Call of Duty: World at War Wii

7.6

1. Nov 4, 2010
    I liked the story but I couldn't get over how bad the graphics were. It looked like they took the Xbox360 game and dropped the graphics to where it's barely playable but able to work on the Wii. I'm sorry Wii-mote lovers but I feel like I have more control with a mouse or two analog sticks. If you like FPS's then do yourself a favor and get Goldeneye because it's a billion times better.
  2. CODWAWReviewerGod
    Jan 2, 2009
    If I compare WaW to other wii fps then this game would be beat all other hands down. However, when you compare COD5 to itself for other platforms, it falls short of expectation. COD5 for the wii doesn't have split-screen, zombie mode, vehicles. COD5 for the wii also has less maps and online game modes to choose from (ex. Search and Destroy, War, Capture the Flag, etc.).
  3. JonathanH.
    Nov 13, 2008
    There are very few outstanding games for adults on the Wii system. This is one of them. Run, do not walk, to the store and get this. You will not be disappointed. The game is a true pleasure to play, first-person shooters like this are awesome on the wii as you simply point at the screen and unload on the enemy, just like in the arcade. Definitely not for kids, there's serious There are very few outstanding games for adults on the Wii system. This is one of them. Run, do not walk, to the store and get this. You will not be disappointed. The game is a true pleasure to play, first-person shooters like this are awesome on the wii as you simply point at the screen and unload on the enemy, just like in the arcade. Definitely not for kids, there's serious swearing, hardcore violence, dismemberment, etc. But for adult Wii owners sick of kid-oriented Mario games this is just what the doctor ordered! Expand
  4. YosoufM.
    Nov 18, 2008
    An absolutely fantastic FPS game for the Wii. While it doesn't have everything the 360/PS3/PC versions have (limited co-op mode, no split screen multiplayer, no zombie mode, etc )due strictly to hardware limitations, it still has great controls, a memorable story mode, and by far IMO the best online multiplayer FPS experience so far for the Wii!
  5. AndrewC.
    Nov 20, 2008
    8-player multiplayer? No co-up, vehichle mode, or zombie mode? Very disappointed, Treyarch :( Despite its riveting single player, the multi-player aspect of WaWii is definitely found wanting, and is certainly a step backward from titles such as MoH2.
  6. DJT
    Nov 20, 2008
    I used to think medal of honor heroes was one of the best WW2 fps's on the system. Obviously the wifi made the game last well beyond the single player. My only complaint was the few maps for the online play. It got prety monotonous playing the same maps - seeing people going to the same places to pick people off etc etc. I was refreshed to find this COD title. It's a refreshing I used to think medal of honor heroes was one of the best WW2 fps's on the system. Obviously the wifi made the game last well beyond the single player. My only complaint was the few maps for the online play. It got prety monotonous playing the same maps - seeing people going to the same places to pick people off etc etc. I was refreshed to find this COD title. It's a refreshing change from what became so stale with Medal of Honor. I like the faced pace often brutal combat you face. It's also nice to see some pretty decent realism. Medal of Honor was a little far fetched, and pretty scripted. COD has a lot more of a frantic AI feel about it. It's not about racking up points, it's just about survival - not running out of ammo, picking up a rifle off the ground, staying low, and just trying to make it thru the level. If you want a change from Medal of Honor, something with a little more grit, go for COD. It's my WW2 go to game on the Wii, now. Expand
  7. googlefreedomtofascism
    Feb 22, 2009
    Not the best controlling FPS on the Wii, MoHH2 still holds that, but this is pretty good. The fast action is nice, it flows very well with some stutters as the FPS fall during high action sequences, not enough to kill the level of immersion the game affords though. Worthy addition to the FPS library on the Wii.
  8. MatthewM
    Mar 13, 2009
    Call Of Duty: World at War is a very good game, unfortunately, it does have its drawbacks. Wii-players are still waiting to find an awesome FPS, like the ones on other consoles, but COD5 is definitely a step in the right direction. I also have a problem with the Co-Op Campaign, which is nothing more than a second cross hair. Maybe this is par for COD games, but it doesn't make it any Call Of Duty: World at War is a very good game, unfortunately, it does have its drawbacks. Wii-players are still waiting to find an awesome FPS, like the ones on other consoles, but COD5 is definitely a step in the right direction. I also have a problem with the Co-Op Campaign, which is nothing more than a second cross hair. Maybe this is par for COD games, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing. All in all, one of the best shooters out for Wii, and the campaign is loads of fun, with a multiplayer to provide hours of more fun. Expand
  9. RyanS
    Sep 8, 2009
    I enjoyed the game with it's great single-player and extensive multiplayer, but I was a little surprised about what Treyarch left out. Unlike in the PS3 and XBOX 360, it doesn't have zombie mode, death cards, or anything else that the other consoles had.
  10. MattG.
    Nov 14, 2008
    This is the best FPS I have played. Having Kiefer sutherlands voice for the whole of each mission makes you feel like you just walked into a miltary episode of 24 ! The game play and variety of weapons and venues to fight in coupled with the exilliration of the audio and visual effects on screen leave you tense and on the edge of your seat for hours. Love this game.
  11. KayaI.
    Nov 19, 2008
    Excellent game, cant stop playing it. Amazing single player mode and an even better online mode.
  12. BDunn
    Nov 28, 2008
    Finaly..a good fps ...producers claim...the same like the 360/psp3 etc...NO WAY!!! this game is nice when you want have fun alone...the pres artikels lie...no co-up with al the maps, no multi player what the other consoles have..grrrr....not funny .

But....it's a super game for shooting ..its intens..its till now the best ww-2 game!..but please mind that you buy a rip off the big one!
    kind regards
    mister B
  13. Andrew
    Oct 19, 2009
    After playing the PS3 version, I found the Wii version to be HORRIBLE. Graphics were not good at all, even for the Wii system, and the controls were hard to get used too. I kept it for 2 days, and then sold it on ebay.
  14. nickw
    Mar 16, 2009
    finally a good game for the wii. i beat the game in a week, couldn't quit playing it. now I play online all the time. great gameplay, but wish they would add more levels to online game play. it really needs more levels. all weapons are extremely accurate. DUNE COON level 65
  15. ChaseI
    Jun 27, 2009
    This game is really fun no doubt. It has good controls and a alright multiplayer. If you are looking for a really good fps on wii get The Conduit. It has a much better online multiplayer component and better controls. But Call of Duty World at War is still an alright game
  16. JoselC.
    Nov 12, 2008
    It packs as much from the 360/PS3 version but with Wii controls and a few exclusive features. The controls are fully adjustable (including a wii zapper control scheme), but I find the default controller scheme to be pretty good. Framerate drops do happen, but not enough to affect gameplay. Graphics are a welcome improvement over the PS2-like graphics of COD3 Wii, even if they pale in It packs as much from the 360/PS3 version but with Wii controls and a few exclusive features. The controls are fully adjustable (including a wii zapper control scheme), but I find the default controller scheme to be pretty good. Framerate drops do happen, but not enough to affect gameplay. Graphics are a welcome improvement over the PS2-like graphics of COD3 Wii, even if they pale in comparison to the graphics in other platforms. Overall one of the best FPS on the Wii. Expand
  17. KevinC.
    Nov 13, 2008
    While not as good on the Wii as other systems, this has got to be the best FPS currently out for the Wii. I'm not really one to care much about graphics, so to me it was pretty good graphic wise. I am thrilled that the storyline is exactly the same as the 360/PS3 versions, but I was upset that there was no local multiplayer in this game. Overall, good game!
  18. PeterC.
    Nov 18, 2008
    Really impressed they brought over the COD4 engine. But really dissapointed to buy the game only to find that Wii's online multiplayer is only 4v4 instead of 8v8. I can live with that, but the worst things is the Wii versionl, doesn't have any of the main multiplayer modes of the other consoles: no capture the flag, no search and destroy, no capture areas/war mode. Just Really impressed they brought over the COD4 engine. But really dissapointed to buy the game only to find that Wii's online multiplayer is only 4v4 instead of 8v8. I can live with that, but the worst things is the Wii versionl, doesn't have any of the main multiplayer modes of the other consoles: no capture the flag, no search and destroy, no capture areas/war mode. Just deathmatch and Free for All, which gets dull pretty quickly. I was reading a lot of articles which has people (including the game producers) claiming the Wii was basically 'the same game' as other consoles. It seems to me they were just hoping people wouldn't notice (even a couple of reviews seem to not have realized either) which is a really sh*ty way to treat your customers. I'm angry I brought the game without all the information being available. So yeah, online gets pretty boring pretty quick with deathmatch as the only mode, and less maps than other versions. Which is kinda a pity since that the main reason people buy shooters these days. Anyway, for those reasons I'm bringing the game back to the store and saving my birthday money for The Conduit which should hopefully do the online thing better. But yeah: just to let everyone else know what they're in for. Collapse
  19. KenS
    Dec 28, 2008
    I give this game a 7 or 8 for single player gameplay, but the multiplayer earns only a 4 or 5 for being downright bad. Do not buy this game if you want to play a splitscreen FPS with some friends, or if you want a good online multiplayer FPS.
  20. Sep 6, 2010
    While lacking some of the better features of the 360/PS3 versions, it still features a surprisingly good single player, with brilliant online play. Yes, the Wii version is inferior, but it's still a great FPS, if not as good as other first person games on Wii, like Red Steel 2 and Metroid Prime 3. A really fun and addictive game, but not as good as the other versions.
  21. Feb 12, 2012
    Eh, not very good. Pretty boring after awhile and the online is terrible. The only good thing about this game is the single player campaign. There story is also pretty good.
  22. Dec 21, 2011
    this is one great game that shows the wii is able to host cod title the controlls are good the online is good and the campaign is simply amazing it is a must have title on the wii
  23. May 19, 2012
    The greatest first-person shooter I have played. The campaign is engaging, with absolutely grand and accurate cutscenes. The historical accuracy of this game is quite nice. Probably still one of the greatest Call of duty games ever.
  24. Aug 26, 2012
    Call of duty world at war for the wii prooves that a hardcore fps is possible on the wii. Unfortunately, it fails to deliver on its promise. First off, the game does not feature zombies, online co-op, warplane turret mission, tank maps, voice chat, objective based mp modes, and less multiplayer maps. The singleplayer is the same story, and the game is brutal. The AI is intelligent, theCall of duty world at war for the wii prooves that a hardcore fps is possible on the wii. Unfortunately, it fails to deliver on its promise. First off, the game does not feature zombies, online co-op, warplane turret mission, tank maps, voice chat, objective based mp modes, and less multiplayer maps. The singleplayer is the same story, and the game is brutal. The AI is intelligent, the sound is good, the controls are decent, but the framerate is inconsistent. The multiplayer is fun, but is so basic that i doubt it'll spawn much of a community. The class system of the other versions is fully intact, and the challenges are still in place, and there is a full ranking system. But there are no objective based modes, no clans, no dlc, and no special feel to it. The game doesn't have much of any lag whatsoever. The graphics of the game are stunning, alot of textures look good, and the models are decent. Call of duty World at War on wii is a successfull experiment, but falls flat and is a bit of a dissapointment. The squadmate co-op is a nice bonus, but can't make up for what else the game does wrong. It's a good rental though Expand
  25. Nov 4, 2013
    Another fantastic CoD game for the Wii. Would be 10/10, but it did have a few very annoying "sticking points" (i.e. parts that were for me almost impossible to beat, and all of them pretty early on in the game) and I liked the control setup for CoD 3 better. Great campaign storyline, and even has an online mode for players who are into multiplayer.
  26. Feb 26, 2016
    I FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE FACT THAT THE SOVIETS ARE GLORIFIED IN VIDEO GAMES AS LIBERATORS. THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS THEY ENSLAVED, NOT LIBERATED, CENTRAL AND EASTERN EUROPE. THERE IS NO DENYING THAT THE AUTHORITIES OF THE SOVIET UNION, AT LEAST DURING THE STALINIST ERA, WERE AS TYRANNICAL AS THE AUTHORITIES OF NAZI GERMANY, IF NOT MORE. AND YET THE WESTERN GAME DEVELOPERS, WHO DON'TI FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE FACT THAT THE SOVIETS ARE GLORIFIED IN VIDEO GAMES AS LIBERATORS. THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS THEY ENSLAVED, NOT LIBERATED, CENTRAL AND EASTERN EUROPE. THERE IS NO DENYING THAT THE AUTHORITIES OF THE SOVIET UNION, AT LEAST DURING THE STALINIST ERA, WERE AS TYRANNICAL AS THE AUTHORITIES OF NAZI GERMANY, IF NOT MORE. AND YET THE WESTERN GAME DEVELOPERS, WHO DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT HISTORY, PAY HOMAGE TO THOSE RED FASCISTS.

World at War comes as a… bag mixed of single- and multi-player campaigns. As of the day I'm writing this review, Nintendo is about to shut down their wi-fi connectivity. Due to obvious reasons, I don't wanna tease myself with something that'll be taken away from me for keeps, so I skip the multiplayer mode. Anyhow, the Wii has never been known to have a top-notch online play, so why bother with it, right? Let's erase what is left to the displeasure of its fans. Although multiplayer, easily, constitutes like a good half of this product, and "Wi-fi connectivity" proudly announces the cover, never more will you be able to enjoy it. Poof, vanished into thin air.

So, what is the single-player campaign like? Right off the bat, if this is the future, or rather the present, of first person shooters, then do count me out. Granted, old school shooters couldn't boast of epic storylines but they, at least, would give you some freedom. Maps were yours to explore, or so I remember. In WaW, you have none of this freedom. The game is scripted and fixed beyond belief. Devs err on the side of caution not to let you roam free. You're being led by the hand at all times. Oh, you wanna take a stroll to the left. Not a bright idea - a felled tree blocks your path. To the right you can't go either, a boulder won't let you pass this time around. Mind you, there's a background for you to admire,. This forest, with all certainty, goes somewhere; only, where remains shrouded in mystery.

Cause them devs know good that all you wanna do in a game like this is jog straight ahead. And all the potential of the FPS genre is tapped when you hide away behind some cover, lying in wait for the enemy to reload. Then charge and hope you'll be a quick enough runner and gunner to make a pitiful attempt at shooting your enemy. Or, alternatively, wait and have your squad mates, actually, complete the whole game on your behalf. Then… it goes full circle, until the very end, with so little variation that the tank level strikes you as being from a different game. The outcome is that, thanks to some control freaks who made this game, you get an experience even more linear than the original Red Steel. I'll say it like I mean it, it is a simplified, if not simplistic, fps game. I recall playing the first installment to the Call of Duty franchise, and compared with it, World at War feels tenfold as linear.

So I heard someone in the audience say that the original Medal of Honor games were predictable as well, if not more, and generic, for that matter. Rationalize all you want, there was something to the first two MoHs that in WaW is gone missing. If only its programmers had the guts to let some fresh air in, the game could benefit from it, cause by the looks of it, they can't seem to take it in stride. The storyline gotta be so down to earth from beginning to end. MoH, in contrast to WaW, was tongue-in-cheek, almost like cabaret, which doesn't exactly mean that it could not take itself seriously.

It has become a stock phrase as far as this console is concerned - WaW is "graphically appealing for a Wii game." That said, on a bigger flat screen TV, textures are as blurred and muddy and bland… and what not that it gets you thinking. I myself have been thinking, which isn't every day, and what I came up with is that the Wii limitations as a piece of sh… hardware are no excuse for this game's looking far worse than the Call of Duty classic, still less of an eyesore that WaW, which came out five years later.

The AI deserves an honorable mention. To say it leaves much to be desired won't do it justice. Enemy soldiers have a strong inclination to get stuck in a rut every so often and squat as if it were a PE class, as if they believed would overcome an obstacle in front of themselves by performing an infinite number of squats. Sometimes, they stand motionless, without any intent to attack you. It's a sad view to look at. But what can you do? You saw it, you would agree. A wise thing to do under such circumstances is reset the level, start over and take it like a man.

Is it worth playing? Yes, as a curiosity, as a herald of the advent of more linear, repetitive and frustrating gameplay. I can only recommend this game, if you find it at a reasonable price.

#12 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#36 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. Arguably the best WWII game ever. Simply put, if you like first-person shooters this is absolutely essential.
  2. If you're looking for a great FPS on the Wii, Call of Duty: World at War definitely fits the bill. With its impressive graphics, cinematic and brutal storytelling, varied missions, and excellent multiplayer offerings, this is a must play title for mature Wii gamers.
  3. I can find fault with anything.