• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2012
7.5

1. Jul 29, 2013
    After reading reviews that were either great or quite bad, I was still intrigued by this game. after passing it this is a great ride and is definitely worth a visit. the atmosphere and tension in this game is terrific I could feel my heart pumping sometimes as you never know what to expect around the corner. This is survival horror and you will die many times but this is part of the fun. There are some issues I had loading times were sometimes all over the place when just opening a door and it would be great if you could mark things on your map so you know where you need to trace back to if necessary.

You aren't given an unlimited supply of ammo or health recovery but this is part of the fun you really need to plan and strategise how you will survive for the next mission and I really liked this. The Wii U game pad is also used well serving as a map, inventory holder and also a cool feature where you can use it to scan your surroundings in the game for hidden secrets or messages. I was quite impressed and had a great time with it.

This game may not be for everyone but if you want a suspenseful, scary yet fun game this is for you. Patience is key to this game if you don't have it, then you won't survive very long.
  2. Sep 5, 2013
    What can videogames produce? What is their goal? I do believe VG are art, so they want to communicate, create experiences. ZombiU is one of the freshest experiences out there. You'll see people speaking about graphics and bla bla bla, this game is a MUST HAVE, an unique experience. Do you want to play generic games or have unique experiences? Your call
  3. Sep 18, 2013
    This is the game that made me buy the Wii U. ZombiU is as survival as it can be. Every zombie is a threat, ammo is limited, and dying have consequences (in most cases you lose your stuff, and you have to go from your safe house to where you died to recover them). This game doesn't pause when you look at your inventory, read some document, or picklock a door (but there is a pause button, if you need a break and you haven't saved). The difficulty is medium to hard; but it can be increased with the option of 1 life game over.

The graphics are average (for today standards); but if you are used to Wii games, you'll look at this as a huge improvement. The overall ambiance feels dark, deserted, and sometimes frightening. The horror factor comes from the sound department, the eerie locations, and occasionally sudden panic situations (like a horde coming to kill you).

It lacks online multiplayer mode; but there is offline multiplayer, with one player controling the survivor with a Wiimote and nunchuck, or a Wii U Controller Pro, and the other deploys zombies in the map with the gamepad. Here the game is more action oriented. In single player mode, the game keeps a score that is published online, and appears in other people games if it's on the top ones.

ZombiU had the potential of being the best horror game in this generation; but it fell short in the graphic aspect, and it didn't went as deep into twisted situations that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia did. However it's still a great game, and I highly recommend it.
  4. May 4, 2014
    ZombiU is an amazing Zombie Survival horror game. Call me a fanboy, but I love the survival element in the game. What people don't like in it is that it's actually challenging. Every corner, every street and every hallway can have a painful death. Its scary, quick paced and the local multiplayer is fun! The big problem I had was the lack of weapons. Really, all I need is a shotgun and a pistol, but you get the idea. It needed a lot more weapons. Not coming from a "fanboy" perspective...I just liked the challenge. ZombiU gets 9/10. Expand
  5. Jul 11, 2014
    No Other Game Like It On Consoles Or PC. Now I Find Every Other Game To Be Irrelevant To Me. Zombi U Has Extremely Fun Gameplay. Cricket Bat is utterly boring. But I manage to go through most of the game without it. BECAUSE I MANAGE. I PREPARE. AND THATS WHAT THIS GAME TEACHES YOU. PREPARATION. USE NEW METHODS. SURVIVE.

The story builds up at a very good pace, but what lies under it is
    a great amount of subtext.

I'm just going to say... best game made by Ubisoft to date.
  6. Feb 19, 2014
    This game certainly deserved better reviews than what it got. The controls were frustrating at first, but then I actually grew to like the sense of limited movement. Its not like CoD at all. It feels like you are actually controlling a human body and all the physical limitations that entails. It contributes greatly to the frantic, scrambling, survival sense. The game has some genuine fright to it and has a 2 player mode that is not only funny, but also creative and extremely entertaining. I wouldve liked to see more options with melee combat besides a single weapon (a cricket bat) since you are very limited on ammo, but I think Ubisoft did a great thing with this game, and I would love to see a sequel where they refine some of these issues. Expand
  7. Nov 13, 2013
    Situative fear is just awesome in this game! You really fear for your life, not like in resident evils or whatever. Love it and the way you can explore and search for stuff, use it wise!
  8. Nov 16, 2013
    I actually give it a 10 because it was a 3rd party game ready at launch that utilizes the WiiU gamepad tremendously. Feature after feauture consistantly very impressive. It is the game I still play the most often. Lots to do and discover. It is a true survival horror game that is fun to pick up and play and very intense with a sound system or even playing the game in the dark. It can be scary. Don't panic. Good luck! Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    I have no clue why so many critics gave this game a bad review. Sure, there are some bugs, but none of them are game-breaking. It's a great game, and I would love for Ubisoft to make a sequel and fix some things and add a few things that are missing, but the game itself is pretty amazing, and one of the only games i have ever played, on any system, that has made me truly scared.
  10. Jul 19, 2014
    I can't remember playing a game that keeps you on edge more than this. It isn't perfect by any means but the experience of playing it is top notch. Using headphones amplifies that feeling of terror as you hear zombies lurking or coming for you. Ubisoft uses the gamepad as well as any game thus far. It could use more polish and refinement but graphically it was very good. They definitely took some shortcuts with the routes you needed to take to get to places looking too similar. It is a must own game for the Wii U though and really..only a couple stupid reviews (IGN) keep this score down. It's a solid 8 overall but a 9 for the Wii U. Expand
  11. Jul 5, 2014
    This is exactly what a wii u game should play like , it utilizes the gamepad perfectly and its an also very fun survivor horror first person shooter , lots of weapons to choose from , zombies to kill , and hidden paths everywhere , it was a great launch title , nowadays you can get it for 20$ and its worth every penny
  12. Dec 24, 2013
    (This is a very long review that goes in depth) I'm a bit late to the ZombiU launch date, this was supposed to be one of the Wii U's main launch title and was supposed to showcase how to the gamepad can be used in harmony with the TV.It does that exactly. ZombiU is Zombie thriller that focuses not on the shoot and hope you dont die gameplay but instead takes Zombie killing back to its roots.Focusing in on planning, conservation of ammo, if you try to run and shoot on this you are going to last 10 minutes.ZombiU reminds me of the days back when the N64 had resident evil. You were on edge, it was tough gameplay you had to be wise with the little ammo you had. ZombiU is probably one of the greatest Zombie games ever and one of the greatest FPS games ever. ZombiU in my opinion has achieved its goal of being realistic, tense but at the same time give a Zombie experience that is ultimately fun and memorable. The story line is a bit confusing at places especially at the start with Some "Prepper" telling what to do but does get interesting I wont spoil the fun though.I'll split the rest of the review into specific features of the game.

Setting/Location-
    The setting being London is an interesting choice to say the least as here in the UK you would have trouble finding any firearm unless its an air rifle. Also being set in London a city makes the chances of anyone owning an axe or chainsaw extremely unlikely but that all aside, I personally love the settings a trip to the The Tower Of London is something I will not likely forget. If have you played the demo you would have completed the nursery level, that nursery is one the most scariest Zombie experience I have ever had. 9/10

Combat-
    A lot of people complain about the clunky combat in this game and the lack of extra melee weapons but this all adds to the realism of the game, as I said earlier its unlikely that you will find anything better. As for the clunky combat I dont think its that clunky but this also adds to the ever increasing difficulty of the game. A great way to get more used to the combat is to play the multiplayer which is excellent. The combat at times is very clunky but again gives you a challenge (And I play it on Chicken Level). There is quite a range of guns to find and use from the Desert Eagle (Known in the game as the magnum I think) to the silent deadly Crossbow which is a very fun weapon to use. 8/10

Difficulty-
    I would like to think I'm quite the expert gamer choosing to play a lot of games on the hardest setting, but this was a challenge for me I chose to play on Chicken which was the only one other that normal. I assume it makes the zombies more docile and not quite as sharp but even with that 3 hours I had already died 5 times. Which sounds fine if I was playing a simple die and respawn from the last checkpoint game but alas this game decided to put an interesting spin in that, everytime you die in this game you respawn but at the safe house and as a different survivor, your previous survivor has now turned into a zombie and has all of its weapons with it and you have to go and find to get it all back. Making this a frustrating yet challenging way to die and respawn. 10/10

Multiplayer-
    A small feature with huge potential. Multiplayer is a great way to showcase the gamepads features and makes me wish there was a RTS game for Wii U. Play as the King of Zombies who can spawn zombies to attack a survivor (Player 2 with a Wii Nunchuk Combo or Wii U Pro Controller) capture flags and try to stop the survivor capturing flags. I have had a lot of fun with multiplayer unfortunately limited by only playing with 2 players this shows what can be done in the future with FPS games imagine spawning MW3 juggernauts to try and kill the other players and this could be done online. There are 3 modes in ZombiU's multiplayer Assault basically CTF, Kill Box where the survivor just needs to kill as many zombies as they can, Survival where its time based as opposed to kill based (this is a Uplay reward)
    Overall Multiplayer has a lot of potential 9/10

Graphics-
    This is a let-down unfortunately they're not great but they aren't necessarily bad, they could just be improved is all I will say. 7/10

Gamepad Use-
    This is amazing giving a constant map, letting you scan rooms for items saves so much time but the gamepad use also adds another great amount of difficulty as the game does not pause for you while arranging your equipment or picking a lock so while your attention is fixed on the gamepad on the TV a zombie could be right behind you this adds more difficulty to the game. Overall this game gives us the reason why the Wii U has a gamepad 10/10

Overall this is a must buy and with the talk of a 26th December eshop sale with ZombiU being reduced to 7.99 there is no reason not to buy this. This game has laid down the foundation for many more great Wii U games. I hope there is a sequel even if it has to be cross platform. 9/10 game
  13. Mar 14, 2014
    I absolutely love Zombi U. Don't expect a game where you'll be immersed in some incredible storyline and lovable characters-this game isn't really about that. It's all about creating a terrifying atmosphere where you feel really alone and where you get legitimately scared and panicked when a group of zombies comes out of nowhere. Sometimes I find myself fumbling through my inventory haphazardly when I'm caught off guard by zombies because I wasn't prepared for it. It's a rush! I even start shooting poorly because I'm so panicked. It's just plain creepy and unpredictable. Best part about it is that once you die, you start as a new survivor with hardly any supplies (I'm sure you knew that). But that makes me try SO HARD to stay alive, making any zombie encounter terrifyingly realistic. Most first person shooters can't create those types of emotions because you know you'll just respawn again in a location right near where you died and you don't have anything to lose. Not in Zombi U. Survival means everything. Highly recommended. Expand
  14. Jun 5, 2014
    I bought this at launch along with New Super Mario and CoD Black Ops 2. I played this through over and over again. Whenever I tried the other games I got bored and went back to ZombiU. I have no idea how people can hate on this. I imagine they were brought up on modern games that are really just linear movie like experiences with save points every two minutes.

My wife actually loves
    watching me play ZombiU and will bribe me to play it just so she can watch. Expand
  15. Jul 7, 2014
    One of the few modern day survival horror games. It is thrilling, intense and you will die.

If you can look past the obvious flaws you will find a great and terrifying experience
  16. Jul 11, 2014
    I would rate the scare factor up there with Fatal Frame. I would rate the zombie content next to Resident Evil. I felt that the game play was satisfactory and the graphics were good, not great, but definitely solid. The bugs have been fixed as far as I can tell. I have never encountered any except for when I phased through a gate getting an item. I didn't mind though because it saved me time walking the long way around to get it lol. The game is slow, that is until you learn how to play it. The slow pace builds suspense. It is an intense game and I love it. On my second play through I figured out how to use crawl points and bottle necks to kill zombies easier. I've also found explosives in the areas I can shoot to kill more zombies, learned how to use the flares, mines, and molotov cocktails. The thing is you need to learn how to survive and once you do this game becomes awesome and allows for multiple strategies. Most people I've seen play this hate it because they don't understand it and how to play it properly. It is not a FPS run and gun. You have to think about your next move if you want to survive. Expand

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.