8.1

1. Dec 3, 2013
    I just recently bought a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U. This has been the most poorly constructed Mario game that I can remember. I enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. This new Wii U version is the EXACT same thing. The graphics look identical and the game play feels identical. If anything, this game is less creative than the former version. New Super Mario Bros U is aI just recently bought a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U. This has been the most poorly constructed Mario game that I can remember. I enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. This new Wii U version is the EXACT same thing. The graphics look identical and the game play feels identical. If anything, this game is less creative than the former version. New Super Mario Bros U is a fast cash grabbing solution to a struggling console. Expand
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    It's wonderful to note that this is the same game with some extra gimmicks. Nothing is developed in this game, nothing feels new or refreshed, nothing introduced as a new concept. it has good feel and great graphics, but if the gameplay is redundant, the music is redundant, the game feels old, what's the damn point of even buying it. I don't recommend if you don't want more of the sameIt's wonderful to note that this is the same game with some extra gimmicks. Nothing is developed in this game, nothing feels new or refreshed, nothing introduced as a new concept. it has good feel and great graphics, but if the gameplay is redundant, the music is redundant, the game feels old, what's the damn point of even buying it. I don't recommend if you don't want more of the same from cash-cow mario team. Expand
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    Super Mario Games have always brought joy, fun and laughter, and the New Super Mario Bros U game was no exception. Adding HD graphics and artistic detailed levels it truly will amaze. NSMBU is also one of the few launch titles that fully integrate Miiverse, a social community specially created for the Wii U, and it integrates it beautifully! Although the Super Mario games have not changedSuper Mario Games have always brought joy, fun and laughter, and the New Super Mario Bros U game was no exception. Adding HD graphics and artistic detailed levels it truly will amaze. NSMBU is also one of the few launch titles that fully integrate Miiverse, a social community specially created for the Wii U, and it integrates it beautifully! Although the Super Mario games have not changed for the past few decades not really adding the 'new,' it will truly still bring in a good laugh for hardcore and casual gamers alike. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2012
    This game could be worse, but not much worse. This is a Mario Bros. game, which is such a popular franchise because of their addictive game play stemming from tight controls, without tight control. Want to run, for example? Then you better have half the screen in front of you before you start. I don't know if this is because of the game itself or because of the game pad, but it makes theThis game could be worse, but not much worse. This is a Mario Bros. game, which is such a popular franchise because of their addictive game play stemming from tight controls, without tight control. Want to run, for example? Then you better have half the screen in front of you before you start. I don't know if this is because of the game itself or because of the game pad, but it makes the game nearly unplayable. The bottom line is that I would only recommend this game for kids. Kids young enough to not know the difference between good and bad games, because that's who this game was made for. If you really want to play a newer Mario game do yourself a favor and get Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS instead. Collapse
  5. Sep 30, 2013
    I remember when new mario games by Nintendo EAD were always genre defying AAA epics. It literally feels like i've beaten this game before and it literally feels like Nintendo is lazier than ever.

Too lazy to go with a 4th character instead using a color palette swapped toad, too lazy for actual minibosses reminicent of the yoshis island series, to lazy to put any real heart into their new mario games instead pimping out a cheap SUB-PAR completely acceptable standard product unlike in the olden days before wii fit, wii sports, wii play, and wii party when nintendo actually thought they had to put effort and content into their games for them to sell.
  6. Jan 10, 2015
    This game is fun, but I'm giving this a low score for two reasons:

1) This game is basically the same as the original Wii game, just with different levels and a few slightly new features. 2) The whole reason that Luigi exists is because Nintendo needed a second character for 2-player NES games. They also created Waluigi out of thin-air solely because Wario needed a doubles partner in
    This game is fun, but I'm giving this a low score for two reasons:

2) The whole reason that Luigi exists is because Nintendo needed a second character for 2-player NES games. They also created Waluigi out of thin-air solely because Wario needed a doubles partner in Mario Tennis. So why on earth are we stuck playing with TWO Toads? Why hasn't Nintendo used this opportunity to introduce two new characters to join Mario and Luigi as the "stars" of the game?

Instead of giving us two brand new characters that could be spun off in a ton of other games (not to mention could help increase the character stable for sporting games; who else is sick of all these "baby" characters in Mario Kart? amiright?) they completely blow it and give us not one, but TWO, Toad characters. LAME

Oh well, if you've never played the original Wii game, then this would probably be a fun pickup. If you have played the original Wii game, there really is no reason to get this. It probably should have just been cheap DLC, since, again, it's basically the exact same game, just different levels.
  7. Feb 13, 2015
    What can be said? What can really be said about this game? Well, for one thing, it really shows that Nintendo don't know what the word "new" means for a start, but let's get into detail.

Sadly, there's no reason to have any high expectations for this game as it's basically New Super Mario Bros Wii only slightly different. If anything, t's mostly just an expansion pack sold as an actual game. New Super Mario Bros. U holds the series back to its roots to create another so-so game that feels rehashed due to not including enough content.

With rehashes, the game follows such trends by copy pasting graphics, gameplay, music, power-ups and more. It's not that the game is generally bad or unenjoyable, it's just not very much worthwhile. More or less a come and go game.

Many models are reused which is a darn shame as the Wii U is truly capable of some great visuals, proven by its library of stunning visual masterpieces. This game falls short in that aspect as it pulls over from its Wii counterpart and lacks much appeal, save for some cool backgrounds and an overworld. But past that? Jack all.

Likewise with the visuals and pretty much else with this game, the gameplay has little to impress or keep you interested. It follows the same control functions as it did previously, which, I wouldn't have minded so much if not for how so few new power-ups appeared and many seemed to disappear. The Propeller and Penguin suits are almost nowhere to be found here, instead the game focuses on a new Squirrel power -up that lets you glide, fall slowly and, for whatever reason lets you stick to a wall for a while that has little no effect on the gameplay. It's standard stuff, nothing amazing, not much impressive and quite predictable. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" you might say? Well guess what? I'm not asking it to be fixed, I'm asking for substance and a game that is actually "new" in more than just one small new obligatory power-up. There's no sense of evolution, no feel of improvement or progression. It's just stuck in the past. The reason we liked Mario then was because it was new then, it was trying new ideas, this one doesn't break boundaries when it comes to beating a dead horse.

Level designs are the only redeeming quality about the gameplay, while no new enemies appear in particular, the levels are fair enough and deserve some praise. However, boss fights do tend to drag after a while. The Koopalings returning in NSMBW was cool and they all had different gimmicks to them which complimented their personalities. This game takes an even safer route with its same enemy, different dungeon tactic of adding a smaller twist every so often that equates to giving nearly no cares.

Speaking of which, the music is also so-so and rehashed like always. The music never bothered me but it did manage to bore me after a while, the only time I really cared about the music was because it was there. Why should I care, though? Why should I be immersed on an adventure through the mushroom kingdom to save a princess (AGAIN) from a giant turtle when all I can hear from my music is just some simple carefree stuff? I'm not asking for epic choirs, I'm, again, asking for significance, asking for satisfaction. There's no sense of adventure, just a casual, passive stroll without a care in the world.

Like I mentioned, the story also remains the same. Bowser kidnaps princess. Mario must save princess. Princess is saved. (Cake.) When it comes to story in these games I wouldn't ask for much to be improved upon just a tad that could make it seem more adventure like, Super Mario 3D Land managed to at least do this with some mild cutscenes (even for how needless they were) they were slightly substantial at least. Here? Nothing. Though, I guess it could also be seen as good that the story doesn't interrupt the gameplay. So I'll give it that.

But, all in all. New Super Mario Bros. U was a petty launch title. A quick rehash to grab your money from Nintendo. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. From one of the greatest gaming icons to a cheap cash cow. Well done, Nintendo. Well done. Game design is simple and playable, but nothing we haven't already seen. Looking for something new? Don't let the name fool you, or you'll just be disappointed.
  8. Nov 26, 2012

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.