7.9

1. Feb 16, 2014
    Oh. My. GOD! This game is AMAZING!

The first thing you will notice about Trine 2 is...it is BEAUTIFUL! The graphics are really good. The artstyle is utterly, jaw-droppingly GORGEOUS. And the music is enchanting. But of course, if you just wanted a beautiful game, you might as well just watch a video of it, right? So how is the gameplay? The gameplay is really fun- you play as 3
    Oh. My. GOD! This game is AMAZING!

The gameplay is really fun- you play as 3 characters who you can switch between at almost any time, with up to (I believe) 3 players in multiplayer. There is:
    -Pontius, the knight is a great fighter in close combat, and has a shield which he can use to block enemy projectiles (duh) and glide for a short amount of time.
    -Amadeus, the wizard (my favorite) can move certain objects (including enemies) and can create boxes around enemies and jump on to get to higher places-the bigger you draw the boxes, the bigger they are
    -Zoya thief can shoot arrows of different sorts and has a grappling hook that can attach to wooden platforms.
    The level design and puzzles are really clever and uses each character's strengths and weaknesses, but sometimes there is more than one way to solve a problem, which makes all the characters relevant- it never seems like one character is OP and the others are useless.
    Of course, as a Wii U game, does it have any cool features? Well, it has Off-TV Play, but the coolest feature is the way that you can use the characters' abilities with the touchscreen- aiming Zoya's arrows and Pontius' shield, and using Amadeus' magical abilities- I think the latter has the coolest touchscreen ability, because it is more comfortable to draw the boxes and move objects around with the touchscreen than with an analog stick.

And the story?
    Well, while there isn't much of one- There is a village, and it is getting attacked by goblins and other evil creatures. There is a magical object called the Trine, which teleports the 3 heroes to different places where evil lurks. Not really very original. But the voice acting is almost perfect- the narrator sounds like the narrator of a fantasy book, the thief is sly but has a kind heart, and she sounds like it. The knight is noble, but a bit dopey, and sounds the slightest bit drunk. The wizard sounds wise.

This game is just all around AMAZING.
  2. Dec 7, 2013
    Damn! Accidentally deleted my review! I'll just say that in Trine 2, the graphics are beautiful the puzzles are creative, and it supports one to three players. I hate the controls for the wizard. It's the best wii u eshop game as of writing, which, at this edit, is Dec. 2013. GET IT!
  3. Nov 12, 2013
    Find me a new $8 game that is just as good. That's right, there isn't one. It's not a full-length video game like many of us hardcore gamers are accustomed to, but it hits its mark and has some of the most sickeningly beautiful graphics you will see in a 2.5D platformer.
  4. Oct 30, 2013
    The graphics themselves is enough to get this game, but you not only get that, you get the complete game. Puzzles, multiplayer, and cutscenes are great. online multiplayer works great, and the gamepad is a great tool for this game. It goes on sale at the eshop every now and then, so keep an eye out for it. it's a must buy!

instagram: Game_Row
  5. Oct 21, 2013
    Real score: 8.5
    This game isn't without its flaws, but it does so much so well that it's still a great experience.
    Pros *Puzzles that actually make you think: Some of the puzzles are very straightforward, but as you progress, the challenge ramps up nicely. *Control options: Every action is mapped to a button or stick, but there are also touch controls for a lot of them. For most
    Real score: 8.5

Pros
    *Control options: Every action is mapped to a button or stick, but there are also touch controls for a lot of them. For most things, I go with the button or stick control, but for manipulating objects with the wizard, I really enjoyed having the touch controls available. I also enjoyed having the option to switch weapons using either a button or the touch icon (I used both, depending on the situation). You don't have to select which you want to use in a menu anywhere; both controls are available at all times, which is how it should be.
    *Off-TV play: I didn't think I would, but I played through the game almost entirely using the gamepad screen. Using the touch screen wouldn't have worked nearly as well without it.
    *Good mix of combat, puzzles, and platforming: In the beginning, the combat feels like filler, but by the end of the game, it becomes much more strategic and satisfying.
    *Graphics: As mentioned by everyone else, the artwork and the animations are amazing. I don't think I convince anyone of this, so I'll just leave it at that.

Cons:
    *Some puzzles felt repetitive: There were several points (mostly in the middle of the game) where it felt like puzzles were just there to have a puzzle there. They weren't challenging to execute, and they were solved the same way as previous ones.
    *Some touch controls were finicky: Overall the touch controls work really well, but they weren't always perfect. Sometimes the wizard's conjuring/manipulation controls seemed to be overly sensitive. I much preferred them to using the stick controls, but I conjured/destroyed when I was trying to move something (and vis versa) enough for it to be annoying at times. The room for error when touching the circle icons on the screen seemed to be a little small, too.
    *Voice actors lines are spoken too slowly: This was mostly annoying in the introductions that are read each time you load the game. The game always loads about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way into the actor's lines, so I don't know why they didn't have him read them faster to have him finish just as the game finishes loading.
    *One really annoying glitch: There was a glitch halfway through the second to last chapter that caused me to have to restart the chapter.

Overall, this game is really satisfying, and you don't have to have played the first one (I haven't) to enjoy it.
  6. Aug 26, 2013
    It's surprising to realise that one of the most gorgeous-looking games in the entire early Wii U library is merely an e-Shop release. Trine 2: Director's Cut offers puzzle-platforming action that is rendered significantly better by the sheer beauty of its scenery. Be it marching under the incredible light of the game's morning sun or sneakily jumping along rooftops on a medieval city'sIt's surprising to realise that one of the most gorgeous-looking games in the entire early Wii U library is merely an e-Shop release. Trine 2: Director's Cut offers puzzle-platforming action that is rendered significantly better by the sheer beauty of its scenery. Be it marching under the incredible light of the game's morning sun or sneakily jumping along rooftops on a medieval city's night, the visuals are nothing short of amazing, and are one of the best reasons to keep getting back to the game.

The actual gameplay, however, ends up justifying the lack of a full-fledged retail version. This is not to say Trine 2 is a bad game; it still offers a good amount of decent ideas often implemented in fun ways. The further you delve into the game, however, the more things start to drag along.

You play as a trio of heroes (a wizard, a knight, and a thief), each with their own abilities and expertise to help you solve puzzles. Things work well enough for the more action-based knight and thief characters, and their sections are often the most enjoyable. The wizard, however, requires annoying control mechanics to fully use his powers of telekinesis and conjuring objects out of thin air. That's a big shame, because those mechanics are by far the most interesting the game has to offer.

Perhaps the adventure would get less boring over time with a slightly bigger number of much shorter stages. The ones on display here have a tendency to overstay their welcome, which often made me go load up other games rather than start battling my way through a newly-unlocked Trine 2 stage.

Again, there is definitely enjoyment to be had here, especially thanks to the game's overall atmosphere of a mythical medieval quest. Levelling-up and unlockable new abilities are a nice touch, often prompting you to extend the play session just a bit more. Still, it's glaringly obvious that this game could have been much more than it is, if only its gameplay mechanics were half as jaw-dropping as its graphics.

Rating: 6.0
  7. Aug 19, 2013
    I really enjoyed Trine 2. It's a 2.5D puzzle platformer with some fighting in the mix. The core mechanic of the game is, at the tap of a button, switching between 3 main characters to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. Each character has their own personal abilities. One you use to fight enemies while the other may not be a good fighter but is agile etc. One of the best things about Trine 2I really enjoyed Trine 2. It's a 2.5D puzzle platformer with some fighting in the mix. The core mechanic of the game is, at the tap of a button, switching between 3 main characters to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. Each character has their own personal abilities. One you use to fight enemies while the other may not be a good fighter but is agile etc. One of the best things about Trine 2 is that even though the developers designed the puzzles to be solved in some particular way, there is always a chance you could come up with your own solution. That in itself makes the gameplay very fun and addicting, I was constantly trying to find my own solutions. The games environments are also very beautiful. They take you through lush forests, castles, from sunny beaches to snowy capped mountains. I can forgive the games length for its price. It can last up to about 6 hours and there is extra content at the end. I loved the off screen play too, you can control things with the stylus, a perfect way of handling point and click which standard console controllers have not handled as gracefully. Overall it was a very fun experience and definitely worth the small price. As of writing this review it's currently on sale. Pick it up! Expand
  8. Jun 29, 2013
    The entire way through Trine 2: Director's Cut, I found myself thinking the same few words over and over again. Beautiful! Gorgeous! Stunning! This game is, by far, the most aesthetically pleasing game I have ever played. Or even seen! Such is its beauty, you'll find yourself so mesmerised that you won't even be bothered that the physics aren't quite what you'd hoped for. However, overThe entire way through Trine 2: Director's Cut, I found myself thinking the same few words over and over again. Beautiful! Gorgeous! Stunning! This game is, by far, the most aesthetically pleasing game I have ever played. Or even seen! Such is its beauty, you'll find yourself so mesmerised that you won't even be bothered that the physics aren't quite what you'd hoped for. However, over time, you will adapt to the physics and it will hardly be a hindrance from then on. Apart from the obvious visual brilliance which the game possesses, Trine 2: Director's Cut contains many puzzling challenges throughout the course of the game. In order to solve them, you must consider the abilities of your three heroes: Amadeus the Wizard, Pontius the Knight and Zoya the Thief. The game is quite long, making it well worth its standard $20 AUD price tag in the eShop. Plus, the addition of multiplayer and headset compatibility adds greatly to the game's play time. In short, Trine 2: Director's Cut is a breath of fresh air despite its imperfections. If you are seeking a unique 2D puzzling experience with copious amounts of vivacity and flair, then picking up this game should be a no-brainer. And you shan't be disappointed! Expand
  9. Mar 23, 2013
    Trine 2 is a great game for wii u! the graphics is amazing. You use 3 characters, 1 appears on the screen at a time and you press L or tap the icons on the gamepad to switch, as you go along, the controls are easy to understand. It is best on wii u because you can drag and drop items on the wii u gamepad (boxes, planks, tap things). For me, some bits can be hard... some puzzles can takeTrine 2 is a great game for wii u! the graphics is amazing. You use 3 characters, 1 appears on the screen at a time and you press L or tap the icons on the gamepad to switch, as you go along, the controls are easy to understand. It is best on wii u because you can drag and drop items on the wii u gamepad (boxes, planks, tap things). For me, some bits can be hard... some puzzles can take you long to figure them out, it depends on how good you are at games. The voice over is brilliant. Collapse
  10. Mar 13, 2013
    an incredible game from start to finish, as you progress the puzzles become more involved and your problem solving skills will be put to the test! some slight control issues with the physics will give you trouble from time to time, but it doesn't affect gameplay as a whole. graphics are beautiful and the characters are fun. overall this is a gaming experience not to be missed!
  11. Jan 22, 2013
    Trine 2 directors cut for the Wii U forces you to really look at your surroundings in order to progress. This is no straight up side scroll beat'em up. Every character has there use in order to move on. Visuals are amazing down to the sprites and water effects. If you were on the fence about getting this, do it. There's a charming story to be told.
  12. Dec 9, 2012
    Tres beau jeu; grosse claque au niveau visuel; le gameplay est original, l'utilisation de la mablette bien pensé. Melange de plateforme et d'énigmes a résoudre le jeu vous tiendra en haleine un bon moment.
    Bref rapport qualité prix au top.
    Note : le téléchargement m'a pris 40 min installation comprise.
  13. Mar 23, 2013

1. Mar 20, 2013
    Trine 2's tailor-made adventure will delight platform and puzzle fans alike, and the game becomes a surprisingly viable option for multiplayer bashes, too. Not the longest of games, but a beautiful ride while it lasts.
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    This is definitive version of one of the best games to come out in an absolute age. There really is no excuse not to own it.
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    Trine 2 has aged exceptionally well. This Finnish platformer is one of the best looking Wii U launch titles, although it's initial appearance happened over a year ago. This game is a solid platformer, which combines action and puzzles in just the right proportions.