6.6

1. Oct 4, 2013
    It's funny to realize that, to this day, 2006's Micro Machines V4 is the one game I play the most in multiplayer sessions with my friends. Which is mainly why I was immediately excited when I saw the first trailer for Wii U's TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition, since it seemed to be the same kind of experience (as blatantly evidenced by the subtitle).

Now that the game is out, I can
    safely say that people who enjoyed the long-running Codemasters series will have a blast with this game as well. If you're not familiar with the general gameplay, here's the gist: this is a racing game with an isometric view, meaning it has a fixed camera and you get to see all of the up to four racers on-screen at all times. You compete against other cars not only by outrunning them, but also by disturbing them with a plethora of weapons scattered around each stage. If someone gets too badly damaged, or strays too far behind, they "die", until there's only one car left. At that point, score bonuses are distributed to each player (for example, 3 points to first place, 2 to second place, and so on), and the race resumes with all four competitors. This leads to a pretty frantic gameplay that can be tons of fun.

The game features a good selection of different ways to play, with straight-up races and score-chasing battles. Progressing through the single-player is a pleasant enough experience; it does get a little shallow from time to time, but online leaderboards are a fine addition to ensure there's some competitive spirit (even if they sometimes stake a loooooooong time to load). But, as you may have guessed, it's during local multiplayer that the game really excells. The absolute best way to experience the frenzy of TNT Racers is to have three friends come over, get some chips and beverages, and battle the day away.

The tracks are all well-designed, each featuring its own landscape theme. They don't quite have the same charm as the ones in Micro Machines, which were all built with different household objects to accomodate the tiny cars, but they're likeable enough. Graphics are nice, if somewhat simple, and the jazzy soundtrack is superb (definitely a fine surprise for me; one which reminded me of SNES's Rock 'n' Roll Racing).

All in all, TNT Racers: Nitro Machines edition is one of the most fun multiplayer experiences available in the Wii U e-Shop, and it goes for a very fair price. Get some friends, download it, and prepare for the good times.
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fun Fun Fun! One of the best Racing games one the Wii U. The Graphic especially the Effects are very good and i love it to play it while i am on drugs. Thank you Keen. Expand
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    Bought this game as it looked like a fun one. My son and I have been having a complete blast with it. The most fun I think I've had for $7.99. The races are short, but exciting with the different power ups. Kind of like Micro Machines Wii U style. Love the Wii U Game Pad as when two people are playing, you each have your own screen. It's hard to go back to the systems that you have to play split screen now. Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2013
    This game is fun and worth the low price. I am a huge fan of Twisted Metal series and the Mario Kart series, and this game gives me the thrill, excitement and fun I have playing with those games. If you're a big fan of Mario Kart and can't wait for the next Spring or Summer for the Mario Kart 8, get this and play it for a while.

1. Oct 29, 2013
    Without being a memorable game and never introducing major changes in a genre that found in Calling All Cars anirrecusable proposal, there’s still merit to justify the purchase of this TNT Racers, at least until the arrival of Project Cars and the always bombastic Mario Kart.
  2. Oct 20, 2013
    A mix of weapon-focused race types add to the gimmickry in an otherwise technically sound offering. [Dec 2013, p.69]
  3. Oct 17, 2013
    If you want a quick, fun little racer that everyone can pick up and play, then this is for you. On the other hand, if you want a game that will hold your attention for a long period of time then you may want to check out other, more traditional, racing titles. It's not bad, but it's not for everyone.