8.0

1. Dec 3, 2013
    I just recently bought a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U. This has been the most poorly constructed Mario game that I can remember. I enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. This new Wii U version is the EXACT same thing. The graphics look identical and the game play feels identical. If anything, this game is less creative than the former version. New Super Mario Bros U is aI just recently bought a Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U. This has been the most poorly constructed Mario game that I can remember. I enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros for the Wii. This new Wii U version is the EXACT same thing. The graphics look identical and the game play feels identical. If anything, this game is less creative than the former version. New Super Mario Bros U is a fast cash grabbing solution to a struggling console. Expand
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    This is a good, fun and addicting game, the first time through. Now that I've finished every level, I can't go back. I've tried, but in the end i play for 5 minutes then quit.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    This is a great looking update to the traditional Mario format, which has always been a favourite with my kids. My son brought his friends home from school to play it on the day our new Wii U arrived. Cue 3 hours of non-stop shrieks of enjoyment!

It doesn't really show off the Gamepad's features as well as some other Wii-U games, and my youngest beat the game on single player mode within a couple of weeks (he is a particularly adept player, though) The co-op feature is where it shines, I think, and judging by all the grinning faces, this game is a solid hit.
  4. Jul 23, 2013
    I had fun playing New Super Mario U and this is really all that matters. The game has the bright and cheerful animation that we all have come to expect from any Mario games. It has great responsive controls, and a decent variety of levels. As always, at least in recent years, each level has 3 star coins to collect. Whether or not you choose to get each and every one will greatly effectI had fun playing New Super Mario U and this is really all that matters. The game has the bright and cheerful animation that we all have come to expect from any Mario games. It has great responsive controls, and a decent variety of levels. As always, at least in recent years, each level has 3 star coins to collect. Whether or not you choose to get each and every one will greatly effect how long it takes you to play the game. If you skip the star coins or just use a guide to get them then your play through will be pretty fast. What I did was make a legitimate attempt to get each star coin on my own. If I couldn't find one I would just skip it and move on. Then at the very end I came back using a guide and picked up everything I missed. Of the 240+ star coins there were only 5 or so I ended up using a guide for and of the secret exits I found half on my own. Using that system It took me a while to beat the game.

So why didn't I give the game a 10?

1. I found the game too easy, and that did take a little of the enjoyment away.

2. Yoshi and especially baby Yoshi feel like they were tacked on at the very end. Neither were important to any level as all could be beaten without a Yoshi. They were also used so rarely that they just seem out of place. By comparison Yoshi was a major part of Mario World with level catered around him. They really should have done the same with mario u.

3. The game played it too safe. It didn't innovate the franchise at all. Not in level design, not in power ups, not in anything. The few parts that were interesting were all shown in advance to the game launching so they didn't even have the impact they could have had.

4. I don't like the world map. Everything connecting everywhere makes it too hard to replay each level. A secret exit will create a long track leading to a secret level. If you want to replay the game using your existing game file it makes for A very schizophrenic experience with paths constantly leading away.

5. I found the music disappointing. Mario games usually have a great soundtrack but the tracks in Mario u were bland and uninspired. This actually is my biggest gripe with the game.

To be clear none of these problems ruins the experience of the game. Its still fun and its definitely worth picking up. They just prevent it from being a Masterpiece
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    In my opinion New Super Mario Bros. U is The Best 2D Mario Game Ever Made! Take it from someone who loved super mario world and still plays it. NSMBU has it beat. Level are fun and get pretty challenging. the multiplayer changes the game in a cool way. not to mention the Challenge modes will keep you coming back for for! I'm glad nintendo started packing this game in with the system, causeIn my opinion New Super Mario Bros. U is The Best 2D Mario Game Ever Made! Take it from someone who loved super mario world and still plays it. NSMBU has it beat. Level are fun and get pretty challenging. the multiplayer changes the game in a cool way. not to mention the Challenge modes will keep you coming back for for! I'm glad nintendo started packing this game in with the system, cause it is a system seller like super Mario World was! Expand
  6. Oct 30, 2013
    Great game, been a console gamer without a wii, I haven't played a 2D mario game since the snes years. Beautiful game, one of the best 2D platformers out there. Maybe the only modern platformer that really works well. Great job nintendo with the level design. Too bad too many 2D mario games in 2 years, spoiled this game for many.
  7. Feb 21, 2014
    I beat it in only 2 days! It is a must play game. This time, it's really challenging. Best game of 2012 in my personal opinion. Better than Assassin's Creed 3.
  8. Mar 16, 2014
    This game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge isThis game is perfect. Of the New Super Mario Bros line of games, this one is the best, by far. The visuals are gorgeous, the soundtrack is wonderful, and the levels are impeccably designed. The game is overall insanely difficult, especially the challenges, but I kept coming back even after all the frustration because watching the replay of yourself make a perfect run through a challenge is just so dang satisfying. Expand
  9. Jan 20, 2015
    This is a game that is worth the money easily, just like the first one.

PROS
    -Graphics were HD
    -easy controls
    -Nice story
    -Fun gameplay

CONS
    -A little glitchy
  10. Mar 1, 2015
    This game is AWESOME!! The graphics,controls,characters,designs,background,etc. are all worth it. The story looks like AFTER New Super Mario Bros. Wii(great game). Please get this game.
  11. Dec 3, 2012
    This is the first new super mario brothers that I don't feel is lacking. It looks beautiful and the gamelplay is as good as ever. But want I like most is the ammount of content. I feel like there is so much to do and the challenge and rush mode is something that keeps bringing me back. I'd be suprised if you had a wii u and didn't have this game. If you don't have it, get it, you won't beThis is the first new super mario brothers that I don't feel is lacking. It looks beautiful and the gamelplay is as good as ever. But want I like most is the ammount of content. I feel like there is so much to do and the challenge and rush mode is something that keeps bringing me back. I'd be suprised if you had a wii u and didn't have this game. If you don't have it, get it, you won't be disappointed Expand
  12. Nov 18, 2012
    There is really nothing to say here. If you like 2-D Mario you are gonna like this. It looks great in HD even though some of the backgrounds are a tad boring, the control is fine but it in a 2-D Mario game. The multiplyer which I have only played with one other person is decent but not a big game changer. Actually it feels like a cheat when someone puts up a pad for you. I like the modeThere is really nothing to say here. If you like 2-D Mario you are gonna like this. It looks great in HD even though some of the backgrounds are a tad boring, the control is fine but it in a 2-D Mario game. The multiplyer which I have only played with one other person is decent but not a big game changer. Actually it feels like a cheat when someone puts up a pad for you. I like the mode where the screen goes faster to make the game harder although it picks up the pace after a few hours of play. The story sucks. The music is lame. It is just normal Mario. It feels like I have played this before and I have. On the DS and the Wii. It is a good game but I could live without it and since it is the only exclusive for the system I currently own that is a disappointment. It is a solid Mario game but it isn't as good as Donkey Kong Country Returns and is not even close to the brilliant and more beautiful Rayman Origins. But it is a 2-D Mario game and for most fans it will be enough. Good game. But nothing special or new. I really like the new blue cases. But I was told the Wii U would have a trophy system. Where is it? Expand
  13. Dec 10, 2012
    Side scrolling platform fun at its best, grab four of your friends and overcome challenges in multiple worlds each with their own special spin. The story line hasn't changed much from our childhood; Bowser has kidnapped the princess while Mario & Co. are out to save the day. Yoshi makes an appearance along with baby Yoshi
  14. Mar 20, 2013
    I love that Nintendo still releases side-scrolling Mario games. Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of my favorite games, and I still enjoy playing its style of gaming. New Super Mario Bros. U takes on the traditional formula with added HD graphics, a new power-up, challenge modes, and most importantly all-new levels.

Nintendo's focus was on gameplay and it hit the nail on the head. First and

Nintendo's focus was on gameplay and it hit the nail on the head. First and foremost it is important to note that NSMBU is an extremely fun game. The storyline is essentially non-existent, the graphics are improved but nothing to rave about, and the challenge modes are a nice addition, but this game prides itself on side-scrolling goodness and Nintendo does it best.

Simply, if you like side-scrolling platforming, you'll love NSMBU as it perfectly executes the genre.
  15. Nov 18, 2012
    My girlfriend, bro and myself had some fun times, some good laughs and beat a few levels, too. Being with Nintendo since the NES, I may be a little biased but we're definitely impressed!
  16. Nov 18, 2012
    more of the same but great family fun. the move to hd is something I really wanted to see when playing .wii on a big screen. the added gamepad block thing is such an insult.
  17. Nov 19, 2012
    This game does not just remake new super mario bros it revamps it. Sure it may not be perfect but no game is and this game truily feels like the perfect 2d mario game with good challange, gameplay, diffrent modes, wii u multiplayer/touch control, online, and the hd with a classic mario feel.
  18. Nov 19, 2012
    This game is the side scrolling Mario game we have wanted at long last. The game is a great single player game as well as an amazing co-op game which is hard to come across! I enjoy playing single player on the wiiu pad nearly as much as on the TV with 3 other players, the Wiiu pad being used for the boost mode is great fun! Weither you are helping or trolling with the wiiu pad it is allThis game is the side scrolling Mario game we have wanted at long last. The game is a great single player game as well as an amazing co-op game which is hard to come across! I enjoy playing single player on the wiiu pad nearly as much as on the TV with 3 other players, the Wiiu pad being used for the boost mode is great fun! Weither you are helping or trolling with the wiiu pad it is all fun and just as great as actually playing the game so I concider this game 5 player. The world map is fun and the addition of the baby yoshis is fantastic! The new squirle power-up is like 3D land's tanooki suit but even more suited for a side scrolling game! The art style and graphics are beautiful and it is a unique and fresh take on the side scrolling mario games, I'd say this is the first legit mario side scroller since super mario world! It isn't just about co-op and fun it is also just a welly done game in general! Expand
  19. Jan 17, 2013
    What can I say, it's Nintendo and it's Mario. New Super Mario Bros U is the first HD Mario ever and it looks amazing. The new controller works great, and you can play through the entire game without a TV, just use the display on the gamepad. The music is what you expect in a Mario game, and so are the levels. You can play up to five players. Four playing with Wiimotes and one playing withWhat can I say, it's Nintendo and it's Mario. New Super Mario Bros U is the first HD Mario ever and it looks amazing. The new controller works great, and you can play through the entire game without a TV, just use the display on the gamepad. The music is what you expect in a Mario game, and so are the levels. You can play up to five players. Four playing with Wiimotes and one playing with the gamepad in Boost Mode where you can help the other players by placing platforms. If love like Mario, you'll love this game. Expand
  20. Mar 3, 2013
    Nothing new here. The game just as good on dolphin emulator with some minor anti aliasing and 720p upscaling. I really dont see a need for this game. Seems like they just wanted something to release the console with a game of their own. The whole 2d sidescroller is becoming a bit tiering to be honest. There is no chance Id buy another for a few years. The Luigi DLC just feels like theirNothing new here. The game just as good on dolphin emulator with some minor anti aliasing and 720p upscaling. I really dont see a need for this game. Seems like they just wanted something to release the console with a game of their own. The whole 2d sidescroller is becoming a bit tiering to be honest. There is no chance Id buy another for a few years. The Luigi DLC just feels like their milking it. The only reason Id buy it is the lack of game coming up. If they release the DLC at 5dollars I might do it. Expand
  21. Jan 2, 2013
    Nintendo may be playing it fast and loose with the word 'New' as this is the 4th entry in the New Super Mario Bros. series and not much has changed. Looking at screenshots or listening to the music each version is virtually indistinguishable. However, this is the best version yet. Polished to perfection, great level design, tight controls, timeless game play, NSMB U has it all. And don'tNintendo may be playing it fast and loose with the word 'New' as this is the 4th entry in the New Super Mario Bros. series and not much has changed. Looking at screenshots or listening to the music each version is virtually indistinguishable. However, this is the best version yet. Polished to perfection, great level design, tight controls, timeless game play, NSMB U has it all. And don't be fooled by the cheerful and colourful visuals this game provides a decent challenge which unlike so many modern games requires a bit of genuine skill to master. Loads of extra challenge modes sweeten the deal further. Could Nintendo have pushed the boat out a bit further with the music and art design? Yes, but the game play will always be the most important thing. Expand
  22. Feb 18, 2013
    2D mario in its absolute basic, fantastic form. not alot added, not alot taken away, just straight foward, bang on, 2d platforming. And i woulndt have it any other way. It does bother me a bit that all of the new super mario bros. games are so damn similair, but i would definitely say this game is the best in the series. some new locations, some old revisted locations, new powerups, and2D mario in its absolute basic, fantastic form. not alot added, not alot taken away, just straight foward, bang on, 2d platforming. And i woulndt have it any other way. It does bother me a bit that all of the new super mario bros. games are so damn similair, but i would definitely say this game is the best in the series. some new locations, some old revisted locations, new powerups, and new multiplayer and challenge options. nintendo knew the simple phrase "if its not broken, dont fix it" and it applies so well to this game. It would have been nice to see somthing brand new with mario's launch on the wii u, but this game is just fine. I have alot of fond christmas day memories of playing this, and its by far one of my favorite Wii U games. This is 2d mario done best, good graphics, good music, memorable set pieces, lousy story (which doesnt really apply to this game, as mario isnt built around a story), but as the first and foremost, fun gameplay. and the gameplay is where it counts. i found the twist of being thrown away and needing to work your way back to the castle to be interesting. I would reccomend this to any mario fan, platforming fan, or wii u owner. A great representation of with whats to come with mario in the near future! Expand
  23. Mar 11, 2013
  24. Dec 4, 2012
    Solid 2D Mario game with a ton of new platforming ideas and conquests. Very nice throwback to Super Mario World and Super Mario 3. Use of Yoshi is done well and the overall content is worth way more than the entry fee. Like the Wii game before, its multi-player is insanely fun.
  25. Apr 11, 2013
    My past involving 2D Super Mario games hasn't been good. Playing them would always lead me to eventual frustration and abandonment of the game altogether. I liked the games, but I never loved them. I simply wasn't skilled enough, nor patient enough, to continue on and finish the game. That is, until I started playing New Super Mario Bros. U. This game is the most indulgent experience inMy past involving 2D Super Mario games hasn't been good. Playing them would always lead me to eventual frustration and abandonment of the game altogether. I liked the games, but I never loved them. I simply wasn't skilled enough, nor patient enough, to continue on and finish the game. That is, until I started playing New Super Mario Bros. U. This game is the most indulgent experience in the series to date. The content is enormous. The designs are flawless. And the quality...oh, bellissimo! I knew I would like this game, but I never suspected I would love it this much. I've also gotten 100% completion something I would never dream was possible for me in a 2D Mario adventure and I'm still wanting to play more. The New Super Luigi U content destined to come out later this year cannot arrive soon enough, and will effectively double the content of an already-mammoth game. If you're considering picking up a Wii U, and you can't decide which game to choose, pick New Super Mario Bros. U. Even if 2D Mario adventures aren't your cup of tea, you won't be disappointed with the content-cost ratio. Plus the multiplayer is absolutely hilarious. Expand
  26. Dec 12, 2012
    I think people are giving low scores to this game because they say it looks and feels like all the other games in the "New Super Mario Bros." series. But if you look at the game on its own and you don't compare it to the others in the series, you have a solid game that feels fresh and fun. And for God's sake, how can this game score lower than Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition?
  27. Dec 13, 2012
    If you've played any of the other New Super Bros games (or any other 2D Mario for that matter) then you know exactly what to expect. It's the same gameplay with a few nice little additions, which means it's still terrific (with a lot borrowed from Mario 3). Playing it with friends is by far the best way to play this game. Trust me, if you only play it by yourself you're not getting theIf you've played any of the other New Super Bros games (or any other 2D Mario for that matter) then you know exactly what to expect. It's the same gameplay with a few nice little additions, which means it's still terrific (with a lot borrowed from Mario 3). Playing it with friends is by far the best way to play this game. Trust me, if you only play it by yourself you're not getting the most out of the game. The time trials and extra challenges are a nice diversion from the single player mode, but playing the main game with others is the way to go Expand
  28. Dec 23, 2012
    Don't get fooled by low score reviews from some Nintendo haters.
    There is absolutely no way this game should get any bad review.
    In worst case, this game still should get positive review. It's Mario Bros at it's finest and it never looked this good. The game play is nothing new really, but we all love it, so why to change if this is not broken. Graphics look gorgeous, HD is mind
    Don't get fooled by low score reviews from some Nintendo haters.
    There is absolutely no way this game should get any bad review.
    In worst case, this game still should get positive review.
    It's Mario Bros at it's finest and it never looked this good. The game play is nothing new really, but we all love it, so why to change if this is not broken. Graphics look gorgeous, HD is mind blowing.
    The only things that keep me away from giving this game 10/10 are:

- it could be bit longer, I got through game reasonably quickly (thanks there are bonuses and hidden gems to keep you playing even if you beat it first time)
    - I think it's small bit easier than other Mario games (I mean difficulty level)

Now, I'll give you serious advice. Go and buy this game. This new Mario is a complete must have for any Mario fan, and for anyone else it's still one of the best 2D platformers available on any game system ever.
    I have played on consoles over 15 years now, so you could trust me on this :-)

Merry Xmas :)
  29. Feb 13, 2013
    It's super Mario in HD. The gameplay doesn't need any explaining, but the graphics are superb. No real great gameplay features, but Mario doesn't really need any. My only wish would be for some online play, if we had that it would be a 10.
  30. Mar 1, 2013
    Not at all a bad game, but the compared with the Wii version I dont see much new. Not very much more detail in the graphics, just looks upscaled. Not many new elements or characters/enemies. Not much harder (easier Id say). I like the new nostalgic elements from Yoshis island, but I just dont think they had enough content to make a new game. This feels like new super mario bros wii HD. INot at all a bad game, but the compared with the Wii version I dont see much new. Not very much more detail in the graphics, just looks upscaled. Not many new elements or characters/enemies. Not much harder (easier Id say). I like the new nostalgic elements from Yoshis island, but I just dont think they had enough content to make a new game. This feels like new super mario bros wii HD. I the genre of 2d sidescrollers will be hard to push forward. I think an updated version in five years will suffice. Maybe some DLC during those years for the hardcore fans, like the Luigi-version that is coming now. The 2d content is simple and genius, but its too simple to pump out new releases as often as the 3d platformers. See this video. If some minor graphic tweaks are made in dolphin (like anti aliasing), I doubt anyone would see a difference. To me, New super mario bros U is the same game as this, which was released in 2009.

To summarise great game in the genre, but I think the demand for 2d platformers for me and the most others is satisfied for a couple of years forward.

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Everyone gets a chance to play and interact and have fun. Really, that’s what Nintendo excels at, getting everyone involved and allowing childish enthusiasm to file down the sharp corners of the vexation of adulthood and life experience. New Super Mario Bros. U does that very thing.
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    Yes, the new 2D adventure is not a demonstration of Wii U's potential, but it's extremely competent as a plataformer, adding some elements that probably will accompany the series in the future and making, though perhaps unconsciously with its final boss, the eyes of players sparkle and give us a taste of what to expect of Mario in its next tridimensional adventure.
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    No matter how much content is recycled here, New Super Mario Bros. U is a gem in Wii U’s launch line-up. Problem is, there is nothing that sets it apart from a long line of its predecessors.