8.0

1. Jan 23, 2013
    Don't think that this is "Just another Mario game", sure it's the same 2D side-scrolling gameplay that are in the other 2D Mario games but the fantastic level design and challenge help this game feel fresh. The game looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic (although it's not as good as other Mario games). As far as Wii U features go aside from using the touch screen in the menu youDon't think that this is "Just another Mario game", sure it's the same 2D side-scrolling gameplay that are in the other 2D Mario games but the fantastic level design and challenge help this game feel fresh. The game looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic (although it's not as good as other Mario games). As far as Wii U features go aside from using the touch screen in the menu you can play the entire game on the gamepad, but the game looks so good on the big screen nobody will blame you if you never look at the pad, it's helpful on bathroom breaks though. The only real use for the gamepad functionality is in multiplayer. You can have the gamepad player place blocks onscreen to jump on which can really save your bacon on some of the more difficult levels. Multiplayer is at it's best when it's two players and one of them is using the gamepad, get more than two together and the game turns into a chaotic, albeit humorous, mess. To play this game with more than two people and actually make some progress you need to communicate, or else game time can turn into fight night. The game packs a lot of content not only do you have the lengthy story mode you also have various challenge modes which will keep you playing after you beat the story mode. The only real issue I have with this game is the amount of recycled bosses, I swear I fought the same boss at least half a dozen times. If your a Mario fan, 2D platformer fan, or just like good, challenging games than you should really consider picking this up. Expand
  2. Jul 20, 2013
    New Super Mario U Bros is one of the best 'NSM', but not necessarily the best 'Mario' game. While the challenge level is just right, it is meant to be a homage of sort to SMB 3 and Super Mario World. As such, level designs, as original as they are, are derivative of these superior outings. Face it though, it is not the system seller that Nintendo thought it could be. It doesn't reallyNew Super Mario U Bros is one of the best 'NSM', but not necessarily the best 'Mario' game. While the challenge level is just right, it is meant to be a homage of sort to SMB 3 and Super Mario World. As such, level designs, as original as they are, are derivative of these superior outings. Face it though, it is not the system seller that Nintendo thought it could be. It doesn't really show off the Game Pad as well. Expand
  3. Oct 23, 2014
    The game not only comes free for many of the Wii U's skews, but it's also a valuable game still marketed at nearly full price today, because you just can't beat Nintendo quality. The side-scrolling adventure is fun with 1-5 players and has a very fast paced, methodical nature. It's worlds are vibrantly colored and varied, and the game has a lot to keep you coming back for more.
  4. Jul 31, 2014
    It's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing awayIt's not anything new in the Mario franchise. Although I must say, the Wii U graphics make it looks pretty good. It's decent if you play alone, but it's obviously much more fun if you play with friends. And now, 5 players can play, with the one using the Gamepad serving as a 'boost' by putting blocks in strategic places to help players over pits or other dangers and by pushing away enemies. It's certainly not the best Mario platformer, but it's a pretty good Wii U title. 9/10 Expand
  5. Jul 23, 2013
    Like most Mario games, they are very similar to each other, and in this case, it's once again the same. Though the Wii U gaming console does offer a new gadgets to help the Wii Remote player, nothing is very new in the game. Despite this, the game is very fun and enjoyable to play, and I recommend it for on the Wii U.
  6. Jan 12, 2015
    I got New Super Mario Bros. U as a compilation when I purchased my Wii U. If you want to see my review of New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U, please look at that game's page.

New Super Mario Bros. U was a Wii U launch title that tried but didn't really use the GamePad well. Thankfully, it still has the genius level design like the rest of the New Super Mario series and cheerful art style that always keeps me coming back. One of the levels in Soda Jungle (styled like Van Gogh's Starry Night) is particularly beautiful.

The multiplayer from New Super Mario Bros. Wii is back and its as hectic as ever. It still doesn't really fit my definition of fun but I guess if you have nothing else to do, you should try it out. The Flying Squirrel Acorn is the new power-up in this game. It allows you glide and hang onto walls to hide from enemies. It's really unique and I'd like to see it return in a later Mario game.

Baby Yoshis also make a return. There are three types: bubble, light, and balloon. The bubble one, as you may have guessed, blows bubbles to trap enemies and turn them into coins. The light one can create a path for you in dark underground levels and the balloon one can help you get to higher places. The Baby Yoshis are a great addition to freshen up the gameplay. One of my few problems with Mario U is that when you get to World 6, there's an insane difficulty spike but that's mostly it.

Overall, New Super Mario Bros. U is the best in the New Super Mario series and besides the lack of improvement in multiplayer and the difficulty spike, it's not anything you're going to want to miss.
  7. Mar 1, 2015
    This game is AWESOME!! The graphics,controls,characters,designs,background,etc. are all worth it. The story looks like AFTER New Super Mario Bros. Wii(great game). Please get this game.
  8. Jan 20, 2015
    This is a game that is worth the money easily, just like the first one.

PROS
    -Graphics were HD
    -easy controls
    -Nice story
    -Fun gameplay

CONS
    -A little glitchy
  9. Apr 23, 2015
    This game is awesome! Best NSMB game of them all! The graphics are amazing! The controls are great. The level designs are all good. This game also introduced someone awesome to the series (Nabbit). New Super Mario Bros U is great to play with friends and you should definitely buy this game!
  10. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is fun, but it is not as good as the Wii version. The game looks great in HD, is loads of fun in co-op and the levels are well designed. However, this game gets very boring after beating the main campaign and there are very few levels that are worth repeating. But the game is enjoyable, just not a must own.
  11. Jun 27, 2013
    As you should know by mereling reading the game's name, New Super Mario Bros U is more of the same 2D platforming magic that started making waves more than 25 years ago.

As the first Mario adventure on the Wii U, it adds the allure of HD graphics for the first time in the franchise's history. It also cleverly brings back a more fluid overworld, in the style of SNES classic Super Mario World, and it's incredible how that change alone manages to push the sense of immersion way past the 3DS counterpart, New Super Mario Bros 2.

Aside from that, there is little true innovation here. We get a new power up that transforms Mario into a flying squirrel, but it packs a sense of déjà-vu thanks to the classic raccoon suit. There's a new character as well, the rabbit-like thief Nabbit, who should pack enough charm to keep showing up in future Mario-related games.

As much as I would like to be blown away by a super-novel Mario 2D adventure, though, it's hard to complain much about this game. Fans of the genre should be satisfied with the tried-and-true action sequences, and should spend quite a few hours looking for star coins and secret exits. Aside from the main story mode, you should find plenty of extra challenges here as well, both for single-player and multiplayer experiences. And yes, getting to play with your own Mii is priceless.

Especially given the lack of new releases for the Wii U, New Super Mario Bros U should be a part of pretty much every early collection for the platform.
  12. Dec 7, 2013
    When I played New super Mario Bros 2, I was worried Nintendo had run out of new ideas, but New super Mario Bros U has proved me wrong. This is not as good as the Mario Bros DS and Wii, but it comes close. The world map is all connected, a bit like Mario World, but it's not really different from the world maps in the other mario games. Mranwhile, the levels are fantastic, full ofWhen I played New super Mario Bros 2, I was worried Nintendo had run out of new ideas, but New super Mario Bros U has proved me wrong. This is not as good as the Mario Bros DS and Wii, but it comes close. The world map is all connected, a bit like Mario World, but it's not really different from the world maps in the other mario games. Mranwhile, the levels are fantastic, full of creativity, challenge, and great design. Almost every level was cleverly designed, and the perfect difficulty balance. Especially the last three worlds were challenging, but super guide is usually there to help out noobs. Multiplayer makes it yet crazier. Some may not like multoplayer but I do. It is annoying though when the screen freezes mid-jump while someone else is collecting a power-up. That is a stupid idea. But the game doen't end there. There is also challenge mode, which contains about sixty challenges, each of which tasks you with a specific aim, eg speedrun a level, or bounce on bullet bills withput touching the ground to earn sixty 1-ups. Even the easier challrnges could have you failing many times, and the hardest could possibly have you dying hundreds of times. Challenge mode is a fantastic addition. There are also boost rush modes and coin battle. But how does nsmbu make use of the gamepad? The answer is boost mode, in which players use wiimotes, and an additional player places blocks using the gamepad. Is it fun? No- it's as creative as it sounds. But despite not using the gamepad in a good way, NSMBU is a fantastic mario game. Expand
  13. Jan 5, 2014
    This was just a great fun little game to play. The art style and music is top notch. The only reason I didn't score this games higher was the total length and difficulty. This game will only take you about 5-6hrs. to beat and the level difficulty is so easy a 5 year old can play (they did that on purpose so they can). This is a great start to Mario in HD hopefully some tougher games comeThis was just a great fun little game to play. The art style and music is top notch. The only reason I didn't score this games higher was the total length and difficulty. This game will only take you about 5-6hrs. to beat and the level difficulty is so easy a 5 year old can play (they did that on purpose so they can). This is a great start to Mario in HD hopefully some tougher games come in the future.

PS.
    The homage to old school Mario at the end was awesome
  14. Jun 2, 2013
    Without a doubt, this is the best New Mario game ever. It blows every other game in the New Mario series out of the water. it has great level design, gorgeous graphics, and fun gameplay, i believe this is the best 2D Mario game since Mario World.
  15. Feb 18, 2013
    2D mario in its absolute basic, fantastic form. not alot added, not alot taken away, just straight foward, bang on, 2d platforming. And i woulndt have it any other way. It does bother me a bit that all of the new super mario bros. games are so damn similair, but i would definitely say this game is the best in the series. some new locations, some old revisted locations, new powerups, and2D mario in its absolute basic, fantastic form. not alot added, not alot taken away, just straight foward, bang on, 2d platforming. And i woulndt have it any other way. It does bother me a bit that all of the new super mario bros. games are so damn similair, but i would definitely say this game is the best in the series. some new locations, some old revisted locations, new powerups, and new multiplayer and challenge options. nintendo knew the simple phrase "if its not broken, dont fix it" and it applies so well to this game. It would have been nice to see somthing brand new with mario's launch on the wii u, but this game is just fine. I have alot of fond christmas day memories of playing this, and its by far one of my favorite Wii U games. This is 2d mario done best, good graphics, good music, memorable set pieces, lousy story (which doesnt really apply to this game, as mario isnt built around a story), but as the first and foremost, fun gameplay. and the gameplay is where it counts. i found the twist of being thrown away and needing to work your way back to the castle to be interesting. I would reccomend this to any mario fan, platforming fan, or wii u owner. A great representation of with whats to come with mario in the near future! Expand
  16. Jan 18, 2013
    With Mario you know what your getting a fun side scrolling adventure which you can now play with your friends. I haven't tried it with the gamepad 5th player but it sounds like a good enough idea. I find this game plays best with 2 players as 4 can make it a pain. I like that we are back to one huge world instead of 8 seperate ones (like back in Super Nintendo days) They have added someWith Mario you know what your getting a fun side scrolling adventure which you can now play with your friends. I haven't tried it with the gamepad 5th player but it sounds like a good enough idea. I find this game plays best with 2 players as 4 can make it a pain. I like that we are back to one huge world instead of 8 seperate ones (like back in Super Nintendo days) They have added some new game modes and twists to the standard formula ( like the races and chasing a guy through the levels) I don't feel liked Nintendo just dusted off the last version and game it an HD ungrade. My only complaint is that you can't play online co-op. There is no good reason for this. (Little Big Planet) and I think it would really make this a perfect game. Expand
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    Mario takes his first step on Wii U, and as expected, it's fantastic. This game has the same great polish that we would expect from Nintendo, keeping everything familiar while building on it with some new mechanics. With 4 titles with the New Super Mario Bros, they are starting to outstay their welcome though.

In a nice change of events, you don't start the game near the castle, but

In a nice change of events, you don't start the game near the castle, but are rather blasted away into a forest. Also, they changed around the music, but keep the same ah's and what not in the soundtrack. This aesthetic change from the previous games are very short-lived and you quickly find that you've gone through the same exact kind of levels in the previous 3 NSMB's. As a result, you wonder how much of it's actually new and how much of it's recycled.

Nevertheless, this game offers many unique challenges that really encourage you to flex your platforming muscles, tempting you to try different things likely at your own peril. That's what I've always loved about Mario though. Furthermore, there seem to be a much larger amount of hidden secrets and pathways that also encourage you to try and go into every pipe possible and to seek out every challenge. These things are no less enjoyable today as it was yesterday.

As a completionist, the game kept me satisfied with the star coins littered throughout the levels and plenty of challenges in the post game.

Overall, I came out satisfied with the game, but with 4 NSMB titles, the content is feeling more and more recycled, and it may be a time for a change.
  18. Oct 28, 2014
    A brilliantly polished 2D Mario title that doesn’t do much new, but doesn’t do much wrong either.

To start with I’d like to point out I’m hardly a 2D Mario expert, Mario 64 was my introduction to the series and my only real experience of 2D Mario games up until recently was the original Gameboy titles, I’m reliably informed those are outliers in the series. I very quickly found out that removing a dimension instantly made me rubbish at a game I’m usually good at and it took me a lot of practice to get good. Once I did however I started having a ball.

Visually it looks great, things popping out nicely in HD although if I’m going to be picky a little more vibrancy in the tone of 3D World would have been great.

The overworld is great and I’ve always liked the all levels fit a certain theme in the worlds approach, whether it be jungle, ice, or desert, there’s plenty of variety and I got a nice feeling of excitement on completing each world in anticipation of what the next world would be and how the levels were going to look. The individual levels are brilliantly designed too and all have some sort of level characteristic that isn’t repeated again making each level feel individual and ensuring that things never get repetitive, a rarity in the platformer world.

The gameplay - like the rest of the game - is polished to perfection with Mario’s mechanics feeling spot on, you feel in control despite his heavily momentum based mechanics. The difficulty curve is great and things get plenty challenging later in the game. The star coins add another level of difficulty for those who are up for the challenge.

Although I wasn’t compelled to collect all those star coins, doing so certainly adds length to a game that already has plenty of content. The star coins are very challenging at times and I found it too frustrating to go for them all but someone with more skill will likely enjoy the challenge and will be rewarded with some extra levels. I was more inclined to find the secret exits and their associated secret levels which I very much enjoyed. The secret levels were generally pretty short, but a lot of fun.

I hear that the music is basically recycled from all the previous ‘New Super Mario Bros.’ entries but as this is the first entry in the series I’ve played this didn’t bother me. I liked the music in general, it’s not amazing, but more than adequate although a little more variety would certainly have been welcome. I’m sure if you’ve played all the previous entries things will be starting to get a bit stale on the musical front by now at this point however and it’s a shame Nintendo didn’t put as much effort into the music as they clearly did the rest of the game.

The ability to play with 4 players is cool too, it’s certainly not the most optimal way to play the game, but a welcome addition nonetheless and I had a lot of fun playing co-op with a friend - even if I was losing lives like nobody’s business.

Overall this is a perfectly polished 2D Mario title with excellent and varied level design, a great overworld featuring plenty of secret exits, and plenty of content. The only things letting it down are the music, uninspired bosses, and how it doesn’t try much new. These nitpicks aside however it’s a brilliant polishing of a very enjoyable formula.
  19. Jun 22, 2013
    It's amazing to see Mario in HD, plus it's quite interesting the idea of ​​a unified world and complete full integration with Miiverse. The idea of not being able to use the Wii U GamePad for anything in single player mode is a little bit disappointing and would have been better if in the multiplayer mode, a player could control a character. Overall, not the best Mario game, but if theIt's amazing to see Mario in HD, plus it's quite interesting the idea of ​​a unified world and complete full integration with Miiverse. The idea of not being able to use the Wii U GamePad for anything in single player mode is a little bit disappointing and would have been better if in the multiplayer mode, a player could control a character. Overall, not the best Mario game, but if the best game of Wii U so far. Expand
  20. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge isThis game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge is just so dang satisfying. Expand
  21. Dec 24, 2012
    If you have ever played a Mario game, you already know what this game is. It has the same core as mario did, but this game adds new mechanics throughout the game to stop it from being a redesigned New Super Mario Bros. The new concepts, like the falling head statues, are welcome and make this one of the bet games Mario has to offer. If you put all nostalgia aside, and look at this game asIf you have ever played a Mario game, you already know what this game is. It has the same core as mario did, but this game adds new mechanics throughout the game to stop it from being a redesigned New Super Mario Bros. The new concepts, like the falling head statues, are welcome and make this one of the bet games Mario has to offer. If you put all nostalgia aside, and look at this game as a single release for quality, you'll know that this is one of Mario's best adventures thus far. If your looking for some redemption on New Super Mario Bros 2, this game is it. It shines as a diamond in the pile of similar mario games. If you enjoy good fun games, treat yourself to this game. Expand
  22. Mar 11, 2013
    This game does not just remake new super mario bros it revamps it. Sure it may not be perfect but no game is and this game truily feels like the perfect 2d mario game with good challange, gameplay, diffrent modes, wii u multiplayer/touch control, online, and the hd with a classic mario feel.
  23. Apr 11, 2013
    My past involving 2D Super Mario games hasn't been good. Playing them would always lead me to eventual frustration and abandonment of the game altogether. I liked the games, but I never loved them. I simply wasn't skilled enough, nor patient enough, to continue on and finish the game. That is, until I started playing New Super Mario Bros. U. This game is the most indulgent experience inMy past involving 2D Super Mario games hasn't been good. Playing them would always lead me to eventual frustration and abandonment of the game altogether. I liked the games, but I never loved them. I simply wasn't skilled enough, nor patient enough, to continue on and finish the game. That is, until I started playing New Super Mario Bros. U. This game is the most indulgent experience in the series to date. The content is enormous. The designs are flawless. And the quality...oh, bellissimo! I knew I would like this game, but I never suspected I would love it this much. I've also gotten 100% completion something I would never dream was possible for me in a 2D Mario adventure and I'm still wanting to play more. The New Super Luigi U content destined to come out later this year cannot arrive soon enough, and will effectively double the content of an already-mammoth game. If you're considering picking up a Wii U, and you can't decide which game to choose, pick New Super Mario Bros. U. Even if 2D Mario adventures aren't your cup of tea, you won't be disappointed with the content-cost ratio. Plus the multiplayer is absolutely hilarious. Expand
  24. Sep 5, 2014
    New Super Mario Bros U is a very familiar entry to the Mario bros lineup but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Visuals On the Wii U for SMB U look beautiful in HD, all of the worlds look vibrant and everything is crisp. As for Game-play the level designs are pretty good overall with some really good twist thrown into each world. the new suits they added to the game are greatNew Super Mario Bros U is a very familiar entry to the Mario bros lineup but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The Visuals On the Wii U for SMB U look beautiful in HD, all of the worlds look vibrant and everything is crisp. As for Game-play the level designs are pretty good overall with some really good twist thrown into each world. the new suits they added to the game are great additions including the acorn suit and the ice flower suit, as well as the baby yoshi's which offer up different interesting ways to tackle a level. The game is pretty challenging and rewarding thanks to the very nice controls. it feels great on the game-pad to move around and is very responsive. The only gripe is that sometimes Mario is a bit slippery after a jump. As for Sound, The soundtrack isn't bad but it does get repetitive after awhile but im glad they kept some of the original stuff from previous games. Replay-ability isn't to good unfortunately, i completed the game in a couple of weeks and after that there isn't to much incentive to go back and give the levels another try except for the star coins which don't offer any reward.

Verdict- Super Mario Bros. U is a very Familiar game which is unfortunate at times because i want change sometimes but they stuck to the core formula and added enough changes where it doesn't feel like a repeat. the sound isn't bad but gets repetitive after awhile and the replay-ability isn't to great but the core game-play is still as fun as ever so if your a big Mario fan you should definitely pick this game up.
  25. Mar 14, 2013
    At this point you know what you are getting into when you play a 2D Mario game, Perfect controls with some of the most fun platforming gameplay whether you are alone or playing co-op, I think this is the best of the "New Super Mario Bros." series with nice crisp graphics, excellent gameplay and some fun power-ups and some of the best platforming level design out there, It doesn't changeAt this point you know what you are getting into when you play a 2D Mario game, Perfect controls with some of the most fun platforming gameplay whether you are alone or playing co-op, I think this is the best of the "New Super Mario Bros." series with nice crisp graphics, excellent gameplay and some fun power-ups and some of the best platforming level design out there, It doesn't change the design of the game a lot, but it perfects it and as one of the launch titles for Wii U it does a good job as the first HD Mario game. That's not forgetting the fact that you get Challenge modes, Boost Rush mode and tons of content to do after the main game is complete including star coin hunting and much more, This will keep you playing for a long while and it is probably the best launch title for the Wii U. Expand
  26. Feb 21, 2014
    I beat it in only 2 days! It is a must play game. This time, it's really challenging. Best game of 2012 in my personal opinion. Better than Assassin's Creed 3.
  27. Nov 24, 2013
    This is the best 2.D. Super Mario since Super Mario Bros. 3. While it may seem like a simple 2.D. platform game, New Super Mario Bros. U is the true sequel to Super Mario World which was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. While there is a lack of the lovable green dinosaur in this game in comparison to Super Mario World, gimmicks which made that game great happen to make this anThis is the best 2.D. Super Mario since Super Mario Bros. 3. While it may seem like a simple 2.D. platform game, New Super Mario Bros. U is the true sequel to Super Mario World which was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. While there is a lack of the lovable green dinosaur in this game in comparison to Super Mario World, gimmicks which made that game great happen to make this an amazing platform game. There is a severe lack of wanting to replay this game...and it's a shame. Worth a buy if you're a fan of Super Mario. Expand
  28. Jun 21, 2013
    The best 2D mario yet, but I think 2D mario has had it's day. A lot of the stuff is the same thing we've seen a million times before. However crisps HD graphics and the co-op gameplay involving the gamepad make it a good game worht playing.
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    So basically this game is all the good stuff you liked about Mario when you were a kid, when you were a teen, and now if you're an adult like me, all the stuff you would hope to see. It's basically waay good graphics and gameplay, music and some cute storylines, packed into a promising new console. yeh
  30. Sep 24, 2013
    There is very little in this game that I would consider to be "new", nonetheless, it is an expertly crafted experience with truly excellent platforming and level design that only Nintendo can create. Existing fans of the series already know what they are getting into and should be quite content with its offering.

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.