8.9

1. Apr 18, 2014
    Not a bad game, but to me slightly disappointing considering all the praise it got. I was expecting something like Super Mario Galaxy or Sunshine, but it's really just New Super Mario bros on a 3D plane with enhanced graphics. I've never expected much 'story' from a Mario game but 3D world's plot was pretty pathetic. The game made poor and limited use of the gamepad, it was too easy, one can breeze through the game in 4-5 hours, plus another 2-3 hours to go back and get all the stars/stamps. On the other hand, there are some memorable little tunes and fun levels. The cat transformation, while strange, was perfect for some levels and bosses. A decent game overall, but not something I would call the best the Wii U has to offer. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    Super Mario Bros. 2 + Super Mario 64 = Great game. Congratulations, Nintendo, you've done it again. Keep up. There are some more great Wii U games to come.
  3. Apr 2, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World reminded me of why I love Mario games, because they are fun. I'm not really into graphics in video games but this game has amazing graphics for a Mario game. They even added a wet texture to the characters when it rains which I know it's not a new technology but it was the first time I seen it used well. The new cat suits power up made the game more fun where you need them to reach hidden areas to find hidden items or green stars.

In short, I had a lot of fun playing this game and I would love to see this game come out with DLC maps in the future.
  4. Apr 1, 2014
    In my opinion this is a Super Mario Galaxy spiritual successor. Not to be confused with the "New Super Mario Bros" - but not QUITE a full Galaxy game because it doesn't have "planets" and such. It is a near perfect game.
  5. Mar 30, 2014
    I really liked this game its like 2d mario with 3d mario, the graphics look incredible, its so incredibly colorful,its the kind of game that increases its difficulty the more you play it but the 4-player co-op can be very difficult to control i was with my friends and i wanted to do the 1-up trick but my brother messed up the trick the more i told him not to leave the screen besides all that there are a lot of secrets difficult levels and my god the game is incredible Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2014
    A sequel to Super Mario 3D Land, with a mixture of Super Mario Bros. 2, & elements taken from Super Mario Galaxy. Easily one of the best & most fun games I've ever played. I've definitely been proven wrong of how I thought this game could've been, but it's amazing. Wii U owners would be a fool to not buy this game.
  7. Mar 27, 2014
    This game is great! The levels are varied, and the multiplayer is very fun! If you have a Wii U, this is a must have! If you don't, go buy one just for this game!!!
  8. Mar 22, 2014
    I still think that it's not the best Mario game ever... well, in a relative perspective, at least.

When Super Mario Bros 3 was released, the game was simple a new paradigma for the games. Not only for the Mario franchise... for all the game industry! In every aspect, the game innovates and dictates rules from that time on.

I can't say the same for Super Mario 3D World...
    unfortunatly.

Still, from my point of view, the game still deserves a 9.

The game have so many pros, that I'll only list the 3 best that I found.

Pros:

-A big amount of content:

That's the main pro, no doubt. Lot's of players bought the game. But I think that just a few actually finished all the game with all the contents that it offers. I myself didn't finished the entire game yet.

There are so many courses, and with so many different obstacles, themes, etc that you probably will not be bored, even playing for hours! In fact, the only thing that blocked me from playing more this game when it was launched was the lack of Wii U GamePad's battery time.

-Beautiful graphics/animations:

You'll be delighted of the game art. In every aspect, the game simple looks shiny! The animations, courses, characters, foes, etc... all was worked in details.

-Flexible difficult level:

This is one point that I think that many players completely forgot or dont even recognized it inside this game. Nintendo is already using this concept from some time, but I noticed that inside 3d world, the concept reached the climax, the objective itself.

You put your little brother to play with you... checked. Your little brother never played a video game in his life... checked. He plays and after a couple minutes... he's playing alone and even clearing some courses. It's a perfect example of intuitive and flexible gameplay.

If you try it with your grandmother or wife, the results would be probably the same... I tried it with my wife... seriously. It was incredible seeing her clearing a course for herself.

But, as it's a game for begginers and veterans (flexible difficult)... try giving the gamepad for your younger brother again... inside the crown world... (I'm just kidding. Having a small child crying of angry is not good, dudes)

The beginners will probably be satisfied after finishing the game (I mean, by beating the bowser world). From the begin to that point, the gameplay can offer a easy and soft curve of learning. Also, the game allows the use of the "invincible white suit". After all, since the game gives lots of coins to you... earning extra lifes is not that hard.

About the veterans, the real challenge will begin after the "finished game". And that was the ace in the hole.

Cons:

-Lack of online interactions

Like almost all of Nintendo games... Mario platform still dont have a good online interaction feature. Now comes the Miiverse, the stamps, ghost characters.... interesting... yes... But come on. There are lots of other features that we want much more than these.

From the basis, I have a friend that lives in another city. I want to play with him... Ok. I'll make a trip... enter his house, play for a couple hours and go back.

Of course, that it was a joke (for the people that didn't understood). We live today in a interconected world. There's a interesting thing called Internet. I'm using it now... to write a review that you can read from the other side of the world... amazing, isn't it? Please, someone tell to Nintendo that this thing actually exists!
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    I'm going to keep this short as I like to. This game is the only reason you need to know Wii U is the console for you. With stellar graphics, wonderful level design, fun multiplayer, tight controls and unique characters this one is a game should be remembered for years.
  10. Mar 16, 2014
    This game revived my interest in platformers. The graphics are spectacular and the gameplay is phenomenal. This is a such a fun game that kept me entertained for hours upon hours on end. I highly recommend this game to all looking for a relaxing game experience
  11. Mar 16, 2014
    Anyone negatively reviewing this game just has a bone to pick with nintendo. From a critical perspective, this game is one of the best designed games I've ever played. It is crafted with great care, and you can feel it throughout. It shakes up the traditional Mario formula in MANY ways, so its not "just another mario game" like you hear some people complain. The final bonus levels are insanely difficult. Don't think that this is going to be a walk in the park. There is real satisfaction to be gained from beating a level after spending days or even weeks on it. There is an incredible amount of replayability in it as well. No real gamer could play this and say it was a poor game. This is THE must buy game for the Wii U, and if you havent played it yet, youre missing out! Expand
  12. Mar 14, 2014
    hd graphics:9/10
    gameplay:10/10
    story:9/10
    music:10/10

well,nintendo done again!
    super mario 3d world is the best game of wii u,i have this game,okay,the mario series is one of the best series for me(crash bandicoot is number 1)
  13. Mar 13, 2014
    Let me first start off by saying that the last 3D Mario Action game I played was Super Mario Sunshine. I have yet to play Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, or Super Mario 3D Land. I want to say this because there are a lot of people who compare these games, where as I went into it with a completely open mind.

So, where to start? I suppose the first thing I'll talk about is the
    most important part- the gameplay. When it comes to level design, I was blown away. Now, there are a small handful of levels that didn't completely amaze me, but I'd say 9 out of every 10 levels were fantastically designed, and most had the most interesting ideas that you would only see in a Nintendo game like this. Each level has 3 green stars and a stamp (for posting onto Miiverse). This gives the player a reason to explore each and every inch of the level, and there are definitely a few very cleverly placed ones that will no doubt make you smile when you finally find them. You can play all these levels with up to 4 friends, and even having just one there for you when you play enhances the experience immensely. Since I personally enjoy taking my sweet time and looking for all the collectibles in each level, I found myself enjoying single player just as much. Rest assured, you'll enjoy the game no matter what.

Next, how about the graphics and the music? The graphics in this game are top notch, not because they're beyond anything we've ever seen before, but simply because the game creates such a colorful world to look at. Everything looks crisp and clean, and it's one of those games that will look fantastic even decades from now. And then we have the music which is incredible. You're guaranteed to look up some of the incredibly memorable tracks on YouTube as soon as you're finished playing. It's THAT good.

There is one problem that I had with this game though, that being the camera. Now, the camera works fine, and in single player, you can even adjust it, but this game is (at least, from what I've seen) made similarly to how Super Mario 3D Land for the Nintendo 3DS was made, which means some levels have some depth in them, and without the 3DS's 3D capabilities, you may find yourself misjudging a few jumps during your playthrough. This is a fairly minor complaint, however it's what kept it from being a 10/10 game in my mind, so be careful with those jumps.

And that is just about all there is to say about Super Mario 3D World. Personally, I don't really find it to be a must-have title for everyone, however, if you're considering a Wii U, this IS a must-have title.
    The Wii U has a growing library, and it's finally proving to be worth your time. With games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, and soon, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, and Monolith Soft's big RPG project (currently called "X"), and of course, Super Mario 3D World, there really is something for everyone.
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    This is the best Mario platformer ever! It's gameplay is stellar, it's graphics are beautiful, it's soundtrack is jazzy, and it has loads of content for you!♪So many worlds, all around. So many places, to be found. Exploring a kingdom where Sprixies must be found!♪Many courses are in each world. Some are easy, many are difficult, but all are fun! The multiplayer is awesome, the cutscenes are epically jazzy, and the fun-filled surrealism is significant! The new Cat Suit is epic! It's over-powered, but in a fun way! In fact, this game has 17 power-ups, more than Super Mario Bros. 3's 9 power-ups!

Please, get a Wii U, and buy this game!

This isn't a AAA game!

It's an ∞A game!

Everyone loves 3D World, and so will U!
  15. Feb 28, 2014
    When SM3DW was first showed I was very skeptical about it. But in the end, the game didn't disappoint me at all. This game is gorgeous from start to end! Everything in the game is really polished, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, everything! The level design is pretty good and the challenge keeps growing the more you advance to the insane final level. While It was a letdown that some bosses were easy and repetitive, there were other awesome and memorable battles (Giant Snake King FTW). This is definitely one game that will be remembered in the years to come.

On a side note, if you has some pals to play this game multiplayer, you will have a BLAST. Playing this game multiplayer is incredibly fun!
  16. Feb 28, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World is phenomenal, and worthy to stand amongst some of 2013's best.

First of all, I think we need to all get one thing straight… This IS NOT, the greatest Mario game of all time. It think people are getting a little too ahead of themselves when they put that title on the game. However, is it the greatest Multiplayer Mario experience of all time? Absolutely.

If you've
    played Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS, you've played this game, and that is in no way a criticism. Both games play wonderfully.
    Aside from a few new abilities, notably the adorable cat suit, the games have a lot of the same features.

Something that struck me right from the get go, was that this game should be an example to why Wii U is great. Why Nintendo don't need the most powerful hardware on the market. They have some of the best designers in the world, and their artistic direction is so phenomenal that it puts so called "triple A" games to shame.

If you want to best couch co-op experience of 2013 and most likely 2014, look no further.

A 9 out of 10.

Jack Valentine
  17. Feb 27, 2014
    What many originally considered to be Super Mario 3.D. Land 2.0, Super Mario 3.D. World is an entirely different game, though uses the same formula...essentially mixing the worlds of both 2.D. and 3.D. Super Mario in one. The game is near flawless, with one issue that ends up being big enough for me to deduct an entire point. The camera during multiplayer is rather awful, it will cause many lives lost and will cause much frustration among many. Super Mario 3.D. World has a lot of content and will provide many hours of entertainment. Expand
  18. Feb 27, 2014
    The home console sequel to the best-selling 3DS game proves Nintendo can always make the next SUPER MARIO game more super than the last one. With 6 characters (Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Rosalina & Captain Toad), an amazing multi-player, and about 19 wonderful power-ups, Mario has never looked better than ever. The dev team thought of everything with the level designs right down to the flowers in the grasslands. The sharp visuals shows that HD graphics has finally been perfected and makes all other consoles' visuals look like there were a lot to be desired. And Kenny James and Charles Martinet have made Bowser Koopa & the Mario Bros. sound so awesome, right down to Bowser's defeat scream. SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD is a must have for both the Wii U and for the eight generation of gaming, and it'll be awhile for another game to replace it as the Wii U and 8th generation's killer game. Expand
  19. Feb 27, 2014
    This game is one of the best Mario games ever. It is worth buying a Wii U alone. Yes, the perspective may be wonky, but you can change it using the right control stick if you don't like it. The graphics are absolutely astonishing. From my first few minutes playing the first level, I knew it was going to be a hell of a ride. This game is extremely fun when played with 3 people! In my opinion, 2 people is too small, 4 people is too hecktic. There is also so much to complete!
    [SPOILER ALERT!]
    You have to complete every level with each of the 5 characters, touch the top of every flag pole, get every stamp, every green star, and you have to do all this without getting that white tanooki suit. Smart, they took it out on Champions Road. Well played, Nintendo.
    [CONTINUE READING]
    The level design is one of the best I've seen. Every level is unique, and none feel the same. You'll need some unique new powerups, like the Super Bell and Double Cherry to progress and get stamps and green stars. This should have been the release title of the Wii U when it came out. But then again, it WAS pushed. This title is worth buying the Wii U alone.
  20. PCR
    Feb 26, 2014
    Our favorite Italian plumber is back and better than ever.

When Super Mario 3D World was announced at E3 last year, I was thrilled. After all, my Wii U, which I purchased on launch day, was begging for something new to play. Since I felt that Super Mario Galaxy was the greatest Mario game on the Wii, I had high hopes for 3D World on the Wii U, considering the Galaxy team was behind it.

Super Mario 3D World is a breath of fresh air from the New Super Mario Bros. series that we all know and love (and frankly are getting tired of). I really enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. U (and especially the New Super Luigi U DLC), but I was left wanting something more. I wanted a great 3D platformer. Super Mario 3D World delivered. This is exactly what the Wii U needed right now.

I was never a big fan of Super Mario Bros. 2, but the one thing I did like about it was the ability to choose your character. I don’t like when they force me to be Mario when I’m player 1, Luigi when I’m player 2, etc. I like to be able to choose my character, and Super Mario 3D World lets any player choose to be Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad.

The all new cat suit power-up is a lot of fun. Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad can transform into a cute little cat and scratch enemies and climb up walls (and the flagpole at the end of a level). My favorite new power-up, however, is the Boomerang Flower, which was introduced in the 3DS title Super Mario 3D Land. Anyone who has played a Mario game knows just how annoying those Boomerang Bros. are, and we can finally use their awesomely annoying power to destroy enemies.

What I love about this game is that it combines elements from so many different Mario games and blends them seamlessly. Some of the levels are very similar to levels I remember playing in Super Mario Galaxy, and other levels remind me of Super Mario 64. I had a strange moment while playing, déjà vu of sorts, where I felt like I was playing Super Mario 64. Obviously, the character selection mirrors that of Super Mario Bros. 2. The little tune that plays when you die is from Super Mario Bros. 3, as are the toad houses. The music is the same as well, and Toad even says the same thing to you when you walk into his house.

I was relieved when I saw that the game automatically saves after each level is completed. One of the most frustrating things about the NSMB series was that you had to reach- and complete- a castle before you could save. If you lost all your lives before beating the castle, you would have to go all the way back to the last castle and redo all the levels you already completed. It made the games very frustrating and it was just unnecessary.

All in all, SM3DW is a charming, beautiful experience that I’ve been waiting my whole life to play. Like most gamers, I grew up loving Mario. He was the first video game character I ever saw, and I’m delighted that he’s still around and doing better than ever.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Gameplay: I don’t think there was one moment when I wasn’t smiling while platforming about in SM3DW. It’s simple fun for casual and hardcore gamers alike.

Appearance: This game is absolutely gorgeous. It’s so refreshing to see Mario and company is stunning high definition. The environments are beautiful as well; I was very impressed with the quality of the water. It’s the best looking Mario game to date, but it’s not quite up to par with other true next-gen games such as Knack.

Sound: The soundtrack is perfect. I don’t know how else to describe it. The music just puts a big smile on your face and really adds a lot to the feel of the game.

Bottom line: This is a system seller for the Wii U. People who already own the console should not hesitate to pick this up, and those who don’t should really consider it. SM3DW proves that Nintendo still knows how to make games, and great ones at that.
  21. Feb 25, 2014
    Looks fantastic, plays fantastic, levels have plenty of content. I highly recommend this game to anyone with a Wii U and anyone who likes platforming.
  22. Feb 25, 2014
    This game is amazingly fun. From the first level you complete you will want to keep playing to experience new ones. I wish there were more new power ups, but the cat suit and the double mario are pretty interesting. The cannon suit is just ok. The first time I sat down to play this game I didn't stop until I was through three worlds and it was way too late for me to be going to bed before work. As far as fun factor I would put this right up there with galaxy 1 and 2. Expand
  23. Feb 24, 2014
    Nintendo have once again outdone themselves with this game. It's honestly unbelievable how many ways there are for a person to have fun just by jumping around in a game. Looking at the franchise's history, this probably is the most varied series ever but that has stayed true to the principles of its conception: Pure fun with family and friends.

In conclusion, one of the best Mario
    titles ever and proof that Nintendo can leave you speechless due to how original they are, even after 30+ years of creating a game with the same formula. Because of all that and the sheer quality of the game (from the colors, the shapes, the lighting, the gameplay etc.), for me, this is one of the greatest achievements in the field of game-designing ever. Expand
  24. Feb 24, 2014
    I was very underwhelmed by 3D Land, and after seeing the first trailer for this game, it looked like a rather dull sequel. Fortunately, this couldn't be less true. This game takes the 3D Land concept and makes enormous improvements in every area. 3D Land's one new power up (the Boomerang Suit) has been replaced by about a dozen new ones here. With the Cat Suit, Double Cherry, Cannon Box, Goomba Hat, and more, it feels like there's a new power up almost every level. The amount of variety here is insane - whereas 3D Land got boring and repetitive after awhile, every level in this game is fresh and completely different from the previous levels. This is the culmination of the best elements of New Super Mario Bros, 3D Land, and Mario Galaxy, with some brilliant original ideas and great new power ups as well. On top of all that, there's beautiful HD visuals, an excellent and completely original soundtrack, and the incredibly fun addition of 4-player multiplayer, which surprisingly works better here than in 2D Mario.

While it doesn't quite reach the incredible standard set by Mario Galaxy, this is still one of the most fun 3D platformers I've ever played and easily the best game of 2013.
  25. Feb 24, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World provides a very welcome refreshment to the beloved platforming franchise. Innovative level design and beautiful environments make this latest installment a delight to play, with enough new features to stand strong as a new big dog in Nintendo's already vast library of gaming glory. In short this is the best Mario game since Galaxy and has this title been available at the systems release in place of the familiar New Super Mario Bros. U the Wii U may very well have had a much better launch period. This game was new, original yet stayed true to the series in style, feel and spirit. A must own for any fan of the series, Nintendo or gamers in general. Expand
  26. Feb 22, 2014
    I wasn't so sure about this game prior to playing. My personal preference is more a classic 2D platformer. However, Nintendo has incorporated a slice of each of the classics and mashed it into an awesome 3D world... and it plays so well! Each level is somewhat unique, not overly challenging but not too easy either. Visuals are amazing. Soundtrack is very catchy, although slightly repetitive. Overall fantastic game and a must have for Wii U and those who enjoy Mario platformers. Expand
  27. Feb 22, 2014
    The only reason this got a nine instead of a ten is the gold tanooki suit. The suit appears after you fail a level 5 times and gives you invincibility. I do not take it, but i really wish it wasn't there. If you say it is ok for young kids (5 or 6) I still think they should problem solve and beat the level, and it will be more of an accomplishment. But overall a phenomenal game.
  28. Feb 22, 2014
    Buy a Wii U for this game. Seriously. This is a great game that shows off the Wii U's capabilities (like the luscious HD graphics and use of the gamepad in a way that shows it's presence, yet isn't overused and boring like ZombiU where you check the gamepad every two seconds). Anyone who looks past this game due to it being Nintendo is an idiot. Even though this game is child-friendly overall, the final levels test any gamer's abilities and is one of the most difficult modern games in the final levels. The first levels are ok, and a bit repetitive but every level after that is amazing. The running is good. People complain about it, but there is no problem. It wasn't needed and doesn't add anything to the gameplay, but it doesn't take anything from it either. Sometimes the timer can be annoying, but that is very rarely a problem. The music is great. Super Mario Bros 2 was my favourite Mario game, and this takes concepts from 2 and 3 which is great. Anyone crying that it isn't like Mario Galaxy should shut up. I get that they want Super Mario Galaxy 3, but that doesn't make this game bad. You don't see reviews on Zelda complaining it isn't Mario Galaxy 3. Expand
  29. Feb 21, 2014
    perfection in a 3d mario game. this is a real piece of art, the game stands on its own as one of the very best mario games ever released. an absolutly huge amount of levels and content, collectibles and hidden secrets make this game a real joy to play, and then play through again. if you own a wii-u then you have to have this game.
  30. Feb 21, 2014
    The reason why i give it 7 is because after beating the whole game, it is not what i expected an quality Mario platform game. It is because the levels are too simplistic, easy and repetitive. This itself makes the game boring even with 3-4 players. The level design, the music, the annoying camera with multiplayer are all low quality. It seems this game was made in rush.
  31. Feb 20, 2014
    Bow to this game, guys, we got the contemporaneous Super Mario All-Stars.

As many of you, I was firstly disappointed when I first saw the game. I really love the heck out of 3D Land, but hoping the same gameplay style would never happen again, so I actually found a reason to be freaked out at the E3 reveal.

However, as time passed, I started to think again about my real opinion. And
    again. I had been a Mario gamer since the original Super Mario World, so pulling back those gems would help me to question myself if my vision was actually correct. As I completed Super Mario AS + SMW, it happened that the famous turnabout trailer from september was finally shown. So yeah, my faith in the game was restored. I couldn't wait anymore to get my hand on the new installment to the series, and if things were not clear enough, those previews and dat october trailer finally set my will to purchase the game.

And so, the 29th of november (I live in Spain) finally happened. My new WiiU console arrived at home bundled with Super Mario 3D World. As i booted up the game, magic was everywhere. The artistic presentation, the colorful levels and a truly kickass soundtrack formed a package of exceptional croft, as Gamespot said.

Of course, there were still minor dips when I was let down with the game in some level details, but the actual fact out of me stayed true to its identity when progressing and proved me wrong once again.

The platforming level was getting better and better within each world, and when I finally got the 5 shiny stars... I was all set, Mario was just as good as always. as we've always seen that magnificent creation of Miyamoto-san.

Nintendo, you did it again.
  32. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is one of my favourite games of 2013. I loved the fact that it had amazing gameplay, mixed with wonderful graphics and loveable, but silent, characters! I've completed the main story in about 13-14 hours and I still haven't finished! There are so many things to do this game is more than 20 hours if you are the person who likes to collect all stars and complete the game 100%.

Thanks for reading.

-Apologeticritic
  33. Feb 17, 2014
    This is an awesome great game. The mechanics are perfect and the art work is second to none. I you need a pallet cleanser for all these dark dreary games this is the one to play.
  34. Feb 16, 2014
    This is one of the best Mario games we've gotten in a long time. Probably the best ever since Galaxy. The game starts like your typical Mario fashion but the difficulty REALLY cranks up towards the end which will keep you playing until you've unlocked all the stars, stamps, and levels. The biggest problem I had with it is that some levels were very predictable and you knew what to expect but there are still lots of creativity to the levels. If you have a Wii U, this is a must-own. Expand
  35. Feb 16, 2014
    This game is pure platforming fun.It boasts next gen graphics with game-play so polished you it would not look out of place in a castle made of diamonds. If there is only one game that makes you want to buy a Wii U this should be it. Play alone or with friends and you a guaranteed to have grin on your face as you try and master each beautifully crafted level.
  36. Feb 14, 2014
    Just one thing I can say, no Mario game will be more amazing in terms of level and gameplay than Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, that's a fact. But Super Mario 3D World is the funnest,extremely challenging and most beautiful Mario game to date. When Mario Galaxy 2 came out a lot of people were scared that nintendo wouldn't be able to come up with a Mario game that comes close to Galaxy's level and thank god we were all wrong.
    Levels: Just like every Mario game the levels are jaw dropping and intelligently designed. No level is repetitive or dull. Every level has color and a smart design to it, whether you're avoiding spotlights that send Bullet Bills at you, or you have to run away from a horde of Fuzzies, every level will challenger your video game skills and will give you a satisfying feeling when you reach that end flag.
    Multiplayer: Single player is fun by itself, but multiplayer is insane. When 4 people are on the screen it's an absolute blast and hilarious throughout the entire time you play with friends, you will be bouncing off each other's heads or using each other's skills to grab the stars in the level, and compete for that first place crown. The only negative about multiplayer is the camera, when 4 people are too spread out the camera focuses on one character and will normally drag the others behind and cause them to die or bubble to you. This isn't much of a hassle in most level since the platforms are small, but on large open levels it becomes a hassle.
    Graphics: you will stand still and just state at the beauty that Nintendo has created, every object has shine and reflection, the characters and enemies animation are smooth and react naturally. Every step and jump releases a spark or some effect that adds color to the level. Even bouncing on enemies or throwing a fireball is beautiful. The music in this game is amazing as well, giving your ears a sense of euphoria. We just wish every level had a dedicated orchestrated soundtrack to go along with it.
    Verdict: Buy Super Mario 3D World RIGHT NOW, this game proves that nintendo still has what it takes and if you have a wii u and don't get this game then idk what you're doing with your life.
  37. Feb 13, 2014
    Well this game sure has a lot worlds and some of the hardest stages its a good game but the only thing that bothers me its a Mario game and I didn't expect too much of it. But overall its a good game.
  38. Feb 13, 2014
    Extremely easy and short, gets really boring after playing for 30 minutes. The multiplayer is horribly broken, every time someone gets hurt the game lags a second and it becomes annoying, making the rest of the team lose as well. Nintendo has gone lazy as f**k
  39. Feb 12, 2014
    Not as epic as say, Super Mario Galaxy, but still just as a charming, beautiful, cleverly crafted game. The stages in this game are short, but all of them have 3 green stars, one stamp, and you have to get to the top of the flag at the end of each level to 100% the game, which almost doubles the length of gameplay, and makes it much harder. And it's a ton of fun to play with friends, or race against ghosts of other players. Expand
  40. Feb 11, 2014
    Super Mario 3D world is simply a pure delight. This game is nothing that will blow your mind, but it is a game that so consistently hits the right marks. Nintendo has the 3D style of Mario down to an art, and what a lovely art this game is.

Typical of Nintendo, the game is fairly simple, easy to pick up and play. Of course, hidden underneath are several hidden mechanics and a few
    unique moves, but most everything is as it has been since Super Mario 64. However, they throw in just enough new things to make people like myself who have grown up with Mario to enjoy the new challenges. In particular, I found the double cherries to be a particularly fun challenge.

This game is probably longer than the average Mario adventure. For the first time ever, I was beginning to wonder when it might end, as there's one secret world after another. Some of the later levels provide a particularly high level of challenge. I can always trust Nintendo to provide some of those at the end, and I joyously lost hundreds of lives to the last few. There's a time and a place for those kind of moments, and Nintendo usually knows when to place them, so it's fine.

This game brings out the simple joy of a good platformer. It builds on itself to create one of the top Mario games of in recent years, and one that I would highly recommend.
  41. Feb 10, 2014
    This game does co-op flawlessly.
    Level design is thrilling, inventive and fun.
    This game controls just about perfectly.
    The graphics are some of the best yet on Wii U.
    Loads and loads of content too.
    Works with old Wii mote +nunchuck too!
  42. Feb 4, 2014
    A defining platformer full of brilliant ideas, colourful landscapes and amusing enemies. Brilliant to play single player, and really shines if you play multiplayer.
  43. Feb 3, 2014
    If you already own Super Mario 3D Land, and play videogames alone, don't bother buying this. The only upgrade is the multiplayer and the shiny graphics. Definitely not worth $60 for yet another one of Nintendo's rehashed Mario titles.
  44. Jan 31, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World is an amazing game, however it still falls short in a few areas. The game is a great HD Mario game, with standard platforming, collecting and defeating Bowser once again. Similar to Mario 2, Super Mario 3D World brings back the four playable characters of Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad, each with a unique attribute. Mario is the most balanced of the team, Luigi can jump higher and flutter in the air momentarily. Princess Peach can float in the air for a short period of time, while Toad is the fastest of all the characters. The game is a huge step-up from its predecessors and is very enjoyable to play, but just like older multiplayer Mario games, multiplayer is too hectic and a little sloppy. All four characters on the screen at a time is confusing with too much going on at one time on the screen.

In the end the game is great and a must have Wii U title, but multiplayer is still a crowded mess. The game is best enjoyed as a two or single player experience. Super Mario 3D World is still a Mario game, and just like any other Mario game it's a great experience and a must play.
  45. Jan 30, 2014
    Very disappointing. You can only move in 8 directions, it feels like a massive step back.

I can imagine most Nintendo fans want a super Mario 64 or super Mario sunshine type game, not this HD 3DS title.

The magic of roaming around and exploring a landscape had disappeared into little vignettes of uninspiring micro lands.
  46. Jan 28, 2014
    Super Mario 3D World is a multiplayer masterpiece. I'm 28 and had a blast playing this game with my other adult friends. Nintendo has a way of making great timeless games for EVERYONE! If you own a Wii U, there's no reason not to pick this game up. And if you haven't purchased one yet, now is a great time to consider. There are many great games out for the console, with many more to come.! Support Nintendo. I don't want to live in a world without them. Expand
  47. Jan 27, 2014
    The game's graphics are amazing; surpassing New Super Mario Bros. U in terms of visuals. Regarding gameplay, it's fun and the characters may take some getting used to at first, since each has their own attributes. The difficulty starts off gradual, fairly easy, but as you progress you'll find the game getting tougher with each world you visit. It takes quite a lot to truly beat this game 100% and get all 5 stars on your save file, and honestly, the only pay-off is bragging rights. However, the bright extraordinarily-detailed visuals, vast new locations, and great new gameplay mechanics are enough to want to come back for more. Expand
  48. Jan 26, 2014
    This is a solid Mario platformer who, for the most part, is very entertaining and fun. There are, in my opinion, some noticeable downsides however.

At times the camera feels a bit unnatural for what is supposed to be a 3d game, so there were quite a few instances where I fell off certain objects and areas and died. This can at times be so frustrating that it interferes with the fun
    you're supposed to have.
    It would maybe have been a title better suited for the 3ds, so you could turn on the 3d-effect, and that way it would be much easier to see where you land after a jump in hectic environments.

Another thing is the timer, it just kills the joy of exploring and isn't very suited for a 3d-Mario game. That way you'll have to rush through the levels and won't have the time to sink in the oftentimes beautiful environments.
    There's just something about this game that makes me miss that 3d-Mario magic, especially from Mario Galaxy. I believe the 3ds title, Mario 3d Land was a better effort than this game, as it felt perfectly suited for the hardware it was released for.

But for the most part I had very much fun playing this game, and there are some memorable levels that comes to mind and makes me smile when I think of them. So if you're a Mario fan, or just like platformers in general, I'm pretty sure you'll find much enjoyment in this game, but don't expect it to be as good as Mario Galaxy.
  49. Jan 26, 2014
    Best Mario game in years! Amazing Graphics on each stage and beautiful music for each stage as well! The only problem that I had playing this game was its camera. The Camera was a issue with the multiplayer mode and in the stages that allow you to have clones with you however its a fantastic game worth buying.
  50. Jan 24, 2014
    Although the 93% maybe justified you never feel like you're playing a classic such as when playing Mario galaxy 2.some good idea's although it feels slightly outdated
  51. Jan 21, 2014
    I was really hoping Nintendo would bring a system selling 3D Mario title, a proper one like Sunshine or 64, but no, we got a worse version of Super Mario 3D Land. Controls are bad, you can only move in 9 directions, wtf is that about? Why have a control stick? Music is OK, not very memorable though. Level design/themes are stale, same themes as New Super Mario Bros., just in a different order. The game has no exploration, its just a straight path all the way to the FLAGPOLE... Why is there a flag pole in a "3D World"? It's not even a 3D World, you can't look around you, you can only see the direction you're going. Just to top it off there's a Time limit. This game is absolute trash, it's such a disappointment to people growing up with real Mario games, not the recent re-hashed abominations. The game is pathetically easy, it's literally boring, at no point do you feel in danger, I must have died twice maybe 3 times throughout the entire game. Only positive thing I can say is I liked using Peach, cause she floated for a little bit, seriously that was the highlight of the game, floating a bit. Do yourself a favour and don't think twice about picking this mess up. Imagine if this game didn't have Mario characters, the review scores would be slashed in half. Super Mario 2D World gets a 2/10 from me. (2D was intentional). Expand
  52. Jan 20, 2014
    This game is awesome. The graphics are amazing and with family or freinds is one off the best local multiplayer games I have ever played period. Its not as fully explorable as mario 64 or banjo but is far more enjoyable then both those games. I would definitely recommend.
  53. Jan 19, 2014
    This in many ways builds off galaxy/galaxy 2 plus more traditional Mario gameplay as well as some brand new stuff. Every level feels different One of my favourite games of 2013 and a reason to get the wii u.
  54. Jan 17, 2014
    I actually prefer this over super Mario 3d land! Man Nintendo really knocked this one out of the park! The cat suit and the multiplayer with different characters just makes it so fresh and unique
  55. Jan 17, 2014
    one of the best games out there on the wii u super mario 3d world brings the enjoyful of mario luigi toad and peach the game has quite a lot things you can do the captain toad game are far of may fav mini games on here this is more step foward to super mario 3d land
  56. Jan 17, 2014
    Do you want to have fun? This is the game for you! Lighthearted, colorful, shiny game with perfect mechanics, fantastic music and flawless gameplay. As usual, the puzzles will give the players that challenge to keep them hooked.
  57. Jan 15, 2014
    All the vibrant fun of the best Mario games but none of the frustrations. Having said that there is something else missing, a challenge. Nintendo has walked the thin line between pleasing existing fans and attracting new fans who may be put off by a higher difficulty level. The problem isn't that the game is too easy but that there is rarely any risk or reward in anything that you do.

Coins used to be collected to gain extra lives, now it's just for fun. Yes you still get extra lives but what's the point when you get infinite continues?

A big thing is made of hitting the top of the flag pole but you can cheat by storing a cat suit until the end of the level and then just climbing to the top.

Early levels are particularly easy and most can be 100% completed on a first attempt. The difficulty does get ramped up towards the end but it takes a long time in coming. The games longevity relies less on replayability and more on the sheer amount of worlds and levels it has. On three occasions I thought I was on the last world only to find there was more. At the time of writing this I have clocked well over 20 hours of play time and still have a few more stamps and green stars to collect.

So yes it's a bit easy, at no point did I find my heart beating faster. But I still enjoyed every second of it. It's one of those games that when your not playing it your thinking about playing it. It's a game full of charm and subtle comic moments. Mario camps it up beautifully by meowing while mincing around in an adorable yellow cat onesie. The graphics look great in HD and the fantastic soundtrack combine to make a great overall package.
  58. Jan 14, 2014
    Nintendo never fails when the things is their main titles. Super Mario 3D World is not exception. The game is very good, the graphics are amazing and very well detailed, it really shows what the Wii U is capable of. Galaxy 2 had amazing graphics, but 3D World is better in every way possible. Super Mario 3D World's main gimmick is the "3D exploration but with a 2D feeling", like it's precessor Super Mario 3D Land. 3D World feels like a classic game, but with a modern touch. There is 4 playable characters to choose from. Each one of them have their own skills and you really fell that when you play the game, each character feels different when you play. Nintendo once again challenge players with level exploration in order to find secrets and stamps. The game rewards you for exploration and that is a very good thing is games. The levels feels gimmicky all the time, each level has something unique to see and do. Power-ups works pretty nice and the new Cat Bell, while it sounds weird, still a lot of fun to use. Bosses, however, are kinda a disappointment, they suffer from the "find the weak point, hit it 3 times" cliche and most of the time, it isn't fun, it is just boring. But still, the game is a lot of fun and finding all the stamps isn't an easy task and you keep coming back for more. Let's just hope that Nintendo continues with this formula to the next titles. Expand
  59. Jan 13, 2014
    This game is incredible! i have been playing it for 20 hours and still haven't fully beat it (100%) This game is crazy long and crazy amounts of fun! the best mario game to date! it added new mechanics to characters and if you played mario 2 every character has the same advantages as they did in that game (Princess floats, luigi jumps higher, toads faster, and marios well rounded and easy to control) i really did enjoy how creative they got with the levels and how it never felt like i played the same level twice. All in all i loved the game and i thought it deserves it's rating it got.

P.S sorry about poor punctuation i'm not a writer i'm just a guy who likes games.
  60. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is one of the most fun games on the wii u, the co op in this game is phenomenal. My only complaint with this game is that it is very long and seems to keep on going when you think your done otherwise, great game!
  61. PMG
    Jan 12, 2014
    This game... Blew my expectations! With four players, this game becomes the god of COOP Mario games, there are so many power ups and most of all, it is just so fun! It is easy in places, but it is a charming and color full experience among the best Mario games ever made!
  62. Jan 12, 2014
    What really spurred me to actually write this short review was the troll-review of "peewee_RotA", who gave this game a 0. I believe a game of this calibur needs to be defended, thus I am rating this game the 10 it rightly deserves.

Rest assured, this is Mario at his very finest. Super Mario 3D World blends together everything which makes both the 2D and 3D Mario games great and then
    some. The graphics are stunning, sharp, colourful and the lighting effects are amazing. The controls are tight and responsive and much like the 2D games in terms of physics coupled with the twists and flips of 3D Mario.

The levels are varied in style and theme much more than any recent Mario titles and are interesting to explore and filled with puzzles and uniqe elements. The music is catchy and of fantastic quality once again, and there are so many power-ups, secret levels and additional features (MiiVerse functionality with stamps, hidden easter eggs, help for younger players optional) available that it is clear Nintendo really know how to make a video game.

The game leaks from the very brim with Mario-style. There's so many different nods to past games that will thrill you if you're a veteran, and intruige you if you're new to the series. Nothing feels out of place, and the game flows perfectly.

The game is even 2 to 4 player and varied as such because each character has their own abilities and this affects certain elements of the game.

At over 20 - 30 hours long to complete the entire game including all collectibles, this is also one of the longest Mario games.

All in all, I'm not sure how to sum this game up. Rather, this is an analysis of the features this game has, and should give you an indication of what to expect. If you loved Super Mario Galaxy, you'll love this. If you loved Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, you'll also find what you're looking for here.

In fact, if you love any of the previous core Mario titles, platform games or just fun in general, you'd be a fool to not play this game.

This is definitely one of the best games I have ever played.
  63. Jan 10, 2014
    This game is an absolute JOY to play. Lots of replayability value and lots of polish. Level design is amazing, and the gameplay is phenomenal. Don't miss this game.
  64. Jan 10, 2014
    BEST MARIO GAME to come out over the last 10 years! The family had a great time at Christmas playing 4 player mode and all skill levels of gamers had a blast and worked together. Not often can a game bring the whole family together to have a good laugh - thanks Nintendo!
  65. Jan 8, 2014
    Everything about this game is borderline perfect. The level design is amazing, absurdly addicting with 3 or 4 players (seriously it's crazy), the music is very catchy and memorable (the Boo house theme is a really good piece) and it's just so much fun. This game is hands down one of the best games of the year and is an essential purchase for any Wii U owner.
  66. Jan 7, 2014
    An amazing game that shows off the Nintendo magic. This game is a must-have for Wii U owners! It's fun and challenging to play alone, and if you prefer to have friends or family play, this game is all-around fun and relaxing. It is definitely one of the best Mario games to date, visually and game play-wise. The colors and art style are just stunning in this game, it'll have you admiring it even though you should be making your way through the level! and as well for the controls and innovations, which make the game even better.
    The game itself is a good amount of fun, but if you're one of those people that like 100% ing your games, this one will last quite a while.
    The game is just platforming perfection!
  67. Jan 6, 2014
    Mario, you have failed me. Your latest game is a massive let down, and I really don't have much nice to say about it.
    Level design is bland, generic and no-thrills. It's even worse than New Super Mario Bros. 2 in terms of unoriginal level design, there's just nothing new or fun to do in any of the levels. New power-ups are ho-hum, not terrible but don't really help make the gameplay
    better. Multiplayer feels tacked on as it is not fun at all. 4-player Mario should've stayed in 2D, because if you dare play with 4 players in this game, you'll lose friendships faster than Mario Party ever could.
    If I were to say one good thing about this game, it's that it at least looks pretty, being the first 3D Mario in HD, but in the end, graphics are the least important part of the game. So if you can't manage the gameplay to be as good, all the cosmetics are irrelevant.
    It's not one of the worst Nintendo games ever that titles goes to Metroid: Other M. But it's definatley the weakest Mario platformer I've seen to date, and if Nintendo wants to sell the Wii U, they'll have to do a lot better. Then again, given the aforementioned game sunk their reputation, the Wii U was doomed from the start. I shouldn't set my expectations so high for post-2010 Nintendo. Pardon me.
  68. Jan 6, 2014
    this game is a perfect 10/10 nice graphics great gameplay the 3D elements add a nice touch the cat-mario and other new suits add some more fun to an already amazing franchise many consider it to be the best mario since mario 64 i totally agree definitely a must own for the wii u id recommend a wii u for this game alone
  69. Jan 4, 2014
    Okay, this is the first time I've ever gone back to re-write a review of mine.

When I first reviewed this game, i'd only completed the first world. Now I've completed the game and I have to say after slugging my way through 12 worlds, that I'm disappointed incredibly with this title, being a Nintendo and Mario fan for over 20 years makes saying this even more difficult but I feel I have
    to be honest.

This game is too short and too padded. When compared to it's predecessors, it falls short.

This game has only 12 worlds, in total it has around 90 levels, But good luck getting past world 8 as beyond that point the game requires you to collect an unreasonable amount of collectibles, meaning you will have to backtrack and go through each and every level collecting these green stars just to progress and good luck finding them, some are really well hidden, meaning you will probably have to reference a guide, this feels like such a waste of time, it's padded through the roof, why is this a requirement to progress?

I don't ever remember that being a requirement in the original games?

Well I can answer this quite simply, the game would have been too short otherwise, just playing the game normally without intentionally collecting these things, I managed to slug through the entire game in less than 5 hours, now I'm stuck at a hurdle because I haven't been collecting these stupid things, Now this means I have to go back and do each level again trying to collect these things, it feels like such a grind. I was really enjoying the game until this point, now I'm left stuck, I'd rather play a different game than do all the same levels again. So after going back and collecting all the stars in each level, my play time was closing in on 16 hours, I see what you did there Nintendo, WELL PADDED!

But even when compared to Super Mario Galaxy, It took me over 14 hours to complete the main game, then another 16 to get all the stars and enter the special world which then took me another 2 hours to finish, thats 32 Hours, Galaxy is 12 hours LONGER than 3D World.

I wouldn't care how short the game is if it wasn't padded like this. Why has nobody else commented on this?

Anyway, despite all this, this is a beautiful game, the controls are great, sadly I see no reason to ever play this again, probably going to put it up on ebay next week.

(I'm aware that NSMB is also has padding like this on the special world, but that's only on one extra world with 4 levels SM3DW it's another 4 Worlds with 35~ levels.)
  70. Jan 1, 2014
    just like all the other reviews you've checked, this game is just great in every way you can imagine. It has wonderful controls, a variety of characters to choose from (Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach) beautiful visuals, an amazing soundtrack! i say if you own a Wii U, this is a game that you need to own.
  71. Jan 1, 2014
    When a game is as good as Super Mario 3D World, it's hard to think of the words that sums it up with sufficient accuracy. But I'll give it a go:

Nintendo's Game of the Year. This is a fresh installment to the Mario franchise, unleashing outstanding class and originality in one neat little package. It captures the very essence of platforming and makes it relevant for any age group, at
    any level of expertise, in single player or in multiplayer. A casual audience will love having their mates over for a bout in racing for the flag, while the hardcore gamers will have their hands full in trying to achieve 100% completion and setting personal bests for the online community to beat. For many, Super Mario 3D World is the game that justifies their purchase of a Wii U console, and it opens the minds of Wii U owners to fully see what the newest Nintendo home console is truly capable of. Expand
  72. Jan 1, 2014
    This Game is Amazing, the art style is so incredible, the gameplay is way far improved from 3D Land, the graphics, I don't really care for it but let's say they are perfect graphics for a Wii U game.
    Buy this game, It's the best Mario game now.
  73. Jan 1, 2014
    This is the best mario game since galaxy Super mario 3d world is an outstanding game it fantastic in every aspect it's creative and the game is extremely fun
  74. Dec 31, 2013
    This game is one of the best Mario games I have played. It is totally worth buying because all the levels are really good fun and there is lots of new things added to the game. I really like the cat suit because you can run up walls, you can do dive attacks and use your claws to attack. It is really good that they added Pellise back into the game. You can also play as Princess Peach and she can her hover from a short distance. Mario is still the most skilful, Luigi can jump up high and Toad can run fast.

It doesn't have coin rush and time limit races or little mini-games but it was still heaps of fun to play.
  75. Dec 31, 2013
    Like cute Mario games? Got friends?

BAM. The game for you. The simple 3D masterpiece of graphics is fun to play, easy for anyone, and almost enough content for hours of life to go by. It's less traditional, colorful, and appealing on the Wii U, and even if some say it is a game for younger children, it's not a bother to play.

If you've got a Wii U, and you don't have much to play,
    this is for you. Wii U. Expand
  76. Dec 31, 2013
    Perfect in ways unlike the Galaxy series, 3D World is my game of the year. I went in quite skeptical but came away very pleased. The sheer amount of new game play mechanics is outstanding. Not to mention having a great soundtrack.
  77. Dec 30, 2013
    This game is by far my favorite Wii-U game so far (and possibly my favorite Mario game). The graphics, despite being a cartoon, are fantastic along with the soundtrack. The soundtrack is one of the best parts of this game and really adds to the atmosphere of the game. One thing that I noticed they left out was a story. It had almost no story to it; the only parts being Bowser has done something bad and you have to stop him. I don't think that this really pulled the game down, I still loved it, but it couldn't have hurt to add a more complex one.
    A must for any Wii-u owner. It does get a bit difficult towards the end.
  78. Dec 30, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World is nothing less than platforming perfection. From the innovative level designs to the catchy music and eye-catching visuals there is truly not a single thing I can complain about. Not only is it great playing solo but the multiplayer has given me some of the most fun I've had from my Wii U since I got it, even when playing with people with much less experience with platformers (or even video games) than me. Definitely a must have for anyone with a Wii U. Expand
  79. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is no Super Mario 64, sunshine, or galaxy. It is the 2nd game in the Super Mario 3D series, Super Mario 3D Land being the first. If you've played that game, expect just about the same thing but with better graphics (obviously), more creativity and innovation, and just a better experience overall. The multiplayer also adds an extra layer of fun to the game, and unlike New Super Mario Brothers, it actually works because you don't get into each other's way. Honestly, this game isn't as good as most critics have been saying, but it's still a fantastic game. I would give it just a flat, simple 9/10. It deserves a 9, but nothing more. If you like Super Mario Brothers linear run to the flag gameplay, but you like the 3D roaming and controls of the Super Mario series (64, sunshine, galaxy), then you'll love this game. I would say that it's the best Mario game released that isn't in the Super Mario main series. Hope this helped. Expand
  80. Dec 28, 2013
    The game scales from pretty easy to normal to hard to really hard at a nice pace. the game has a nice variation between long and short levels. playing single player will have you searching every part of a level looking for secrets and hidden goodies while multiplayer has this chaotic fun that only this game can bring out. it looks fantastic and the music matches that if not, surpasses it. it's a game that every wiiu owner should have. Expand
  81. Dec 27, 2013
    The Mario series has recently got repetitive and unimaginative. I was worried this would be the point where it stopped being the perfect example of game design it once was, but Super Mario 3D World proved me wrong. Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game since Galaxy 2, and in many ways it’s almost like a new Mario Galaxy game. It’s full of playful ideas, creative power-ups and pitch-perfect design.
    The graphics look beautiful. They’re crisp and sharp, and 3D World revels in telling you that. From visually stunning cutscenes to camera angles that show you the world’s beauty, Super Mario 3D World uses graphics to generate an atmosphere that’s unrivalled by other games. This is the best Mario games have ever looked, in glorious, colourful HD. Lots of new environments help make it look so good. Tiny details aren’t overlooked- small droplets of water trickle down the screen in rainy levels. There is a level set in the African Savannah, in which the sun casts a spell on the land. Even environments from previous Marios are updated to look fantastic: the water sparkles beautifully in the beach levels and the lava in volcano levels has never looked more alive.
    The fantastic music sets the atmosphere, ranging from the haunting ghost house theme to the many jazzy tunes in the game. The recordings are of excellent quality, too.
    But while the presentation of the game firmly pushes it into the next-gen, it’s the groundbreaking gameplay that makes it one of the best Mario games. Multiplayer is a riot, with chaotic gameplay that’s full of calamity, and yet fun. Each character has different strengths and weaknesses, for example, Peach is one for inexperienced players as she can glide and runs slower. It’s one of the best additions to a Mario game since he went to space. It is annoying, however, that players share lives, so an expert player may find all their lives drained if they’re playing with a novice. This isn’t a huge problem, though, as getting a game over only takes you back to the start of the level. Local multiplayer is a blast, but it’s a shame there’s no online.
    There are loads of new power-ups and items. As well as returning ones, the cat suit allows Mario to climb walls and scratch enemies, but the double cherry was my favourite. Every time you collect one, it creates a clone of you that you control at the same time. Soon I had five clones of myself and combined with fire Mario, I could shoot five fireballs at a time! It allows for fun, chaotic gameplay.
    Of course the power-ups would be useless without the level design, and 3D World succeeds on that area too. Levels are brimming with creativity. Each one is wildly different from the other. Some of my favourites were an underground level in which you could only see the shadows of everything. In another, there were platforms that appeared and disappeared in time with the rhythm of the music. Mario 3D World juggles tonnes of new ideas but never lets any of them outstay their welcome. I constantly complete a level (which usually take about 5 minutes) to be faced with yet another idea which turns everything on its head. Sadly, the Gamepad is integrated very little into the game. That second screen’s capabilities are not utilised nearly as much as they should be. This doesn’t remove the creativity in the game at all though, and 3D World has some of the best bosses in the series, with hugely inventive battles, despite there not being enough of them.
    Levels are at their most challenging in this entry in the series, as well. Prepare to die a lot, especially in the later stages. Some of the levels in the Bowser world seriously challenged me, with one in particular killing me over fifteen times. Overall, the game took me about 10 hours from the beginning to the end credits, which is an underwhelming length when compared to its predecessors. It’s got a lot of content, but the fact levels are short bursts of energy rather than the long challenges they were in games in the Galaxy series means 3D World is a lot shorter. There are however 3 green stars and a stamp to collect in each level, which are hidden in hard-to-find areas or put in precarious positions that are extremely hard to reach and survive. There are also extra levels available after you beat the game, but fewer than in past Mario games. Altogether, though, 3D World does add up to a longer experience than 10 hours, particularly if you aim to complete it 100%. It’s an excellent Mario game, one that’s constantly throwing in something new. It has better graphics and framerate than the majority of PS4 and Xbox One launch games and, best of all, it’s huge fun to play. It can easily claim the prize of being an outstanding platformer, and it proves that even now, Nintendo can still create an inventive, fresh and well-designed Mario game as much as they could 25 years ago.
  82. Dec 25, 2013
    Mario 3D World is so funny that is impossible to stop laughing. I have been playing with my little brother and the experience has been super colourful and addictive. The mechanics are super easy to perform and at the same time is deep. This is the best Wii U game right now.
  83. Dec 25, 2013
    This game is outstanding! This is the Game Of 2013 for me, and it's been so much fun so far. Me and my sister love it! Graphics are amazing in this game. Possibly the best in the series. The gameplay is fun, and the level ideas are very creative. It's just a great game. If you don't have a Wii U, this would be a good reason to get one.

Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Music: 10
    Overall: 10
  84. Dec 25, 2013
    Prepare to get sucked into a world whose charm and creativity are almost too much for words. Mario's first 3D adventure on Wii U is the kind of game that exhales an almost magic sense of fun, making it oh so hard to put the controller down.

As you may have heard, this is the first 3D Mario game that features a true multiplayer mode. Taking inspiration from somewhat underrated gem Super
    Mario Bros. 2 on the NES, you're able to play as either Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach or Toad (with a fifth unlockable character for you to find), each with their own abilities, either alone or with friends. Better yet, the designers managed to somehow craft an experience that feels perfectly suited for both solo playthroughs and multiplayer madness.

There are quite a few power ups available (both old and new), with the adorable cat suit being at the forefront. It's not just cuteness, either, as Cat Mario & friends are given the very useful ability of wall (and flagpole) climbing. My favorite power up, however, has to be the double cherry, an item that adds another version of your chosen character to be controlled by you at the same time. Of course, you also get to chain cherries, which can result in you controlling up to five of the same characters at once. Yes, this is as chaotic as it sounds, and it's just as fun as you'd imagine.

The graphics are the best they've ever been in the entire series, with 60 frames per second being the norm all the way through, and benefitting from Wii U's HD capabilities. The character textures have a kind of luminous sheen that goes extremely easy on the eyes, and the lighting effects are great. The attention to detail displayed here is stunning, and can be appreciated from Cat mario's feline mannerisms to the raindrops rolling down the camera screen. The music is equally as impressive, featuring many new tunes that are as catchy as the classic ones. This is a game that never fails to keep impressing you with its production value and unbridled creativity.

Another constantly impressive trait is the level design. The game features some of the best levels ever crafted for any 3D platformer ever, taking full advantage of the possibilities for each of the game's many power ups, and hiding collectibles (sometimes quite deviously) all the way through.

Aside from the now usual stars, you're also tasked with finding a special stamp on each stage. Each of them is unique, allowing you to customize Miiverse posts depending on which ones you've found. It's a great idea that gives collectibles further use, while letting you brag by innocuously including a hard-to-find stamp image on a message that will then be read by fellow players in-game. There do seems to be a lack of less obvious secrets, though, with only a couple of warp zones to stand in for secret exits.

The game differs from previous 3D Mario games in its stage and world structure. Perhaps to help accommodate multiplayer (and to bounce off the success of 3DS's slightly overrated Super Mario 3D Land), stages are more linear than usual, with a clear finishing line in each of them. This makes 3D World, in a way, less deep than the likes of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but has the potential to disappoint some more hard-core exploration enthusiasts. In the same vein, the difficulty is generally toned down, with most stages not being necessarily hard. Luckily, the series's sense of creativity continues to permeate each world, making the game worthy of standing on the same pantheon as those previous classics.

Continuing this long line of impressive 3D outings for the main Super Mario series, 3D World is a testament to the game design brilliance of Nintendo. From start to finish, the game is the kind of joyous experience that keeps people coming back to the Japanese company in face of the by-the-numbers shooters and uber-realistic graphics that flood the industry these days. It's a brave set of footsteps for other companies to hopefully follow, and a reminder of why video games are so much fun in the first place.

Rating: 9.5
  85. Dec 24, 2013
    Hand's down the biggest reason to buy a WII U this year is for Super Mario 3D World. It's one of the first games I've played in awhile that has me coming back to more. It's simplistic style which focuses on unique level design and creative concepts is what pushes this games light year of ahead of others. This maybe the best Mario game to date, even bypassing Galaxies. Not one concept gets over used, and with over what appears to be 80-100 levels, there's a lot of content.

The game offers a great multiplayer experience with the urge to want to 100% this game. Posting with stamps on Mii verse is a great touch, and seeing other players "ghosts" as you play a level is much deserved.

The only downfall is it lacks some online features. The game would work perfectly if you could connect to other games. Also it could use online challenges see games like Raymen Legends )

It's clear that gameplay and level design with where all the time and money went into and it will be notice for years to come.

86. Dec 23, 2013
    Super Mario 3D World described in one word is: Perfect. The only perfect game I have ever played. This game has no flaws that I can find. The graphics are stunning, the music is phenomenal,the camera is perfect, the frame rate is hard locked at 60fps and it never even flinches, the controls are spot on, the gameplay is great, the level design is inhuman levels of good, and over all this game is the very best game I have ever played,even better than the Wind Waker. If you don't own a Nintendo Wii U this game practically begs you too buy one. If this is how next generation Nintendo games are gonna be, I'm happy to once again be on the Nintendo bandwagon, a bandwagon I haven't been in since 2006. Expand
  87. Dec 22, 2013
    mario, you never disappoint. i thought that this was gonna be super mario 3d land HD, but BOY I WS WRONG. this game is awesome. the multiplayer is crazy! the levels are different and have a gimmick that WORKS! i just love this game. if you like mario and you have a wii u, then GET THIS GAME!
  88. Dec 21, 2013
    MY GAME 2013

only the camera isnt good.

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiooooooooo*_*
  89. Dec 18, 2013
    The 3D Mario games have been consistently brilliant and innovative, and this one is no different, but this time it does do while keeping the classic 2d feel of the stages. Absolutely amazing level design and stellar controls.

The stages are mapped out typically but you can freely move around the map which allows you to look for secrets, and there are secrets. There's tons of replay
    value trying to get all the stars and stamps, and there's quite a few stages to go through. Often times playing as different characters can give you access to items. There's a ton to do, if you choose to do so.

The graphics are simply amazing and the best on wii u. There's a lot of subtle play with light and texture that brings the whole world to life. The gameplay runs at a smooth 60 fps and 1080p. It's really quite breathtaking.

This is a perfect game and shows that Nintendo is still that master of platformers. If you own a wii u you need this game. If you don't own a wii u this might be the reason to get one.
  90. Dec 18, 2013
    This game is very cool, fun, interesting, it is easy to catch onto, but the quality isnt very good. The game is more aimed at the younger generation as it is more cartoon based. It is by far the funnest Mario game in years! I would urge anyone with a Nintendo Wii to purchase this game. This is pure AAA grade Nintendo gaming. It is a perfect game for families as it can bring so many laughs and joys. Expand
  91. Dec 16, 2013
    The game is fun-but it doesn't save the progress we've made past the 4th world. It's frustrating for the kids. We will be at world 8, make absolutely sure that we have saved them game, and when we return later it's back to world 4. Anyone else have this problem? Is it a glitch? My rating reflects this:(
  92. Dec 15, 2013
    Feels like an extended 2d platformer. Barely worth calling 3d when compared to previous Mario games.

* The laging runing with the run button is one of the worst things Ive experienced in a Mario game.

* The graphics look last gen in every way possible. Not horrible, but they dont breath any inovation at all. Its good seeing nintendo in HD finally, but I would have hoped they would
    set the bar higher than the consoles that are close to 10 years old. If this is the best the console can pull off in a very narrow level, its sad to think about how limited they will be with an open world in the next zelda game.

* The only positive things is that its not set in space like the last two instalments and doesnt have the gravity function or the star collecting with the wii remote. That and the possibility to use the pro controller (at least most of the time).
  93. Dec 14, 2013
    As of writing, the WiiU is a console that continues to struggle. It's facing stiff competition from both Sony and Microsoft. On the other hand, Nintendo seems to be confident that SM3DWorld would turn the WiiU around. For those who had a WiiU, you're in for a treat. Multiplayer Mario done right? You got it. Incredible level designs? You got it. One of the best Mario since Galaxy and a true system seller for the fledging console. If only more people were aware of this game, and stop arguing about graphics....and console power. Expand
  94. Dec 14, 2013
    Gameplay gets pretty boring after the first 3 worlds. You get the cat suit in the first level and after that there is pretty much nothing new. Id be fine with same old in HD if it would copy the things the forums and fans have been asking for. You hear people ask for a "open world" type of game with lots of secrets and collecting. They give us a "semi 3d" game which seems to just add a could of inches in depth to the recent 2d releases.

Oh and the run button, with the speed increasing in bursts probably the worst idea ive seen in a while. It solved an non existing problem.

On the positive side, nintendo did pretty well considdering the hardware they used. Some levels looked pretty damn good. I cant help but think that a "true 3d" game would have been hard to make, they would probably have to lower the resolution on a lot of textures. Maybe this was the best the console could pull off, and if thats the case, i guess they did the best they could.

Last but not least, enough with the damn gamepad. The community has said what it thinks about it. Let me turn it off and go on with my pro controller. Thatd probably free a bit of processing power too, which could improve the visuals for future games.
  95. Dec 14, 2013
    This game is pure fun and I keep wanting to play it. Although fairly short to see the end, but you will want to get all the stars and stamps. It's brilliant! Worth buying a Wii U for.
  96. Dec 12, 2013
    This is the best game I have played in a long time. My 4 year old and 3 year old love it. I highly recommend this game to people of all ages! 10/10 perfection!
  97. Dec 12, 2013
    At first, i was a bit dissapointed that the next 3D Mario game wasn't Mario Galaxy 3 or something along those lines........But then i played it. ........and........it....was.........AWESOME! This game is filled with power-ups, unique mechanics, and much much more.
  98. Dec 12, 2013
    I'm a member of the original nintendo generation. Unfortunately as I got a bit older I strayed away from Nintendo and their franchises. I'm more of a pc gamer these days than anything. I never owned a gamecube, wii, 3ds, or any of the handhelds. In fact, my last nintendo system was a SNES! I decided to break that chain and purchase a Wii U. There is something very nostalgic, whimsical, and exciting about this game and the Mario Bros. franchise. I was blown away from the minute I got to the in game menu. The colors were vibrant, the music was catchy, and the gameplay was simply fun. As I progressed through the first few levels it was clear that they were starting to increase in difficulty. In fact, as one level caused me to almost "rage quit" I thought to myself, what else have I been missing?!?! Simply put this game is phenominal and is everything a 3d platformer should be. Expand
  99. Dec 11, 2013
    My sister is not a gamer. She had been able to play New Super Mario Bros. U with the rest of us so I thought she might be able to easily transition into this. It took her about 10 minutes to really get into the swing of this game and it's controls but at that point she decided to switch to a nunchuck/wiimote control setup instead of the sideways wiimote. My brother, sister, niece and I spent the next 3 hours laughing and having fun just running around enjoying the amazingness of this game. It's just incredibly fun. This is a system seller, and I am thinking of it right now actually, in about 5 minutes I am going to be switching my Wii U on and playing Super Mario 3D World. You have to play this game. And now, I must go. Expand
  100. Dec 11, 2013
    A serious perspective problem leads to way too many cheap deaths.
    In many levels based on isometric view it's simply too difficult to judge your position in the 3d space, with irritating outcomes.
    I utterly loved 3D LAND on the 3DS, but there the 3d screen really helped to judge your position. Absent the real 3d depth perception, Nintendo decided to build this game on a flawed premise.

It's a richer but inferior counterpart of the 3DS game.
  101. Nov 22, 2013
    By far the funnest Mario game in years! I urge anyone with a wii u to purchase this game. This is pure AAA grade Nintendo gaming. The local multiplayer is an absolute blast anyone can join & leave whenever. Perfect game for families or hanging out with friends. Highly recommended!

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Mario Galaxies have finally gotten the follow up they so rightfully deserve. Fun, exciting and surprising, Super Mario 3D World is everything a good platformer needs to be. [Dec 2013]
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    I'm sure some players will get a kick out of throwing each other into pits or causing chaos in a cat suit, but 3D World stands squarely in the shadow of other, greater entries in the series.
  3. Feb 12, 2014