Cave Story Wii

8.8

1. TimH
    Mar 27, 2010
    I don't usually give out lenient scores like this but I enjoyed Cave Story so much that I almost feel obligated to give it a 10. First off, the graphics are what drew me in. yes, they are in the old NES style, however the way they used the colors and designs really are interesting. Second, the musical score is absolutely fantastic. I've found myself humming the tunes to myself I don't usually give out lenient scores like this but I enjoyed Cave Story so much that I almost feel obligated to give it a 10. First off, the graphics are what drew me in. yes, they are in the old NES style, however the way they used the colors and designs really are interesting. Second, the musical score is absolutely fantastic. I've found myself humming the tunes to myself many times. Another positive is that unlike in most games today the difficulty is up there. If you make it through the normal ending (There are 3 BTW, bad, normal, secret) you might say to yourself "hmm... that wasn't THAT bad", I said the same thing. Afterward though, I found out that there was an even better ending. lemme tell ya, not easy. First you have to go through the game making certain requirements that make things a bit harder. It's the final secret level that takes the cake though. Several enemies and obstacles, and a few boss fights with NO HEALING BLOCKS OR SAVES. yeah... I died a lot XD. Through all this I thought that I would get really frustrated, and I did, to an extent. It could just be me, or it could be some sort of effect from the game but I actually started to get more determined than frustrated. Another quality is the story. Believe it or not, it is actually kinda good. You wouldn't think it would be all that great, being made in reference to the retro days, but it is a lot more involving than most of the classics, not to mention quiet a bit darker. I also found myself caring about the characters. I felt a bit remorseful if something bad happened and very happy when things worked out well for them. Oh yeah, before I forget, One of my new favorite Video game characters is Curly Brace (She's so cute!). The game play is very fun as well. The weapons, the upgrades, and just exploring the world and fighting the enemies are all very satisfying. There are some pretty epic boss fights too. I really like how they used the leveling system with the weapons.You can gain levels by collecting these gold triangles that enemies drop, however if you get hurt not only do you lose health, but weapon experience as well. The game has a good collection of extras as well. You can go through a boss rush mode, where you try to beat all the bosses as fast as possible, a mode where you can try to speed run through the final secret level, and a mode where you can play through the story as Curly Brace (who is still cute btw). I beleive these extra modes are unlocked once you've beat the game (any ending) once but I could be wrong. Curly Brace mode is a bit disappointing, as the only difference between it and the normal story mode is that your character looks different and there's a few changes to the dialog and some extra dialog. I had fun with it anyway, as it's a game that should be revisited a few times if not more. I'd say it will probably take around 5-10 hours your first time through. It may sound expensive at 1200 Wii points ($12) but considering all the content in it it is well worth it. Some may say, "why buy it if I can lay the freeware version for free". well the reason is that the graphics, sound, and translation have all been revamped with some nice added on features (And for all you purists out there, You can switch between the new and original art styles and audio). Also the fact that one guy did most of the work and that it's evident that he put a lot of love into making the game helps too. Overall It's a fantastic game that, if you give it the chance, you will most likely fall in love with it. BTW sorry if this is a bit long. Collapse
  2. AlfredoP.
    Mar 29, 2010
    I've played the original, Pixel made a Masterpiece, everything, The Sprites, The Music, The Story, Alternate Endings, The Hell!, sincerely, My Favorite Game Ever, hoping this on PS3.
  3. AlexT
    Mar 30, 2010
    Definitely a great game, but it's the same great game I've been playing for six years. Hard to reccomend that people pay for a port of a free game, especially when that port doesn't add much. Graphics, sound, music, controls, level design etc, this game's got it all, but it's available for free on PC. The additions are superficial, and not really beneficial to the Definitely a great game, but it's the same great game I've been playing for six years. Hard to reccomend that people pay for a port of a free game, especially when that port doesn't add much. Graphics, sound, music, controls, level design etc, this game's got it all, but it's available for free on PC. The additions are superficial, and not really beneficial to the game's experience, and the price point is a little high. Expand
  4. DeigoR.
    Mar 30, 2010
    Man... I love Cave Story. In fact, I'd say it's one of the greatest video games ever made. But the PC version just pisses on the Wiiware release. The Wii edition is so bad, that it's almost an insult. The new music doesn't even have drum tracks, or work properly for that matter. Instruments come in late... audio glitches galore. Also, I honestly can't see that Man... I love Cave Story. In fact, I'd say it's one of the greatest video games ever made. But the PC version just pisses on the Wiiware release. The Wii edition is so bad, that it's almost an insult. The new music doesn't even have drum tracks, or work properly for that matter. Instruments come in late... audio glitches galore. Also, I honestly can't see that much difference between the older vs the newer graphics either. In fact I'd even go so far as to say the old graphics are much easier on the eyes. Also music doesn't even loop properly! In short, this is an inferior version. I'd avoid it like the plague until they fix the glaring issues, and get the PC version instead. Expand
  5. SHODAN
    Mar 24, 2010
    Now, this could easily be because of fanboy bias and high expectations, but I found the Wii remake to be a little unpolished. I thought the new music was unenjoyable on the most part, and there were odd music loop glitches when using the original music (like Grasstown looping early and shorter songs pausing before looping). Also, it could be just because I'm a bit biased, but the new Now, this could easily be because of fanboy bias and high expectations, but I found the Wii remake to be a little unpolished. I thought the new music was unenjoyable on the most part, and there were odd music loop glitches when using the original music (like Grasstown looping early and shorter songs pausing before looping). Also, it could be just because I'm a bit biased, but the new translation bothered me quite a bit (I miss Balrog's "HUZZAH!"). Despite these problems, though, the remake has its ups. Pixel's distinct pixel art style has always been amazing, and the new graphics of the game do not dissapoint. The new modes are also very fun, especially the Boss Rush Mode. All in all, the remake is worth it (especially if you have never played the game before), but it's issues will be apparent to fans of the original. Expand
  6. Kalos
    Mar 22, 2010
    The game itself is excellent, and a faithful remake to the original. Could have used more new features, though.
  7. HardMan
    Mar 24, 2010
    This game is amazing! the original PC version was good but this one is even better! it has improved sprites and and sound but you can select the older ones if you prefer them over the newer ones, the gameplay and story are solid, the only problem is that some sounds are slightly annoying and the way you're supposed to go isn't very obvious at times definitely worth you Wii points!
  8. AdamW.
    Mar 24, 2010
    Everything about the game brings back precious "old-school" memories. There are many little easter eggs hidden around the game and the gameplay is quite challenging. The bosses are a blast to fight and the story is very good. Overall, it's a great purchase!
  9. AnonYmous
    Mar 25, 2010
    This game is as close to perfection as a 2D platformer can possibly be. If you don't like Cave Story I'm just going to assume you're on of the Halo generation.
  10. Jul 10, 2011
    An inventive mix of RPG, Adventure, Platforming and Shooter? Yes please. Cave Story is one of the most unique games I have played on the Wii and perfectly mixes everything you love about the old school, pixel like games in the past. Great controls, simple but addictive gameplay and a compelling story. Brilliant from beginning to end.
  11. Jan 4, 2011
    I just can repeat here: "Pixel made a Masterpiece" and Nicalis ported it perfectly to WiiWare. I really enjoyed this game very much. Perfect story you easily get suck into, perfect balancing of the weapons , perfect boss fights. Just few highlights from my point of view.
  12. Aug 5, 2011
    Cave Story is a captivating, brilliant, and nearly perfect game! I did have to deduct a few points for the game being free-to-download on PC but not on Wii which makes this version less desirable in that regard.
  13. Jan 15, 2012
    What an awesome game! I actually did not play this on the wii but actually just finished it on the PC but I believe they are essentially identical. I heard it was pretty good so I thought I would give this freeware game a try and I was blown away. It plays like a fabulous game from the NES days. It is pretty challenging with a story and characters that draw you in. It has three differentWhat an awesome game! I actually did not play this on the wii but actually just finished it on the PC but I believe they are essentially identical. I heard it was pretty good so I thought I would give this freeware game a try and I was blown away. It plays like a fabulous game from the NES days. It is pretty challenging with a story and characters that draw you in. It has three different endings and plays similar to the original Metroid but better. Check it our whether on PC, WII, or DS you'll enjoy it. Expand
  14. Sep 4, 2011
    This had gotta be one of the best wiiware titles out there. Despite its expensive price tag, this game offers unique game play and a great storyline to go along with it. This game is not too easy, but not to hard at the same time, although the game can get a little frustrating (especially towards the end). I also liked how there were 3 different endings (bad, normal, good), and they wereThis had gotta be one of the best wiiware titles out there. Despite its expensive price tag, this game offers unique game play and a great storyline to go along with it. This game is not too easy, but not to hard at the same time, although the game can get a little frustrating (especially towards the end). I also liked how there were 3 different endings (bad, normal, good), and they were set up in such a way that you could see all 3 of them. Expand
  15. Sep 7, 2011
    OKAY THIS IS TE BEST GAME EVER OF ALL TIME YEAH.
    Srsly.
    OKAY THIS IS TE BEST GAME EVER OF ALL TIME YEAH.
    Srsly.
    The graphics, CLASSIC audio, not the new, and gameplay charm is the ultimate game of all time. I love this game so much and the only game that competes with it is zack and wiki for the wii. YOU must get this on pc, for free, or this better graphics, worse music, more unlockables and game modes for 1000 wii points, which is 7 pounds. GET IT NOW!!

+All graphics
    +Classic Music
    +Ultimate charm
    +Mega story and characters
    -AND alternate endings!!!!

100%
  16. Nov 27, 2011
    What platformers were invented for. The simple fact that this was entirely the work of one person, makes it an instant classic, and a well deserved 10.
  17. Dec 25, 2011
    An indie masterpiece. A must have on Wii Ware. If you are a fan of classic style games this is one adventure you do not want to pass up on. I do recommend to play it with the classic music though, the new music has no flare. This game has a massive replay value as it is filled with alternate endings, a variety of weapons, multiple game modes and a bonus stage for anybody that has theAn indie masterpiece. A must have on Wii Ware. If you are a fan of classic style games this is one adventure you do not want to pass up on. I do recommend to play it with the classic music though, the new music has no flare. This game has a massive replay value as it is filled with alternate endings, a variety of weapons, multiple game modes and a bonus stage for anybody that has the gaming prowess to reach it. Expand
  18. Feb 22, 2012
    Like Metroid, but fun. A wonderful 2D platformer-shooter with a focus on exploration. As a lifelong Mario fanatic, platformers that involve shooting aren't usually my cup of tea, but this one way just pure fun throughout. I highly recommend it. :)
  19. Apr 3, 2012
    An absolutely gem, people who don't appreciate this game can climb a wall of dicks. Seriously you can just feel that Pixel (the maker of this game) spent 5 years making it. This game is the best indie game ever ánd one of the best games of the last century.
  20. Jul 19, 2013
    Incredibly charming, inspiring, and intuitive. The graphics are retro and simplistic. The music is extremely catchy and memorable, the main theme in particular. The gameplay is enjoyable and familiar. The gameplay (let alone the entire game itself) is more or less a throwback to old NES titles such a Metroid and Megaman. Gameplay almost never feels repetitive, unless the area drags on orIncredibly charming, inspiring, and intuitive. The graphics are retro and simplistic. The music is extremely catchy and memorable, the main theme in particular. The gameplay is enjoyable and familiar. The gameplay (let alone the entire game itself) is more or less a throwback to old NES titles such a Metroid and Megaman. Gameplay almost never feels repetitive, unless the area drags on or barely introduces something new. The weapons are all interesting, and the incorporation of a weapon-level system is brilliant. Each area feels relevant to the story, is littered with secrets and upgrades, and more often than not introduces a new weapon or mechanic. The level design is simplistic, but adequate. However, I feel that without the strong presence of story and hilarious writing, the gameplay and design would be nothing special. The story is omnipresent, likable, and surprisingly emotional for admittedly childish subject matter. The majority of the characters are incredibly charming. This game is fantastic, however, it is far from perfect. Some of the areas do tend to feel like filler, and if you are playing for a long time, the gameplay will get repetitive. This game heavily relies on the use of save points, so saving at any given time is always recommended. This does not bode well with the game's extreme difficulty. The game gets very hard very fast. The intense difficulty in conjunction with scarce save points makes failure become incredibly frustrating, as you often are forced to replay large portions of the game that are also painstakingly difficult. Rage-quitting is inevitable if you intend to complete this game 100%. This game features a lot of choices, for better or for worse. It works in terms of weapons, but not in terms of endings. Particularly the "best" ending. In order to get the best possible ending, you have to get all the best weapons, make sure certain characters don't die, and get all the obtainable health and missile upgrades. Once that is done, the final area of the game becomes excruciatingly difficult. Normally, the final area is four incredibly challenging bosses that get progressively difficult up to the forth and final boss. To get the best ending, you complete that same boss rush, only afterwards you have to complete a "hell level" and four more near-impossibly difficult bosses. Even if you manage to do all that, there's no real payoff to getting the best ending. Only play Cave Story for the "good" ending, for the sake of your sanity and patience. Even though completing the game to it's fullest is near impossible, Cave Story opened the doors for indie games and proved that one man can create a wonderful video game experience that rivals some of the triple A games in the modern market. Expand
  21. May 21, 2014
    This game is soo good, it's kind of hard to know where to start. This game was a master piece, and made by one person in the original version. Incredible. If I had to tell every thing I love about the game, I would exceed my character limit, so let me keep it short and sweet. I didn't know a 2d platform shooter rpg could have such entertaining, I was fun and challenging. The plot was alsoThis game is soo good, it's kind of hard to know where to start. This game was a master piece, and made by one person in the original version. Incredible. If I had to tell every thing I love about the game, I would exceed my character limit, so let me keep it short and sweet. I didn't know a 2d platform shooter rpg could have such entertaining, I was fun and challenging. The plot was also solid and very well made. God, this was a great game. Boss battles were soo much fun. (except for monster X, that boss fight was an a**, this game might give you the rage of a megaman game, sorry be warned, this is not an easy game, especially if you're going for the best ending. It helps if you save a lot however. My only complaints are, 1. I hated the fetch quest in the bushland. 2. It is very un obvious how to get the best ending.

My final comments, get the game. You will love it, there is so much to love about it. Though, you may be saving and dieing quite a bit. This game is sooo much fun, and is a masterpiece when you include the plot and likable characters. Now keep calm, and shoot on.

1. Jan 1, 2011
    A love-letter to any gamer who plays for the sheer fun of it. Cave Story is not only the likely WiiWare game of the year, it's also a very serious contender for game of the year.
  2. Dec 28, 2010
    Cave Story is fun, satisfying, well designed and, in its best moments, amazingly exciting. It has some flaws, but in general it reminds us how an action game should be done, and this one for Wiiware is surely the best version published.
  3. Dec 27, 2010
    A title that is both retro and refreshing and ever so polished, Cave Story is not to be missed by anybody.