9.0

1. Feb 7, 2015
    Beautifully rendered classic Zelda game, unique in both its art style and its open-ocean gameplay. So many remasters don't do much, but this one has crisp and beautiful graphics, plus small changes to gameplay to improve some small annoyances on an otherwise brilliant game.
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    IT LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL! THAT HD, OMG! On a more serious note: Besides looking really good in HD, fans who have either played or not played the original will still love this. It adds a few extra things and helpful tweaks to improve gameplay and decrease sailing time. It's still the same clever dungeons, beautiful art style and memorable characters as the original. 10/10 Must have for Wii U.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    I'll be honest, I skipped out GameCube when it came out because I was still playing the N64. However, that means that my experience of The Wind Waker HD had no nostalgia, yet it still was an amazing experience.
  4. Nov 2, 2016
    Graphics: 10 Sound: 9.5 Gameplay: 10 Fun/Story: 10

Graphics: 10 Sound: 9.5 Gameplay: 10 Fun/Story: 10

First: i´m not a cel shading fan. Of course i´m not saying that it´s bad, and it isn´t. Sometimes it´s beautiful. Second: i love zelda, and in that time i really wanted a realistic zelda. After all this game is big because it proved by itself that it´s a masterpiece. Nintendo proved with this game that it´s a company apart from the rest and i explain why: 10 years later i played this game on WiiU and the feeling was... Breathtaking
  5. Oct 27, 2013
    It's hard to pinpoint favorites in a franchise as storied as The Legend of Zelda, but I think The Wind Waker HD just might be it for me. This is a delightful experience from start to finish; one which miraculously manages to capture everything that makes Zelda games great, while adding new ideas and avoiding pretty much all of the pitfalls.

The cel-shaded graphics, which were full of

The cel-shaded graphics, which were full of personality to begin with, look positively stunning in HD. More than once I stopped playing for a few moments just to gaze with awe at the gorgeous 3D cartoonish sceneries. I've seen people complaining about how one detail or another doesn't look quite as good as the Gamecube version, but I call shenanigans: the lighting is better, the colors are more vibrant, everything looks just the way it should.

The game is set on the Great Sea, which is littered by islands of all types and sizes. At first, navigation is achieved mainly through the Wind Waker, a maestro's baton that controls the winds. Soon, however, savvy players will come across a special sail that is not only faster, but dispenses the use of the Wind Waker altogether, which makes exploration even more delightful. The storyline is very poignant; a nice surprise, since Zelda games tend to repeat themselves in this regard. I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say that there's a tragic story behing the Great Sea and its people.

The gameplay is as tight as it gets, with a fluid combat system and amazing controls for Link's inevitable arsenal of weapons (the gamepad's gyroscope, for example, lets you aim by simply tilting the controller to one side or another). The dungeons are just the right size, offering plenty of challenges but always stopping short of becoming tedious. No longer will you have to suffer through chores like Ocarina of Time's Water Temple, for example.

The sidequests follow suit. In fact, the deviations from the main storyline here might just be the best the series has ever had. One of the game's most enduring sidequests tasks you to use the pictobox (this world's version of a photo camera) to take pictures of every single character you find, including townsfolk, allies, enemies, and bosses. Those pictures can then be transformed into figurines, which will fill several thematic rooms in one of the game's islands. If you're the collector type (like myself), you'll taste a little bit of heaven every time you come across a new character or a new breed of enemy.

Finally, the game's use of the Miiverse, Nintendo's exclusive social media, is the best I've ever seen. Once you get an item called the Tingle Bottle, you get to send messages-in-a-bottle that will then be found (and hopefully replied) by other people playing the game. Your letters can contain words, pictures, and drawings, and the fun is exponentially extended by simply hunting down bottles to interact with fellow players.

I keep wanting to further defy brevity by talking about numerous other assorted details, which should tell you just how impressed I am. Boasting insane levels of personality and a vast world filled to the brim with secrets, The Wind Waker HD shows that the little Gamecube title that could is, in fact, a timeless classic.

Rating: 10.0
  6. Jul 26, 2017
    This game is a Zelda game, which means you should know what you're getting into even before you start- there will be lots of fetch quests and temples to complete, all of which will test your brain a bit (and sometimes your patience), but it's all done quite beautifully and feels very rewarding. This game has all the positives of your typical Zelda game, but a couple of disappointingThis game is a Zelda game, which means you should know what you're getting into even before you start- there will be lots of fetch quests and temples to complete, all of which will test your brain a bit (and sometimes your patience), but it's all done quite beautifully and feels very rewarding. This game has all the positives of your typical Zelda game, but a couple of disappointing negatives, namely:

-The open water didn't give me the feeling that I was exploring- it just served as a reminder to me that it takes even longer to get places than it normally should in a Zelda game, with lots and lots of open space filled with nothing useful. Luckily, I was told by a friend to pick up the Fast Sail early on, and I can't even imagine how dreadful the travel would be in this game without it.

-The combat attempts to give you depth, but it's really quite shallow. A review I read said that "the combat in this game is my favorite of any action RPG". I can't support that statement at all- it's the same button-mashing that each other game in the series has had. It's not that it's a negative, but it's certainly not a positive.

-The final boss was frustrating and anti-climactic. I struggled with fighting the final boss- his third stage was infuriating in how simple it was to tell what you needed to do, but how difficult it was to actually execute. The actual final boss fight was really fun (I actually felt like I was sword fighting for the first time in the game!), but it turns out that none of that really mattered because he's just going to get hit by arrows anyways. I was sad when I learned that- I wish there had been more of the sword-fighting type fights instead of just typical button-mashing against the typical henchmen.

-The additional features in the game (mail system, pictograph, treasure charts, etc.) don't add anything to the game, as far as I can tell. It didn't seem fun to do or worthwhile; the game already had enough side quests that I didn't want to bother myself trying to heap even more onto my plate.

There you have it- in spite of these negatives, the game is pretty enjoyable, but if only because it imitates its rich heritage in the right way. I have to say that I probably won't play this game again; I'd rather just replay Ocarina of Time.
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    The Wind Waker has always been one of the true greats from Nintendo's frankly wonderful Zelda franchise, but now it's something even more...it's the Wii U's first genuine system seller and it's an absolute belter!

Indeed, Wind Waker HD is as perfect a game as you're ever likely to find, and whether you're a Wii U owner or not, it is utterly essential.
  8. Sep 21, 2013
    A really beautiful work of art. Many people were wondering how you make cel animation compatible with HD. Well here you go. They also took all the flaws of the original Wind Waker and ACTUALLY addressed them. Superb. My favorite Zelda game in a VERY long time.
  9. Oct 29, 2013
    The Wind Waker initially disappointed me a decade ago on the GameCube with it's more colourful presentation and less impressive gameplay elements compared to the unbeatable Ocarina of Time but the rejuvenation on the WiiU impresses with many other issues addressed. The general pacing and overall gameplay mechanics have been considerably tweaked which makes the flow of the game moreThe Wind Waker initially disappointed me a decade ago on the GameCube with it's more colourful presentation and less impressive gameplay elements compared to the unbeatable Ocarina of Time but the rejuvenation on the WiiU impresses with many other issues addressed. The general pacing and overall gameplay mechanics have been considerably tweaked which makes the flow of the game more satisfying as opposed to a once occasionally dull affair. The AI and combat seem much more polished and the irritating sea exploration has been vastly improved. Still not on par with the likes of Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword which may raise eyebrows as to why Nintendo are looking backwards as opposed to forwards but we can be guaranteed more Zelda titles in the future and this is a nice HD reworking of a title that wasn't perfect but just needed the odd-tweak and we now have a fine product. Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2014
    Still holds up better than 90% of everything released today. The HD and the little refinements are just the gravy on top. Could have used an inverted camera for 3rd person and shifting wind directions can be annoying at times, but that is all I can really hammer it for. Now gimme a brand new Zelda, Nintendo.
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    There’s nothing quite like the slick sailing of the Great Sea’s vast waters, the scream of a defeated Moblin or the charming toon graphic style of the Wind Waker, and this HD remake enhances everything you loved about the original yet further. What’s so admirable about Nintendo’s effort here is that beyond the HD treatment, there is still so much they have done to improve Link’sThere’s nothing quite like the slick sailing of the Great Sea’s vast waters, the scream of a defeated Moblin or the charming toon graphic style of the Wind Waker, and this HD remake enhances everything you loved about the original yet further. What’s so admirable about Nintendo’s effort here is that beyond the HD treatment, there is still so much they have done to improve Link’s sixth-generation adventure and add so much more to it than was there before.
    The most obvious enhancement of the Wind Waker is the HD. What looked great originally is not only improved but given more life. The character and enemy models and the landscapes look so much more 3D and full of life and personality. Upon approaching Windfall Island from the distance you’ll be amazed how much HD has benefited the game. Admittedly, some of it looks stuck in the past but problems in the visuals are rare. Of course, the reason the toon style was originally chosen was because of the fantastic way it brought across the atmosphere and characters’ expressions. The impressionist style makes the enemies look spectacular and interesting: Moblins are easily recognisable as stupid, for example.
    The music, needless to say, is excellent.
    Meanwhile, the story is simple but effective, and for once actually Ganon’s evil attentions are something you can sympathise with, not just a thirst for power and control.
    For anyone who hasn’t played a Zelda game before, it is a mix of puzzles, combat and exploration. As in any other Zelda game, the Wind Waker features multiple dungeons, maze-like puzzle areas littered with cleverly placed enemies. The dungeons are always cleverly worked into the plot of the game. Needless to say, the Wind Waker’s dungeons are intricate, genius and great fun. The puzzles are challenging and often get you stuck. The Wind Waker has an excellent combat system, perhaps the best of all Zeldas except for Skyward Sword’s revolutionary sword-swinging. The target lock system Zeldas are praised for makes a big difference in making combat as strategic as possible without ever being unfair.
    The exploration outside of dungeons is a big part of Zelda too, and what a world to explore the Great Sea is. Nearly fifty islands, all with different characters, secrets and landscapes, litter the Great Sea. There are many side quests for rewards such as pieces of heart, treasure charts and more, and are more than enough to keep the hardcore 100% completionist occupied. Side quests included, the Wind Waker is a good solid thirty hours of gameplay at least, obviously quicker for those who played the original.
    Beyond the HD refinement, this remake does much, much more. There is a new mode, hero mode like in Skyward Sword- enemies do double damage and you can’t find hearts in plants or pots. For those who complained of Wind Waker being easy, which it is a bit, hero mode is an excellent challenge, perfect for people who completed the original and also great for newcomers to Wind Waker looking for a challenge. It’s no master quest like Ocarina of Time’s remake included (which is a shame) but I appreciate its inclusion nonetheless.
    Another improvement is the Swift Sail, which increases the speed of your boat. Some gamers complained of sailing getting slow and tedious after a while. This was of course due to the gamecube’s slower processing power, but because the wii u is much more powerful, sailing is faster, smoother, and a whole lot of fun. It really adds to the exploration element of the adventure.
    Also, the Triforce quest towards the end of the game has been streamlined. Originally, this had required the player to go sailing about the Great Sea using a map to locate the eight shards of the broken Triforce of Courage and get all eight from under the water. This was very tedious and took a possible hour to do, really damaging the pace of the game. But this has been streamlined so that five of the eight are found in mini-dungeons on certain islands, leaving only three to be found in the sea. This really is a great improvement and has changed the Triforce quest from being a lowlight of the game to, for me, being one the highlights. It’s disappointing that most of the mini-dungeons are only composed of just lots of rooms, each full with enemies, with no puzzles. But they are fun challenges regardless of that.
    And wii u integration. Now, your inventory of items and the map of the area or dungeon you’re in are all on the gamepad, meaning faster, easier access to everything without needing to pause the game every time you want to see your inventory or map. As well as this, you can aim projectile items using the Gamepad’s motion sensing, allowing for improved precision. Also is miiverse integration.
    The Wind Waker HD goes the extra mile to make an awesome game even more awesome. If you played the original you simply must get this to experience the game in a new way. If you haven’t played the original, you have an even greater need to play one of the greatest games ever.
  12. Sep 5, 2015

+ Character personality
    + Amazing enemy design

- Frame rate dips 30fps
  13. Jan 27, 2014
    This is hands down the best HD remake of any game I have ever played. The cell shaded goodness will warm your heart. The Wii U gamepad support for this game is great and the game sound is stellar. The original game was actually pretty hard to beat due to the slow sailing and finding of the Triforce shards. But they fixed this problem and I was actually able to beat this game for the firstThis is hands down the best HD remake of any game I have ever played. The cell shaded goodness will warm your heart. The Wii U gamepad support for this game is great and the game sound is stellar. The original game was actually pretty hard to beat due to the slow sailing and finding of the Triforce shards. But they fixed this problem and I was actually able to beat this game for the first time since I played it on the Gamecube. Awesome game you won't be disapointed. I have noticed all the 10 this game has. It was very close but I did not achieve "total immersion" for me to give it a 10. Expand
  14. Feb 20, 2017
    This game improves on the original: the graphics are better, the camera is better, the controls are better, and the gamepad is an extremely useful addition because it allows you to swap the items in your inventory around without having to pause the game. The only problems I had with the original game have been mostly fixed: the sailing doesn't bore me or take too long anymore thanks to theThis game improves on the original: the graphics are better, the camera is better, the controls are better, and the gamepad is an extremely useful addition because it allows you to swap the items in your inventory around without having to pause the game. The only problems I had with the original game have been mostly fixed: the sailing doesn't bore me or take too long anymore thanks to the new quick sail and the tedious Triforce hunt has been (mostly) reduced to only 3 charts. This game is simply amazing and an incredible experience on the wii u. Expand
  15. Mar 16, 2014
    This improves on the original in every way. The original was already worth AT LEAST a 9, so it follows that this is a 10. I couldn't ask for a better remake of a classic Zelda adventure. Everyone should get an opportunity to play this game, even if you've never played a Zelda game in your life.

Like an LoZ game, there is a huge amount of bang for your buck. This game will last many hours, and while it isn't perfect, it gets about as close as you can get.
  16. Sep 21, 2013
    I am so glad Nintendo decided to remake this game. I love Hero mode enemies deal twice the damage and hearts do not appear during gameplay. The only way to replenish your health is through potions an excellent challenge! Now that it's in HD and everything is fixed near the end of the story, there is absolutely NO reason for any Wii U owner not to own this game! A masterpiece. 10/10
  17. Feb 7, 2015
    Without a doubt one of the best games ever. And probably the best remake ever, too. Everything also appears fixed in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. The graphics are incredible, the story is amazing and the gameplay is fun and exciting. A true Wii U masterpiece. 10/10
  18. Nov 27, 2013
    The legend of zelda wind waker was a classic on the gamecube that was under appreciated because of its art direction,however, i was not among those who looked down on this masterpiece. Instead i gave it a try and what i discovered was an amazing game! Enter wind waker reborn on the wii u. This game is simply amazing. Everthing has been redon and refined into an almost complete package! TheThe legend of zelda wind waker was a classic on the gamecube that was under appreciated because of its art direction,however, i was not among those who looked down on this masterpiece. Instead i gave it a try and what i discovered was an amazing game! Enter wind waker reborn on the wii u. This game is simply amazing. Everthing has been redon and refined into an almost complete package! The gameplay is simple,yet enenthralling,the graphics rival an animated movie! Its everything you loved about wind waker on the gamecube plus more! The gamepad works very well with wind waker making item and weapon management a breeze. The only hiccup i have with this game is the sailing,itcan get rather tedious after awhile but dammint the ocean looks aabsolutely marvelous so there a silver lining. This game was made for nintendo fans so don't pass this classic up! 9/10 Expand
  19. Mar 5, 2014
    As I was playing through The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, I thought that it was all a bit too easy. Like it was just me just going through the motions. Which was fine, but I felt like it was lacking that something special. But the further I got through the game, the more I realised I couldn't have been more wrong. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a phenomenal game with itsAs I was playing through The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, I thought that it was all a bit too easy. Like it was just me just going through the motions. Which was fine, but I felt like it was lacking that something special. But the further I got through the game, the more I realised I couldn't have been more wrong. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a phenomenal game with its classic Zelda patterns involving a tonne of puzzles and loads of combat. It's that gentle mix of linear and open, making it alluring for those who love a good story as well as those who love to roam around. Although there is a little bit of hand-holding at times, it is generally only in times when the next step isn't so clear. As such, this did not detract from the quality of the adventure in the least. The Wind Waker HD offers many different objectives and side quests, from gathering pigs to taming seagulls to winning auctions. And every character is just bursting with flavour and personality, courtesy of the cel-shaded art style. I have played only two Zelda games prior to this one: Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword. These two and The Wind Waker HD have that elaborate adventure that binds the player to the environments with its great authenticity and depth. And its my personal opinion that The Wind Waker HD does this the best of the three. Nothing really compares to venturing on the sea like a pirate, searching for loot and invaluable objects. If a single fibre of your being is even curious about what The Wind Waker HD has to offer, buy a copy of it immediately. There is seriously no adventure like a Zelda adventure, and you will not regret getting it. Expand
  20. Apr 25, 2017
    No matter how hard I try, I cannot think of one bad thing to say about this game.
    I had far too much fun getting buried in its atmosphere and solving its many puzzles and dungeons.
    I never did play the original gamecube version of this game, so I cannot compare the two, but this game is beautiful and fun and it was a real joy to have experienced playing it blind. I cannot begin to

I cannot begin to describe my joy as I look back upon my time with this game, it truly was a once in a lifetime experience.
  21. Mar 25, 2014
    like alot of people i did not like Wind Waker when it was new, the art style bothered me and i had a hunger for a more mature HD zelda game after my taste of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. But now i'm older, and my eyes are opened to the greatness of this game. It has a great plot with lots of twists and turns that will leave you on the edge of your seat, a beautiful HD world to saillike alot of people i did not like Wind Waker when it was new, the art style bothered me and i had a hunger for a more mature HD zelda game after my taste of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. But now i'm older, and my eyes are opened to the greatness of this game. It has a great plot with lots of twists and turns that will leave you on the edge of your seat, a beautiful HD world to sail through, the countless enemies you'll encounter and defeat throughout your journey, and a nostalgia factor to the MAX. To be honest, other than not having a mini-map on the screen i dont have much to complain about this game. Expand
  22. May 30, 2017
    Wind Waker has always been a controversial and divisive entry in the LOZ series because of its art-style and sailing based exploration. Behind these bullet points is a remarkable Zelda game that is as clever and robust as any entry in the franchise. The HD remaster is truly beautiful and can visually stand alongside any game on the market, despite the fact that the original game wasWind Waker has always been a controversial and divisive entry in the LOZ series because of its art-style and sailing based exploration. Behind these bullet points is a remarkable Zelda game that is as clever and robust as any entry in the franchise. The HD remaster is truly beautiful and can visually stand alongside any game on the market, despite the fact that the original game was released in 2002. This is a credit to the cel shaded art style which provides a timeless storybook like presentation to the game. Expand
  23. Nov 17, 2015
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD is a game that you should not miss, whether you’ve played the original or not. It’s truly an experience of a lifetime. The game boasts a memorable story, an incredible sense of adventure and exploration, quirky characters, satisfying combat, breathtaking visuals, harmonious music and much more. There just isn’t much to complain about. The sense ofThe Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD is a game that you should not miss, whether you’ve played the original or not. It’s truly an experience of a lifetime. The game boasts a memorable story, an incredible sense of adventure and exploration, quirky characters, satisfying combat, breathtaking visuals, harmonious music and much more. There just isn’t much to complain about. The sense of adventure is simply awe-inspiring and once you begin, you won;t want to put the controller down. Nintendo is still the master of making fun games. They don’t have to be violent or have Oscar-winning performances. As a matter of fact, I think we need to evaluate our view of games in that sense. There are a vast majority of genres these days. Adventure, shooter, racing, action, fighting and also we’re seeing an emergence of movie-like experiences with Beyond Two Souls. Wind Waker HD is one of the classic action-adventure types that we have always loved. It’s kid and adult friendly. It’s truly an incredible game that you should not pass up. Yes, this game alone is worth purchasing a Wii U, so what are you waiting for? Expand
  24. Nov 4, 2013
    I loved the original game because it was pretty much not stop action. This one is basically the same but the graphics blow you into another universe. Goes without saying: Wii U has superior controls!
  25. Jun 21, 2015
    A great zelda game bytheway...This time in high definition. Funny game with a certain challenge. Not the best zelda anyway, but great game after all. Amazing gameplay, sound na graphics. A "must buy" game.
  26. Oct 1, 2015
    Sometimes you play an HD remake it you realise it hasn't aged well. Nintendo did a great job applying a fresh coat of paint to a must play classic for any WII U owner.

With slight tweaks to the interface and minor gameplay changes, I enjoyed this game every bit as much as I did back on the GAMECUBE.
  27. Aug 28, 2016
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a great Zelda title with an amazing story and great graphics. The only downside is that a large majority of the map is water, so it takes a really long time to sail to different islands.
  28. Oct 17, 2013
    Zelda wind waker HD is an amazing remake of a brilliant game the graphics gameplay presentation and replay value are nearly perfect Exploring the world to save zelda and aryll is incredible it's easy to pick up and play it's a lot of fun and I recommend it to everyone
  29. Jun 19, 2017
    This game proves that the N64 Zeldas were overrated. This is 3D Zelda done perfectly for the first time in the franchise. The movement is exceptional, the gameplay is smooth and extremely robust, the dungeons are beautiful.
  30. Feb 21, 2015
    This game is just another complete rip-off of angry birds. The game itself is exactly the same except the graphics quality is much lower and the gameplay is significantly less user friendly.

1. Jan 6, 2014
    After ten years Wind Waker is still as magical as it was when it was first released. The Wii U is all of a sudden looking like a console worth considering.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Fond memories of older games can oftentimes come to shatter when revisited but The Wind Waker still shines bright even after ten years. It is almost hard to believe the game is even that old. The battles, the dungeons and the sidequests are all still top notch and wrapped in timeless cartoon graphics. Have you not yet been enchanted by The Wind Waker then now is a better time than ever.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Wind Waker HD is a must play game not just for Zelda fans, but for every gamer.