• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2012
7.5

1. Nov 18, 2012
    Not sure what's up with all of these 0-3 reviews--come on now. I'll be giving it a 10 just to boost it from the trolls.

The graphics are not great--that's its low point. They absolutely nailed the feel and atmosphere with the music, sounds, and locations. If you are a fan of survival horror, you'll certainly want to check this game out. I'm not saying it's a timeless masterpiece,
    but get out of here with those 0 scores. Expand
  2. Nov 27, 2012
    I think this game is not getting the love it deserves. It's a great game for the Wii U. Great graphics, great sound, and it's a very unique approach to the zombie genre that just won't go away. If you own a Wii U, i say buy this game over the rest. Mass Effect 3 and other titles are just not worthy to be in the same level as ZU. Give it a try. The best Wii U game so far!
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    OMFG this game is absolutely hands down the best survival horror I've ever played in my life. Do not play on easy mode. No ammo pickups, maximize your skills with melee, and get ready to get your ass TORTURED. I thought the Wii U was going to be the weakest new console to hit but this title makes it a brutal, brutal new episode in gaming. Going to pick it up real soon (have only made these judgments based on my neighbor's new setup). Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    we now have a precedent for what all wii u FPS should be like. watch the trailer to see how it works: you are fully immersed and have to use your body to move the screen around to see exactly what you're getting yourself into. it's almost like you're in the game itself. like nothing i've ever played before.
  5. Nov 18, 2012
    This is a very unique game that rewards the thoughtful player. If you come in wanting to just blast zombies, look elsewhere. However, if you like to tread lightly and think before you move then you're in for one heck of a scary and rewarding experience.
  6. Nov 18, 2012
    Hi, ZombieU is an awesome game, graphically good with a setting and atmosphere very successful survival horror. As for the multiplayer is the most original.
  7. Nov 18, 2012
    GameSpot gave this awesome a 45/100, but then they deleted the review. Yep. Anyway, ZombiU it's an awesome game not only because it's better than the new entries in the series that used to be the bomb in the Horror genre a decade ago ( Resident Evil and Silent Hill), but also because it's challenging, rewarding and it uses the GamePad in a great way. Get this. It's gold.
  8. Jan 2, 2013
    I'm a zombie fanatic so when I first heard about ZombiU I had to have it. It's literally the whole reason I bought a Wii U, and while it's not perfect it's a game that I recommend to all zombie fans. This is a survival horror game will both challenge and frighten you. Unlike most zombie games the infected actually won't go down without a fight, making encounters against more than one of them a tense ordeal, and if your off your game against even one of them it will spell doom for your character. One of the most unique features of ZombiU is the permadeath system, which means if your character dies their dead for good, at which point you come back as a new survivor who then has to go back and hunt down your now zombified old character and get your supplies back. It works really well and helps set ZombiU apart from just being another undead shooter. This game is also a fantastic way for Nintendo to show off what the Wii U is capable of doing with it's two screen functionality. For most of the game you'll look at the TV screen, but when your doing things like looting, lock-picking, and checking your backpack, ect. you'll be looking at the gamepad, the cool thing about this is that when your looking at the game-pad the outside world does not pause so your never safe and at any time a walker can come up and kill you while your distracted, so you really need to be aware of you surroundings at all time. All of these help make ZombiU a gem on the Wii U, and hopefully this will be the start of a Wii U exclusive zombie series. Now for the bad, if this game does get a sequel there are some things that need to be fixed. Gunplay needs to be better, melee combat, while satisfying, could benefit from more weapons (preferably something better than a weak cricket bat, a machete would be nice), there are some technical issues that need to be fixed, a better story that preferably let's you choose which characters you side with, and I don't want to have to wait for a door to open while the game is loading (sometimes this took close to a minute). But even with it's flaws ZombiU is a excellent and challenging zombie, survival-horror game for your Wii U. I highly recommend. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2012
    It's a really survival horror. The graphics and story are not the best. But the mechanics with the gamepad are cool and the terror sensation is real. Good game!
  10. Nov 25, 2012
    As a survival horror game, this game really does its job. Yeah you will end up beating zombies with a cricket bat a lot, but that's because supply conservation is a crucial and common element of any real survival horror game. I found the game to have a very dark and scary atmosphere that has kept me pacing myself wherever I go rather than running and gunning without a care. The story of a zombie plague is told through real time scenes (a la half-life) as well as numerous news paper pages and letters you find. I've found myself interested in all aspects of the game... I feel like the negative reviews for this are full of prematurely conceived biases and a fair number of reviewers were expecting the wrong kind of game. Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2013
    Disappointing Anyone who has had any substantial experience playing video games will immediately notice the many horrible game designs used in this subpar game. Allow me to elaborate, in detail, why this game is horrible and you should save your money for a more enjoyable game: 1. Controls (5/10) Aiming with a thumbstick is a horrible and outdated way of aiming in 3D games on a next generation console. It’s ineffective, slow and frustrating. The technology the WiiU has makes it possible to make aiming a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience than fumbling around with a thumbstick. One only needs to look at the Zelda Archery minigame in Nintendoland to see that aiming projectile weapons in games on the WiiU can be both easy, fun and accurate rather than backwards, clunky and inaccurate.
    The rest of the controls such as map, inventory management, “pinging” for nearby zombies, scanning a room are all executed on the WiiU gamepad. Many of these features are used very often making looking down at the gamepad a common occurrence that detracts from the immersion in the game and makes it more difficult than necessary to accomplish simple and always repetitive tasks.
    It seems that Ubisoft went to great pain to make sure their game used EVERY SINGLE NEW FEATURE of the new WiiU regardless of if it actually even added any value to the title. Just because your game can utilize a feature of the WiiU console/gamepad doesn’t necessarily mean it has to. The scanning feature is cool the first two or three times you use it, but pulling out your scanner and waving your arms around every single time you enter a new room gets repetitive, boring and slows the gameplay and action to a crawl. Over 50% of the time you play this game you will be spent either scanning each and every new room you enter or collecting the items you find during said scans. This makes the core of ZombieU feel mostly like a easter egg hunt game rather than a zombie survival game.
    For a title that makes it’s main selling point the game controls, ZombieU leaves a lot to be desired on the controls front.

2. Graphics (5/10)
    The game actually looks pretty nice when you can actually see it.
    ZombieU has this persistent dirty screen effect that puts random circles on the screen that look akin to viewing the entire game through a dirty piece of glass. This I feel detracts from the game or was put in to obscure the overall average polygon counts in ZombieU.
    ZombieU also has a habit of making light sources look like someone installed nuclear powered light bulbs in every socket. Being blinded by overly bright lights is just another graphics gimmick that makes actually seeing the environment difficult.
    The game is also notoriously dark making the viewing area in such areas just as wide and as far as your non nuclear powered flashlight can shine. Flashlights in games are cool but only if they are used sparingly here and there such as in games like Metro 2033. ZombieU has a heavy reliance on flashlights making it even more difficult to view your environment.

3. Combat (3/10)
    I hope you like that pretty cricket bat you get at the start of the game because 90% of all combat in this game will be you bashing zombies over and over and over with the damn thing. Between scanning rooms and bashing zombies over and over with your cricket bat, 80% of the time you spend in this game will be doing one of these two repetitive actions.
    Aiming is difficult and the firearms in the game are weak. A headshot to a zombie (if you can even manage to hit a moving zombie in the head with a crappy thumbstick aiming device) doesn’t kill a zombie, it takes upwards of three headshots to kill a zombie. With ammo being scarce as it is already coupled with crappy and ineffective alternatives you are pretty much stuck with that crappy bat.
    Speaking of that crappy bat, your character really really sucks at using it effectively. The animation (not animations) to swing it are slow, boring and repetitive making combat a thing of timing seeing as it can take a whole 4-6 seconds from the time you push the swing attack until the time you can swing again. Timing combos, varying bat animations and effects and not to mention just different melee weapons (knives, swords, hammers) could have made the melee combat more enjoyable.

4. Gameplay (4/10)
    I hope you like a linear roller coaster gaming experience. This game is not open in the least, it does not give you choices to make you simply hop in the ZombieU roller coaster and tackle each and every problem it throws your way in the proper order it wants you to. There isn’t even any dialog choice to make, the only voice characters in the game simply talk at you rather than talk with you.

Overall, this game doesn’t feel so much like a fun well designed game but rather a gimmick to show off all the new features of the WiiU that will drive you utterly insane with frustration at it’s backwards game design.
  12. Jan 27, 2013
    The game started off great. But then zombies that explode on contact simply because they're wearing a tank on their backs even if you don't actually hit said tank, and a plethora of game breaking bugs just made this a pointless purchase really. With no official word on a patch to fix the various issues with the game, I'd say skip this. Don't even ask for it as a gift.
  13. Nov 25, 2012
    Just would like to say that you should not look into the negative reviews about this game. Sure, first person zombie games have come out before, but nothing like this. The sheer level of detail and the lighting, and the environments all blend together to make a pretty damn good launch title. I especially like how, if you become infected, you play as the next survivor and have to kill your previous player. Thought that was really an ingenious idea. I have only scratched the surface, but from what I can see, there is no wrong with this game. Expand
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    I wasn't going to try this game after reading IGN's review but after reading some more review's from other site's eg "Ausgamers". I bought a WiiU and ZombieU and have loved it the graphics are not the best but thats after playing other titles on my pc when i play my ps3 or xbox 360 i always am in shock how bad the graphics look compared to pc .One of IGN's negative points was ammo being scarce but they were playing it before everyone's zombie survivors were popping up in each others world like loot pinatas. The Melee combat is a little clunky but really would say a nurse in real life be able to pick up a bat and turn into a zombie killing machine?. The atmosphere is great as well .. There is nothing like the feeling of scanning the environment before you turn a corner. I like the game pad use's for checking your bag and looting. I hate it for tapping manhole covers and timber boards. Like others have said if you love survival horror games give this a try and you will not regret it. Ohh and buy something else to play when your heart cannot take it after a couple of hours.. Expand
  15. Dec 7, 2012
    This is a really great game. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a NEW gaming experience. I did not think that either Nintendo or Ubisoft could pull something like this off.

The game is genuinely frightening, like Amnesia frightening. That alone amazes me that Nintendo has a more frightening game than the other two. The gamepad works as a unique controller that adds elements to the
    game, real, tactile gameplay that doesn't exist on any other platform at this time.

I don't know why there are neg reviews, but the graphics are great, the gameplay is an improved classic survival horror and not FPS style. That means you can't whip your head around 360, but you are impaired by a more realistic response time. One thing is for certain, you will truly feel like you are in this game. You will be scared.

I highly recommend this game. If you like survival horror I don't believe you can find a better experience. How long will you survive?
  16. Apr 30, 2013
    I found this game to be pretty poor and I don't know how it passed nintendo's QA. 1st off, the game is full of bugs. My first play through, I fell through the floor near a save point. The game auto-saves due to it's quasi-perma-death mechanic. So it said I died, falling through the floor, auto-saved with no way to get my stuff back, but then it kept spawning me at the hole in the floor. So each time I tried to start from that save again it just threw me through the floor. So that was several hours lost after I had to delete my game and restart. I also ran into plenty of other game-breaking bugs in my several hours with the game.

The graphics are just awful. I'd say they're comparable to launch xbox 360 games like condemned: criminal origins. They're just really bad and it's often hard to see what you're doing.

The sound is awful too. Guns sound pathetically weak, zombies don't sound scary.

Some reviewers here are saying this is a "true survival horror" game. I found the game neither scary, nor having any real aspect on survival other than the quasi-perma-death and 1-bite-death mechanics. Other than that many areas of the game can be beaten simply by tossing a flare and sprinting away. If you make it to a sewer hole it acts as a checkpoint. No real survival here...

The gameplay is extremely basic. Melee weapons are boring consisting of one swing move. Guns are boring and feel unrealistic. The scanning mechanic to find items and stuff is cool...for about the 1st 5 minutes. Then after the 50th time you have to stop and scan a room using the wii u's game pad, it gets old and tedious.

Honestly I'd say skip this game entirely. A select few may find something to like here, but the majority of people are going to find this a shockingly low quality, boring game that uses none of the wii u's functionality well at all.
  17. Nov 26, 2012
    Wow, this was a day one purchase as it s for me and I have to admit I played it for an hour and was somewhat unimpressed. I came back about a week later and told myself I was going to give it a fair shot and boy am I glad I ever did. The initial turn off to many gamers I think is that it is NOT a scripted "hold your hand" type of game and it aims to take from seasoned greats such as Dark Souls (Learning from dying), Metroid (Revisiting past places with new equipment to access new areas), and even Resident Evil One (Clunky Survival Horror) Although its not perfect graphically or combat wise It almost seems to be a necessity as the graphical style allows for more surprises (think Silent Hill Fog) and the minor clunkiness gives you a sense of urgency when attacking or running from Zombies. This game is great and like many Nintendo exclusives makes me realize why I enjoy games so much. The amount of ingenuity and new ideas far surpasses almost every modern day title to date and with a few more tweaks such as more melee weapons and some slightly better character animations, the future of this series could be very good. Expand
  18. Nov 26, 2012
    Please, PLEASE try this game. The online reviews have been very harsh with it, and I personally think it deserves your attention. It is not perfect, far from it, but the game-play is fun, the atmosphere is great, you really feel like it's a survival. I also really enjoyed the gamepad features, scanning around for items and mission objectives, looking into your backpack you can get attacked if not careful, hearing the radio communication from the gamepad while looking at the screen is a small detail that really immerse you into the game. So please, try it :) Expand
  19. Dec 13, 2012
    ZombiU is an excellent survival horror game, in my opinion is a bit like the resident evil on playstation 1, in the only thing I complain a little is in the graphics, but everything else is excellent game.
  20. Jan 22, 2013
    The market is flooded with run and gun shooters and this one sets itself apart. It's more about surviving with limited resources and I mean limited. The atmospheric sounds add a great deal to the experience especially traveling in the dark. There is so much detail in this game I don't know where to begin like the fire and water effects are nicely done as well as lighting. But sure the visuals are not the games strong point but the gameplay is where it strikes. It's about carefully executed events that keep you alive and never rushing to reach the next objective, one small mistake and it's zombie food. Do yourself a favor and try this out. Get ready to jump out of your seat because they come when you least expect it. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2012
    First of all, I'm laughing at the multi-accounting casuals giving this game low ratings. They should stick to their Cowadoody and pseudo-horror games like Dead Space and RE6 and stay away from genuinely hardcore games like this. Anyways, this game is brutally hard; the zombies aren't one-hit kills any more, but they still present a huge threat. Regenerating health? You wish. Save points? Spare me. There's no reloading save points when **** hits the fan; you make do or die. This game is brutal. The game also takes ammo conservation up to eleven. Finding five handgun bullets is cause for celebration, and if you try to play this like Dead Space you'll find yourself having to spend most of your time beating zombies to death with a stick. Another surprisingly deep aspect is the Gamepad; everything, from switching weapons to picking locks, is handled on it, drawing your attention away from the TV and the horrible things trying to chew your face off. It racks up the tension, which brings me to another point: ZombiU is genuinely scary. In an era of gaming where games that claim to be scary aren't (RE6), this is suprising. The game has its downsides, though: the constant backtracking gets tedious after a while, and the multiplayer feels weak. Ultimately, though, this is one of those games where you'll decide whether or not you like it based on what you want out of it. If you're hoping for Kill Everything Ever: Zombie Edition, stick with RE6 and Dead Space; you'll hate everything about this game, from the slow-pacing to the punishing ammo conservation and the backtracking. This game is strictly for survivalists and true survival horror fanatics; it scary, gory, and doesn't make any effort to coddle the player. It's the antithesis to the endless casualized shooters and action-horror games made by other companies, and an ode to those who want a sadistic challenge. And here's to hoping that the inevitable sequels stay that way. Expand
  22. Jun 22, 2013
    Let's face it, when it comes to launch titles, people shouldn't expect too much, especially from Third Party developer. However, I have to admit that ZombiU is a solid title, which tries its hardest to utilize WiiU's functionality to the best of its abilities. This is not a FPS; it's a pretty hardcore survival horror game. Bitten by a zombie? You'll become one, and you will resume the game as another 'survivor', losing your loot in the process. When you have more than 2 zombies in front of you, moving headfirst will surely end your game prematurely. It leads to a lot of tension for sure. This is more of a survival horror title than the acclaimed RE series these days. The only bad thing: so so narrative, probably due to the 'perma death' system in the game. If you own a WiiU, and looking for a solid exclusive, give this one a look. Expand
  23. Mar 31, 2013
    ZombiU is a great game. While it misses on a few elements such as how many times it takes to kill a zombie with the melee weapon and maybe not having the most coherent story, what the game does well makes these flaws an afterthought. I don't think I've ever played a game that had me on my toes as much as this one. When a zombie pops up behind you or around a corner it's legitimately frightening. It's hard to understand the ign and gamestop reviews, I would of thought this game would be hailed as innovative and taking risks, unlike many of the FPS type games out today. The atmosphere of this game is really something special. Expand
  24. Dec 3, 2012
    Zombie U takes a good concept but unfortunately doesn't do the best job of capitalizing on it. The game is very much a survival horror game with ammo and supplies scarce. The coolest part to me is that when your survivor dies you start off as a new one and you can actually run into the zombie version of the deceased survivor. You can also run into other zombies from other people's games if your Wii U is hooked up to the internet. The game pad control works fairly well in terms of managing your inventory as well as using a radar on it to detect zombies. The game just gets choppy and the missions are often bland. The graphics could also be a lot better and combat isn't as smooth as other zombie games like Left 4 Dead. In the end the game is a solid game but could have been a lot better. It's enjoyable especially if you enjoy survival horror but I would say wait for the price to come down. Expand
  25. Dec 30, 2012
    ZombiU is getting such a wide range of reviews because there are a lot of people expecting something from it that the game itself is not. This is pure and simple a survivor horror game more in line with the first Resident Evils on the Original Playstation. If you are looking for an FPS then turn away now because Zombiu is not an FPS. You are not going to run around completely demolishing everything in your path. This game is great! This game is intense and has you really scrambling to survive. You can not afford to underestimate any threat. There have been times where I barely survive a Zombie mob just to be brought down by a single Zombie later. Having to kill your former zombified self is an amazing concept as well and works wonderfully. This game is top notch and delivers on what it promises. You may die a few times getting use to the controls but once you do get use to them surviving becomes that much easier. The graphics are not as amazing as I would like but they do not take away from the experience either. Don't pass this game up if you are looking for a survival horror that will keep you on your toes! This game is worth every penny I spent on it. Expand
  26. POE
    Nov 18, 2012
    This game is great. It has the best story so far on a wii u game, and awesome use of the control pad. The grafics are it´s low point, maybe with more time Ubisoft could have done a better job on this aspect.
  27. Nov 20, 2012
    You are either going to be in the eurogamer (9.2) camp, or the gamespot (4.5) camp. It is that simple, and there is no middle. People expecting left 4 dead U or dead island U should stay away, this is a true survival horror game, like the early Resident Evils and Silent Hills. It has a great, creepy atmosphere, and it nails the gamepad usage, with a real scavenging scenario. However, i would have liked to see better graphics, a more coherent plot, and more interesting varieties of zombies. Expand
  28. Jan 1, 2013
    My adventure was finished around 6 hours by a game killer bug at brick-lane market door-code. That tower of London helicopter just keeps hovering there although I have already completed that area.
  29. Gar
    Jan 1, 2013
    Looking at gameplay videos/reviews I could tell that ZombiU is not a good game, but still got it since I was desperate for christmas present ideas. I was right about the game being rather poorly made. Now those crazy people that compare ZombiU with the "master piece" that Dark Souls is, should be quite embarrased. A car broken in half and an F1 car are both difficult to handle, BUT only one is hard because its good.

Dark Souls had great varied combat with some actual tactics and enemies that were fair if you knew what you were up againts. ZombiU on the otherhand relies on zombies spawning from nowhere (monster closets are considered out of nowhere), poor unresposive controls and a ridiculously narrow field of view. A game with good mechanics like Dark Souls can be challenging even if you are going 1 vs 1 againts an enemy. ZombiU on the other hand relies on "surprising" you with enemy encounters which shoudlnt happen and at least in the beginning, making those encounters "hard" by explaining the controls too late. The scanner funcionality is also pretty atrocious. Why on earth would I want to almost turn around in my seat to scan my enviroment? Looting corpses and dragging stuff on the touchscreen isnt thad bad, except when you just want to close the menu on an empty corpse and wind up having to move your hand instead of just pressing a button. More of an annoyance really.

If you want a good zombie game/expirience, get Dead Island instead.
    If you want good combat mechanics in a hard game, get Dark Souls instead.

The game is also very buggy. I've had my menu item to open my backpack disapper completely for half an hour, now I'm expiriencing a game breaking but that is preventing me from completing the game. After 6 hours of gameplay, my game is giving me 2 objectives (the one I completed last time) and a new one. However I cannot complete my next objective since the my scanner refuses to scan a code for a keypad I have to get open. Before purchasing the game, I recommend visiting the official forum to see if "game breaking bug" is still a the most common name for thread...
  30. Nov 19, 2012
    Along with resident evil revelations I would concider this one of the only true survival horror games to still exist in this modern day of casual games and faceroll uninteresting ideas. This game is tough, infact IGN gave the game a bad review just because of how terrible the reviewer playing was, this game is scary at times and the atmosphere is amazing! Play this game in the dark!

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.