Baroque Wii

8.1

1. Hodge
    Apr 14, 2008
    If you like Roguelikes, you'll love this. If not, you'll hate it. Really, you'd think reviewers would have enough of a background in niche gaming to see a game like this for what it is. It's a Roguelike (a dungeon crawl with RPG game mechanics. Unlike most RPGs, there much more emphasis on survival and using what comes your way through random item generation, and far If you like Roguelikes, you'll love this. If not, you'll hate it. Really, you'd think reviewers would have enough of a background in niche gaming to see a game like this for what it is. It's a Roguelike (a dungeon crawl with RPG game mechanics. Unlike most RPGs, there much more emphasis on survival and using what comes your way through random item generation, and far less on simply accumulating power). The story is actually well-developed for a Roguelike, and hinges on exploration and experimentation with changes each time the game world resets. This happens upon either death or reaching the bottom o f the main dungeon. Each reset causes a change in the world, as long as you managed to find a way to advance the plot. Nothing is spelled out for you, but so far I haven't encountered anything that couldn't be figured out through experimentation. On the other hand, there is a genuine sense of mystery to the plot that's generally lacking in games. At the end of the day, though, it's not a pretty or polished game. But it is quite good at being what it's meant to be, which is a niche game aimed at a set of gamers who don't really care about graphics or polish in the first place. 7.8. Expand
  2. ChrisC.
    Apr 15, 2008
    The idea of the game is really good. The battle system is just poorly designed. Poor control, no real combat options other than 'attack', and your ability to survive in the dungeon is completely based on the quality of the item drops you happen to get.
  3. Sep 22, 2010
    I really do love this game. Don't see my 6 and instantly assume that I am trying to bash this game. I have spent hours wondering around and honestly do find this fun. It is just what I want to get from a modern dungeon crawler. Rogue-like is honestly a genre I have never heard of, and after this It didn't really turn me into a fan.

I feel like the makers accomplished exactly what they

I feel like the makers accomplished exactly what they wanted but it left me out in the air with no idea what was going on, with random cut scenes that I found entertaining but not really of substance. (I will get endless hours of entertainment out of "Do you remember our scar?"). The art design is beautiful and the controls are simple enough to pick up and play, I don't really understand why complex controls is something to mention in a positive review. If this game is going to blow your mind it will do so by being eerie, confusing, and gothically beautiful but not with its control scheme. It could have done a better job in explaining different aspects and some I still don't understand. If I didn't love this game for theatricality and ease of play I would have given it a much lower score (around 2 or 3) simply because I spent around 5 hours playing and getting nowhere. I was trying to hold on to the mystical gun for the cleansing of the fremen but I found myself losing it in at least 3 ways: accidentally throwing it at the light bringer who disappeared, having it stolen by the Noid, and having it turn into a leg of meat by stepping on a land mine. by all means I should hate this game that I feel is punishing me with severely limited item pack that fills up quick with bones, and for making me maddeningly angry by allowing the game to give me everything I don't need and nothing I do, and for lying to me about the dungeons not repeating, they do if you die enough. The real reason this gets a 6 is the same reason I rate Arthouse films on the lower end, they can look gorgeous and be amazingly well put together but if I get little entertainment then there isn't much for me to watch again. I would classify this game in the Arthouse-Anime genre if anything because that is how it felt, a Japanese industrial Bergman experiment. Wholly confusing but really does have alot to say if it is analyzed. I am going to continue to play this game for a while. And for the whopping 7 dollars I payed for it, it was a good choice on my part.

#24 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#63 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

The gameplay can be cheap, but it does have a good degree of challenge. Technical aspects are weak, but there is some style going for it.
    Baroque is unique in concept but lacking in fun. That idea that you have to die in order to put the pieces of your life together is interesting and could work, but you still have to give the player a sense of direction and accomplishment.
  3. n-Revolution Magazine UK
    Not a terrible game but if you want to be scared witless, go for Resi 4 instead. [Issue#22, p.78]