8.8

1. Jul 10, 2011
    An inventive mix of RPG, Adventure, Platforming and Shooter? Yes please. Cave Story is one of the most unique games I have played on the Wii and perfectly mixes everything you love about the old school, pixel like games in the past. Great controls, simple but addictive gameplay and a compelling story. Brilliant from beginning to end.
  2. Jan 4, 2011
    I just can repeat here: "Pixel made a Masterpiece" and Nicalis ported it perfectly to WiiWare. I really enjoyed this game very much. Perfect story you easily get suck into, perfect balancing of the weapons , perfect boss fights. Just few highlights from my point of view.
  3. Aug 5, 2011
    Cave Story is a captivating, brilliant, and nearly perfect game! I did have to deduct a few points for the game being free-to-download on PC but not on Wii which makes this version less desirable in that regard.
  4. Jan 15, 2012
    What an awesome game! I actually did not play this on the wii but actually just finished it on the PC but I believe they are essentially identical. I heard it was pretty good so I thought I would give this freeware game a try and I was blown away. It plays like a fabulous game from the NES days. It is pretty challenging with a story and characters that draw you in. It has three different endings and plays similar to the original Metroid but better. Check it our whether on PC, WII, or DS you'll enjoy it. Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2011
    This had gotta be one of the best wiiware titles out there. Despite its expensive price tag, this game offers unique game play and a great storyline to go along with it. This game is not too easy, but not to hard at the same time, although the game can get a little frustrating (especially towards the end). I also liked how there were 3 different endings (bad, normal, good), and they were set up in such a way that you could see all 3 of them. Expand
  6. Sep 7, 2011
    OKAY THIS IS TE BEST GAME EVER OF ALL TIME YEAH.
    Srsly.
    The graphics, CLASSIC audio, not the new, and gameplay charm is the ultimate game of all time. I love this game so much and the only game that competes with it is zack and wiki for the wii. YOU must get this on pc, for free, or this better graphics, worse music, more unlockables and game modes for 1000 wii points, which is 7 pounds.
    GET IT NOW!!

+All graphics
    +Classic Music
    +Ultimate charm
    +Mega story and characters
    -AND alternate endings!!!!

100%
  7. Nov 27, 2011
    What platformers were invented for. The simple fact that this was entirely the work of one person, makes it an instant classic, and a well deserved 10.
  8. Dec 25, 2011
    An indie masterpiece. A must have on Wii Ware. If you are a fan of classic style games this is one adventure you do not want to pass up on. I do recommend to play it with the classic music though, the new music has no flare. This game has a massive replay value as it is filled with alternate endings, a variety of weapons, multiple game modes and a bonus stage for anybody that has the gaming prowess to reach it. Collapse
  9. Feb 22, 2012
    Like Metroid, but fun. A wonderful 2D platformer-shooter with a focus on exploration. As a lifelong Mario fanatic, platformers that involve shooting aren't usually my cup of tea, but this one way just pure fun throughout. I highly recommend it. :)
  10. Apr 3, 2012
    An absolutely gem, people who don't appreciate this game can climb a wall of dicks. Seriously you can just feel that Pixel (the maker of this game) spent 5 years making it. This game is the best indie game ever ánd one of the best games of the last century.
  11. Jul 19, 2013
    Incredibly charming, inspiring, and intuitive. The graphics are retro and simplistic. The music is extremely catchy and memorable, the main theme in particular. The gameplay is enjoyable and familiar. The gameplay (let alone the entire game itself) is more or less a throwback to old NES titles such a Metroid and Megaman. Gameplay almost never feels repetitive, unless the area drags on or barely introduces something new. The weapons are all interesting, and the incorporation of a weapon-level system is brilliant. Each area feels relevant to the story, is littered with secrets and upgrades, and more often than not introduces a new weapon or mechanic. The level design is simplistic, but adequate. However, I feel that without the strong presence of story and hilarious writing, the gameplay and design would be nothing special. The story is omnipresent, likable, and surprisingly emotional for admittedly childish subject matter. The majority of the characters are incredibly charming. This game is fantastic, however, it is far from perfect. Some of the areas do tend to feel like filler, and if you are playing for a long time, the gameplay will get repetitive. This game heavily relies on the use of save points, so saving at any given time is always recommended. This does not bode well with the game's extreme difficulty. The game gets very hard very fast. The intense difficulty in conjunction with scarce save points makes failure become incredibly frustrating, as you often are forced to replay large portions of the game that are also painstakingly difficult. Rage-quitting is inevitable if you intend to complete this game 100%. This game features a lot of choices, for better or for worse. It works in terms of weapons, but not in terms of endings. Particularly the "best" ending. In order to get the best possible ending, you have to get all the best weapons, make sure certain characters don't die, and get all the obtainable health and missile upgrades. Once that is done, the final area of the game becomes excruciatingly difficult. Normally, the final area is four incredibly challenging bosses that get progressively difficult up to the forth and final boss. To get the best ending, you complete that same boss rush, only afterwards you have to complete a "hell level" and four more near-impossibly difficult bosses. Even if you manage to do all that, there's no real payoff to getting the best ending. Only play Cave Story for the "good" ending, for the sake of your sanity and patience. Even though completing the game to it's fullest is near impossible, Cave Story opened the doors for indie games and proved that one man can create a wonderful video game experience that rivals some of the triple A games in the modern market. Expand
  12. May 21, 2014
    This game is soo good, it's kind of hard to know where to start. This game was a master piece, and made by one person in the original version. Incredible. If I had to tell every thing I love about the game, I would exceed my character limit, so let me keep it short and sweet. I didn't know a 2d platform shooter rpg could have such entertaining, I was fun and challenging. The plot was also solid and very well made. God, this was a great game. Boss battles were soo much fun. (except for monster X, that boss fight was an a**, this game might give you the rage of a megaman game, sorry be warned, this is not an easy game, especially if you're going for the best ending. It helps if you save a lot however. My only complaints are, 1. I hated the fetch quest in the bushland. 2. It is very un obvious how to get the best ending.

My final comments, get the game. You will love it, there is so much to love about it. Though, you may be saving and dieing quite a bit. This game is sooo much fun, and is a masterpiece when you include the plot and likable characters. Now keep calm, and shoot on.
  13. Dec 25, 2011

1. Jan 1, 2011
    A love-letter to any gamer who plays for the sheer fun of it. Cave Story is not only the likely WiiWare game of the year, it's also a very serious contender for game of the year.
  2. Dec 28, 2010
    Cave Story is fun, satisfying, well designed and, in its best moments, amazingly exciting. It has some flaws, but in general it reminds us how an action game should be done, and this one for Wiiware is surely the best version published.
  3. Dec 27, 2010
    A title that is both retro and refreshing and ever so polished, Cave Story is not to be missed by anybody.