8.9

1. Feb 4, 2014
    The original WW was already beautiful, and the HD remake builds up on it so much, it's almost staggering. Other than that, it's the same great game that came out on the Gamecube. The addition of Miiverse features makes sailing more entertaining - I love collecting up bottles.
  2. Nov 4, 2013
    I loved the original game because it was pretty much not stop action. This one is basically the same but the graphics blow you into another universe. Goes without saying: Wii U has superior controls!
  3. LBC
    Oct 31, 2013
    All of the biggest flaws from the original game have been nicely ironed out. The best improvement in my opinion is the revamped aiming system. Now you can walk around in first person view while aiming and you can even use the gyroscope to fine-tune your shots; a welcome addition indeed! If you missed out on Wind Waker the first time around, now is your chance to experience a true masterpiece.
  4. Sep 21, 2013
    I am so glad Nintendo decided to remake this game. I love Hero mode enemies deal twice the damage and hearts do not appear during gameplay. The only way to replenish your health is through potions an excellent challenge! Now that it's in HD and everything is fixed near the end of the story, there is absolutely NO reason for any Wii U owner not to own this game! A masterpiece. 10/10
  5. Dec 3, 2013
    Windwaker for Gamecube was my favorite Zelda. WIndwaker HD for Wii U takes every complaint about the original and makes it a superb adventure game. The graphics are sharper than any Zelda to date. If you own a Wii U you must own this game despite whether you have played it before or not.
  6. Oct 7, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game back when it came out on the GameCube. I completed it and it was an extremely fun game. But now that I have it for the Wii U, let me say "WOW". This is a lot better than I was expecting! The graphics are outstanding, the gameplay using the Wii U gamepad is perfect, and playing in hero mode is a wonderful challenge! Already I have hit the "GAME OVER" screen 3 times, and this is a very good thing because I don't think I ever did that with the easy GameCube version. Everything is polished to perfection if you are on the fence, get a Wii U just for this game and the many great games that are coming out soon. Long live the Legend! Expand
  7. Oct 3, 2013
    One of the best games ever made and now in HD with hero mode. That enough has me sold. Throw in gameplay tweaks and off tv play, and I believe this is exactly what we need while waiting for zelda wiiu!
  8. Nov 27, 2013
    The legend of zelda wind waker was a classic on the gamecube that was under appreciated because of its art direction,however, i was not among those who looked down on this masterpiece. Instead i gave it a try and what i discovered was an amazing game! Enter wind waker reborn on the wii u. This game is simply amazing. Everthing has been redon and refined into an almost complete package! The gameplay is simple,yet enenthralling,the graphics rival an animated movie! Its everything you loved about wind waker on the gamecube plus more! The gamepad works very well with wind waker making item and weapon management a breeze. The only hiccup i have with this game is the sailing,itcan get rather tedious after awhile but dammint the ocean looks aabsolutely marvelous so there a silver lining. This game was made for nintendo fans so don't pass this classic up! 9/10 Expand
  9. Nov 23, 2013
    The Wind Waker has always been one of the true greats from Nintendo's frankly wonderful Zelda franchise, but now it's something even more...it's the Wii U's first genuine system seller and it's an absolute belter!

Indeed, Wind Waker HD is as perfect a game as you're ever likely to find, and whether you're a Wii U owner or not, it is utterly essential.
  10. Oct 2, 2013
    This remake is a must have for anyone with a Wii U, no matter if you already played the original or not.
    So, just go buy this amazing game now people.
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    An absolutely fantastic game. This is one of the best looking Nintendo games to date and one of the best looking games this year. Wind Waker is the highlight of the LoZ series and the updated graphics make the experience even better. My only issues in the game are on some of Link's animations. Some of them look very stiff and don't seem updated from the Gamecube version. I would have preferred smoother animations there. Expand
  12. Sep 20, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, was a game that USE to have two major flaws---a low difficulty level and pacing issues. With these two problems, the original game, while still fantastic, was unable to live up to the standard of its predecessors Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask... but The Wind Waker HD fixes all of these issues and allows this game to shine as the piece of artwork it was meant to be. Expand
  13. Sep 29, 2013
    One of the finest adventure games tweaked and remastered make this a no-brainer for Wind Waker newcomers and a fantastic nostalgia ride as well. Pleasantly surprised that this game is the best gaming experience that I have had this year.
  14. Oct 2, 2013
    This is everything a remake should be. It keeps the entire essence of the original while at the same time fixing so many of the problems that the original did have. It didn't try to distance itself too far, but it also improved on itself. This is as perfectly as a remake really can be done.
  15. Oct 16, 2013
    I never played the original but I am loving this game. The graphics look great for a remake but are still showing their age in some places (NPC character models are rough in some places you can tell that the main characters had a lot more time spent on them). A huge world to explore but the pacing of the campaign is so consistent and fun that you may forget to explore while catapulting yourself towards your next goal. Countless charming characters and an unforgettable storyline make this one of my favorite entries in the series. a must own for Zelda fans but perhaps a bit pricey for ppl who are still on the fence ($50 is pretty steep for a remake). The "message in a bottle" MiiVerse functionality is fun and well implemented. Also, the selfie pics can be a lot of fun (see linkstagram on twitter). Expand
  16. Jul 31, 2014
    IT LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL! THAT HD, OMG! On a more serious note: Besides looking really good in HD, fans who have either played or not played the original will still love this. It adds a few extra things and helpful tweaks to improve gameplay and decrease sailing time. It's still the same clever dungeons, beautiful art style and memorable characters as the original. 10/10 Must have for Wii U.
  17. Jan 27, 2014
    This is hands down the best HD remake of any game I have ever played. The cell shaded goodness will warm your heart. The Wii U gamepad support for this game is great and the game sound is stellar. The original game was actually pretty hard to beat due to the slow sailing and finding of the Triforce shards. But they fixed this problem and I was actually able to beat this game for the first time since I played it on the Gamecube. Awesome game you won't be disapointed. I have noticed all the 10 this game has. It was very close but I did not achieve "total immersion" for me to give it a 10. Expand
  18. Oct 22, 2013
    The Windwaker HD has definitely set the bar for modern remakes of classic games. The controls are as smooth as ever, graphics are in brilliant 1080p, and the touch pad adds a nice element to tie it all together. The story and characters are among the best in the Zelda series, bosses are challenging. It is so much fun exploring the massive open-world and discovering new islands. In my opinion this game is the first real reason to buy a wii-u. An experience you cannot find any where else. Expand
  19. Sep 30, 2013
    Excellent game. Never play the first one, so this one was a whole new experience. I'm glad I got to play it in HD my first time, it is just beautiful. Many people criticize that Nintendo should make brand new games instea of bringing back old games to life. People who own a WII U today are probably not the same people who owed a Game Cube 10 years ago. People seriously need to think before they speak. Expand
  20. Nov 6, 2013
    The Legend of Zelda is my all-time favorite video game series, and The Wind Waker is my favorite entry in that series. I have so many wonderful memories of the original, and to play WWHD now is such a delight. The visuals have been upgraded wonderfully. There are tons of refinements to the overall experience, and they fixed some of the biggest flaws that kept the original GameCube version from attaining the status of perfection other Zelda titles have attained. Now, with WWHD, this is a caveat-free masterpiece I'd heartily place alongside the greats like ALttP, OoT, Link's Awakening, etc. This is what remakes should be. I love it! Expand
  21. Sep 20, 2013
    Everything I disliked in this game has been replaced and now it's only a Masterpiece. After playing Skyward Sword, i can finally push a button to hit an enemy with my sword and I enjoy it!
  22. Sep 21, 2013
    Great game before and now ....master piece. Fantastic remake, improve gameplay, BSO remaster. If you not have the original game cube this game is a must have.
  23. Mar 5, 2014
    As I was playing through The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, I thought that it was all a bit too easy. Like it was just me just going through the motions. Which was fine, but I felt like it was lacking that something special. But the further I got through the game, the more I realised I couldn't have been more wrong. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is a phenomenal game with its classic Zelda patterns involving a tonne of puzzles and loads of combat. It's that gentle mix of linear and open, making it alluring for those who love a good story as well as those who love to roam around. Although there is a little bit of hand-holding at times, it is generally only in times when the next step isn't so clear. As such, this did not detract from the quality of the adventure in the least. The Wind Waker HD offers many different objectives and side quests, from gathering pigs to taming seagulls to winning auctions. And every character is just bursting with flavour and personality, courtesy of the cel-shaded art style. I have played only two Zelda games prior to this one: Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword. These two and The Wind Waker HD have that elaborate adventure that binds the player to the environments with its great authenticity and depth. And its my personal opinion that The Wind Waker HD does this the best of the three. Nothing really compares to venturing on the sea like a pirate, searching for loot and invaluable objects. If a single fibre of your being is even curious about what The Wind Waker HD has to offer, buy a copy of it immediately. There is seriously no adventure like a Zelda adventure, and you will not regret getting it. Expand
  24. Oct 8, 2013
    Playing the HD remake makes me feel so old! I enjoyed the original, but have enjoyed this more. The mechanics feel a lot better then they did on the Game Cube, add in HD and you've got yourself a 10/10 remake.
  25. Mar 6, 2014
    Still holds up better than 90% of everything released today. The HD and the little refinements are just the gravy on top. Could have used an inverted camera for 3rd person and shifting wind directions can be annoying at times, but that is all I can really hammer it for. Now gimme a brand new Zelda, Nintendo.
  26. Jan 27, 2014
    If you didn't play this on GameCube, now's your chance. No other game comes close to the sense of adventure this one gives while sailing the vast seas. The graphics are superb and the gameplay hasn't aged at all. One of the best games of all time just got better. 10/10
  27. Sep 24, 2013
    The game is amazing and the updated visuals assures that this game will remain as one of the most beautiful for another decade. Hero Mode really adds to the challenge the game is much better with Hero Mode active. Can't give it anything less than a 10.

The adventure is filled with things to do, treasures to hunt, places to reach, and a beautiful ocean to set sail on.
  28. Oct 27, 2013
    It's hard to pinpoint favorites in a franchise as storied as The Legend of Zelda, but I think The Wind Waker HD just might be it for me. This is a delightful experience from start to finish; one which miraculously manages to capture everything that makes Zelda games great, while adding new ideas and avoiding pretty much all of the pitfalls.

The cel-shaded graphics, which were full of
    personality to begin with, look positively stunning in HD. More than once I stopped playing for a few moments just to gaze with awe at the gorgeous 3D cartoonish sceneries. I've seen people complaining about how one detail or another doesn't look quite as good as the Gamecube version, but I call shenanigans: the lighting is better, the colors are more vibrant, everything looks just the way it should.

The game is set on the Great Sea, which is littered by islands of all types and sizes. At first, navigation is achieved mainly through the Wind Waker, a maestro's baton that controls the winds. Soon, however, savvy players will come across a special sail that is not only faster, but dispenses the use of the Wind Waker altogether, which makes exploration even more delightful. The storyline is very poignant; a nice surprise, since Zelda games tend to repeat themselves in this regard. I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say that there's a tragic story behing the Great Sea and its people.

The gameplay is as tight as it gets, with a fluid combat system and amazing controls for Link's inevitable arsenal of weapons (the gamepad's gyroscope, for example, lets you aim by simply tilting the controller to one side or another). The dungeons are just the right size, offering plenty of challenges but always stopping short of becoming tedious. No longer will you have to suffer through chores like Ocarina of Time's Water Temple, for example.

The sidequests follow suit. In fact, the deviations from the main storyline here might just be the best the series has ever had. One of the game's most enduring sidequests tasks you to use the pictobox (this world's version of a photo camera) to take pictures of every single character you find, including townsfolk, allies, enemies, and bosses. Those pictures can then be transformed into figurines, which will fill several thematic rooms in one of the game's islands. If you're the collector type (like myself), you'll taste a little bit of heaven every time you come across a new character or a new breed of enemy.

Finally, the game's use of the Miiverse, Nintendo's exclusive social media, is the best I've ever seen. Once you get an item called the Tingle Bottle, you get to send messages-in-a-bottle that will then be found (and hopefully replied) by other people playing the game. Your letters can contain words, pictures, and drawings, and the fun is exponentially extended by simply hunting down bottles to interact with fellow players.

I keep wanting to further defy brevity by talking about numerous other assorted details, which should tell you just how impressed I am. Boasting insane levels of personality and a vast world filled to the brim with secrets, The Wind Waker HD shows that the little Gamecube title that could is, in fact, a timeless classic.

Rating: 10.0
  29. Oct 21, 2013
    The Wind Waker is a great game. The HD updated graphics, added gamepad features (easily accessible menus), and small tweaks to gameplay all make this Nintendo classic even better. I highly recommend this game to all Wii U owners, it is a must-buy for anyone who missed the original, and a worthy purchase for those of you (like me) who played it a decade ago.
  30. Nov 5, 2013
    The only Zelda I never played was Wind Waker and now I get to play it like this in HD. Having completed all the Zelda games and being about 80% complete with this one I can say it is my favorite. The game looks beautiful and plays like a zelda game.

1. Jan 6, 2014
    After ten years Wind Waker is still as magical as it was when it was first released. The Wii U is all of a sudden looking like a console worth considering.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Fond memories of older games can oftentimes come to shatter when revisited but The Wind Waker still shines bright even after ten years. It is almost hard to believe the game is even that old. The battles, the dungeons and the sidequests are all still top notch and wrapped in timeless cartoon graphics. Have you not yet been enchanted by The Wind Waker then now is a better time than ever.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Wind Waker HD is a must play game not just for Zelda fans, but for every gamer.