New Super Mario Bros. U Wii U

8.1

1. Jan 23, 2013
    Don't think that this is "Just another Mario game", sure it's the same 2D side-scrolling gameplay that are in the other 2D Mario games but the fantastic level design and challenge help this game feel fresh. The game looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic (although it's not as good as other Mario games). As far as Wii U features go aside from using the touch screen in the menu youDon't think that this is "Just another Mario game", sure it's the same 2D side-scrolling gameplay that are in the other 2D Mario games but the fantastic level design and challenge help this game feel fresh. The game looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic (although it's not as good as other Mario games). As far as Wii U features go aside from using the touch screen in the menu you can play the entire game on the gamepad, but the game looks so good on the big screen nobody will blame you if you never look at the pad, it's helpful on bathroom breaks though. The only real use for the gamepad functionality is in multiplayer. You can have the gamepad player place blocks onscreen to jump on which can really save your bacon on some of the more difficult levels. Multiplayer is at it's best when it's two players and one of them is using the gamepad, get more than two together and the game turns into a chaotic, albeit humorous, mess. To play this game with more than two people and actually make some progress you need to communicate, or else game time can turn into fight night. The game packs a lot of content not only do you have the lengthy story mode you also have various challenge modes which will keep you playing after you beat the story mode. The only real issue I have with this game is the amount of recycled bosses, I swear I fought the same boss at least half a dozen times. If your a Mario fan, 2D platformer fan, or just like good, challenging games than you should really consider picking this up. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2016
    Mario's back in another NEW Super Mario Bros. adventure. Only this type, he's going to your Wii U to have the most fun out of any gamer out there possible.
  3. Jul 21, 2016
    The 2nd best Wii U platformer is this one and it isn't really the same of the "new mario" game series. The levels and the controls as well as the music is perfect!
  4. May 27, 2016
    This game is average as New SMB Wii, but graphics much better than in NSMB Wii . Change are small, but this game not worse than New Super Mario Bros Wii, but not better than NSMB Wii and I think NSMB Wii and U much better than NSMB on DS or NSMB 2 on 3DS, but NSMB 2 on 3DS much better than NSMB on DS . In NSMB U graphics is awesome for 2D Game and multiplayer in NSMB U worse than NSMB Wii,This game is average as New SMB Wii, but graphics much better than in NSMB Wii . Change are small, but this game not worse than New Super Mario Bros Wii, but not better than NSMB Wii and I think NSMB Wii and U much better than NSMB on DS or NSMB 2 on 3DS, but NSMB 2 on 3DS much better than NSMB on DS . In NSMB U graphics is awesome for 2D Game and multiplayer in NSMB U worse than NSMB Wii, but very amazing too and I think is good game, but change with NSMB Wii are small because I rate this game is 6/10 . Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    New Super Mario U Bros is one of the best 'NSM', but not necessarily the best 'Mario' game. While the challenge level is just right, it is meant to be a homage of sort to SMB 3 and Super Mario World. As such, level designs, as original as they are, are derivative of these superior outings. Face it though, it is not the system seller that Nintendo thought it could be. It doesn't reallyNew Super Mario U Bros is one of the best 'NSM', but not necessarily the best 'Mario' game. While the challenge level is just right, it is meant to be a homage of sort to SMB 3 and Super Mario World. As such, level designs, as original as they are, are derivative of these superior outings. Face it though, it is not the system seller that Nintendo thought it could be. It doesn't really show off the Game Pad as well. Expand
  6. Jul 14, 2015
    "New Super Mario Bros. U" was one of the first Nintendo Wii U games release and, for the longest time, one of the only first-party Wii U games released. Overall, even today, now that plenty of other Wii U games have been released, "New Super Mario Bros. U" is still an extremely fun game that I would definitely highly recommend. Gorgeous visuals, great level design, fun platforming,"New Super Mario Bros. U" was one of the first Nintendo Wii U games release and, for the longest time, one of the only first-party Wii U games released. Overall, even today, now that plenty of other Wii U games have been released, "New Super Mario Bros. U" is still an extremely fun game that I would definitely highly recommend. Gorgeous visuals, great level design, fun platforming, interesting new items, increased difficulty from previous new items and fun new modes make this a very worthwhile purchase. If anything, I feel as though the game still treads some of the same ground as "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" and most of the fun you will get out of the game comes from multiplayer. Even so, multiplayer or not, "New Super Mario Bros. U" is a great game that is definitely well-worth purchasing. Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2014
    It's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing awayIt's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing away enemies. It's certainly not the best Mario platformer, but it's a pretty good Wii U title. 9/10 Expand
  8. Jan 12, 2015
    I got New Super Mario Bros. U as a compilation when I purchased my Wii U. If you want to see my review of New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U, please look at that game's page.

New Super Mario Bros. U was a Wii U launch title that tried but didn't really use the GamePad well. Thankfully, it still has the genius level design like the rest of the New Super Mario series and cheerful art style that always keeps me coming back. One of the levels in Soda Jungle (styled like Van Gogh's Starry Night) is particularly beautiful.

The multiplayer from New Super Mario Bros. Wii is back and its as hectic as ever. It still doesn't really fit my definition of fun but I guess if you have nothing else to do, you should try it out. The Flying Squirrel Acorn is the new power-up in this game. It allows you glide and hang onto walls to hide from enemies. It's really unique and I'd like to see it return in a later Mario game.

Baby Yoshis also make a return. There are three types: bubble, light, and balloon. The bubble one, as you may have guessed, blows bubbles to trap enemies and turn them into coins. The light one can create a path for you in dark underground levels and the balloon one can help you get to higher places. The Baby Yoshis are a great addition to freshen up the gameplay. One of my few problems with Mario U is that when you get to World 6, there's an insane difficulty spike but that's mostly it.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. U is the best in the New Super Mario series and besides the lack of improvement in multiplayer and the difficulty spike, it's not anything you're going to want to miss.
  9. Mar 6, 2017
    Another great 2D Mario game for the collection. Not quite as good as some previous entries in the series but still a must own game if you have a Wii U.
  10. Jul 23, 2013
    Like most Mario games, they are very similar to each other, and in this case, it's once again the same. Though the Wii U gaming console does offer a new gadgets to help the Wii Remote player, nothing is very new in the game. Despite this, the game is very fun and enjoyable to play, and I recommend it for on the Wii U.
  11. Mar 1, 2015
    This game is AWESOME!! The graphics,controls,characters,designs,background,etc. are all worth it. The story looks like AFTER New Super Mario Bros. Wii(great game). Please get this game.
  12. Jan 20, 2015
    This is a game that is worth the money easily, just like the first one.

PROS
    -Graphics were HD
    -easy controls
    -Nice story
    -Fun gameplay

CONS
    -A little glitchy
  13. Oct 19, 2013
    While not as fun as New Super Mario Bros Wii its still a good game that has some unique levels, some good music and some of the backgrounds look gorgeous.
  14. Nov 2, 2016
    Graphics: 8.2 Sound: 8.5 Gameplay: 9 Fun/Story: 8.2

Like all Mario´s games: colorful, great level design, addicted and intuitive gameplay. Perhaps less repetition and more innovation could raised the score.
  15. Jun 27, 2013
    As you should know by mereling reading the game's name, New Super Mario Bros U is more of the same 2D platforming magic that started making waves more than 25 years ago.

As the first Mario adventure on the Wii U, it adds the allure of HD graphics for the first time in the franchise's history. It also cleverly brings back a more fluid overworld, in the style of SNES classic Super Mario World, and it's incredible how that change alone manages to push the sense of immersion way past the 3DS counterpart, New Super Mario Bros 2.

Aside from that, there is little true innovation here. We get a new power up that transforms Mario into a flying squirrel, but it packs a sense of déjà-vu thanks to the classic raccoon suit. There's a new character as well, the rabbit-like thief Nabbit, who should pack enough charm to keep showing up in future Mario-related games.

As much as I would like to be blown away by a super-novel Mario 2D adventure, though, it's hard to complain much about this game. Fans of the genre should be satisfied with the tried-and-true action sequences, and should spend quite a few hours looking for star coins and secret exits. Aside from the main story mode, you should find plenty of extra challenges here as well, both for single-player and multiplayer experiences. And yes, getting to play with your own Mii is priceless.

Especially given the lack of new releases for the Wii U, New Super Mario Bros U should be a part of pretty much every early collection for the platform.
  16. Apr 23, 2015
    This game is awesome! Best NSMB game of them all! The graphics are amazing! The controls are great. The level designs are all good. This game also introduced someone awesome to the series (Nabbit). New Super Mario Bros U is great to play with friends and you should definitely buy this game!
  17. Feb 6, 2014
    one of best mario games but has abit moments that didnt impress me
    one when you lose and havent had ask for save you start back were you last save untill you get that point
    the boss fight feel like same one to me like the wii version
    grate lo co multplayer of all and using the gamepad to stop a platform from losing
  18. May 21, 2016
    This is one of the hardest Mario games I've played, which is very surprising considering Mario's recent history. The graphics are good and the gameplay is fun but challenging. The 4-player co-op mode returns, with 4 players able to play on the same screen. One new feature that I really like is that one player can use the GamePad while everyone else is playing with Wii Remotes, and theThis is one of the hardest Mario games I've played, which is very surprising considering Mario's recent history. The graphics are good and the gameplay is fun but challenging. The 4-player co-op mode returns, with 4 players able to play on the same screen. One new feature that I really like is that one player can use the GamePad while everyone else is playing with Wii Remotes, and the person using the GamePad can either help or harm the other players by touching the screen to create small platforms. The game doesn't take very long to complete, but there is a $20 DLC pack which gives Luigi his own game. It is called New Super Luigi U. It has just as many levels as the main game, except they are completely different and the levels each last 1 minute. This means you have to speed through the levels with Luigi's slideyness and high jumping. Overall this is another great Mario platformer that's still worth a purchase. Expand
  19. Jul 11, 2015
    A polished but somewhat bland game released as a launch title for the Wii U. New Super Mario Bros U does a good job of maintaining the good gameplay of the NSMB series. I'd have to say that it's nothing really new, and nothing really too special. The length is pretty short unfortunately, and the music, while somewhat new, is still more of the rehashed music that we've heard many years ago.A polished but somewhat bland game released as a launch title for the Wii U. New Super Mario Bros U does a good job of maintaining the good gameplay of the NSMB series. I'd have to say that it's nothing really new, and nothing really too special. The length is pretty short unfortunately, and the music, while somewhat new, is still more of the rehashed music that we've heard many years ago. I recommend getting the game if you're a fan of mario platform games, but not if you're expecting a good story, a long campaign, or something really new from the NSMB series. The revamped world map system, however, is pretty cool!

Gameplay: 8.5/10
    Story: 3/10
    Music: 6.5/10
    Presentation: 9.5/10
    Length: 6/10
    Overall: 7.5/10
  20. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is fun, but it is not as good as the Wii version. The game looks great in HD, is loads of fun in co-op and the levels are well designed. However, this game gets very boring after beating the main campaign and there are very few levels that are worth repeating. But the game is enjoyable, just not a must own.
  21. May 2, 2014
    "It's a meeeee, a Mario for the trillionth a tiiiiime, only in a H a D a!!!!", said Mario. Nothing you haven't seen before, except for the HD part of it.
  22. Dec 7, 2013
    When I played New super Mario Bros 2, I was worried Nintendo had run out of new ideas, but New super Mario Bros U has proved me wrong. This is not as good as the Mario Bros DS and Wii, but it comes close. The world map is all connected, a bit like Mario World, but it's not really different from the world maps in the other mario games. Mranwhile, the levels are fantastic, full ofWhen I played New super Mario Bros 2, I was worried Nintendo had run out of new ideas, but New super Mario Bros U has proved me wrong. This is not as good as the Mario Bros DS and Wii, but it comes close. The world map is all connected, a bit like Mario World, but it's not really different from the world maps in the other mario games. Mranwhile, the levels are fantastic, full of creativity, challenge, and great design. Almost every level was cleverly designed, and the perfect difficulty balance. Especially the last three worlds were challenging, but super guide is usually there to help out noobs. Multiplayer makes it yet crazier. Some may not like multoplayer but I do. It is annoying though when the screen freezes mid-jump while someone else is collecting a power-up. That is a stupid idea. But the game doen't end there. There is also challenge mode, which contains about sixty challenges, each of which tasks you with a specific aim, eg speedrun a level, or bounce on bullet bills withput touching the ground to earn sixty 1-ups. Even the easier challrnges could have you failing many times, and the hardest could possibly have you dying hundreds of times. Challenge mode is a fantastic addition. There are also boost rush modes and coin battle. But how does nsmbu make use of the gamepad? The answer is boost mode, in which players use wiimotes, and an additional player places blocks using the gamepad. Is it fun? No- it's as creative as it sounds. But despite not using the gamepad in a good way, NSMBU is a fantastic mario game. Expand
  23. Mar 24, 2017
    You can't deny that you didn't have fun playing but with pretty much the same old same old items and enemies it's undeniable that 2D Mario games are getting old. Some of the new world design is cool and the new level design is amazing but they still really need to part with 2D Mario for the next few years. The boss battle was good and the gameplay was easy but still challenging enough forYou can't deny that you didn't have fun playing but with pretty much the same old same old items and enemies it's undeniable that 2D Mario games are getting old. Some of the new world design is cool and the new level design is amazing but they still really need to part with 2D Mario for the next few years. The boss battle was good and the gameplay was easy but still challenging enough for it to be fun. Overall this a solid Mario game that is a hit or miss for a lot of people. Expand
  24. Jan 5, 2014
    This was just a great fun little game to play. The art style and music is top notch. The only reason I didn't score this games higher was the total length and difficulty. This game will only take you about 5-6hrs. to beat and the level difficulty is so easy a 5 year old can play (they did that on purpose so they can). This is a great start to Mario in HD hopefully some tougher games comeThis was just a great fun little game to play. The art style and music is top notch. The only reason I didn't score this games higher was the total length and difficulty. This game will only take you about 5-6hrs. to beat and the level difficulty is so easy a 5 year old can play (they did that on purpose so they can). This is a great start to Mario in HD hopefully some tougher games come in the future.

PS.
    The homage to old school Mario at the end was awesome
  25. Jun 2, 2013
    Without a doubt, this is the best New Mario game ever. It blows every other game in the New Mario series out of the water. it has great level design, gorgeous graphics, and fun gameplay, i believe this is the best 2D Mario game since Mario World.
  26. Feb 18, 2013
    2D mario in its absolute basic, fantastic form. not alot added, not alot taken away, just straight foward, bang on, 2d platforming. And i woulndt have it any other way. It does bother me a bit that all of the new super mario bros. games are so damn similair, but i would definitely say this game is the best in the series. some new locations, some old revisted locations, new powerups, and2D mario in its absolute basic, fantastic form. not alot added, not alot taken away, just straight foward, bang on, 2d platforming. And i woulndt have it any other way. It does bother me a bit that all of the new super mario bros. games are so damn similair, but i would definitely say this game is the best in the series. some new locations, some old revisted locations, new powerups, and new multiplayer and challenge options. nintendo knew the simple phrase "if its not broken, dont fix it" and it applies so well to this game. It would have been nice to see somthing brand new with mario's launch on the wii u, but this game is just fine. I have alot of fond christmas day memories of playing this, and its by far one of my favorite Wii U games. This is 2d mario done best, good graphics, good music, memorable set pieces, lousy story (which doesnt really apply to this game, as mario isnt built around a story), but as the first and foremost, fun gameplay. and the gameplay is where it counts. i found the twist of being thrown away and needing to work your way back to the castle to be interesting. I would reccomend this to any mario fan, platforming fan, or wii u owner. A great representation of with whats to come with mario in the near future! Expand
  27. Jan 18, 2013
    With Mario you know what your getting a fun side scrolling adventure which you can now play with your friends. I haven't tried it with the gamepad 5th player but it sounds like a good enough idea. I find this game plays best with 2 players as 4 can make it a pain. I like that we are back to one huge world instead of 8 seperate ones (like back in Super Nintendo days) They have added someWith Mario you know what your getting a fun side scrolling adventure which you can now play with your friends. I haven't tried it with the gamepad 5th player but it sounds like a good enough idea. I find this game plays best with 2 players as 4 can make it a pain. I like that we are back to one huge world instead of 8 seperate ones (like back in Super Nintendo days) They have added some new game modes and twists to the standard formula ( like the races and chasing a guy through the levels) I don't feel liked Nintendo just dusted off the last version and game it an HD ungrade. My only complaint is that you can't play online co-op. There is no good reason for this. (Little Big Planet) and I think it would really make this a perfect game. Expand
  28. Nov 23, 2013
    Mario takes his first step on Wii U, and as expected, it's fantastic. This game has the same great polish that we would expect from Nintendo, keeping everything familiar while building on it with some new mechanics. With 4 titles with the New Super Mario Bros, they are starting to outstay their welcome though.

In a nice change of events, you don't start the game near the castle, but

In a nice change of events, you don't start the game near the castle, but are rather blasted away into a forest. Also, they changed around the music, but keep the same ah's and what not in the soundtrack. This aesthetic change from the previous games are very short-lived and you quickly find that you've gone through the same exact kind of levels in the previous 3 NSMB's. As a result, you wonder how much of it's actually new and how much of it's recycled.

Nevertheless, this game offers many unique challenges that really encourage you to flex your platforming muscles, tempting you to try different things likely at your own peril. That's what I've always loved about Mario though. Furthermore, there seem to be a much larger amount of hidden secrets and pathways that also encourage you to try and go into every pipe possible and to seek out every challenge. These things are no less enjoyable today as it was yesterday.

As a completionist, the game kept me satisfied with the star coins littered throughout the levels and plenty of challenges in the post game.

Overall, I came out satisfied with the game, but with 4 NSMB titles, the content is feeling more and more recycled, and it may be a time for a change.
  29. Oct 28, 2014
    A brilliantly polished 2D Mario title that doesn’t do much new, but doesn’t do much wrong either.

To start with I’d like to point out I’m hardly a 2D Mario expert, Mario 64 was my introduction to the series and my only real experience of 2D Mario games up until recently was the original Gameboy titles, I’m reliably informed those are outliers in the series. I very quickly found out that removing a dimension instantly made me rubbish at a game I’m usually good at and it took me a lot of practice to get good. Once I did however I started having a ball.

Visually it looks great, things popping out nicely in HD although if I’m going to be picky a little more vibrancy in the tone of 3D World would have been great.

The overworld is great and I’ve always liked the all levels fit a certain theme in the worlds approach, whether it be jungle, ice, or desert, there’s plenty of variety and I got a nice feeling of excitement on completing each world in anticipation of what the next world would be and how the levels were going to look. The individual levels are brilliantly designed too and all have some sort of level characteristic that isn’t repeated again making each level feel individual and ensuring that things never get repetitive, a rarity in the platformer world.

The gameplay - like the rest of the game - is polished to perfection with Mario’s mechanics feeling spot on, you feel in control despite his heavily momentum based mechanics. The difficulty curve is great and things get plenty challenging later in the game. The star coins add another level of difficulty for those who are up for the challenge.

Although I wasn’t compelled to collect all those star coins, doing so certainly adds length to a game that already has plenty of content. The star coins are very challenging at times and I found it too frustrating to go for them all but someone with more skill will likely enjoy the challenge and will be rewarded with some extra levels. I was more inclined to find the secret exits and their associated secret levels which I very much enjoyed. The secret levels were generally pretty short, but a lot of fun.

I hear that the music is basically recycled from all the previous ‘New Super Mario Bros.’ entries but as this is the first entry in the series I’ve played this didn’t bother me. I liked the music in general, it’s not amazing, but more than adequate although a little more variety would certainly have been welcome. I’m sure if you’ve played all the previous entries things will be starting to get a bit stale on the musical front by now at this point however and it’s a shame Nintendo didn’t put as much effort into the music as they clearly did the rest of the game.

The ability to play with 4 players is cool too, it’s certainly not the most optimal way to play the game, but a welcome addition nonetheless and I had a lot of fun playing co-op with a friend - even if I was losing lives like nobody’s business.

Overall this is a perfectly polished 2D Mario title with excellent and varied level design, a great overworld featuring plenty of secret exits, and plenty of content. The only things letting it down are the music, uninspired bosses, and how it doesn’t try much new. These nitpicks aside however it’s a brilliant polishing of a very enjoyable formula.
  30. Feb 26, 2016
    New super mario bros u is a good game, but not an amazing one tho.

STORY: Bowser kidnaps peach and mario must go save, well that didn't take too long. PRESENTATION: Graphics, art direction, and aesthetics everything looks nice, however that's because it looks just like all the other new super mario bros games and aside from some new graphical ideas like the new acuarela type levels
    New super mario bros u is a good game, but not an amazing one tho.

PRESENTATION: Graphics, art direction, and aesthetics everything looks nice, however that's because it looks just like all the other new super mario bros games and aside from some new graphical ideas like the new acuarela type levels and such there's really nothing terribly new, but the game still looks good, it's colorful, it's in HD and for me that's all i need to keep my eyes happy.

GAMEPLAY: It's pretty much just new super mario bros wii with some "new" things, obviously, mario controls exactly like his wii counterpart, he can jump, run, ground pound and do the spin jump.
    There are some new levels and bosses, but many ideas are ripped right out of new super mario bros wii and the new power ups like the acorn suit along with the P variation aren't enough to make it feel fresh. All the old power ups are back, though you can unlock use the propeller and penguin suit in the special 9th world, yeah that's back too and once again you have to collect all star coins of every level of every world to unlock all the level of the...well 9th world (and no it's not a spoiler because anyone that has played any mario game post super mario world knows that something like this exists).
    The level designs once again are creative and solid and there's secret alternate roots hidden in some levels to get shortcuts to reach bowser a lot earlier, but you will have to play an extra level in order to complete the shortcut. Yoshi is back to give you power ups when you collect 5 fruits , he can eat enemies and do the flutter jump, but now the baby yoshis are back from super mario world and depending on the color they can do a number of things, the yellow ones can illuminate areas, the pink ones can become a balloon and allow you to get multiple jumps in the air, finally the blue one's can shoot bubbles that can convert enemies into coins and you can bounce on them.
    In toad houses you can play minigames to get more power ups (that you can stack up in a bar returning from super mario bros 3) and get extra lives. There's also this nabbits chases where you have to catch a thief named nabbit in order to return the stuff that he robbed to a toad, this is the way that you get the P acorn suit. Enemy battles are back from super mario bros 3 and they behave just like in that game, you enter a battle arena to clear out the enemies in it and if you do it you will get a reward. Finally local 4 player madness it's back and it's more chaotic than ever, now a 5th player can join in on the madness, by placing platforms all over the level....just....don't do it. I can't talk much about the challenge or mii modes because i haven't touched them, but i'm sure they are fun.

In conclusion New Super Mario Bros U it's a good game, but i don't think it's worth paying full price for it, unlike the title says the game is not that "new" and it really depends on old mechanics in order to have quality and doesn't do anything to set it apart from the wii counterpart, on top of all that the game is not that hard. I managed to remain at above 80 lives in my entire playthrough with it clocking at 12 hours with 100% completion. I feel that if you already have New super mario bros wii, then i say you are not missing on anything, but if you don't and just so happens that you have a wii u....then go ahead pick it up, but only on the cheap. I'll give it a 8/10. It's a good game but nothing spectacular.

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.