8.0

1. Jan 23, 2013
    Don't think that this is "Just another Mario game", sure it's the same 2D side-scrolling gameplay that are in the other 2D Mario games but the fantastic level design and challenge help this game feel fresh. The game looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic (although it's not as good as other Mario games). As far as Wii U features go aside from using the touch screen in the menu youDon't think that this is "Just another Mario game", sure it's the same 2D side-scrolling gameplay that are in the other 2D Mario games but the fantastic level design and challenge help this game feel fresh. The game looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic (although it's not as good as other Mario games). As far as Wii U features go aside from using the touch screen in the menu you can play the entire game on the gamepad, but the game looks so good on the big screen nobody will blame you if you never look at the pad, it's helpful on bathroom breaks though. The only real use for the gamepad functionality is in multiplayer. You can have the gamepad player place blocks onscreen to jump on which can really save your bacon on some of the more difficult levels. Multiplayer is at it's best when it's two players and one of them is using the gamepad, get more than two together and the game turns into a chaotic, albeit humorous, mess. To play this game with more than two people and actually make some progress you need to communicate, or else game time can turn into fight night. The game packs a lot of content not only do you have the lengthy story mode you also have various challenge modes which will keep you playing after you beat the story mode. The only real issue I have with this game is the amount of recycled bosses, I swear I fought the same boss at least half a dozen times. If your a Mario fan, 2D platformer fan, or just like good, challenging games than you should really consider picking this up. Expand
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    It's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing awayIt's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing away enemies. It's certainly not the best Mario platformer, but it's a pretty good Wii U title. 9/10 Expand
  3. Oct 23, 2014
    The game not only comes free for many of the Wii U's skews, but it's also a valuable game still marketed at nearly full price today, because you just can't beat Nintendo quality. The side-scrolling adventure is fun with 1-5 players and has a very fast paced, methodical nature. It's worlds are vibrantly colored and varied, and the game has a lot to keep you coming back for more.
  4. Jan 18, 2013
    With Mario you know what your getting a fun side scrolling adventure which you can now play with your friends. I haven't tried it with the gamepad 5th player but it sounds like a good enough idea. I find this game plays best with 2 players as 4 can make it a pain. I like that we are back to one huge world instead of 8 seperate ones (like back in Super Nintendo days) They have added someWith Mario you know what your getting a fun side scrolling adventure which you can now play with your friends. I haven't tried it with the gamepad 5th player but it sounds like a good enough idea. I find this game plays best with 2 players as 4 can make it a pain. I like that we are back to one huge world instead of 8 seperate ones (like back in Super Nintendo days) They have added some new game modes and twists to the standard formula ( like the races and chasing a guy through the levels) I don't feel liked Nintendo just dusted off the last version and game it an HD ungrade. My only complaint is that you can't play online co-op. There is no good reason for this. (Little Big Planet) and I think it would really make this a perfect game. Expand
  5. Oct 28, 2014
    A brilliantly polished 2D Mario title that doesn’t do much new, but doesn’t do much wrong either.

To start with I’d like to point out I’m hardly a 2D Mario expert, Mario 64 was my introduction to the series and my only real experience of 2D Mario games up until recently was the original Gameboy titles, I’m reliably informed those are outliers in the series. I very quickly found out that removing a dimension instantly made me rubbish at a game I’m usually good at and it took me a lot of practice to get good. Once I did however I started having a ball.

Visually it looks great, things popping out nicely in HD although if I’m going to be picky a little more vibrancy in the tone of 3D World would have been great.

The overworld is great and I’ve always liked the all levels fit a certain theme in the worlds approach, whether it be jungle, ice, or desert, there’s plenty of variety and I got a nice feeling of excitement on completing each world in anticipation of what the next world would be and how the levels were going to look. The individual levels are brilliantly designed too and all have some sort of level characteristic that isn’t repeated again making each level feel individual and ensuring that things never get repetitive, a rarity in the platformer world.

The gameplay - like the rest of the game - is polished to perfection with Mario’s mechanics feeling spot on, you feel in control despite his heavily momentum based mechanics. The difficulty curve is great and things get plenty challenging later in the game. The star coins add another level of difficulty for those who are up for the challenge.

Although I wasn’t compelled to collect all those star coins, doing so certainly adds length to a game that already has plenty of content. The star coins are very challenging at times and I found it too frustrating to go for them all but someone with more skill will likely enjoy the challenge and will be rewarded with some extra levels. I was more inclined to find the secret exits and their associated secret levels which I very much enjoyed. The secret levels were generally pretty short, but a lot of fun.

I hear that the music is basically recycled from all the previous ‘New Super Mario Bros.’ entries but as this is the first entry in the series I’ve played this didn’t bother me. I liked the music in general, it’s not amazing, but more than adequate although a little more variety would certainly have been welcome. I’m sure if you’ve played all the previous entries things will be starting to get a bit stale on the musical front by now at this point however and it’s a shame Nintendo didn’t put as much effort into the music as they clearly did the rest of the game.

The ability to play with 4 players is cool too, it’s certainly not the most optimal way to play the game, but a welcome addition nonetheless and I had a lot of fun playing co-op with a friend - even if I was losing lives like nobody’s business.

Overall this is a perfectly polished 2D Mario title with excellent and varied level design, a great overworld featuring plenty of secret exits, and plenty of content. The only things letting it down are the music, uninspired bosses, and how it doesn’t try much new. These nitpicks aside however it’s a brilliant polishing of a very enjoyable formula.
  6. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge isThis game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge is just so dang satisfying. Expand
  7. Dec 24, 2012
    If you have ever played a Mario game, you already know what this game is. It has the same core as mario did, but this game adds new mechanics throughout the game to stop it from being a redesigned New Super Mario Bros. The new concepts, like the falling head statues, are welcome and make this one of the bet games Mario has to offer. If you put all nostalgia aside, and look at this game asIf you have ever played a Mario game, you already know what this game is. It has the same core as mario did, but this game adds new mechanics throughout the game to stop it from being a redesigned New Super Mario Bros. The new concepts, like the falling head statues, are welcome and make this one of the bet games Mario has to offer. If you put all nostalgia aside, and look at this game as a single release for quality, you'll know that this is one of Mario's best adventures thus far. If your looking for some redemption on New Super Mario Bros 2, this game is it. It shines as a diamond in the pile of similar mario games. If you enjoy good fun games, treat yourself to this game. Expand
  8. Mar 11, 2013
    This game does not just remake new super mario bros it revamps it. Sure it may not be perfect but no game is and this game truily feels like the perfect 2d mario game with good challange, gameplay, diffrent modes, wii u multiplayer/touch control, online, and the hd with a classic mario feel.
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    At this point you know what you are getting into when you play a 2D Mario game, Perfect controls with some of the most fun platforming gameplay whether you are alone or playing co-op, I think this is the best of the "New Super Mario Bros." series with nice crisp graphics, excellent gameplay and some fun power-ups and some of the best platforming level design out there, It doesn't changeAt this point you know what you are getting into when you play a 2D Mario game, Perfect controls with some of the most fun platforming gameplay whether you are alone or playing co-op, I think this is the best of the "New Super Mario Bros." series with nice crisp graphics, excellent gameplay and some fun power-ups and some of the best platforming level design out there, It doesn't change the design of the game a lot, but it perfects it and as one of the launch titles for Wii U it does a good job as the first HD Mario game. That's not forgetting the fact that you get Challenge modes, Boost Rush mode and tons of content to do after the main game is complete including star coin hunting and much more, This will keep you playing for a long while and it is probably the best launch title for the Wii U. Expand
  10. Feb 21, 2014
    I beat it in only 2 days! It is a must play game. This time, it's really challenging. Best game of 2012 in my personal opinion. Better than Assassin's Creed 3.
  11. Nov 24, 2013
    This is the best 2.D. Super Mario since Super Mario Bros. 3. While it may seem like a simple 2.D. platform game, New Super Mario Bros. U is the true sequel to Super Mario World which was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. While there is a lack of the lovable green dinosaur in this game in comparison to Super Mario World, gimmicks which made that game great happen to make this anThis is the best 2.D. Super Mario since Super Mario Bros. 3. While it may seem like a simple 2.D. platform game, New Super Mario Bros. U is the true sequel to Super Mario World which was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. While there is a lack of the lovable green dinosaur in this game in comparison to Super Mario World, gimmicks which made that game great happen to make this an amazing platform game. There is a severe lack of wanting to replay this game...and it's a shame. Worth a buy if you're a fan of Super Mario. Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    So basically this game is all the good stuff you liked about Mario when you were a kid, when you were a teen, and now if you're an adult like me, all the stuff you would hope to see. It's basically waay good graphics and gameplay, music and some cute storylines, packed into a promising new console. yeh
  13. Apr 11, 2013
    My past involving 2D Super Mario games hasn't been good. Playing them would always lead me to eventual frustration and abandonment of the game altogether. I liked the games, but I never loved them. I simply wasn't skilled enough, nor patient enough, to continue on and finish the game. That is, until I started playing New Super Mario Bros. U. This game is the most indulgent experience inMy past involving 2D Super Mario games hasn't been good. Playing them would always lead me to eventual frustration and abandonment of the game altogether. I liked the games, but I never loved them. I simply wasn't skilled enough, nor patient enough, to continue on and finish the game. That is, until I started playing New Super Mario Bros. U. This game is the most indulgent experience in the series to date. The content is enormous. The designs are flawless. And the quality...oh, bellissimo! I knew I would like this game, but I never suspected I would love it this much. I've also gotten 100% completion something I would never dream was possible for me in a 2D Mario adventure and I'm still wanting to play more. The New Super Luigi U content destined to come out later this year cannot arrive soon enough, and will effectively double the content of an already-mammoth game. If you're considering picking up a Wii U, and you can't decide which game to choose, pick New Super Mario Bros. U. Even if 2D Mario adventures aren't your cup of tea, you won't be disappointed with the content-cost ratio. Plus the multiplayer is absolutely hilarious. Expand
  14. Nov 26, 2012
    Great game that feels more like the old 16 bit counterparts then the less-than-great Wii & DS entries. The added Challenge mode and Boost Rush are SERIOUS FUN and push this game from a high low 9 to a 10. Seriously, finally adding some new, and not gimmicky modes to the Mario Bros formula is a step in the right direction, FINALLY! :)
  15. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece. It takes the perfect platforming Mario formula, and adds new features that breathe new life in an already amazing game series. The controls are top-notch; they are tight and responsive, and just the perfect degree of control you would expect from a Mario game. The level design is the best yet in the series. The graphics are incredible. Mario in 1080p looksThis game is a masterpiece. It takes the perfect platforming Mario formula, and adds new features that breathe new life in an already amazing game series. The controls are top-notch; they are tight and responsive, and just the perfect degree of control you would expect from a Mario game. The level design is the best yet in the series. The graphics are incredible. Mario in 1080p looks outstanding, and the amount of detail in every background is breathtaking. The game has a large world map, sort of like what is in Super Mario World. There are not a lot of new power-ups this time around, but it's definitely quality over quality. The new squirrel suit (I think that's what it is) is one of the best power-ups I've ever used in a Mario game. You can hold the jump button to glide in the air, and shake the wii remote to gain some extra height. The extra modes are incredible, and add a ton of replay value in this game. Finally, we have a challenge mode where Mario veterans are able do speed runs, coin-collecting runs, etc., and it's just a lot of fun. The game automatically saves your best run so you can watch your triumph at any time. All in all, this game is highly recommended, and one of the best games of the year. Expand
  16. Nov 11, 2014
    Easily the best in the New Super Mario Bros series. Even though it offers almost nothing new, the beautiful graphics from the wii u and the fluent game play makes it easily the best.
  17. Jul 5, 2014
    One of the best Games on the Wii U , Graphics Look Stunning , Its Old School Mario at its Best , definitely worth picking up a wii u to play all the mario games so far , mario kart 8 , new super luigi , mario 3d world ...
  18. Mar 20, 2013
    I love that Nintendo still releases side-scrolling Mario games. Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of my favorite games, and I still enjoy playing its style of gaming. New Super Mario Bros. U takes on the traditional formula with added HD graphics, a new power-up, challenge modes, and most importantly all-new levels.

Nintendo's focus was on gameplay and it hit the nail on the head. First and

Nintendo's focus was on gameplay and it hit the nail on the head. First and foremost it is important to note that NSMBU is an extremely fun game. The storyline is essentially non-existent, the graphics are improved but nothing to rave about, and the challenge modes are a nice addition, but this game prides itself on side-scrolling goodness and Nintendo does it best.

Simply, if you like side-scrolling platforming, you'll love NSMBU as it perfectly executes the genre.
  19. Oct 30, 2013
    Great game, been a console gamer without a wii, I haven't played a 2D mario game since the snes years. Beautiful game, one of the best 2D platformers out there. Maybe the only modern platformer that really works well. Great job nintendo with the level design. Too bad too many 2D mario games in 2 years, spoiled this game for many.
  20. Nov 21, 2012
    First off, the squirrel suit is awesome...They added some nice extra modes in this to extend the fun beyond what some of the previous NSMB games have had. The visuals look really nice on the wii u. The music feels like they stepped it up a bit in this versus the previous games which I thought had pretty cheesy circus music. This is another solid platformer with a nice challenge to it.First off, the squirrel suit is awesome...They added some nice extra modes in this to extend the fun beyond what some of the previous NSMB games have had. The visuals look really nice on the wii u. The music feels like they stepped it up a bit in this versus the previous games which I thought had pretty cheesy circus music. This is another solid platformer with a nice challenge to it. If you are trying to figure out what wii u game to get...you can't really go wrong with this one. Expand
  21. Jan 7, 2013
    The game is enjoyable and pretty challenging from a pure game play standpoint. Graphically, the game looks great, and controls well. The level design and enemy variety is awesome, and so are the power-ups (the Super Acorn is cool). The multiplayer was fun (it doesn't need online, by the way), and there are other modes to explore aside from story mode. I can't say its perfect, because thereThe game is enjoyable and pretty challenging from a pure game play standpoint. Graphically, the game looks great, and controls well. The level design and enemy variety is awesome, and so are the power-ups (the Super Acorn is cool). The multiplayer was fun (it doesn't need online, by the way), and there are other modes to explore aside from story mode. I can't say its perfect, because there were a couple negatives. You can only resume from a quick save point once (I wished it could be done more than that), and the game does not have as much originality as other versions. People who hate Nintendo doing the whole re-hashing thing over and over again are missing the point: the formula really does work that well (which goes for other Nintendo franchises and non-Nintendo franchises as well). In the end, a refining of a truly great platforming series. 8.5/10 Expand
  22. Jul 30, 2013
    New Super Mario Bros U is a blast HD gameplay of the funest on wii u ever of a adventure also new items such as squirrel form propellering and penguin suit
  23. Jan 17, 2013
    What can I say, it's Nintendo and it's Mario. New Super Mario Bros U is the first HD Mario ever and it looks amazing. The new controller works great, and you can play through the entire game without a TV, just use the display on the gamepad. The music is what you expect in a Mario game, and so are the levels. You can play up to five players. Four playing with Wiimotes and one playing withWhat can I say, it's Nintendo and it's Mario. New Super Mario Bros U is the first HD Mario ever and it looks amazing. The new controller works great, and you can play through the entire game without a TV, just use the display on the gamepad. The music is what you expect in a Mario game, and so are the levels. You can play up to five players. Four playing with Wiimotes and one playing with the gamepad in Boost Mode where you can help the other players by placing platforms. If love like Mario, you'll love this game. Expand
  24. Aug 16, 2014
    This is not another NSMB game. Instead, this is Mario 3 and Mario World combined, creating an amazing and memorable experience that makes this by far my favorite 2d Mario game (and yes I've played through world and 3, which are 2 and 3 respectively). The graphics and sound are great, and as the first hd Mario game the colors really "pop." The game is easy to pick up and play by anyone.This is not another NSMB game. Instead, this is Mario 3 and Mario World combined, creating an amazing and memorable experience that makes this by far my favorite 2d Mario game (and yes I've played through world and 3, which are 2 and 3 respectively). The graphics and sound are great, and as the first hd Mario game the colors really "pop." The game is easy to pick up and play by anyone. An obvious buy for fans of Nintendo's most famous franchise. Expand
  25. Nov 19, 2012
    This game is the side scrolling Mario game we have wanted at long last. The game is a great single player game as well as an amazing co-op game which is hard to come across! I enjoy playing single player on the wiiu pad nearly as much as on the TV with 3 other players, the Wiiu pad being used for the boost mode is great fun! Weither you are helping or trolling with the wiiu pad it is allThis game is the side scrolling Mario game we have wanted at long last. The game is a great single player game as well as an amazing co-op game which is hard to come across! I enjoy playing single player on the wiiu pad nearly as much as on the TV with 3 other players, the Wiiu pad being used for the boost mode is great fun! Weither you are helping or trolling with the wiiu pad it is all fun and just as great as actually playing the game so I concider this game 5 player. The world map is fun and the addition of the baby yoshis is fantastic! The new squirle power-up is like 3D land's tanooki suit but even more suited for a side scrolling game! The art style and graphics are beautiful and it is a unique and fresh take on the side scrolling mario games, I'd say this is the first legit mario side scroller since super mario world! It isn't just about co-op and fun it is also just a welly done game in general! Expand
  26. Nov 19, 2012
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    The perfect platformer! You might think i am lying but test it for yourself. The gameplay is tight and accurate as always, There are tons of things to do and the graphics are awesome. I literally spent hours over hours playing this to 100% completion. The formula works again, with style. The multiplayer, while very fun, is not perfect though. Sometimes it feels the other players actuallyThe perfect platformer! You might think i am lying but test it for yourself. The gameplay is tight and accurate as always, There are tons of things to do and the graphics are awesome. I literally spent hours over hours playing this to 100% completion. The formula works again, with style. The multiplayer, while very fun, is not perfect though. Sometimes it feels the other players actually get in the way of the 1st player, but it's still a great experience. Overall, Probably the best wii u game to date. Expand
  28. Dec 3, 2012
    This is the first new super mario brothers that I don't feel is lacking. It looks beautiful and the gamelplay is as good as ever. But want I like most is the ammount of content. I feel like there is so much to do and the challenge and rush mode is something that keeps bringing me back. I'd be suprised if you had a wii u and didn't have this game. If you don't have it, get it, you won't beThis is the first new super mario brothers that I don't feel is lacking. It looks beautiful and the gamelplay is as good as ever. But want I like most is the ammount of content. I feel like there is so much to do and the challenge and rush mode is something that keeps bringing me back. I'd be suprised if you had a wii u and didn't have this game. If you don't have it, get it, you won't be disappointed Expand
  29. Nov 25, 2012
    After New Super Mario Bros. 2, I was a bit worried that the New Mario franchise had run its course, and that there would be no more innovation in the series. Oh my goodness I was wrong. NSMBU is quite possible the best game in the franchise. Its easy to learn controls, great level design, challenging extra modes, and tons of unlockables make it perfect for anyone who has ever enjoyed anyAfter New Super Mario Bros. 2, I was a bit worried that the New Mario franchise had run its course, and that there would be no more innovation in the series. Oh my goodness I was wrong. NSMBU is quite possible the best game in the franchise. Its easy to learn controls, great level design, challenging extra modes, and tons of unlockables make it perfect for anyone who has ever enjoyed any video game. If is, in my opinion, the best Wii U launch title, and one you should definitely pick up. Expand
  30. Nov 21, 2012
    This is a great side scrolling mario. Graphics are amazing, very smooth and very much on par with the current gen of consoles if not better. Gameplay is typical mario with some great additions. This is a must own if you like mario / own a Wii U. The zones and levels are great and lots of detail put into this. I just hope nintendo's next mario is out of the new super mario bros genre and isThis is a great side scrolling mario. Graphics are amazing, very smooth and very much on par with the current gen of consoles if not better. Gameplay is typical mario with some great additions. This is a must own if you like mario / own a Wii U. The zones and levels are great and lots of detail put into this. I just hope nintendo's next mario is out of the new super mario bros genre and is more like a 64 style. 9/10. Expand

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.