• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2012
7.5

1. Jul 18, 2013
    Now, this is what I'd call a Survival-Horror game! It has a high difficulty level and a great, tense atmosphere.

Loved it al the way though, the 13 hours it lasted, feeling the thrills every second.

Cons are graphics look a little outdated and the story is somewhat shallow, but the Gamepad adds a lot to the game play (radar and Backpack checking. You don't know how tense the game can
    get with just those two features)

It has nice reply value, too. Try playing in cooperating with others via Miiverse and the game renders an awesome online-multiplayer-like experience!!

And that's enough for me to give it a 9.
  2. Jul 15, 2013
    I couldn’t help feeling sad after finishing this game. This is one of those games you don’t want to finish in a good way). I choose to play this game at night with no one around to bother me, It was an amazing experience. The way the gamepad works is such an awesome addition, you don’t feel save going through your inventory, i kept watching every 2 seconds at the TV if i was not being attack from behind.
    Even though you find some powerful weapons you never feel save wandering around London, you have to make strategy’s to make it out alive in the best way possible since you don’t want to spoil all your ammo at once. There have been times my hart of was pounding so fast and so hard i had to just stop playing this game. But there is a catch.. you can’t just save on the spot. You will have to find your save zone and save over there. ZombiU is a true survival and those who gave this a low rating are either not very good at it or don’t want to take their time to play through this game.
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    After reading reviews that were either great or quite bad, I was still intrigued by this game. after passing it this is a great ride and is definitely worth a visit. the atmosphere and tension in this game is terrific I could feel my heart pumping sometimes as you never know what to expect around the corner. This is survival horror and you will die many times but this is part of the fun. There are some issues I had loading times were sometimes all over the place when just opening a door and it would be great if you could mark things on your map so you know where you need to trace back to if necessary.

You aren't given an unlimited supply of ammo or health recovery but this is part of the fun you really need to plan and strategise how you will survive for the next mission and I really liked this. The Wii U game pad is also used well serving as a map, inventory holder and also a cool feature where you can use it to scan your surroundings in the game for hidden secrets or messages. I was quite impressed and had a great time with it.

This game may not be for everyone but if you want a suspenseful, scary yet fun game this is for you. Patience is key to this game if you don't have it, then you won't survive very long.
  4. Sep 5, 2013
    What can videogames produce? What is their goal? I do believe VG are art, so they want to communicate, create experiences. ZombiU is one of the freshest experiences out there. You'll see people speaking about graphics and bla bla bla, this game is a MUST HAVE, an unique experience. Do you want to play generic games or have unique experiences? Your call
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    This is the game that made me buy the Wii U. ZombiU is as survival as it can be. Every zombie is a threat, ammo is limited, and dying have consequences (in most cases you lose your stuff, and you have to go from your safe house to where you died to recover them). This game doesn't pause when you look at your inventory, read some document, or picklock a door (but there is a pause button, if you need a break and you haven't saved). The difficulty is medium to hard; but it can be increased with the option of 1 life game over.

The graphics are average (for today standards); but if you are used to Wii games, you'll look at this as a huge improvement. The overall ambiance feels dark, deserted, and sometimes frightening. The horror factor comes from the sound department, the eerie locations, and occasionally sudden panic situations (like a horde coming to kill you).

It lacks online multiplayer mode; but there is offline multiplayer, with one player controling the survivor with a Wiimote and nunchuck, or a Wii U Controller Pro, and the other deploys zombies in the map with the gamepad. Here the game is more action oriented. In single player mode, the game keeps a score that is published online, and appears in other people games if it's on the top ones.

ZombiU had the potential of being the best horror game in this generation; but it fell short in the graphic aspect, and it didn't went as deep into twisted situations that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia did. However it's still a great game, and I highly recommend it.
  6. Feb 19, 2014
    This game certainly deserved better reviews than what it got. The controls were frustrating at first, but then I actually grew to like the sense of limited movement. Its not like CoD at all. It feels like you are actually controlling a human body and all the physical limitations that entails. It contributes greatly to the frantic, scrambling, survival sense. The game has some genuine fright to it and has a 2 player mode that is not only funny, but also creative and extremely entertaining. I wouldve liked to see more options with melee combat besides a single weapon (a cricket bat) since you are very limited on ammo, but I think Ubisoft did a great thing with this game, and I would love to see a sequel where they refine some of these issues. Expand
  7. Dec 24, 2013
    (This is a very long review that goes in depth) I'm a bit late to the ZombiU launch date, this was supposed to be one of the Wii U's main launch title and was supposed to showcase how to the gamepad can be used in harmony with the TV.It does that exactly. ZombiU is Zombie thriller that focuses not on the shoot and hope you dont die gameplay but instead takes Zombie killing back to its roots.Focusing in on planning, conservation of ammo, if you try to run and shoot on this you are going to last 10 minutes.ZombiU reminds me of the days back when the N64 had resident evil. You were on edge, it was tough gameplay you had to be wise with the little ammo you had. ZombiU is probably one of the greatest Zombie games ever and one of the greatest FPS games ever. ZombiU in my opinion has achieved its goal of being realistic, tense but at the same time give a Zombie experience that is ultimately fun and memorable. The story line is a bit confusing at places especially at the start with Some "Prepper" telling what to do but does get interesting I wont spoil the fun though.I'll split the rest of the review into specific features of the game.

Setting/Location-
    The setting being London is an interesting choice to say the least as here in the UK you would have trouble finding any firearm unless its an air rifle. Also being set in London a city makes the chances of anyone owning an axe or chainsaw extremely unlikely but that all aside, I personally love the settings a trip to the The Tower Of London is something I will not likely forget. If have you played the demo you would have completed the nursery level, that nursery is one the most scariest Zombie experience I have ever had. 9/10

Combat-
    A lot of people complain about the clunky combat in this game and the lack of extra melee weapons but this all adds to the realism of the game, as I said earlier its unlikely that you will find anything better. As for the clunky combat I dont think its that clunky but this also adds to the ever increasing difficulty of the game. A great way to get more used to the combat is to play the multiplayer which is excellent. The combat at times is very clunky but again gives you a challenge (And I play it on Chicken Level). There is quite a range of guns to find and use from the Desert Eagle (Known in the game as the magnum I think) to the silent deadly Crossbow which is a very fun weapon to use. 8/10

Difficulty-
    I would like to think I'm quite the expert gamer choosing to play a lot of games on the hardest setting, but this was a challenge for me I chose to play on Chicken which was the only one other that normal. I assume it makes the zombies more docile and not quite as sharp but even with that 3 hours I had already died 5 times. Which sounds fine if I was playing a simple die and respawn from the last checkpoint game but alas this game decided to put an interesting spin in that, everytime you die in this game you respawn but at the safe house and as a different survivor, your previous survivor has now turned into a zombie and has all of its weapons with it and you have to go and find to get it all back. Making this a frustrating yet challenging way to die and respawn. 10/10

Multiplayer-
    A small feature with huge potential. Multiplayer is a great way to showcase the gamepads features and makes me wish there was a RTS game for Wii U. Play as the King of Zombies who can spawn zombies to attack a survivor (Player 2 with a Wii Nunchuk Combo or Wii U Pro Controller) capture flags and try to stop the survivor capturing flags. I have had a lot of fun with multiplayer unfortunately limited by only playing with 2 players this shows what can be done in the future with FPS games imagine spawning MW3 juggernauts to try and kill the other players and this could be done online. There are 3 modes in ZombiU's multiplayer Assault basically CTF, Kill Box where the survivor just needs to kill as many zombies as they can, Survival where its time based as opposed to kill based (this is a Uplay reward)
    Overall Multiplayer has a lot of potential 9/10

Graphics-
    This is a let-down unfortunately they're not great but they aren't necessarily bad, they could just be improved is all I will say. 7/10

Gamepad Use-
    This is amazing giving a constant map, letting you scan rooms for items saves so much time but the gamepad use also adds another great amount of difficulty as the game does not pause for you while arranging your equipment or picking a lock so while your attention is fixed on the gamepad on the TV a zombie could be right behind you this adds more difficulty to the game. Overall this game gives us the reason why the Wii U has a gamepad 10/10

Overall this is a must buy and with the talk of a 26th December eshop sale with ZombiU being reduced to 7.99 there is no reason not to buy this. This game has laid down the foundation for many more great Wii U games. I hope there is a sequel even if it has to be cross platform. 9/10 game
  8. Mar 14, 2014
    I absolutely love Zombi U. Don't expect a game where you'll be immersed in some incredible storyline and lovable characters-this game isn't really about that. It's all about creating a terrifying atmosphere where you feel really alone and where you get legitimately scared and panicked when a group of zombies comes out of nowhere. Sometimes I find myself fumbling through my inventory haphazardly when I'm caught off guard by zombies because I wasn't prepared for it. It's a rush! I even start shooting poorly because I'm so panicked. It's just plain creepy and unpredictable. Best part about it is that once you die, you start as a new survivor with hardly any supplies (I'm sure you knew that). But that makes me try SO HARD to stay alive, making any zombie encounter terrifyingly realistic. Most first person shooters can't create those types of emotions because you know you'll just respawn again in a location right near where you died and you don't have anything to lose. Not in Zombi U. Survival means everything. Highly recommended. Expand

1. Feb 1, 2013
    It takes a couple of hours to fully realize that ZombiU – not an eerie game, but a rather eerily boring one – is a goner. I hope that Ubisoft will hack the head off this franchise before it turns into ZombiU 2 and starts biting people’s wallets.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    An intense experience. ZombiU delivers one of the most intense experiences in recent history. Moody, violent and suitably tough, it managed to keep me playing long into the night. [Jan 2013]
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    For fans of the survival horror genre, ZombiU is filled to the brink with challenges and many hours of gameplay.