9.0

1. Dec 14, 2013
    Gameplay gets pretty boring after the first 3 worlds. You get the cat suit in the first level and after that there is pretty much nothing new. Id be fine with same old in HD if it would copy the things the forums and fans have been asking for. You hear people ask for a "open world" type of game with lots of secrets and collecting. They give us a "semi 3d" game which seems to just add a could of inches in depth to the recent 2d releases.

Oh and the run button, with the speed increasing in bursts probably the worst idea ive seen in a while. It solved an non existing problem.

On the positive side, nintendo did pretty well considdering the hardware they used. Some levels looked pretty damn good. I cant help but think that a "true 3d" game would have been hard to make, they would probably have to lower the resolution on a lot of textures. Maybe this was the best the console could pull off, and if thats the case, i guess they did the best they could.

Last but not least, enough with the damn gamepad. The community has said what it thinks about it. Let me turn it off and go on with my pro controller. Thatd probably free a bit of processing power too, which could improve the visuals for future games.
  2. Jan 30, 2014
    Very disappointing. You can only move in 8 directions, it feels like a massive step back.

I can imagine most Nintendo fans want a super Mario 64 or super Mario sunshine type game, not this HD 3DS title.

The magic of roaming around and exploring a landscape had disappeared into little vignettes of uninspiring micro lands.
  3. Dec 15, 2013
    Feels like an extended 2d platformer. Barely worth calling 3d when compared to previous Mario games.

* The laging runing with the run button is one of the worst things Ive experienced in a Mario game.

* The graphics look last gen in every way possible. Not horrible, but they dont breath any inovation at all. Its good seeing nintendo in HD finally, but I would have hoped they would
    set the bar higher than the consoles that are close to 10 years old. If this is the best the console can pull off in a very narrow level, its sad to think about how limited they will be with an open world in the next zelda game.

* The only positive things is that its not set in space like the last two instalments and doesnt have the gravity function or the star collecting with the wii remote. That and the possibility to use the pro controller (at least most of the time).
  4. Feb 3, 2014
    If you already own Super Mario 3D Land, and play videogames alone, don't bother buying this. The only upgrade is the multiplayer and the shiny graphics. Definitely not worth $60 for yet another one of Nintendo's rehashed Mario titles.
  5. Jan 21, 2014
    I was really hoping Nintendo would bring a system selling 3D Mario title, a proper one like Sunshine or 64, but no, we got a worse version of Super Mario 3D Land. Controls are bad, you can only move in 9 directions, wtf is that about? Why have a control stick? Music is OK, not very memorable though. Level design/themes are stale, same themes as New Super Mario Bros., just in a different order. The game has no exploration, its just a straight path all the way to the FLAGPOLE... Why is there a flag pole in a "3D World"? It's not even a 3D World, you can't look around you, you can only see the direction you're going. Just to top it off there's a Time limit. This game is absolute trash, it's such a disappointment to people growing up with real Mario games, not the recent re-hashed abominations. The game is pathetically easy, it's literally boring, at no point do you feel in danger, I must have died twice maybe 3 times throughout the entire game. Only positive thing I can say is I liked using Peach, cause she floated for a little bit, seriously that was the highlight of the game, floating a bit. Do yourself a favour and don't think twice about picking this mess up. Imagine if this game didn't have Mario characters, the review scores would be slashed in half. Super Mario 2D World gets a 2/10 from me. (2D was intentional). Expand

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Mario Galaxies have finally gotten the follow up they so rightfully deserve. Fun, exciting and surprising, Super Mario 3D World is everything a good platformer needs to be. [Dec 2013]
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    I'm sure some players will get a kick out of throwing each other into pits or causing chaos in a cat suit, but 3D World stands squarely in the shadow of other, greater entries in the series.
  3. Feb 12, 2014