• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 29, 2013
  • Also On: 3DS
7.2

1. Oct 30, 2013
    Sonic Lost World, in a way, is almost like having a bipolar disorder; at one moment, the game almost perfectly captures the essence of a good Sonic game, while at others, becomes an incredibly infuriating and frustrating platformer that tries to put Sonic in situations where he does not excel in. For what Sonic Lost World does right, it really hits home, reflecting on the multiple archetypes Sonic's initial outings in terms of its level structure. However, for its wrongdoings, one can only question why SEGA did not overlook these wrongdoings, as they become apparent so easily. Specifically, Sonic Lost World is a balance between levels whose philosophy in design reflects his initial outings, and levels whose philosophy in design is questionable at best.

In terms of this balance, the levels are associated with two different categories. One category places an emphasis on speed, and balances it out with plentiful of platforming and many alternate hidden paths and exits. This emergence of depth in level design was shown to an extent with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, but has not been shown with as much depth since Sonic's initial outings. Sonic Lost World rekindles this fire incredibly strong in these sorts of levels. Grinding Levels are also welcome to this edition, as their depth has risen drastically. Multiple routes to grind and tons of ingeniously tricky spots make these levels almost, if not as enjoyable, as the sorts of levels listed above. The second category, however, withdraws almost all of these aspects in place of gimmicky and linear level design that lacks the depth of the multi-route levels. Whether this may be rolling around in a snowball, having to remain hidden from an owl, scale up a linear set of platforms, etc., it withdraws from the essence of Sonic's initial outings in place of something mediocre at best.

To be even more precise, let me list every level that's fun, okay-ish, and not fun:

Fun:

Silent Forest: Act 2, 4
    Sky Road: Act 2, 3, 4
    Lava Mountain: Act 1, 3
    Hidden World: Act 1, 2, 3, 4

There are 32 zones in total (Not counting the Hidden Stages in each world, the Carnival Stages, or the Nights DLC), and 14 of them are fun, 6 of them are okay, and 12 of them are not fun. This means 44% of the stages are fun, 19% of the stages are okay, and 37% of the stages are not fun. Add either the fun stages and the okay stages, the okay stages and the not fun stages, or none as you will, but only 44% of the game is truly and undoubtedly fun. Luckily, that 44% of the game nails the gameplay down just fine. Also, if you think about it, 14 acts is roughly 7 zones in Sonic 2, and more acts than Sonic 3 (not & Knuckles) has to offer. Adding the okay acts with the fun acts, and you have almost as much acts as Sonic 3 & Knuckles (and that's not even counting the omission of Sandopolis and Lava Reef Zone -due to their mediocrity- from the list). If you think about it, that 44% isn't really that bad in retrospect.

Sonic Lost World fumbles a lot, which is definitely a huge disappointment to an otherwise fantastic game. However, the parts that Sonic Lost World doesn't fumble on are truly fantastic and unforgettable parts. Take Sonic Lost World how you will, but it's a game in which its good aspects are engaging and creative enough to become incredibly replayable. Sonic Lost World is a game that may stumble quite a lot, but it comes through in the end on its feet.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    Look, it's Mario Galaxy 3! No doubt the weakest installment in that series. It's nice idea to give more control to players and make world more interactive, but unfortunately final result is sort of letdown. Controls are sluggish, new parkour mechanics don't add much to game, and colour powers are thrown in for sake of having them. Complex gameplay is meant to keep Sonic speeding, but in the end they just slow things down.

And it's not that speed is problem; Sonic used to be about flow and momentum. Momentum seems to be too hard concept to handle, so Sonic Team finally killed in favor of run-button. Flow however is concept that one does not simply ignore, but this games lacks the rhythm of Sonic Sonic games. Speedrunning is still possible trough the power of returning spindash, which happens to be more of an gimmicky version of boost.

Speaking of gimmicks, level design varies between somewhat fun and incredibly frustrating and/or boring. There is no flow in some levels, and many design choices come of annoying. Game tries hard, but ultimately fails to understand what made any given platforming masterpiece, not to mention sonic's best games, fun in the first place. Same goes for boss fights, which are still one weak spot of franchise

To add insult to injury, visual design is not always easy to eyes; Sonic games are known to be colourful, but putting bright colours everywhere is never good. Fortunately, happy athmosphere and catchy music makes up for it, albeit not-so-funny and not-serious-enough storyline tries hard to ruin it. Worst thing is that story, just like game, tries to have depth, but in the end becomes less deep than most games that aren't trying.

Having lack of polish here, and trying too hard there, Lost World is mixed pack of some nice concepts and some lackluster results.Game isn't terrible, and shows that developer Sonic Team has learned something, but learning something today doesn't help much if you forget what you knew yesteryear. There was no need to break things that didn't need fixing, and there is no need for reinvention if you already have something that works. And there is no shame being different than all-around popular Nintendo.
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    Well i have made it to the 5th world... and i must say that i was both impressed and let down. At first, the levels were fun and exciting, but as the game progressed, the difficulty level increased so much and there were millions of death traps at every turn by the time i reached the frozen zone. At this point i became extremely frustrated and cut the game off. The first few worlds were amazing and fun for me. The game does a lot of things right, but it also does a lot of things wrong... i do see the resemblance between mario galaxy and this game, and i must say, im a 100% fan of the mario galaxy franchise, and this doesnt come close. but i am an extreme fan of sonic, having every sonic game from the genesis days, to the dreamcast day games, and the newer ones when sonic went to gamecube, xbox 360 and now wii u, and anything in between. I have every game... and this is ok to me. To me this game is like Sonic Colors, its ok. I have never been a fan of the color powers myself... im more into sonic generations gameplay style myself.... and evne sonic adventure 2 gamestyle. but its worth picking up at least. Expand
  4. Oct 31, 2013
    Para aqueles que tem dúvida se compram ou não, o jogo vale a pena. um hibrido entre mario galaxy e o sonic the hedahog. Existe a velocidade e os inimigos clássicos de sonic, com o lvl desing das fases do mario, e alguns colecionáveis para procurar.
    O jogo tem a dificuldade um pouco acima da média dos demais sonic, e os controles responde de forma satisfatória. Em alguns poucos momentos
    senti frustração em decorrência da resposta de meus comandos. Mas isso se deve mais ao fato de se acostumar com a nova mecânica que um defeito do jogo.
    Em termos de gráfico e som, o jogo esta excelente, cumprindo bem seu papel.
    Os chefes por sua vez, apresentam uma dificuldade baixa, mas ainda sim divertida.
    Em minha humilde opinião, este um jogo obrigatório para os fãs do ouriço azul, e para aqueles que não o conhecem. Enfim, obrigatório a todos os donos do wii u
  5. Oct 29, 2013
    This is a great game! I have been playing for a week now and it is amazing.Of course it's not perfect but besides the boss fights this is a game that is worth your time and money if you are a sonic or platformer fan
  6. Oct 29, 2013
    This game is proof that SEGA is trying new things to the Sonic formula.
    Some stage design flaws aside, this is one of the best Sonic games in recent years!
    A game with great production values, values that rival Nintendo's own games.
    I really cannot understand all the hate critics give to this game.
    Give this game a chance, especially if you like Sonic games in general!
  7. Oct 29, 2013
    Don't care about these reviews, this game is great. SEGA has changed that annoying "boost to win" gameplay to a new kind of gameplay that tries to bring Sonic for a more balanced platformer style, but it's still possible to make speed runs if you want to. The plot is simple and fun, and thanks God doesn't have nothing "ultra-realistic". The controls have some minor issues and most of people that complains about it, does it because the game doesn't have any tutorial and makes you learn in your own. But when you get used to it, you're gonna like it.
    The art and graphics are awesome and full of Sonic Style, reminding us the great times from the 90's.
    I recommend for everyone and hope that SEGA follow this path for the future Sonic games
  8. Oct 29, 2013
    A fantastic game and one I can recommend to anyone. The controls are tight, the level design is fantastic, varied visually and structurally, and often there are many paths through zones. Some stages have different play styles to others, such as grinding or floating, but all come together nicely. The Wisps take some getting used to with the controls being somewhat of a learning curve, but not one you will feel punished for avoiding as some Wisps use the buttons on the Gamepad too.

The soundtrack is top notch and is ever catchy to continue the series trend and the visuals run at a smooth 60FPS, which launch titles for the other two consoles wish they could manage let alone maintain.

Overall, buy this game, it's fantastic.
  9. Oct 29, 2013
    A fantastic game. For longtime sonic fans, they know how rough its been for the guy for quite some time and how he had his comeback with sonic colors (sonic 4 was very underwhelming). with the third game after the fact sonic team really turned sonic mechanic on its head and it shows some creative work here. the game plays very differently then the usual. They obviously drew some inspiration from sonic extreme so this comparison to the galaxy series is quite stupid with that logic, Mario galaxy stole from extream. In short great game! very unique and i highly appreciate that,this only goes for the wiiu version as i have yet to play the 3ds ver. Its a buy forget the critiques. Expand
  10. Oct 30, 2013
    Those who haven't played a Sonic game since the Genesis or Dreamcast might find this game a bit challenging at first. All Sonic games are supposed to be. It doesn't hold your hand like most modern platformers, but it makes it that much rewarding when you actually do figure it out. There is so much fun to be had in this game. It's the best platformer so far this year, even better than Rayman Legends (which I loved). Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    What funny fanboys. As usual Sega releases another mediocre sonic game. This is no surprise. What IS a surprise is that fans actually expected this to be good! Now THAT'S funny!

Now this game was very short first off. It is not worth the $50 they ask for. I beat this game in about 7 hours. The level design is good at times but most of the time it's just horrendous! Also, where is Sonics
    speed? Sonic platformers suck when slow! Floaty jumping make this worse the double jump and the finicky targeting system are a pain. There is no fluidity to this game! Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is probably good, I haven't played it but my mum said that I should give it a 10 because if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all
  13. Oct 29, 2013
    Great game with tight controls. When you die it feels like it's your fault and not the games. Great sonic title and greatly under-rated. The story goes back to its roots with a simple and cheesy story. Sonics voice actor is great and the villains are very cool. The over-all story is a bit childish but is not that bad. The game is very fast but you can slow down for better control. The wall running is a little weird but once you get used to it, its very cool and useful. The game does not hold your hand with tutorials and expects you to learn the game through gameplay, which I love. Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2013
    Don't believe the low critic score, it's a much better game than it's being given credit for. It's tough, challenging, a little different and definitely doesn't hold your hand after a couple hours of play. It's mostly because of this that the professionals give it low scores. This is simply a Sonic game that puts more effort into the platforming than the balls-out speed. Not perfect, but it's definitely at least an 8.

So definitely don't believe what you read, it's a (finally) great Sonic game. Music is fantastic, art is amazing, story is actually decent for a change, controls are very tight, and the game play is fun and challenging (also finally). I personally hope that it does well just to spite some of the reviewers that seem to be intentionally sucking at the game to make it look terrible (check out gamespots video "review". Ridiculous.).
  15. Oct 30, 2013
    I just don't understand the negative reviews this game has been receiving. I'm going to go ahead and say its the best Sonic game since Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast. The controls are spot on, and holding the Z button to instantly run is perfect. To me, this game more closely resembles the 16 Bit Sonic games than any of the other 3D attempts. People forget but Sonic games on the Genesis had plenty of sections where You had to slow down and be very precise to make it through the levels. Playing this game just makes me think Sonic games are going to get bashed no matter what. In the past reviewers complained that Sonic had too many scripted 'go fast' events, now they complain that its too slow and methodical. Personally I feel that this game has a refreshing mixture of both. Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this game to Sonic fans or anyone looking for a quality platformer. Expand
  16. Oct 31, 2013
    Never before in 15+ years I have been playing video games have I seen such a great game with such inaccurate reviews. Some professional reviews seem to have only played the first level. Other reviewers who posted videos I've seen clearly did not take the time to learn how to play the game (there is a learning curve), and have it a poor review simply because they found the first few hours to be harder than they anticipated. These reviews are what compelled me to write my first Metacritic review for any piece of entertainment. Before I begin, allow me to say I've played and completed a lot of both 2D and 3D Sonics (games include the original, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic CD, Sonic Advance, Sonic 4 ep. 1 and 2, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations).

Sonic: Lost World is a complete victory for the franchise and continues the upward swing in quality that has been happening since Sonic Colors. New gameplay elements like Sonic's new parkour abilities add a level of creativity to how you choose to progress though the well-designed, multi-path environments. If you love playing acrobatically, you may choose to wall run and jump through the same area that a speed runner would use Sonic's spin dash to get through. Other players may choose to destroy all Eggman mechs in an area using Sonic's homing, kick, and bounce attacks, and others still may use found power-ups (Wisps from Sonic Colors, for those who are familiar) to unlock all new paths altogether. I've personally played through some levels 6 to 7 times and have found that most levels have allowed me to play differently on each run through. To reiterate what I said earlier, there is a learning curve, but after about an hour I was playing with Lost World with fluidity.

Sonic's new abilities and the level design have offered a gameplay experience unlike any I've had before. You may be able to draw comparisons in visual design to Super Mario Galaxy, which also used the idea of planetoids in level design, but the similarities stop there. The gameplay is as fresh as it can be, both for the franchise and platformers in general. It's no secret that Sonic has had trouble finding his footing in the 3D era, with the Adventure games offering fun but flawed experiences and Sonic 2006 becoming the poster child for a AAA game disaster. Sonic Colors and Generations seemed to perfect the 3D gameplay that the Adventure games wish they had, but Sonic: Lost World is the first real successful innovation in Sonic 3D gameplay in over a decade.

The game has a beautiful visual style that pays homage to Sonic games of old while taking full advantage of what the Wii U can deliver. I'd recommend looking at a screenshot or two for a better understanding of what I mean. The framerate stays consistently high even with high amounts of enemies and projectiles onscreen. The game's sound and music are phenomenal, something that has been generally true over Sonic's lifespan. The characters, so far (keep in mind I've only beaten half of the game), are very cartoon-like and never dull, with their in-game dialogue and design making me laugh on more than one occasion. Given the light and humorous of the game, the tone fits well with what I believe the overall tone of the Sonic franchise should be (ahem, Shadow the Hedgehog).

Sonic: Lost World has made a case for best Sonic title in a decade as well as best Wii U title currently available. I fully recommend the game to anyone interested.
  17. Nov 6, 2013
    I felt compelled to vent my frustration about this game.

Poor visuals, broken controls and the multi player mode is a joke.

There is a never a feeling of speed which I would have expected from a Sonic game.

Like most games nowadays I feel as the end user I am the expected to be the beta tester.

Paid £40 and lost £20 on the trade in as there is no comeback for shoddy games.
  18. Oct 29, 2013
    Sonic Lost World is honestly a great game, not Sonic Generations great, but Sonic colors great. It defiantly has a lot of Mario Galaxy inspiration but it doesn't completely rip the idea off, it actually feels refreshing and unique. Gameplay is slower than most Sonic games but it isn't a problem since you need to pause and think everyone now and then on which path to take from the usual 3-5 given at times. Only real problem with the game has to be the fact that Sonics jumps seem extremely short and can cause plenty of deaths. Multiplayer is also a nice touch. Overall 8.5/10, extra .5 for the power up noises using various bits of Sonic themes from past games, very nostalgic. Expand
  19. Nov 4, 2013
    Sonic Lost World is the greatest Sonic game I have ever played. The Controls are really great, the graphics are really beautiful, and level design is good. The bosses may be a disappointment but its still the greatest Sonic I've ever played. If reviewers are hating this they just don't know how they play it cause they're ignorant. this the Best Sonic game I've ever played, and one of the best Wii U Games I've Played so far. 10/10 Expand
  20. Nov 8, 2013
    I think this is a game that shows that SEGA is always going forward with Sonic series, the new mechanics are very good and i really want to see the next step. Very fun and interesting. Graphics are great, sound is awesome as always in Sonic games and Super Sonic is a good reason to replay the game. Totally recommended!
  21. LBC
    Oct 31, 2013
    Lost World is exactly what the Sonic series needed! By slowing the pace down they've actually made Sonic more nimble and easy to control. It seems like the players like this game and the critics do not. I wanted to make sure I actually played a decent chunk of the game before commenting. Bottom line, if you're looking for a great Wii U game (and let's face it, there aren't many right now) or you're a long time Sonic fan, GET THIS GAME!! Expand
  22. Nov 3, 2013
    This is just hilarious. This is the best video game I have ever played. Than I see people who get paid to write reviews and don't know what they are talking about. Sonic Lost World to me is game of the year next to donkey kong tropical freeze.
  23. Oct 30, 2013
    Sonic Lost World is one of the best Wii U games you can pick up as of now. I purchased a Wii U solely for this game and it didn't disappoint.
    Sonic Lost World, essentially, is a classic Genesis game brought into the 3D realm. Just like other games in the series, Sonic's controls and his entire game play has been switched up. Gone is the boost to win formula of the previous games in favor
    of tighter control for more precise platforming. For the first time ever, Sonic now has a run button. Moving the control stick allows Sonic to walk around at a brisk pace, holding the right trigger (ZR) allows Sonic to go into a running sprint. For added speed, holding the left trigger (ZL) allows Sonic to roll into his signature ball and do the spin dash. With 3 different speed settings, Sonic is slower than previous "boost" games but is still fast non the less.
    The Mario Galaxy inspired levels of the Lost Hex are decently designed, allowing for branching paths and alternate routes that lead to secret areas or hidden Red Rings. That's not to say all the levels are fantastic. There's a difficulty spike during the end of the game that pulls no punches and some levels here and there are home to some painfully annoying gimmicks that can annoy even the most veteran of Sonic players.
    Back from Sonic Colors are the cute alien creatures Wisps. These aliens allow Sonic to use certain powers. New to the game are the Eagle Wisp, Rhythm Wisp and Asteroid Wisp. These powers, unfortunately are finicky in their use and are not as well implemented as they were in Sonic Colors. With an amazing soundtrack, gorgeous graphics and a goofy story, Sonic Lost World is a great game for anyone who owns a Wii U or is a fan of platformers. With a few flaws, it's still a decent entry in the Sonic Franchise and a must buy for anyone with a Wii U
  24. Nov 3, 2013
    Honestly, I don't see the hate. The controls are extremely tight and the game is just hard enough to be a good platformer, graphics are good, the music is downright amazing, only thing I really have to complain is the color power controls. Otherwise, it's a great game.
  25. Nov 3, 2013
    SCRUB YOU FANBOYS
    sonic lost world has speed
    it just you must find it
    the controls are awesome if you know how to play
    if you played generations or colors you will know what i mean
    its a good game. its not a mario galaxy!!!
    stop with the critics!!!!
  26. Oct 30, 2013
    While it's not the best sonic game, it's the best 3D sonic game out there, It's a must have for a Wii U owner.
    The controls are not bad, but they need some time to get used to.
  27. Oct 30, 2013
    Sonic Lost World hits some things home, and others not so much. Some of the things it does well include the graphics, music and some elements of the gameplay. If you're playing this for a deep story with a plot that will make you think, drop that notion entirely. The writing for this game is "meh" at best. Though it does have some really good moments in the cutscenes. The music is memorable for the most part. A few forgettable ones, but for the most part its what you'd expect from a Sonic game. The graphics are crisp and really good looking, despite the artstyle.

Now for the gameplay. I had a had a difficult time learning the controls, but this is only a learning curve which is natural with any game. Once I had the controls down, I still had a few issues though. Specifically in 2D, Sonic feels as if he has lead shoes on. He feels pretty heavy, even when holding down the run button. This makes it difficult to jump over bottomless pits simply because his jumping range is so limited. This can cause a lot of cheap deaths.

Wall running is tricky. Sonic will move down the wall as he runs on it, so you have to be pretty speedy about getting from one end to the other. Prepare for MANY cheap deaths in the ice levels. Simply because the ice physics sonic's speed bottomless pits trying to dodge obstacles are just going to cause you many problems.

Some parts can be very frustrating in the game. It just feels like (Especially in 2D) that Sonic really heavy, and it makes it difficult to platform with any sort of speed. So unless you want to risk spindashing to clear platforming sections, you gotta go slow.

The gameplay, once you get used to it, feels rewarding however. When you play an easy game that has no challenge, the game is a bore. Its nice to see difficulty in a game, but I think the difficulty is bred from lazy design in some aspects.

If you love Sonic, give it a buy. Hell, if you're just a platformer fan give it a buy. You'll surely love it if you loved Colors. Though wisps are a bit useless now if I do say so myself. The hateful reviews that Sonic Lost World has received are not justified, but I DEFINITELY see where they're coming from. But those reviewers only play straight through once and then drop it. They have other games to review. If you stick with it and persevere, you'll start enjoying the game. Its NOWHERE near as bad as Sonic 06. It is a great game, but not amazing.
  28. Dec 23, 2013
    This is how sonic is supposed to be, this game is great. Sonic is treated so unfairly I feel. You can't make him go super fast and be able to control him in 3D it just doesn't work. The logic of him going that fast doesn't work. So if the devs try to help us control him it isn't interactive enough. If they slow him down so he is able to be controlled he is too slow. I think this game is great and 9/10 easy. The story is cheesy and full of lame one liners but I find it charming. Is doesn't need to be some masterpiece of a story. That's not what sonic was supposed to be. This game is pick up and have a good time.

This game is in the colorful fun and imaginative world sonic belongs in. Instead of the modern day world.

He is fast, you can hold a button to run faster and even spin dash.

There is some small bits that are stupid yeah, but that doesn't make the game bad at all. Its just the difficulties of a fast paced 3D game.

This game likes to switch from 3D to 2D and it's a lot of fun. Honestly the tunnel like gameplay is pretty great and is exactly how the games should have turned 3D to begin with. They let you dodge run and go fast, but I especially like the 3D Sidescrolling sections those are a lot of fun.

Also this game is pretty challenging at times and I usually feel like it's MY fault not the games.

Sonic is a bit of a jerk though, I feel like Eggman was nicer in this game than Sonic was.
  29. Nov 5, 2013
    Hands down the best Sonic game there's ever been made. Everything, including graphics, music, bosses, controls and general gameplay are top notch. Also one of the best Wii U games there are out there.
  30. Nov 10, 2013
    Sonic Lost World's been criticized for being slow. Really guy? There's a run button you know. Granted this isn't entirely bad as SEGA wanted to try something different. The controls are super fluid as you'll get used to them in a matter of seconds like I did. The Music's great like all the other Sonic games, Visuals are outstanding for a Wii U title (There's a lot of exploration in levels by the way.) and the story is pretty funny. Just watch some YouTube videos of the cut-scenes and you'll get a good laugh. Sonic Lost World may not be as good as Colors, the Genesis games or Generations but it's still really solid and hell it's better than the 3DS version and Sonic 06 by a long one. Expand

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Sonic Lost World has its problems. The controls are imprecise and the difficulty somewhat uneven. But it is still one of the better Sonic games in later years with some great level design. It is not the best platform game out there but well worth a closer look.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    The best true Sonic in years. [Christmas 2013, p.83]
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    Sonic is no longer a good or even passable video game character.