• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2012
7.6

1. Nov 18, 2012
    Not sure what's up with all of these 0-3 reviews--come on now. I'll be giving it a 10 just to boost it from the trolls.

The graphics are not great--that's its low point. They absolutely nailed the feel and atmosphere with the music, sounds, and locations. If you are a fan of survival horror, you'll certainly want to check this game out. I'm not saying it's a timeless masterpiece,
    but get out of here with those 0 scores. Expand
  2. Nov 27, 2012
    I think this game is not getting the love it deserves. It's a great game for the Wii U. Great graphics, great sound, and it's a very unique approach to the zombie genre that just won't go away. If you own a Wii U, i say buy this game over the rest. Mass Effect 3 and other titles are just not worthy to be in the same level as ZU. Give it a try. The best Wii U game so far!
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    OMFG this game is absolutely hands down the best survival horror I've ever played in my life. Do not play on easy mode. No ammo pickups, maximize your skills with melee, and get ready to get your ass TORTURED. I thought the Wii U was going to be the weakest new console to hit but this title makes it a brutal, brutal new episode in gaming. Going to pick it up real soon (have only made these judgments based on my neighbor's new setup). Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    we now have a precedent for what all wii u FPS should be like. watch the trailer to see how it works: you are fully immersed and have to use your body to move the screen around to see exactly what you're getting yourself into. it's almost like you're in the game itself. like nothing i've ever played before.
  5. Nov 18, 2012
    This is a very unique game that rewards the thoughtful player. If you come in wanting to just blast zombies, look elsewhere. However, if you like to tread lightly and think before you move then you're in for one heck of a scary and rewarding experience.
  6. Nov 18, 2012
    Hi, ZombieU is an awesome game, graphically good with a setting and atmosphere very successful survival horror. As for the multiplayer is the most original.
  7. Nov 18, 2012
    GameSpot gave this awesome a 45/100, but then they deleted the review. Yep. Anyway, ZombiU it's an awesome game not only because it's better than the new entries in the series that used to be the bomb in the Horror genre a decade ago ( Resident Evil and Silent Hill), but also because it's challenging, rewarding and it uses the GamePad in a great way. Get this. It's gold.
  8. Jan 2, 2013
    I'm a zombie fanatic so when I first heard about ZombiU I had to have it. It's literally the whole reason I bought a Wii U, and while it's not perfect it's a game that I recommend to all zombie fans. This is a survival horror game will both challenge and frighten you. Unlike most zombie games the infected actually won't go down without a fight, making encounters against more than one of them a tense ordeal, and if your off your game against even one of them it will spell doom for your character. One of the most unique features of ZombiU is the permadeath system, which means if your character dies their dead for good, at which point you come back as a new survivor who then has to go back and hunt down your now zombified old character and get your supplies back. It works really well and helps set ZombiU apart from just being another undead shooter. This game is also a fantastic way for Nintendo to show off what the Wii U is capable of doing with it's two screen functionality. For most of the game you'll look at the TV screen, but when your doing things like looting, lock-picking, and checking your backpack, ect. you'll be looking at the gamepad, the cool thing about this is that when your looking at the game-pad the outside world does not pause so your never safe and at any time a walker can come up and kill you while your distracted, so you really need to be aware of you surroundings at all time. All of these help make ZombiU a gem on the Wii U, and hopefully this will be the start of a Wii U exclusive zombie series. Now for the bad, if this game does get a sequel there are some things that need to be fixed. Gunplay needs to be better, melee combat, while satisfying, could benefit from more weapons (preferably something better than a weak cricket bat, a machete would be nice), there are some technical issues that need to be fixed, a better story that preferably let's you choose which characters you side with, and I don't want to have to wait for a door to open while the game is loading (sometimes this took close to a minute). But even with it's flaws ZombiU is a excellent and challenging zombie, survival-horror game for your Wii U. I highly recommend. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2012
    It's a really survival horror. The graphics and story are not the best. But the mechanics with the gamepad are cool and the terror sensation is real. Good game!
  10. Nov 25, 2012
    As a survival horror game, this game really does its job. Yeah you will end up beating zombies with a cricket bat a lot, but that's because supply conservation is a crucial and common element of any real survival horror game. I found the game to have a very dark and scary atmosphere that has kept me pacing myself wherever I go rather than running and gunning without a care. The story of a zombie plague is told through real time scenes (a la half-life) as well as numerous news paper pages and letters you find. I've found myself interested in all aspects of the game... I feel like the negative reviews for this are full of prematurely conceived biases and a fair number of reviewers were expecting the wrong kind of game. Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2013
    Disappointing Anyone who has had any substantial experience playing video games will immediately notice the many horrible game designs used in this subpar game. Allow me to elaborate, in detail, why this game is horrible and you should save your money for a more enjoyable game: 1. Controls (5/10) Aiming with a thumbstick is a horrible and outdated way of aiming in 3D games on a next generation console. It’s ineffective, slow and frustrating. The technology the WiiU has makes it possible to make aiming a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience than fumbling around with a thumbstick. One only needs to look at the Zelda Archery minigame in Nintendoland to see that aiming projectile weapons in games on the WiiU can be both easy, fun and accurate rather than backwards, clunky and inaccurate.
    The rest of the controls such as map, inventory management, “pinging” for nearby zombies, scanning a room are all executed on the WiiU gamepad. Many of these features are used very often making looking down at the gamepad a common occurrence that detracts from the immersion in the game and makes it more difficult than necessary to accomplish simple and always repetitive tasks.
    It seems that Ubisoft went to great pain to make sure their game used EVERY SINGLE NEW FEATURE of the new WiiU regardless of if it actually even added any value to the title. Just because your game can utilize a feature of the WiiU console/gamepad doesn’t necessarily mean it has to. The scanning feature is cool the first two or three times you use it, but pulling out your scanner and waving your arms around every single time you enter a new room gets repetitive, boring and slows the gameplay and action to a crawl. Over 50% of the time you play this game you will be spent either scanning each and every new room you enter or collecting the items you find during said scans. This makes the core of ZombieU feel mostly like a easter egg hunt game rather than a zombie survival game.
    For a title that makes it’s main selling point the game controls, ZombieU leaves a lot to be desired on the controls front.

2. Graphics (5/10)
    The game actually looks pretty nice when you can actually see it.
    ZombieU has this persistent dirty screen effect that puts random circles on the screen that look akin to viewing the entire game through a dirty piece of glass. This I feel detracts from the game or was put in to obscure the overall average polygon counts in ZombieU.
    ZombieU also has a habit of making light sources look like someone installed nuclear powered light bulbs in every socket. Being blinded by overly bright lights is just another graphics gimmick that makes actually seeing the environment difficult.
    The game is also notoriously dark making the viewing area in such areas just as wide and as far as your non nuclear powered flashlight can shine. Flashlights in games are cool but only if they are used sparingly here and there such as in games like Metro 2033. ZombieU has a heavy reliance on flashlights making it even more difficult to view your environment.

3. Combat (3/10)
    I hope you like that pretty cricket bat you get at the start of the game because 90% of all combat in this game will be you bashing zombies over and over and over with the damn thing. Between scanning rooms and bashing zombies over and over with your cricket bat, 80% of the time you spend in this game will be doing one of these two repetitive actions.
    Aiming is difficult and the firearms in the game are weak. A headshot to a zombie (if you can even manage to hit a moving zombie in the head with a crappy thumbstick aiming device) doesn’t kill a zombie, it takes upwards of three headshots to kill a zombie. With ammo being scarce as it is already coupled with crappy and ineffective alternatives you are pretty much stuck with that crappy bat.
    Speaking of that crappy bat, your character really really sucks at using it effectively. The animation (not animations) to swing it are slow, boring and repetitive making combat a thing of timing seeing as it can take a whole 4-6 seconds from the time you push the swing attack until the time you can swing again. Timing combos, varying bat animations and effects and not to mention just different melee weapons (knives, swords, hammers) could have made the melee combat more enjoyable.

4. Gameplay (4/10)
    I hope you like a linear roller coaster gaming experience. This game is not open in the least, it does not give you choices to make you simply hop in the ZombieU roller coaster and tackle each and every problem it throws your way in the proper order it wants you to. There isn’t even any dialog choice to make, the only voice characters in the game simply talk at you rather than talk with you.

Overall, this game doesn’t feel so much like a fun well designed game but rather a gimmick to show off all the new features of the WiiU that will drive you utterly insane with frustration at it’s backwards game design.
  12. Jan 27, 2013
    The game started off great. But then zombies that explode on contact simply because they're wearing a tank on their backs even if you don't actually hit said tank, and a plethora of game breaking bugs just made this a pointless purchase really. With no official word on a patch to fix the various issues with the game, I'd say skip this. Don't even ask for it as a gift.
  13. Nov 25, 2012
    Just would like to say that you should not look into the negative reviews about this game. Sure, first person zombie games have come out before, but nothing like this. The sheer level of detail and the lighting, and the environments all blend together to make a pretty damn good launch title. I especially like how, if you become infected, you play as the next survivor and have to kill your previous player. Thought that was really an ingenious idea. I have only scratched the surface, but from what I can see, there is no wrong with this game. Expand
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    I wasn't going to try this game after reading IGN's review but after reading some more review's from other site's eg "Ausgamers". I bought a WiiU and ZombieU and have loved it the graphics are not the best but thats after playing other titles on my pc when i play my ps3 or xbox 360 i always am in shock how bad the graphics look compared to pc .One of IGN's negative points was ammo being scarce but they were playing it before everyone's zombie survivors were popping up in each others world like loot pinatas. The Melee combat is a little clunky but really would say a nurse in real life be able to pick up a bat and turn into a zombie killing machine?. The atmosphere is great as well .. There is nothing like the feeling of scanning the environment before you turn a corner. I like the game pad use's for checking your bag and looting. I hate it for tapping manhole covers and timber boards. Like others have said if you love survival horror games give this a try and you will not regret it. Ohh and buy something else to play when your heart cannot take it after a couple of hours.. Collapse
  15. Dec 7, 2012
    This is a really great game. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a NEW gaming experience. I did not think that either Nintendo or Ubisoft could pull something like this off.

The game is genuinely frightening, like Amnesia frightening. That alone amazes me that Nintendo has a more frightening game than the other two. The gamepad works as a unique controller that adds elements to the
    game, real, tactile gameplay that doesn't exist on any other platform at this time.

I don't know why there are neg reviews, but the graphics are great, the gameplay is an improved classic survival horror and not FPS style. That means you can't whip your head around 360, but you are impaired by a more realistic response time. One thing is for certain, you will truly feel like you are in this game. You will be scared.

I highly recommend this game. If you like survival horror I don't believe you can find a better experience. How long will you survive?
  16. Apr 30, 2013
    I found this game to be pretty poor and I don't know how it passed nintendo's QA. 1st off, the game is full of bugs. My first play through, I fell through the floor near a save point. The game auto-saves due to it's quasi-perma-death mechanic. So it said I died, falling through the floor, auto-saved with no way to get my stuff back, but then it kept spawning me at the hole in the floor. So each time I tried to start from that save again it just threw me through the floor. So that was several hours lost after I had to delete my game and restart. I also ran into plenty of other game-breaking bugs in my several hours with the game.

The graphics are just awful. I'd say they're comparable to launch xbox 360 games like condemned: criminal origins. They're just really bad and it's often hard to see what you're doing.

The sound is awful too. Guns sound pathetically weak, zombies don't sound scary.

Some reviewers here are saying this is a "true survival horror" game. I found the game neither scary, nor having any real aspect on survival other than the quasi-perma-death and 1-bite-death mechanics. Other than that many areas of the game can be beaten simply by tossing a flare and sprinting away. If you make it to a sewer hole it acts as a checkpoint. No real survival here...

The gameplay is extremely basic. Melee weapons are boring consisting of one swing move. Guns are boring and feel unrealistic. The scanning mechanic to find items and stuff is cool...for about the 1st 5 minutes. Then after the 50th time you have to stop and scan a room using the wii u's game pad, it gets old and tedious.

Honestly I'd say skip this game entirely. A select few may find something to like here, but the majority of people are going to find this a shockingly low quality, boring game that uses none of the wii u's functionality well at all.
  17. Nov 26, 2012
    Wow, this was a day one purchase as it s for me and I have to admit I played it for an hour and was somewhat unimpressed. I came back about a week later and told myself I was going to give it a fair shot and boy am I glad I ever did. The initial turn off to many gamers I think is that it is NOT a scripted "hold your hand" type of game and it aims to take from seasoned greats such as Dark Souls (Learning from dying), Metroid (Revisiting past places with new equipment to access new areas), and even Resident Evil One (Clunky Survival Horror) Although its not perfect graphically or combat wise It almost seems to be a necessity as the graphical style allows for more surprises (think Silent Hill Fog) and the minor clunkiness gives you a sense of urgency when attacking or running from Zombies. This game is great and like many Nintendo exclusives makes me realize why I enjoy games so much. The amount of ingenuity and new ideas far surpasses almost every modern day title to date and with a few more tweaks such as more melee weapons and some slightly better character animations, the future of this series could be very good. Expand
  18. Nov 26, 2012
    Please, PLEASE try this game. The online reviews have been very harsh with it, and I personally think it deserves your attention. It is not perfect, far from it, but the game-play is fun, the atmosphere is great, you really feel like it's a survival. I also really enjoyed the gamepad features, scanning around for items and mission objectives, looking into your backpack you can get attacked if not careful, hearing the radio communication from the gamepad while looking at the screen is a small detail that really immerse you into the game. So please, try it :) Expand
  19. Dec 13, 2012
    ZombiU is an excellent survival horror game, in my opinion is a bit like the resident evil on playstation 1, in the only thing I complain a little is in the graphics, but everything else is excellent game.
  20. Jan 22, 2013
    The market is flooded with run and gun shooters and this one sets itself apart. It's more about surviving with limited resources and I mean limited. The atmospheric sounds add a great deal to the experience especially traveling in the dark. There is so much detail in this game I don't know where to begin like the fire and water effects are nicely done as well as lighting. But sure the visuals are not the games strong point but the gameplay is where it strikes. It's about carefully executed events that keep you alive and never rushing to reach the next objective, one small mistake and it's zombie food. Do yourself a favor and try this out. Get ready to jump out of your seat because they come when you least expect it. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2012
    First of all, I'm laughing at the multi-accounting casuals giving this game low ratings. They should stick to their Cowadoody and pseudo-horror games like Dead Space and RE6 and stay away from genuinely hardcore games like this. Anyways, this game is brutally hard; the zombies aren't one-hit kills any more, but they still present a huge threat. Regenerating health? You wish. Save points? Spare me. There's no reloading save points when **** hits the fan; you make do or die. This game is brutal. The game also takes ammo conservation up to eleven. Finding five handgun bullets is cause for celebration, and if you try to play this like Dead Space you'll find yourself having to spend most of your time beating zombies to death with a stick. Another surprisingly deep aspect is the Gamepad; everything, from switching weapons to picking locks, is handled on it, drawing your attention away from the TV and the horrible things trying to chew your face off. It racks up the tension, which brings me to another point: ZombiU is genuinely scary. In an era of gaming where games that claim to be scary aren't (RE6), this is suprising. The game has its downsides, though: the constant backtracking gets tedious after a while, and the multiplayer feels weak. Ultimately, though, this is one of those games where you'll decide whether or not you like it based on what you want out of it. If you're hoping for Kill Everything Ever: Zombie Edition, stick with RE6 and Dead Space; you'll hate everything about this game, from the slow-pacing to the punishing ammo conservation and the backtracking. This game is strictly for survivalists and true survival horror fanatics; it scary, gory, and doesn't make any effort to coddle the player. It's the antithesis to the endless casualized shooters and action-horror games made by other companies, and an ode to those who want a sadistic challenge. And here's to hoping that the inevitable sequels stay that way. Expand
  22. Jun 22, 2013
    Let's face it, when it comes to launch titles, people shouldn't expect too much, especially from Third Party developer. However, I have to admit that ZombiU is a solid title, which tries its hardest to utilize WiiU's functionality to the best of its abilities. This is not a FPS; it's a pretty hardcore survival horror game. Bitten by a zombie? You'll become one, and you will resume the game as another 'survivor', losing your loot in the process. When you have more than 2 zombies in front of you, moving headfirst will surely end your game prematurely. It leads to a lot of tension for sure. This is more of a survival horror title than the acclaimed RE series these days. The only bad thing: so so narrative, probably due to the 'perma death' system in the game. If you own a WiiU, and looking for a solid exclusive, give this one a look. Expand
  23. Mar 31, 2013
    ZombiU is a great game. While it misses on a few elements such as how many times it takes to kill a zombie with the melee weapon and maybe not having the most coherent story, what the game does well makes these flaws an afterthought. I don't think I've ever played a game that had me on my toes as much as this one. When a zombie pops up behind you or around a corner it's legitimately frightening. It's hard to understand the ign and gamestop reviews, I would of thought this game would be hailed as innovative and taking risks, unlike many of the FPS type games out today. The atmosphere of this game is really something special. Expand
  24. Dec 3, 2012
    Zombie U takes a good concept but unfortunately doesn't do the best job of capitalizing on it. The game is very much a survival horror game with ammo and supplies scarce. The coolest part to me is that when your survivor dies you start off as a new one and you can actually run into the zombie version of the deceased survivor. You can also run into other zombies from other people's games if your Wii U is hooked up to the internet. The game pad control works fairly well in terms of managing your inventory as well as using a radar on it to detect zombies. The game just gets choppy and the missions are often bland. The graphics could also be a lot better and combat isn't as smooth as other zombie games like Left 4 Dead. In the end the game is a solid game but could have been a lot better. It's enjoyable especially if you enjoy survival horror but I would say wait for the price to come down. Expand
  25. Dec 30, 2012
    ZombiU is getting such a wide range of reviews because there are a lot of people expecting something from it that the game itself is not. This is pure and simple a survivor horror game more in line with the first Resident Evils on the Original Playstation. If you are looking for an FPS then turn away now because Zombiu is not an FPS. You are not going to run around completely demolishing everything in your path. This game is great! This game is intense and has you really scrambling to survive. You can not afford to underestimate any threat. There have been times where I barely survive a Zombie mob just to be brought down by a single Zombie later. Having to kill your former zombified self is an amazing concept as well and works wonderfully. This game is top notch and delivers on what it promises. You may die a few times getting use to the controls but once you do get use to them surviving becomes that much easier. The graphics are not as amazing as I would like but they do not take away from the experience either. Don't pass this game up if you are looking for a survival horror that will keep you on your toes! This game is worth every penny I spent on it. Expand
  26. POE
    Nov 18, 2012
    This game is great. It has the best story so far on a wii u game, and awesome use of the control pad. The grafics are it´s low point, maybe with more time Ubisoft could have done a better job on this aspect.
  27. Nov 20, 2012
    You are either going to be in the eurogamer (9.2) camp, or the gamespot (4.5) camp. It is that simple, and there is no middle. People expecting left 4 dead U or dead island U should stay away, this is a true survival horror game, like the early Resident Evils and Silent Hills. It has a great, creepy atmosphere, and it nails the gamepad usage, with a real scavenging scenario. However, i would have liked to see better graphics, a more coherent plot, and more interesting varieties of zombies. Expand
  28. Jan 1, 2013
    My adventure was finished around 6 hours by a game killer bug at brick-lane market door-code. That tower of London helicopter just keeps hovering there although I have already completed that area.
  29. Gar
    Jan 1, 2013
    Looking at gameplay videos/reviews I could tell that ZombiU is not a good game, but still got it since I was desperate for christmas present ideas. I was right about the game being rather poorly made. Now those crazy people that compare ZombiU with the "master piece" that Dark Souls is, should be quite embarrased. A car broken in half and an F1 car are both difficult to handle, BUT only one is hard because its good.

Dark Souls had great varied combat with some actual tactics and enemies that were fair if you knew what you were up againts. ZombiU on the otherhand relies on zombies spawning from nowhere (monster closets are considered out of nowhere), poor unresposive controls and a ridiculously narrow field of view. A game with good mechanics like Dark Souls can be challenging even if you are going 1 vs 1 againts an enemy. ZombiU on the other hand relies on "surprising" you with enemy encounters which shoudlnt happen and at least in the beginning, making those encounters "hard" by explaining the controls too late. The scanner funcionality is also pretty atrocious. Why on earth would I want to almost turn around in my seat to scan my enviroment? Looting corpses and dragging stuff on the touchscreen isnt thad bad, except when you just want to close the menu on an empty corpse and wind up having to move your hand instead of just pressing a button. More of an annoyance really.

If you want a good zombie game/expirience, get Dead Island instead.
    If you want good combat mechanics in a hard game, get Dark Souls instead.

The game is also very buggy. I've had my menu item to open my backpack disapper completely for half an hour, now I'm expiriencing a game breaking but that is preventing me from completing the game. After 6 hours of gameplay, my game is giving me 2 objectives (the one I completed last time) and a new one. However I cannot complete my next objective since the my scanner refuses to scan a code for a keypad I have to get open. Before purchasing the game, I recommend visiting the official forum to see if "game breaking bug" is still a the most common name for thread...
  30. Nov 19, 2012
    Along with resident evil revelations I would concider this one of the only true survival horror games to still exist in this modern day of casual games and faceroll uninteresting ideas. This game is tough, infact IGN gave the game a bad review just because of how terrible the reviewer playing was, this game is scary at times and the atmosphere is amazing! Play this game in the dark!
  31. Nov 29, 2012
    What an incredible game. This game will be divisive among gamers and reviewers - but know this: If you want to play a game where you load up on all kinds of weapons and take out zombies like ducks in a shooting gallery - this is NOT your game. If you want to play a game with edge of your seat atmosphere and "DEAD GOD I HOPE I HAVE ONE MORE BULLET LEFT" suspense where YOU WILL DIE, this is the game you need. What a refreshing game - what a great game by Ubisoft. Expand
  32. Dec 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An excellent breath of life to survival horror. The hard core aspect of your character actually dying adds to it. Even if you're about to die from a bite the game will auto save so quickly that you won't be able to quit out before it's done. Don't fight it since that's probably what's caused people to have problems with the save functions. If you're dead you're dead and there isn't anything you can do about it. The Story is solid. However, there seems parts of it that should have been expanded on. Angles are frequently referenced in reference to Dee, but you never see one. The Opening credits claim the "alchemy of wealth from air" is the cause of the plague, but that's never explained. One character blames Science and Doctors, but if the plague were engineered why were their plague victims in Dee's day before genetically engineered viruses. At another point the game references "Vultures" have raided the "Ravens" safe houses. I thought that meant that I was going to encounter The Ravens Antithesis, but it never expands on that point ether. It never fully addresses the question of "Why is the Plague Happening?". In part, that makes this seem more real since you're player is just a random civilian, but it does leave you wanting more. Hopefully their is a Prequel and Sequel to explain and expand.

The Multiplayer is also unique. The only setting I like is CTF. The other settings are just a play until the person playing as zombies kills the survivor. I like CTF because I have a goal as the survivor, and the other settings are lacking in a clear goal other than play-till-you're-dead. The Irony is that in the Single player there is an arena mission that is just like the multiplayer. The goal for the Survivor in that is to survive and escape with your life. That would have been great to have in the multiplayer rather than just kill zombies till you're dead.

It would also have been interesting if they had worked in some form of Anti-Coop play. It would be nice to play though a second time, but with someone spawning the zombies trying to kill me. That way the predictability goes out the window, but it wouldn't be good to have available for the first run though so I can see why it wasn't done.

The multiplayer requires the Pro Controller. It will let the survivor play with the Wiimote and Nunchuck, but it's LITERALLY painful looking around with the Wii Mote. Really it did hurt my arm playing with the wiimote in first person for any length of time. It's just too heavy in one hand to be waving around fighting in First Person. With the pro controller my Wife and I were able to crank the Zombie difficulty up and I was able to play much better than I was with the difficulty way down with the Wiimote.

The game was fully worth buying at full price, and is one of the 3 must have games for the WiiU right now.
  33. Jan 13, 2013
    Zombiu is a great survival horror, better than the new Resident evil style. This is a terrorific game with an interesting way, great atmosfear and beautiful graphics. I love this game, this is a fantastic surprise for survival horror fans.
  34. Nov 26, 2012
    I think people's main reason for not liking this game is that it's too hard. If you a enjoy challenging game, and smashing zombies with a cricket bat. This game is for you. Creates a real sense of tension as is always exciting
  35. Nov 21, 2012
    A great game. Difficulty is a little high, but it's supposed to be for survival games like this. The lack of ammo, the paranoia, and hesitancy of opening the next door.. because your radar tells you there are at least 4 zombies on the other side.. Will you use your limited ammo? No.. you should try using the melee weapon.. the cricket bat.. You have to lure them into a 1/1 fight.. any more than that, you can't handle.. That is ZombiU, decisions.. plans, how to survive, and how to conserve. It is hard, it is unforgiving. It doesn't deserve a 10, nor does it deserve the 0-5/10 scores many reviewers give. Metacritic is a joke of a review site. I feel sorry for people who's jobs depend on doing well on reviews.. only to have them take a dump all over them because it was too hard, and a lack of ammo.. If you have a WiiU and are interested in ZombiU, do yourself favor and go buy it. It's worth it. It's fun, it's a little terrifying. It's a great game. Expand
  36. Jan 25, 2013
    A great idea but very dissapointing. ZombiU amazing captures what we all love about survival horror. You always feel a bit on edge. In my eyes this is what newer Resident Evil's SHOULD have been like. But the game is falls short with repatitive combat and difficulty to the point of just being annoying to some. But it really does show what the gamepad can do and I'd love to see a sequel with little more polish. Expand
  37. Dec 8, 2012
    I don't care what nobody says bad about this game. This game is so underrated that is crazy. Best survival horror game I ever played. And I'm a resident evil fan for life. But this here showed me something different and a new direction. I'm honestly very impressed. I look at reviews for everything before I buy. And I saw the reviews for this game and said "oh well, i guess ill save my money for something else" but on the mii verse community I kept reading post of how good this game is, so I bought it. And I swear to you that I can't disagree with them. I'm even looking for flaws on the game because at this point I'm wondering what exactly is it that ign.com saw wrong with this game. Overall I see it as a 9.2 type game. Is scary, it makes you feel like death is everywhere. And the atmosphere is so real. The zombies act very real to. Is like a movie. And even the graphics I think are excellent. Not my pc type graphics but definitely better and cleaner then my ps3 or Xbox games. Try this game or rent it. Is worth it. This is a review from an older gamer. So don't think I'm a little 12 year old that gets scared easy lol. This game is really well done. Thanks :) Expand
  38. Dec 15, 2013
    I'm a little late to this party, ZombiU released a year ago, but in the very limited world of the Wii-U titles, its still a good option. The game features grainy graphics (ala Silent Hill) and complex controls that will drive you insane the first hour or so that you try to play. When I first loaded the game up, I said WTF?? these controls suck, but you will adjust eventually. The difficulty is brutal, you will die, and when you do you will play as a different survivor and your first task is finding your old character, who is now a zombie and killing him to loot your supplies back (original idea, gets old later on in the game). The story is absurd, but that survival horror feeling is strong and the game is very creepy. There is no run and gun (ala COD zombie modes) and there isn't much action (ala resident Evil). You must conserve your ammo, use melee attacks often and run for dear life. There really isn't another game on the market like ZombiU so there's nothing to compare it to. A close comparison might be a combination of the games "I am Alive" and "Amy", but much better than either of those two. For me, this was one the first games I picked up after purchasing a Wii-U, I'm too old for Super Mario part 6000 or another clusterphuked rehash of Zelda. I like Adult games and ZombiU, despite its flaws is very adult. My low score is reflective of the poorly designed controls. Expand
  39. Dec 19, 2012
    i love this game its scary and die with one bite one life etc weapons kool game mission and zombies are good

why i did not give it 10 is because ending of it was lame stupid and of course give gamer a middle finger. At ending of the game ithe nothing zombies then you get on the helicopter ur hand and another hand pulling u away then u fly away then straight at menu
    screen...............................

trust me the no need for spoilers cause the is not
  40. Apr 21, 2014
    I don't understand how this game is so underrated. It's the return of the classic horror games. I haven't played something this scary since the first Silent Hill titles. It's a very good game considering that it is a launch title. The atmosphere is very well done, it has one of the best GamePad uses yet and even tough it doesn't have online multiplayer, you can find your friends in the game if the have played it and interact with them in some way ;). It's a fantastical game. Short but from my point of view a very good experience. If you have a Wii U and you haven't played it yet, I don't know what are you waiting for. You can find it now anywhere for less than 10€. Expand
  41. Nov 29, 2012
    My favorite game in a looong time. If you love survival horror than you wil love this. This game is brutal, unforgiving, and extremely tense. Not for those looking for a run and gun or casual experience. There are some minor issues such as zombies partially clipping into walls, however the tense atmosphere and excellent use of the new Wii U gamepad more than make up for any shortcoming. For sure a 9/10 for any survival horror fun. Expand
  42. Dec 7, 2012
    This game is very much like the original resident evil. You cant save at any time. And you cant even go back to earlier saves . If you die, you cant just reload a save and try again.( you become a zombie ) You then pick up at the safehouse as a new survivor.Then have to go kill yourself and get your stuff back. think many people just are'nt used to this type of game. But most of the mechanics work very well. Some people are complaining about different aspects of the game they simply just dont understand. I.E. losing mission items. If you die with a mission item on you, you must go back and find it. it may not be on your "zombie" self. it may be on the floor around there. The game requires a little thought, and is not just running around blowing apart zombies with infinite ammo and health. The game is scary, and draws you back to play it. But there were some long portions where i found no way to save. So you must be prepared to play when you turn it on. The wii u has an auto power off , so if you want to pause the game for breaks because of its save mechanics. Disable this. Expand
  43. Nov 21, 2012
    I dont know why this game got such a low rating. Dont get me wrong the textures arent as good as they should be, but besides for that this game is intense and extremely fun. This game to me, is an 8. The gameplay is solid and the use of the controller is perfect. While i do wish you used other melee weapons mainly besides the cricket stick, its all good because its really fun and intense trying to kill a zombie. Ive jumped out of my seat so many times from this game, the challenge is great. This is a great game and I urge everybody to try it that owns a Wii U because this game is solid and the critic reviews dont reflect what it really should be. 8/10. Expand
  44. Nov 22, 2012
    AVOID WEBSITE KOTAKU.com they bash Everything nintendo and this guy named owen that does game reviews has a problem with nintendo , this game is great 100%
  45. Dec 14, 2012
    Juego increible, tremendamente adictivo y que es capaz de crearte una auténtica sensación de inseguridad en todo momento. Altamente recomendable para los amantes del survival horror y poco para los que lo único que busquen sea un shooter.
  46. Dec 3, 2012
    Simply put, this game is kack your pants scary. I never thought id care much for another survival horror game again, but then this little gem came along. It is quite possibly the darkest game i have ever played, to which very much works in its advantage. Zombies are a menacing force that if you are taking on more than one you really have to think on your feet of how you are going to go about it. The sonar "alien"-esque motion tracker is a stroke of genius, as you can never be sure as to whether you are dealing with a face muncher aound that corner, or whether a little rat is about to give you the jumping fright of your life. The audio as well, my god the audio. Its only a little touch, bur hearing your character panick and sob a little bit when you are in a dire situation and fending off Zombies is a disturbing touch and the fact that if you die, that character is dead and gone are all your goods makes every encounter as tense as the last.
    Basically... get this game!
  47. Nov 18, 2012
    I see no reason to criticize this game for being exactly what it was advertised and hyped up to be. You get a survival horror that pushes you to the limits, but hey, that's what you do when you survive. You get pushed to the limits to survive. The graphics are pretty unique. Nothing impressive, but unique nonetheless. Gameplay great. If you don't like to be limited and like to have the upper hand constantly, this game isn't for you. Expand
  48. Dec 11, 2012
    Ok, before we get started lets just get this out in the open, this game has guns and it's in first person. That being said, this game is not a FPS (first person shooter). I will be reviewing it as a survival horror game because that is what it is.

When you start off you are put in a world where you have very little control of whats happening. The world has fallen apart and zombies walk
    the streets looking for someone to eat. As it so happens you seem to be one of the very few that are still living. Game Play: Using the game pad is the predominate way to play ZombiU. The touch screen handles most of you inventory and scanning. You are constantly looking back and forth between your TV to make sure that you are not in any danger of being eaten while checking if you have enough ammo or when healing. It creates a sense of real danger and fear. To defend yourself you have been given a cricket bat that constantly makes you re-think your methods. Once you get **** with it and miss swing on a single Zombie you are quickly scrabbling to make space for another try to defend yourself. Guns fire and handle as you would expect and so do explosives. Getting killed is part of the game, after being killed you come back as a new survivor and have to kill the previous survivor to get your old gear back. Be warned that newly turned zombies are a pain in the ass to kill. Story: It's the end of the world and the story is kind of bare bones. The real story is your survival, the experiences you have and the things you have to do is the story here. Art direction:

This game fits it's theme, for a launch title I didn't expect anything to advanced.Most launch titles don't take full advantage of new systems. It looks good where it needs to. Sound: It's scary, the zombies sound like they should and the guns sound like they should. Not much to say.

Overall: I give this game a 8 because it's a good survival game. Some say that this is the road that Resident Evil should have gone. I say give it a rent at least because these types of games can beat up gamers with swaying difficulties. Just keep going and enjoy the experience.
  49. Dec 3, 2012
    This game is Terrifyingly AWESOME. Seriously. I haven't had this good a time getting put in straight up horrific moments in a long time. This game PUTS YOU in the world of zombie-London and does wonders for making an immersive, horrifying experience. I played it all weekend in a pitch black house and I recommend you do the same.
  50. Nov 22, 2012
    This game is amazing, a real survival horror, I think the only reason why people is **** about the game and giving bad rates is because is not on 360/PS3 or because they thought it was going to be like shoot like crazy and run like in Resident Evil 6 or Left4dead
  51. May 15, 2013
    This is a very fun and atmospheric game. The gamepad integration is really cool. This is a 15 hour game with pretty good visuals and good sound. You will experience a lot of frame drops but its not terrible.
  52. Sep 19, 2014
    Quality, quality, quality game. Truly unique and innovative. Genuinely scary. This is a must-have game on the Wii U. There are no other games like it on any platform.

It's not a run-and-gun zombie shooting game, like basically every other zombie game, but a real survival game. You rarely use guns, ammo is severely limited. Your main weapon is a cricket bat. It's more about wondering if
    there is a zombie around the corner... or worse, more than 1 (you rarely survive encounters with 3 or more zombies). The lighting is fantastic as you can see almost nothing, so have to use your gamepad (which acts as a scanner) to see some rooms. This all adds to the creepyness of the game.

It can get incredibly creepy if you play in the dark, especially at the times when you have to look at the gamepad (e.g., for hunting around in the backpack or lockpicking) and then you look up to see a zombie staring at you in the face.

And, just now, I had a situation where someone else playing their game affected mine - my character died, so my new character had to go and retrieve their backpack from the (now zombiefied old character).... Only thing is, by the time I got there, some other player killed them first and took everything! All my guns, medpacs, grenades, etc. These are NOT easy to find, and I had them for 10 hours of the game up until that point! That means I am now far in the game, but have almost no items, thus making it 10x harder. I've never seen this in a game before, and is very cool. It means you really do not want to die, as you could lose everything.

The only issue I have had with this game are the loading screens (which aren't Lego City Undercover terrible).

Honestly, though, this is a very underrated game. I don't even like zombie games, but this is great. You will not be disappointed. What a great game!
  53. Nov 26, 2012
    Considering the recent turn of RE6, I think its a decent trade off to satisfy those who are in lack of a good zombie survival horror this year. With clever use of the WiiU controller screen, an ever expanding world and
    challenge; its all worth it.

But if you are expecting some stand-alone zombie mode CoD I'll stop you right there, because it plays nothing like it. Them Negative reviews
    we're probably expecting a game like that. But if you are familiar with Dead Island/Resident evil, you'll feel comfortable with how the game flows Expand
  54. Nov 18, 2012
    ZombiU's easily the best Mature rated game at launch, however, is it flawless? No, it is not. ZombiU offers a tense and atmospheric journey through a dark and desolate world. While it's light on narrative, its gameplay offers more satisfying depth than your typical zombie romp. Not without its flaws, ZombiU has a large amount of clipping, where zombies will glitch right through walls. Yes, it's an annoyance that takes you out of the experience a little, but does it hurt the game's overall enjoyment? Not one bit. The gun mechanics aren't like Call of Duty. I'd say they're a little more clunky in the vein of Metro 2033, but it doesn't hurt in this style of game, as it actually adds to the difficulty. This is a neat world to explore. I especially love how zombies will follow you to a door, you shut the door, then they'll stand on the other side pounding, which means you'll have to take care of them at some point and they're not letting you through to the either side without putting up a fight. So while ZombiU has its apparent flaws, this game's satisfaction is simply too difficult to deny. Expand
  55. Nov 18, 2012
    oh my god this is my first wii u game and its so good the graphics looks great and the sound effects so impressive i recommended this game for any wii u owner
  56. Dec 5, 2012
    I wrote this review due to the alarming amount of reviews to the tune of - "The graphics are bad, the animations are bad, the combat is dull and repetitive" - Yes the "graphics" are not HD, the animation is mostly simple, the combat is a little dull, but the focus in this game is not on combat. The focus is on the atmosphere, anticipation, and fear. If other shooters are flashy magazines, Zombie U is classical literature. if you want a call of duty, twitch-shooter, sit around with your bros, "wow that was cool", hold your hand linear action shooter, then ZombiU is just not for U. Now if you let yourself be immersed into this world you will find the most organic SURVIVAL horror game in a LONG time. I almost let myself be turned off by the reviews. it wasnt until I actually played it that I realized just how misunderstood this game is. if you have never payed a REAL survival horror game, or been truly scared by a game. do yourself a favor, open yourself up to a NEW experience and get this game. it will leave you fearful of whats around that next corner, yet eager to delve back into its nerve rattling clutches. Expand
  57. Nov 24, 2012
    Yes a 10, you know why? Because it is different from any zombie game, it actually makes you feel like a survivor, something that DayZ itself couldn't make it 100% right... People giving scores below 7 are just sick of zombie games, I get it, I am too, or at least I was, this game is the only reason i could find to get WiiU this early. The way they simulate the apocalypse is perfect, if you die you get to pick another character that was around the area, and get to kill your past-zombie-self, loot and continue surviving... It lacks in zombies just to give the tense atmosphere, making you wandering what happens next... The chances of getting bitten are HUGE and you actually get infected (just like the Half-Life 2 mod, No More Room in Hell) as I said, hen you kill your zombie character once you pick another survivor. Expand
  58. Dec 19, 2012
    Ok.. People mark this game ten for a reason.. We are not professional reviewers like ign and companies of that ilk.. Although I wonder if their opinions mount to a hill of beans to begin with..
    So I give zombiu a 10 for these reasons..
    The graphics I think personally are very good.. No doubt the pending sequel will get a massive overhaul.. For a wii u launch title.. Still in its baby
    phase, the coders did a tremendous job.. Very gritty and dirty.. Zombies look amazing and the background setting of London is pretty cool and authentic to a point.. (Where are the buskers and tramps) in the underground? Or the stupid oyster top up points haha..

The sound.. Makes this game very tense.. From the beeping of the radar indicating danger is a Foot!!! Is it a bird? A rat? Worse still a crazed infected super tramp zombie? The hissing and ambient sounds ate top notch and send shivers down my spine.. Play it at night in the dark and crank the sound up!!! Trust me.

This is the first title I've played that really compliments the gamepad... Perfect!! Controls feel boaty at fist, give it an hour or so and it's all second nature and you can see why this game will only ever work on the wii u..
    Well unless Sony get there act together and use the ps vita properly and mimic the wii u set up that would be very cool..
    Sorry side tracked.. The controls are Stella..

Level design is pretty much fantastic, a little to much back tracking for my tastes, but n all honesty this is the game that has not left my wii u.. Even black ops 2 does not get as much play time..

This is the zombie survival game I've been waiting for other then (the war z) on pc... Huge sensation of helplessness, very hard campaign (you will die!) claustrophobic in places all adds up to a amazing atmosphere, totally astonishing and I can't get enough of this game right now.. This will be an amazing franchise for ubisoft..
    The developers deserve a larger budget next time around and hopefully create online co-op or death matches... The multiplayer (king of zombies) whatever it's called is actually pretty cool.. One player using the tv and classical controller pro must fend off and capture flags, whilst at the same time worry about their mate who is using the gamepad and its touch screen to strategically place an assortment of zombies all over your map essentially preventing you from capturing flags!! Rounds are best out of 5.. You get loads more guns and ammo making it more of a call of duty experience fps whilst your mate gradually upgrades his selection of zombies from your run of the mill bottom feeders to spitting or exploding/armour clad super enhanced zombies!! It's awesome and the best game I have played on Any console for quite a while..

Get this game if you can only afford to make one purchase this year!! Trust me
  59. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is NOT easy. Zombies do not go down quickly. The ones you meet later on are rough. To be honest the only reason why I gave it a low review is because I didn't like it on the WiiU. I didn't like how the gamepad removed me from the action onscreen. It very much removed the sense of immersion that the game works to build. But as far as zombie games go, it's fairly difficult, creepy and there's a fair amount of intensity in some parts of the game. It's not terrible though. I'm just not drinking the koolaid when it comes to a 2 screen experience. Expand
  60. Dec 28, 2012
    Great game! One of the few that really scares you and feels like true survival horror. If you like games like Resident Evil (the original), Silent Hill, Condemned, etc. that are actually frightening then pick this one up. It keeps the tension high at all times and makes you feel truly alone in a zombie outbreak. The game pad is used well during game play, and if you encounter more than 1 zombie at any time it's very difficult, you have to use strategy and sometimes run for safety! Dark atmosphere and very tense game play, I highly recommend! Expand
  61. Nov 21, 2012
    Incredible. Those who trash this game clearly don't know what type of game they're playing. This is not a twitch shooter, it's a survival horror game. Yes, a genre that's just about dead finally has a new AAA game. This is not a game where you just run around holding the trigger and you win, this is a game that actually takes SKILL. Learning how to conserve ammunition is very important. the game makes great use of the Wii U gamepad, and it really showcases a lot of amazing things it can do. Highly recommended. Expand
  62. Nov 19, 2012
    Nintendo want to do things a bit different & ZombiU manages that in spades. Ubisoft manage to muster up an engaging & often challenging game from a well trodden path. Good use of the touch pad & in my opinion excellent moody atmosphere created by subtle graphical use of the processors. This is a title that will no doubt be bettered by ZombiU2 but is still a very good original title for a new system. Expand
  63. Nov 21, 2012
    Completely unique. Take Atlus from Bioshock telling you what you need to do, Dead Island type zombie combat, Left 4 Dead type graphics, Dark Souls type difficulty, and an English setting. You get very little ammo and a flashlight. And your main weapon is a cricket bat. Huh?
    But it works....for the most part. First the graphics are passable. Nothing special but I suppose it has a look.
    Problem is it is the same look over and over again. Music is up to par as is the sound effects. Control is good except for the gun play but for a survivor game it is a work of freaking art. And yes. This game is actually scary.
    The story? Well.....You start off as a random person. When you die you die for good. Then you become another random person. However you can go and collect everything that your corpse left behind. It is a cool concept. Once you die that corpse supposed to become part of the game. The thing about the story is I really got over it kind of quick. Mainly because I spent half the time kind of worried about my surroundings. Is that a good thing? I think so. You have a guy called the Prepper who is trying to lead you the way. Pretty sure there is something up with that. My average playtime has only been about 20 minutes or so so maybe the story picks up later.
    The Wii Pad is an important tool as well and this game more than any other game at launch works great and is almost a necessity. It holds all of your weapons, sonar ability to see through walls when looking for zombies, hold your health, and stats. But looking at it can get you in trouble. Why? No pause button in the game. The game wants you to feel uneasy and it does a really great job. Another thing about it? It is violent. Still feels strange playing a Nintendo system with this kind of launch title. Another pretty cool feature is online play. You can leave people messages on the walls. But you cannot play co-op or together. You basically just bump into their zombie after they have passed. But being able to leave messages on the walls are a pretty unique feature I hope to see in future games.
    I think this game has got a bad rap. I think people are expecting a Left 4 Dead or a FPS. That is not what this game is. It is a survivor game.. Playing it gun ho is gonna get you killed. Not conserving ammo as big of a pain as it is to use guns will get you killed. But you have to take chances and keep moving. The game does what it was meant to do. Make the player uncomfortable and does something unique. Once you get passed the control and get used to dying the charm comes out. I do think the game could of used another 3-6 months to flesh out more ideas and maybe another month to fix some glitches and slowdown (I noticed slowdown more than I wanted) but at the same time I realize they had to make the launch date. Hopefully we get a patch. Props to Ubisoft for again having something different during a Nintendo launch. But unlike Red Steel which was completely awful. This could be the start of a trilogy. Good game that could of been great.
  64. Nov 18, 2012
    This was one of nintendos main launch games and wanted this game to sell the Wii U, well Nintendo have achieved that ZombiU works great on the amazing gamepad and has a really adventures twang to the game this is the best game I've ever played you guys have got to get it!
  65. Nov 18, 2012
    I'm shocked by the reviews this game has got, 4.5, 5.5, Just because it;s not a typical action shooting gallery does not mean it is rubbish, Zombiu is great, You just need to get used to it.
  66. Nov 18, 2012
    This game does an amazing use of the gamepad and has the potential to bring back the core of the horror games. With time, zombies got overused and couldn't keep their true meaning, of scaring people. ZombiU may not have the most awesome graphics, but if you care that much about it, you're not a hardcore gamer, that will try to beat a game where you don't have that "autosave" every 5 seconds and will have to really give a good effort to make it through. Expand
  67. Nov 18, 2012
    How in the world this game got a few bad reveiws I will never know!!! The game is fantastic its not like every other zombie game on the market thank goodness!!!!! It stands alone, a truly fun and unique gaming experience!!! Dont let a few false reveiws ruin a truly extraordinary gaining experience for YOU!!!!!!! think for yourself don't let others decide for you!!! if you want a great game its here waiiting 4 you!!!!!! Expand
  68. Nov 18, 2012
    Essentially, the game is really fun, challenging, and scary. However, those who want something more action oriented, go somewhere else.

This is a SURVIVAL HORROR title. And it does that very well in my opinion. While the combat can be a bit repetitive, and the visuals aren't as nice to look at as I had hoped, (Hence, I marked it down a little) the game still provides a good time and a
    decent challenge. A few bugs here and there that I'm confident can be ironed out (and those gameplay issues that can't) are all I see wrong with the game. Add a compelling multiplayer experience to enjoy with friends and you have a very fun game for the Wii U launch, though it isn't for everyone. Expand
  69. Nov 18, 2012
    After waiting in line at walmart for 6 hours to pick up the wii u on release, this was my first game purchase. I eagerly rushed up to set up the new console and fire up this game. I only played about an hour into the game so please keep that in mind when considering my review. The game looks gorgeous!! It looks like a next generation title. The atmosphere is extremely creepy to the point where it was scary playing late at night by myself. My initial impression was the wii u gamepad felt a little awkward to use at first but it achieves a new feeling in gaming. I wanted to put this out there because I read some really bad reviews and I don't really agree with them. It is definitely not a game for children as you smash the heads in of zombie corpses. The game makes really good use of the wii u game pad and the sonar tool will drive you crazy when you see targets and realize they are only rats running around. I thought a group of zombies was rushing up the hall and it turned out to be some rats. The game did make the hair on my neck stand a few times. I cant wait till my kids go to bed to play some more tonight. Expand
  70. Nov 18, 2012
    I am seeing quite a few trolls trying to bash this game when they probably haven't even played it, but that isn't all of the negative reviews. Reviews like IGNs were geared towards reviewing it as an action title, which it is not. This is a pure survival horror title and is by no means ugly, if you enjoy the tension of running and hiding like you would in real life you will enjoy this. If you like to be an invincible action star that is immune running and gunning through a zombie horde this game is not for you and you should move along. I am thoroughly enjoying it and am headed back to play it right now. Expand
  71. Nov 18, 2012
    4.5? 6.3? WHAT? This game is great, it accomplishes exactly what it set out to. To be a survival horror game. If you don't like Survival Horror, then steer clear. If you do, then ZombiU is a no-BRAIN-er. The only gripe I have with the game, and it's a minor one. Is that alot of the textures are pretty low-res.
  72. Nov 18, 2012
    I'm enjoying all the bull$hit reviews from people who clearly don't have wii U systems let alone have Zombie U to play. Stop the foolish regurgitation of review sites comments without actually playing it. The Game is great, and haters gonna hate. nuff said
  73. Nov 18, 2012
    honestly I don't know why this game got those weak reviews, almost did not get this game. I am glad I did not listen to them. this game is not perfect but I love the tension. I hope they improve on a lot of the elements introduced in this game in zombie u 2.
  74. Nov 19, 2012
    Expected a survival horror game and got survival horror game.
    One of the best and most original Launchgames in this century. Its not a blunder like Resident Evil 6 focusing on Action and cutscenes .
    Its not a Left 4 Dead where hundreds of Zombies attack you and you have more Ammo than the American Army.
    Is an real oldschool game where your sources are limited.
  75. Nov 19, 2012
    One of the better Launchgames for The Wii U.
    Scary as ****
    Harder than steel, more addictive than Meth. Its more Survival than watching bear grylls eating centipedes.
    Enjoy ing the game so far and glad that i bought it.
  76. Nov 19, 2012
    I was suspicious against the Wii Pad and ZombiU.
    I thought it would end like an not usefull gimmick but holy **** the Gamepad is realy adding immersion to the gameplay.
    Searching for items on the Pad as fast as possible and looking with fear on the televions for Zombies is just great.
    The gameplay is great and the graphics ( for a luanch title supporting native FullHd) impressive.

Sound effects are good the only thing negative are the loadingtimes and backtracing.
  77. Nov 19, 2012
    You like hard games?
    You like unforgettable games?
    You like games that will haunt you in your dreams?
    ZombiU is one of this games. Brutally hard, it will not forget one mistake you do.
  78. Nov 19, 2012
    Do not be fooled by the 1st person view, the guns and the zombis - this is *not* a shooter. It is a tactical survival horror. Slow paced, dark, difficult and unforgiving. That pretty much sold it to me right away - no hand holding, not instant re-spawns. Its nice to play a game that makes you work at being good for once! Combat can get a bit stale at times but it doesn't really detract from the overall survival-horror aspect.

RE: smellymetal (and others) who complain that "My gosh these people who like the game have new accounts, clearly this means they are fake!" - Yeah, I'm sure this happens, check out some of those zero score "reviews" if you want some examples. I enjoyed playing it, I enjoyed it enough to give it a 9. However I doubt very much if the people giving it zero are being remotely objective, do you? However 5 critic reviews give it 8 or 9 out of 10, why is my liking it so unrealistic?
  79. Jan 20, 2013
    ZombiU won't be for everyone, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It is pure survival horror, something that I missed within these past few years. I enjoyed every ounce of gameplay of the 15 hours that I poured in. One bite and you're gone, n ifs and or buts about it. If you need to grab something out of your inventory and you have a horde of zombies on you, the game will NOT pause, which in turn is a good thing and makes things tense. The world is set up sort of like "The Darness" or somewhat like "Bioshock". The Safehouse acts like a hub and from there you can either walk to each connected place or fast travel (given that you unlocked a manhole cover in that area) to each location. There will be certainly back traveling for doors you need to go back and unlock, looking for more ammo (yes, ammo is scarce), or looking for other player's zombies for their loot. While the game doesn't have any online multiplayer components, it does allow other people to infect your world, where they previously died and if you kill them, you'll get whatever loot they had in their backpack at that time. You can leave messages for others on virtually any wall or floor, to give people hints, warn them or trick them. Leaderboards are also posted for people's best survival character's score. Your score resets when your survivor dies, which in turn you start a new survivor and you get a chance to go get your loot back from yourself. There is also a "Survival Mode", which basically and bluntly, if you die (even at the end of the game), it's game over, period. Graphics are quite good and I have no complaints with them. Certain glitches may appear with zombie's heads turning kind of oddly, but other than that, the atmosphere is so surreal, that it really gives the impression that this world as we know it, is dead. It'll take you in some pretty unnerving places that will cause you to really take your time and keep watching your back. The sound is pretty outstanding, if not a little low in certain spots. You'll hear people screaming around you in houses, garbage being tipped over, crows, rain and thunder, voices all around you, growls. I did have a few lock ups/freezes (3 in fact) during my play time. One glitch happened when I was sliding through an opening, and it locked up, couldn't do nothing. Two others were pure lockups upon loading a section or in the middle of killing a zombie. In closing, I can recommend this game to any WiiU owner from now and probably until the end of the WiiU's life cycle. It is THAT good. Expand
  80. Nov 19, 2012
    You know why the Metacritic user review sucks? Because people who didnt play the game give 0/10 . So the only possibility to get the score right again is to give a 10/10. The game isnt a 10/10 because there a few problems in ZombiU. Like the Backtracing and the Meleecombat and the Loadingscreens. I can live with this 3 negative points beecause the atmosphere and the difficulty of this game give a huge advantage ov every other self claimed survival game out there.
    Playing Survival Horror for a long time its the first game since Amnesia who really suprises me.
    The setting is new and fresh, the atmosphere is dense and the sound is great.
    Zombies are really dangerous when attacking in groups of 2-6 and the only possibility is to kill them or avaiding them.
    So its a good Launch game for a new console and a good first impression for an new Ip.
    Normally i would give this game a 8/10 but because of the kids who bomb reviews of games they dont like i give a 10/10
  81. Nov 19, 2012
    Buying this and New Super Mario Brothers U for launch ( Nintendoland was already in my premium pack ) and its quite good.
    Running through the devastated London is great and the atmosphere is so dense its awesome.
    The zombies are a real threat for the players and the gameplay is challanging.
    I like survival games so its not a big issue for me that the melee combat is slightly repetitive
    and the backtracing.

So i give this game a 9/10
  82. Nov 19, 2012
    Firstly, I want to say that I created an account just to review this game. I agree with the others, there are a lot of people just posting 10s, 9s, and 0s. Ignore those. This game is definitely in the 5-7 range. I

The main drawbacks the graphics for me, they just aren't that good. After seeing how beautiful AC3 is on this console (which is a port), there is no reason for a ground-up
    WiiU game to look so sub-par. This thought is in the back of my mind every time I play. On a brighter note, I feel they nailed the GamePad usage. A lot of people are complaining about it on the reviewing sites, but its pretty neat to be able to scan stuff with it, have a persistent map, and use your inventory. Mediocre game. Not bad, just mediocre. Expand
  83. Nov 19, 2012
    This game isn't perfect by any stretch but no game I have played is. My thoughts on controls are they don't feel bad at all the only issue I tend to come across is accidentally pushing the wrong button to swing my cricket bat for the kill resulting in me getting bit . I don't find them clunky like other reviewers have said they could be better but they are about what I expected them to be not bad not great. Graphics some people bash the graphics in this game but I really dig them the zombies sometimes look like the same person you already fought but this is a minor complaint in my humble opinion. Sure the characters have elongated faces but that is how people from that area usually look so this doesn't bother me they are not as elongated as the characters from Dishonored. So basically you will see more Bremner look a likes than McGregor any fans of trainspotting will get that reference. My ratings breakdown Gameplay/Controls 7.4 Graphics 8.7 Sound 8.2 Replay Value 7.1 Overall 7.85 solid launch title that has it's moments this is more fun than the original Resident Evil games enjoy it. Expand
  84. Nov 19, 2012
    In a generation that is saturated by action games, Zombie U is getting the cold shoulder. "Ugly graphics, claustrophobic areas, limited ammo, 1 bite your dead" is one of this game main complaints. That would be true if Zombie U was a action game...BUT IT'S NOT. Zombie U is a green mushroom for the survival horror genre that's dying thanks to capcom & ignorant casual gamers. Survival horror games are supposed to be: 1) ugly looking environment, 2) limited ammo (survival, duh), using your brains instead of brawn( your just 1 weakling against many viral enemies. 3) feeling helpless. Melee attack animations can get tiring, but when your desperate trying to get the zombie of your back, you'll forget that. This game delivers for what resident evil 1-4 fans Have been claiming for. I suggest go watch a few playthrough videos & see it for yourself, but NOTE: if your expecting call of duty zombie, you'll be disappointed but sorry to tell you IT'S AN SURVIVAL HORROR GAME not an ACTION GAME Expand
  85. Nov 19, 2012
    Oh my God, there's an entire horde on the other side of this fence. Only 10 bullets left in my pistol? At least I've got two flares. Should've saved a molotov on that last group, though. Equip my flares, a health pack, and open the gate.

5 crows and one zombie. What was I so worried about?

ZombiU is not a great action game, I'll say that up front. However, this is completely
    unimportant to the experience as a whole. ZombiU capitalizes on making the player feel vulnerable; the tension of knowing that death is potentially around every corner. Most of the time the zombies will lunge and scratch at you, but if just one of them can get their jaws on your flesh, BAM. You're infected.

The game design harkens to the early days of survival horror; ammo is hard to find, health is hard to find, and the zombies need a serious beating from your cricket bat before they quiet down. The graphics are nothing mind-blowing, but they do run smoothly and look great. The sound design is one of my favorite parts; the squish and thud of hitting a zombie with a bat, and the thinly spread music which always makes me feel like there are 10 zombies that are coming for me even though I can see both of the ones in the area.

Atmosphere is honestly ZombiU's greatest achievement, and is a refreshing experience for a long-time Survival Horror fan that had nearly given up on console games in the genre.
  86. Nov 19, 2012
    I'm opening with my closing statement: If you want a game that forces you to think about how to handle a situation instead of run and gun, this game is for you. If you don't want a game that challenges your wit and cunning, steer clear. This rogue-like gem is a must have for true survival horror fans.

ZombieU is one of the WiiU's most promising launch titles. A step away from the sea of
    action horror games flooding mainstream gaming, ZombieU brings us back to the old days of Resident Evil-esque survival horror. Ammo conservation and knowing when to sneak rather than confront an enemy is key!

I can imagine some players getting frustrated with the Normal level of difficulty, but I've sorely missed unforgiving games that make you value every ounce of life you have. This is a must have for fans of Dark Souls/Demon Souls and oldschool difficulty.

Two things they could have done better and one thing I was on the fence about:

Include some kind of local multiplayer component. Only one person would be able to manage the pad/inventory/map instructions, but split screen could easily allow you to equip a companion to help you along.

Offer a sandbox mode for both multiplayer and local co-op. London is a huge place and they could easily expand the game into a "last as long as you can" session. They have a survival mode currently, which is brilliant, but I believe it still follows the campaign.

I'm on the fence about how death is done. Sometimes, you die and it's really frustrating. You spawn as a new survivor only to have to back track to your former location, hopefully kill your former self, and carry on. Sometimes your lack of gear snowballs into a bigger problem; if you don't manage to kill your old self you will lose out on that super sweet gun you just looted until you happen to find another one. This can be problematic in situations where the next area is chalk full of zombies and you could have really used that extra firepower. I'm on the fence because I believe this is a necessary punishment for not being more careful the first time around. Ultimately, I would rather have it this way than be handed another super shiny gun immediately.

Regardless, this is a must have title. I just really, really hope the would be sequel doesn't get dumbed down- there's "Chicken" difficulty for that!

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
  87. Nov 19, 2012
    This is an amazing survival game. Allot of critics and lesser-minded folk seem to think repetitive things make a game terrible. Sadly, these folks must not enjoy FPS games, halo, CoD, or assassins creed being that they are all extremely repetitive. Dont miss out on great games like these, and zombiU because of trolls.

This game very closely resembles Dark Souls in just about every way
    (including the backtracking, bonfires = safe rooms, the way combat works etc is very unforgiving. Expand
  88. Nov 19, 2012
    This game has to be one of the best Wii U launch titles. It has great use of the Wii U's gamepad and it reminds me of what Resident Evil used to be (remember the first few titles in the series.) Nothing beats killing zombies and actually being a litte bit frightened. The environments are actually a bit spooky and dark. I gave this game an 8.0 because the graphics are not the best looking for a Wii U game and at times it can be unforgiving. Overall, I say it's a must buy for any Wii U owner and it kicks Resident Evil 6's ass. Expand
  89. Nov 20, 2012
    After playing for close to 10 hours, I am now in love with this game. For someone looking for an action shooter, this is not your game. This is a game of strategy, patience, exploration, and lots of crying.
    My first death was the hardest. Not only did I scream in horror as I tried to pull out a Molotov. I also continued screaming when I spawned in the safehouse and realized my waking
    there had triggered an event. No supplies, I died quickly and screamed again, realizing that all my gear on my first character had just disappeared. While I think this game mechanic works most of the time, (the whole double death equals a disappearing zombie and loss of all items on said zombie), this instance seems an unfair part. If i could have waited to trigger the event, I could have gotten my gear. After the loss, It took me a while to build my gear up. I had to strategize. I had to know when to run and when to kill. I learned the hard way how important the locker is. If your locker has a few flares and molotovs, retrieval of gear is always much more successful.
    My biggest gripe is multiplayer. The zombie king thing is nice, but why no option to play against the computer? I can't always convince the wife to play king for me and playing solo would be nice.  Why no 2 players in the king of the zombies arena? I think a multiplayer patch that supports 2 screens would be amazing.

Another annoying bit is the lack of melee weapon variation and / or upgrading. It seems a simple thing to add. The Crickett bat does get old, and it never gets more powerful. Luckily, after you make it to Buckingham, weapon variety expands on the projectile front.

Another strange bit is the insistance that the touch screen be used. For instance, when scanning, why can't I just use a button, like Y, to analize or hack?  Reaching off the joystick to tap the screen is awkward and arbitrary, as NONE of the other buttons are used during scanning.Yes, they are trying to make use of all the wii u's gadgets, but sometimes a button is still easier, especially when the alternative is just a button on the screen.

Overall, best launch game by far. I can't stop playing it to even touch Mario or cod for more than a few minutes each. The shortcomings are so obvious, it makes me wonder if they were brought up but pushed aside due to ubisofts corporate structure. This is definitely a buy. If you get frustrated with the difficulty level, set it to chicken mode, which is pretty much 'normal' when you compare it to the standard difficulty.
  90. Nov 21, 2012
    Amazing use of the Gamepad, sometimes it's broken, but that's the point. So hard, maybe the hardest I ever played in the last years. Just remember this isn't a normal first person shooter. It's a tactical survival horror. The gameplay it's the best part, maybe this a real survival horror, many zombies made me jump from my chair, specially when I was playing at night. Ubisoft did a great work making this game, because it's really haunted. When you die, you restart with a different character, and the last one you controlled is now chasing you. Great atmosphere. But sometimes is very slow and graphically, is very weak. But that's a good point, too. Just because the zombies look so horrible. A must-have for the Wii U. Expand
  91. Nov 20, 2012
    This really is a very good game. I was skeptical at first because for whatever reason I thought it might be like Red Steel; it's not. The most important thing to know is that this is a survival horror. This is not a run and gun FPS.. The game does an excellent job of creating a very scary and "edge of your seat" experience. It really sucks to die in this game; which is great because it makes you care. The scavenging and survival aspect of this game is what makes it shine. There aren't enough games that actually make you feel like you are in danger and must forage for anything that might be of use. Some zombie games are good even if they are just built around a "run and gun, kill as many as you can" concept, but that ultimately provides for a much shallower experience than what is offered in ZombiU. Sometimes mindlessly killing zombies may be what you want, but if you feel like a change and the idea of a true survival horror zombie game appeals to you, you should buy this game. Expand
  92. Nov 20, 2012
    An amazing survival horror game, however its gameplay is focused like a past gen survival horror, so it is TRULY a survival horror not an action game with zombies (I'm watching at you Re 5 and Re 6). This can discourage some people, but for others, it's great.
  93. Nov 21, 2012
    I am about 7 hours into the game, on my 5th survivor and I have to say how much I am enjoying this game. Its super hard, you will die if you get careless, and the zombies are really great. The only thing I would gripe about are when the event is scripted to add more zombies than there otherwise would be, but it adds to the excitement and gives momentary bursts of action will generally result in my starting a new survivor!

A worthy purchase for anyone who can actually remember what survival horror is.
  94. Nov 22, 2012
    Maybe it's a misunderstanding, maybe times have changed? What ever it is it makes me sad to see that the fruit of Ubisoft's labour has been tarnished by gamers who have not given this game a chance to let it's survival horror elements permeate through them.

It has been mentioned numerous times already in countless reviews that gamers expected an 'action shooter' title or 'CoD' like
    experience. Well, I'm absolutely glad to say that survival horror is back, and no such game mechanics have found their way into this brilliant piece of software.

ZombiU's greatest achievement is by far evoking fear through a fantastic use of atmospheric sound and level design. While elements of the game mechanics may appear to be broken, they do nothing to cripple the gaming experience, and boy, it's been a long time since a game has provided that.

I'm a bit of an old time gamer - right back from the days of the Spectrum ZX, and in all the time I have been playing great titles, this is actually the first time where it's culminated in a true experience of fear. Many games (and movies) have tried, and achieved a few scares, somewhat cheap ones, but ZombiU isn't cheap and it takes that emotion and plants that element right in the centre of the cerebral core.

The game doesn't have state of the art graphics, there are technical flaws, there are even bugs that can stop the game in it's track (Ubisoft, please fix these in a patch) but despite these issues, and that's what they are - ISSUES, there is still something very special here, and any gamer from any platform worth their salt should recognise that. We should celebrate this game, perhaps I personally do more so because I adore the genre, film or game, and I'm very happy it has divided opinion because this will only draw attention to what is undoubtably going to have a cult following.

In a day and age where we're all told what to like, what is good or bad, trust game reviews like the word of god, it's good to see not all consumers are brainless zombies themselves, that they take the punt beyond what a journalist would say and discover the experience for themselves. It pains me to think there will be people who will not give this game the time of day just because they read or watched a video review - and I know full well if only they'd given it a chance they would have discovered something that may have opened up their gaming world just a little bit more.

If I was to review this game I would have marked it an 8.5, but due to some of the backlash from what are obviously fake reviews I'm showing some love and support by giving it a full 10.

In an age of mindless churned out template titles that strangulate the industry, it good to some companies take a risk to set themselves apart, Ubisoft are magnificent French beauties for having the guts to change direction on a project that ultimately resulted in what will be a very successful game changer. And the fact that the grandfather of all gaming companies is with them on the ride makes it all the more sweet. And if anyone from Ubisoft or Nintendo read this, please know, I for one think you should be very proud.

My final thoughts are on the fear of creative risk and pandering to what people think they want. Let me tell you, people (gamers in particular) as a mass are idiots - they don't have a clue what they want to play and it's why everything is stagnating. Like magpies they look at something and say "I want that!" pointing, grasping - and what they get over and over is diluted with every passing. They think they want it, because they enjoyed it the first time, when it was new. Then every experience feels old, been there and done that - the only way to progress is by making it look better or flashier, pump in production values. The hook isn't that, it's fresh ideas, and without them the industry will flounder. This is why it's important to take risks and it's also why Nintendo for me puts it's ethos at heart with a business sense - rather than milk a cash cow.

What I'm trying to iterate here is ZombiU is a very important title in driving the industry forward, and although it's not perfect, it's certainly very good despite the flaws. And that my dear gamers is a testament to the creatives behind this game.
  95. Nov 23, 2012
    This is a survival game with an extra hard difficulty level. If you are not good at surviving in games, chances are you will not like this game. However, if you enjoy the challenge of surviving insurmountable odds where one mistake can end your entire game...this is the game for you. decent graphics, excellent lighting. Probably the best game I've played this year. people that suck at gaming will more than likely hate this game. Expand
  96. Nov 23, 2012
    I'm just going to say it... Hands down the BEST SURVIVAL HORROR I'VE EVER PLAYED!I had pre-ordered ZombiU after seeing gameplay footage and demos, Needless to say, I was litle put off by the initial reviews it was receiving, It was too late, I had already purchased the game.

I finally got a chance to sit down with ZombiU last night and was floored by how personal it feels. I'm a horror
    movie fan, an english speaking one, but I've turned to Foreign horror to receive my thrills, as it seems that Hollywood lacks any kind of imagination. I've found that Foreign movies have retained the creepy atmospheric tension that there hollywood counterparts have traded for T 'n A long ago. This is exactly what Ubisoft has Done with ZombiU. I fondly remember what I consider as the scariest moment in video games for me As the part in RE:1 where you're strolling down the halls and out of nowhere "SMASH" beast dogs come flying through the window. I was 11 or 12 years old when that game was released and that feeling has remained with me until last nights session of ZombiU. If you were interested in this game but put off by the negatives reviews, you need to reconsider.

The only negative comments I can make about this game are as follows: 1) Nothing but a cricket bat for melee
    2) inability to pick up whatevr you want and bash a zombies face in.

If you like tense/freaky or just generally being creeped out, pick this up, turn off the lights smoke something fun and play.
  97. Nov 25, 2012
    A return to Survival Horror and it seems that certain sites found fit to give it a negative review for being an actual survival horror game rather than another action shooter. Great atmosphere, nice use of the controller, real danger and challenge presented to the player. More of this and less of what the RE series has become please.
  98. Nov 26, 2012
    This game blows my mind with how good it is. I played this back and forth with my girlfriend for hours just elated with how much fun we were both having. The zombies are tough and take rational thought to defeat rather than shoot-em-up style mechanics. The game often rewards patience. 90% of the widgets that the controller utilizes to enhance the game feel engaging and useful. However, I found the removal of barricades to be lazy and not well thought out. They could have done better on that one. But seriously, if that is the ONLY gripe I can muster after hours of game play... all that I can say is, try it for yourself. I know you will find this as pleasing an experience as I did. Expand
  99. Nov 26, 2012
    Damn that was really unique, probably due to the use of the new nintendo tablet, but quite the perfect use. A one in a videogamer's life experience (and those are quite rare nowadays). Are you gamer ? ... Well then don't miss it !
  100. Dec 2, 2012
    Worst game ever, belongs in 1999. Lost my save for some unknown reason. Way to ruin my holidays. Played an hour or 2, saved and turned off. Went to play next day save file says empty. No way am I doing that boring start again, I'd already started over due to the bad tutorial. Taking the game back first thing tomorrow, may even take back the Wii U. Bad Ubisoft, bad
  101. Dec 7, 2012

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.