Trine 2: Director's Cut Wii U

8.0

1. Aug 26, 2013
    It's surprising to realise that one of the most gorgeous-looking games in the entire early Wii U library is merely an e-Shop release. Trine 2: Director's Cut offers puzzle-platforming action that is rendered significantly better by the sheer beauty of its scenery. Be it marching under the incredible light of the game's morning sun or sneakily jumping along rooftops on a medieval city'sIt's surprising to realise that one of the most gorgeous-looking games in the entire early Wii U library is merely an e-Shop release. Trine 2: Director's Cut offers puzzle-platforming action that is rendered significantly better by the sheer beauty of its scenery. Be it marching under the incredible light of the game's morning sun or sneakily jumping along rooftops on a medieval city's night, the visuals are nothing short of amazing, and are one of the best reasons to keep getting back to the game.

The actual gameplay, however, ends up justifying the lack of a full-fledged retail version. This is not to say Trine 2 is a bad game; it still offers a good amount of decent ideas often implemented in fun ways. The further you delve into the game, however, the more things start to drag along.

You play as a trio of heroes (a wizard, a knight, and a thief), each with their own abilities and expertise to help you solve puzzles. Things work well enough for the more action-based knight and thief characters, and their sections are often the most enjoyable. The wizard, however, requires annoying control mechanics to fully use his powers of telekinesis and conjuring objects out of thin air. That's a big shame, because those mechanics are by far the most interesting the game has to offer.

Perhaps the adventure would get less boring over time with a slightly bigger number of much shorter stages. The ones on display here have a tendency to overstay their welcome, which often made me go load up other games rather than start battling my way through a newly-unlocked Trine 2 stage.

Again, there is definitely enjoyment to be had here, especially thanks to the game's overall atmosphere of a mythical medieval quest. Levelling-up and unlockable new abilities are a nice touch, often prompting you to extend the play session just a bit more. Still, it's glaringly obvious that this game could have been much more than it is, if only its gameplay mechanics were half as jaw-dropping as its graphics.

Rating: 6.0
  2. Oct 21, 2013
    Real score: 8.5
    This game isn't without its flaws, but it does so much so well that it's still a great experience.
    Pros *Puzzles that actually make you think: Some of the puzzles are very straightforward, but as you progress, the challenge ramps up nicely. *Control options: Every action is mapped to a button or stick, but there are also touch controls for a lot of them. For most
    Real score: 8.5

Pros
    *Control options: Every action is mapped to a button or stick, but there are also touch controls for a lot of them. For most things, I go with the button or stick control, but for manipulating objects with the wizard, I really enjoyed having the touch controls available. I also enjoyed having the option to switch weapons using either a button or the touch icon (I used both, depending on the situation). You don't have to select which you want to use in a menu anywhere; both controls are available at all times, which is how it should be.
    *Off-TV play: I didn't think I would, but I played through the game almost entirely using the gamepad screen. Using the touch screen wouldn't have worked nearly as well without it.
    *Good mix of combat, puzzles, and platforming: In the beginning, the combat feels like filler, but by the end of the game, it becomes much more strategic and satisfying.
    *Graphics: As mentioned by everyone else, the artwork and the animations are amazing. I don't think I convince anyone of this, so I'll just leave it at that.

Cons:
    *Some puzzles felt repetitive: There were several points (mostly in the middle of the game) where it felt like puzzles were just there to have a puzzle there. They weren't challenging to execute, and they were solved the same way as previous ones.
    *Some touch controls were finicky: Overall the touch controls work really well, but they weren't always perfect. Sometimes the wizard's conjuring/manipulation controls seemed to be overly sensitive. I much preferred them to using the stick controls, but I conjured/destroyed when I was trying to move something (and vis versa) enough for it to be annoying at times. The room for error when touching the circle icons on the screen seemed to be a little small, too.
    *Voice actors lines are spoken too slowly: This was mostly annoying in the introductions that are read each time you load the game. The game always loads about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way into the actor's lines, so I don't know why they didn't have him read them faster to have him finish just as the game finishes loading.
    *One really annoying glitch: There was a glitch halfway through the second to last chapter that caused me to have to restart the chapter.

Overall, this game is really satisfying, and you don't have to have played the first one (I haven't) to enjoy it.

1. Mar 20, 2013
    Trine 2's tailor-made adventure will delight platform and puzzle fans alike, and the game becomes a surprisingly viable option for multiplayer bashes, too. Not the longest of games, but a beautiful ride while it lasts.
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    This is definitive version of one of the best games to come out in an absolute age. There really is no excuse not to own it.
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    Trine 2 has aged exceptionally well. This Finnish platformer is one of the best looking Wii U launch titles, although it's initial appearance happened over a year ago. This game is a solid platformer, which combines action and puzzles in just the right proportions.