8.4

1. Feb 7, 2015
    I appreciate the game and I think many people will love it, but it just wasn't for me. The art and story seem to be great, but I would have preferred not to draw shapes on the GamePad.
  2. Jan 6, 2015
    If you know and play Platinum's popular games like Bayonetta 1 & 2, then you know what to expect with Wonderful 101, also by Platinum: it will be frantic, it will have crazy big-ass bosses, it will rate you with pure platinum, platinum, gold, silver, bronze or er... consolation medal (means you sucked at that particular segment of the game - which I did for quite a few parts of the game).If you know and play Platinum's popular games like Bayonetta 1 & 2, then you know what to expect with Wonderful 101, also by Platinum: it will be frantic, it will have crazy big-ass bosses, it will rate you with pure platinum, platinum, gold, silver, bronze or er... consolation medal (means you sucked at that particular segment of the game - which I did for quite a few parts of the game). However, it's different from Bayonetta though.

The premise of Wonderful 101 is all about rather quick drawing reflexes. The whole game is based on having a group of tiny heroes that "form" (called unite morph!) the weapon you use against the alien invaders. And to "form" the weapon, you have to draw it out e.g. for a sword, it's a straight line up then press A; for claws, it's a reverse Z then press A; etc. So mostly the learning curve really revolves around drawing the weapon. (here's a hint: use the right thumb pad, I found it more responsive than drawing on the touchpad).

My first 2-3 missions was a chore as I struggled to find my balance in how to draw the darned shapes. So I really hated it at first. But once I got the hang of it, I started enjoying it more as the game became much smoother and I became more proficient at getting at enemies. In fact, I found Wonderful 101 much easier to pickup than the 3DS' Kid Icarus Uprising which I gave up on as I hated its controls - I would say Wonderful 101's gameplay is saved by the responsiveness of the right thumb pad. Like Bayonetta, what kept me going at the game is that there is generally some freshness in every mission, and the bosses are really fun to deal with.

Plus the game's storyline can offer a chuckle or two. Generally the game doesn't take itself too seriously so it has a lot of slapstick comedy, which is actually quite funny. Even bosses add to the comedy.

However, there are some things that irk me in the game. Firstly, the camera angle. Sometimes it's hard to tell which way you're supposed to go because it's very limited in it's panning. It gets worse when you're inside a building and you have to use the game pad to move around - it's a pain. Sometimes it's because of the horrible camera angle means I fall to my death because I can't see where I'm going. Secondly, quick time events. Those frantic button presses at some points in the game is stupid and gives me repetitive strain injury. I think it could've done without it. Thirdly, sometimes the wrong unite morphs get registered and you end up using the wrong weapon and you have to frantically redraw. Fortunately, Platinum was smart enough stop time when you draw, so you don't get hammered. Fourthly, there are some cheap deaths. Sometimes, it's because I'm landed in a totally foreign situation where there is no hint on what I'm supposed to do and some moving contraption just killed me off.

Overall, I felt the game overall was actually quite difficult. I played it on Very Easy and even then I died quite a few times. But the storyline and the variations in gameplay did keep me going to the end. I think this game could be much much better if they sorted out the camera angles and ease the controls a little. If you're looking for a perfect Platinum game, play Bayonetta 2. The Wonderful 101 feels more like a prelude to the greatness contained in Bayonetta 2. What Platinum didn't get right in Wonderful 101, they perfected in Bayonetta 2.
  3. Sep 30, 2013
    The game is good. The quality is there, but I thought it was going to be something better. Gaming sites were patronizing the game as if it was going to be a system seller when it is not. The game is good, enjoyable and a good purchase if you love action games, but there are more thing to play on the WII U so I would not recommended unless you have played all games available on WII UThe game is good. The quality is there, but I thought it was going to be something better. Gaming sites were patronizing the game as if it was going to be a system seller when it is not. The game is good, enjoyable and a good purchase if you love action games, but there are more thing to play on the WII U so I would not recommended unless you have played all games available on WII U because I would recommend any game before this one. Expand
  4. May 25, 2015
    This game reminds me of an obnoxious, quirky anime culture that exists today that I actively avoid. I bought it because I had played Metal Gear Rising and because of thought felt that Platinum Games was a very talented developer. To this day I still feel that they are very good. However, Wonderful 101 is not only filled with gameplay problems, but it has a story that did nothing but annoyThis game reminds me of an obnoxious, quirky anime culture that exists today that I actively avoid. I bought it because I had played Metal Gear Rising and because of thought felt that Platinum Games was a very talented developer. To this day I still feel that they are very good. However, Wonderful 101 is not only filled with gameplay problems, but it has a story that did nothing but annoy me and almost encourage me to shut the game off. Between bad jokes, bad puns, an extreme abundance of stereotypes, and quirky 4th wall humor that was supposed to be clever I guess, this game is something that if weren't for it's great combat I would have shut off after the first few hours. Hideki Kamiya strikes me as a 10 year old who thinks he's a lot funnier than he really is, putting on a show and begging the player to laugh at every corner, but he is a talented game designer. The drawing mechanic is one of the most clever things i've ever seen before. My only issue with it is how complicated and annoying it started to become as drawing certain objects would get confused for the wrong objects as I would collect more formations. It became difficult to distinguish things like the whip and the claws. The game was laughably difficult or cryptic at times, asking the player to understand things that were never explained. I can't help but feel retarded when the game wants me to slash something with the sword but refuses to give any hints that I am supposed to do so. Another problem is the constant battles with the main villain, popping up about 6 times throughout the game and lasting upwards of 15-20 minutes each sometimes. The game seems like it was meant to be played on easy the first time playing and it feels like normal is only an appropriate difficulty once you've upgraded a bunch. I find it ridiculous that normal mode expects such intense reflexes assuming it's what most people would play. And I am an experienced gamer, I did finish the game on normal without too many problems, but I just felt that certain sections were asking a lot from anybody playing for the first time. Overall, this game was okay, with cringe-worthy dialogue and plot and great combat. Expand
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    The Wonderful 101 is a whirlwind of action adventure that doesn't borrow from others. It holds it's own ground of originality that shows what happens when you get companys like Platinum Games and Nintendo on the same side. Don't mistake this to be a Pikmin like game because it is far from it.
    Visuals are top notch in a fluid 60fps stage of a fast paced action world of colorful particle effects and cleverly designed characters. The cartoon feel compliments the color pallet that drives the visuals to a certain degree of saturday morning fun.
    Gameplay, a little tricky at first proves it could be enjoyed by everyone. You have a choice to use the gamepad to execute wonder morphs, right analogue stick, or even the wii U pro controller. Drawing on the gamepad works but forces you to look away from the screen which I would recommend the right analogue for execution but luckily when the move is being preformed the whole world slows down so you can get it right without being pummeled right away. You can play the whole game on the gamepad but who doesn't want to admire this on the big screen.
    The soundtrack is the next best thing, it fits the game PERFECTLY giving you the super hero embrace of empowerment that just compliments each boss battle and scenario. This is no synthesized soundtrack but a full orchestra backing this up. They spared no expensive when it came to the soundtrack which every great game needs.
    Convincing voice acting delivers a good balance of witty humor and cheesy dialogue that reaches not only to the younger audience but with jokes that even adults can appreciate.
    The story isn't necessarily it's strong point but like many action series such as The Thunder birds and The Power Rangers, they all shared a weekly structure they kept you coming back for more that wasn't story driven. The Wonderful 101 even on it's easy mode will kick your butt but after completing it, you can go back for a second round but with enemies shuffled around forcing you to change your strategy.
    The Wonderful 101 shouldn't be ignored because of the child like themes but should be appreciated of what it achieves. All this may sound biased but I truly believe this is a system seller that shows off what the Wii U can do when a developer like Platinum Games builds a game from the ground up. If you were on the fence about The Wonderful 101 an eShop demo is available giving you a taste of things to come.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    The Wonderful 101 bursts with charm, humour and style. It is very easy to care for the characters and their universe. But frequent trouble with the controls breaks the tempo far too often. Something that also racks up the challenge unnecessarily high in an already hard game. But at the same time the battle system is a joy, if hard to master. It’s a very good game with some rough edges that feels very well needed on the Nintendo Wii U.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    This is the kind of experience which Nintendo promised when it announced the console - the kind of experience it deserves.
    Full of ideas, humor and difficulty, The Wonderful 101 will keep you glued to the screen, which can be both good & bad. But a little bit of challenge from a difficult game never killed anyone, right? [Issue#234]