7.5

1. Feb 18, 2014
    Rush is a very, very clever game, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good one. The general gameplay revolves around getting your cubes to the goal point using different types of pads that change the direction of the cubes. Puzzles get very difficult, very quickly and the solutions are always clever. The hint system is helpful, as if you get stuck on a puzzle for too long (and this will happen aRush is a very, very clever game, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good one. The general gameplay revolves around getting your cubes to the goal point using different types of pads that change the direction of the cubes. Puzzles get very difficult, very quickly and the solutions are always clever. The hint system is helpful, as if you get stuck on a puzzle for too long (and this will happen a lot), you can just see several hints for the puzzle to help you. As I mentioned, though the solutions are clever, that doesn’t mean they are fun to work out. Part of the reason is the awful camera. Not only is it a pain, but at times it’s almost impossible to see part of a level- take a level shaped like a crocodile. Inside its mouth, I worked out I needed to place a pad, but I couldn’t see into it properly to place it- even when zooming in.
    What’s more of a problem, though, is that Rush just isn’t fun to play. However genius the solutions got, I found myself admiring them but not actually enjoying the puzzle.
    The graphics of Rush aren’t too good either. It’s not that graphics are this important in this kind of game, but they look horribly garish. The soundtrack is awful, meaning you’ll turn the volume off unless you want to be driven crazy.
    These problems all make an interesting, experimental idea into a problematic game. It’s a good concept on paper, but in practice it’s just not fun. thankfully it is cheap, at under £2 when I bought it. That doesn't make it any more enjoyable, though.

1. Slick and well made, but a little too complex for its own good. [Feb 2014, p.83]
  2. Jan 14, 2014
    With an interesting concept, Rush presents a fantastic challenge. Despite being short, your brains will be satisfied for still being capable of solving some hard puzzles.
  3. Jan 12, 2014
    Simple, engaging and fun, RUSH delivers a great, long lasting puzzle experience.