6.2

1. Aug 24, 2014
    This game annoys me. It's a good game, I can assure you that, but it just doesn't feel right when it comes to Scribblenauts. The DC tie-in bothered me from the start; it feels kind of tacked on and out-of-place. The story doesn't do a good job of explaining it, either.

The thing that bothers me the most, though, is all of the characters that Unlimited introduced- they're completely
    absent in this game, unless you spawn them. This angers me. They gave Maxwell, Lily, and even Doppelganger extended personalities, but all of the potential to develop the numerous other characters is completely ignored. Of course, that does give me satisfaction in the fact that I can keep my headcanons for them, since they haven't been jossed, but it is kind of disappointing. They give us ALL these characters in one game, and do nothing with them.

Oh yeah, speaking of Doppelganger. Making him a full-fledged villain doesn't sit right with me. I always saw him as the mischevious, recurring Team Rocket-type villain who's not too hard to deal with. I expected more sassy dialogue from him, but he felt more like the typical generic evil guy. (The tie-in comic DOES remedy this by making him grumpy and snarky, but still-
    OH YEAH. Tie-in comic. As cool as it is to see Maxwell and company further developed, it doesn't sit right. With games like Sonic, it can work, because the characters and world are already established, while still leaving room for new ideas to be inserted. With games like Pocket God, it can work because the characters are blank slates, as is the world- leaving lots of room to insert new ideas and play with the concepts the game has already provided.
    With Scribblenauts? It doesn't work as well, because it ONLY explores the DC universe, without touching on Scribblenauts's own universe much at all. Huge case of missed potential there. If the tie-in comic had become a thing while Unlimited was still the latest game, it would've worked, because like Pocket God, at the time the characters and world were blank slates to develop and play with.
    (It also jossed a headcanon I had for Dopps, which annoyed me for personal reasons.)

Overall, the game is an enormous case of "this does not feel right". It's very good on its own, but it doesn't feel like a Scribblenauts game. It feels like a DC game with Scribblenauts hastily written in.

Just stay in your own universe, Scribblenauts. Define your own world before you tie in with another one.
  2. Dec 7, 2013
    Eh, it's Scribblenauts, that automatically makes it good! Unlimited it better, but this is also good! Enjoyable for DC lovers! Overall a good game, range of spawnable objects is amazing!
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    After enjoying Scribblenauts Unlimited, Unmasked was hugely disappointing. The game felt rushed, too short and not nearly as creative as Unlimited was.
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    it was ok i scribblenauts unlimited was better but still, this will probably will become a hit, that subject of super heroes is good but they should introduced marvel superheroes too.
  5. Sep 24, 2013

1. Jan 15, 2014
    It’s difficult to determine whether this game was made for superhero fans or to those who already enjoy the game series, but Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure finds a good balance that should appeal to both crowds.
    While the subject matter didn’t totally resonate with me there is no denying the strength of the DC Comics brand.
  3. Oct 30, 2013
    An idea that sounds better on paper, which isn't good for a comic book inspired game.