6.4

1. Mar 15, 2012
    This is probably the worst video game I've ever played. It's bad enough that I actually created a metacritic account hoping I might be able to warn people off. The combat system is something like Batman: Arkham Asylum, which I would appreciate if the input lag wasn't so high and they'd tried something more creative than "walk into an arena, fight waves and waves of enemies, platform to the next arena". Flinch animations and "more bad guys are coming" FMVs don't pause combat, so you'll be getting smacked around the entire time they play out. There is no checkpointing between waves of enemies, and very little within boss fights, either - so every time you die (and you will) you generally have to start all over from the hallway outside the arena (there's always a hallway). I spent nearly an hour fighting a midboss (the giant robot one) today.
    It's a Wii game, so I don't suppose I should fault it for looking like it was made in 2002. It does make decent use of the wiimote, mainly for targeting the thrown shield. The camera is controlled (vaguely) by the D-pad and does try very hard to get you killed.
    Bad combat and graphics aside, there's the writing and voice acting. I never saw the movie, but after hearing all the actors reprise their roles here, I'm glad I didn't waste my time. I am a bit puzzled by the writing, actually - this game is rated T and the combat is roughly that advanced, but the writing is clearly aimed towards young children. Which audience was this game aimed at?
  2. Jul 31, 2011
    While the Wii version of Captain America doesn't quite match up to it's HD brethren, it's still a solid title. While the graphics are very cartoony, it has very good shield mechanics and the puzzles are far better than the HD versions. The platforming is too simple and easy though. Only offering a tiny bit of challenge near the latter parts of the game. The main put off is that it's a single player campaign with no challenge modes or any reason to keep playing once finished.

If you're a big fan of Cap, or really enjoyed the movie, you may want to consider this one. At the very least, it's worth a weekend rental. As far as Marvel/Sega movie games go, Captain America has proven itself to be the best on both systems.
  3. Mar 15, 2012

1. Sep 30, 2011
    Captain America: Super Soldier on the Wii isn't as bad as some people claim. While the combat is somewhat repetitive, the upgrades actually help you and the ability to counter attack is useful when surrounded. The graphics aren't anything special, but the gameplay somewhat makes up for it. This is probably one to rent first, but for $40, it's not that bad.
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    After all is said and done Captain America: Super Soldier plays a lot like a watered downed Batman: Arkham Asylum, but with decent Wii controls thrown in.
  3. Sep 13, 2011
    Quite entertaining in the first moments, Captain America fails on the long run, when its undeniable faults come out. The cheap visuals give the fatal blow to a product which should have deserved more care.