9.0

1. Dec 25, 2013
    This game is outstanding! This is the Game Of 2013 for me, and it's been so much fun so far. Me and my sister love it! Graphics are amazing in this game. Possibly the best in the series. The gameplay is fun, and the level ideas are very creative. It's just a great game. If you don't have a Wii U, this would be a good reason to get one.

Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Music: 10
    Overall: 10
  2. Jan 26, 2014
    Best Mario game in years! Amazing Graphics on each stage and beautiful music for each stage as well! The only problem that I had playing this game was its camera. The Camera was a issue with the multiplayer mode and in the stages that allow you to have clones with you however its a fantastic game worth buying.
  3. Feb 24, 2014
    Nintendo have once again outdone themselves with this game. It's honestly unbelievable how many ways there are for a person to have fun just by jumping around in a game. Looking at the franchise's history, this probably is the most varied series ever but that has stayed true to the principles of its conception: Pure fun with family and friends.

In conclusion, one of the best Mario

In conclusion, one of the best Mario titles ever and proof that Nintendo can leave you speechless due to how original they are, even after 30+ years of creating a game with the same formula. Because of all that and the sheer quality of the game (from the colors, the shapes, the lighting, the gameplay etc.), for me, this is one of the greatest achievements in the field of game-designing ever.
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece and definitely deserving game of the year. The graphic are amazing and definitely the best the Wiiu has to offer. The soundtrack is best of the Mario franchise thus far from catchy tune to a jazzy tune. Controls amazing as hell and easy to learn in a moments notice. I recommend this game to anyone and this game is a reason to pick up a Wiiu today.
  5. Nov 26, 2013
    I bought the Wii-U at launch for Nintendo titles, and finally the game that made my purchase worthwhile is here! Super Mario 3d World is perfection. I love Mario games in general with my favorite being Mario 3, Mario 64, and Mario on the 3ds. This is among them. It is a complete blast to play with couch co-op and the addition of the cat suit is genius. There are things I wish theyI bought the Wii-U at launch for Nintendo titles, and finally the game that made my purchase worthwhile is here! Super Mario 3d World is perfection. I love Mario games in general with my favorite being Mario 3, Mario 64, and Mario on the 3ds. This is among them. It is a complete blast to play with couch co-op and the addition of the cat suit is genius. There are things I wish they could have added, like a few multiplayer mini-games that could be playable from the title screen, and that is a personal nitpick with someone that has young children. The game is accessible for young children, but there will be parts that they will have to "bubble up" and allow an adult to finish for them, so a few minigames based of a couple levels would have been a nice bonus.

Grahics- 10. the game looks stunning and everything about the worlds, maps, and characters are gorgeous
    Sound- 8. Mario titles always have the catchy mario tune in parts of the game, and the sound of jumping and running are basically the same. I didn't expect much more with sound and the game is so fun you hardly notice music and sound effects.
    Controls- 9.5 Snappy and great controls, which is needed for a plateformer. It may take a person to bit to get used to jumping since the game is '3d' which brings a bit of an extra challenge for plateformers.
    Fun Factor- 10. The game is fun and if you love Mario you will Love this title. Children will enjoy it and the only thing that would have been nice would have been more than 4 characters to choose from in couch coop. You choose toad, mario, luigi, and Princess Peach. A couple more would have been cool, Like Daisy, Rosalina, Toadette, wario, warluigi, etc. Just for the purpose of multiplayer.
  6. Nov 25, 2013
    Amazing game. Unbelievable fun co-op. This (and W101) is the proof that Wii U worth the purchase, even if third party keep ignoring it. A game can't consider himself/herself hardcore if it just ignores games like this.
  7. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is the reason why I love Nintendo so much. It incorporates old game play mechanics as well as newer ones into a game that feels like the whole platformer genre has been re-innovated. Every level is something new for you to explore and never gets old.

What makes this game a must have for Wii U owners is how simple it is for a friend to join in on the fun with multiplayer. The four player is not new to Mario games but it adds a re-playability to the game because you can have a friend over and have hours of fun trying to beat each other's score to win the coveted crown for yourself.

Weather you are playing alone or with a friend this game delivers an experience that no platformer game has done before it. It's a must buy if you own a Wii U.
  8. Nov 26, 2013
    the stupid game is freaking awesome and it is really stinking addicting and my brother likes it so much that he made out with and and had video game children!
  9. Nov 26, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World reinvents the Mario formula by fusing the 2D arcade system the 3D open world adventure Mario we know from previous 3D titles. Game of the year.
  10. Nov 27, 2013
    It is fun, very fun, only wish that it had some actual online multiplayer and the inclusion of a yoshi. The variety is spectacular and theres a unique thing with pretty much every single level you'll go through that makes sure things do not become boring for you, almost worth buying a wii u for.
  11. Dec 3, 2013
    Absolutely stunning game! Bright, lively, and vibrant environments, great level design, new, creative, and original worlds, and perhaps the single greatest power up in Mario history- The Super Bell, all add up to a great game. The four player mode is also a blast, and it is great to chose form the four different characters. I've been waiting for this since Super Mario Bros 2! All in all,Absolutely stunning game! Bright, lively, and vibrant environments, great level design, new, creative, and original worlds, and perhaps the single greatest power up in Mario history- The Super Bell, all add up to a great game. The four player mode is also a blast, and it is great to chose form the four different characters. I've been waiting for this since Super Mario Bros 2! All in all, great game! Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2013
    After playing Super Mario 3D World, I believe this game is the epitome of platforming fun. I can't imagine a Mario game being more slick, polished, refined, and most of all, any more fun, than this. This was a game made by Mario fans for Mario fans. The music is original, incredible, and almost fully orchestrated, which is something we need more of in Nintendo games. The graphics areAfter playing Super Mario 3D World, I believe this game is the epitome of platforming fun. I can't imagine a Mario game being more slick, polished, refined, and most of all, any more fun, than this. This was a game made by Mario fans for Mario fans. The music is original, incredible, and almost fully orchestrated, which is something we need more of in Nintendo games. The graphics are colorful, vibrant, and crisp. I honestly can't imagine a Mario game looking much better than this.

The game feels alive, whereas past Mario games felt stale, soulless, and rehashed. You can see, hear, and feel that the developers made a great effort in making this game as fun as possible, and to improve on the classic Mario formula. Here's to hoping these guys continue to make Mario games for many years to come! New enemies, new music, new ideas, and developers taking chances instead of relying on the exact same things over and over. As someone who was not impressed with the rehashing of the NSMB series and a lack of any solid 3D installment before Super Mario 3D Land (since Galaxy 2), this game is a breath of fresh air and a reinvigorating new evolution of the Super Mario formula.

Obviously, 3D World bears many similarities to Super Mario 3D Land, and it could be said that it is a nice extension of that game for the Wii U. That's not really a bad thing, as 3D Land was also an incredible installment. This game brings back the feeling of Super Mario 64 to me, but with less exploration and a higher focus on skilled platforming, clever level design, and some hidden secrets. If anything, there aren't enough secrets to explore, and the levels can be a bit too linear and straight-forward for some people who may have liked SM64's open levels. However, this more compact and linear level design hearkens back to classic games like SMB, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW.

The co-op is more fun and less frustrating than in the NSMB series; having that extra dimension to run around in is great and makes co-op with four people not only doable but a different experience than playing alone or with one other person. While working together, you are also competing for a high score at the end of every level, which leads to some fun and slightly competitive gameplay between friends where each person is trying to outdo the others and hold onto the crown. Honestly, I will never want to play a co-op platform game that doesn't function like this now.

The menus and titles are awesome, similar to those in 3D Land; crisp, clean design featuring classic SMW-styled cartoon art that is just amazing and fits so perfectly. The menus function really well, allowing players to not only jump in and out of gameplay whenever, but also to switch controllers between the Gamepad, Pro Controllers, Wii Remote, or Classic Controller. Just being able to switch in and out of gameplay, as well as the inclusion of various different controllers to use, is a welcome addition, as I personally love using the Pro Controller as opposed to a Wii Remote.

The game doesn't make amazing use of the Game Pad, but honestly, I don't care. I don't love the Game Pad. It's okay, but I don't think it's inclusion into the controls of the game would've helped the game much at all. It's a fantastic game without throwing in gimmicky Game Pad controls, which a few levels make use of by having to blow on the microphone, or raise platforms on the touch screen.

Overall, I can easily say that this is the best Mario game in ages, and may very well prove to be one of the best Mario games ever. Obviously, it's hard to beat the classics, but this game seems to pull from every classic Mario game and put it all together to create one of the most fun Mario experiences I've personally experienced. Perhaps all of those years of lackluster sequels has made me a bit too easy to impress, but this game has gone above and beyond what I was expecting. I highly recommend you play it yourself!
  13. Nov 23, 2013
    At first Super Mario 3D world looks like an HD version of Super Mario 3D land. But once you actually get into The game you notice that it is completely different and far more innovative. While its not as open as Mario 64 it is more open than the new super Mario bros series. It offers the classic Mario mechanics and power ups but adds new ones as well. The new Cat suit is far from aAt first Super Mario 3D world looks like an HD version of Super Mario 3D land. But once you actually get into The game you notice that it is completely different and far more innovative. While its not as open as Mario 64 it is more open than the new super Mario bros series. It offers the classic Mario mechanics and power ups but adds new ones as well. The new Cat suit is far from a gimmick. It allows you to speed run certain areas and compile a series of tricks that are impossible with other power ups but it still takes a little bit of thinking outside the box and skills to use it to your full advantage. The levels are great and original you would expect from a Mario title. Power ups great however Super Mario 3D world has the best multiplayer out of any official Mario game. Singleplayer is amazing but playing with skillful friends can truly bring out some Great times. This is the best Wii U game to date but Also the best next generation game to date out of all 3 consoles. Defiantly a good reason to pick up a Wii U Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super Mario 3D World is a very good game, there's no doubt about that. It's well made, is what you could say at the very least. People usually complain about the lack of imagination of the "New" Series of Mario games and seem to think that Nintendo doesn't know how to be creative anymore. Well, Super Mario 3D World proves them absolutely wrong. From dozens of new enemies, level ideas, and ways to traverse depending on your power-up and character abilities, Super Mario 3D World dishes out the imagination in spades, while having multiple nods to the classic Mario games you've played before.

As for post game content, there's still a few extra worlds after you've beaten the final boss, and an extra character to unlock. Playing this game start to end will most likely be one of the greatest experiences you have on the Wii U for years to come. The only real issues is the sometimes odd camera angles, and Multiplayer being a bit confusing. Other than a few minor annoyances with these things, you'll be fine for most of your play through the game.
  15. Nov 30, 2013
    It took exactly one year and four days after the console's launch, but the Wii U finally has a must-own, must-play title that will be remembered for years to come. Combining elements from virtually every Mario 2D and 3D platformer before it, Super Mario 3D World is both a celebration of the series' past and a refreshing new take on the tried-and-true formula. You will be tempted to playIt took exactly one year and four days after the console's launch, but the Wii U finally has a must-own, must-play title that will be remembered for years to come. Combining elements from virtually every Mario 2D and 3D platformer before it, Super Mario 3D World is both a celebration of the series' past and a refreshing new take on the tried-and-true formula. You will be tempted to play through the entire main game in just a few sittings, but there's plenty more to do after that especially for completionists and those who like a serious challenge. I never stop smiling while playing this game, and I don't think you will, either. Expand
  16. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is very Fantastic by far the best Mario game since galaxy. Awesome stage platforms, beautiful music and many other genre like shooter, racing and puzzle
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World is that type of game that succeeds in surprising you level after level with it's stellar level designs. The graphics are amazing by any standard.

Super Mario 3D World does what so few game succeed in doing: Surprising you constantly by keeping it's designs so fresh and unique. A game that every wiiU owner should pick up and also a game that is worth purchasing the system for those who haven't already.
  18. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is just amazing. Being able to play as the 4 players from super mario bros 2 is great, with all the old moves I rember, this game is great, and a must have for any wii u owner
  19. Nov 24, 2013
    This game remember me a lot to super mario bros 2
    i like that. compared with other "next generations" game like cod ghost,dead rising 3,ryse son of rome,killzone shadow fall....this game is fun,its solid,a good step to the next generations
    excelent gameplay,excelent graphics,a good soundtrack
    i loved it
  20. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is an absolute masterpiece. For the moment you start up the game, you're met with great music and many familiar faces. New characters and enemies are introduced, along with new suits such as the cat suit, the ice skate suit, the goomba mask, and many others. No level feels the same as the last, and the graphics are insanely good. Even a simplistic style can truly capture theThis game is an absolute masterpiece. For the moment you start up the game, you're met with great music and many familiar faces. New characters and enemies are introduced, along with new suits such as the cat suit, the ice skate suit, the goomba mask, and many others. No level feels the same as the last, and the graphics are insanely good. Even a simplistic style can truly capture the spirit of the game. If you're on the fence about buying a Wii U, this game should definitely convince you to buy one. Expand
  21. Nov 26, 2013
    El mejor Mario que he jugado, sencillamente es divertido para cualquier tipo de jugador y jugarlo con más personas es simplemente maravilloso, éste sí es el vandeconsolas que tanta falta le hacia al Wii U.
  22. Nov 28, 2013
    This is the Game of the Year for me. The artistic direction is beautiful, THE MUSIC is FANTASTIC, hell, you will never get bored of the music, and the most important thing: THE LEVEL DESIGN IS MAJESTIC. It pushes you to keep playing, as well as to find its most hideous secrets. It maks you feel astonished because of its perfection in level design. It keeps you entertained, and gets anThis is the Game of the Year for me. The artistic direction is beautiful, THE MUSIC is FANTASTIC, hell, you will never get bored of the music, and the most important thing: THE LEVEL DESIGN IS MAJESTIC. It pushes you to keep playing, as well as to find its most hideous secrets. It maks you feel astonished because of its perfection in level design. It keeps you entertained, and gets an "Ooh, awesome" out of yoour mouth every time you enter a new level. YOU MUST BUY IT!
  23. Nov 27, 2013
    There is a reason Mario sticks around, and that is for the innovation that takes place in all his games. Super Mario 3d World brought the most ideas to the table since 64. I enjoyed galaxy, but it felt a little repetitive with the space theme. However 3d World keeps you on your toes, not knowing if the next level will be spent racing against the clock while still looking collectableThere is a reason Mario sticks around, and that is for the innovation that takes place in all his games. Super Mario 3d World brought the most ideas to the table since 64. I enjoyed galaxy, but it felt a little repetitive with the space theme. However 3d World keeps you on your toes, not knowing if the next level will be spent racing against the clock while still looking collectable goodies or going retro in a Mario Kart- esque level. That coupled with great ideas that worked in the past (playing as Toad and Peach) makes this one of Mario's greatest adventures, (and beautiful too). I highly urge anyone to pick this game up, with the well designed levels and collectibles, it's sure to keep you busy for a while. This game is (literally and figuratively) the cat's pajamas. Expand
  24. Nov 28, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World is a very fun and addicting game. And also one of the best Mario games in a while. And also my top 5 Mario games this game is one of the hardest Mario game besides the Galaxy games. Keep it up Nintendo and I really look forward to the next Mario game. You are heading in the right direction.
  25. Nov 28, 2013
    Not to say that this game doesn't have some flaws, and it may not be the Mario 64 or Sunshine successor some fans were hoping for, but this game is absolutely INCREDIBLE in its own merit. Seriously everything a platformer should be, I urge anyone with a Wii U to buy it, and even people who don't own a Wii U to pick one up.
  26. Dec 9, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World is a fun game for family and gamers. The story is about bowser capturing 8 fairies instead of princess peach. so the 4 heroes must save them. I loved the cat powers that this game has. The only thing I did not like is the four player camera in this game. Still its a lovely game and it deserves a 9/10.
  27. Dec 12, 2013
    At first, i was a bit dissapointed that the next 3D Mario game wasn't Mario Galaxy 3 or something along those lines........But then i played it. ........and........it....was.........AWESOME! This game is filled with power-ups, unique mechanics, and much much more.
  28. Dec 18, 2013
    The 3D Mario games have been consistently brilliant and innovative, and this one is no different, but this time it does do while keeping the classic 2d feel of the stages. Absolutely amazing level design and stellar controls.

The stages are mapped out typically but you can freely move around the map which allows you to look for secrets, and there are secrets. There's tons of replay value trying to get all the stars and stamps, and there's quite a few stages to go through. Often times playing as different characters can give you access to items. There's a ton to do, if you choose to do so.

The graphics are simply amazing and the best on wii u. There's a lot of subtle play with light and texture that brings the whole world to life. The gameplay runs at a smooth 60 fps and 1080p. It's really quite breathtaking.

This is a perfect game and shows that Nintendo is still that master of platformers. If you own a wii u you need this game. If you don't own a wii u this might be the reason to get one.
  29. Jan 6, 2014
    this game is a perfect 10/10 nice graphics great gameplay the 3D elements add a nice touch the cat-mario and other new suits add some more fun to an already amazing franchise many consider it to be the best mario since mario 64 i totally agree definitely a must own for the wii u id recommend a wii u for this game alone
  30. Dec 23, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World described in one word is: Perfect. The only perfect game I have ever played. This game has no flaws that I can find. The graphics are stunning, the music is phenomenal,the camera is perfect, the frame rate is hard locked at 60fps and it never even flinches, the controls are spot on, the gameplay is great, the level design is inhuman levels of good, and over all thisSuper Mario 3D World described in one word is: Perfect. The only perfect game I have ever played. This game has no flaws that I can find. The graphics are stunning, the music is phenomenal,the camera is perfect, the frame rate is hard locked at 60fps and it never even flinches, the controls are spot on, the gameplay is great, the level design is inhuman levels of good, and over all this game is the very best game I have ever played,even better than the Wind Waker. If you don't own a Nintendo Wii U this game practically begs you too buy one. If this is how next generation Nintendo games are gonna be, I'm happy to once again be on the Nintendo bandwagon, a bandwagon I haven't been in since 2006. Expand
  31. Feb 10, 2014
    This game does co-op flawlessly.
    Level design is thrilling, inventive and fun.
    This game controls just about perfectly.
    The graphics are some of the best yet on Wii U.
    Loads and loads of content too.
    Works with old Wii mote +nunchuck too!
  32. Feb 22, 2014
    The only reason this got a nine instead of a ten is the gold tanooki suit. The suit appears after you fail a level 5 times and gives you invincibility. I do not take it, but i really wish it wasn't there. If you say it is ok for young kids (5 or 6) I still think they should problem solve and beat the level, and it will be more of an accomplishment. But overall a phenomenal game.
  33. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is an achievement by Nintendo, it's that good. It has the most enjoyable co-op gameplay I've personally come across. The game has a certain charm, it has heart to it, and that's what makes this game good. The visuals, music, power ups, enemies, all contribute to the experience of Super Mario 3D World, and this is an experience that you do not want to miss.
  34. Nov 23, 2013
    Me and my daughters absolute loved the game. It's so cool, awesome graphics, awesome playing experience. Control is accurate. The game is so fun to play. I highly recommend. Nintendo still make the best games today... I'm looking forward to play Mario Kart 8 and the new Zelda! Thanks!
  35. Nov 22, 2013
    Trully nice game!
    The game not only looks great but plays awesome! Every single level brings a surprise, it's easily one of the TOP 3 Mario games ever made!
  36. Nov 25, 2013
    all i need to say is this game is an absolute blast to play! the best co-op mario game to date, and just utterly fun to behold. Great graphics and art style make this the best looking WiiU game out there. extremely good level variety left me never bored with the mechanics all the way to the final boss, plus lots of hidden secrets for you completionists.
  37. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is pure fun when it comes to games. If you own a wii u or know a friend who does then you better give this one a buy/checkout. The Mario franchise is one that constantly brings fun to the table for everyone of all ages, and they continue to bring something new to the table to keep you on your feet unlike other franchises out there that are just rehashes of the game before itThis game is pure fun when it comes to games. If you own a wii u or know a friend who does then you better give this one a buy/checkout. The Mario franchise is one that constantly brings fun to the table for everyone of all ages, and they continue to bring something new to the table to keep you on your feet unlike other franchises out there that are just rehashes of the game before it with just a polish of hd/better graphics.... *cough cough* CALL OF DUTY!!!

Need I say more to you fellow metacritics and stumbleons of this site?
    Multiplayer on this has never been so fun. I haven't had this much fun playing with friends since horde mode on Gears of war 3. Also the multiplayer flows perfectly and is less chaotic than super mario bros U.

With all the new console releases Nintendo has been left in the dust because other consoles bragging about graphics, TV, internet, fantasy football and of course the arguing over who is the real system for gamers.

Xbox one upset many people with its policies that were similair to steam, but in result changed their minds to keep the hate off, but still has a high price to own one, while 4% of owners of this new console are having difficulties reading games on their drives even after the "day one" update.

Playstation 4 took the crowds by their honeyed words while talking bad about Xbox the whole time like a jealous friend who saw the chance to steal the thunder. "hey you know that one thing xbone does that you hate? well we do the opposite!!!, yeah don't forget that... i mean yeah they got cool looking games but we're truly for gamers". And right now ps4 is also have some HDMI display problems out of a small percentage of those who bought it. Not to mention I would say PS4 is being an "Indian giver" about its policies at the moment just check it out.....

Anyways, sorry to go on about that, I know we've seen too much of these guys go at it for a while.
    Nintendo right now is the underdog in these consoles that has more hate than praise and you know I don't know why.

PS4 and Xbone this generation truly aren't about the gamers they are about the Graphics.
    If you give wii u a chance and don't let the badgers get to you then you will see that this system was truly made for gamers.

On to Mario! Like I said this game is fun to play solo and co op with a less chaotic feature. The game looks beautiful and crisp in its Hd nature and textures are smooth. Powerups in this game will have you wanting more of the game. Nostalgia yes!! and for beginners who have never played mario will fall in love.

The game also features some beginner friendly options for those who need it, so this game is perfect for everyone!!!

The only thing this game needs is the ability to invite your online friends in an open world to play with.

If you want a new console and feel like $399 and $499 are way too much on top of games then I will say go for the wii u because the price dropped to $299, the graphics are great, the games are superior, not to mention 3rd party launches look great like AC4, ZombiU and many more....... JUST GET A WII U!!!

Play this game!!! you will not regret it!! I know for the hardcore fans this isn't Mario Galaxy but as far as a mario game goes it deserves a 10!! I'm positive they'll make a new mario galaxy game in the future because you know what Nintendo actually listens to their consumers.

If Nintendo was a meme it would be "good guy greg". Great games, free online and much much more!!!
    Give nintendo some support and ignore the haters. NINTENDO'S GETTIN BACK TO ITS ROOTS BABY!!!
  38. Nov 30, 2013
    A great platforming Mario game. Multiplayer is competitive yet cooperative and it's a blast with friends at or around your skill level. Great music and it's nice to see a quality HD Nintendo game.
  39. Dec 2, 2013
    Owners of the Wii U and prospective buyers, rejoice! Simply put, Super Mario 3D World is one of the best video games in YEARS, and easily takes the title of the best game for Nintendo's beleaguered Wii U. The level design is flawless and creative; each level tests your game playing abilities and reminds you of the magic of Nintendo. The addition of cooperative multiplayer is a muchOwners of the Wii U and prospective buyers, rejoice! Simply put, Super Mario 3D World is one of the best video games in YEARS, and easily takes the title of the best game for Nintendo's beleaguered Wii U. The level design is flawless and creative; each level tests your game playing abilities and reminds you of the magic of Nintendo. The addition of cooperative multiplayer is a much welcomed and long overdue feature of the 3D Mario games that allows for incredibly fun experiences with friends. The multiplayer is executed far better in SM3DW than it is in any of the "New" series of Mario games, with your friends actually helping you complete a level instead of hindering the playing process. The in game graphics are stunning and breathtaking, proving the Wii U as a next-gen console. In comparison with its predecessor, Super Mario 3D Land, SM3DW makes the former look like a prototype. The gameplay is addictive and always has you craving more with every completion of a level. At a time when no other AAA games are coming out for the rival consoles, SM3DW looks like a great choice for holiday shoppers and is a gateway game for the Wii U.

Positives Everything
    Negatives Not enough people will get to play it
  40. Dec 2, 2013
    This game is a must have for wii u owners. You can't beat 4 player mayhem which is what super Mario galaxy 1 and 2 were missing. children and adults alike can enjoy this game.
  41. Nov 23, 2013
    Is this the greatest 3D mario game ever?
    It may not be. But still it's a perfect game, you can always trust a mario game.
    The one game that makes the Wii U a must-have console, and it's the first of many to come.
  42. Nov 25, 2013
    HOLY This game is flat out fantastic. Even with all the praise it's been receiving, I did not expect it to be THIS good. Every moment with this game is nothing but pure joy. I constantly find my jaw dropping from the sheer inventiveness of the stages, the fluidity of the gameplay, and crisp colorful graphics. Multiplayer is a blast!! This is a game for gamers of all ages, and is so far myHOLY This game is flat out fantastic. Even with all the praise it's been receiving, I did not expect it to be THIS good. Every moment with this game is nothing but pure joy. I constantly find my jaw dropping from the sheer inventiveness of the stages, the fluidity of the gameplay, and crisp colorful graphics. Multiplayer is a blast!! This is a game for gamers of all ages, and is so far my GOTY and one of the best games I've played in 20 years of gaming. Truly sublime. Expand
  43. Nov 26, 2013
    Super Mario 3d World is a great game, especially when you have 4 players running around the boards. I have had nothing but a smile on my face while playing this great game. I couldn't say enough great things about this rendition of Mario, keeps it fresh and fun.
  44. Nov 23, 2013
    I bought this game on launch day it's the most fun I have had on any Mario game ever. Multiplayer is amazing, great level design and the visuals are fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone.
  45. Nov 25, 2013
    Not only does this game look great, but it also plays great. The controls are fantastic, though using a schematic that has a joystick is advised as the d-pad just doesn't feel as intuitive navigating the 3D space versus the 2D gameplay of the New Super Mario Bros Series. Despite the fact that you can reach credits in a short amount of time (roughly 45 minutes per world), there is a bountyNot only does this game look great, but it also plays great. The controls are fantastic, though using a schematic that has a joystick is advised as the d-pad just doesn't feel as intuitive navigating the 3D space versus the 2D gameplay of the New Super Mario Bros Series. Despite the fact that you can reach credits in a short amount of time (roughly 45 minutes per world), there is a bounty of collectibles you can go back and get, rediscovering the levels. Each level is unique from the one before, adding something that will incrementally increase the challenge of the game. Having multiple characters to play as with unique abilities was a nice refresher for the series, and it felt right going back to the roots. The bonus worlds will also provide a challenge after completing those required to reach the credits, and they are just as fruitful as the first 8. If it weren't for the mostly linear progression from level to level, this game would be a fantastic successor to Super Mario 64. If you own a Wii U and don't own this title, you are missing out. If you don't own a Wii U, this game makes the purchase worthwhile. Expand
  46. Nov 23, 2013
    A really good game on the WiiU if not the best yet. Super Mario 3D world is a very fun single as well as multiplayer game. One of the best Mario games for sure since Super Mario bros. Definitely in my top 3
  47. Nov 22, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World is one of the best platformers ever made. Though obviously not as revolutionary as say, Super Mario Galaxy, 3D World sets itself apart by offering a completely unique experience. I found that, after playing for five straight hours, it hardly felt like any time had passed at all. This game is truly remarkable and a definite must-have for both platforming veterans andSuper Mario 3D World is one of the best platformers ever made. Though obviously not as revolutionary as say, Super Mario Galaxy, 3D World sets itself apart by offering a completely unique experience. I found that, after playing for five straight hours, it hardly felt like any time had passed at all. This game is truly remarkable and a definite must-have for both platforming veterans and newcomers alike. Expand
  48. Nov 22, 2013
    The best game for Wii U so far since it's launch. Super Mario 3D World not only entertained me, but amazed me, with it's creativity of new levels, new power-ups, and even Miiverse functions. Although the first few worlds were a piece of cake, the last few and special worlds will be a challenge to Mario veterans out there. The new power-ups are addicting to use, The Cat Suit is veryThe best game for Wii U so far since it's launch. Super Mario 3D World not only entertained me, but amazed me, with it's creativity of new levels, new power-ups, and even Miiverse functions. Although the first few worlds were a piece of cake, the last few and special worlds will be a challenge to Mario veterans out there. The new power-ups are addicting to use, The Cat Suit is very entertaining and hilarious to use, and the Double Cherry is a very popular item in my opinion and I love it when the number of me adds up. Overall, this is one of the best Mario games I've played for a long time, with it's creativity, well done level design, tributes to other games (ex Super Mario Bros. 2), Peach is PLAYABLE, and more. This surely should help boost the Wii U sales, and definitely is the thing I will be playing all month instead of the Xbox One. Expand
  49. Nov 26, 2013
    Wow, where to begin? Super Mario 3D World is a staggering milestone for the Mario franchise. The game is top of the line and on par with the likes of Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine. 3D World brings back, for the first time since Paper Mario for the Wii, Peach as a playable character. She is not a clone like characters in the New Super Mario Bros series, however. Actually, ALL theWow, where to begin? Super Mario 3D World is a staggering milestone for the Mario franchise. The game is top of the line and on par with the likes of Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine. 3D World brings back, for the first time since Paper Mario for the Wii, Peach as a playable character. She is not a clone like characters in the New Super Mario Bros series, however. Actually, ALL the additional characters have their own unique skills and abilities. Mario is average in speed and jumping abilities, Luigi has his flutter jump to clear longer gaps, Peach is slower, but can float for a distance in the air, while Toad is the speediest character with the smallest jump. All 4 characters (and one unlockable) bring great fun to the game. I enjoyed playing as each and every one.
    Some characters were better for specific levels. Like in one where you are required to jump from block to block over lava gaps. In this level, Peach is the superior character to use due to her ease of control and her floating ability. On another level, the map is scrolling side to side and you have to make your way through a train as fast as you can. I found it best to use Toad as he was quick enough to get in and out of small places. He really came in handy in collecting every last Green Star (which by the way there are 3 Green Stars scattered throughout every main level.)
    Aside from the graphical improvement (which does wonders for Mario and friends) the best part of 3D World is it's level design. Each level is cleverly themed and stocked full of brand new power-ups. One level is stylized after a large pagoda in which you escalate the walls by turning into cute, adorable cat-versions of your character. Another level is a signature to the Mario universe and involved traversing a spooky mansion, but do not fret, because at some point before venturing deep within you can pick up a block to wear on your head that produces a beam of light, much like a flash light. Thank goodness for the flash light block, there are many ghosts waiting for you ahead!
    The game takes many hours to complete, and that is not even counting the time it takes to collect every Green Star and Stamp collectibles and the Bonus stages that come after the main story (another staple to the franchise as of late). Despite the lack of online multiplayer, the game is a fabulous masterpiece. It makes up for it with a local multiplayer, great level designs and brand new, clever power ups as well as a change to the typical story. It was refreshing to see Bowser kidnap a new victim (or should I say victims?) in this game as it allowed the player to take control of video games' most prized Princess, Peach.
    I would highly recommend this game to every and all ages no matter their experience in gaming. The controls are easy to pick up, the levels are a blast and you can get the whole family involved. Happy gaming and good luck stomping those Goombas!
  50. May 24, 2015
    This is probably my least favorite console 3D mario game, but I like it better than any 2D mario game. Between the excellently crafted gameplay, amazing music, and impressive visuals, this game takes the vanilla mario experience and makes it what Nintendo dreamed of in 1986.
  51. Dec 11, 2013
    My sister is not a gamer. She had been able to play New Super Mario Bros. U with the rest of us so I thought she might be able to easily transition into this. It took her about 10 minutes to really get into the swing of this game and it's controls but at that point she decided to switch to a nunchuck/wiimote control setup instead of the sideways wiimote. My brother, sister, niece and IMy sister is not a gamer. She had been able to play New Super Mario Bros. U with the rest of us so I thought she might be able to easily transition into this. It took her about 10 minutes to really get into the swing of this game and it's controls but at that point she decided to switch to a nunchuck/wiimote control setup instead of the sideways wiimote. My brother, sister, niece and I spent the next 3 hours laughing and having fun just running around enjoying the amazingness of this game. It's just incredibly fun. This is a system seller, and I am thinking of it right now actually, in about 5 minutes I am going to be switching my Wii U on and playing Super Mario 3D World. You have to play this game. And now, I must go. Expand
  52. Dec 12, 2013
    I'm a member of the original nintendo generation. Unfortunately as I got a bit older I strayed away from Nintendo and their franchises. I'm more of a pc gamer these days than anything. I never owned a gamecube, wii, 3ds, or any of the handhelds. In fact, my last nintendo system was a SNES! I decided to break that chain and purchase a Wii U. There is something very nostalgic,I'm a member of the original nintendo generation. Unfortunately as I got a bit older I strayed away from Nintendo and their franchises. I'm more of a pc gamer these days than anything. I never owned a gamecube, wii, 3ds, or any of the handhelds. In fact, my last nintendo system was a SNES! I decided to break that chain and purchase a Wii U. There is something very nostalgic, whimsical, and exciting about this game and the Mario Bros. franchise. I was blown away from the minute I got to the in game menu. The colors were vibrant, the music was catchy, and the gameplay was simply fun. As I progressed through the first few levels it was clear that they were starting to increase in difficulty. In fact, as one level caused me to almost "rage quit" I thought to myself, what else have I been missing?!?! Simply put this game is phenominal and is everything a 3d platformer should be. Expand
  53. Nov 23, 2013
    Nintendo ace Super Mario 3D World is the best AAA title would never quit playing this. a complete family entertainment that just brings more joy Nintendo is the king of gaming indeed. i'm a ps3 owner the reason for wii u is this particular game. bring on more super Mario :D would had given more than 10 if possible
  54. Nov 23, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World. A game that originally started out as looking bland and boring, is now a game being considered better then Galaxy. With immersive orchestrated music, rich level design and now in HD, the game not only looks amazing, but sounds and feels amazing as well. Now with 4 player co-op, you can also enjoy it with your friends. Despite this game being a some what sequel to 3DSuper Mario 3D World. A game that originally started out as looking bland and boring, is now a game being considered better then Galaxy. With immersive orchestrated music, rich level design and now in HD, the game not only looks amazing, but sounds and feels amazing as well. Now with 4 player co-op, you can also enjoy it with your friends. Despite this game being a some what sequel to 3D Land, the game feels almost fresh and new. It basically is! 10/10. Expand
  55. Nov 26, 2013
    when it comes up to mario, nintendo dont make mistakes, this is a masterpiece, from the beggining til the end is brilliant, the reason for anyone to get a wiiU.
  56. Dec 6, 2013
    If you want HD graphics, tight play control (Game Pad, Pro Controller, Wii controller with and without nunchuks), epic orchestrated music, and overall FUN, do yourself a favor and purchase the Wii U and buy Super Mario 3D World! And for the Wii U owners, buy the game whether you go to your nearest store or purchase the digital download directly at the eShop.
  57. Dec 12, 2013
    This is the best game I have played in a long time. My 4 year old and 3 year old love it. I highly recommend this game to people of all ages! 10/10 perfection!
  58. Dec 10, 2013
    I would to Start off by saying if you don't find a way to play this game you are a Fool. Now let me tell you why I said that. 1st off this is the best game available, and my game of Generation Pick so far. 2nd This has Some of the best content Imaginable. 2nd The Soundtrack to this Game is Epic! Now lets talk about the graphics Which in my honest opinion the best I've seen. Hear me Out.I would to Start off by saying if you don't find a way to play this game you are a Fool. Now let me tell you why I said that. 1st off this is the best game available, and my game of Generation Pick so far. 2nd This has Some of the best content Imaginable. 2nd The Soundtrack to this Game is Epic! Now lets talk about the graphics Which in my honest opinion the best I've seen. Hear me Out. the Art Style is So beautiful. The Levels are so Varied. And With out a Doubt The Water effects and Rain is the Best in gaming. This is also one of the most challenging games i have ever played, the Bonus Content Will test you to know end, But When you Finish a level the Since of Pride you feel is Great. The multiplayer makes this a totally different beast all together. The Replay Value is immense. I'm sure you seen the reviews, both written and Videos. trust me when i say this is A must Play! Thanks for reading this C4platinum Expand
  59. Nov 23, 2013
    The best Mario game so far. Why? Because it has more content than ALL the Mario games combined to this date, and it has a lot of replay value. Graphics: 7/10 Music: 9/10 Gameplay: 10/10 Story: 10/10 Replay Value: 9/10 Length of the game: 8/10 Controllers: 9/10 OVERALL: 8.85 (rounded to 9) BONUS FOR BEING THE BEST MARIO GAME UP TO DATE (+1) 10/10
  60. Nov 25, 2013
    This is a very good mario game (though the lack of playable yoshi as a main character is disappointing.) It is not revolanty like mario galaxy or super mario 64 though it don't have to be, it is one of the first 4 player mario games
    Problems come up with 4 players though action is too heavy and I would often pick up other players i did not want to pick up who are running near me because pick up is the same buttons as other actions. The throwback to super mario 2 on the NES is great though all the characters have the same skills so this is very much like a 4 player 3d version of that game.
  61. Jan 17, 2014
    Do you want to have fun? This is the game for you! Lighthearted, colorful, shiny game with perfect mechanics, fantastic music and flawless gameplay. As usual, the puzzles will give the players that challenge to keep them hooked.
  62. Nov 28, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful and exciting game. Hands down one of the best games in the Mario series.. A lot of fun to play solo and even more fun to play with one or more friends. Creative level design and gorgeous scenery. A must buy for any Wii U owner.
  63. Dec 5, 2013
    Watch any trailer for this game and if you like what you see, know that it is every bit as fantastic as it looks. Excellently designed levels, tightly polished controls, colorful and delightful graphics. Any fan of platformers is sure to enjoy this game.
  64. Dec 14, 2013
    As of writing, the WiiU is a console that continues to struggle. It's facing stiff competition from both Sony and Microsoft. On the other hand, Nintendo seems to be confident that SM3DWorld would turn the WiiU around. For those who had a WiiU, you're in for a treat. Multiplayer Mario done right? You got it. Incredible level designs? You got it. One of the best Mario since Galaxy and aAs of writing, the WiiU is a console that continues to struggle. It's facing stiff competition from both Sony and Microsoft. On the other hand, Nintendo seems to be confident that SM3DWorld would turn the WiiU around. For those who had a WiiU, you're in for a treat. Multiplayer Mario done right? You got it. Incredible level designs? You got it. One of the best Mario since Galaxy and a true system seller for the fledging console. If only more people were aware of this game, and stop arguing about graphics....and console power. Expand
  65. Dec 14, 2013
    This game is pure fun and I keep wanting to play it. Although fairly short to see the end, but you will want to get all the stars and stamps. It's brilliant! Worth buying a Wii U for.
  66. Nov 23, 2013
    I purchased a Wii U at launch last November and it sat and collected dust since I finished New Super Mario Bros. U and Zombi U (Other than my four year old running around in Lego city). So this game comes out on Friday November 22. I picked this up and then got in line to get my Xbox One. Since I brought home the X-1 and this Mario game and I've spent much more time these last couple ofI purchased a Wii U at launch last November and it sat and collected dust since I finished New Super Mario Bros. U and Zombi U (Other than my four year old running around in Lego city). So this game comes out on Friday November 22. I picked this up and then got in line to get my Xbox One. Since I brought home the X-1 and this Mario game and I've spent much more time these last couple of days playing this instead of my X1 (dont get me wrong the x1 is awesome)Thank you Nintendo for finally giving me a reason to turn on my wii u! Anyways, this Mario is awesome. Tons to do, some old school difficulty in later levels, fun for my son and my wife. This game restores my hope that the wii u was the right choice for my family and that we're finally getting some worthwhile titles. Mario is back! More importantly, Nintendo is back! Expand
  67. Nov 23, 2013
    Got this game yesterday, LOVE IT!!! The last time I bought a mario game was super mario galaxy,and this game just brought me back to the series. The graphics and visuals in this is absolutely gorgeous, everything looks great in HD!! The gameplay, if you love super mario for the 3ds and new super mario wii u then you will love this game!! Almost identical gameplay but with a few niceGot this game yesterday, LOVE IT!!! The last time I bought a mario game was super mario galaxy,and this game just brought me back to the series. The graphics and visuals in this is absolutely gorgeous, everything looks great in HD!! The gameplay, if you love super mario for the 3ds and new super mario wii u then you will love this game!! Almost identical gameplay but with a few nice touches that makes this game wonderful. Can't wait to invite my friends over to play this game tomorrow, if your a mario fan, GET THIS GAME!!! Expand
  68. Nov 25, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World, to me, can be be summed up in one word: Fun! As a Mario game, what more could I expect. When I first became a gamer back in the day, the most important thing to me was just getting to that flag pole. 3DW has returned to that simplistic gameplay in which the only thing I care about is getting to that flagpole again. Sometimes I just don't feel like sitting down andSuper Mario 3D World, to me, can be be summed up in one word: Fun! As a Mario game, what more could I expect. When I first became a gamer back in the day, the most important thing to me was just getting to that flag pole. 3DW has returned to that simplistic gameplay in which the only thing I care about is getting to that flagpole again. Sometimes I just don't feel like sitting down and watching hours of cinematics, sometimes I just want to throw a game in and complete the objective. Mario 3D World is just that!!! While the Mario Galaxy's, in my opinion, are the future of where Mario needs to go, 3DW is a throw back to what Mario use to be...and that's okay to me! Again, if your looking for a game you can throw in, have great fun, and not worry about committing to hours of gamplay at a time, then you can do no wrong with this game! Expand
  69. Dec 4, 2013
    The creativity in this game is amazing, no two levels are the same, and some introduce new gameplay mechanics. The multiplayer is a blast, and on single player it's challenging especially if you want to get all three green stars, the stamp, and to land on top of the flag pole. I also love the cat suit and double cherries. In my opinion this game is not better then Galaxy but it's close, itThe creativity in this game is amazing, no two levels are the same, and some introduce new gameplay mechanics. The multiplayer is a blast, and on single player it's challenging especially if you want to get all three green stars, the stamp, and to land on top of the flag pole. I also love the cat suit and double cherries. In my opinion this game is not better then Galaxy but it's close, it has great graphics, music, gameplay, and tons of replayability. So far this is my favorite Wii U game, beating Lego City Undercover's eight month reign, and anyone with a Wii U should buy it. Expand
  70. Dec 3, 2013
    The Wii should have never existed and the Wii U should have came out first. This game was long over due. I haven't played a Mario game that I have enjoyed since Mario Sunshine. This game is a brand new way to play Mario. All the New Super Mario games are all old school played. Each level on SM3DW brings new and innovating experiences. I enjoyed each an every stage. There are peopleThe Wii should have never existed and the Wii U should have came out first. This game was long over due. I haven't played a Mario game that I have enjoyed since Mario Sunshine. This game is a brand new way to play Mario. All the New Super Mario games are all old school played. Each level on SM3DW brings new and innovating experiences. I enjoyed each an every stage. There are people out there doesn't like the small things that a Mario game brings, but it's not enough to throw this game out your holiday list. if you have a Wii U, this is a must have game!

Instagram: Game_Row
  71. Dec 5, 2013
    Just a truly fun and amazing game. Level design and fun factor are off the chart. It may not look like a movie, or create an open world to beat prostitutes, but it is a truly fun experience.
  72. Nov 29, 2013
    Great game 10.........................................................................................................................................
  73. Feb 7, 2015
    My daughter and I played every level together and LOVED IT. This has some of the best designed 3D stages ever made for a platformer. It is just so much fun to play, which is the whole point of video games.
  74. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can I say about the Wii U’s brand new title: Super Mario 3D World? Well that’s easy. In short: Super Mario 3D World is amazing! And definitely the best Mario title we’ve seen since “Super Mario Galaxy 2”!

The new Mario title looks great on the Wii U and is the best looking Mario titles to date, especially in HD! The graphics have also slightly veered from the usual plastic look we always see. In some levels, the visuals were amazing to look at; one of my favorites was the ruins with the moss and patchy grass, which seemed to give it a more earthy organic feel on that level specifically. There are also others that present creativity and eye candy! There is such a massive variety in the levels that keep it interesting and creative without getting bored.

The music in Super Mario 3D World brings back that sort of depth that it did in the Super Mario Galaxy games, but with more diversity. In the Mario Galaxy series the music made you feel like you were watching a space odyssey, but with Super Mario 3D World having multiple level themes; the music has more variety. I’m not saying the Super Mario 3D World has better music, but it definitely has its own flavor… which is a good thing. There are also a few retro tunes that you old school nostalgia lovers will catch as well.

Super Mario 3D World runs at 720p and at 60 fps, but looks and feels great doing so. The gameplay is smooth and it makes it easy to pick up and play; I also didn’t find the 8 directional stick movement so much of a problem like the other reviewers have, nor did I have trouble with the little speed boosts that you get for running after short while. The speed boost actually adds interesting touch to the core Mario 3D game mechanics as well; some reviewers found this to throw off their jumps, but it never made anything difficult for me, it has instead helped me to get that good jump in for obtaining perfect flagpole jumps and overcoming other obstacles. Now how differently do the characters feel from each other? Well…

Coming back as the main protagonist, Mario doesn’t really have pros or cons, but mostly is just balanced, and feels very similar to how he has in previous titles. Like the rest of the characters he can wall jump, backflip, and even roll (which doesn’t do much other than break through bricks). But he is a great choice for those who want just a more straightforward basic character.

The much underrated Luigi has the highest jump, but is the 2nd slowest runner out of the main four, and has the lowest traction, but it’s not near as noticeable as in previous Mario titles. Luigi is great if you find yourself wanting to jump to greater heights.

Peach is possibly the most fun out of the main four, she retains her floating ability like in the classic “Super Mario Bros. 2”, but suffers by being the slowest character of the bunch. Her abilities are great for beginners since her floating ability is great for honing in on perfect jumps and obtaining green stars through very tricky obstacles, mainly the timed ones. Peach is a most-welcomed addition to the group of heroes.

Toad is back with his retro blue throwback to the classic “Super Mario Bros. 2”, he also retains his abilities which include being the fastest character, but has the lowest jump. Toad is a blast to play for expert Mario gamers, and is the most ideal for speed runs.

Rosalina is a great addition to Super Mario 3D world adding a level of flexibility with her default spin attack and being able to use it for a double jump. When using power-up other than the mushroom, her spin attack is replaced with that power-up’s capabilities. It’s especially interesting when you use Rosalina, because you find yourself NOT wanting to obtain a power-up, because of how awesome her spin-attack is! Rosalina’s running speed might even be slower than Peach’s, but has the second highest jump out of the whole crew.

The power-ups are a blast! You have several new power-ups with the return of some old favorites. The cat suit makes it fun to scale up the side of ledges and is great for discovering secrets. The double cherry makes the experience fun and interesting by multiplying your character the more cherries you collect, the more doppelgangers you control! I’m personally still a fan of the Tanooki suit which also makes a return, in addition to the Boomerang Flower and Fire Flower. There are also many fun items that aren’t power-ups that’ll help you out with secrets and getting through the level.

Super Mario 3D World has a lot for you to do; you can collect 3 stars in almost every level, and collect stamps as well. Super Mario 3D World is the beginning of why it's good to have a Wii U.
  75. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game for the Wii U! The best thing about it is that Rosalina is a playable character! It also easy to unlock her! The game is a great 3D platforming game, and it also mixes in some 2D parts. Great game. Expand
  76. Nov 27, 2013
    Like New Super Mario Bros U, breathes life into an okay franchise. It's got a bit of a slow start, and can sometimes be too easy, but the homages to past games, and even other franchises, definitely make up for it, and it even becomes one of the most fun Mario games to date.
  77. May 12, 2014
    My opinion in short:
    - great multiplayer fun
    - fun new ideas
    - awesome graphics
    - replayability because of stamps and stars
    - stamps for Miiverse
    - new items are awesome!
    - soundtrack is superb
    - the different characters are not soooo different from each other in my opinion
    - playtime feels a little short though
    - buy it if you like jnr's or mario!
  78. Nov 28, 2016
    I had LOADS of fun playing this. Its alot more fun with friends to play with. And the cat bell is a fun and amazing powerup! The levels are cool and fun to play through (most of them). The game does get kind of boring when you beat it, Unless you attempt to collect every thing in the game to unlock the last secret world.

The game is fun as hell. If you love mario or have a Wii U You

The game is fun as hell. If you love mario or have a Wii U You should TOTALLY get this awesome game!
  79. Nov 26, 2016
    Very fun! The game features tons of worlds including bonus worlds and a bonus Luigi bros. minigame on the menu screen. And now, there's cat suits! Who doesn't want a cat suit?
  80. R
    Dec 9, 2016
    I really enjoyed this edition of mario. It has a great artstyle, great level design, well placed secrets, and it shares elements from other mario games! I just shouts classic. This is the biggest reason why you should get a wii u and this is one of the best games on it. No screw that it is the best game on the system.
  81. Oct 5, 2015
    I had a lot of expectations going in for the next 3D Mario game on Wii-U. After Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii, its just incredible how excited I was for the next step, given Wii-U was Nintendo's first HD console. When I saw 3D World for the first time I was disappointed, it did not seemed like the next real step, but a step backwards and after playing the game I cant really say that I wasI had a lot of expectations going in for the next 3D Mario game on Wii-U. After Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii, its just incredible how excited I was for the next step, given Wii-U was Nintendo's first HD console. When I saw 3D World for the first time I was disappointed, it did not seemed like the next real step, but a step backwards and after playing the game I cant really say that I was wrong, 3D World does not take Mario to new heights. Yet, I cant deny either that the game did surprised me, because despite being simpler in concept and design, it is undeniable how hugely entertaining the game was. I couldn't stop playing it! The reason for that, comes in hand with the fact that it still shares some of the same principles of the Galaxy games, and that is being varied, creative and fast. The game just throws you new ideas and mechanics at an alarming pace, and there are so many, with such few repetition that at the end it also feels like some of them could have had another go, but the game almost never repeats itself, and that makes it incredibly enjoyable and addicting seeing how it is impossible to know what would come next, even if the final objective of every level is to reach the flagpole at the end. Add in an incredible jazzy soundtrack, some of the best power-ups in series history, very pretty graphics (if short of what I imagined they could be on a next gen Mario game), and some nice and very welcomed challenging levels and you got a game that despite not being what everybody wanted, is still a game everyone should want! Go buy it!! Expand
  82. Oct 23, 2015
    This is not a bad game. But try to play this title for a couple of hours and then, play Super Mario Galaxy a copule more. Did you notice? Yeah, this game is not comparable to the latests 3D Mario entries and everything from the past seems better than this.

I don't know who advised Nintendo to make a second part of Super 3D Land as the main Mario title for WiiU, but that guy should be a Nintendo hater trolling his bosses.
  83. May 25, 2016
    One of the best Mario games I've played since Super Mario World (snes). If you own a Wii U you'd be doing yourself a disservice in not buying this.

84. Oct 26, 2014
    Summary: Excellent in almost every way... characters have different attributes just like Super Mario Brothers 2. Most fun with Mario I have had since the Super Mario Galaxy games. A Must Buy.

Presentation Excellent presentation, menus and absolutely wonderful to look at. Nintendo continues its tradition of excellent Production Value... Gameplay At first play I was baffled at

Presentation

Gameplay

At first play I was baffled at the apparent slow down in movement when compared to previous games such as Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. As I played I realized this is not a game is the same vein as the preceding titles. It is almost a merging of traditional 2D super Mario games with Mario 64. Thus the name 3D world. Its level design is much different as well. They are much more linear than the previous games. I would consider the Mario "3D" franchise to be new, different and fresh. And boy is it fun. The addition of the run button makes it much easier for younger / inexperienced players to pickup and play.

There are in excess of 100 levels including the new Caption toad puzzle levels.

There are TONS of secrets and just as soon as you think you have the game beat, more worlds appear! I feel like Nintendo really likes to give Value with its games. I have played through and almost got every available star and have nto been able to put it down.

Graphics

Very good indeed... Mario has never looked this good. Presented in 720p 60FPS. As digital foundry found: there are NO dropped frames what so ever... none. Depth of field, shadows, and all kinds of lighting effects make an absolutely breathtaking view from the couch...

Sound

Great sound with Excellent Music. i think there are over 70 compositions in the game! Sound effects are perfect and clear. My Only beef with the sound is lack of better atmospheric use of the surround sound... Nintendo needs to do its 6.1 mixes with more of a movie feel.

Personal Comments

Great game. A must have for any gamer. And I love the Cat Suit!!!
  85. Dec 21, 2015
    Game: Super Mario 3D World
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo WiiU (WiiU) Total Score: 94/100 Value Score: 9.4/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 9/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Plays like Super Mario 3D Land +Play as Mario, Luigi, Peach and
    Game: Super Mario 3D World
    Genre: Adventure/Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo WiiU (WiiU)
    Total Score: 94/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Plays like Super Mario 3D Land
    +Play as Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad (later in the game you can also play as another Mario character)
    +Great Variety in Level design and Difficulty
    +A lot of elements from previous Mario games such as the NES series
    +Great Sound and OST
    +Well designed visuals
    +Multiplayer allows you to compete against players but also cooperate
    +Additional worlds/levels even after finishing the main game

Cons
    -Some notable characters were missing such as Yoshi and the Koopa Kids
    -Multiplayer is only local co-op
  86. Aug 16, 2017
    Super Mario 3d World is a solid game. The game's presentation is top notch with gorgeous hd visuals and colors that really pop. It also nails its cheerful atmosphere. Gameplay-wise, controls are tight and responsive. The game scales well from easy to hard. The levels are not too long, so it keeps the game engaging as well as hunting for the bonus objectives. It's one of the few gamesSuper Mario 3d World is a solid game. The game's presentation is top notch with gorgeous hd visuals and colors that really pop. It also nails its cheerful atmosphere. Gameplay-wise, controls are tight and responsive. The game scales well from easy to hard. The levels are not too long, so it keeps the game engaging as well as hunting for the bonus objectives. It's one of the few games that had gameplay engaging enough to where I actually beat the game. Lately, I had been getting tired of games concentrating on other categories but lacking on the gameplay department, so SM3D World really hit the spot for me. The downsides for me was that I felt the game had too many levels and could have been shortened to enhance the overall quality. Near the end, I started to get burnt out and the levels started to feel repetitive. The world design also lacks creativity and is rather stale. Overall, the game is a really solid title and held my interest enough to beat it which says a lot in this modern age of gaming. It could use improvements though and is definitely not one of the best games I've ever played. Expand
  87. May 30, 2014
    A beautiful masterpiece with amazing sound and level design, this game is truly perfect and is one of the best 3D Mario games ever made, it improves upon 3D land in pretty much every way.
  88. Dec 23, 2015
    I played 3d Land on a 2DS I've bough really cheap; I liked it so much, I was so excited it was like playing Mario Galaxy all over again - but it wasnt a copy, same formula, it was a new expecience. The game was so good I couldnt resist and got a WiiU to play 3D World (remember when people bought a console to PLAY a game that is already avaliable), and it was amazing because 3D world madeI played 3d Land on a 2DS I've bough really cheap; I liked it so much, I was so excited it was like playing Mario Galaxy all over again - but it wasnt a copy, same formula, it was a new expecience. The game was so good I couldnt resist and got a WiiU to play 3D World (remember when people bought a console to PLAY a game that is already avaliable), and it was amazing because 3D world made the style of 3D Land even bigger, with NEW creative levels (no rehash in level design!). It's as great sequel as Mario Galaxy 2 was - considered by many even better than the original.
    Of course the Wii-U was not short of great games and after 3D world I also got Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, MK8, and so many others....
  89. Feb 8, 2015
    I wrote this game off as "another Mario game". An HD version of 3D land. A cat-themed gimmick.

I was dead wrong. I got it bundled with my wii U, and what I got was magical. This game is something special, it really is. Never before has Mario felt so fresh, so new, so challenging, so beautiful (maybe in galaxy), so... Jazzy. It's snappy, it's clear, it's a blast with friends or by yourself. It's hard, really hard sometimes but never unfair. You'll learn to love the later challenges, and it starts so easy you won't ever be mad.

It's gorgeous, it makes you ooh and ah more than anything on your PS3 or even PS4. Don't write off the Wii U as a console, this machine as I discovered is a real powerhouse when it wants to be. Plus the memory is expandable with whatever you like instead of having to buy right from sony or anything, so you can just plug it into your PC hard drive or anything and be set to go.

This game will make you fall in love with Mario. It'll make you hum its tune at the bus stop, bring you and your friends together. It's a downright magical experience that reminds us all exactly why Mario is so very important to us all.
  90. Sep 18, 2016
    By far the funnest Mario game in years! I urge anyone with a wii u to purchase this game. This is pure AAA grade Nintendo gaming. The local multiplayer is an absolute blast anyone can join & leave whenever. Perfect game for families or hanging out with friends.What can you say except for one of the greatest games I've ever played. From the fun power ups, to the amazing visuals, I hadBy far the funnest Mario game in years! I urge anyone with a wii u to purchase this game. This is pure AAA grade Nintendo gaming. The local multiplayer is an absolute blast anyone can join & leave whenever. Perfect game for families or hanging out with friends.What can you say except for one of the greatest games I've ever played. From the fun power ups, to the amazing visuals, I had nothing but fun playing through this game. MUST HAVE, pick it up. I'm hoping it does get game of the year because this game deserves it. Expand
  91. Dec 25, 2014
    A very underated game. It has a great art style and theme to it. Levels are quick, but offers an enormous replayability to them. The content offered in the game is so diverse and amazing. Best mario game flr the wii u so far!
  92. Nov 17, 2014
    One of THE best platformers I've ever played and one of the best mario games I've ever played. As someone who's recently 100% the game I can say there is next to no problems in either singleplayer or local multiplayer. Even though I said there weren't many there still are problems and they mainly come from the camera. The whole gimmick of 3d world is it's a 3d game that plays on a 2dOne of THE best platformers I've ever played and one of the best mario games I've ever played. As someone who's recently 100% the game I can say there is next to no problems in either singleplayer or local multiplayer. Even though I said there weren't many there still are problems and they mainly come from the camera. The whole gimmick of 3d world is it's a 3d game that plays on a 2d camera, imagine super mario galaxy only on a fixed camera point that scrolls. on easier levels it isn't an issue and if it is you can subtly tilt the camera in any direction you want. But on the harder stages you'll constantly be dying due to depth perception issues because of the camera and in multiplayer the damn thing can stay still and will constantly skew and hover over a specific player causing unwanted deaths or abrupt idle bubble time. Still this is very fun and even if you aren't interested in the frustration that is champion's road then the base game offer atleast 8 hours of fun with gorgeous graphics, a consistent framerate and great controls. Expand
  93. Jan 18, 2015
    This game is easily my favorite mario game of all time. It is just pure 3D platforming entertainment. The characters each play different and are great to try out to see which one will be your favorite. The worlds and enemies are all original and creative. The story is super straight forward, simply beating each level, while collecting all of the hidden green stars. And it just feel likeThis game is easily my favorite mario game of all time. It is just pure 3D platforming entertainment. The characters each play different and are great to try out to see which one will be your favorite. The worlds and enemies are all original and creative. The story is super straight forward, simply beating each level, while collecting all of the hidden green stars. And it just feel like grade A nintendo entertainment. Worth a pick up for anybody with a Wii U. Expand
  94. Jul 13, 2017
    Super Mario 3D World is, perhaps, the best platforming game of the eighth generation of consoles, so much that I don't even think I need to praise it more than people already do. Nevertheless, it's also probably the easiest one. In this game, you are given 1-up shrooms almost every time you scale a tree or break a crate. And while it brings nothing new to the table (besides the Cat Suit),Super Mario 3D World is, perhaps, the best platforming game of the eighth generation of consoles, so much that I don't even think I need to praise it more than people already do. Nevertheless, it's also probably the easiest one. In this game, you are given 1-up shrooms almost every time you scale a tree or break a crate. And while it brings nothing new to the table (besides the Cat Suit), it's the pinnacle of the Mario formula, polished to the very last pixel, and a must-buy for any owner of a Wii U. Expand
  95. May 12, 2017
    At its core, "Super Mario 3D World" might just seem like a "more blown-up version of 'Super Mario 3D Land'" on the Wii U. Whether or not that's true is beyond me, but I can tell you this: "Super Mario 3D World" is absolutely fantastic.
    It's tremendous and fun to play, the visuals are fantastic, the level design is brilliant, the music is beautifully composed, and the ability to play 4 player co-op in a 3D Mario game (even if there's debate about it being a true 3D Mario game) only adds to the fun. Let's also not forget that there's plenty of challenge here, so you won't be breezing through the game in a snap, there is plenty to do and a good difficulty curve all-around.
    Sure, the camera can be finicky with 4 players, but all things told, "Super Mario 3D World" is truly one of the Wii U's best titles and it's a game that absolutely shouldn't be missed.
    Final rating: 10 out of 10 "Fantastic"
  96. Mar 16, 2014
    Anyone negatively reviewing this game just has a bone to pick with nintendo. From a critical perspective, this game is one of the best designed games I've ever played. It is crafted with great care, and you can feel it throughout. It shakes up the traditional Mario formula in MANY ways, so its not "just another mario game" like you hear some people complain. The final bonus levels areAnyone negatively reviewing this game just has a bone to pick with nintendo. From a critical perspective, this game is one of the best designed games I've ever played. It is crafted with great care, and you can feel it throughout. It shakes up the traditional Mario formula in MANY ways, so its not "just another mario game" like you hear some people complain. The final bonus levels are insanely difficult. Don't think that this is going to be a walk in the park. There is real satisfaction to be gained from beating a level after spending days or even weeks on it. There is an incredible amount of replayability in it as well. No real gamer could play this and say it was a poor game. This is THE must buy game for the Wii U, and if you havent played it yet, youre missing out! Expand
  97. May 20, 2014
    Recent Mario games favor to stay at a safe zone. Each one does little to change the formula and unfortunately tend to blend together. 3D World is at a comfortable middle. It does enough to feel like its own game, with its unique level designs, excellent pacing, and surprisingly addictive multiplayer. But 3D World doesn’t feel as innovative as Super Mario Galaxy felt before it. All in all,Recent Mario games favor to stay at a safe zone. Each one does little to change the formula and unfortunately tend to blend together. 3D World is at a comfortable middle. It does enough to feel like its own game, with its unique level designs, excellent pacing, and surprisingly addictive multiplayer. But 3D World doesn’t feel as innovative as Super Mario Galaxy felt before it. All in all, 3D World is a fantastic addition with enough personality to be its own game.

Bowser is at it once again but this time instead of taking the princess, he has kidnapped several fairies and locked them away inside bottles. The team makes hot pursuit and follows Bowser into the fairy’s kingdom. After years of playing the damsel in distress, Princess Peach finally joins the cast once again for the first time since Super Mario Bros 2.

This time around the player gets to choose from four characters to play as; Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad.
    Each character has their own unique abilities and flaws similarly to Super Mario Bros 2. Mario is the most balanced character as he is the most agile, Luigi has the highest jump, Peach is the slowest and can float during a jump, and Toad is the fastest. Players can reselect a new character before any level making quick changes in play styles simple. Most levels don’t call for a specific character so playing the game in its entirety as your favorite character is welcome. This refreshing tweak in the formula is an excellent change as it gives players variety as well as a chance to play as their favorite character.

While 3D World is a blast to play in single-player, the fun multiples in co-op. The unique and colorful 3D worlds with New Super Mario Bros.’ chaotic four player co-op action is an excellent blend. Everyone can work together or create chaos, sabotaging each other’s game. Tossing friends off cliffs, stealing every power-up, and doing whatever it takes to get the highest on the flagpole always keeps every teammate active. Each player has their own score tallied against each other at the end of each level and the player with the highest wins a wearable crown. This subtle system keeps players looking out to being number one and getting the crown when everyone is supposed to be working together.

The classic power-ups including the Fire Flower, Star, and Boomerang Flower make a return as well as joined by a few new power-ups. The main new power-up this time around is the Cat Suit, a power-up that transforms the character into a cat. With the suit, the character struts around on all fours and gains new abilities including a scratch attack as well as a dive bomb move adding new offensive options. The cat suit also allows Mario and the gang to scale walls, helping them escape enemies and find new hidden passages. The new power-up also allows the user to climb to the top of the flagpole from any angle. The cat suit is a useful and fun new addition to the line-up of powers.

The other new power-up is the Double Cherry. With this power-up, a player duplicates their character and adds another duplicate with each new cherry pick-up. While it is a neat mechanic, as you control multiple clones of your character, it isn’t as useful as a full time power-up. If one clone strays too far away or gets hit you lose a clone, so the fun with clones ends quicker than it began.

Green Stars and Stamps replace Star Coins as the collectibles in this game. As the Star Coins before, there are three Green Stars in each level as well as one Stamp. A few levels can only be opened by having a certain number of Green Stars so returning to past levels and clearing them completely is both rewarding and satisfying. Bonus stages also appear after the credits, encouraging many to return and gather up Green Stars. You can even unlock a recognizable bonus character.

My only issue is the game’s camera. Players familiar with Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS will recognize the same camera. There are times where the focused camera can feel a bit annoying even confusing. One accidental leap of faith can lead to uncertain death until the “too bad” chime plays. There were a few insists during my play through where my character would do the cat diving move far off camera and dive off into an unseen death pit. It takes a bit of getting used to, especially during chaotic four-player sessions. Another small issue I had is that the game features no controller options so player can’t remap their buttons. With the multiple controller options, including the Wii U Pro Controller as well as Wiimote and Nunchuk, it’s a surprise this feature wasn’t included.

Super Mario 3D World doesn’t reinvent the Mario formula, but it is a refreshing new addition to the current Mario line-up. The game delivers with both an outstanding cast of characters and both nostalgic and unique level designs. This game has been one of the most fun experiences I had with a Mario game in a while. 3D World truly delivers challenge, fun, and surprise for all to enjoy.
  98. Aug 21, 2014
    This game is really good. Music is great. It plays like Mario 3D land, but better. Is a good to play with friends and family. but is competitive play could be turn off. Overall I say get it.
  99. Oct 13, 2014
    Oh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, theOh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, the music is a thing of sheer wpicness all by itself, but then being pushed further by the best graphics on Wii U yet, I can go on and on, but the message would always be the same, the game RULES! Expand
  100. Apr 2, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World reminded me of why I love Mario games, because they are fun. I'm not really into graphics in video games but this game has amazing graphics for a Mario game. They even added a wet texture to the characters when it rains which I know it's not a new technology but it was the first time I seen it used well. The new cat suits power up made the game more fun where you needSuper Mario 3D World reminded me of why I love Mario games, because they are fun. I'm not really into graphics in video games but this game has amazing graphics for a Mario game. They even added a wet texture to the characters when it rains which I know it's not a new technology but it was the first time I seen it used well. The new cat suits power up made the game more fun where you need them to reach hidden areas to find hidden items or green stars.

In short, I had a lot of fun playing this game and I would love to see this game come out with DLC maps in the future.

1. Jan 28, 2015
    This game was yet another solid, fun-for-days title in the Mario series.
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    While not as revolutionary as Mario 64 or Galaxy, 3D World manages to feel simultaneously fresh and nostalgic in a way the New Super Mario Bros. series never quite realized.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Mario Galaxies have finally gotten the follow up they so rightfully deserve. Fun, exciting and surprising, Super Mario 3D World is everything a good platformer needs to be. [Dec 2013]