9.0

1. Dec 14, 2013
    As of writing, the WiiU is a console that continues to struggle. It's facing stiff competition from both Sony and Microsoft. On the other hand, Nintendo seems to be confident that SM3DWorld would turn the WiiU around. For those who had a WiiU, you're in for a treat. Multiplayer Mario done right? You got it. Incredible level designs? You got it. One of the best Mario since Galaxy and aAs of writing, the WiiU is a console that continues to struggle. It's facing stiff competition from both Sony and Microsoft. On the other hand, Nintendo seems to be confident that SM3DWorld would turn the WiiU around. For those who had a WiiU, you're in for a treat. Multiplayer Mario done right? You got it. Incredible level designs? You got it. One of the best Mario since Galaxy and a true system seller for the fledging console. If only more people were aware of this game, and stop arguing about graphics....and console power. Expand
  2. Feb 22, 2014
    Buy a Wii U for this game. Seriously. This is a great game that shows off the Wii U's capabilities (like the luscious HD graphics and use of the gamepad in a way that shows it's presence, yet isn't overused and boring like ZombiU where you check the gamepad every two seconds). Anyone who looks past this game due to it being Nintendo is an idiot. Even though this game is child-friendlyBuy a Wii U for this game. Seriously. This is a great game that shows off the Wii U's capabilities (like the luscious HD graphics and use of the gamepad in a way that shows it's presence, yet isn't overused and boring like ZombiU where you check the gamepad every two seconds). Anyone who looks past this game due to it being Nintendo is an idiot. Even though this game is child-friendly overall, the final levels test any gamer's abilities and is one of the most difficult modern games in the final levels. The first levels are ok, and a bit repetitive but every level after that is amazing. The running is good. People complain about it, but there is no problem. It wasn't needed and doesn't add anything to the gameplay, but it doesn't take anything from it either. Sometimes the timer can be annoying, but that is very rarely a problem. The music is great. Super Mario Bros 2 was my favourite Mario game, and this takes concepts from 2 and 3 which is great. Anyone crying that it isn't like Mario Galaxy should shut up. I get that they want Super Mario Galaxy 3, but that doesn't make this game bad. You don't see reviews on Zelda complaining it isn't Mario Galaxy 3. Expand
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    The creativity in this game is amazing, no two levels are the same, and some introduce new gameplay mechanics. The multiplayer is a blast, and on single player it's challenging especially if you want to get all three green stars, the stamp, and to land on top of the flag pole. I also love the cat suit and double cherries. In my opinion this game is not better then Galaxy but it's close, itThe creativity in this game is amazing, no two levels are the same, and some introduce new gameplay mechanics. The multiplayer is a blast, and on single player it's challenging especially if you want to get all three green stars, the stamp, and to land on top of the flag pole. I also love the cat suit and double cherries. In my opinion this game is not better then Galaxy but it's close, it has great graphics, music, gameplay, and tons of replayability. So far this is my favorite Wii U game, beating Lego City Undercover's eight month reign, and anyone with a Wii U should buy it. Expand
  4. May 15, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World packs the same creative 3D platforming that made the Galaxy games so great along with the charm of the classic Mario games and its own new fresh ideas. Nintendo has proven yet again that they know how to make their series new again.
  5. Feb 7, 2015
    My daughter and I played every level together and LOVED IT. This has some of the best designed 3D stages ever made for a platformer. It is just so much fun to play, which is the whole point of video games.
  6. Jan 2, 2015
    I would love to score it higher but I just didn't get the same enjoyment as others from this game as time went on I felt less and less challenged and more and more bored, it looks fantastic and I find the audio side of things very amusing a solid 8/10 though
  7. Jan 11, 2015
    Apparently, Mario games with a 10 out of 10 rating are not hard to come by anymore. I would never have thought I would have to decide if a game is better than Galaxy 2 or not!

Super Mario 3D World is simply fantastic. There's literally no other way to say it. It has fantastic level design, amazing new power-ups, simple controls, and spectacular music! Every level is different from the one before it and the next! (excluding some of the...other worlds) You can tell how much effort when into making each level unique and stand out. You might be riding on Plessie in the water on one level, catching bunnies in a savanna in the next, and then avoiding Piranha Plants in a dangerous swamp later!

The bosses are another high point in the series. Let's be honest here, 3D Land's bosses were incredibly repetitive and could become boring after a while. That all changes here! Bosses like Hisstocrat and Motley Bossblob in particular are very memorable and unique! It's true that all the bosses seem to take place in the middle of nowhere...but honestly who cares? All the bosses seem like they belong in the Galaxy games: that's a good thing! The Bowser fights are also memorable with the final one in particular being amazing!

The new Cat Bell and Double Cherry power-ups are perhaps some of the most unique power-ups in the Mario series! The Cat Bell turns you into a cat (of course). You can climb up walls, scratch enemies, and even get to the top of the flagpole much easier than you can normally. The Double Cherry power-up can be a bit irritating at times as it can make many clones of your character. It begs the question: if you lose one of the characters the Double Cherry made, could that be the real one?

The Super Mario Bros. 2 character cast is a much needed breath of fresh air in the series. It can get pretty boring to be Mario and Luigi only after a while but with the addition of new characters like Peach and Toad, it never gets repetitive! Peach can hover just like in SMB2 and Toad's super fast. Toad's my personal favorite of the bunch but that's probably just because he's one of my favorite Mario characters overall.

The soundtrack is just as great as the Galaxy games! That is something I honestly never thought I'd say. The Double Cherry Pass theme and Hisstocrat theme in particular are easily some of the best Mario soundtracks ever! The return of live orchestrated music is a great addition and I sincerely hopes it returns in many more Mario games!

Overall, Super Mario 3D World is another game that justifies a Wii U purchase and it is another fantastic entry in the Mario franchise! There's not a single bad thing in the game, just like Galaxy 2!
  8. Jan 19, 2015
    This is a fun game that is worth checking out, but other mario games were much better

-PROS
    -good story
    -Outstanding graphics
    -fun abilities
    -Awesome bosses

CONS
    -boring at times
  9. Nov 24, 2013
    This game remember me a lot to super mario bros 2
    i like that. compared with other "next generations" game like cod ghost,dead rising 3,ryse son of rome,killzone shadow fall....this game is fun,its solid,a good step to the next generations
    excelent gameplay,excelent graphics,a good soundtrack
    i loved it
  10. Jan 8, 2014
    Everything about this game is borderline perfect. The level design is amazing, absurdly addicting with 3 or 4 players (seriously it's crazy), the music is very catchy and memorable (the Boo house theme is a really good piece) and it's just so much fun. This game is hands down one of the best games of the year and is an essential purchase for any Wii U owner.
  11. Dec 25, 2013
    Prepare to get sucked into a world whose charm and creativity are almost too much for words. Mario's first 3D adventure on Wii U is the kind of game that exhales an almost magic sense of fun, making it oh so hard to put the controller down.

As you may have heard, this is the first 3D Mario game that features a true multiplayer mode. Taking inspiration from somewhat underrated gem Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES, you're able to play as either Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach or Toad (with a fifth unlockable character for you to find), each with their own abilities, either alone or with friends. Better yet, the designers managed to somehow craft an experience that feels perfectly suited for both solo playthroughs and multiplayer madness.

There are quite a few power ups available (both old and new), with the adorable cat suit being at the forefront. It's not just cuteness, either, as Cat Mario & friends are given the very useful ability of wall (and flagpole) climbing. My favorite power up, however, has to be the double cherry, an item that adds another version of your chosen character to be controlled by you at the same time. Of course, you also get to chain cherries, which can result in you controlling up to five of the same characters at once. Yes, this is as chaotic as it sounds, and it's just as fun as you'd imagine.

The graphics are the best they've ever been in the entire series, with 60 frames per second being the norm all the way through, and benefitting from Wii U's HD capabilities. The character textures have a kind of luminous sheen that goes extremely easy on the eyes, and the lighting effects are great. The attention to detail displayed here is stunning, and can be appreciated from Cat mario's feline mannerisms to the raindrops rolling down the camera screen. The music is equally as impressive, featuring many new tunes that are as catchy as the classic ones. This is a game that never fails to keep impressing you with its production value and unbridled creativity.

Another constantly impressive trait is the level design. The game features some of the best levels ever crafted for any 3D platformer ever, taking full advantage of the possibilities for each of the game's many power ups, and hiding collectibles (sometimes quite deviously) all the way through.

Aside from the now usual stars, you're also tasked with finding a special stamp on each stage. Each of them is unique, allowing you to customize Miiverse posts depending on which ones you've found. It's a great idea that gives collectibles further use, while letting you brag by innocuously including a hard-to-find stamp image on a message that will then be read by fellow players in-game. There do seems to be a lack of less obvious secrets, though, with only a couple of warp zones to stand in for secret exits.

The game differs from previous 3D Mario games in its stage and world structure. Perhaps to help accommodate multiplayer (and to bounce off the success of 3DS's slightly overrated Super Mario 3D Land), stages are more linear than usual, with a clear finishing line in each of them. This makes 3D World, in a way, less deep than the likes of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but has the potential to disappoint some more hard-core exploration enthusiasts. In the same vein, the difficulty is generally toned down, with most stages not being necessarily hard. Luckily, the series's sense of creativity continues to permeate each world, making the game worthy of standing on the same pantheon as those previous classics.

Continuing this long line of impressive 3D outings for the main Super Mario series, 3D World is a testament to the game design brilliance of Nintendo. From start to finish, the game is the kind of joyous experience that keeps people coming back to the Japanese company in face of the by-the-numbers shooters and uber-realistic graphics that flood the industry these days. It's a brave set of footsteps for other companies to hopefully follow, and a reminder of why video games are so much fun in the first place.

Rating: 9.5
  12. Dec 27, 2013
    The Mario series has recently got repetitive and unimaginative. I was worried this would be the point where it stopped being the perfect example of game design it once was, but Super Mario 3D World proved me wrong. Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game since Galaxy 2, and in many ways it’s almost like a new Mario Galaxy game. It’s full of playful ideas, creative power-ups andThe Mario series has recently got repetitive and unimaginative. I was worried this would be the point where it stopped being the perfect example of game design it once was, but Super Mario 3D World proved me wrong. Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game since Galaxy 2, and in many ways it’s almost like a new Mario Galaxy game. It’s full of playful ideas, creative power-ups and pitch-perfect design.
    The graphics look beautiful. They’re crisp and sharp, and 3D World revels in telling you that. From visually stunning cutscenes to camera angles that show you the world’s beauty, Super Mario 3D World uses graphics to generate an atmosphere that’s unrivalled by other games. This is the best Mario games have ever looked, in glorious, colourful HD. Lots of new environments help make it look so good. Tiny details aren’t overlooked- small droplets of water trickle down the screen in rainy levels. There is a level set in the African Savannah, in which the sun casts a spell on the land. Even environments from previous Marios are updated to look fantastic: the water sparkles beautifully in the beach levels and the lava in volcano levels has never looked more alive.
    The fantastic music sets the atmosphere, ranging from the haunting ghost house theme to the many jazzy tunes in the game. The recordings are of excellent quality, too.
    But while the presentation of the game firmly pushes it into the next-gen, it’s the groundbreaking gameplay that makes it one of the best Mario games. Multiplayer is a riot, with chaotic gameplay that’s full of calamity, and yet fun. Each character has different strengths and weaknesses, for example, Peach is one for inexperienced players as she can glide and runs slower. It’s one of the best additions to a Mario game since he went to space. It is annoying, however, that players share lives, so an expert player may find all their lives drained if they’re playing with a novice. This isn’t a huge problem, though, as getting a game over only takes you back to the start of the level. Local multiplayer is a blast, but it’s a shame there’s no online.
    There are loads of new power-ups and items. As well as returning ones, the cat suit allows Mario to climb walls and scratch enemies, but the double cherry was my favourite. Every time you collect one, it creates a clone of you that you control at the same time. Soon I had five clones of myself and combined with fire Mario, I could shoot five fireballs at a time! It allows for fun, chaotic gameplay.
    Of course the power-ups would be useless without the level design, and 3D World succeeds on that area too. Levels are brimming with creativity. Each one is wildly different from the other. Some of my favourites were an underground level in which you could only see the shadows of everything. In another, there were platforms that appeared and disappeared in time with the rhythm of the music. Mario 3D World juggles tonnes of new ideas but never lets any of them outstay their welcome. I constantly complete a level (which usually take about 5 minutes) to be faced with yet another idea which turns everything on its head. Sadly, the Gamepad is integrated very little into the game. That second screen’s capabilities are not utilised nearly as much as they should be. This doesn’t remove the creativity in the game at all though, and 3D World has some of the best bosses in the series, with hugely inventive battles, despite there not being enough of them.
    Levels are at their most challenging in this entry in the series, as well. Prepare to die a lot, especially in the later stages. Some of the levels in the Bowser world seriously challenged me, with one in particular killing me over fifteen times. Overall, the game took me about 10 hours from the beginning to the end credits, which is an underwhelming length when compared to its predecessors. It’s got a lot of content, but the fact levels are short bursts of energy rather than the long challenges they were in games in the Galaxy series means 3D World is a lot shorter. There are however 3 green stars and a stamp to collect in each level, which are hidden in hard-to-find areas or put in precarious positions that are extremely hard to reach and survive. There are also extra levels available after you beat the game, but fewer than in past Mario games. Altogether, though, 3D World does add up to a longer experience than 10 hours, particularly if you aim to complete it 100%. It’s an excellent Mario game, one that’s constantly throwing in something new. It has better graphics and framerate than the majority of PS4 and Xbox One launch games and, best of all, it’s huge fun to play. It can easily claim the prize of being an outstanding platformer, and it proves that even now, Nintendo can still create an inventive, fresh and well-designed Mario game as much as they could 25 years ago.
  13. Sep 3, 2014
    Pure Nostalgia, that's the first thing I felt when I played this game. It gave me the same childlike wonder and amazement I felt from playing Mario 64 or Super Mario World when I was younger. This is also one of the nicest looking games I've seen on the Wii-U yet and the amount of creativity put into the worlds really shows that. If you got 3 other people to play with it makes this gamePure Nostalgia, that's the first thing I felt when I played this game. It gave me the same childlike wonder and amazement I felt from playing Mario 64 or Super Mario World when I was younger. This is also one of the nicest looking games I've seen on the Wii-U yet and the amount of creativity put into the worlds really shows that. If you got 3 other people to play with it makes this game even more enjoyable. Even that this game has tons of great parts about it there are still downsides. Having to go back and grind for more stars to open the next work can be some what boring when you are playing with friends and playing alone can be difficult sometimes. But the small problems hardly change that this is a amazing game worth all of your hard earned dollars. Expand
  14. Jan 17, 2014
    one of the best games out there on the wii u super mario 3d world brings the enjoyful of mario luigi toad and peach the game has quite a lot things you can do the captain toad game are far of may fav mini games on here this is more step foward to super mario 3d land
  15. Feb 11, 2014
    Super Mario 3D world is simply a pure delight. This game is nothing that will blow your mind, but it is a game that so consistently hits the right marks. Nintendo has the 3D style of Mario down to an art, and what a lovely art this game is.

Typical of Nintendo, the game is fairly simple, easy to pick up and play. Of course, hidden underneath are several hidden mechanics and a few unique moves, but most everything is as it has been since Super Mario 64. However, they throw in just enough new things to make people like myself who have grown up with Mario to enjoy the new challenges. In particular, I found the double cherries to be a particularly fun challenge.

This game is probably longer than the average Mario adventure. For the first time ever, I was beginning to wonder when it might end, as there's one secret world after another. Some of the later levels provide a particularly high level of challenge. I can always trust Nintendo to provide some of those at the end, and I joyously lost hundreds of lives to the last few. There's a time and a place for those kind of moments, and Nintendo usually knows when to place them, so it's fine.

This game brings out the simple joy of a good platformer. It builds on itself to create one of the top Mario games of in recent years, and one that I would highly recommend.
  16. Feb 17, 2014
    This is an awesome great game. The mechanics are perfect and the art work is second to none. I you need a pallet cleanser for all these dark dreary games this is the one to play.
  17. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A truly magical Mario adventure. It may not take many chances but it does everything with such flair it hardly matters.

Super Mario 3D World's gameplay isn't revolutionary by any means. It simply takes the tried and tested Mario formula and improves on it in almost every single way, adding a bunch of great new ideas along the way. The controls are flawlessly tight, the frame rate as smooth and rock solid as it has ever been and the new ideas (and there are plenty of them) all work like an absolute charm. There's the cat suit, which is the most adorable thing ever, allowing you to climb walls and reach areas of maps you otherwise couldn't. This gives a fun element of exploration to the levels on a level that I've never experienced in a 3D Mario game before. There's ideas used from all sorts of previous Mario games and the sliding Nessie levels which are similar to the N64's famous penguin slide level are a particular highlight. The ability to use 4 characters from the onset (including Peach) makes this game really unique in the Mario series. All the characters are well balanced and yet different enough to make using each of them a unique experience. I should also mention at this point that the boss battles are perhaps some of the most inventive of any Mario game. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Another new addition are the excellent captain toad levels which bring a nice puzzle element to proceedings. Playing as captain toad who can't jump or attack means even the humble goomba is a mighty enemy and really brings some fresh gameplay to the table. Collecting the 5 green stars as our small hero is a lot of fun and requires good planning above reflexes!

The multiplayer is a chaotic but very fun experience when played against each other but I found it most enjoyable when working together to complete levels. It adds a completely new dimension to the game and I'd thoroughly recommend getting some friends round and giving it a blast!

Visually this blows all previous Mario games squarely out the park. It's an absolute stunner. The shiny sheen on everything and varied use of colour throughout the levels makes this a real feast for the eyes and quite possibly the best looking game I've yet to have the joy of playing on any console. The 3D and yet classically styled overworld is a great modern take on an old concept and really helps give the game a polished feel. It continues to wow me with it's visuals to this day, and I've played a lot of it.

Content wise there is plenty. There are 8 worlds with plenty of levels and a further Mario Galaxy inspired world (which is brilliant) that you unlock after completing the first 8 worlds. It doesn't end there though there are a few more worlds featuring fresh takes on other levels to unlock. Couple this plethora of worlds with the 3 stars and stamp to collect on each level and you've got a massive game. Collecting the stars feels fun and essential and although certainly challenging has as of yet never felt like a chore to me, and I've collected a lot of them!

In conclusion this is an absolute gem of a game and already belongs to my all-time favourites. It has that 'one more level' gameplay that gets you hooked and it's such a blast to play that I'm sure I'll be playing this for a long while yet. In fact I have trouble deciding whether Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 or this are the best Mario game, which is high praise indeed!
  18. Mar 16, 2014
    Anyone negatively reviewing this game just has a bone to pick with nintendo. From a critical perspective, this game is one of the best designed games I've ever played. It is crafted with great care, and you can feel it throughout. It shakes up the traditional Mario formula in MANY ways, so its not "just another mario game" like you hear some people complain. The final bonus levels areAnyone negatively reviewing this game just has a bone to pick with nintendo. From a critical perspective, this game is one of the best designed games I've ever played. It is crafted with great care, and you can feel it throughout. It shakes up the traditional Mario formula in MANY ways, so its not "just another mario game" like you hear some people complain. The final bonus levels are insanely difficult. Don't think that this is going to be a walk in the park. There is real satisfaction to be gained from beating a level after spending days or even weeks on it. There is an incredible amount of replayability in it as well. No real gamer could play this and say it was a poor game. This is THE must buy game for the Wii U, and if you havent played it yet, youre missing out! Expand
  19. Feb 28, 2015
    This game is fun! More like Super Mario HD World. I spend the most time playing this game with fufufu or luigifan34/luigifan34weegee ,but after 5 hours of gameplay,it gets boring. I still like this game a lot especially the graphics. They also have the Super Mario Galaxy style of controls, but it doesn't auto dash which is absolute s***. Oh and by the way, if you have a Wii U and you don'tThis game is fun! More like Super Mario HD World. I spend the most time playing this game with fufufu or luigifan34/luigifan34weegee ,but after 5 hours of gameplay,it gets boring. I still like this game a lot especially the graphics. They also have the Super Mario Galaxy style of controls, but it doesn't auto dash which is absolute s***. Oh and by the way, if you have a Wii U and you don't have this game, stop being lazy, get up, and go pick it up. It is a good game. Or just buy the 3D World+Nintendo Land(great game) bundle. Expand
  20. May 30, 2014
    A beautiful masterpiece with amazing sound and level design, this game is truly perfect and is one of the best 3D Mario games ever made, it improves upon 3D land in pretty much every way.
  21. Jan 1, 2014
    just like all the other reviews you've checked, this game is just great in every way you can imagine. It has wonderful controls, a variety of characters to choose from (Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach) beautiful visuals, an amazing soundtrack! i say if you own a Wii U, this is a game that you need to own.
  22. Feb 27, 2014
    What many originally considered to be Super Mario 3.D. Land 2.0, Super Mario 3.D. World is an entirely different game, though uses the same formula...essentially mixing the worlds of both 2.D. and 3.D. Super Mario in one. The game is near flawless, with one issue that ends up being big enough for me to deduct an entire point. The camera during multiplayer is rather awful, it will causeWhat many originally considered to be Super Mario 3.D. Land 2.0, Super Mario 3.D. World is an entirely different game, though uses the same formula...essentially mixing the worlds of both 2.D. and 3.D. Super Mario in one. The game is near flawless, with one issue that ends up being big enough for me to deduct an entire point. The camera during multiplayer is rather awful, it will cause many lives lost and will cause much frustration among many. Super Mario 3.D. World has a lot of content and will provide many hours of entertainment. Expand
  23. Nov 28, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful and exciting game. Hands down one of the best games in the Mario series.. A lot of fun to play solo and even more fun to play with one or more friends. Creative level design and gorgeous scenery. A must buy for any Wii U owner.
  24. Jan 1, 2014
    When a game is as good as Super Mario 3D World, it's hard to think of the words that sums it up with sufficient accuracy. But I'll give it a go:

Nintendo's Game of the Year. This is a fresh installment to the Mario franchise, unleashing outstanding class and originality in one neat little package. It captures the very essence of platforming and makes it relevant for any age group, at any level of expertise, in single player or in multiplayer. A casual audience will love having their mates over for a bout in racing for the flag, while the hardcore gamers will have their hands full in trying to achieve 100% completion and setting personal bests for the online community to beat. For many, Super Mario 3D World is the game that justifies their purchase of a Wii U console, and it opens the minds of Wii U owners to fully see what the newest Nintendo home console is truly capable of.
  25. Jan 18, 2015
    This game is easily my favorite mario game of all time. It is just pure 3D platforming entertainment. The characters each play different and are great to try out to see which one will be your favorite. The worlds and enemies are all original and creative. The story is super straight forward, simply beating each level, while collecting all of the hidden green stars. And it just feel likeThis game is easily my favorite mario game of all time. It is just pure 3D platforming entertainment. The characters each play different and are great to try out to see which one will be your favorite. The worlds and enemies are all original and creative. The story is super straight forward, simply beating each level, while collecting all of the hidden green stars. And it just feel like grade A nintendo entertainment. Worth a pick up for anybody with a Wii U. Expand
  26. Dec 5, 2013
    Watch any trailer for this game and if you like what you see, know that it is every bit as fantastic as it looks. Excellently designed levels, tightly polished controls, colorful and delightful graphics. Any fan of platformers is sure to enjoy this game.
  27. Nov 23, 2013
    The best Mario game so far. Why? Because it has more content than ALL the Mario games combined to this date, and it has a lot of replay value. Graphics: 7/10 Music: 9/10 Gameplay: 10/10 Story: 10/10 Replay Value: 9/10 Length of the game: 8/10 Controllers: 9/10 OVERALL: 8.85 (rounded to 9) BONUS FOR BEING THE BEST MARIO GAME UP TO DATE (+1) 10/10
  28. Jan 1, 2014
    This is the best mario game since galaxy Super mario 3d world is an outstanding game it fantastic in every aspect it's creative and the game is extremely fun
  29. Nov 22, 2013
    How could you complain about a game like this?? Seriously its pure FUN from beginning to end. Not to mention the soundtrack is amazing, the visuals are astounding and the multiplayer is actually pretty darn good. Its a perfect game for a system that needed a game like this. Its a system-seller.
  30. Nov 30, 2013
    It took exactly one year and four days after the console's launch, but the Wii U finally has a must-own, must-play title that will be remembered for years to come. Combining elements from virtually every Mario 2D and 3D platformer before it, Super Mario 3D World is both a celebration of the series' past and a refreshing new take on the tried-and-true formula. You will be tempted to playIt took exactly one year and four days after the console's launch, but the Wii U finally has a must-own, must-play title that will be remembered for years to come. Combining elements from virtually every Mario 2D and 3D platformer before it, Super Mario 3D World is both a celebration of the series' past and a refreshing new take on the tried-and-true formula. You will be tempted to play through the entire main game in just a few sittings, but there's plenty more to do after that especially for completionists and those who like a serious challenge. I never stop smiling while playing this game, and I don't think you will, either. Expand
  31. Oct 13, 2014
    Oh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, theOh boy, this game is a much more ambitious version of Super Mario 3D Land, does it work?, hell yeah, it's fun, fast, and always presenting you with something different, the different gameplay styles with different characters adds a hell of a lot of replayablility to this game, the stamps you can collect in levels and then use in Miiverse posts was a great idea that really does pay off, the music is a thing of sheer wpicness all by itself, but then being pushed further by the best graphics on Wii U yet, I can go on and on, but the message would always be the same, the game RULES! Expand
  32. Nov 11, 2014
    This is my favourite Mario game ever. The visuals are stunning, the multiplayer works incredibly well and good times are sure to be had. If you own a wii u, you have to own this game.
  33. Feb 21, 2015
    This game is just another complete rip-off of angry birds. The game itself is exactly the same except the graphics quality is much lower and the gameplay is significantly less user friendly.
  34. Jan 15, 2014
    All the vibrant fun of the best Mario games but none of the frustrations. Having said that there is something else missing, a challenge. Nintendo has walked the thin line between pleasing existing fans and attracting new fans who may be put off by a higher difficulty level. The problem isn't that the game is too easy but that there is rarely any risk or reward in anything that you do.All the vibrant fun of the best Mario games but none of the frustrations. Having said that there is something else missing, a challenge. Nintendo has walked the thin line between pleasing existing fans and attracting new fans who may be put off by a higher difficulty level. The problem isn't that the game is too easy but that there is rarely any risk or reward in anything that you do.

Coins used to be collected to gain extra lives, now it's just for fun. Yes you still get extra lives but what's the point when you get infinite continues?

A big thing is made of hitting the top of the flag pole but you can cheat by storing a cat suit until the end of the level and then just climbing to the top.

Early levels are particularly easy and most can be 100% completed on a first attempt. The difficulty does get ramped up towards the end but it takes a long time in coming. The games longevity relies less on replayability and more on the sheer amount of worlds and levels it has. On three occasions I thought I was on the last world only to find there was more. At the time of writing this I have clocked well over 20 hours of play time and still have a few more stamps and green stars to collect.

So yes it's a bit easy, at no point did I find my heart beating faster. But I still enjoyed every second of it. It's one of those games that when your not playing it your thinking about playing it. It's a game full of charm and subtle comic moments. Mario camps it up beautifully by meowing while mincing around in an adorable yellow cat onesie. The graphics look great in HD and the fantastic soundtrack combine to make a great overall package.
  35. Nov 22, 2013
    It's launch day, so I may be rushing to judgement here, but up through the first half of the game this has to be one of the best platformers ever made. The 4-player co-op is even better than in New Super Mario Bros. because there is more space for a casual player to keep safe while the experienced gamers lead the way. As is typical for a Mario game, the levels start off very easy but rampIt's launch day, so I may be rushing to judgement here, but up through the first half of the game this has to be one of the best platformers ever made. The 4-player co-op is even better than in New Super Mario Bros. because there is more space for a casual player to keep safe while the experienced gamers lead the way. As is typical for a Mario game, the levels start off very easy but ramp up in difficulty as it progresses. The level variety and design is just the best in the industry. The double cherry power ups alone are a brilliant and well-executed idea worthy of a whole game: in some levels you can control a huge amount of clones by collecting cherries. It works amazingly well and controlling all of the clones at once is actually manageable and intuitive. If you're all about the gameplay and don't care about realistic graphics or storyline, there isn't any better game on the market. I'm saying this as someone who owns an Xbox and Playstation, too. I have plenty of games to play right now, but there's nothing I'd rather play over this. Expand
  36. Jan 6, 2014
    this game is a perfect 10/10 nice graphics great gameplay the 3D elements add a nice touch the cat-mario and other new suits add some more fun to an already amazing franchise many consider it to be the best mario since mario 64 i totally agree definitely a must own for the wii u id recommend a wii u for this game alone
  37. Feb 28, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World is phenomenal, and worthy to stand amongst some of 2013's best.

First of all, I think we need to all get one thing straight… This IS NOT, the greatest Mario game of all time. It think people are getting a little too ahead of themselves when they put that title on the game. However, is it the greatest Multiplayer Mario experience of all time? Absolutely. If you've

If you've played Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS, you've played this game, and that is in no way a criticism. Both games play wonderfully.
    Aside from a few new abilities, notably the adorable cat suit, the games have a lot of the same features.

Something that struck me right from the get go, was that this game should be an example to why Wii U is great. Why Nintendo don't need the most powerful hardware on the market. They have some of the best designers in the world, and their artistic direction is so phenomenal that it puts so called "triple A" games to shame.

If you want to best couch co-op experience of 2013 and most likely 2014, look no further.

A 9 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  38. Jan 14, 2014
    Nintendo never fails when the things is their main titles. Super Mario 3D World is not exception. The game is very good, the graphics are amazing and very well detailed, it really shows what the Wii U is capable of. Galaxy 2 had amazing graphics, but 3D World is better in every way possible. Super Mario 3D World's main gimmick is the "3D exploration but with a 2D feeling", like it'sNintendo never fails when the things is their main titles. Super Mario 3D World is not exception. The game is very good, the graphics are amazing and very well detailed, it really shows what the Wii U is capable of. Galaxy 2 had amazing graphics, but 3D World is better in every way possible. Super Mario 3D World's main gimmick is the "3D exploration but with a 2D feeling", like it's precessor Super Mario 3D Land. 3D World feels like a classic game, but with a modern touch. There is 4 playable characters to choose from. Each one of them have their own skills and you really fell that when you play the game, each character feels different when you play. Nintendo once again challenge players with level exploration in order to find secrets and stamps. The game rewards you for exploration and that is a very good thing is games. The levels feels gimmicky all the time, each level has something unique to see and do. Power-ups works pretty nice and the new Cat Bell, while it sounds weird, still a lot of fun to use. Bosses, however, are kinda a disappointment, they suffer from the "find the weak point, hit it 3 times" cliche and most of the time, it isn't fun, it is just boring. But still, the game is a lot of fun and finding all the stamps isn't an easy task and you keep coming back for more. Let's just hope that Nintendo continues with this formula to the next titles. Expand
  39. May 25, 2014
    This game is a MASTERPIECE is doesn't step a foot wrong. Where do i start? Gameplay is truly innovative and improves upon 3D Land on the 3DS. Graphics are amazing and the story is actually different! LOL. The cat suit is cool and the is just so much content and new ideas. Each level is unique and sometimes there are minigames in the levels. Super Mario World is just pure FUN!!
  40. Jun 5, 2014
    One of the most fun games you can play with three other people of any age. It's a great teamwork game, and not everyone has to be at the same level of playing skill to have a great time. There are some really creative worlds, it's a blast.
  41. Feb 8, 2015
    I wrote this game off as "another Mario game". An HD version of 3D land. A cat-themed gimmick.

I was dead wrong. I got it bundled with my wii U, and what I got was magical. This game is something special, it really is. Never before has Mario felt so fresh, so new, so challenging, so beautiful (maybe in galaxy), so... Jazzy. It's snappy, it's clear, it's a blast with friends or by yourself. It's hard, really hard sometimes but never unfair. You'll learn to love the later challenges, and it starts so easy you won't ever be mad.

It's gorgeous, it makes you ooh and ah more than anything on your PS3 or even PS4. Don't write off the Wii U as a console, this machine as I discovered is a real powerhouse when it wants to be. Plus the memory is expandable with whatever you like instead of having to buy right from sony or anything, so you can just plug it into your PC hard drive or anything and be set to go.

This game will make you fall in love with Mario. It'll make you hum its tune at the bus stop, bring you and your friends together. It's a downright magical experience that reminds us all exactly why Mario is so very important to us all.
  42. Dec 3, 2013
    The Wii should have never existed and the Wii U should have came out first. This game was long over due. I haven't played a Mario game that I have enjoyed since Mario Sunshine. This game is a brand new way to play Mario. All the New Super Mario games are all old school played. Each level on SM3DW brings new and innovating experiences. I enjoyed each an every stage. There are peopleThe Wii should have never existed and the Wii U should have came out first. This game was long over due. I haven't played a Mario game that I have enjoyed since Mario Sunshine. This game is a brand new way to play Mario. All the New Super Mario games are all old school played. Each level on SM3DW brings new and innovating experiences. I enjoyed each an every stage. There are people out there doesn't like the small things that a Mario game brings, but it's not enough to throw this game out your holiday list. if you have a Wii U, this is a must have game!

Instagram: Game_Row
  43. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is pure fun when it comes to games. If you own a wii u or know a friend who does then you better give this one a buy/checkout. The Mario franchise is one that constantly brings fun to the table for everyone of all ages, and they continue to bring something new to the table to keep you on your feet unlike other franchises out there that are just rehashes of the game before itThis game is pure fun when it comes to games. If you own a wii u or know a friend who does then you better give this one a buy/checkout. The Mario franchise is one that constantly brings fun to the table for everyone of all ages, and they continue to bring something new to the table to keep you on your feet unlike other franchises out there that are just rehashes of the game before it with just a polish of hd/better graphics.... *cough cough* CALL OF DUTY!!!

Need I say more to you fellow metacritics and stumbleons of this site?
    Multiplayer on this has never been so fun. I haven't had this much fun playing with friends since horde mode on Gears of war 3. Also the multiplayer flows perfectly and is less chaotic than super mario bros U.

With all the new console releases Nintendo has been left in the dust because other consoles bragging about graphics, TV, internet, fantasy football and of course the arguing over who is the real system for gamers.

Xbox one upset many people with its policies that were similair to steam, but in result changed their minds to keep the hate off, but still has a high price to own one, while 4% of owners of this new console are having difficulties reading games on their drives even after the "day one" update.

Playstation 4 took the crowds by their honeyed words while talking bad about Xbox the whole time like a jealous friend who saw the chance to steal the thunder. "hey you know that one thing xbone does that you hate? well we do the opposite!!!, yeah don't forget that... i mean yeah they got cool looking games but we're truly for gamers". And right now ps4 is also have some HDMI display problems out of a small percentage of those who bought it. Not to mention I would say PS4 is being an "Indian giver" about its policies at the moment just check it out.....

Anyways, sorry to go on about that, I know we've seen too much of these guys go at it for a while.
    Nintendo right now is the underdog in these consoles that has more hate than praise and you know I don't know why.

PS4 and Xbone this generation truly aren't about the gamers they are about the Graphics.
    If you give wii u a chance and don't let the badgers get to you then you will see that this system was truly made for gamers.

On to Mario! Like I said this game is fun to play solo and co op with a less chaotic feature. The game looks beautiful and crisp in its Hd nature and textures are smooth. Powerups in this game will have you wanting more of the game. Nostalgia yes!! and for beginners who have never played mario will fall in love.

The game also features some beginner friendly options for those who need it, so this game is perfect for everyone!!!

The only thing this game needs is the ability to invite your online friends in an open world to play with.

If you want a new console and feel like $399 and $499 are way too much on top of games then I will say go for the wii u because the price dropped to $299, the graphics are great, the games are superior, not to mention 3rd party launches look great like AC4, ZombiU and many more....... JUST GET A WII U!!!

Play this game!!! you will not regret it!! I know for the hardcore fans this isn't Mario Galaxy but as far as a mario game goes it deserves a 10!! I'm positive they'll make a new mario galaxy game in the future because you know what Nintendo actually listens to their consumers.

If Nintendo was a meme it would be "good guy greg". Great games, free online and much much more!!!
    Give nintendo some support and ignore the haters. NINTENDO'S GETTIN BACK TO ITS ROOTS BABY!!!
  44. PMG
    Jan 12, 2014
    This game... Blew my expectations! With four players, this game becomes the god of COOP Mario games, there are so many power ups and most of all, it is just so fun! It is easy in places, but it is a charming and color full experience among the best Mario games ever made!
  45. Dec 31, 2013
    This game is one of the best Mario games I have played. It is totally worth buying because all the levels are really good fun and there is lots of new things added to the game. I really like the cat suit because you can run up walls, you can do dive attacks and use your claws to attack. It is really good that they added Pellise back into the game. You can also play as Princess Peach andThis game is one of the best Mario games I have played. It is totally worth buying because all the levels are really good fun and there is lots of new things added to the game. I really like the cat suit because you can run up walls, you can do dive attacks and use your claws to attack. It is really good that they added Pellise back into the game. You can also play as Princess Peach and she can her hover from a short distance. Mario is still the most skilful, Luigi can jump up high and Toad can run fast.

It doesn't have coin rush and time limit races or little mini-games but it was still heaps of fun to play.
  46. Feb 21, 2014
    perfection in a 3d mario game. this is a real piece of art, the game stands on its own as one of the very best mario games ever released. an absolutly huge amount of levels and content, collectibles and hidden secrets make this game a real joy to play, and then play through again. if you own a wii-u then you have to have this game.
  47. Nov 22, 2013
    Nintendo done again

Super Mario 3D world, is absolute amazing this game is fantastic in all possible aspects

If you love games you need to buy a WiiU and play this game
  48. Nov 23, 2013
    Nintendo ace Super Mario 3D World is the best AAA title would never quit playing this. a complete family entertainment that just brings more joy Nintendo is the king of gaming indeed. i'm a ps3 owner the reason for wii u is this particular game. bring on more super Mario :D would had given more than 10 if possible
  49. Apr 18, 2014
    Not a bad game, but to me slightly disappointing considering all the praise it got. I was expecting something like Super Mario Galaxy or Sunshine, but it's really just New Super Mario bros on a 3D plane with enhanced graphics. I've never expected much 'story' from a Mario game but 3D world's plot was pretty pathetic. The game made poor and limited use of the gamepad, it was too easy, oneNot a bad game, but to me slightly disappointing considering all the praise it got. I was expecting something like Super Mario Galaxy or Sunshine, but it's really just New Super Mario bros on a 3D plane with enhanced graphics. I've never expected much 'story' from a Mario game but 3D world's plot was pretty pathetic. The game made poor and limited use of the gamepad, it was too easy, one can breeze through the game in 4-5 hours, plus another 2-3 hours to go back and get all the stars/stamps. On the other hand, there are some memorable little tunes and fun levels. The cat transformation, while strange, was perfect for some levels and bosses. A decent game overall, but not something I would call the best the Wii U has to offer. Expand
  50. Jun 19, 2014
    It's not groundbreaking, but it didn't have to be. SM3DW is my favorite Mario game so far and is one of the best titles on Wii U. This game is the epitome of Nintendo's innovation and creativity. It's full of fresh ideas and ingenious level design. You won't be disappointed
  51. Oct 27, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World offers a very good experience for those fans who prefer the 2D Mario series and those ones who prefer the 3D. Charming look, flawless controls, nice challenge and a nostalgic adventure is the stuff that awaits you in this game,
  52. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game for the Wii U! The best thing about it is that Rosalina is a playable character! It also easy to unlock her! The game is a great 3D platforming game, and it also mixes in some 2D parts. Great game. Expand
  53. Oct 19, 2014
    Wow, words cannot describe how amazing this game turned out! I have played many Mario games, from the original game from the 70s to this. This one has to be the 2nd best (1st is the original).
  54. Nov 22, 2013
    The best game for Wii U so far since it's launch. Super Mario 3D World not only entertained me, but amazed me, with it's creativity of new levels, new power-ups, and even Miiverse functions. Although the first few worlds were a piece of cake, the last few and special worlds will be a challenge to Mario veterans out there. The new power-ups are addicting to use, The Cat Suit is veryThe best game for Wii U so far since it's launch. Super Mario 3D World not only entertained me, but amazed me, with it's creativity of new levels, new power-ups, and even Miiverse functions. Although the first few worlds were a piece of cake, the last few and special worlds will be a challenge to Mario veterans out there. The new power-ups are addicting to use, The Cat Suit is very entertaining and hilarious to use, and the Double Cherry is a very popular item in my opinion and I love it when the number of me adds up. Overall, this is one of the best Mario games I've played for a long time, with it's creativity, well done level design, tributes to other games (ex Super Mario Bros. 2), Peach is PLAYABLE, and more. This surely should help boost the Wii U sales, and definitely is the thing I will be playing all month instead of the Xbox One. Expand
  55. Dec 25, 2014
    A very underated game. It has a great art style and theme to it. Levels are quick, but offers an enormous replayability to them. The content offered in the game is so diverse and amazing. Best mario game flr the wii u so far!
  56. Aug 22, 2014
    O.M.G i love this game it's not just my favourite mario game it's my favourite game of all time the music, the graphics the level design are all fantastic the story is meh i love the cat suit, double cherry, multiplayer, special worlds ecepet fire flower, characters are perfect bosses are perfect and is THE best sounding mario game EVER!
  57. Jan 30, 2014
    Very disappointing. You can only move in 8 directions, it feels like a massive step back.

I can imagine most Nintendo fans want a super Mario 64 or super Mario sunshine type game, not this HD 3DS title.

The magic of roaming around and exploring a landscape had disappeared into little vignettes of uninspiring micro lands.
  58. Nov 23, 2013
    Got this game yesterday, LOVE IT!!! The last time I bought a mario game was super mario galaxy,and this game just brought me back to the series. The graphics and visuals in this is absolutely gorgeous, everything looks great in HD!! The gameplay, if you love super mario for the 3ds and new super mario wii u then you will love this game!! Almost identical gameplay but with a few niceGot this game yesterday, LOVE IT!!! The last time I bought a mario game was super mario galaxy,and this game just brought me back to the series. The graphics and visuals in this is absolutely gorgeous, everything looks great in HD!! The gameplay, if you love super mario for the 3ds and new super mario wii u then you will love this game!! Almost identical gameplay but with a few nice touches that makes this game wonderful. Can't wait to invite my friends over to play this game tomorrow, if your a mario fan, GET THIS GAME!!! Expand
  59. Feb 12, 2014
    Not as epic as say, Super Mario Galaxy, but still just as a charming, beautiful, cleverly crafted game. The stages in this game are short, but all of them have 3 green stars, one stamp, and you have to get to the top of the flag at the end of each level to 100% the game, which almost doubles the length of gameplay, and makes it much harder. And it's a ton of fun to play with friends, orNot as epic as say, Super Mario Galaxy, but still just as a charming, beautiful, cleverly crafted game. The stages in this game are short, but all of them have 3 green stars, one stamp, and you have to get to the top of the flag at the end of each level to 100% the game, which almost doubles the length of gameplay, and makes it much harder. And it's a ton of fun to play with friends, or race against ghosts of other players. Expand
  60. Nov 23, 2013
    Is this the greatest 3D mario game ever?
    It may not be. But still it's a perfect game, you can always trust a mario game.
    The one game that makes the Wii U a must-have console, and it's the first of many to come.
  61. Nov 30, 2013
    i think the game runs on to many safe cards. the formula is the same as every mario game. but its a fun game. but i feel that i already played this. its not like mario galaxy, or mario 64. more like family feeling over it. you play it and have som fun.
  62. Feb 13, 2014
    Well this game sure has a lot worlds and some of the hardest stages its a good game but the only thing that bothers me its a Mario game and I didn't expect too much of it. But overall its a good game.
  63. Jan 26, 2014
    This is a solid Mario platformer who, for the most part, is very entertaining and fun. There are, in my opinion, some noticeable downsides however.

At times the camera feels a bit unnatural for what is supposed to be a 3d game, so there were quite a few instances where I fell off certain objects and areas and died. This can at times be so frustrating that it interferes with the fun you're supposed to have.
    It would maybe have been a title better suited for the 3ds, so you could turn on the 3d-effect, and that way it would be much easier to see where you land after a jump in hectic environments.

Another thing is the timer, it just kills the joy of exploring and isn't very suited for a 3d-Mario game. That way you'll have to rush through the levels and won't have the time to sink in the oftentimes beautiful environments.
    There's just something about this game that makes me miss that 3d-Mario magic, especially from Mario Galaxy. I believe the 3ds title, Mario 3d Land was a better effort than this game, as it felt perfectly suited for the hardware it was released for.

But for the most part I had very much fun playing this game, and there are some memorable levels that comes to mind and makes me smile when I think of them. So if you're a Mario fan, or just like platformers in general, I'm pretty sure you'll find much enjoyment in this game, but don't expect it to be as good as Mario Galaxy.
  64. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoy this game. Great level design, the return of classic enemies, along with some new ones. The new power up was great, with very smooth and fun gameplay. AA grade.The multiplayer is more competitive than team based, and it isn't fun at all. Also, why is there no white tanooki suit to help you on the very last level in the special world. Expand
  65. Jul 31, 2014
    Best game on the Wii U. As challenging and addictive as the Mario games before. This is actually my favourite release since Mario 64. Enjoyed collecting all the stars.
  66. Nov 22, 2014
    Better than 3D Land, and 3D Land was good. It has more levels than 3D Land, 4 players, more inspired than 3D Land, more power-ups and better ones- yeah. I also 100% this game, it is that good. Well, I did not beat every level with every character. Not the hardest plat former (besides World Crown) but a memorable game with excellent music and multiplayer. There's only so many times you canBetter than 3D Land, and 3D Land was good. It has more levels than 3D Land, 4 players, more inspired than 3D Land, more power-ups and better ones- yeah. I also 100% this game, it is that good. Well, I did not beat every level with every character. Not the hardest plat former (besides World Crown) but a memorable game with excellent music and multiplayer. There's only so many times you can see Boom Boom though before he gets old. Expand
  67. Jan 7, 2015
    I will come clean - I adore Mario. To me, Mario is videogames. No other character embodies the essence of gaming more. So any half-decent Mario game always has a good chance of being one of my favourite games of any given year. But with Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo EAD went above and beyond and constructed something which overlaps perfectly my template for a sensational videogame. ItI will come clean - I adore Mario. To me, Mario is videogames. No other character embodies the essence of gaming more. So any half-decent Mario game always has a good chance of being one of my favourite games of any given year. But with Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo EAD went above and beyond and constructed something which overlaps perfectly my template for a sensational videogame. It hooked me from start to excruciating, five-and-a-half hours' worth of solid attempts final-level finish.

Let me take you back in time, to 1997. The move from the 16-bit era to the 32/64-bit one was the biggest shift gaming has known. It was the dawn of 3D games. At that time, the new kid on the block, the Sony PlayStation, was surprisingly trouncing SEGA's Saturn sales-wise, but the one we'd all been waiting for, Nintendo's new N64, was on the horizon. And, more excitingly than the console itself, its flagship title, Super Mario 64. I personally don't recall anticipating any one individual game more. The screenshots I pored over, the magazines I bought just to get a little bit more information on this brave new world, just envisaging how it would feel to play it. It was a combination of being at the perfect age and the mindblowing prospect of what was to come - a Mario game in 3D. I could scarcely imagine what wonders it could bring.

After what seemed like forever, the day arrived and I finally got to play it. And at first, I was somehow disappointed. This wasn't Mario as I knew him. This wasn't really a platformer. For all the awe of being able to command Mario's myriad of new techniques and explore Peach's castle in three dimensions, something had been lost. It was that tightness of control that only games played in a 2D plane can bring. In time I grew to love Mario 64 for what it is, this subtly different new genre of "3D platformer", a little less reflexes-based, a little more cerebral. It's still the finest example of that type of game even now, approaching 20 years later, and without question the most influential game of all time.

Super Mario 3D World is what my naive 14-year-old self from 1997 was expecting Super Mario 64 to be. This is a real platformer. The thrill of precision control, the focus of linear progression, the simple goal of discovery and collection, it's all here. The game features 8-way as opposed to true 360 degree control, which cuts down on the forced uncertainty of playing a game in a 3D world on a 2D TV screen. The title is so incredibly apt, at heart it really is Super Mario World in 3D, but in practice it's so much more. Some small part of me that's always remained troubled by what path the history of gaming took can now eventually be laid to rest.

The game contains a plethora of new ideas. The cat suit, the double cherry, the cannon block, the skating shoe, giant Mario, the pet piranha plant for gobbling baddies, the Boo-disintegrating torches, the multiplayer, the mystery houses, the Captain Toad levels, the 2D shadow sections, the stamps, the Miiverse integration, the Mario Kart level, the inventive bosses, controlling platforms by blowing into the gamepad's microphone, and Plessie the aquatic dinosaur, to name but a few. All of these have meaning, and are not just there for show. For example, with the double cherry (which creates duplicate Marios), Nintendo didn't feel that the enjoyment gleaned from controlling four or five Marios at the same time was enough, they actively work it into the level design - usually if you can survive a good distance with enough of the clones still intact you will be able to open up sections of the course unavailable to a lonely Mario. It's this marriage of invention and design which makes 3D World a cut above.

In the recent past, certain Mario titles have been guilty of trying to recreate the early games in a modern setup, but that was missing the spirit of Mario. The original NES and SNES games were so good because they brought something new to the table each time. They had to - they had very little to fall back on. This is Mario in 2013, and he's never felt more fresh. Where most games of this kind would be content to milk a new gameplay gimmick to death and base a whole game around it, 3D World bases a level or two around each one and then, when its purpose has been served, it discards it, ready to move onto the next new and exciting thing. Creative, compact, concentrated, and the most confident game I've ever played.

Super Mario 3D World is a real statement by Nintendo about the strength of their software teams. When they're at the height of their powers, nobody else comes close. Of all the landmark titles Mario has delivered throughout his history, this stands tall right up there near the peak. It compares more favourably with Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World than any game I ever imagined would get close to doing. It captured my heart in a way the Galaxy twins never managed. Make no mistake, this is one of the very best there has ever been.
  68. Dec 31, 2013
    Perfect in ways unlike the Galaxy series, 3D World is my game of the year. I went in quite skeptical but came away very pleased. The sheer amount of new game play mechanics is outstanding. Not to mention having a great soundtrack.
  69. Mar 30, 2014
    A sequel to Super Mario 3D Land, with a mixture of Super Mario Bros. 2, & elements taken from Super Mario Galaxy. Easily one of the best & most fun games I've ever played. I've definitely been proven wrong of how I thought this game could've been, but it's amazing. Wii U owners would be a fool to not buy this game.
  70. Dec 24, 2013
    Hand's down the biggest reason to buy a WII U this year is for Super Mario 3D World.

It's one of the first games I've played in awhile that has me coming back to more. It's simplistic style which focuses on unique level design and creative concepts is what pushes this games light year of ahead of others. This maybe the best Mario game to date, even bypassing Galaxies. Not one

This maybe the best Mario game to date, even bypassing Galaxies.

Not one concept gets over used, and with over what appears to be 80-100 levels, there's a lot of content.

The game offers a great multiplayer experience with the urge to want to 100% this game. Posting with stamps on Mii verse is a great touch, and seeing other players "ghosts" as you play a level is much deserved.

The only downfall is it lacks some online features. The game would work perfectly if you could connect to other games. Also it could use online challenges see games like Raymen Legends )

It's clear that gameplay and level design with where all the time and money went into and it will be notice for years to come.

71. Nov 23, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World. A game that originally started out as looking bland and boring, is now a game being considered better then Galaxy. With immersive orchestrated music, rich level design and now in HD, the game not only looks amazing, but sounds and feels amazing as well. Now with 4 player co-op, you can also enjoy it with your friends. Despite this game being a some what sequel to 3DSuper Mario 3D World. A game that originally started out as looking bland and boring, is now a game being considered better then Galaxy. With immersive orchestrated music, rich level design and now in HD, the game not only looks amazing, but sounds and feels amazing as well. Now with 4 player co-op, you can also enjoy it with your friends. Despite this game being a some what sequel to 3D Land, the game feels almost fresh and new. It basically is! 10/10. Expand
  72. Dec 3, 2013
    Absolutely stunning game! Bright, lively, and vibrant environments, great level design, new, creative, and original worlds, and perhaps the single greatest power up in Mario history- The Super Bell, all add up to a great game. The four player mode is also a blast, and it is great to chose form the four different characters. I've been waiting for this since Super Mario Bros 2! All in all,Absolutely stunning game! Bright, lively, and vibrant environments, great level design, new, creative, and original worlds, and perhaps the single greatest power up in Mario history- The Super Bell, all add up to a great game. The four player mode is also a blast, and it is great to chose form the four different characters. I've been waiting for this since Super Mario Bros 2! All in all, great game! Expand
  73. Apr 28, 2014
    This game was beautiful and so much fun to play with friends and family. I know it's a kids game but it's ridiculously easy. The boss battles were very short and wasn't impressive. I was very satisfied playing it. This game is definitely a must buy. I bought the Wii-U for this! Was worth it.
  74. Apr 11, 2014
    Super Mario Bros. 2 + Super Mario 64 = Great game. Congratulations, Nintendo, you've done it again. Keep up. There are some more great Wii U games to come.
  75. May 20, 2014
    Recent Mario games favor to stay at a safe zone. Each one does little to change the formula and unfortunately tend to blend together. 3D World is at a comfortable middle. It does enough to feel like its own game, with its unique level designs, excellent pacing, and surprisingly addictive multiplayer. But 3D World doesn’t feel as innovative as Super Mario Galaxy felt before it. All in all,Recent Mario games favor to stay at a safe zone. Each one does little to change the formula and unfortunately tend to blend together. 3D World is at a comfortable middle. It does enough to feel like its own game, with its unique level designs, excellent pacing, and surprisingly addictive multiplayer. But 3D World doesn’t feel as innovative as Super Mario Galaxy felt before it. All in all, 3D World is a fantastic addition with enough personality to be its own game.

Bowser is at it once again but this time instead of taking the princess, he has kidnapped several fairies and locked them away inside bottles. The team makes hot pursuit and follows Bowser into the fairy’s kingdom. After years of playing the damsel in distress, Princess Peach finally joins the cast once again for the first time since Super Mario Bros 2.

This time around the player gets to choose from four characters to play as; Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad.
    Each character has their own unique abilities and flaws similarly to Super Mario Bros 2. Mario is the most balanced character as he is the most agile, Luigi has the highest jump, Peach is the slowest and can float during a jump, and Toad is the fastest. Players can reselect a new character before any level making quick changes in play styles simple. Most levels don’t call for a specific character so playing the game in its entirety as your favorite character is welcome. This refreshing tweak in the formula is an excellent change as it gives players variety as well as a chance to play as their favorite character.

While 3D World is a blast to play in single-player, the fun multiples in co-op. The unique and colorful 3D worlds with New Super Mario Bros.’ chaotic four player co-op action is an excellent blend. Everyone can work together or create chaos, sabotaging each other’s game. Tossing friends off cliffs, stealing every power-up, and doing whatever it takes to get the highest on the flagpole always keeps every teammate active. Each player has their own score tallied against each other at the end of each level and the player with the highest wins a wearable crown. This subtle system keeps players looking out to being number one and getting the crown when everyone is supposed to be working together.

The classic power-ups including the Fire Flower, Star, and Boomerang Flower make a return as well as joined by a few new power-ups. The main new power-up this time around is the Cat Suit, a power-up that transforms the character into a cat. With the suit, the character struts around on all fours and gains new abilities including a scratch attack as well as a dive bomb move adding new offensive options. The cat suit also allows Mario and the gang to scale walls, helping them escape enemies and find new hidden passages. The new power-up also allows the user to climb to the top of the flagpole from any angle. The cat suit is a useful and fun new addition to the line-up of powers.

The other new power-up is the Double Cherry. With this power-up, a player duplicates their character and adds another duplicate with each new cherry pick-up. While it is a neat mechanic, as you control multiple clones of your character, it isn’t as useful as a full time power-up. If one clone strays too far away or gets hit you lose a clone, so the fun with clones ends quicker than it began.

Green Stars and Stamps replace Star Coins as the collectibles in this game. As the Star Coins before, there are three Green Stars in each level as well as one Stamp. A few levels can only be opened by having a certain number of Green Stars so returning to past levels and clearing them completely is both rewarding and satisfying. Bonus stages also appear after the credits, encouraging many to return and gather up Green Stars. You can even unlock a recognizable bonus character.

My only issue is the game’s camera. Players familiar with Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS will recognize the same camera. There are times where the focused camera can feel a bit annoying even confusing. One accidental leap of faith can lead to uncertain death until the “too bad” chime plays. There were a few insists during my play through where my character would do the cat diving move far off camera and dive off into an unseen death pit. It takes a bit of getting used to, especially during chaotic four-player sessions. Another small issue I had is that the game features no controller options so player can’t remap their buttons. With the multiple controller options, including the Wii U Pro Controller as well as Wiimote and Nunchuk, it’s a surprise this feature wasn’t included.

Super Mario 3D World doesn’t reinvent the Mario formula, but it is a refreshing new addition to the current Mario line-up. The game delivers with both an outstanding cast of characters and both nostalgic and unique level designs. This game has been one of the most fun experiences I had with a Mario game in a while. 3D World truly delivers challenge, fun, and surprise for all to enjoy.
  76. Jan 19, 2015
    One of the best Mario games of all time. The gameplay is incredible and the graphics are one of the best in the console. The multiplayer is really fun and the last battle with Bowser is just amazing!
  77. Aug 16, 2014
    This definitely is the single best 3d Mario game, and maybe even the best in the whole franchise. For the first time, 4 player co-op is possible in a 3d Mario game, but fortunately isn't as chaotic as in the NSMB series. The levels are very creative, the power-ups are all really cool (especially the new ones), and the final bowser boss is the most epic boss of the entire series. My onlyThis definitely is the single best 3d Mario game, and maybe even the best in the whole franchise. For the first time, 4 player co-op is possible in a 3d Mario game, but fortunately isn't as chaotic as in the NSMB series. The levels are very creative, the power-ups are all really cool (especially the new ones), and the final bowser boss is the most epic boss of the entire series. My only problems with this game is that it was too easy, and the gamepad wasn't used very well, but this is still a stellar must buy for any and all Wii u owners. Expand
  78. Feb 28, 2014
    When SM3DW was first showed I was very skeptical about it. But in the end, the game didn't disappoint me at all. This game is gorgeous from start to end! Everything in the game is really polished, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, everything! The level design is pretty good and the challenge keeps growing the more you advance to the insane final level. While It was a letdown that someWhen SM3DW was first showed I was very skeptical about it. But in the end, the game didn't disappoint me at all. This game is gorgeous from start to end! Everything in the game is really polished, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, everything! The level design is pretty good and the challenge keeps growing the more you advance to the insane final level. While It was a letdown that some bosses were easy and repetitive, there were other awesome and memorable battles (Giant Snake King FTW). This is definitely one game that will be remembered in the years to come.

On a side note, if you has some pals to play this game multiplayer, you will have a BLAST. Playing this game multiplayer is incredibly fun!
  79. Dec 14, 2013
    Gameplay gets pretty boring after the first 3 worlds. You get the cat suit in the first level and after that there is pretty much nothing new. Id be fine with same old in HD if it would copy the things the forums and fans have been asking for. You hear people ask for a "open world" type of game with lots of secrets and collecting. They give us a "semi 3d" game which seems to just add aGameplay gets pretty boring after the first 3 worlds. You get the cat suit in the first level and after that there is pretty much nothing new. Id be fine with same old in HD if it would copy the things the forums and fans have been asking for. You hear people ask for a "open world" type of game with lots of secrets and collecting. They give us a "semi 3d" game which seems to just add a could of inches in depth to the recent 2d releases.

Oh and the run button, with the speed increasing in bursts probably the worst idea ive seen in a while. It solved an non existing problem.

On the positive side, nintendo did pretty well considdering the hardware they used. Some levels looked pretty damn good. I cant help but think that a "true 3d" game would have been hard to make, they would probably have to lower the resolution on a lot of textures. Maybe this was the best the console could pull off, and if thats the case, i guess they did the best they could.

Last but not least, enough with the damn gamepad. The community has said what it thinks about it. Let me turn it off and go on with my pro controller. Thatd probably free a bit of processing power too, which could improve the visuals for future games.
  80. Dec 22, 2013
    mario, you never disappoint. i thought that this was gonna be super mario 3d land HD, but BOY I WS WRONG. this game is awesome. the multiplayer is crazy! the levels are different and have a gimmick that WORKS! i just love this game. if you like mario and you have a wii u, then GET THIS GAME!
  81. Jan 4, 2015
    This has quickly become my most favorite Mario game to date. The characters, the worlds, the challenges- it's all tied together in a moustached bow.

Normally I buy a Nintendo system for Smash Bros., but this was the first time since the Nintendo 64 I picked up a console because of a Mario game. I don't like the Catsuit, however, which is odd, because I'm a cat person. I felt, as a

I don't like the Catsuit, however, which is odd, because I'm a cat person. I felt, as a superpower, it was "meh". But that still doesn't stop this game from kicking some serious platform azz!
  82. Nov 17, 2014
    One of THE best platformers I've ever played and one of the best mario games I've ever played. As someone who's recently 100% the game I can say there is next to no problems in either singleplayer or local multiplayer. Even though I said there weren't many there still are problems and they mainly come from the camera. The whole gimmick of 3d world is it's a 3d game that plays on a 2dOne of THE best platformers I've ever played and one of the best mario games I've ever played. As someone who's recently 100% the game I can say there is next to no problems in either singleplayer or local multiplayer. Even though I said there weren't many there still are problems and they mainly come from the camera. The whole gimmick of 3d world is it's a 3d game that plays on a 2d camera, imagine super mario galaxy only on a fixed camera point that scrolls. on easier levels it isn't an issue and if it is you can subtly tilt the camera in any direction you want. But on the harder stages you'll constantly be dying due to depth perception issues because of the camera and in multiplayer the damn thing can stay still and will constantly skew and hover over a specific player causing unwanted deaths or abrupt idle bubble time. Still this is very fun and even if you aren't interested in the frustration that is champion's road then the base game offer atleast 8 hours of fun with gorgeous graphics, a consistent framerate and great controls. Expand
  83. Aug 21, 2014
    This game is really good. Music is great. It plays like Mario 3D land, but better. Is a good to play with friends and family. but is competitive play could be turn off. Overall I say get it.
  84. May 24, 2014
    Ok I just got this game and trout this would just suck because of the boring e3 trailer but I had a little punch of curiosity so I played it and WOW buy this game it's worth it Nintendo you've done it again. the graphics the music the design I give this a big ten
  85. Feb 16, 2014
    This game is pure platforming fun.It boasts next gen graphics with game-play so polished you it would not look out of place in a castle made of diamonds. If there is only one game that makes you want to buy a Wii U this should be it. Play alone or with friends and you a guaranteed to have grin on your face as you try and master each beautifully crafted level.
  86. May 12, 2014
    My opinion in short:
    - great multiplayer fun
    - fun new ideas
    - awesome graphics
    - replayability because of stamps and stars
    - stamps for Miiverse
    - new items are awesome!
    - soundtrack is superb
    - the different characters are not soooo different from each other in my opinion
    - playtime feels a little short though
    - buy it if you like jnr's or mario!
  87. Jan 10, 2014
    BEST MARIO GAME to come out over the last 10 years! The family had a great time at Christmas playing 4 player mode and all skill levels of gamers had a blast and worked together. Not often can a game bring the whole family together to have a good laugh - thanks Nintendo!
  88. Jan 27, 2014
    The game's graphics are amazing; surpassing New Super Mario Bros. U in terms of visuals. Regarding gameplay, it's fun and the characters may take some getting used to at first, since each has their own attributes. The difficulty starts off gradual, fairly easy, but as you progress you'll find the game getting tougher with each world you visit. It takes quite a lot to truly beat this gameThe game's graphics are amazing; surpassing New Super Mario Bros. U in terms of visuals. Regarding gameplay, it's fun and the characters may take some getting used to at first, since each has their own attributes. The difficulty starts off gradual, fairly easy, but as you progress you'll find the game getting tougher with each world you visit. It takes quite a lot to truly beat this game 100% and get all 5 stars on your save file, and honestly, the only pay-off is bragging rights. However, the bright extraordinarily-detailed visuals, vast new locations, and great new gameplay mechanics are enough to want to come back for more. Expand
  89. Feb 27, 2014
    The home console sequel to the best-selling 3DS game proves Nintendo can always make the next SUPER MARIO game more super than the last one. With 6 characters (Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Rosalina & Captain Toad), an amazing multi-player, and about 19 wonderful power-ups, Mario has never looked better than ever. The dev team thought of everything with the level designs right down to theThe home console sequel to the best-selling 3DS game proves Nintendo can always make the next SUPER MARIO game more super than the last one. With 6 characters (Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Rosalina & Captain Toad), an amazing multi-player, and about 19 wonderful power-ups, Mario has never looked better than ever. The dev team thought of everything with the level designs right down to the flowers in the grasslands. The sharp visuals shows that HD graphics has finally been perfected and makes all other consoles' visuals look like there were a lot to be desired. And Kenny James and Charles Martinet have made Bowser Koopa & the Mario Bros. sound so awesome, right down to Bowser's defeat scream. SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD is a must have for both the Wii U and for the eight generation of gaming, and it'll be awhile for another game to replace it as the Wii U and 8th generation's killer game. Expand
  90. Mar 30, 2014
    I really liked this game its like 2d mario with 3d mario, the graphics look incredible, its so incredibly colorful,its the kind of game that increases its difficulty the more you play it but the 4-player co-op can be very difficult to control i was with my friends and i wanted to do the 1-up trick but my brother messed up the trick the more i told him not to leave the screen besides allI really liked this game its like 2d mario with 3d mario, the graphics look incredible, its so incredibly colorful,its the kind of game that increases its difficulty the more you play it but the 4-player co-op can be very difficult to control i was with my friends and i wanted to do the 1-up trick but my brother messed up the trick the more i told him not to leave the screen besides all that there are a lot of secrets difficult levels and my god the game is incredible Expand
  91. Feb 17, 2015
    This game is one of the best platforming/adventure games I've played in a long time and the most shocking thing of all is it's 3D!

I will keep try to this review short and just say that it's great. For the first time since SMB2 you can play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, or Toad. There are gameplay elements from, and references to, just about every classic Super Mario game and even some of the modern ones. Many of the levels won't be very challenging to longtime Mario fans, that is until the last third of the game.

The controls are spot-on and the twitchy camera from Super Mario 64 is nowhere to be seen here. The game's music features renditions of classic SMB tunes and has a lively, instrumental feel. The graphics are polished and everything just looks.....great.

There are only two little flaws that keep this game from being a 10/10. Firstly, in multiplayer co-op mode it is a bit too easy to accidentally pick up another player if the other player is standing directly in front of you.....or bumps into you the wrong way. It's not a huge problem, but it's noticeable. Secondly, the boss battles that don't involve Bowser tend to be a bit on the easy/uninspired side.

Other than that..........s'great.

9.2/10
  92. Jul 15, 2014
    The natural evolution of the platformer. Super Mario 3D World is one of the defining games of this generation. Sure, it isn't "innovative" like the Galaxy games, but this is a good thing. Not needing to devote time to unique perspective shifts or motion control allowed for time spent honing control and level design to a fine art. Each playable character feels different enough to beThe natural evolution of the platformer. Super Mario 3D World is one of the defining games of this generation. Sure, it isn't "innovative" like the Galaxy games, but this is a good thing. Not needing to devote time to unique perspective shifts or motion control allowed for time spent honing control and level design to a fine art. Each playable character feels different enough to be distinct, and the art style and music give the game a fantastic vibrancy few games have today. An utter delight to play. Expand
  93. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is an achievement by Nintendo, it's that good. It has the most enjoyable co-op gameplay I've personally come across. The game has a certain charm, it has heart to it, and that's what makes this game good. The visuals, music, power ups, enemies, all contribute to the experience of Super Mario 3D World, and this is an experience that you do not want to miss.
  94. Sep 18, 2014
    I will begin by explaining that I have been playing Mario games for the past 25 years. I have played every title in the main series, so I am reviewing this game from the perspective of a Mario 'expert' if you like.

My relationship with Super Mario 3D World is a little odd. I will admit that on first seeing the game I wasn't really that excited. It looked very pretty in HD and everything, but everything looked a little sterile (especially when compared to the 2 Super Mario Galaxy games. Of course graphics do not make a game, so I thought I would reserve judgement until I finally got my hands on it.

My first few hours with it I kept thinking to myself that something just felt a bit off about it. It controlled perfectly, the enemy designs and animation were flawless, but it still felt strangely flat. I decided to replay some Super Mario Galaxy to see if I could figure out what was wrong. I instantly realized that in comparison Super Mario Galaxy just 'felt' more like a 3d Mario game...Mario 3d World didn't. Super Mario 3d World is like a classic 2d Mario game, but in the 3rd dimension. I think it is largely down to the level design. Most of the levels here do not really utilise the 3rd dimension to any great effect in their gameplay. They could just as easily be played with the camera locked horizontally with you moving from left to right, but also allowing your to move in and out of the screen. In fact there is a level set on a beach in this game that does just that.

It seems to me that this has been a design choice that Nintendo have been moving towards with their 3d Mario games for a while now. Super Mario Galaxy's levels were less like the open playgrounds of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. Then Super Mario Galaxy 2 had levels that were even less free roaming. Maybe it is a concerted effort of Nintendo's to unify the design of both 2d and 3d Mario games? I hope not. I really enjoy a good 2d Mario game, and some of the 2d games are among my favorite games of all time. But I really love having the variation between the 2d and 3d series.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a good game. I still enjoy playing it occasionally. And it packs in a real challenge towards the end (in fact I think this game represents the best difficulty balance compromise of any game I have ever played. Most players will be able to reach the ending with perseverance, but there are optional and hidden levels that even veterans will find a struggle. The graphics are still for the most part a bit sterile and plastic-like. I think Nintendo were still figuring out the whole HD thing here, and you can see clear experimentation of textures on some levels. Mario Kart 8 is an indication that the have finally sussed this issue out, and I hope that the next 3d Mario game will have a richer, more 'organic' look.,

I should mention the multiplayer, as it seems this was a big focus for Nintendo when making this game. It is fun, and me and my regular group of gaming friends will play together every now and then, but it hardly an essential multiplayer experience (it is usually discarded in favor of Mario Kart 8 or Nintendo land in our group).

So to summarize...this is a bit of a Mario by numbers. Still a really good game, but not up there with Super Mario 64, or the Mario Galaxy games.
  95. Nov 26, 2013
    Super Mario 3d World is a great game, especially when you have 4 players running around the boards. I have had nothing but a smile on my face while playing this great game. I couldn't say enough great things about this rendition of Mario, keeps it fresh and fun.
  96. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can I say about the Wii U’s brand new title: Super Mario 3D World? Well that’s easy. In short: Super Mario 3D World is amazing! And definitely the best Mario title we’ve seen since “Super Mario Galaxy 2”!

The new Mario title looks great on the Wii U and is the best looking Mario titles to date, especially in HD! The graphics have also slightly veered from the usual plastic look we always see. In some levels, the visuals were amazing to look at; one of my favorites was the ruins with the moss and patchy grass, which seemed to give it a more earthy organic feel on that level specifically. There are also others that present creativity and eye candy! There is such a massive variety in the levels that keep it interesting and creative without getting bored.

The music in Super Mario 3D World brings back that sort of depth that it did in the Super Mario Galaxy games, but with more diversity. In the Mario Galaxy series the music made you feel like you were watching a space odyssey, but with Super Mario 3D World having multiple level themes; the music has more variety. I’m not saying the Super Mario 3D World has better music, but it definitely has its own flavor… which is a good thing. There are also a few retro tunes that you old school nostalgia lovers will catch as well.

Super Mario 3D World runs at 720p and at 60 fps, but looks and feels great doing so. The gameplay is smooth and it makes it easy to pick up and play; I also didn’t find the 8 directional stick movement so much of a problem like the other reviewers have, nor did I have trouble with the little speed boosts that you get for running after short while. The speed boost actually adds interesting touch to the core Mario 3D game mechanics as well; some reviewers found this to throw off their jumps, but it never made anything difficult for me, it has instead helped me to get that good jump in for obtaining perfect flagpole jumps and overcoming other obstacles. Now how differently do the characters feel from each other? Well…

Coming back as the main protagonist, Mario doesn’t really have pros or cons, but mostly is just balanced, and feels very similar to how he has in previous titles. Like the rest of the characters he can wall jump, backflip, and even roll (which doesn’t do much other than break through bricks). But he is a great choice for those who want just a more straightforward basic character.

The much underrated Luigi has the highest jump, but is the 2nd slowest runner out of the main four, and has the lowest traction, but it’s not near as noticeable as in previous Mario titles. Luigi is great if you find yourself wanting to jump to greater heights.

Peach is possibly the most fun out of the main four, she retains her floating ability like in the classic “Super Mario Bros. 2”, but suffers by being the slowest character of the bunch. Her abilities are great for beginners since her floating ability is great for honing in on perfect jumps and obtaining green stars through very tricky obstacles, mainly the timed ones. Peach is a most-welcomed addition to the group of heroes.

Toad is back with his retro blue throwback to the classic “Super Mario Bros. 2”, he also retains his abilities which include being the fastest character, but has the lowest jump. Toad is a blast to play for expert Mario gamers, and is the most ideal for speed runs.

Rosalina is a great addition to Super Mario 3D world adding a level of flexibility with her default spin attack and being able to use it for a double jump. When using power-up other than the mushroom, her spin attack is replaced with that power-up’s capabilities. It’s especially interesting when you use Rosalina, because you find yourself NOT wanting to obtain a power-up, because of how awesome her spin-attack is! Rosalina’s running speed might even be slower than Peach’s, but has the second highest jump out of the whole crew.

The power-ups are a blast! You have several new power-ups with the return of some old favorites. The cat suit makes it fun to scale up the side of ledges and is great for discovering secrets. The double cherry makes the experience fun and interesting by multiplying your character the more cherries you collect, the more doppelgangers you control! I’m personally still a fan of the Tanooki suit which also makes a return, in addition to the Boomerang Flower and Fire Flower. There are also many fun items that aren’t power-ups that’ll help you out with secrets and getting through the level.

Super Mario 3D World has a lot for you to do; you can collect 3 stars in almost every level, and collect stamps as well. Super Mario 3D World is the beginning of why it's good to have a Wii U.
  97. Aug 24, 2014
    Everything in this game is awesome. The 3D gameplay is just outstanding! The new power ups are so much fun and helpful. And finally Bowser doesn't kidnap Peach for once. Its a must play. If you have a Wii U, don't miss out.
  98. Nov 25, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World, to me, can be be summed up in one word: Fun! As a Mario game, what more could I expect. When I first became a gamer back in the day, the most important thing to me was just getting to that flag pole. 3DW has returned to that simplistic gameplay in which the only thing I care about is getting to that flagpole again. Sometimes I just don't feel like sitting down andSuper Mario 3D World, to me, can be be summed up in one word: Fun! As a Mario game, what more could I expect. When I first became a gamer back in the day, the most important thing to me was just getting to that flag pole. 3DW has returned to that simplistic gameplay in which the only thing I care about is getting to that flagpole again. Sometimes I just don't feel like sitting down and watching hours of cinematics, sometimes I just want to throw a game in and complete the objective. Mario 3D World is just that!!! While the Mario Galaxy's, in my opinion, are the future of where Mario needs to go, 3DW is a throw back to what Mario use to be...and that's okay to me! Again, if your looking for a game you can throw in, have great fun, and not worry about committing to hours of gamplay at a time, then you can do no wrong with this game! Expand
  99. Oct 17, 2014
    This game is amazing. Tons of levels and collectibles, amazing graphics, great controls, good soundtrack and cute voice acting. The game looks easy at first, but it becomes more challenging later on.
  100. Dec 25, 2013
    This game is outstanding! This is the Game Of 2013 for me, and it's been so much fun so far. Me and my sister love it! Graphics are amazing in this game. Possibly the best in the series. The gameplay is fun, and the level ideas are very creative. It's just a great game. If you don't have a Wii U, this would be a good reason to get one.

Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Music: 10
    Overall: 10

1. Jan 28, 2015
    This game was yet another solid, fun-for-days title in the Mario series.
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    While not as revolutionary as Mario 64 or Galaxy, 3D World manages to feel simultaneously fresh and nostalgic in a way the New Super Mario Bros. series never quite realized.
  3. Mar 11, 2014
    Mario Galaxies have finally gotten the follow up they so rightfully deserve. Fun, exciting and surprising, Super Mario 3D World is everything a good platformer needs to be. [Dec 2013]