6.4

1. Mar 15, 2012
    This is probably the worst video game I've ever played. It's bad enough that I actually created a metacritic account hoping I might be able to warn people off. The combat system is something like Batman: Arkham Asylum, which I would appreciate if the input lag wasn't so high and they'd tried something more creative than "walk into an arena, fight waves and waves of enemies, platform to the next arena". Flinch animations and "more bad guys are coming" FMVs don't pause combat, so you'll be getting smacked around the entire time they play out. There is no checkpointing between waves of enemies, and very little within boss fights, either - so every time you die (and you will) you generally have to start all over from the hallway outside the arena (there's always a hallway). I spent nearly an hour fighting a midboss (the giant robot one) today.
    It's a Wii game, so I don't suppose I should fault it for looking like it was made in 2002. It does make decent use of the wiimote, mainly for targeting the thrown shield. The camera is controlled (vaguely) by the D-pad and does try very hard to get you killed.
    Bad combat and graphics aside, there's the writing and voice acting. I never saw the movie, but after hearing all the actors reprise their roles here, I'm glad I didn't waste my time. I am a bit puzzled by the writing, actually - this game is rated T and the combat is roughly that advanced, but the writing is clearly aimed towards young children. Which audience was this game aimed at?

1. Sep 30, 2011
    Captain America: Super Soldier on the Wii isn't as bad as some people claim. While the combat is somewhat repetitive, the upgrades actually help you and the ability to counter attack is useful when surrounded. The graphics aren't anything special, but the gameplay somewhat makes up for it. This is probably one to rent first, but for $40, it's not that bad.
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    After all is said and done Captain America: Super Soldier plays a lot like a watered downed Batman: Arkham Asylum, but with decent Wii controls thrown in.
  3. Sep 13, 2011
    Quite entertaining in the first moments, Captain America fails on the long run, when its undeniable faults come out. The cheap visuals give the fatal blow to a product which should have deserved more care.