• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 29, 2013
  • Also On: 3DS
7.2

1. Oct 29, 2013
    Look, it's Mario Galaxy 3! No doubt the weakest installment in that series. It's nice idea to give more control to players and make world more interactive, but unfortunately final result is sort of letdown. Controls are sluggish, new parkour mechanics don't add much to game, and colour powers are thrown in for sake of having them. Complex gameplay is meant to keep Sonic speeding, but in the end they just slow things down.

And it's not that speed is problem; Sonic used to be about flow and momentum. Momentum seems to be too hard concept to handle, so Sonic Team finally killed in favor of run-button. Flow however is concept that one does not simply ignore, but this games lacks the rhythm of Sonic Sonic games. Speedrunning is still possible trough the power of returning spindash, which happens to be more of an gimmicky version of boost.

Speaking of gimmicks, level design varies between somewhat fun and incredibly frustrating and/or boring. There is no flow in some levels, and many design choices come of annoying. Game tries hard, but ultimately fails to understand what made any given platforming masterpiece, not to mention sonic's best games, fun in the first place. Same goes for boss fights, which are still one weak spot of franchise

To add insult to injury, visual design is not always easy to eyes; Sonic games are known to be colourful, but putting bright colours everywhere is never good. Fortunately, happy athmosphere and catchy music makes up for it, albeit not-so-funny and not-serious-enough storyline tries hard to ruin it. Worst thing is that story, just like game, tries to have depth, but in the end becomes less deep than most games that aren't trying.

Having lack of polish here, and trying too hard there, Lost World is mixed pack of some nice concepts and some lackluster results.Game isn't terrible, and shows that developer Sonic Team has learned something, but learning something today doesn't help much if you forget what you knew yesteryear. There was no need to break things that didn't need fixing, and there is no need for reinvention if you already have something that works. And there is no shame being different than all-around popular Nintendo.
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    What funny fanboys. As usual Sega releases another mediocre sonic game. This is no surprise. What IS a surprise is that fans actually expected this to be good! Now THAT'S funny!

Now this game was very short first off. It is not worth the $50 they ask for. I beat this game in about 7 hours. The level design is good at times but most of the time it's just horrendous! Also, where is Sonics
    speed? Sonic platformers suck when slow! Floaty jumping make this worse the double jump and the finicky targeting system are a pain. There is no fluidity to this game! Expand
  3. Nov 6, 2013
    I felt compelled to vent my frustration about this game.

Poor visuals, broken controls and the multi player mode is a joke.

There is a never a feeling of speed which I would have expected from a Sonic game.

Like most games nowadays I feel as the end user I am the expected to be the beta tester.

Paid £40 and lost £20 on the trade in as there is no comeback for shoddy games.
  4. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is not a Super Mario Galaxy Rip-Off, its Graphics are good, the music is good, and the gameplay has been shown to be fun... but the characters, voices, and terrible plot makes it too painful and unlike Sonic.

Amy sounds like a certain female Disney Mouse, and does not match her appearance, almost everything Sonic says involves "WOMP WOMP WOOOOOOMP" or is a "Zing' worthy of the Picard Facepalm. Tails sounds forced with everything he says, though I do not think he's voiced terribly.

Eggman's voice is great as always, and even the Deadly Six's voices seem fine, but the lip-movement with almost everyone seems off.

Having every single one of the Deadly Six being a stereotype of some sort be it
    ~Old people
    ~Insanity/High-on-candy-kiddy
    ~Emo/Goth
    ~Prissy-Girly-Girl
    ~... Fat

The only one who doesn't seem like a stereotype is Zavok, but that isn't saying much. He doesn't sound like a villain, and while they all look... odd, they look more like villains for Yo Gabba Gabba.

When I see Miss Green going "Call me" after Sonic beats her up, I just say "What?!"

Also, they try to put in some... tension? Character development? One of those, maybe both. Eggman warming up to Sonic, and Tails doubting Sonic and his friendship out of nowhere, is just dumb.

But then I remembered... this isn't the Sonic I'm used to. This isn't Ryan or Jason, this is Roger, while he's great at Ezio and Batman, Sonic he is not.

Everything involving moral... lessons(?) is something you'd see pop up in a kid's show, and I mean REALLY little kids, five years maybe. I cannot play this game thinking "Yeah I can relate to this, my intelligence didn't drop." and if someone sees me watching the cutscenes, or even playing to game's corny-kiddy-looking-levels, I'll be embarrassed.

The gameplay, again, is great from what I've heard, but the boss fights are terrible, synches with no challenge whatsoever.

The graphics, while I did praise them before, look the best on the characters, and only the characters. T he backgrounds in cutscenes look passable, but nothing special. That isn't to say they look grainy or pixelated, but simply extremely simple or plain.

I am a dedicated Sonic fan, and I will not abandon the franchise, nor do I think it's dead... but I have yet to enjoy a Sonic game to the fullest ever since the Comic Penders issues, and the game's... voice-changing. Honestly I think that had the voices stuck around it would not be so cringe-worthy as it is now.

I will not recommend it to anyone, but if you want to try it, I would suggest rental before purchase to see if you can handle the corny scenes.

I am extremely sorry for offending all fans of this game. If you enjoy it, that's a good thing, I'm jealous, because I keep noticing the terrible parts, and that makes it harder to notice the good.
  5. Jan 17, 2014
    A cobbled together confusing mess of ideas that are not properly explained nor executed. What seemed like interesting concepts are much more stripped down and streamlined than they first appeared and the world is left empty and easy to zip past without thinking; never before has Sonic "played itself" so much, which makes it all the more confounding when you are forced to use the game's failed "parkour" system. Expand
  6. Jan 26, 2014
    HOW can anyone give this game a 10 review? I mean were we playing the same game? The execution of the game design is HORRIBLE! I mean simple things are just over complicated. This Mario Galaxy clone has beautiful graphics but it doesn't matter if the game is so stupidly designed. It's not a hard game because it's challenging it's hard because of the poor game design. Another **** Sonic game.
  7. Nov 11, 2013
    This hardly deserves to be a Sonic game at all. In Sonic Lost World, Sonic Team discards many of the things that have made previous titles great, such as the smooth and fluid boost-based gameplay as well as the gorgeous visuals. Replacing these elements are things like slow, jittery controls, awful level design, a hideous art style, and practically nonexistent physics. In addition, the music, villain designs, and attempts at lighthearted "humor" in the cutscenes are downright cringe-worthy. Overall, the whole game seems broken and unfinished, as if it were developed on a very tight budget. I would not recommend this to anyone. Expand

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Sonic Lost World has its problems. The controls are imprecise and the difficulty somewhat uneven. But it is still one of the better Sonic games in later years with some great level design. It is not the best platform game out there but well worth a closer look.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    The best true Sonic in years. [Christmas 2013, p.83]
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    Sonic is no longer a good or even passable video game character.