front of you before you start. I don't know if this is because of the game itself or because of the game pad, but it makes the game nearly unplayable. The bottom line is that I would only recommend this game for kids. Kids young enough to not know the difference between good and bad games, because that's who this game was made for. If you really want to play a newer Mario game do yourself a favor and get Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS instead. Expand
  74. Aug 19, 2013
    Great game. Yes, it is an old formula, but still a amazing one. It looks beautiful in HD and the challenges make a great bonus. The multiplayer with gamepad feels a little like cheating, but even with that the game can be challenging sometimes.
  75. Aug 9, 2013
    Definitely worth getting. I remember painstakingly making my way through Super Mario Bros on my NES, the frustration, the family/group fun, the regular passing of controllers at every death, the insisting you hit the jump button way before Mario fell to his death. ALL of that is in this game, and more. Multiplayer is awesome. I beat the game with 3 players(myself, my friend, and his wife)Definitely worth getting. I remember painstakingly making my way through Super Mario Bros on my NES, the frustration, the family/group fun, the regular passing of controllers at every death, the insisting you hit the jump button way before Mario fell to his death. ALL of that is in this game, and more. Multiplayer is awesome. I beat the game with 3 players(myself, my friend, and his wife) over the course of a few binge weekends, and we all felt so accomplished. Honestly the first Mario game i have beaten, and it wasn't easy, but it was worth it. Looking forward to Luigi. Expand
  76. Feb 8, 2014
    Let's sum-up my feelings about this game, considering i had New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Positive: -Graphics *-* ! I really find myself looking at the decor and saying it's beautiful. -It still pleasant and funny ! -There are some new interesting mechanics -The baby yoshis is a nice add -Catching Nabbit is quite easy but adds a bit more challenge -The new games in the toad houses

-It still pleasant and funny !
    -There are some new interesting mechanics
    -The baby yoshis is a nice add
    -Catching Nabbit is quite easy but adds a bit more challenge
    -The new games in the toad houses

-It may be me but i had the feeling the levels were quite short
    -It's much easier if you already experienced super mario bros on Wii, and it feels more like a New super mario bros Wii 2 than a brand new game
    -Indeed, more innovation wouldn't have be bad

That's almost all i have to say. In conclusion, it's a really nice game, but i suggest that if you're hesitating between this game and another platformer (like DKtropical freeze which is coming soon), you'd better buy the other game. Yep, i'd put Mario Bros U as a secondary game for Wii U even if it's very good !
    Also, i mut precise that i bought it with New Super Luigi U (which i didn't experienced yet) and i think it has the capacity (with what i saw from it) to offset New Super Mario Bros. U problems. One last thing, i suggest you buy the version with NSLU included, it's cheaper from what i saw.
  77. Nov 19, 2012
    Well, New Super Mario Bros. are going to be next Call of Duty - almost everything was before, but the game is really satisfying, so it was on DS and Wii.
  78. Nov 25, 2012
    An excellent entry in the 2D side scrolling New Mario Bros. series. The game looks and plays great and is a blast either single player or with friends along.
  79. Dec 13, 2012
    If you've played any of the other New Super Bros games (or any other 2D Mario for that matter) then you know exactly what to expect. It's the same gameplay with a few nice little additions, which means it's still terrific (with a lot borrowed from Mario 3). Playing it with friends is by far the best way to play this game. Trust me, if you only play it by yourself you're not getting theIf you've played any of the other New Super Bros games (or any other 2D Mario for that matter) then you know exactly what to expect. It's the same gameplay with a few nice little additions, which means it's still terrific (with a lot borrowed from Mario 3). Playing it with friends is by far the best way to play this game. Trust me, if you only play it by yourself you're not getting the most out of the game. The time trials and extra challenges are a nice diversion from the single player mode, but playing the main game with others is the way to go Expand
  80. Dec 17, 2012
    Mario it's Mario!Good gameplay but Mario it's the same from 10 years..Same story(save the princess) and go on..good impact with the new gamepad on wii u..On tv you can see finally Mario in HD (if you have a plasma/led/lcd TV)
  81. Dec 26, 2012
    This is basically the same game as on the Wii. It is a lot of fun, the level design is great, the animations are great, the controls are tight.. but, there is nothing -new- about it. The enemies and music are recycled from the Wii verion. Some powerups have been removed and one new has been added. If you're new to Mario then this game is clear 10, but if you've played through New SuperThis is basically the same game as on the Wii. It is a lot of fun, the level design is great, the animations are great, the controls are tight.. but, there is nothing -new- about it. The enemies and music are recycled from the Wii verion. Some powerups have been removed and one new has been added. If you're new to Mario then this game is clear 10, but if you've played through New Super Mario Bros Wii, then you'll feel that something is lacking. It feels more like DLC for NSMB Wii than a new game. It's still a good game though, so it gets a 7. Expand
  82. Feb 23, 2013
    It's a New Super Mario Bros. game. There isn't much else to say. If you like Mario games than you will like this one. The kids like it, I like it, my wife likes it. Good graphics and controls as usual.
  83. Sep 5, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in the Wii U Library and is a must for all Mario fans that own a Wii U. Though the game isn't that different from it's previous titles like New Super Mario Bros Wii. however the game is still filled with some new features like challenge mode and the Game Pad's features that include helping players out by adding platforms and the interactive Boost modeNew Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in the Wii U Library and is a must for all Mario fans that own a Wii U. Though the game isn't that different from it's previous titles like New Super Mario Bros Wii. however the game is still filled with some new features like challenge mode and the Game Pad's features that include helping players out by adding platforms and the interactive Boost mode (which sadly I haven't tried out yet due to that I wanted to play the game by myself). It may be a bit disappointing that Nintendo played it safe once again but this is still a solid Mario Title despite that. Expand
  84. Oct 3, 2014
    This is a great game but i think its time for Nintendo to move on from the "New Series" Like something that is as great as galaxay, mario 64 or even 3d world but i want the next mario to be even funner than them. Dont make another New series Mario game please Nintendo im begging you they are just to much of the same
  85. Nov 24, 2014
    Wii U sale a la luz con un excelente juego de lanzamiento, este Mario supera al de Wii con mejores niveles, mas creativos, y ver a Mario por primera vez en HD, el OST es muy bueno y parece un Super Mario World HD, es un excelente juego, un Mario por excelencia, hermosos paisajes, mundos, y la batalla final es épica.

Lo único malo es que para ser un juego de Miyamoto y para Wii U no trae

Lo único malo es que para ser un juego de Miyamoto y para Wii U no trae nada de innovador con el game pad, poner plataformas te aburre después de jugar 2 niveles, muy pobre el uso de game pad. este juego es de 9.5 pero no puedo calificarlo así
  86. Nov 21, 2012
    This is the first Mario that makes me want to play all the time since Super Mario 3. Children love it and can help a lot without having to catch up all the time and I can play on my own and truly enjoy it. I am impressed and already glad I bought the Wii U.
  87. Nov 22, 2012
    Its a good game that was very different from the one on 3ds. If it was my money i'd say it is the best of the New Super Mario series with its awesome level design, great world map, and the awesome addition of baby yoshies it is a great game.
  88. Dec 4, 2012
    Solid 2D Mario game with a ton of new platforming ideas and conquests. Very nice throwback to Super Mario World and Super Mario 3. Use of Yoshi is done well and the overall content is worth way more than the entry fee. Like the Wii game before, its multi-player is insanely fun.
  89. Mar 5, 2013
    This is a good, fun and addicting game, the first time through. Now that I've finished every level, I can't go back. I've tried, but in the end i play for 5 minutes then quit.
  90. Jul 23, 2013
    I had fun playing New Super Mario U and this is really all that matters. The game has the bright and cheerful animation that we all have come to expect from any Mario games. It has great responsive controls, and a decent variety of levels. As always, at least in recent years, each level has 3 star coins to collect. Whether or not you choose to get each and every one will greatly effectI had fun playing New Super Mario U and this is really all that matters. The game has the bright and cheerful animation that we all have come to expect from any Mario games. It has great responsive controls, and a decent variety of levels. As always, at least in recent years, each level has 3 star coins to collect. Whether or not you choose to get each and every one will greatly effect how long it takes you to play the game. If you skip the star coins or just use a guide to get them then your play through will be pretty fast. What I did was make a legitimate attempt to get each star coin on my own. If I couldn't find one I would just skip it and move on. Then at the very end I came back using a guide and picked up everything I missed. Of the 240+ star coins there were only 5 or so I ended up using a guide for and of the secret exits I found half on my own. Using that system It took me a while to beat the game.

So why didn't I give the game a 10?

1. I found the game too easy, and that did take a little of the enjoyment away.

2. Yoshi and especially baby Yoshi feel like they were tacked on at the very end. Neither were important to any level as all could be beaten without a Yoshi. They were also used so rarely that they just seem out of place. By comparison Yoshi was a major part of Mario World with level catered around him. They really should have done the same with mario u.

3. The game played it too safe. It didn't innovate the franchise at all. Not in level design, not in power ups, not in anything. The few parts that were interesting were all shown in advance to the game launching so they didn't even have the impact they could have had.

4. I don't like the world map. Everything connecting everywhere makes it too hard to replay each level. A secret exit will create a long track leading to a secret level. If you want to replay the game using your existing game file it makes for A very schizophrenic experience with paths constantly leading away.

5. I found the music disappointing. Mario games usually have a great soundtrack but the tracks in Mario u were bland and uninspired. This actually is my biggest gripe with the game.

To be clear none of these problems ruins the experience of the game. Its still fun and its definitely worth picking up. They just prevent it from being a Masterpiece
  91. Oct 19, 2013
    *Yaawwwwn*
    *Yaawwwwn*
    Just another game in the series. Same exact thing as all the other 2D games. No exploration, same cookie-cutter game. There's still no variation, and Nintendo is just relying on nostalgia at this point. If you like simple, linear, games, you might enjoy this if you're not sick of it already. If you liked Mario 64, Galaxy, or Sunshine better, skip this and wait for Nintendo to do something new. That said, the game was playable. I couldnt bring myself to finish it, though, because I got bored really fast. The graphics are amazing and I would be delighted to see what they could do with a Galaxy-ish game, but the music was sub-par compared to Nintendo's usual. Gameplay, of course, I already went over, but it was generally really boring. Each level would sometimes look cool but after dying twice you're no longer interested.
  92. Mar 14, 2014
    I'm trying to think of reasons why this game isn't a flawless 10/10 experience, and I am having a hard time doing so. This 2D platforming at it's finest. I'm amazed how how accessible this game is, too; a 5 year could play this and have a great time, yet a 25 year old can enjoy it just as much, maybe even more. Item collecting adds a great challenge (getting all of the star coins is aboutI'm trying to think of reasons why this game isn't a flawless 10/10 experience, and I am having a hard time doing so. This 2D platforming at it's finest. I'm amazed how how accessible this game is, too; a 5 year could play this and have a great time, yet a 25 year old can enjoy it just as much, maybe even more. Item collecting adds a great challenge (getting all of the star coins is about as difficult as any challenging game out there). Multiplayer is a ton of fun, but therein lies my only gripe with the game: trying to fit 4 players onto a small 2D world, let alone 2 players, presents its frustrating challenges. Many times I found myself launched into an infernal lava pit because I bumped into another player. MANY MANY TIMES. It's usually funny, but when you've played a hard level 20 times and keep dying because of bumping into other players while jumping...yeah, my one gripe. Otherwise, flawless 2D Mario fun! Expand
  93. Jan 29, 2013
    When you buy a Mario 2D platformer you know what to expect. But I got to say I was pleasantly suprised. Beside the dull and repetitive mini bosses on each world the game feels really fresh. First of all the game looks amazing in HD. The levels are varied and very fun to play. Catching all the star coins is a blast, and after you've completed the game you have over 20 levels to find throughWhen you buy a Mario 2D platformer you know what to expect. But I got to say I was pleasantly suprised. Beside the dull and repetitive mini bosses on each world the game feels really fresh. First of all the game looks amazing in HD. The levels are varied and very fun to play. Catching all the star coins is a blast, and after you've completed the game you have over 20 levels to find through secret passages and finding all the star coins in each world. Along with this you have modes such as coin rush and other challanges to keep you busy for a long time. One thing that I would like to see improved is the multiplayer. First I would love to see online multiplayer, and also that the characters shouldn't stop when you get hurt, it gets really choppy and hard to time your upcoming jumps for the other players when this happens. Fix these two multiplayer things, vary the mini bosses and add a level editor and this would have been a straight up 10. I give this game a solid 9/10! Expand
  94. Nov 19, 2012
    The level design has much improved over the last NSMB games and the gorgeous and dynamic over world really ties the world together nicely. The main probably with this game is it's uninspired graphics and sub par music. Also if you are unlike myself and don't enjoy chaotic multiplayer with your friends, you may want to avoid the multiplayer aspect of the game
  95. Dec 10, 2012
    Side scrolling platform fun at its best, grab four of your friends and overcome challenges in multiple worlds each with their own special spin. The story line hasn't changed much from our childhood; Bowser has kidnapped the princess while Mario & Co. are out to save the day. Yoshi makes an appearance along with baby Yoshi
  96. Nov 27, 2012
    In my opinion this game is a throwback from a bygone era. I will never understand the heaps of love bestowed upon the Mario Franchise. Each game, is a rehash of the game before. In addition the game does nothing to showcase the graphical power of the Wii-U. It's time to do something different with Mario, I would have preferred to see something creative like the Super Mario RPG with anIn my opinion this game is a throwback from a bygone era. I will never understand the heaps of love bestowed upon the Mario Franchise. Each game, is a rehash of the game before. In addition the game does nothing to showcase the graphical power of the Wii-U. It's time to do something different with Mario, I would have preferred to see something creative like the Super Mario RPG with an action RPG twist as opposed to this game. Expand
  97. Mar 19, 2013
    Before I continue, I have to say that I love Mario Brothers. I find myself overplaying Mario bros, and dying a lot in the games. When I got Mario Bros U, I was thinking that I will be playing a remake of the first NSMB game. I was wrong. This game is filled with new ideas, and revivals of old Mario Bros concepts. I also found there being many secrets in the game. My only problem withBefore I continue, I have to say that I love Mario Brothers. I find myself overplaying Mario bros, and dying a lot in the games. When I got Mario Bros U, I was thinking that I will be playing a remake of the first NSMB game. I was wrong. This game is filled with new ideas, and revivals of old Mario Bros concepts. I also found there being many secrets in the game. My only problem with that aspect is this, if you want to find secrets, just jump into any wall you see. The story is the same, the princess gets kidnapped. Well not kidnapped, but thrown by a giant bionic arm, and she landed directly in the castle. Good trick shot Bowser. Then I started being the mean jerk that I am as mario, Running and jumping on innosent little creatures, having some of the most fun I had on this system. It is fun playing alone, but everyone gets killed by the multiplayer. It is usual NSMB CO-OP. You should reach the end, but most of the times, you end up killing your teammates. Basically, multiplayer turns into a jump based smash bros. The gamepad is fun to play with. The only problem is, the gamepad player tries despratly to kill you with the pad. Is there anything that can make it better, Yes. First, I wanted to see Pro Controller Support. It was fun playing with the game pad. WE PAYED $30+ FOR OUR PRO CONTROLLER, DO YOU GUYS THINK WE WANT TO USE IT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN SHOOTERS NINTENDO. Also It would be awesome if you could play as your mii in story mode. Also I would have wanted to see the gamepad player be able to control another mario charactor. Most likely Wario. Finally, It is annoying that player one has to always play as Mario. Seriouslly, Blue Toad is cute, I want more Blue Toad Action. In the end, the game is fun, but its lack of replayability and exclusion of certain features killed the game, I give this game 8 dead koopas out of 10 Expand
  98. Nov 24, 2013
    This is a great looking update to the traditional Mario format, which has always been a favourite with my kids. My son brought his friends home from school to play it on the day our new Wii U arrived. Cue 3 hours of non-stop shrieks of enjoyment!

It doesn't really show off the Gamepad's features as well as some other Wii-U games, and my youngest beat the game on single player mode within a couple of weeks (he is a particularly adept player, though) The co-op feature is where it shines, I think, and judging by all the grinning faces, this game is a solid hit.
  99. Nov 15, 2013
    In my opinion New Super Mario Bros. U is The Best 2D Mario Game Ever Made! Take it from someone who loved super mario world and still plays it. NSMBU has it beat. Level are fun and get pretty challenging. the multiplayer changes the game in a cool way. not to mention the Challenge modes will keep you coming back for for! I'm glad nintendo started packing this game in with the system, causeIn my opinion New Super Mario Bros. U is The Best 2D Mario Game Ever Made! Take it from someone who loved super mario world and still plays it. NSMBU has it beat. Level are fun and get pretty challenging. the multiplayer changes the game in a cool way. not to mention the Challenge modes will keep you coming back for for! I'm glad nintendo started packing this game in with the system, cause it is a system seller like super Mario World was! Expand
  100. Dec 22, 2013
    A very fun game to play. HD graphics and very detailed. Crisp sound. The thing is that it is the same thing OVER and OVER again, but still, great game and fun to play.
  101. Nov 21, 2012

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.