• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2012
7.6

1. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game has a new way to survive and play,but shows the parts that are repeated and eliminate the fear and the actions is running out , the gamepad is fun at first but finishing the game is boring Expand
  2. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is good and uses the game pad well however there are a few problems for example, the lack of online co-op multi-player, the graphics seem to be lacking, the game is also to linear for my liking. Overall the game is good however i still think it could do with a few more features and updates.
  3. Nov 30, 2012
    The graphics are bad, the animations are bad, the combat is dull and repetitive, and the game is incredibly buggy. I have run into two separate game breaking bugs. Other than that there was general buggyness, things like context sensitive actions sometimes not showing up. I cannot even complete the final mission because a mission critical item disappeared from my inventory. This game hadThe graphics are bad, the animations are bad, the combat is dull and repetitive, and the game is incredibly buggy. I have run into two separate game breaking bugs. Other than that there was general buggyness, things like context sensitive actions sometimes not showing up. I cannot even complete the final mission because a mission critical item disappeared from my inventory. This game had so much promise, and even though i prepared myself for disappointment I cannot believe how badly this game was made. Expand
  4. Nov 30, 2012
    I still don't see why a few outlets gave this game such negative reviews, fans of survival horror this is the game you have been waiting for. I personaly havent experienced this kind of enjoyment for a game since the first devil may cry. the only critical thing i would say is i feel the bat should be more effective but then it probably would be too easy if they changed that.
  5. Nov 30, 2012
    This game is pretty good. im glad i picked it up. its a modern day resident evil 2 minus the crappy walking... this is in my top five of games, i truly believe it gets bad reviews because its hard, and not an easy zergfest. they dont hold your hand through it like most games anymore. id say its for hardcore gamers
  6. Dec 1, 2012
    First things first - I singed up with Metacritic just to put forward my dismay at the unfair reviews this title has received. Don't listen to the unusually wayward wafflings of some those big American sites. ZombiU is a more than solid wii u launch title.
    If such a thing is possible in the world of a zombi apocalypse, this game is a breath of fresh air. Dark, gritty and very real, it makes use of impressive lighting effects and eerie audio detail to create a truly tense, gripping atmosphere. No balls out, 200 round per second mayhem here - at least nothing even close to it until the end - ZombiU is all about picking your battles, scavenging for every last scrap of ammo and, more than just occassionally, resorting to the nearest blunt instrument in a final frantic attempt to save your own skin.
    Moreoever, playing ZombiU feels like a fresh and new experience, almost - dare we say it - next gen. Pay no heed to those who throw around words like 'gimmicky' when referring to ZombiU's use of the gamepad. For the most part it works. Scrambling though your inventory live or fumbling to hack a door lock as the monsters approach on the other screen is a new, often exciting experience and scanning for objects that you would otherwise miss the in the shadowy back streets of London is genuinely useful. Occasionally, ZombiU will throw in a tablet mini game that feels a little unnecessary or 'gimmicky'. Occasionally.
    Quite why ZombiU has received anything other than A star reviews is beyond me. Some may claim that the game could look a little better, produced as it is on the very latest home console hardware money can buy. Such comments are fair, but visually this game is all about light and shade rather meticulous visual detail and the lighting effects in this game are VERY impressive. Some may also claim that the game is frustratingly difficult. That is the point. To create the kind of tension that ZombiU so often does, it is essential that the player feels the possibility of death lurking in every shadow and around every corner. And in death ZombiU brings it's final trick into play. Your character lives on infected, and you must hunt them down to reclaim the equipment and ammo you so desperately need. ZombiU will take you out countless times, but there is no feeling of pointless repetition. You will enjoy the challenge that follows.
    Nintendo took the decision to package this game with their new machine for a reason. Trust them. It's a purchase you won't regret.
  7. Dec 1, 2012
    Finally an outstanding zombie survival game and brings back old Resident Evil feel to new life. The multiplayer feature is great and I hope it expands I lovesurvival modes especially online. Art Style is nice, but Still needs an upgrade. The Wii U controller brings back zombies and I love inventory uses. This is next generation gaming.
  8. Dec 2, 2012
    It would be difficult to offer any review for ZombiU without words like "intense", "atmospheric", or "terrifying." While this game rewards those who play with caution after your first handful of deaths, you'll get a sense for what works and what doesn't, and this will likely allow for a better flow, and a more enjoyable experience. The features that make this a "WiiU" game may take someIt would be difficult to offer any review for ZombiU without words like "intense", "atmospheric", or "terrifying." While this game rewards those who play with caution after your first handful of deaths, you'll get a sense for what works and what doesn't, and this will likely allow for a better flow, and a more enjoyable experience. The features that make this a "WiiU" game may take some getting used to, and most will find-- after they have become accustomed to managing your inventory while remaining vulnerable to attacks, for example-- that these features simply work and add to the gameplay experience. Scanning a room with your gamepad becomes second nature with time, and offers something that you've never been able to experience in a game before. In many ways, ZombiU may very well be more about what a player DOESN'T know as it is anything else. At first this can be a titch frustrating, as trying to figure out just how to use your weapons efficiently and effectively can lead to accidental deaths. The games refusal to hold your hand can land you into some tough spots and some early mistakes you make may be more due to your general cluelessness as a supposed Zombie Apocalypse survivor (read, "noob"), than it is to fair and challenging gameplay. But these moments will pass soon enough, if you give the game a chance. Over time you will become familiar with game and the element of the unknown will shift from frustrations to intrigue. "What's around that corner?" "Is that animal showing up on my radar a bird or a Zombie?" "What does a survivor have to do to get a working map around here!?" may all be questions that are asked repeatedly, while moody, understated music and solid graphics carry you along through an overall very enjoyable experience. In short, this game is a unique experience which is not without its faults or frustrations, though overall provides an intensely enjoyable thrill that can keep a player up at night either playing it, or for those who are more timid/easily scared, making it harder to sleep. If this is a sign of things to come for the WiiU, it's going to be a great ride. Expand
  9. Dec 3, 2012
    I nearly cancelled my pre-order of the special zombi u console after reading the ign and gamespot reviews because they where so bad. But it was to late for me to cancel so I ended up having to get it. So I got and played and I don't understand what ign and gamespot where playing. Zombi u is invative and really brings back the tension in to the survival horror genre. If you whereI nearly cancelled my pre-order of the special zombi u console after reading the ign and gamespot reviews because they where so bad. But it was to late for me to cancel so I ended up having to get it. So I got and played and I don't understand what ign and gamespot where playing. Zombi u is invative and really brings back the tension in to the survival horror genre. If you where disappointed by the action focused resident evil 6 this year, zombi u is what you have been waiting! Expand
  10. Dec 3, 2012
    This is a true survival horror game.
    Try the game for yourself and then decide if you like it. Don't let reviews make your mind up for you.
    This is a true survival horror game.
    Not since Resident Evil 2 on the PS1 have I felt that I have played a true scary zombie game, until now. The later incarnations of the RE series has turned it from the amazing survival horror it used to be, to an action based, guns blazing, Gears of War attempted clone.
    ZombiU actually makes you not want to use your gun for the fear of running out of ammunition.
    So you will find yourself actually avoiding Zombies and steering away from them as to not risk dying, and/or wasting precious ammo.
    The gamepad features are great, however, some may consider them to have flaws, depending on how you approach the game. For example, changing weapons, you have to select the particular weapon you want on the gamepad screen; changing your inventory items around, using med-kits and different items.
    Pros - touch screen interface, select the desired weapon/item with a simple press.
    Cons - have to look away from the TV screen to organise inventory to select specific items.

I consider the cons of this a good thing, it adds to the suspence and forces you to prepare for situations before walking in blindly.
    If this was a real life situation and you had a backpack of limited goodies and weapons, you would actually have to stop and go through your stuff of collectiables the same way to find what you want.
    And yes, although this is just a video game and shouldn't be compared to a hypothetical situation in real life, it's "survival horror", and it's doing an amazing job of it.

Graphics - Fantastic for current-generation, not quite Next-Gen worthy as it is a launch title. It has a dirty grainy look all over for atmospheric purposes which may be getting mistaken for "bad graphics" by some "critics."

Controls - Typical First-person with some unique additions. Left Trigger to aim, Right Trigger to shoot. If you don't aim before you fire , your character will just "shove" for those close encounters when trying to push Zombies away from you.
    It plays quite different from a typical Call of Duty game, which are meant for a more cinematic experience/presentation and just all out action and fancy effects (yes, even the Zombie mode in Black Ops 2).

Ubisoft did a great job and I commend them for their efforts on this. It's immersive, scary and definitely a worthwhile purchase for the Wii U.
  11. Dec 4, 2012
    People saying this is below 8 are crazy. Its survival horror and should be hard, dark, moody, scary, limited attack capabilities, etc. Its not an adventure or shooter or anything else. This is by far the best game of this genre in a long time.

The graphics, while not AC3, BF3, and so one, are still great. The lighting is perfect. The grimy and dark textures fit the idea behind the game. Additionally, its a new IP on a new console. Ubisoft was taking a risk and couldn't go all out with a tens of millions of dollars in a budget. However, they still look fantastic in HD running at 720p at a stable framerate. If you're complaining about the graphics, then why are you on consoles. You obviously need to be on high-end PCs.

The controls are perfect. The gamepad adds incredible options as well as a significant part of the complexity and unique balance in this survival horror where you can be killed without proper planning due to the time involved in using your backpack or limited weapons with quick access. Then you have integration with your friends. OMG this is awesome. Either the multiplayer (which basically is a shooter at this point) or that your friends dead survivors appear in your game, you'll love it.

This game deserves to at least be in the 8.5 range and its easily a top5 game on WiiU right now. If you like a challenge, like to be scared or at least on the edge of your seat a lot, you need this game.
  12. Dec 6, 2012
    ZombiU. Much discrepancy has been had over this game. Either you love it or you hate it. I went in a bit skeptical due to some of the negative reviews I had seen of the game. I am very happy that I chose to purchase it however. This game is true survival horror.

Those expecting a game like Resident evil 6 or dead space will be disappointed...as this is not a game in that same vein. This game is about slow, tense, careful planning and conserving...with occasional spikes of terror and a constant feeling of nervousness while playing.

This game does NOT hold your hand. You will die, and you will die alot. Dark souls with zombies? You might not be too far off. The graphics are average, yet the world and setting that have been crafted here are top notch.

The use of the gamepad really brings it home here, making the experience more tense and intuitive without making it feel very gimmicky.

If more games are crafted like this, the WiiU has a bright future ahead of it indeed.

13. Dec 7, 2012
    As one of Wii U launch titles thing game delivers an experience unlike anything else on the market. 10 out of 10 this is the Wii U Killer app. You must play this game if you own a Wii U
  14. Dec 26, 2012
    Zombi U is a launch title for the Wii U. After playing is for a few hours, I think I can judge this game fairly. The game takes place somewhere in London, and, obviously, something very bad has happened. The plot consists of an unknown man talking to you via gamepad, which is a nice touch, making it feel like a walkie talkie or something of that nature. I am never unsure of what myZombi U is a launch title for the Wii U. After playing is for a few hours, I think I can judge this game fairly. The game takes place somewhere in London, and, obviously, something very bad has happened. The plot consists of an unknown man talking to you via gamepad, which is a nice touch, making it feel like a walkie talkie or something of that nature. I am never unsure of what my objective is or where I should be heading. There are plenty of items stashed in hard to see places, which is good for collectors, but there is limited inventory space. Should I take the planks and buy myself a few seconds behind a door or an energy drink and sprint into the hoard? I also found myself taking note of where more useful items were (flares), and always making room for that medi-pack. It's nice not being bombarded by items in your inventory, which is controlled on the gamepad screen. There is limited ammo in the game, and you can't take much damage which makes this a true survival horror game. You need to have a strategy, diversions, and play it safe. You definitely will not be running and gunning. Rather, sneaking and cricket batting. which, in my opinion, makes for great suspense. You never know what is around the next corner or behind the next door. When it comes time for combat you have to swing precisely, as far as your distance from the zombie, and always be moving and watching your back. Those zombies will come out of the woodwork once they get started. The only real complaint I have about the combat is the variety of weapons, or lack thereof. A crowbar? Baseball bat? Even an awl? Anything with even a slightly different feel or swing mechanic would be welcome. As for guns and such, conserve your ammo until you really feel you need it, because it is scarce. This game isn't exactly a walk in the park. Once your character is overrun by the flesh eating demons, which is very likely to happen, you revert to the initial safe-house, arcade style. A new character will be summoned and briefed by the "narrator" through the gamepad. All the items your previous character had are now strapped to the back of one of those vile creatures leaving you no other choice than to trek back to your corpse and take the pack. This is a great idea making the gameplay suspenseful, progressive, and gives a little old school feel to it. You can unlock shortcuts along the way so you never have to travel too far to retrieve your corpse, unless you pass over a shortcut I suppose. There have been a lot of complaints about graphics. This is a Nintendo system, and it has, by far, the best graphics I have ever seen on a Nintendo system. On par with Xbox 360 games now(I haven't played Ps3 enough to compare). Also, this is a launch title, so it is very impressive what they have done as far as high definition on their first attempt. No, it isn't photo real, but I don't need that in my games. It is fun regardless. The lighting is done very well and does a good job of creating that spooky environment along with the sound effects and the music. Overall, this is a great game. It brings back the suspenseful feeling I haven't felt since the first Resident Evil games, along with frustration at the demise of your 1,500 point character who was befallen by a Buckingham Guard. The attack mechanic is a little clunky, but I don't think that necessarily works against the game, but the lack of different melee weapons surely does. The gamepad integration is awesome! I give this game an 8/10. A great mature game on a Nintendo system, hopefully we will see many more. Expand
  15. Dec 9, 2012
    Very good survival game; thx ubi.
    This game isn't made for casual; difficulty level is high.
    En francais : excellent jeu pas fait pour les **** joueurs cependant; direction artistique de toute beauté a mon goût
  16. Aug 31, 2014
    ZombiU is a very refreshing game, that deserves being praised a lot more than it was. Don't expect to be running around blasting zombies with a rocket launcher! No, you'll be slowly moving in dark corridors, checking every corner, and praying you won't run into a pack of zombies because you are almost out of ammo... There is a lot of tension, as the game is unforgiving and a small mistakeZombiU is a very refreshing game, that deserves being praised a lot more than it was. Don't expect to be running around blasting zombies with a rocket launcher! No, you'll be slowly moving in dark corridors, checking every corner, and praying you won't run into a pack of zombies because you are almost out of ammo... There is a lot of tension, as the game is unforgiving and a small mistake can get you killed (and the death mechanics are really cool, putting high pressure in the recovery of your former self's gear). A really great game if you're up to a (scary) challenge! Expand
  17. Dec 11, 2012
    survival horror is back
    survival horror is back
    Immersive and fresh reinstallment of the survival horror genre after it got killed by action shooters like resident evil 4 or dead space 2. This game can without a doubt be placed next to resident evil 2, silent hill 2 or dead space 1. Standing out gameplay instead of shooter action, story by atmosphere and gameplay like demon souls instead of hollywood on the rail cutscenes, innovative controls (prepper pad!!!!), slow paced hard and creepy horror with atmosphere.Love it or hate it.
  18. Dec 13, 2012
    One of the best and worst games I have ever played in one package. Firstly i found the game to be amazing when i first played it. The atmosphere is intense. This is not an action shooter, if you want a shooter play call of duty. This is a slow paced atmospheric game that breaks new ground. Graphically it works to set the scene. I have seen better, but i have also seen far worse. PeopleOne of the best and worst games I have ever played in one package. Firstly i found the game to be amazing when i first played it. The atmosphere is intense. This is not an action shooter, if you want a shooter play call of duty. This is a slow paced atmospheric game that breaks new ground. Graphically it works to set the scene. I have seen better, but i have also seen far worse. People that dislike the graphics most likely dislike the game due to the setting. I didnt find it repetetive and i loved walking around waiting for the zombies to appear from nowhere. I think in total it made me jump 3 or 4 times, which is more than any other game has for years. With the score I would have given this a 9 easily, like i said for me this is a new type of game that i loved. The gamepad sound effects, coupled with surround sound really set the scene.

There is one major problem....BUGS.....I spent 14 hours playing this slowly with every intention of revisting it to play survival mode. I never replay games.....this game made me want to replay it before i had even completed it....But near the end i died working on the panacea level. When i restarted i completed the objective, but nothing happened. It still says i need to complete the objective. I googled the walkthrough and videos to be sure. I did everything right. The game wont unlock a door to allow me to leave and nothing happens. This means after 14 hours i cant continue or do anything. So for the first time i emailed a game maker, because i Ioved playing this game. Their response google walkthroughs.....even more annoying.... its a bug. I have completed the objective but the things that are supposed to happen dont. So not only are there bugs stopping me completing it but ubisoft wont acknowledge them. I could start again, but what then 14 hours to find a new bug. With all bugs fixed 9/10 easily. As is... you make up your own mind. I gave it 5. Play if but if you die ( you will die) be aware a bug might surface stopping you from completing a key action. Other users have said the same. ( I didnt belive it until it happened to me). So frustrating, a great game that should have been tested. Technically the item is faulty and everyone could legally get their money back, so ubisoft fix it.
  19. Dec 13, 2012
    It's a suspenseful first person zombie survival horror, plain and simple, and it's incredibly fun. It clearly took a few notes from Dark Souls (which isn't a bad thing) such as, if you try to Rambo your way through a room, you will likely be killed. Also if you die, you get one chance to try to make it back to where you died to find your previous self as a zombie. If you can make it thereIt's a suspenseful first person zombie survival horror, plain and simple, and it's incredibly fun. It clearly took a few notes from Dark Souls (which isn't a bad thing) such as, if you try to Rambo your way through a room, you will likely be killed. Also if you die, you get one chance to try to make it back to where you died to find your previous self as a zombie. If you can make it there and kill your previous zombified character, you get all your belongings back. And lastly, you can leave messages for other players on walls either warning them or perils, or tricking them into falling into a trap. Not to mention, this game has a great balance of difficulty. Yes it's hard. Is it cheap? Nope. Just don't expect it to be a giant hack and slash/shooting fest. This is not Resident Evil 6. Good game, I hope they make a sequel Expand
  20. Jan 15, 2013
    ZombiU is a fantastic survival horror game. This is the first thing that should be taken note of when looking at the game. If you're going into the game expecting the casual shoot-fest you'd get in a game like Left 4 Dead or any other modern FPS, you're going to be severely shocked. The game is a complete revival of the survival horror genre of games, which has been sitting in disrepairZombiU is a fantastic survival horror game. This is the first thing that should be taken note of when looking at the game. If you're going into the game expecting the casual shoot-fest you'd get in a game like Left 4 Dead or any other modern FPS, you're going to be severely shocked. The game is a complete revival of the survival horror genre of games, which has been sitting in disrepair ever since Resident Evil dropped it for a more action-oriented game focus. The game makes superb use of the Wii U's innovative gamepad, from the single player all the way to the multiplayer, which I feel is possibly one of the coolest concepts for a multiplayer game in a long, long time. If you love REAL horror games and you want to play a challenging zombie survival game, you will get just that with Zombi U. Expand
  21. Dec 14, 2012
    it's a good game for wii u.. If you are waiting for a new resident evil you are wrong:zombi u is a new horror game with a lot of suspense.. Good in bundle with wii u
  22. Dec 31, 2012
    Ignore what some of the idiotic "professional" reviews have said about this game, it's fantastic. It's not flawless, no game is, but it's a wonderful, true survival horror game. It's slow, methodical and extremely well done. Survival horror at its finest.
  23. Dec 20, 2012
    Is ZombiU one of the most polished games I've ever played? No. Does it have amazing combat or stunning graphics? No. But it is one of the most innovative, challenging and frightening games I have ever played! Yes!

It utilizes the WiiU game pad in a way that not only adds to the game, but makes it an integral part of the game. Every time I look in my backpack my adrenaline starts pumping and I know I am completely vulnerable to whatever zombie might be lurking in a dark corner or waiting around the next bend. Whenever I push the tracker button and see those little red dots pop up on the map, my heart skips a beat and I know I am just moments away from a grueling zombie attack. ZombiU is by far one of the most difficult games I have ever played. You will die a lot, but it is the intense challenge the game poses that makes me want to keep playing more and see if I can climb up the leader board. I still don't know how some of you racked up 15,000+ points. If only I could successfully kill my last survivor and recover all of my supplies before getting mauled by the zombie horde that killed me the time before. The scarcity of ammunition, and explosive weapons also makes you think twice about killing a loaner zombie when you can whip out your trusty cricket bat. ZombiU is also probably the scariest video game I have ever played, with the original Resident Evil coming in a close second. I highly recommend playing it at night with the lights out. It is constantly suspenseful and always keeps you on your toes. Although ZombiU's graphics aren't super polished or sharp, I really do feel their grittiness contributes to the rawness of the game and never takes away from it's chilling atmosphere. The lighting in ZombiU is great! The use of the flash light is a very effective medium and adds to the chilling atmosphere of the game. There is nothing like walking down a dark narrow hallway with nothing but your flashlight to guide your way, and do not let it run out of batteries. You don't want to be caught in the dark with your guard down. In closing, if you are looking for a fresh take on the Zombie survival horror (not FPS) genre then you need to pick up ZombiU! Your Wii U collection will not be complete without it.
  24. Dec 24, 2012
    Nowadays it's hard to find a true survival horror game. What I like about ZombiU is that the emphasis really is on surviving, not mindless shooting. I found it visually appealing, atmospheric and just fun. My criticisms would be with loading times that often mar the atmosphere, the campaign being a little too short and some harsh combat difficulty (this is surprisingly hardcore for aNowadays it's hard to find a true survival horror game. What I like about ZombiU is that the emphasis really is on surviving, not mindless shooting. I found it visually appealing, atmospheric and just fun. My criticisms would be with loading times that often mar the atmosphere, the campaign being a little too short and some harsh combat difficulty (this is surprisingly hardcore for a ubisoft game). A great game if you like to slow down and explore, if you prefer shooting everything you'd maybe be better off with Left 4 Dead or something. Expand
  25. Jan 12, 2013
    ZombiU is a bit of a average score. Usually ZombiU is a survival but then soon as you get bitten you turn into a zombie. And since when you were human there where no zombies whats the point of being a zombie. Sure, there are good graphics and story but the point is a short time survival and boring zombie play.
  26. Jan 24, 2013
    Okay, the amount of 10s here is kinda baffling. The game starts out good, but quickly goes downhill. The combat system is clunky and dull, which I thought was fine at first, because I wasn't playing a highly skilled character (except for the policemen, majors, generals, etc, who were just as useless with a gun as the musicians and clerks), but the kind (and amount) of enemies they throw atOkay, the amount of 10s here is kinda baffling. The game starts out good, but quickly goes downhill. The combat system is clunky and dull, which I thought was fine at first, because I wasn't playing a highly skilled character (except for the policemen, majors, generals, etc, who were just as useless with a gun as the musicians and clerks), but the kind (and amount) of enemies they throw at you after a while makes killing them a chore. You have zombies in riot gear, which is understandable, at least some people would have been wearing riot gear when the infection spread, but there are tons of them. And they take like 20 slow slow slow hits to kill (also, they're bullet proof). Then you have zombies that spit acid.. and zombies that self detonate. Which makes absolutely zero sense if they're normal zombies. Maybe someone is controlling them? I won't find out, since I quit playing after 10 hours, which, normally, I NEVER do... but there are so many missed opportunities and bad decisions in this game. You'd think having a map/pad thingie with motion sensors would offer the player some sort of strategic advantage, and would allow for creative solutions to maps, but it only serves to warn you about the zombie's presence (except for when zombies are just waiting for you to approach them before they start moving, which .. doesn't make sense T_T).. you'll have to take the same route regardless. Throughout the game they use cheap tricks to scare you, like loud aggressive music, sounds that get triggered (every time) you walk past certain areas, flashlight going out in some areas. Which wouldn't have been necessary if they got the basics right. Sorry about the messy review, it's not often I'm so mad at a game that I quit playing it halfway through, so I won't waste too much time on this review. OH, and one time when I jumped off a six feet pier into two feet deep water, I died from the fall damage. I was at full health. GG Ubisoft, GG. Expand
  27. Dec 27, 2012
    ZombiU is an excellent game and deserves its place among survival horrors best. Although lacking some polishing and currently requires a patch for a few bugs, it is an enjoyable experience. The gamepad use adds to the immersion and challenge of the game. Graphics are good and you can't really judge them as most environments are poorly lit but the lighting is still superb. The gameplay isZombiU is an excellent game and deserves its place among survival horrors best. Although lacking some polishing and currently requires a patch for a few bugs, it is an enjoyable experience. The gamepad use adds to the immersion and challenge of the game. Graphics are good and you can't really judge them as most environments are poorly lit but the lighting is still superb. The gameplay is fun although some may find the common use of the cricket bat tedious but I found it realistic. There is a genuine sense of fear when a more than two zombies assault you at once. Expand
  28. Dec 30, 2012
    ZombiU is the hard-core experience that the Wii U's launch has to offer. Nintendo claiming they want to provide for the hard-core--ZombiU is a difficult game which tests the abilities of the player. The difficulty heavily focuses on reaction-speed and the ability to multitask and plan ahead. A common complaint is that the melee combat with the cricket bat is forced--it honestly isn't ifZombiU is the hard-core experience that the Wii U's launch has to offer. Nintendo claiming they want to provide for the hard-core--ZombiU is a difficult game which tests the abilities of the player. The difficulty heavily focuses on reaction-speed and the ability to multitask and plan ahead. A common complaint is that the melee combat with the cricket bat is forced--it honestly isn't if you are skilled and know how to use your weaponry well without being all gun-happy, remember this is not a run-and-gun first-person-shooter...this is a survival-horror.

Logic doesn't apply well to this game, though if you're playing ZombiU for its plot and story, then you shouldn't be playing it at all. It's very simple, and the whole point of the game is to be bossed around whilst exploring and surviving--Ubisoft provided well.

Only problem that I can find with the game that it is a bit buggy...though unless you're extremely unlucky, this won't cause any major game-breaking problems. ZombiU is a very tense and fun video game which can be enjoyed by anybody if they know what they're actually playing. A great multiplayer mode which allows for hours of gameplay outside of the main game...which only allows for two save slots, one being a special mode and not the actual main-game.

How long will YOU survive?
  29. Jan 1, 2013
    I love this game and this game has game breaking glitches that can completely destroy your progress and force you to restart from scratch several times over. So to be very clear: I love the slow horror-filled progress of the game, the clunky process of killing zombies with a cricket bat, the search for ammunition, all of that. The death of your character and the process of going to killI love this game and this game has game breaking glitches that can completely destroy your progress and force you to restart from scratch several times over. So to be very clear: I love the slow horror-filled progress of the game, the clunky process of killing zombies with a cricket bat, the search for ammunition, all of that. The death of your character and the process of going to kill your old zombified self to get a backpack full of stuff is great.

The problem is when you go back to kill yourself but can't retrieve from your old self things that are absolutely required in order for the game to continue. Essentially you can take 50 hours worth of game progress and throw it right out the window. This is because ZombiU does not retain any intermediate saves that you could go back to if something goes wrong, and because players have discovered and reported that many game-breaking glitches just crop up that destroy the game. Each time that happens you have to go back to the very very beginning. When you hit a problem like this, contact Ubisoft for support and this is what I got back:
    "Unfortunately, you are most likely going to need to create a new save profile. We are not able to recover lost or damaged saved files from either the cloud or other methods. We have reported this issue to the devs. Contact us again if you have additional questions." [there was no "lost of damaged" save file. My character died and there was no way to obtain a particular item that he was carrying that was necessary for plot progress"]

Take a look at the ZombiU forums (http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/383-ZombiU)
    "Game breaking bug - ladder disappears!!"
    "Another ZombiU Game Breaking Glitch"

And this nice statement, in a 2-page series of posts by frustrated gamers:

"Ubisoft, as far I can see, you received your first notifications of game breaking bugs over a month ago on this forum.
    Since then, this forum has been flooded with further reports which have mostly fallen upon deaf ears.
    While admittedly the Forum Manager Ubi-Mush has been acknowledging these reports on occasion and reportedly forwarding the issues described, there has been absolutely no indication that the developers have been acknowledged any of these issues."

In essence, excellent gameplay is ruined by the complete and total loss of your campaign if you fall prey to any number of serious programming bugs. Ubisoft has not acknowledged the problems, has not issued a patch, and has not offered even a hint as to whether they will patch the game at all. For some who play this, it turns out great and they don't get nailed by the many programming bugs. I have had to repeat 40 hours of campaign twice and after the third game-ending crash, I have to give up.
  30. Jan 7, 2013
    I have 7 games for the Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Scribblenauts Unlimited, GameParty Champions (Don't ask, it was a gift), Assassins Creed III, and the one I keep coming back to (besides Assassins Creed II) ZombiU. There are many mixed feelings about this great title. Personally, I find this one of the best launch games there areI have 7 games for the Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Scribblenauts Unlimited, GameParty Champions (Don't ask, it was a gift), Assassins Creed III, and the one I keep coming back to (besides Assassins Creed II) ZombiU. There are many mixed feelings about this great title. Personally, I find this one of the best launch games there are for the Wii U. Several hate it because of its "horrible and ugly" graphics, and game changing bugs. Most of the 1990's games are the best and on the Top 100, but did they have fantastic graphics? No. Graphics are a big part of a game, but not the biggest factor to choosing a game to play. I actually think the graphics were fantastic for a game so early on in the Wii U's lifetime. The setting was so creepy, horrifying, and ugly that it made the game. An apocalypse is supposed to be ugly. I doubt when there are zombies you will go outside and say, "It's so pretty outside, what beautiful weather." Another thing people are complaining about is the use of the cricket bat. Well it isn't that bad. The use of gamepad, difficulty, and "heart-attack" moments complete this game. So pick up this game with your Wii U and you will be pleased for a while. I suggest that you are not 5 playing this game, or you will literally **** your pants. Survival-Horror. Expand
  31. Jan 9, 2013
    One of the best games of the year. Its a zombie game that's actually scary to play. It makes even one or two zombies frightening, let alone a hoard. The sound/music is amazing and perfectly timed. The use of the Wii U pad feels natural. Its also very challenging which gives you an authentic zombie experience. People say the melee system gets repetitive but they probably didn't even findOne of the best games of the year. Its a zombie game that's actually scary to play. It makes even one or two zombies frightening, let alone a hoard. The sound/music is amazing and perfectly timed. The use of the Wii U pad feels natural. Its also very challenging which gives you an authentic zombie experience. People say the melee system gets repetitive but they probably didn't even find all the hidden weapons or loot for ammo because there are great weapons like the cross-bow where you can pick up your used arrows. Plenty of great weapons and ways to kill while still giving you a scary feeling. You also have the option to play this game with 1 life, meaning 1 life and your whole game is over. Up for a challenge?

The worst part of the game is the story. I didn't feel it was too bad myself, but when you have many children who don't want to dig deeper at the story, its understandable. It doesn't tell you everything up front, and even then, what kind of story other than survival do you expect? There's also letters around the game that you could read and try figuring stuff out but I never read them. There's a story but I wont go deeper. Buy this game if you're into zombies and survival. Don't buy it if you rather play Borderlands.
  32. Jan 10, 2013
    I really loved the ZombiU experience.
    The gameplay was awesome, I really felt like i have to survive, and have been scared many times.
    The game was hard and addictive, each death is gonna make you scream.
    The graphisms were quite good and acceptable.

ZombiU is a survival horror, not a FPS, If you prefer shoot zombies instead of hit them with a cricket bat, choose Call Of Duty Black Ops II.
  33. Jan 12, 2013
    A very good and hard Survival Horror game with multiple endings, pretty intense and probably will scare the sh*t out of you, great controls and great use of the GamePad, definitely a must-have for the Wii U.
  34. Jan 17, 2013
    I don't know what people are complaining about. This game is awesome! The graphics are okey, maybe not the best but still better than most console games. The sound is amazing. It sets the mood sky high, especially when you're outside in the stormy weather. It's a pretty hard game, maybe that's why some don't like it. If you die your character dies for good and you have to start from theI don't know what people are complaining about. This game is awesome! The graphics are okey, maybe not the best but still better than most console games. The sound is amazing. It sets the mood sky high, especially when you're outside in the stormy weather. It's a pretty hard game, maybe that's why some don't like it. If you die your character dies for good and you have to start from the beginning. You can however track down your former character, kill it and take all the items that you lost. If you got a Wii U and like horror action, this is a game for U Expand
  35. Feb 1, 2013
    I don't know how this got anything below a 7. I understand that its not perfect but overall it is a very good horror/first person shooter. ZombiU is very fun and has kept me on th edge of my seat the entire time I have played it and it keeps me interested even when Im not playing it. I cant wait to get off work so I can go home and play!
  36. Apr 27, 2013
    This game, for me, is one of the few actual survival-horror titles to come out in the last few years. Not only did it instill a true sense of dread and tension but it made me cautious of my every move and think about every situation. One of my favourite games of 2012 and a game I still enjoy playing now. A real slice of terror instead of the copy and paste spam fests of other 'tripple A' games.
  37. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a pretty good game. I enjoyed the fair amount of challenge it gives, although there are some things that could have been done better. Yes, the combat is dull to some people, but this isn't a gun and run game. Its NOT L4D. You are NOT immune and one bite will mean the end for your character. If you want a gun and run game, then you're better off with L4D. If you don't like beingThis is a pretty good game. I enjoyed the fair amount of challenge it gives, although there are some things that could have been done better. Yes, the combat is dull to some people, but this isn't a gun and run game. Its NOT L4D. You are NOT immune and one bite will mean the end for your character. If you want a gun and run game, then you're better off with L4D. If you don't like being cautious and having a limited about of weaponry and such, you're better off dodging this game. Expand
  38. Feb 28, 2013
    being a survival horror game veteran, craving games of days gone past where I'm not playing boring Quick Time Event filled with generic set pieces and countless over the top action sequences (yes Capcom, I'm referring to you) I was extremely happy to find Zombie U ticked all the right boxes for me. Currently 26 hours in and enjoying it immensely atmosphere, challenging immersivebeing a survival horror game veteran, craving games of days gone past where I'm not playing boring Quick Time Event filled with generic set pieces and countless over the top action sequences (yes Capcom, I'm referring to you) I was extremely happy to find Zombie U ticked all the right boxes for me. Currently 26 hours in and enjoying it immensely atmosphere, challenging immersive gameplay, edge of the seat and pulse setting scares have had me playing way into the night. Ok so a few technical issues were found towards the latter part of the game (some basic collision detection proved amusing for 30 seconds whilst some zombie legs jiggled violently through a door) none of which though detracted from this amazing horror experience. I've seen them all and played them all and this is by far the closest thing you can get to zombie apocalypse experience truly terrifying and 100% satisfying. An essential Wii U purchase for fans of the genre. Don't be put off from low reviewers complaining about the cricket bat and lack of weapons. This is a mans game! Not Call of Duty where you march in with nukes strapped to your thighs and dance around like a camp butterfly recreating daft scenarios from Die Hard 4.0 this is survival at its finest Expand
  39. Mar 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why ZombiU has recieved bad reviews- the world may never know. It isn't a game for everyone. And do not mistake it as your typical mindless-shooting, buns ablazing Call of Duty:Zombies-like first person horror shooter. ZombiU sets out to do 2 things- to scare the crap out of you, and to utilize the Wii U GamePad well. It succeeds at both. Since this is a Wii U game, I'll go over the Wii U Gamepad features first. Your primary tool in-game is a backpack (the BOB). It contains your inventory-you drag items you want to use to the top-when looking in the BOB's items menu, as well as a scanner (used to scan secret messages, tell you what items a zombie has, or are in a box or something), and as a map. The Wii U GamePad's touchscreen is used to turn on/off your flashlight (which can recharge automatically), as well as tapping it when breaking barriers or opening heavy objects (similar to button mashing scenes in videogames), and picking locks. In the assymetric local multiplayer mode, it is used, in a topdown view, to select where to place zombies on a map to attack the survivor(who has a Wii U Pro controller or Wiimote and Nunchuck, in a FPS view). When you are using most of these features (with the exceptions of multiplayer, turning your flashlight on/off, and the map), your TV is put in a third person view of everything in the room you are in, and at any moment, you could be attacked (which adds to the realism of this game-since in a real zombie attack, zombies are not going to stop persuing you just because you are looking in a box for food or ammo).

The story- there isn't much of one. A new plague, part of 400 year old, long deceased scientist John Dee's black prophecy, that is of the 'Blight' spreading across London, has come true. The Blight is the zombie infection that has spread throughout London. You are one of the survivors of the Blight, who has been saved by the Prepper, a war veteran who is your helper throughout the game. The Prepper believes that there is 'no saving the world- no evacuation. No cure', and that one must just... survive. Throughout the game, you will also meet a scientist trying to make a cure to the blight, as well as the Ravens of Dee, a secret organization trying to help survivors and stop the Blight. Throughout the game, you may read (or rather hear what your character is reading) or hear recordings of letters of people who were trapped and about to be attacked (for example, a recording in the nursery), which are creepy, and sort of evil,in the sense that they show you the damage the Blight has caused the people of London, and make you angry at the zombies, but even more afraid of them.

Now for the rest of the uniqueness of the game, and other info: The gritty, dirty streets of London gives it a post-apocalyptic atmosphere, and the music adds to the thrill. The gaming industry has been growing stale of truly scary survival horrors, and ZombiU is not only scary, but unique in the sense that when your character becomes Zombified, you play as a new survivor with 6 shots,a cricket bat and a flashlight, and have to find your last character, now zombified, kill it(as well as the zombie who zombified THAT one,and probably a couple more), and get your equipment back. Another thing that makes it unique is the fact that u have limited ammo, and have to scavenge supplies. This makes you rely primarily on your cricket bat. I have to agree with reviewers that this can get rather boring, with only one animation. If there were more animations, this would probably not get as stale.

Apart from the regular story mode, there is Survival mode (the same story, but with only one life), and an assymetric PvP multiplayer mode, that, while i had personally been skeptical about at first, is actually rather fun. The person with the GamePad is the 'King of Zombies', who places Zombies around a map (this requires strategy- especially with the limitations of where you can put them, and the number of them you can have at a time), VS a survivor with a class of guns and equipment, as well as more guns and ammo scattered throughout the map, to pick up at any time. There are three multiplayer modes- Kill Box (the survivor killing as many Zombies as possible), Assault (essentially Domination with four flags- the first player to control all four flags wins), and Survival. These multiplayer modes are incredibly fun, and they show off another of the Wii U's features, assymetric gameplay. Overall, I find ZombiU to be a very good game. It is scary and uses the Wii U GamePad rather well. While it is not the most beautiful videogame, it's lighting effects are great, and the dirty,gritty setting and creepy,suspenseful music add to the thrills that make this an incredible comeback to the horror genre. The game really places you in a Zombie appocolypse, and has amazing ideas, that are implemented very well. So I'd say this game deserves an 8.5 at the very least.
  40. Mar 2, 2013
    Sadly I am one of the wii u owners who rode the hype and bought this game day one. The game is pretty average but it has its terrifying moments. You would either love or hate this game but still this game is far better than what RE or SH series has become today.
  41. Mar 13, 2013
    This game Is a great Survival Horror game. It is very slow with great atmosphere. It is really good how one zombie can be a threat and get you. The gamepad features are really cool with 2 ways to control it, using the gyroscopic sensor or if you don't feel like moving it around you can use the right analog stick. The gamepad is used as a scanner and as your inventory which is really cool.This game Is a great Survival Horror game. It is very slow with great atmosphere. It is really good how one zombie can be a threat and get you. The gamepad features are really cool with 2 ways to control it, using the gyroscopic sensor or if you don't feel like moving it around you can use the right analog stick. The gamepad is used as a scanner and as your inventory which is really cool. There isnt a huge amount of content and the graphics are not that great. But the lighting system and the cool ways the gamepad is used make up for that. Is this a game for everyone no It is a game if you are a fan of TRUE SURVIVAL HORROR. A great way to tell if you will like this game is if you like the first 3 resident evil games. This game is slow paced survival horror and that is what I like about this game. Expand
  42. Mar 14, 2013
    It's a fairly solid title, but it could have been so much better. The things it captures well is the feeling of true survival horror with limited ammo and tense gameplay, It also uses the Wii U GamePad very well as a "Survival Kit" featuring Map, Scanner and some other functionality.

Where it really falls short is some design issues, Your main weapon is a Cricket bat, but using it is slow and repetitive with normal zombies taking forever to die, the graphics are also fairly weak for a game designed exclusively for a new console where it should be showing off what the Wii U can do.

It's a solid title, one that survival horror fans will definitely love and I would still recommend it to people looking for a fun zombie game. There is great potential here for a sequel with improvements.
  43. Mar 17, 2013
    ZombiU is one of the greater zombie games developed. It has a more haunting and creepy atmosphere than most zombie games. I feel that Nintendo achieved this with the lack of zombies you encounter. Sure, there isn't one around every corner, but that sense of surprise when you do come across one of the undead only adds to the intensity of the game.
  44. Mar 29, 2013
    So far, the best Wii U game to date. It has completely changed the survivor/zombie game dynamic since Left 4 Dead. L4D was all about pure survival against the herd. ZombiU is the Splinter Cell of zombie games. You need to sneak around, listen to the radio voice and avoid surprises. ZombiU utilizes the game pad extraordinarily, even incorporated it into the game itself with having theSo far, the best Wii U game to date. It has completely changed the survivor/zombie game dynamic since Left 4 Dead. L4D was all about pure survival against the herd. ZombiU is the Splinter Cell of zombie games. You need to sneak around, listen to the radio voice and avoid surprises. ZombiU utilizes the game pad extraordinarily, even incorporated it into the game itself with having the character holding one. My one and only complaint is that there are portions that seem repetitive, but Ubi managed to fix it in some areas by having different looking zombies.

Are you wondering about playing it? Oh definitely. Buy it? Oh I highly recommend it.
  45. Jun 25, 2013
    These days it's hard to find a survival horror games. Sure there's still resident evil and stuff like that but they aren't really "scary" then came e3 2012 where ubisoft showed off their ambitious exclusive for wiiu. So how was the game? Amazing. It is survival horror at its finest. I'm willing to put this up with games like re4. Actually scratch that this is BETTER than re4. No AshleyThese days it's hard to find a survival horror games. Sure there's still resident evil and stuff like that but they aren't really "scary" then came e3 2012 where ubisoft showed off their ambitious exclusive for wiiu. So how was the game? Amazing. It is survival horror at its finest. I'm willing to put this up with games like re4. Actually scratch that this is BETTER than re4. No Ashley Graham's whining no qte's just killing zombies. While this isn't the graphical showcase for the u since you can't see anything in the dark the presentation is this games strongpoint. Ubisoft paid tons of attention to detail and it shows. Zombies growl unsettlingly making you tap your radar which also picks up rats and crows so you may see a ton of rats on your radar and become pale. Your character makes whimper noises while using the backpack where there are zombies it's great. The gameplay is ok but nothing to special. It makes good use of the gameplay but the cb combat is clunky and unsatisfying although I don't imagine it being to satisfying during the apocalypse so ill let this one slide. Zombiu is a great action packed adventure that every wiiu owner should experience. Don't let this one pass you by. It rocks. Expand
  46. Aug 14, 2013
    Que jogão! Obrigatório pra quem fã de games de terror (não tão assustador assim, mas te deixa muito apreensivo e te da VÁRIOS sustos). Foi o primeiro jogo que joguei no Wii U então ele que me apresentou e me apaixonou pelo Wii U. Não compre o jogo achando que vai jogar um "Left 4 Dead", pq não Você vai ter que economizar munição sempre que possível, você vai morrer muito, muitas vezesQue jogão! Obrigatório pra quem fã de games de terror (não tão assustador assim, mas te deixa muito apreensivo e te da VÁRIOS sustos). Foi o primeiro jogo que joguei no Wii U então ele que me apresentou e me apaixonou pelo Wii U. Não compre o jogo achando que vai jogar um "Left 4 Dead", pq não Você vai ter que economizar munição sempre que possível, você vai morrer muito, muitas vezes você tem que evitar os Zumbis e SEMPRE vai ter que pensar no que vai fazer. Expand
  47. Apr 12, 2013
    I was looking forward into fun with zombiU, and when I got it, I had a little fun.
    First of all, the game is a survival horror about the zombie Apocalypse in London,
    the game is challenging because you have a limited amount of ammo, and if you're character dies: they're dead and you have to play as another survivor, but you can encounter your dead survivor and get his or her backpack
    the game is challenging because you have a limited amount of ammo, and
    but you can encounter your dead survivor and get his or her backpack back.
    All though, melee is one way to quickly (or not) go through the game, though melee gets
    repetitive after a while. The Multiplier is something less people mention about the game
    though the 2 player VS mode is a little much like left 4 dead's VS mode, only with a Wii U gamepad
    and Wii remote, if you don't have a pro controller, the survivor with a wii remote play's like an arcade game, only without the light gun and I found that for best results of using a Wii remote on multiplayer,
    use a Wii Zapper, and if you don't know what that is already SEARCH IT UP. Anyway's multiplayer has only 2 modes one, which is just KILL that Zombie Then Kill the next as of it gets repetitive and frustrating after a while, the second one, in which one survivor must capture all of the points before the zombies do, think of it as team fortress 2's Capture the Point mode, only not as repetitive but STILL frustrating, even though it has good ideas. So, over all
    SINGLE PLAYER: great
    MULTIPLAYER: frustrating and repeatitive!
  48. Apr 27, 2013
    A fun and enjoyable game experience not like most console zombie games. Fun gameplay and interesting use of the Wii U gamepad make it a must have for any Wii U owner.
  49. Oct 31, 2013
    If you plan on buying this game, know this: this is not a FPS, this is a first person survival horror game that has shooting in its gameplay.
    that being said, the game is just awesome. zombies are tough and you need some time to kill one. you are not supposed to run n' gun zombies like most fps games, and instead you have to be methodical, scanning your enviroments, finding supplies and advancing slowly.
    One mistake might cost you a survivor's life, and then you become a new survivor. You can even hunt down the old survivor (now a zombie) and kill him to get his items back. neat.
    one advice: don't listen to reviewers who say the game is too hard or boring. they are the ones playing this with the wrong expectations.
    and know this: if you get past the first confusing hour of the game, it becomes a unique experience, unlike any other in this generation.
  50. Jun 5, 2013
    A bit clunky and ugly at times. This IS a survival horror and it can get pretty creepy at times. Whenever the character swings a melle weapon, i get really pissed off because its so damn annoying. The atmosphere can be ruined by a lot of jump scares which sullys the experience. Still, I mostly enjoyed it and it is not a perfect game. I hope they make another one in the future, so we mayA bit clunky and ugly at times. This IS a survival horror and it can get pretty creepy at times. Whenever the character swings a melle weapon, i get really pissed off because its so damn annoying. The atmosphere can be ruined by a lot of jump scares which sullys the experience. Still, I mostly enjoyed it and it is not a perfect game. I hope they make another one in the future, so we may get those improvements. I think most people give this game a ten because of it's unique ideas and doesn't consider the gameplay and everything else. Pick it up when that price drops! Expand
  51. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a good idea and concept, with decent execution.

The gamepad is ACTUALLY UTILIZED IN THIS GAME. I know, brace yourselves. The gamepad acts as your communication device with some guy watching everything from a safe control room. It is also how you interact with your inventory and how you use your 'radar' to check for zombies (that's handy as heck in a zombie apocalypse,
    This is a good idea and concept, with decent execution.

The gamepad is ACTUALLY UTILIZED IN THIS GAME. I know, brace yourselves.

The gamepad acts as your communication device with some guy watching everything from a safe control room. It is also how you interact with your inventory and how you use your 'radar' to check for zombies (that's handy as heck in a zombie apocalypse, convenient).

While I love gamepad innovation, this one is tricky. Forcing me to take my eyes off of the tv and look at my gamepad... while zombies are chasing me... is scary. Maybe that's what they want But I find myself scared to mess with my inventory, because it means someone could sneak up on me. Maybe that's realism.

Other zombie elements are typical. Scarce ammunition, zombies are hard to kill.
  52. Jun 20, 2013
    ZombiU is a good game, but its somewhat clunky gunplay is its major downfall. ZombiU is immersive and actually causes paranoia in the player as one bite will kill you. Worse yet, if you want your precious items back you will have to kill your zombified self. Very few games punish you in this way. The game, however, suffers from a horrible story and a terrible ending. I love how almostZombiU is a good game, but its somewhat clunky gunplay is its major downfall. ZombiU is immersive and actually causes paranoia in the player as one bite will kill you. Worse yet, if you want your precious items back you will have to kill your zombified self. Very few games punish you in this way. The game, however, suffers from a horrible story and a terrible ending. I love how almost everything, if not everything, is in real time. ZombiU uses the gamepad to its advantage. It is your inventory and forces you to look at the in order to scan for danger TV.... ALL IN REAL TIME. ZombiU is a prime example of a game that is great and immersive without having a good story. Expand
  53. Oct 19, 2013
    This game is a true zombie survival game and that's why i love it. It truly fells like your in a zombie apocalypse with the limited ammo in your gun to the dark and creepy atmosphere, and i like how each time you die you play as a completely different character.
  54. Jul 18, 2013
    Now, this is what I'd call a Survival-Horror game! It has a high difficulty level and a great, tense atmosphere.

Loved it al the way though, the 13 hours it lasted, feeling the thrills every second. Cons are graphics look a little outdated and the story is somewhat shallow, but the Gamepad adds a lot to the game play (radar and Backpack checking. You don't know how tense the game can

Cons are graphics look a little outdated and the story is somewhat shallow, but the Gamepad adds a lot to the game play (radar and Backpack checking. You don't know how tense the game can get with just those two features)

It has nice reply value, too. Try playing in cooperating with others via Miiverse and the game renders an awesome online-multiplayer-like experience!!

And that's enough for me to give it a 9.
  55. Jul 15, 2013
    I couldn’t help feeling sad after finishing this game. This is one of those games you don’t want to finish in a good way). I choose to play this game at night with no one around to bother me, It was an amazing experience. The way the gamepad works is such an awesome addition, you don’t feel save going through your inventory, i kept watching every 2 seconds at the TV if i was not beingI couldn’t help feeling sad after finishing this game. This is one of those games you don’t want to finish in a good way). I choose to play this game at night with no one around to bother me, It was an amazing experience. The way the gamepad works is such an awesome addition, you don’t feel save going through your inventory, i kept watching every 2 seconds at the TV if i was not being attack from behind.
    Even though you find some powerful weapons you never feel save wandering around London, you have to make strategy’s to make it out alive in the best way possible since you don’t want to spoil all your ammo at once. There have been times my hart of was pounding so fast and so hard i had to just stop playing this game. But there is a catch.. you can’t just save on the spot. You will have to find your save zone and save over there. ZombiU is a true survival and those who gave this a low rating are either not very good at it or don’t want to take their time to play through this game.
  56. Jul 18, 2013
    Zombiu is a under-rated game is the Wii U launch title. Zombiu try to takes survival horror genre back to their roots. The gameplay is well done. The story is somewhat bad in it's way. It make use of the Wii U gamepad like the scanner, using the crossbow, and inventory management. The multiplayer is boring and it's not online. Zombiu is worth our time and money just buy pre owned or anyZombiu is a under-rated game is the Wii U launch title. Zombiu try to takes survival horror genre back to their roots. The gameplay is well done. The story is somewhat bad in it's way. It make use of the Wii U gamepad like the scanner, using the crossbow, and inventory management. The multiplayer is boring and it's not online. Zombiu is worth our time and money just buy pre owned or any under fifty dollars. Expand
  57. Jul 22, 2013
    Terrifying and difficult, yet fun still. This gets an okay score because my character (In the middle of climbing a ladder) randomly teleported to the bottom of the ladder, died, and started twerking on the ground. In addition to this, there are many many more bugs. However, what did it for me was the king of zombies mode. Without the (not included) wii u pro controller, as a survivor, ITerrifying and difficult, yet fun still. This gets an okay score because my character (In the middle of climbing a ladder) randomly teleported to the bottom of the ladder, died, and started twerking on the ground. In addition to this, there are many many more bugs. However, what did it for me was the king of zombies mode. Without the (not included) wii u pro controller, as a survivor, I was having trouble MOVING to a destination, let alone fighting zombies to get there. Play it for single player, and watch out for bugs. Expand
  58. Jul 29, 2013
    After reading reviews that were either great or quite bad, I was still intrigued by this game. after passing it this is a great ride and is definitely worth a visit. the atmosphere and tension in this game is terrific I could feel my heart pumping sometimes as you never know what to expect around the corner. This is survival horror and you will die many times but this is part of the fun.After reading reviews that were either great or quite bad, I was still intrigued by this game. after passing it this is a great ride and is definitely worth a visit. the atmosphere and tension in this game is terrific I could feel my heart pumping sometimes as you never know what to expect around the corner. This is survival horror and you will die many times but this is part of the fun. There are some issues I had loading times were sometimes all over the place when just opening a door and it would be great if you could mark things on your map so you know where you need to trace back to if necessary.

You aren't given an unlimited supply of ammo or health recovery but this is part of the fun you really need to plan and strategise how you will survive for the next mission and I really liked this. The Wii U game pad is also used well serving as a map, inventory holder and also a cool feature where you can use it to scan your surroundings in the game for hidden secrets or messages. I was quite impressed and had a great time with it.

This game may not be for everyone but if you want a suspenseful, scary yet fun game this is for you. Patience is key to this game if you don't have it, then you won't survive very long.
  59. Aug 9, 2013
    good idea, poorly executed. 10's people...really?! this game belongs in the 90's. I guess they thought that people would get caught up in the current zombie-craze, and not realize that this game sucks. Its graphics are terrible(think PS2 in HD), its extremely clear that they used an old engine with no attempt to supply anything that looked good. the zombies are repetitive and all look thegood idea, poorly executed. 10's people...really?! this game belongs in the 90's. I guess they thought that people would get caught up in the current zombie-craze, and not realize that this game sucks. Its graphics are terrible(think PS2 in HD), its extremely clear that they used an old engine with no attempt to supply anything that looked good. the zombies are repetitive and all look the same, aside from different genders and a couple of outfits. If you knock a zombies head off, it literally looks like a broken pencil. i saw better textures on N64. The environment is the only thing that i can't complain much about, except i really dislike when developers try to make the game scary by making it hard to see(i.e. always dark), rather than making the actual gameplay scary or intense. Overall this was a flop, and a terrible choice to bundle with the console. Expand
  60. Jan 29, 2014
    one of the least games that should get a chance

zombie u is one the eh games but a good game that has flaws but not bad game
    the thing that this game lacks is co op and online, the modes that it has is fun but still
  61. Sep 5, 2013
    What can videogames produce? What is their goal? I do believe VG are art, so they want to communicate, create experiences. ZombiU is one of the freshest experiences out there. You'll see people speaking about graphics and bla bla bla, this game is a MUST HAVE, an unique experience. Do you want to play generic games or have unique experiences? Your call
  62. Sep 18, 2013
    This is the game that made me buy the Wii U. ZombiU is as survival as it can be. Every zombie is a threat, ammo is limited, and dying have consequences (in most cases you lose your stuff, and you have to go from your safe house to where you died to recover them). This game doesn't pause when you look at your inventory, read some document, or picklock a door (but there is a pause button, ifThis is the game that made me buy the Wii U. ZombiU is as survival as it can be. Every zombie is a threat, ammo is limited, and dying have consequences (in most cases you lose your stuff, and you have to go from your safe house to where you died to recover them). This game doesn't pause when you look at your inventory, read some document, or picklock a door (but there is a pause button, if you need a break and you haven't saved). The difficulty is medium to hard; but it can be increased with the option of 1 life game over.

The graphics are average (for today standards); but if you are used to Wii games, you'll look at this as a huge improvement. The overall ambiance feels dark, deserted, and sometimes frightening. The horror factor comes from the sound department, the eerie locations, and occasionally sudden panic situations (like a horde coming to kill you).

It lacks online multiplayer mode; but there is offline multiplayer, with one player controling the survivor with a Wiimote and nunchuck, or a Wii U Controller Pro, and the other deploys zombies in the map with the gamepad. Here the game is more action oriented. In single player mode, the game keeps a score that is published online, and appears in other people games if it's on the top ones.

ZombiU had the potential of being the best horror game in this generation; but it fell short in the graphic aspect, and it didn't went as deep into twisted situations that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia did. However it's still a great game, and I highly recommend it.
  63. May 4, 2014
    ZombiU is an amazing Zombie Survival horror game. Call me a fanboy, but I love the survival element in the game. What people don't like in it is that it's actually challenging. Every corner, every street and every hallway can have a painful death. Its scary, quick paced and the local multiplayer is fun! The big problem I had was the lack of weapons. Really, all I need is a shotgun and aZombiU is an amazing Zombie Survival horror game. Call me a fanboy, but I love the survival element in the game. What people don't like in it is that it's actually challenging. Every corner, every street and every hallway can have a painful death. Its scary, quick paced and the local multiplayer is fun! The big problem I had was the lack of weapons. Really, all I need is a shotgun and a pistol, but you get the idea. It needed a lot more weapons. Not coming from a "fanboy" perspective...I just liked the challenge. ZombiU gets 9/10. Expand
  64. Dec 13, 2013
    Zombi u is a good shooter
    but i think i have already played
    i mean,it wasnt very original and the gameplay its not perfect
    it feels like a clone of left 4 dead
    STILL BETTER THAN CALL OF DUTY
  65. Jul 11, 2014
    No Other Game Like It On Consoles Or PC. Now I Find Every Other Game To Be Irrelevant To Me. Zombi U Has Extremely Fun Gameplay. Cricket Bat is utterly boring. But I manage to go through most of the game without it. BECAUSE I MANAGE. I PREPARE. AND THATS WHAT THIS GAME TEACHES YOU. PREPARATION. USE NEW METHODS. SURVIVE.

The story builds up at a very good pace, but what lies under it is

The story builds up at a very good pace, but what lies under it is a great amount of subtext.

I'm just going to say... best game made by Ubisoft to date.
  66. Oct 30, 2013
    this game came with my Wii U. i was a bit hesitant because i don't like/do well with FPS, but i stuck with it. This game is better than what the sales or reviewers say! great graphics, controls, and man will it creep you out at times (the nursery)! i will tell you the downside: the storyline! it was horrible! but out of all the games i have traded in, i am sticking with this one!this game came with my Wii U. i was a bit hesitant because i don't like/do well with FPS, but i stuck with it. This game is better than what the sales or reviewers say! great graphics, controls, and man will it creep you out at times (the nursery)! i will tell you the downside: the storyline! it was horrible! but out of all the games i have traded in, i am sticking with this one! the multiplayer could have been better if it was online, but it does good on it's own. Get it and enjoy it!

instagram: Game_Row
  67. Feb 19, 2014
    This game certainly deserved better reviews than what it got. The controls were frustrating at first, but then I actually grew to like the sense of limited movement. Its not like CoD at all. It feels like you are actually controlling a human body and all the physical limitations that entails. It contributes greatly to the frantic, scrambling, survival sense. The game has some genuineThis game certainly deserved better reviews than what it got. The controls were frustrating at first, but then I actually grew to like the sense of limited movement. Its not like CoD at all. It feels like you are actually controlling a human body and all the physical limitations that entails. It contributes greatly to the frantic, scrambling, survival sense. The game has some genuine fright to it and has a 2 player mode that is not only funny, but also creative and extremely entertaining. I wouldve liked to see more options with melee combat besides a single weapon (a cricket bat) since you are very limited on ammo, but I think Ubisoft did a great thing with this game, and I would love to see a sequel where they refine some of these issues. Expand
  68. Nov 13, 2013
    Situative fear is just awesome in this game! You really fear for your life, not like in resident evils or whatever. Love it and the way you can explore and search for stuff, use it wise!
  69. Nov 3, 2014
    All of these big name publishers have seemed to have forgotten what Survival Horror is. Ubisoft who is among those publishers remembered for like a short period of time then immediately went full publisher retard again after the Wii U was seen as unsuccessful in their eyes.
    ZombiU is heart pounding, eerie and can be extremely tense as death in this game actually means something. If you die, you do come back, but as another survivor... and your old character is now a zombie. So if you had any attachment to your old character, you now have to kill them to get your stuff back. If you're not careful you can get jumped when you least suspect it or you can even die from a hoard mauling you to death. It's not an action game, if you're expecting to be a badass fighting hordes of the dead with chainsaws and katanas like in Left 4 Dead, you aren't going to find it. Something they could have really improved upon is the melee combat as it gets repetitive quickly and you would rather use a gun to finish off the bastard quickly even though the noise attracts more attention than its worth.
    Another thing that could have been improved upon is some of the graphics and the lighting effects, the Wii U isn't a powerhouse console but I'm pretty sure this department could have been better, but Ubisoft had to cheap out in that area. Also not sure if I missed something and it improves later on in the game but my torch is useless for seeing in the dark whereas my scanner can see a lot better and light the whole area better than my torch.

Overall this game is not bad, but not great either. It a good game to own if you like Survival Horror and aren't tired of zombies. Plus it shows Ubisoft that games like this can sell I mean with 700,000 sold to date, more than 3 Just Dance games combined I'd say this was a quiet and average success.
  70. Nov 16, 2013
    I actually give it a 10 because it was a 3rd party game ready at launch that utilizes the WiiU gamepad tremendously. Feature after feauture consistantly very impressive. It is the game I still play the most often. Lots to do and discover. It is a true survival horror game that is fun to pick up and play and very intense with a sound system or even playing the game in the dark. It canI actually give it a 10 because it was a 3rd party game ready at launch that utilizes the WiiU gamepad tremendously. Feature after feauture consistantly very impressive. It is the game I still play the most often. Lots to do and discover. It is a true survival horror game that is fun to pick up and play and very intense with a sound system or even playing the game in the dark. It can be scary. Don't panic. Good luck! Expand
  71. Nov 17, 2013
    I have no clue why so many critics gave this game a bad review. Sure, there are some bugs, but none of them are game-breaking. It's a great game, and I would love for Ubisoft to make a sequel and fix some things and add a few things that are missing, but the game itself is pretty amazing, and one of the only games i have ever played, on any system, that has made me truly scared.
  72. Nov 18, 2013
    I found this game to be a bold and engaging experience. It has a unique atmosphere and very good Gamepad integrated features. It has flaws quite a few actually. But since this game drew me into this zombie infested London so quick and didn´t let me go until I finished the game through, I have no other options but to rate this game an 8/10

Still I would have wished for better zombi

Still I would have wished for better zombi character models and better texture quality overall.
    Plus it seemed rushed and therefore was buggy here and there nothing gamebreaking for me though.
    Recommended for the more old schooled gamers around who are looking for an intense experience and are not afraid of the dark.
  73. Nov 19, 2013
    This is a game that honestly you'll have to find out for yourself if you like it. Reviews are kind of guidelines on this one, so to each is own. you really have to try this one for yourself.

Just think of the difficulty and dying of Dark souls meets a walking dead british style. My only beef with the game is that they should've had more melee weapons than a cricket bat. Zombiu

Zombiu truly uses the gamepad to its full content and Ubisoft delivers an almost realistic sense of surviving in a zombie apocalypse.

If you're the kind of gamer that just wants to run through everything guns a blazin then I would say this game is not for you rambo, go back to left for dead.

I will say you can dumb down the difficulty a bit, but honestly you are defeating the purpose of this game.

I myself am not a fan of hardcore difficulty games where you have to constantly learn from your mistakes including dying and starting all over, but this one I'd say sticks with me.

My best advice is play this after watching an episode of walking dead. Great feel
  74. Jul 19, 2014
    I can't remember playing a game that keeps you on edge more than this. It isn't perfect by any means but the experience of playing it is top notch. Using headphones amplifies that feeling of terror as you hear zombies lurking or coming for you. Ubisoft uses the gamepad as well as any game thus far. It could use more polish and refinement but graphically it was very good. They definitelyI can't remember playing a game that keeps you on edge more than this. It isn't perfect by any means but the experience of playing it is top notch. Using headphones amplifies that feeling of terror as you hear zombies lurking or coming for you. Ubisoft uses the gamepad as well as any game thus far. It could use more polish and refinement but graphically it was very good. They definitely took some shortcuts with the routes you needed to take to get to places looking too similar. It is a must own game for the Wii U though and really..only a couple stupid reviews (IGN) keep this score down. It's a solid 8 overall but a 9 for the Wii U. Expand
  75. Jul 5, 2014
    This is exactly what a wii u game should play like , it utilizes the gamepad perfectly and its an also very fun survivor horror first person shooter , lots of weapons to choose from , zombies to kill , and hidden paths everywhere , it was a great launch title , nowadays you can get it for 20$ and its worth every penny
  76. Dec 24, 2013
    (This is a very long review that goes in depth) I'm a bit late to the ZombiU launch date, this was supposed to be one of the Wii U's main launch title and was supposed to showcase how to the gamepad can be used in harmony with the TV.It does that exactly. ZombiU is Zombie thriller that focuses not on the shoot and hope you dont die gameplay but instead takes Zombie killing back to its(This is a very long review that goes in depth) I'm a bit late to the ZombiU launch date, this was supposed to be one of the Wii U's main launch title and was supposed to showcase how to the gamepad can be used in harmony with the TV.It does that exactly. ZombiU is Zombie thriller that focuses not on the shoot and hope you dont die gameplay but instead takes Zombie killing back to its roots.Focusing in on planning, conservation of ammo, if you try to run and shoot on this you are going to last 10 minutes.ZombiU reminds me of the days back when the N64 had resident evil. You were on edge, it was tough gameplay you had to be wise with the little ammo you had. ZombiU is probably one of the greatest Zombie games ever and one of the greatest FPS games ever. ZombiU in my opinion has achieved its goal of being realistic, tense but at the same time give a Zombie experience that is ultimately fun and memorable. The story line is a bit confusing at places especially at the start with Some "Prepper" telling what to do but does get interesting I wont spoil the fun though.I'll split the rest of the review into specific features of the game.

Setting/Location-
    The setting being London is an interesting choice to say the least as here in the UK you would have trouble finding any firearm unless its an air rifle. Also being set in London a city makes the chances of anyone owning an axe or chainsaw extremely unlikely but that all aside, I personally love the settings a trip to the The Tower Of London is something I will not likely forget. If have you played the demo you would have completed the nursery level, that nursery is one the most scariest Zombie experience I have ever had. 9/10

Combat-
    A lot of people complain about the clunky combat in this game and the lack of extra melee weapons but this all adds to the realism of the game, as I said earlier its unlikely that you will find anything better. As for the clunky combat I dont think its that clunky but this also adds to the ever increasing difficulty of the game. A great way to get more used to the combat is to play the multiplayer which is excellent. The combat at times is very clunky but again gives you a challenge (And I play it on Chicken Level). There is quite a range of guns to find and use from the Desert Eagle (Known in the game as the magnum I think) to the silent deadly Crossbow which is a very fun weapon to use. 8/10

Difficulty-
    I would like to think I'm quite the expert gamer choosing to play a lot of games on the hardest setting, but this was a challenge for me I chose to play on Chicken which was the only one other that normal. I assume it makes the zombies more docile and not quite as sharp but even with that 3 hours I had already died 5 times. Which sounds fine if I was playing a simple die and respawn from the last checkpoint game but alas this game decided to put an interesting spin in that, everytime you die in this game you respawn but at the safe house and as a different survivor, your previous survivor has now turned into a zombie and has all of its weapons with it and you have to go and find to get it all back. Making this a frustrating yet challenging way to die and respawn. 10/10

Multiplayer-
    A small feature with huge potential. Multiplayer is a great way to showcase the gamepads features and makes me wish there was a RTS game for Wii U. Play as the King of Zombies who can spawn zombies to attack a survivor (Player 2 with a Wii Nunchuk Combo or Wii U Pro Controller) capture flags and try to stop the survivor capturing flags. I have had a lot of fun with multiplayer unfortunately limited by only playing with 2 players this shows what can be done in the future with FPS games imagine spawning MW3 juggernauts to try and kill the other players and this could be done online. There are 3 modes in ZombiU's multiplayer Assault basically CTF, Kill Box where the survivor just needs to kill as many zombies as they can, Survival where its time based as opposed to kill based (this is a Uplay reward)
    Overall Multiplayer has a lot of potential 9/10

Graphics-
    This is a let-down unfortunately they're not great but they aren't necessarily bad, they could just be improved is all I will say. 7/10

Gamepad Use-
    This is amazing giving a constant map, letting you scan rooms for items saves so much time but the gamepad use also adds another great amount of difficulty as the game does not pause for you while arranging your equipment or picking a lock so while your attention is fixed on the gamepad on the TV a zombie could be right behind you this adds more difficulty to the game. Overall this game gives us the reason why the Wii U has a gamepad 10/10

Overall this is a must buy and with the talk of a 26th December eshop sale with ZombiU being reduced to 7.99 there is no reason not to buy this. This game has laid down the foundation for many more great Wii U games. I hope there is a sequel even if it has to be cross platform. 9/10 game
  77. Jan 6, 2014
    This game is much better than people give it credit, and so much of the negativity seems to be based in graphics, bugs and/or genre confusion. So, let's start with the graphics: granted, this isn't the best-looking game, but it was a launch title, and most launch titles (on any console) don't showcase a system's full potential. Even considering that, I personally don't think it looks asThis game is much better than people give it credit, and so much of the negativity seems to be based in graphics, bugs and/or genre confusion. So, let's start with the graphics: granted, this isn't the best-looking game, but it was a launch title, and most launch titles (on any console) don't showcase a system's full potential. Even considering that, I personally don't think it looks as bad as people say, which leads us to the bugs and glitches. Most of the "game-breaking" ones have been ironed out in patches, leaving (so far as I've encountered) sparse and minor glitches that in no way hinder game play. And as for the genre... This isn't Dead Rising or a FPS, so don't expect to be able to cleave through zombies in single strikes or mow them down in rows. It's a survival game, and as the in-game guide says near starting up, it's sometimes better to just run, which should give the player an idea of what he/she will encounter. Expand
  78. Nov 18, 2014
    Picked this up because it was $15 and there wasn't much else to play on my wii u, even at that price I felt let down. The game feels dated and it just isn't very fun at all. Not sure why people are reviewing this one so highly....
  79. Jan 20, 2014
    I got this game dec 13 and I love it. Was the 1st game I played on wii u so took about a hour to get to grips with. I heard about alot of game breaking bugs but 14 hours in I havent seen any yet. I have loved every minute of this game. Graphics are decent( not groundbreaking) sound is good gameplay is good. The tension is very high and is truly scary when played in the dark with the soundI got this game dec 13 and I love it. Was the 1st game I played on wii u so took about a hour to get to grips with. I heard about alot of game breaking bugs but 14 hours in I havent seen any yet. I have loved every minute of this game. Graphics are decent( not groundbreaking) sound is good gameplay is good. The tension is very high and is truly scary when played in the dark with the sound up. Also a decent variety of guns but only one melee weapon which is a cricket bat so I mainly stick to guns. Expand
  80. Feb 28, 2014
    By the way, you can piss off wth stupid, futile, invisible assistant. He's not only a ball buster but a morale destroyer as well. He doesn't help. When does he help? Exactly. Other than scanning doors and **** constantly about cameras and good riddance if a survivor dies because the makers of this program basically sat around a conference table and decided "what if we made a zombie firstBy the way, you can piss off wth stupid, futile, invisible assistant. He's not only a ball buster but a morale destroyer as well. He doesn't help. When does he help? Exactly. Other than scanning doors and **** constantly about cameras and good riddance if a survivor dies because the makers of this program basically sat around a conference table and decided "what if we made a zombie first person shooter that could become uh......"the most unbeatable" in the WORLD." We'll be rich by Xmas next year for gods sake people will clamber for it just to prove they can do it!, the American market is ours! Sound familiar? I think so.
    And no. Give a challenge, but you gotta play fair. Otherwise, it's not a real game. It's a joke.
  81. Feb 8, 2014
    ZombiU is a great game, but not the amazing game every nintendo fan claims it is. This game was hyped beyond belief, and the story mode is ok. However, I love the multiplayer mode and would have bought the game just for that if it had online (which unfortunately it doesn't).
  82. Feb 26, 2014
    Use of the gamepad was intuitive, music and sound effects are well designed. I've heard multiplayer is good, but I don't play well with others so I wouldn't know.

Use of the gamepad was counter intuitive during fight sequences in that you need it to switch weapons, and for a game that punishes you for dying, it's spiteful to put you in a powerless position for even just a moment, all while trying to cover yourself on the fly with no ammunition.

In general the controls are just terrible. Let's face it, the gamepad is basically a tablet computer in your hands, and with the controls it brings your arms far enough apart that you have to get used to playing with it as if it were a standard controller and there is a comfort level you have to find in this configuration. That being said, L3 for running was truly a bad idea as L and LZ are just below it, and were constantly disrupting my progress. I had to mentally remember to keep my left index finger snuggly under L so I didn't accidentally trigger it or LZ while running, especially during the circus time trials, which are forced on you when you just think you're getting a hang of the game. The option to invert look on the game pad was a glaring omission, as I'm an old school gamer and have always used flight-sim style controls on my FPS's. Mentally switching between the two view formats was such a headache that I literally re-programmed myself to play with standard controls. It's been an adjustment that has literally re-defined how I play games now.

Graphics are substandard, with poor textures and a garish "looking through a dirty car window" aspect to them. Because of this I truly wasn't scared, feeling as if I was watching some animated Zombie movie where poorly rendered dead things were being thrust at me.

Zombi U is blessed with at least one horrible programming snafu, such as when I was locked in a safe room in Buckingham Palace and was unable to do anything but quit my game and lose all my progress. Load times are also questionable.

Logic seems to be an option in this world, as you are left with nothing when you reincarnate and you start at level 1, but your weapons retain their upgrades and you always have a pistol and a bat. Additionally, zombies are typically lumbering unfocused creatures. Regardless of this fact, in Zombi U they keep up with you at an irritating rate, even when you run. They might as well be alive.

Disappointing character development puts a damper on the emotional draw of the game. The Prepper seems to be in his own little world, eventually falling under the illusion I'm working against him. The doctor in Buckingham Palace has an interesting flare, but his character is so undeveloped that we don't really care when his predicament comes to a dead end. Finally there are these spoken messages throughout the game that are intended to engage the player in the evolution of the "Blight", but they seem more like sprigs of parsley on a dinner plate; sure you can eat them but they are hardly satisfying. All of these factors augment the feeling that you're not interacting with anything, just running around bashing Zombies.

While I don't mind the next aspect so much, game play has been compared to Metroid where you backtrack for additional items and clues, and Zombi U is all about retracing your steps. But at least Metroid has tight controls that give you a fighting chance and doesn't compound the punishments if you don't play the game a specific way, such as this game where if you fail to survive during the final sequence, your shortcuts are removed.

While you're free to travel almost anywhere in London, I would have suggested a better chronological flow to the game, where we experience the passage of day and night, such as in Skyrim. I think this urgency to get under cover when night falls would have added an amazing dimension to the game, but time seems to be a prisoner along with us, where it's always night or always day depending on where you're at.

Some have said the game should be looked at as true survival horror but even the original "Resident Evil" gave you a save system to fall back on, Zombi U gives you a learning curve for wrapping your head around the idea that you are playing a body, not a character, even though they all have names. If they die, you can move onto the next one so having any feelings for these automatons is pointless. Yeah, it probably looked good on paper, but I think just like the lack of connection with the Prepper, all of these elements enhance ones indifference to the experience, and it totally works against the game.

A challenge for many and I do respect that, Zombie U is definitely a game that will monopolize your mind and give you plenty of work to do to get through it, but it could easily have been put on a mobil device and called "Bash the Zombies" and would have been just as effective.

FHP
  83. Feb 27, 2014
    This is a start to what all Zombie games have been missing in my opinion. An open world first person shooter. What I am saying is that its a proper Zombie simulator with all the proper Zombie apocalypse aspects, as in limited resources, strategy and many scares. My wishes is that there could be a bit less head bashing and more shooting, slightly better graphics and online co-op play andThis is a start to what all Zombie games have been missing in my opinion. An open world first person shooter. What I am saying is that its a proper Zombie simulator with all the proper Zombie apocalypse aspects, as in limited resources, strategy and many scares. My wishes is that there could be a bit less head bashing and more shooting, slightly better graphics and online co-op play and multiplayer online play. However it is undoubtable the best Zombie survival game I have ever played, possibly the greatest Zombie game ever made. Expand
  84. Mar 14, 2014
    I absolutely love Zombi U. Don't expect a game where you'll be immersed in some incredible storyline and lovable characters-this game isn't really about that. It's all about creating a terrifying atmosphere where you feel really alone and where you get legitimately scared and panicked when a group of zombies comes out of nowhere. Sometimes I find myself fumbling through my inventoryI absolutely love Zombi U. Don't expect a game where you'll be immersed in some incredible storyline and lovable characters-this game isn't really about that. It's all about creating a terrifying atmosphere where you feel really alone and where you get legitimately scared and panicked when a group of zombies comes out of nowhere. Sometimes I find myself fumbling through my inventory haphazardly when I'm caught off guard by zombies because I wasn't prepared for it. It's a rush! I even start shooting poorly because I'm so panicked. It's just plain creepy and unpredictable. Best part about it is that once you die, you start as a new survivor with hardly any supplies (I'm sure you knew that). But that makes me try SO HARD to stay alive, making any zombie encounter terrifyingly realistic. Most first person shooters can't create those types of emotions because you know you'll just respawn again in a location right near where you died and you don't have anything to lose. Not in Zombi U. Survival means everything. Highly recommended. Expand
  85. Mar 24, 2014
    I have to be honest, when I got this game I didn't really expect much. I read some reviews about it and i heard mixed reactions. Some people loved it while some despised it. It's not until I started playing it for myself that I developed my own opinion.
    At first the game starts of a bit slow. The controls take some getting use to and you only have the cricket bat. Which is fun, don't get me wrong. But you crave for a weapon after a while.
    But ones I started getting a hang of it it turned out to be pretty good. This game is very tense. I think that even the most hardened of gamers will get some scares out of it.
    Once you start finding weapons and upgrading them the game gets pretty addicting.
    There are definitely some great moments in this game like when you go into The Royal Safe for example.
    I appreciate what Ubisoft did with this game. It's not just a mindless shoot-em up game like Dead Island or Left4Dead. It's everything a survival-horror stands for. If you're not into slower but creepier games than this isn't your game. It got overlooked in my opinion. If you have a WiiU and haven't played this game for some reason, do so. Trust me, you won't regret it. Especially considering it goes around for 10 euros nowadays. This game deserves a bit more credit.
  86. Jun 5, 2014
    I bought this at launch along with New Super Mario and CoD Black Ops 2. I played this through over and over again. Whenever I tried the other games I got bored and went back to ZombiU. I have no idea how people can hate on this. I imagine they were brought up on modern games that are really just linear movie like experiences with save points every two minutes.

My wife actually loves

My wife actually loves watching me play ZombiU and will bribe me to play it just so she can watch.
  87. Jul 15, 2014
    Much better than I thought it would be! ZombiU is a slow paced survival horror and it is pretty fun. I am a huge Resident Evil fan and if you like the old games, you will like this game. If you like the old Resident Evil games, you may not want to get it. What I like is that anything is a threat. One bite can kill you. I also like that you can return to your zombified character, kill it,Much better than I thought it would be! ZombiU is a slow paced survival horror and it is pretty fun. I am a huge Resident Evil fan and if you like the old games, you will like this game. If you like the old Resident Evil games, you may not want to get it. What I like is that anything is a threat. One bite can kill you. I also like that you can return to your zombified character, kill it, and get your stuff back. I also like the competitive split screen co-op. I really dislike that it lags a lot and you can't do online multiplayer. Also the game is extremely slow. Not survival horror slow, REALLY slow. ZombiU gets a 7/10 Expand
  88. Jul 7, 2014
    One of the few modern day survival horror games. It is thrilling, intense and you will die.

If you can look past the obvious flaws you will find a great and terrifying experience
  89. Jul 11, 2014
    I would rate the scare factor up there with Fatal Frame. I would rate the zombie content next to Resident Evil. I felt that the game play was satisfactory and the graphics were good, not great, but definitely solid. The bugs have been fixed as far as I can tell. I have never encountered any except for when I phased through a gate getting an item. I didn't mind though because it saved meI would rate the scare factor up there with Fatal Frame. I would rate the zombie content next to Resident Evil. I felt that the game play was satisfactory and the graphics were good, not great, but definitely solid. The bugs have been fixed as far as I can tell. I have never encountered any except for when I phased through a gate getting an item. I didn't mind though because it saved me time walking the long way around to get it lol. The game is slow, that is until you learn how to play it. The slow pace builds suspense. It is an intense game and I love it. On my second play through I figured out how to use crawl points and bottle necks to kill zombies easier. I've also found explosives in the areas I can shoot to kill more zombies, learned how to use the flares, mines, and molotov cocktails. The thing is you need to learn how to survive and once you do this game becomes awesome and allows for multiple strategies. Most people I've seen play this hate it because they don't understand it and how to play it properly. It is not a FPS run and gun. You have to think about your next move if you want to survive. Expand
  90. Sep 22, 2014
    Despite some glitches and below standard graphics,ZombiU is a worthy survival horror game that its does it job to make your heart race and build suspense.
  91. Sep 26, 2014
    I'm wondering if people who play games on the Wii U actually play on an HDTV. The way Skyward Sword intentionally had that watermark look (which made the game look better imo) ZombiU had that "retro" survival look and it looked good on my tv. Sure at some points combat became stale or repetitive, but the real drawback to the game was the way the "quick select" buttons were laid out. ThisI'm wondering if people who play games on the Wii U actually play on an HDTV. The way Skyward Sword intentionally had that watermark look (which made the game look better imo) ZombiU had that "retro" survival look and it looked good on my tv. Sure at some points combat became stale or repetitive, but the real drawback to the game was the way the "quick select" buttons were laid out. This game does what a good Zombie survival game is supposed to do. Guess people were expecting CoD Nazi zombies. Glad I picked this game up. Expand
  92. Nov 4, 2014
    pues la verdad hasta ahora es el mejor survival horror que hay no puedo encontrar otro juego que trate de hacerlo como zombieu ya que muchos tratan de hacerlo mejor pero lamentablemente zombieu les gana es una lastima que ubisoft diga que no vendio bien cuando todos sabemos que si en fin si tienes wii u y aun no lo tienes ve a buscarlo creeme vale la pena jugarlo
  93. Oct 11, 2014
    A great game wrapped up in a technical mess.

This is probably one of the best Zombie games on the market, with its atmosphere, level design etc, however the fact that you'll have to mash the bat at the enemy for almost the entire game since ammo is very scarce gets frustrating, besides that it takes literally 40 seconds or so to open some doors in the game. Would be one of my
    A great game wrapped up in a technical mess.

Would be one of my favorites if it weren't for those problems.

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.