8.9

1. Sep 20, 2013
    The original was amazing and was filled with so much adventure. The same is true for The Wind Waker HD. Also, I love being able to play this on my Wii U as the HD remake looks spectacular.
  2. Sep 21, 2013
    A really beautiful work of art. Many people were wondering how you make cel animation compatible with HD. Well here you go. They also took all the flaws of the original Wind Waker and ACTUALLY addressed them. Superb. My favorite Zelda game in a VERY long time.
  3. Sep 21, 2013
    HOW REMAKES SHOULD BE MADE.

I know nintendo shouldn't be pulling a sony by releasing a bunch of straight up remakes for a console that needs exclusives but this game is jaw dropping
  4. Sep 21, 2013
    I am so glad Nintendo decided to remake this game. I love Hero mode enemies deal twice the damage and hearts do not appear during gameplay. The only way to replenish your health is through potions an excellent challenge! Now that it's in HD and everything is fixed near the end of the story, there is absolutely NO reason for any Wii U owner not to own this game! A masterpiece. 10/10
  5. Sep 20, 2013
    Everything I disliked in this game has been replaced and now it's only a Masterpiece. After playing Skyward Sword, i can finally push a button to hit an enemy with my sword and I enjoy it!
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, was a game that USE to have two major flaws---a low difficulty level and pacing issues. With these two problems, the original game, while still fantastic, was unable to live up to the standard of its predecessors Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask... but The Wind Waker HD fixes all of these issues and allows this game to shine as the piece of artwork it was meant to be. Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2013
    When I initially saw videos of the game, especially in comparison to the original, I hated it. Everything looked too soft, too bloomed, too foggy- all the colors that made the original different and fun seemed gone.

After starting the game, I immediately knew I'd never trust another review like that again. The colors are all there and absolutely stunning when playing on the TV. (They're
    still there on the gamepad, but there are small differences that can be attributed to your individual TV settings.) To say the game is gorgeous is an understatement. You get all the things that made the original stylistically great, but even better- vibrant colors, smooth and crisp lines entities, sound and music that always fit the mood, and incredibly expressive characters (Link in particular!) make this possibly the most personable and charming of the console games.

The gameplay's as solid now as it ever has been, but the more recent tweaks included really spice things up. Travel over water is now much faster and the ocean feels far less empty. For the dungeons, puzzles, and combat, not much has changed, but that's a good thing.

What has changed MOST though is the interface and controls. At first I was sort of worried about the Wii U game pad- it looked so big and clunky, but after using it for 10 minutes I fell in love- and that was just for browsing Wii U menus! Using it in game is a real treat. You have easy access to the map and item screens without ever needing to pause or wait, and the drag and drop for items is splendid. The controller feels right in the hands- it fits well and is quite light! This ties nicely into an addition they added the 3DS, and that's motion based controllers for first person views. Want to take a picture? Activate your pictograph box and hold up your game pad! It will move with you- which is even more impressive when you're playing with the game pad only. It ties into item use as well, such as the grappling hook and others, and feels much faster than regular thumb use. The only thing missing is the ability to connect a wii-remote and use it as the Wind-Waker baton!

This game is everything I wanted it to be- a direct improvement and complete remastering of the original that takes full advantage of what makes the Wii U great. It's sold me on the console's abilities and brought me back to a delightful childhood memory that seems even better the second time around. This game is a must-buy for all Legend of Zelda fans, and all those who love good old fashioned ADVENTURE.
  8. Sep 21, 2013
    Great game before and now ....master piece. Fantastic remake, improve gameplay, BSO remaster. If you not have the original game cube this game is a must have.
  9. Sep 22, 2013
    Simplemente es perfecto, es adictivo y puedes visitar muchas islas y encontrar muchos tesoros en el mar. sus graficos son excelentes, aunque nunca se debe juzgar a un juego por sou graficos.
    El mejor juego de Wii U hasta la fecha.
    Es diferente a otros Zeldas, ademas que los personajes son Toon, tambien son otros y la historia cambia bastante
  10. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never played the original (I never owned a GC), but after watching a lot of footage and comparisons between the two versions, I can wholeheartedly say that an amazing remake. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD goes above and beyond what most remakes these days do.

The most obvious point (considering that this IS an HD remake) is the graphics. Most remakes simply upscale the resolution to 720p and fiddle with lighting, edges, etc. to make the game look a bit cleaner. Wind Waker HD has many of its animations and environments completely rebuilt to look good in Native 1080p, and the game really looks like it was built for the Wii U. For a game with a more cartoonish art style like Wind Waker, the improvement may be obvious, but if you look at the details and backgrounds, you'll see the magnitude of the difference.

In addition, Wind Waker HD smartly improves on a key aspect of the game that ruined it for some people back when it was originally released in 2002 it speeds up the sailing. Much of the original game was centered around travelling over the vast sea that made up the overworld. While this really accentuated the game's focus on open-world adventure and was a technical marvel for the time, many found the sailing to be too slow. This was made worse by the fact that you a to manually change the wind direction every time you wanted to turn your boat, which made navigating the overworld very tedious at times. With a new item called the Swift Sail, Link's boat moves much faster and automatically changes the wind direction to the direction you're facing when you activate it. It's a huge improvement.

There are also a plethora of minor improvements that add up. Your inventory is continually displayed on the Gamepad, so you won't have to pause the game when you want to equip or look at items (though you can if you want). You can now aim in first-person for some items, and re-listen to hints given by fish you meet at sea whenever you want. Also notable is the added Miiverse functionality, where posts from Nintendo's new forum, randomly appear all over the world. This doesn't really improve gameplay, but can serve as a fun distraction from the main quest and is probably the best integration of Miiverse I've seen yet.

Despite the improvements made, there are a couple of things that might serve to turn some people off from picking this game up. First the lack of any real additional content. Many cite that it was said in a developer interview that a couple of dungeons were left out of the final game. However, these dungeons were already used in later Zelda games like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. But the problem still remains: there's no new additional content. Remakes like Link's Awakening DX and A Link to the Past & Four Swords added additional content; the former added a new dungeon and the latter added a short game. Though Wind Waker feels complete as it is, additional content could really serve as an incentive for people to buy the game. More minor but worth noting is that Wind Waker loses a bit of its cartoonish feel in the jump to HD, though this can more attributed to the technology than to the developers. Still some may not like the changes.

All in all, The Waker HD is an excellent remake. It improves on almost every aspect of the original while adding a couple of things as well. A little extra content would be appreciated, and the original loses some of its visual appeal, but that doesn't stop this from being a fantastic remake. If you really aren't that interested in remakes or really can't take to the visual changes, then you probably won't be sold on this game. However, If you never played Wind Waker before or want to play the game how it was meant to be experienced, then this game is absolute must-have for you.
  11. Oct 7, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game back when it came out on the GameCube. I completed it and it was an extremely fun game. But now that I have it for the Wii U, let me say "WOW". This is a lot better than I was expecting! The graphics are outstanding, the gameplay using the Wii U gamepad is perfect, and playing in hero mode is a wonderful challenge! Already I have hit the "GAME OVER" screen 3 times, and this is a very good thing because I don't think I ever did that with the easy GameCube version. Everything is polished to perfection if you are on the fence, get a Wii U just for this game and the many great games that are coming out soon. Long live the Legend! Expand
  12. Oct 2, 2013
    This remake is a must have for anyone with a Wii U, no matter if you already played the original or not.
    So, just go buy this amazing game now people.
  13. Sep 29, 2013
    One of the finest adventure games tweaked and remastered make this a no-brainer for Wind Waker newcomers and a fantastic nostalgia ride as well. Pleasantly surprised that this game is the best gaming experience that I have had this year.
  14. Oct 22, 2013
    The Windwaker HD has definitely set the bar for modern remakes of classic games. The controls are as smooth as ever, graphics are in brilliant 1080p, and the touch pad adds a nice element to tie it all together. The story and characters are among the best in the Zelda series, bosses are challenging. It is so much fun exploring the massive open-world and discovering new islands. In my opinion this game is the first real reason to buy a wii-u. An experience you cannot find any where else. Expand
  15. Sep 24, 2013
    The game is amazing and the updated visuals assures that this game will remain as one of the most beautiful for another decade. Hero Mode really adds to the challenge the game is much better with Hero Mode active. Can't give it anything less than a 10.

The adventure is filled with things to do, treasures to hunt, places to reach, and a beautiful ocean to set sail on.
  16. LHy
    Sep 29, 2013
    Love it so much, wish they would transfer to PC for a bigger market though. Other than that, the mechanics were really smooth and the world was not only bright and colorful but full of mystery and challenges, I highly recommend this game, get it!
  17. Oct 30, 2013
    The definite version of one of the greatest games of all time. A classic game that will be forever a gem in the nintendo gallery. A must-have game for everyone.
  18. Nov 4, 2013
    I loved the original game because it was pretty much not stop action. This one is basically the same but the graphics blow you into another universe. Goes without saying: Wii U has superior controls!
  19. Oct 2, 2013
    This is everything a remake should be. It keeps the entire essence of the original while at the same time fixing so many of the problems that the original did have. It didn't try to distance itself too far, but it also improved on itself. This is as perfectly as a remake really can be done.
  20. Sep 30, 2013
    Excellent game. Never play the first one, so this one was a whole new experience. I'm glad I got to play it in HD my first time, it is just beautiful. Many people criticize that Nintendo should make brand new games instea of bringing back old games to life. People who own a WII U today are probably not the same people who owed a Game Cube 10 years ago. People seriously need to think before they speak. Collapse
  21. Nov 6, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda is my all-time favorite video game series, and The Wind Waker is my favorite entry in that series. I have so many wonderful memories of the original, and to play WWHD now is such a delight. The visuals have been upgraded wonderfully. There are tons of refinements to the overall experience, and they fixed some of the biggest flaws that kept the original GameCube version from attaining the status of perfection other Zelda titles have attained. Now, with WWHD, this is a caveat-free masterpiece I'd heartily place alongside the greats like ALttP, OoT, Link's Awakening, etc. This is what remakes should be. I love it! Expand
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    Playing the HD remake makes me feel so old! I enjoyed the original, but have enjoyed this more. The mechanics feel a lot better then they did on the Game Cube, add in HD and you've got yourself a 10/10 remake.
  23. Oct 27, 2013
    It's hard to pinpoint favorites in a franchise as storied as The Legend of Zelda, but I think The Wind Waker HD just might be it for me. This is a delightful experience from start to finish; one which miraculously manages to capture everything that makes Zelda games great, while adding new ideas and avoiding pretty much all of the pitfalls.

The cel-shaded graphics, which were full of
    personality to begin with, look positively stunning in HD. More than once I stopped playing for a few moments just to gaze with awe at the gorgeous 3D cartoonish sceneries. I've seen people complaining about how one detail or another doesn't look quite as good as the Gamecube version, but I call shenanigans: the lighting is better, the colors are more vibrant, everything looks just the way it should.

The game is set on the Great Sea, which is littered by islands of all types and sizes. At first, navigation is achieved mainly through the Wind Waker, a maestro's baton that controls the winds. Soon, however, savvy players will come across a special sail that is not only faster, but dispenses the use of the Wind Waker altogether, which makes exploration even more delightful. The storyline is very poignant; a nice surprise, since Zelda games tend to repeat themselves in this regard. I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say that there's a tragic story behing the Great Sea and its people.

The gameplay is as tight as it gets, with a fluid combat system and amazing controls for Link's inevitable arsenal of weapons (the gamepad's gyroscope, for example, lets you aim by simply tilting the controller to one side or another). The dungeons are just the right size, offering plenty of challenges but always stopping short of becoming tedious. No longer will you have to suffer through chores like Ocarina of Time's Water Temple, for example.

The sidequests follow suit. In fact, the deviations from the main storyline here might just be the best the series has ever had. One of the game's most enduring sidequests tasks you to use the pictobox (this world's version of a photo camera) to take pictures of every single character you find, including townsfolk, allies, enemies, and bosses. Those pictures can then be transformed into figurines, which will fill several thematic rooms in one of the game's islands. If you're the collector type (like myself), you'll taste a little bit of heaven every time you come across a new character or a new breed of enemy.

Finally, the game's use of the Miiverse, Nintendo's exclusive social media, is the best I've ever seen. Once you get an item called the Tingle Bottle, you get to send messages-in-a-bottle that will then be found (and hopefully replied) by other people playing the game. Your letters can contain words, pictures, and drawings, and the fun is exponentially extended by simply hunting down bottles to interact with fellow players.

I keep wanting to further defy brevity by talking about numerous other assorted details, which should tell you just how impressed I am. Boasting insane levels of personality and a vast world filled to the brim with secrets, The Wind Waker HD shows that the little Gamecube title that could is, in fact, a timeless classic.

Rating: 10.0
  24. Nov 5, 2013
    The only Zelda I never played was Wind Waker and now I get to play it like this in HD. Having completed all the Zelda games and being about 80% complete with this one I can say it is my favorite. The game looks beautiful and plays like a zelda game.
  25. Nov 10, 2013
    The remake of this brilliant game looks absolutely spectacular. This isn't the Zelda game I would have picked for an hd remake (Majora's Mask needs it) but I love it anyway
  26. Oct 15, 2013
    What I don't get is why this will score lower than the original ethane though it is improved on a lot of graphics to make it seem more immersive and captivating still they are both on of the best games... period.
  27. Sep 23, 2013
    One of the greatest action/adventure games of all time back in HD, not only that but they listened to the complaints that some said about the original(i.e. sailing is boring, so they added the fastest sail). While the miiverse is kinda of annoying it's not enough to ruin the experience and there is probably a setting to turn that off somewhere.
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    Gorgeous, perfect. The pacing tweaks and gamepad functionality are greatly appreciated. The gameplay is timeless and the game features one of the best Zelda storylines.
  29. Sep 24, 2013
    Prefect Just Perfect, My favorite game of all time in HD revamped, its even better than before!
    Looks good on the TV looks good on the Gamepad 10/10 gameplay!
  30. Sep 27, 2013
    It's worth note that I never finished Wind Waker on the Gamecube. Despite being a devoted fan of the rest of the series, Wind Waker did not hold my attention through the long bouts of sailing and some z-targeting issues despite the fact that I loved the cell shaded style. So, how do I go from not even finishing a game to giving it a 10/10?

The gamepad. Every complaint I have with this
    game is immediately resolved by the gamepad. Your inventory, the save button, your map, tingle bottle messages, all of it is right there in front of you on the gamepad. This streamlines the process of trudging through dungeons or crossing the sea.

Visually, the game is a delight. If you turn up the volume, you'll also note that the music has been re-recorded by what sounds like a live orchestra. The story is pretty familiar if you have played any Zelda game in the past, but it does the trick. Controls are solid and while the pro control can be used for this tile, I can't imagine doing so when the gamepad adds so much.

Finally, the online community. The camera item you receive, in a genius move by Nintendo, allows you to take "selfies" of Link. This has led to a large number of Link "selfies" being shared over the miiverse by players usually accompanied by amusing taglines. This makes the message in a bottle system in the game half the fun of playing the game.

td;lr Wind Waker for the Gamecube was low on my list of favorite Zelda titles. The HD re-release ranks up with Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time, no question. If you have been holding off on buying a Wii U until THE game comes out for it, this is THE game.
  31. Sep 27, 2013
    WOW! The game looks beautiful. It sounds beautiful. It plays beautiful..ly. This classic feels modern and has been a whole lot of fun. One of the few games that absolutely deserves a 10/10. I was a bit reluctant about the "bloom" effect because it looks like way too much in all the screenshots, but in game I don't notice. Everything looks just right.
  32. Sep 29, 2013
    Great game, if you played the original on gc you can consider the idea of ​​not buying it, otherwise this is a great opportunity to play this fantastic game!
  33. Oct 4, 2013
    This isn't just a simple HD port, this is a game that has been lovingly remastered to improve on almost every aspect of the original. There's no reason not to experience this game again.
  34. Oct 20, 2013
    As an Original Gamecube owner (that's right, O.G. status here, holla) I can say when I got Wind Waker and threw it in expecting a childish experience and a tried and true yet slightly boring system, what I got in return was a visual, emotional, and most importantly awe inspiring slap in the face from the Great Glory that is known as Zelda: Wind Waker. I loved it back then, and obviously, that would entail that I would love an HD remake.

That being said, the Wii U version takes that "slap" in the face I got, reinforces it with titanium/carbon fiber mesh, attach atomic rocket boots to it and adds a giant balls-kicking device. The visuals are flat out unbelievable, even if you are not a fan of cel-shaded games, you will be delightfully impressed with what appears to be almost next-gen graphics and effecs. There isn't a single thing that hasn't been re-done, so you are looking at the beautiful island in full-on arse kicking awesomemode.

GAMEPLAY:
    I feel like saying anything about the gameplay would be redundant, but the one thing I will say is the game controls don't just transfer perfectly to the Wii U/Wii controllers, but if you are using a GamePad as the controller (which, im assuming 99.7% are) it has actually vastly IMRPOVED on the control scheme. Items are at the touch of a button, everything is super accessible and you'll be surprised at the amount of work they put in just on modifying the control scheme/gameplay around the GamePad at all.

SOUND:
    Obligatory "OMG the sound has been WONDERFULLY redone!"

VERDICT:

This game is GLORIOUS.
    This has is PERFECT
    This game is GAMING on another level.
    This is an EXPERIENCE you will never forget.

Take those four capitalized words and you got the truth.

TL;DR yes, but, truth.
  35. Nov 3, 2013
    LoZ WW is amazing!!The graphics are better then the gamecube.Gameplay is still great and the music is still awesome.Like I waited for awhile till this came out and its still as fun as I remember.The game is so colourful and bright....but it can be dark and kinda creepy.You have a huge sea to explore like get it.Its awesome.
  36. Nov 6, 2013
    This games has brought back many happy memories of the simple days of gaming.

Both my young children absolutely love it. Even my Wii U hating Sony chipped friend admitted it looked good, sounded great and played well.

Great job Nintendo please please follow this with more great HD classics.
  37. Dec 11, 2013
    This game is an instant classic. I played it on GameCube and have not touched it since but have been simply blown away by the gorgeous HD graphics. I cannot wait to see what else Nintendo does with Zelda in HD.
  38. Dec 14, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is just one of those games that bursts with adventure. This is by far the best Legend of Zelda game I have ever played. If you get this game, it will be extremely hard to put it down. Since this is my first game review on here... I may have gotten the Review Score wrong. If I did. I meant to put a 10!
  39. Apr 13, 2014
    I Don't consider myself as one of the best reviewers, but come on? People giving this game a 3 and such ridiculous scores, is well, ridiculous. I read an interesting review about someone saying the game belongs in 2002 and he proceeded to give it a 3. Wait just a second......Since when did the creators say it was anything but a HD version of the original game, with a few extras? The answer is...Never!

Miyamoto himself stated, it was just something to tick people over, until the release of the next proper Zelda game in the franchise. It was never meant to be a "Remake" or a completely new Wind Waker. It was just solely meant to be a HD version of the original, nothing more.

Now that's out of the way. What's the game like? Well, as usual, it's nothing short of amazing. The game in 2002 was amazing, and the game now is also amazing. I could finish it over and over, and I proceeded to do so, even with the original.

The graphics are amazing. I don't know if people realize this, but it's actual the first Zelda game to ever have such amazing graphics. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's the first ever Zelda game to be in HD. Sure it's a beautiful game to look at, but graphics don't quite make a game, do they? But, with that said, it truly is a masterpiece, graphics, story, length, gameplay. It's all got it, just like the original.

What's the downside? Every game has a down side, whether you accept it or not. It's difficult to think of one for this, besides I'm sure the down sides will be exactly the same as the original, so I won't even get into them, but I will say. It is nothing more than a HD version of the original. It's definitely a must to buy for any Zelda fan, but if you're happy with the original, don't expect for HD to bring anything new to the table, besides a few extra in game things and a small proportion of online activity. If you weren't too fussed with the original, you won't be too fussed with this one.

All in all, majority of Zelda games are amazing as usual, to me this game and I'm sure many others agree, definitely deserves a 9.
  40. Feb 4, 2014
    The original WW was already beautiful, and the HD remake builds up on it so much, it's almost staggering. Other than that, it's the same great game that came out on the Gamecube. The addition of Miiverse features makes sailing more entertaining - I love collecting up bottles.
  41. LBC
    Oct 31, 2013
    All of the biggest flaws from the original game have been nicely ironed out. The best improvement in my opinion is the revamped aiming system. Now you can walk around in first person view while aiming and you can even use the gyroscope to fine-tune your shots; a welcome addition indeed! If you missed out on Wind Waker the first time around, now is your chance to experience a true masterpiece.
  42. Dec 3, 2013
    Windwaker for Gamecube was my favorite Zelda. WIndwaker HD for Wii U takes every complaint about the original and makes it a superb adventure game. The graphics are sharper than any Zelda to date. If you own a Wii U you must own this game despite whether you have played it before or not.
  43. Oct 3, 2013
    One of the best games ever made and now in HD with hero mode. That enough has me sold. Throw in gameplay tweaks and off tv play, and I believe this is exactly what we need while waiting for zelda wiiu!
  44. Nov 27, 2013
    The legend of zelda wind waker was a classic on the gamecube that was under appreciated because of its art direction,however, i was not among those who looked down on this masterpiece. Instead i gave it a try and what i discovered was an amazing game! Enter wind waker reborn on the wii u. This game is simply amazing. Everthing has been redon and refined into an almost complete package! The gameplay is simple,yet enenthralling,the graphics rival an animated movie! Its everything you loved about wind waker on the gamecube plus more! The gamepad works very well with wind waker making item and weapon management a breeze. The only hiccup i have with this game is the sailing,itcan get rather tedious after awhile but dammint the ocean looks aabsolutely marvelous so there a silver lining. This game was made for nintendo fans so don't pass this classic up! 9/10 Expand
  45. Nov 23, 2013
    The Wind Waker has always been one of the true greats from Nintendo's frankly wonderful Zelda franchise, but now it's something even more...it's the Wii U's first genuine system seller and it's an absolute belter!

Indeed, Wind Waker HD is as perfect a game as you're ever likely to find, and whether you're a Wii U owner or not, it is utterly essential.
  46. Nov 2, 2013
    An absolutely fantastic game. This is one of the best looking Nintendo games to date and one of the best looking games this year. Wind Waker is the highlight of the LoZ series and the updated graphics make the experience even better. My only issues in the game are on some of Link's animations. Some of them look very stiff and don't seem updated from the Gamecube version. I would have preferred smoother animations there. Expand
  47. Oct 16, 2013
    I never played the original but I am loving this game. The graphics look great for a remake but are still showing their age in some places (NPC character models are rough in some places you can tell that the main characters had a lot more time spent on them). A huge world to explore but the pacing of the campaign is so consistent and fun that you may forget to explore while catapulting yourself towards your next goal. Countless charming characters and an unforgettable storyline make this one of my favorite entries in the series. a must own for Zelda fans but perhaps a bit pricey for ppl who are still on the fence ($50 is pretty steep for a remake). The "message in a bottle" MiiVerse functionality is fun and well implemented. Also, the selfie pics can be a lot of fun (see linkstagram on twitter). Expand
  48. Jan 27, 2014
    This is hands down the best HD remake of any game I have ever played. The cell shaded goodness will warm your heart. The Wii U gamepad support for this game is great and the game sound is stellar. The original game was actually pretty hard to beat due to the slow sailing and finding of the Triforce shards. But they fixed this problem and I was actually able to beat this game for the first time since I played it on the Gamecube. Awesome game you won't be disapointed. I have noticed all the 10 this game has. It was very close but I did not achieve "total immersion" for me to give it a 10. Expand
  49. Mar 5, 2014
    As I was playing through The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, I thought that it was all a bit too easy. Like it was just me just going through the motions. Which was fine, but I felt like it was lacking that something special. But the further I got through the game, the more I realised I couldn't have been more wrong. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a phenomenal game with its classic Zelda patterns involving a tonne of puzzles and loads of combat. It's that gentle mix of linear and open, making it alluring for those who love a good story as well as those who love to roam around. Although there is a little bit of hand-holding at times, it is generally only in times when the next step isn't so clear. As such, this did not detract from the quality of the adventure in the least. The Wind Waker HD offers many different objectives and side quests, from gathering pigs to taming seagulls to winning auctions. And every character is just bursting with flavour and personality, courtesy of the cel-shaded art style. I have played only two Zelda games prior to this one: Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword. These two and The Wind Waker HD have that elaborate adventure that binds the player to the environments with its great authenticity and depth. And its my personal opinion that The Wind Waker HD does this the best of the three. Nothing really compares to venturing on the sea like a pirate, searching for loot and invaluable objects. If a single fibre of your being is even curious about what The Wind Waker HD has to offer, buy a copy of it immediately. There is seriously no adventure like a Zelda adventure, and you will not regret getting it. Expand
  50. Mar 6, 2014
    Still holds up better than 90% of everything released today. The HD and the little refinements are just the gravy on top. Could have used an inverted camera for 3rd person and shifting wind directions can be annoying at times, but that is all I can really hammer it for. Now gimme a brand new Zelda, Nintendo.
  51. Jan 27, 2014
    If you didn't play this on GameCube, now's your chance. No other game comes close to the sense of adventure this one gives while sailing the vast seas. The graphics are superb and the gameplay hasn't aged at all. One of the best games of all time just got better. 10/10
  52. Oct 21, 2013
    The Wind Waker is a great game. The HD updated graphics, added gamepad features (easily accessible menus), and small tweaks to gameplay all make this Nintendo classic even better. I highly recommend this game to all Wii U owners, it is a must-buy for anyone who missed the original, and a worthy purchase for those of you (like me) who played it a decade ago.
  53. Nov 2, 2013
    There’s nothing quite like the slick sailing of the Great Sea’s vast waters, the scream of a defeated Moblin or the charming toon graphic style of the Wind Waker, and this HD remake enhances everything you loved about the original yet further. What’s so admirable about Nintendo’s effort here is that beyond the HD treatment, there is still so much they have done to improve Link’s sixth-generation adventure and add so much more to it than was there before.
    The most obvious enhancement of the Wind Waker is the HD. What looked great originally is not only improved but given more life. The character and enemy models and the landscapes look so much more 3D and full of life and personality. Upon approaching Windfall Island from the distance you’ll be amazed how much HD has benefited the game. Admittedly, some of it looks stuck in the past but problems in the visuals are rare. Of course, the reason the toon style was originally chosen was because of the fantastic way it brought across the atmosphere and characters’ expressions. The impressionist style makes the enemies look spectacular and interesting: Moblins are easily recognisable as stupid, for example.
    The music, needless to say, is excellent.
    Meanwhile, the story is simple but effective, and for once actually Ganon’s evil attentions are something you can sympathise with, not just a thirst for power and control.
    For anyone who hasn’t played a Zelda game before, it is a mix of puzzles, combat and exploration. As in any other Zelda game, the Wind Waker features multiple dungeons, maze-like puzzle areas littered with cleverly placed enemies. The dungeons are always cleverly worked into the plot of the game. Needless to say, the Wind Waker’s dungeons are intricate, genius and great fun. The puzzles are challenging and often get you stuck. The Wind Waker has an excellent combat system, perhaps the best of all Zeldas except for Skyward Sword’s revolutionary sword-swinging. The target lock system Zeldas are praised for makes a big difference in making combat as strategic as possible without ever being unfair.
    The exploration outside of dungeons is a big part of Zelda too, and what a world to explore the Great Sea is. Nearly fifty islands, all with different characters, secrets and landscapes, litter the Great Sea. There are many side quests for rewards such as pieces of heart, treasure charts and more, and are more than enough to keep the hardcore 100% completionist occupied. Side quests included, the Wind Waker is a good solid thirty hours of gameplay at least, obviously quicker for those who played the original.
    Beyond the HD refinement, this remake does much, much more. There is a new mode, hero mode like in Skyward Sword- enemies do double damage and you can’t find hearts in plants or pots. For those who complained of Wind Waker being easy, which it is a bit, hero mode is an excellent challenge, perfect for people who completed the original and also great for newcomers to Wind Waker looking for a challenge. It’s no master quest like Ocarina of Time’s remake included (which is a shame) but I appreciate its inclusion nonetheless.
    Another improvement is the Swift Sail, which increases the speed of your boat. Some gamers complained of sailing getting slow and tedious after a while. This was of course due to the gamecube’s slower processing power, but because the wii u is much more powerful, sailing is faster, smoother, and a whole lot of fun. It really adds to the exploration element of the adventure.
    Also, the Triforce quest towards the end of the game has been streamlined. Originally, this had required the player to go sailing about the Great Sea using a map to locate the eight shards of the broken Triforce of Courage and get all eight from under the water. This was very tedious and took a possible hour to do, really damaging the pace of the game. But this has been streamlined so that five of the eight are found in mini-dungeons on certain islands, leaving only three to be found in the sea. This really is a great improvement and has changed the Triforce quest from being a lowlight of the game to, for me, being one the highlights. It’s disappointing that most of the mini-dungeons are only composed of just lots of rooms, each full with enemies, with no puzzles. But they are fun challenges regardless of that.
    And wii u integration. Now, your inventory of items and the map of the area or dungeon you’re in are all on the gamepad, meaning faster, easier access to everything without needing to pause the game every time you want to see your inventory or map. As well as this, you can aim projectile items using the Gamepad’s motion sensing, allowing for improved precision. Also is miiverse integration.
    The Wind Waker HD goes the extra mile to make an awesome game even more awesome. If you played the original you simply must get this to experience the game in a new way. If you haven’t played the original, you have an even greater need to play one of the greatest games ever.
  54. Dec 3, 2013
    Even though The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a remake, it feels as if it was made for the Wii U system. The controls are perfect and throughout my 40 hour long adventure I barely experienced a hiccup in the control scheme. With the Wii U gamepad’s gyroscope feature you can now aim your bow, hookshot and grappling hook using motion controls and it feels very natural.
    Wind Waker is
    often praised for excellent combat and quite rightly so. Slashing Moblins and stabbing Bobkoblins has never been more fun. But it’s not all just about good controls and challenging AIs that make fighting monsters as fun as it is when in battle with an enemy every hit of your sword emits a musical note which really adds to the epic and immersive combat system Wind Waker HD has to offer.

The art-style of this certain adventure was a brave move from Nintendo and is one they have never regretted and never should, although some potential customers may have been scared away by the cartoony graphics. This original game on the Gamecube is beautiful and the art-style has aged better than any other game to this date, but the graphical improvements made in this HD remake make what is already amazing into something extraordinary. I have never played a game so beautiful in my life. The textures have obviously been updated into HD (hence the title) but more importantly the lighting has added a whole new dimension to this game which adds wonderfully to the distinct atmosphere created by the vastness of the world, the many islands, the characters and every single one of them on every single island in the entire game’s backstory which is woven throughout dialogue and actions made by not just the characters themselves, but everyone around them. Nintendo has obviously put a lot of work into the adventure-filled world of flooded Hyrule and it is truly magical.
    Nintendo’s storytelling is known to be amazing and masterful and Wind Waker is no expeception. Infact, Wind Waker’s story is one of their very highly-acclaimed ones. Wind Waker is not afraid to shake things up a bit so things feel familiar yet fresh and new. There is not I can say about it without spoiling the experience for you except it is one of the best stories in a video game ever and it will stick with you after all the adventuring is done. Trust me, it’s amazing.
    The Zelda series has without doubt the best music of any video games and Wind Waker certainely doesn’t drop that trend. In fact, Wind Waker had the best music of them all. Koji Kondo’s breathtaking soundtrack will make you laugh, cry and everything in between. In this HD upgrade Nintendo has left the soundtrack untouched apart except sound is now of higher definition and I can assure you will be humming along as soon as you hear it.

The Verdict
    Wind Waker is not just a game, but an amazing experience with a hooking story which will stay with you forever, fantastic gameplay you will never get bored of, breathtaking music that you’ll never forget, and beautiful world to explore. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is the definition of what Zelda is truly about; Adventure!
  55. Jan 27, 2014
    Wind Waker is a good game, but this remake felt a bit... Off.
    There are barely any changes at all, I was expecting smoother transition between cutscenes, as well as cutscenes that were less dramatic as they should've been.
    Graphics are good, but there are still little problems that bug me, such as when the player uses the swift sail, the boat will rock up and down more, which causes
    water to 'go through' the bottom of the boat, and that just looked sloppy.
    That aside, Wind Waker is a great game which can be both relaxing and demanding, it's not so hard that I rage at my controller, and it's not quite a pushover either.
  56. Oct 30, 2013
    There's not much i could say that hasn't already been said about this fantastic game. The Wind Waker is one of the strongest and most epic titles to ever be released under the Zelda name. The HD graphics are absolutely stunning and make navigating the great sea a true pleasure. The new "note in a bottle" system is fun and charming and a good replacement for the tingle tuner. One thing that bothers me though is the controls don't translate from the game cube to the wii U that well so they take a bit to get used to. But if you can look past this minor flaw you will enjoy a truly classic game. Expand
  57. Nov 19, 2013
    One of the only actual "HD" remakes that shows actual graphical improvement, game was still great and fun minor tweaks such as the quick sail and the changes to the Triforce shard collection make the game better than the original. Much HD, Such Wow.
  58. Oct 8, 2013
    this is the best game i might buy this game with the wiiu in 2 more weeks. this is the best because it comes with full download of the book,Hyrule Historia
  59. Oct 13, 2013
    Just a great game, with lots of content and beautiful colorful visuals.

The graphics are fresh, and the gameplay is excellent. The use of the GamePad really makes the game more enjoyable.

TEN OUT OF TEN.
  60. Oct 17, 2013
    Zelda wind waker HD is an amazing remake of a brilliant game the graphics gameplay presentation and replay value are nearly perfect Exploring the world to save zelda and aryll is incredible it's easy to pick up and play it's a lot of fun and I recommend it to everyone
  61. Oct 18, 2013
    zelda wind waker is one of the best Zelda games ever created, the original game for the gamecube was already fantastic gameplay, grafics and story now on WiiU zelda still impeccable, everything in the gameis very impressive
    nintendo once again surprising everyone
    you need to buy this game
  62. Oct 18, 2013
    The lip animation in this remake has improved since the Game Cube version. I can tell the developers put a lot of time and effort into their lip animation.
  63. Oct 31, 2013
    Lançado originalmente no Game Cube, este zelda foi um divisor de águas. Com uma direção gráfica magnífica (que infelizmente não agradou a grande maioria na época) e uma das histórias mais fantásticas que já tive o prazer de jogar, Zelda Wind Waker retorna, após uma década, ao Wii U, totalmente remasterizado.
    A Nintendo adicionou texturas, melhorou a qualidade sonora, incluiu algumas novas
    mecânicas e retirou parte do jogo que o deixava maçante (a enfadonha tarefa de coletar as peças da triforce).
    Com elementos já conhecidos da série, este zelda vem para preencher o espaço vazio e dar tempo para que a equipe do sr.Eiji Aonuma lance o "Zelda Wii U".
    Não há muito o que falar sobre este zelda, pois apesar das mudanças, ele em sua essência, o mesmo jogo lançado a 10 anos atrás.
    Titulo mais que obrigatório para os donos do Wii U e amantes de uma boa aventura.
  64. Mar 16, 2014
    This improves on the original in every way. The original was already worth AT LEAST a 9, so it follows that this is a 10. I couldn't ask for a better remake of a classic Zelda adventure. Everyone should get an opportunity to play this game, even if you've never played a Zelda game in your life.

Like an LoZ game, there is a huge amount of bang for your buck. This game will last many
    hours, and while it isn't perfect, it gets about as close as you can get. Expand
  65. Nov 17, 2013
    This is a another great entry in the Zelda series and even though it is a remake, it is a great game that gives younger players a chance to play one of the most controversial Zelda games of all time and experience its toon style remastered. I am 31 hrs through the game and it is a great experience. The music is some of the best of the Zelda series and the story is great as it feels like Link grows in confidence as you grow. It is a beautiful game with a stunning open world Ocean and although fewer than other entries in the series, still great characters. I would recommend this to anyone who did not get to play the Wind Waker the first time round to get this game. Expand
  66. Mar 25, 2014
    like alot of people i did not like Wind Waker when it was new, the art style bothered me and i had a hunger for a more mature HD zelda game after my taste of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. But now i'm older, and my eyes are opened to the greatness of this game. It has a great plot with lots of twists and turns that will leave you on the edge of your seat, a beautiful HD world to sail through, the countless enemies you'll encounter and defeat throughout your journey, and a nostalgia factor to the MAX. To be honest, other than not having a mini-map on the screen i dont have much to complain about this game. Expand
  67. Nov 18, 2013
    When I got to play this again, it brought back warm memories. This game is almost as good as OOT in my opinion. It is even better with graphics, but it does not really matter because I am so happy to see these characters again. For gamers new to Zelda, you should get this game as soon as possible. I love how the games were always tough to beat, and the game is long yet entertaining. Also, as you go along, you improve your skill in accuracy and awareness.F.F.O.Z, Forever Fan of Zelda. Welcome to the club. Expand
  68. Nov 24, 2013
    What can I say about this game.... I mean its a freakin zelda game!!! When has this franchise ever done anybody wrong? Windwaker was a great game on gamecube, so there's not much of a difference there on Wii U. There is less quest for triforce shards and they changed up the pictobox to make it less tasking. For those who have never played it, I would say this is a must. I remember when this was on gamecube and I was very disgusted at first by its toonie graphics mainly because I was expecting a Zelda game that had graphics to where it looked like Lord of the rings. You know what? I learned a valuable lesson in that game to not judge a game by its graphics because that game was the most fun in a Zelda game in a long while.

Only reason I give this a 9 is because its an HD remake not a new Zelda game and its also not the HD remake I was hoping for. I honestly believed Majora's Mask was the HD remake with all the videos on youtube which was the main reason I wanted a Wii u, but you know what I understand why they remade windwaker.

Its the most non-linear Zelda to play, so they wanted to test the grounds with a big open world and communicate with players with tingle bottles to get a jist of what Zelda fans are wanting new in the series. Windwaker has the largest map out of all the zelda games.

So I will say yes this game before was good and this one is good too. In fact this is only the tip of the Iceberg of the Zelda upcomming in the future. So after you beat this I'll guarantee it'll get you more pumped for the newest one coming out
  69. Nov 21, 2013
    I remember playing Legend of Zelda back in the day when it came out. I never did get very far, but I understood the appeal. I then tried Twilight Princess and liked that a lot too. I again...never was able to play to even halfway through. I bought this WindWaker HD bundle because I never got to play the original and heard it was great. Let me tell you, this game blows it out of the water...no pun intended. I mean, it is gorgeous, the story is strong, and the puzzles can be very challenging. I love it! If I was going to suggest a Zelda game..especially to a beginner like me, it would be this one. It's easily one of the coolest games I have ever played. It's as strong as Mario Galaxy and that I feel might be the best game ever. Expand
  70. Nov 26, 2013
    Amazing graphics fun gameplay................................................................................................................................
  71. Jan 6, 2014
    So much fun great throwback to the original and it stays true to the original game while slightly Improving the mechanics
    While incorporating the wii u remotes second screen as a inventory allowing smooth swapping of items in fights with great sword mechanics best of any of the Zelda games and brilliant boss fights with a game that does require lots of open world exploration and it may at
    some points require a walkthrough to complete.
    But just in case you find it too easy still there is a hero mode with double damage and no recovery hearts.
    Great game definitely recommend
  72. Dec 25, 2013
    //French//
    C'est tout simplement le meilleur jeux auquel j'ai jamais jouer, et chaque fois que j'y retourne, c'est un pur bonheur et c'est encore mieux avec la version HD. Le remake remet jour les graphismes et l'interface, mais sans rien dénaturer aux textures de la version originale et que dire des bandes-son! 10/10 amplement mérité et je dois dire que c'est ce jeu qui m'a fait
    acheter (avec regret) la WiiU Expand
  73. Dec 29, 2013
    Wind Waker is one of the best games of all time. The story is touching, the characters are memorable, the game play is addictive, and it's so replay-able. There's tons to do in Zelda's literal biggest over-world, the dungeons are huge, the bosses are the best, and the items all get their love and care. This is easily a console seller. The graphics, by the way, are the best on the GameCube and are great on the Wii U. Buy this game. If it were $100 more, it'd still be well worth the money. Expand
  74. Jan 7, 2014
    Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game to date, so when I heard they were remaking this game in HD, you couldn't imagine how happy I was.
    this is definitely how a remake SHOULD be done, the new features and controls are much smoother and definitely improve upon what made the original tedious or annoying. the new swift sail is the savior to those who get bored of the long sailing times and
    the unnecessarily huge amount of times you'd have to change wind direction with the Wind Waker. The tingle bottle feature is just as amazing as well. I always had a hard time filling up the Nintendo figurine gallery in the game, due to missing some bosses and whatnot, but this feature helped fix that this time around. And besides that, it's also useful for hints and tips, or to just be silly.
    The new gyroscope feature used for the arrows and boomerang was pretty useful to me as well, since using the other analog stick felt somewhat odd.

Although I'm not one much for graphics, this game is just stunning with the HD upgrade. Proof that even cartoony cell shading styles can be stunning.
    Besides that, the game still feels the same, but at the same time it doesn't, the magic is back in a new way. If you're a Zelda fan and loved the Wind Waker, this would be worth a pick up!
  75. PMG
    Jan 25, 2014
    I love this game! The art style allows the characters to show off so much color, the swift sail is a must have and the use of the Game pad speeds up the pace of the game. Plus the shortening of the Triforce hunt saved us from some of the worst hours of the game. Dispite what people might say, i think this is one of the best games ever made.
  76. Jan 14, 2014
    this game has a great story and so many people ditch it and talk about thinking they know the game but if they knew the game they would know that its one of the best games of all time youre afraid just because of the graphics and the fact that its new, i think that this game is wonderful and it has a good story and is probably one of the best ever ,the end period.
  77. Mar 11, 2014
    One of the best Wii U games, and legend of zelda games, i've ever played. Truly a cult classic, beautifully remastered for the 8th generation of consoles, all while keeping the original feeling of the game intact, even improving it a little bit. Although i've never played the original GameCube version, i can clearly see that even back in its original years, this game was great. As for the tweaking, from what i've read, there were a few annoying things the original game had, like the whole triforce charts thing. However, Nintendo has tweaked the game to perfection, making it even better than it was before.

A wonderful sequel to Ocarina of Time, this game is one any fan of the Legend of zelda games should get.
  78. Feb 25, 2014
    I'll be honest, I skipped out GameCube when it came out because I was still playing the N64. However, that means that my experience of The Wind Waker HD had no nostalgia, yet it still was an amazing experience.
  79. Feb 16, 2014
    If you miss the fun in past Zelda games, Wind Waker HD is for you. It's everything you would expect, it follows the past Wind Waker perfectly and the actual HD feature looks beautiful. The mechanics are great, the gameplay is solid, and it's a great experience from old Zelda franchises.
  80. Feb 24, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda game with the most memorable characters made almost perfect with some amazing lightning effects and HD textures. For those who have played the original I don't need to mention how great this game is. For those who have never played the game and want to call themselves gamers, you owe it to yourselves to play this game. It's beautiful, calming, just magnificent.
  81. Mar 11, 2014
    A fantastic adventure that feels as current, if not even more, then the actual games of today. Looks and play great. Probably the best The Legend of Zelda to date.
  82. Apr 17, 2014
    A must play and for every Zelda fan, the over world is awesome, the story is great, and the dungeons are... my least favorite part of the game. Still it is a great game
  83. Apr 20, 2014
    This isn't just an ordinary remake. This is the single best remake I have ever played. Showing off beautiful 1080p there are no complaints for this. Though it is not my favorite Wii U game, it comes in a close second
  84. Apr 27, 2014
    Truly a well crafted piece of art work, it's hard to think that a ten year old game gets ready made into the greatest looking Zelda game of all time and one of the best Wii U games currently. Is it the best zelda game ever, some say yes, some say no. I can only say that it is my favourite Zelda game ever. The sea gives a certain joy to exploring that other games don't. The sun actually makes you smile when you leave a dark cave, and happy when you look at waterfalls and cliffs a certain way that feels the same as sitting on a beach. Does this games charm and elegance make up for a boring ending? Yes it does. That is the only negative to this game. It possess all the strong elements you want...

Strong story
    familiar elements
    looks amazing
    and new interesting world to explore.

A must play game for zelda fans but if you do not like cell shading or cartoon like I would move on.
  85. Jun 5, 2014
    An easier game in the Legend of Zelda franchise, but still extremely fun. The game-pad was very useful and cool as it was used for your map and items and so you didn't need to pause the game and go to a separate screen just to check the map quick or switch an item. Anyone from any age would enjoy this game.
  86. Jun 30, 2014
    Wind Waker was a great gem back in 2003. Zelda: Wind Waker HD on the Wii U is even better.

They have added game pad controls so the menus aren't clunky and you have instant access to them. They also have off screen play which is a nice bonus. Nintendo have added a hero mode to make the game harder as that was one of the complaints about the original.

There is now miiverse support as
    well so if you get stuck you can ask for help. You can also post picture with the camera and post them on miiverse.

Add gyro controls for aiming etc you have a massive improvement over the original and it is definitely worth replaying again as many games today lack that little something.
  87. Jul 7, 2014
    This game takes Wind Waker and smooths out the few rough edges. Wind Waker on the GameCube was already incredible, and now it's even better, this is in contention for the best Zelda game ever, this game is a must play.
  88. Jul 23, 2014
    A fantastic game that will give you extreme nostalgia. Great for Zelda beginners, and a little, fun, and quirky break for serious Zelda gamers. Really fun. The camera views are awesome, and gameplay is never too hard or boring. This would be number one recommended Wii U game, definitely.
  89. Sep 30, 2013

1. Jan 6, 2014
    After ten years Wind Waker is still as magical as it was when it was first released. The Wii U is all of a sudden looking like a console worth considering.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Fond memories of older games can oftentimes come to shatter when revisited but The Wind Waker still shines bright even after ten years. It is almost hard to believe the game is even that old. The battles, the dungeons and the sidequests are all still top notch and wrapped in timeless cartoon graphics. Have you not yet been enchanted by The Wind Waker then now is a better time than ever.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Wind Waker HD is a must play game not just for Zelda fans, but for every gamer.