8.6

1. Aug 4, 2013
    Really good game. It is certainly the best game on the wii u since its release. This game should also increase the popularity of the wii u among consumers.
  2. Aug 4, 2013
    You can immediately tell from the get-go Nintendo had some passion making this game. The smooth game play is noticed right away. All of a sudden, you begin to notice all the layers to the game which provide an in-depth experience that is very unique and satisfying. One needs to experience Pikmin3 first hand to really understand. I've been unsatisfied with many new game purchases over the last 5 years, not with this one. Well worth the purchase! Oh, and it has great graphics. Thanks Nintendo. Expand
  3. Aug 6, 2013
    Ok so the controls in this game aren't a problem but it is starting to look like even Nintendo themselves are struggling to think of any fun or practical uses for the Wii U gamepad. With this being a RTS I opted for old Wii remote and nun-chuck controls as they basically act like a mouse. The gamepad sat in it's cradle being used only as a map (and not a very useful one). Nintendo have created a needlessly convoluted control scheme which turns your T.V. and gamepad into a giant DS. The problem with that is it's not compact like a handheld console and actually takes quite a bit of getting used to looking at one screen then another when your trying to get immersed in a game.

Like I say though the controls aren't really a problem, what is a problem is the mission structure and lack of depth to the campaign mode. Levels are small, Nintendo's solution is to impose short time limits by dividing your exploration up into days. Before you've had a chance to really do anything the day ends and your forced to watch the same cut scene and read the same dialogue at the end of every day. Very soon a feeling of repetition ensues. That feeling of repetition soon ended though with the game being just 11 hours long and having no real replay-ability.

That's just the story mode though. Thankfully Pikmin 3 also has a challenge mode that is much more engaging. Trying to beat your high score on a challenge or boss fight feels more rewarding and satisfying. Uploading your score also means you can see how well your doing compared to other players. Graphics, music and presentation are all excellent as you'd expect. Pikmin 3 is a good game, not great not essential. Even on a console with no games.
  4. Aug 4, 2013
    Excellent game. At first I was unsure about whether to buy this, I have never played Pikmin before and this game seemed to have no appeal for me. Due to the lack of Wii U games I decded to buy this. As it it turned out this was one of teh best gaming purchases I have made. The game is a decent size and also has amazing replayability. This is quite easily one of the best games I have every played.
    You control various Pikmin, all of whom have different powers. Some of the need to be used to cross water and fight water monsters, others are fireproof and others can channel electricity. Use your Pikmin to gather fruit so that you do not starve and so that you can save your homeworld. At the same time guide them through levels to try to find out how to get your space ship home after crash landing.
    Amazing game. I recommend this game for every Wii U owner, it is amazing.
  5. Aug 4, 2013
    Perfect game, that's how game developer should be. Thats why i will always love nintendo with their magical and innovative games. Please Nintendo, never give up, and forget the trolls
  6. Aug 4, 2013
    This game deserve sincerely a 10/10 because is a masterpiece a game unique on its own I agree with many other critics that says (there's no other games out there like Pikmin 3) even in 2013 it feels original and the graphics are amazing. The only main con that I found is that there's no online multiplayer or coop for the main story. But besides that is an awesome great and beautiful game for the people that are new to the Pikmin series and for the old fans of the series. Mr. Miyamoto thank you for such a wonderful masterpiece creation for us. Expand
  7. Aug 4, 2013
    Instant classic. It's a game that is fun, humorous, challenging, brilliant and full of charm. It's a crowning moment for Nintendo with a perfect release like this.
  8. Aug 5, 2013
    Ive had the game for about 24 hours, ive seen 3 worlds, and am close to finding the 3rd captain. So far, this game is magnificent, gameplay is smooth and solid, graphics are top notch. Just when i think ive seen the best the game has to offer, a new area raises the graphical bar. I love this game!
  9. Aug 5, 2013
    pikmin 3 is masterpiecee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    This game has the Nintendo charm that I wanted on a Nintendo game, especially considering it is the first MAJOR Nintendo software for the Wii U that really shows that every bit of charm Nintendo had in it's games 20 years ago still prevails in this wonderful game.

The environment is much, much better than what I expected (to those who say the ground textures look horrible, I would have
    agreed with you if I had never even seen the game in person). Beautiful creatures (some of the bosses are just booming with Wii U-power enhancements), cutesy pikmin (have you even seen how adorable those pink pikmin are??) and three awfully charming characters, Pikmin 3 retains the same wow-factor Pikmin 1 and 2 had back in the days.

The game controls very well, but only if you have a Wii Remote Nunchuck. Any other way to play this game is just drawing your experience away from some of the fast-paced levels in this game, which is disappointing, considering the fact Wii remotes aren't even included with the Wii U SKU's. The Wii U gamepad takes on the role of a map, displaying important information such as pikmin location, directions, etc. Though this isn't the revolutionary use of touchscreen Nintendo had promised, it does live up to being a welcomed addition to the game.

Overall I would rate this a 9.5 (rounding it up makes it 10
  11. Aug 5, 2013
    There's nothing quite like PIkmin. It's the perfect mix of strategy, puzzle, action, simplicity, style and substance. You gather and grow Pikmin to suit your needs to explore levels and recover items. The only thing I can think that might bother some people is the timer, but running out of time for a day only serves as a way to break up your gameplay experience and gives hardcore players bragging rights when they do things the fastest way possible. In no way does being speedy matter other than to give you something to shoot for when you decide to play through the story again. With new levels, new Pikmin types, better graphics and new modes, this game is a worthy addition to the series and seriously a reason to buy a Wii U. You absolutely can't find a game quite like Pikmin on any other platform. Expand
  12. Aug 4, 2013
    Don't believe IGNorant, this game is better then a 8.0, it's another one of myamoto's materpieces. Also, one of the best looking games ever made with it's incredible textures and unbelievably beautiful environments. If you have a Wii U then pick this up, if you don't have a Wii U think about picking one up in the very near future.
  13. Aug 7, 2013
    Pikmin 3 is a charming strategy game that focuses on time/resource management. Basically, you command a horde of tiny workers that will carry out any task that you impose on them. There are different types of Pikmin and each type has its own unique abilities that can be applied to puzzles throughout the world. Rock Pikmin can break through hard surfaces while pink Pikmin can fly to retrieve previously unreachable treasures and so on. During the campaign, you are constantly working towards the next plot point but you need to manage your food, Pikmin and time while you are doing this. The crew (and Pikmin) escapes to the stars every night and they share a bottle of juice after each day so you need to ensure that you are collecting fruit to generate more juice while you are working towards your other goals. The campaign itself is fairly easy but the mission and bingo modes offer more challenge if you are up for it.

As for the technical, the visuals are great (screenshots online don’t do the game justice easily better than any current gen console game) but the controls are only ok. Targeting is somewhat awkward with the control sticks and the wiimote is too finicky imo. Most people seem to prefer the wiimote but I find that I am more comfortable with the control sticks personally.

The only other complaint I have with the game is the lack of online multiplayer. Local multiplayer is fun and all but I am missing the competiveness of playing with strangers.
  14. Aug 5, 2013
    It's the best Wii U game I've ever played. And it's also one of the best games I've ever played on any consoles. It's a simplified RTS that has cute graphics and theme. "Simplified" means it's not as stressful as starcraft II. There's also no strict goal you should accomplish like in sc2. It's more open IMO. You can choose your own phase as long as you get enough food.
    The story mode is
    addictive and feels rewarding. The gameplay is also broken down into days. Some people complained about the restriction but I think it's good and more realistic. You have more control over how much time do you need to play the game until next stop. Quite good for people with tight schedule but still want to play a good game.

I used to play with only the gamepad, but found later that the wii remote is a much better choice. It's frustrating to use the gamepad to select pikmins to whistle at. However you still need the gamepad to see maps. And only on map can you set a goal so a player can "Go there" by his/her own. This way you can set 3 leaders to go to different places at the same time.
  15. Aug 6, 2013
    Se puede decir que Pikmin 3 es el mejor juego de Wii U hasta el momento. Una nueva historia, excelentes gráficas y multiples modos de juego, hacen de este, un excelente juego, obligatorio de tener si tienes Wii U.
  16. Aug 6, 2013
    By far the best game on the Wii U. The environments are breathtaking, the boss battles are great, Pikmin AI is greatly improved, and gameplay is as fun as ever. If you are a Pikmin veteran or have never played the series, I highly recommend picking this game up.
  17. Aug 5, 2013
    this game is absolutely stunningly beautiful. there is nothing like pikmin, its one of its kind and it sure is an amazing experience. pikmin 3 is so simple, yet so good.
    it just feels as if you are in your garden collecting fruit. such an amazing game!
  18. Aug 7, 2013
    If you're a Pikmin 2 fan, you'll be greatly disappointed. If you like the first game, it's still not as good. On its own its a pretty good game, but definitely not worth the 8 year wait.
  19. Aug 6, 2013
    Best game on the Wii U. Best game in the franchise. I've been playing gaming for almost 30 years and I could count on my hands how many games I've completed 100%. Pikmin is one of those games that you want to find and do everything in the game because it's so much fun! Pikmin 3 is no exception. If you own a Wii U, buy this game immediately. If you don't, buy a Wii U and get this game. This is a system seller. Expand
  20. Aug 8, 2013
    I was really on the fence about buying this game, because I wasn't the biggest fan of past Pikmin games. That being said, I decided to give Pikmin one more go. Am I glad I did! This game is amazing, and really showcases the Wii U's power, and Nintendo's ability to make amazing games that dazzle and charm. This game has so much character, depth, and personality that it's almost impossible to hate. The gamepad is used beautifully, helping me keep track of all my Pikmin, and acting as a little camera as well. This game is really tight and well thought out. The only thing I'm noticing is that it could've been a tad longer for single player mode, but the challenge modes and bingo battle add hours of replayability. I HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone, even if you weren't a fan of previous Pikmin games Expand
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    I came into pikmin 3 expecting something a little bit easier than the previous titles, and to not be quite as fun. I was wrong. Pikmin 3 is a game where you play as distant explorers on a journey to save their home planet by gathering the massive (To them) fruits that liter the distant planet, known to them as PNF-404
    (lol 404 error). The ship crashes and the explorers are stranded and
    separated.
    Once reunited, they must collect fruit and track down another explorer who has found and taken their missing hyperdrive key (Which they need to get home). Pikmin 3 looks beautiful; textures gleam and reflect the sunlight, Bulborb spots get slightly bigger and smaller as the bulborbs snooze in the open plains, and cave areas are dark and moist. Boss battles, though some are obvious (HEY LOOK YOU MIGHT WANT TO THROW ROCK PIKMIN AT THAT OKAY!!?!?!?!?) others will stump you (I'm looking at YOU, 3rd (Major) boss.) and others are just fun. Enemies can be attacked in certain areas for more damage (Eyes, etc.), and you can command captains to do things using a map. Everyone who plays games should at least try this game, and enjoy its super fun and adorable gameplay, characters, and strategic gameplay.
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    Well I'm going to say this game is in the middle in terms of which one is the best pikmin game two problem which is bit of a problem is that you have to use the game pad to look at a map and the maps are so detail that it's hard to see where your pikmin are if they are lost
  23. Aug 4, 2013
    This is the first review I write, it's more of an impression. I purchased the Wii U knowing that Nintendo has never let me down and though there is a game drought it wouldn't last long. I have known about the Pikmin franchise for a while but never actually played either 1 or 2, however I would not let the 3rd pass me by. The game is beautiful, by now the web is probably filled with imagines of in game photos of fellow gamers and their mini adventures, but you have to see it for yourself. The colors are vibrant, fun, and inviting, far from the doom-and-gloom of more "serious" titles, the character design very cute and unique. Visually the game is stunning but the sound is also superb.

As you begin to amass your army of pikmin the pitter-patter of moving beings can be heard along with distant sound of a flowing streams, the happy background music also helps to fill in mood. Gameplay, it's a mix of strategy and action. I really did not expect how involved I would be micromanaging the assorted colors of pikmin: Red which are good fighters and fire resistant, Rock which can break glass and crystal, Yellow which dig faster and are shock resistant, blue which are water resistant, and Pink which can fly. I felt like both sheperd and general, protecting my flock from harm but also leading them to victory when battles insued.

The gamepad is a great controller, but the guidance or ability to select where to send my pikmin feels a bit unrefined when compared to the polish of the whole game, don't get me wrong the touch screen is brilliant but the thumb sticks just don't work as well as I would like. The story seems like a subtle hint of conservationalism, the inhabitants of Koppai are runningout of resources and have looked to the stars to save themselves. They aren't looking to terraform, but to mine the planet of its resources by bringing back seeds and delicious fruit.

Like I stated earlier this isn't a total review but more of an impression (because I haven't finished the game yet), but I'm enjoying what I've played. I hope that this is the game that ushers in a wave of Nintendo gems, the one that at least briefly quiets the nay-sayers that seems so eager to dismiss Nintendo in favor of Sony and Microsoft. Only time will tell, but until then I'll happily be spending my time with Alph, Brittany, Charlie, and a whole lotta Pikmin!
  24. Aug 5, 2013
    This game feels absolutely perfect. The single-player story mode is fantastic. But, even more fun for me any my kids, the multiplayer options will last us for months. I can't recommend Pikmin 3 enough.

I had never played any of the other Pikmin games. The garden/alien thing never did anything for me. But, I have to admit, after playing the Nintendo Land minigames for Pikmin, I was
    hooked. Pikmin 3 does not disappoint! Expand
  25. Aug 10, 2013
    Read the full review at http://blog.kolma.info/2013/08/pikmin-3-review.html Pros: Amazing visuals, New control scheme is friendly to newcomers while allowing strategic plans for veterans, "Voice acting", Good sense of size (physical size), Lots of replay to improve time and efficiency, Losing yourself in this fantasy world Cons: Very short game (about 10-15 hours), Not many collectibles at all besides main fruits, Lack of co-op story mode, Losing track of time in this fantasy world

Closing Comments:
    Any Nintendo fan should absolutely pick up this game whether or not they have played the previous Pikmin games. The new cast of characters are unrelated to Olimar and Louie from the Gamecube classics however those that have played the originals will certainly appreciate the enhancements as well as the nods to the older titles. Pikmin 3 is by far the best Wii U game I have played this year and will be a tough game to beat for the next couple of months. Do not let the short time drive you away from this game as there will be may days that you will replay to perfect your strategies.
  26. Aug 19, 2013
    It's like playing Pikmin 2 again for the first time and now I can call Pikmin a game series. The game has great characters, a much more involved storyline then the other Pikmin games, great wii remote integration, 2 new and very useful types of Pikmin as well as all the originals, and many nods to the previous games.
  27. Aug 27, 2013
    I created a metacritic account purposefully to write a review of this game. As an avid Nintendo fan since the 1980's, I've been playing every single iteration of all of Nintendo's franchises for several console generations. Whereas the Zelda series has been and will always be my favorite game franchise of all time, Miyamoto is by far the most superb game designer we have ever known and my expectations of his games are always set to a point that should not be reached. However, my expectations are always exceeded and, thankfully, Pikmin 3 is not an exception to the rule--it is a phenomenal game that should be played and enjoyed by all. It encompasses that Nintendo magic that must be experienced in order to be understood. Everything just fits together perfectly from the characters, the level design, the tight controls, the music, the ambiance, and the graphics. Nothing is more saddening than seeing one of your Pikmin fall in battle; especially considering how cute they are!

It makes me sad that we are now part of the "Call of Duty generation" where many people don't give non-realistic games a shot. I can't recommend this game enough. Trust me, you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't give it a try! Support Nintendo. Support the Wii U. Buy this game as soon as you can!
  28. Oct 3, 2013
    I'll start out by saying Pikmin 1 and 2 were a fun, long winded, challenging romp at gaming that explored everything the gamecube and it's controller could do. It built upon a concept of deep, challenging gameplay that tested the player to their wits ends and built upon a concept of a massive amount of content and quality.

Pikmin 3 is a big, HD billboard that has essentially castrated
    the previous games difficulty level by removing key gameplay elements. The lack of marching makes the game feel shallow and unchallenging, it removes all sense if urgency when fighting a enemy as dodging is not only clumsy, but god like as it seems to save you from just about any problem.

Worst of all, the game is far too short, easily beat it at 100 percent in under 17 hours. Something you couldn't have done in pikmin 2 in under 25-30. Worst of all, though, is the fact that the levels are super linear and pretty much each trail leads you right to whatever you're looking for.

I feel like this is a watered down game, made easy to appeal to a crowd that didn't like the other games, and as far as I'm concerned, screw those people.

Worst of all is the fact that most of the time and money on this game went into making it pretty, not deep. That alone makes me want to flip a table.

Now before the butthurt superfans come in here and start telling me its art or you don't pay for content, see yourselves too the door and don't embarrass yourselves. Honestly, I've grown to expect a certain level of quality and quantity with this series and this game just DID not deliver. So I'm sorry if I have standards and you don't.

The fact that the game has not even half the amount of enemies or bosses as pikmin 2 is discouraging. The complete removal of the piklopedia and descriptions is discouraging. It's literally like they sacraficed massive content (the thing that turned everyone into a pikmin fan) just to make the game super pretty. It seriously kills me inside coming from a guy who believes Pikmin 2 is the greatest game ever made.
  29. Aug 8, 2013
    As a big Pikmin fan, this was a much anticipated release for me. And whether it was because of the long delay in release, my love of the series, or a combination of the both, expectations were high. I will say it is one of the best wii u titles out there. Stunning levels, fun characters, and slightly challenging puzzles, all added up to a good game. Good, not great. The controls were a bit clumsy, especially in targeting enemies, or targeting the throwing of the Pikmin, for a title delayed for 9 months, I expected better refinement. There was much talk about being able to map out your strategy with the gamepad, but until the final level, I barely used it for anything other than sending one of the characters back to the onion. The story was fun, but not even close to as engaging as the original Pikmin, maybe that was because it only took about 10 hours, even side tracking slightly to gather fruit. I am excited to play Bingo Battle mode, as it looks fun, but I don't have someone to come over and play it, and there's no multiplayer online. I won't say that Nintendo dropped the ball on this title, but I feel like they certainly bobbled it. Expand
  30. Aug 5, 2013
    A fantastic sequel to a great franchise. This is a must own for Wii U owners. It's a software title that really shows off how Nintendo can launch great games for their systems. Great graphics, atmosphere, and gameplay will push this game ahead. If you own a Wii U, you'd be silly not the pick this up. Buy it now.

1. Oct 7, 2013
    Pikmin 3 combines RTS elements, direct action and light puzzles. The result is a quite endearing scifi-adventure despite some control issues and bland splitscreen multiplayer. There's also no real need to develop special tactics for bosses. [Aug 2013]
    Pikmin 3 is a greatly balanced, challenging at the right moments, original, adorable, and above all continually entertaining real-time strategy game, making you smile instantly. It's suited for all the gamers of all ages, and for both genders. [Issue#232]
  3. Sep 16, 2013
    Pikmin 3 is a cute game with plenty of soul. It takes the concept from the two previous games one step further with the way it combines tactics with roleplaying. In terms of graphics this is probably the most beautiful game the world has ever seen on a Nintendo console.