de Blob Wii

8.6

1. Mar 20, 2016
    I decided to play de Blob this early Spring season in relevance to the invocation of Spring. I remember playing the first level with a friend about eight years ago and I really loved it. I found this game again a few months ago and bought it to call it my own, and I think I was proud that I chose to play this again...

First off, de Blob is a third-party Wii game published by THQ and

First off, de Blob is a third-party Wii game published by THQ and developed by Blue Tongue. The plot of the game takes place in a world called Raydia inhabited by Raydians. Most of the action comes from "Chroma City", a colorful and bright populated capitol of Raydia. Then came alien invaders called "INKT" which consists of a horde of pitch-black beings led by Comrade Black who wants to steal all the color of Chroma City. Now it's up to an agile Raydian named Blob. To restore color to the world with the help of a special resistance called Color Underground. I really love the idea of the story, and that's why I picked this game to play.

In the game, you play as Blob and you are supposed to re-color buildings and fix conflicts to proceed through levels. There are "Paint-bots" which are filled with colored paint which can change the color of Blob to paint whatever color he is. They come in the three primary colors, and can even be mixed to secondary colors with multiple unique paint-bots. But you have a specific health meter that increases when you attain paint, but slowly goes down when you use it. There are also minions of INKT that attack with ink to turn Blob black. When black, he loses paint. When the paint meter is at zero, he loses a life. So make sure you are at a sufficient amount of paint.

Now for the levels, there are ten long levels in the game, each with their own modes and bonus levels if you get a Silver or Gold rank from beating them. In each level, you are timed. I have never let the time run out, but I assume you have to start the level over if time runs out. But that is one of the least of your worries, as if you resolve problems in levels, such as painting specific items or completing challenges, you can get many time bonuses to add to the time limit. Moving on, each level has several "Sectors" and in most cases, you must gain enough "Paint Points" to open a gate to the next sector. You can get Paint Points for painting buildings and clearing challenges. This is pretty much how every level is in the game.

Now let's get to the good stuff before I begin nitpicking, first off, the style and presentation of the game is possibly the best I have seen in a nostalgic Wii game like de Blob. The art style is great, the story is great, and I love all the cute names and designs of characters and areas.

But the music though, I'm pretty sure it's the focal point of what made this game overwhelmingly great. This game has some of the best music I have heard in a video game. During gameplay, while you color the world, the music slowly gets bigger and bigger. At the start of each level, there is no music, but as you progress through, it gets bright and exciting. The music has been programmed so well that I had a blasted good time jamming to it as I was playing. My favorite music came from the Chroma Dam because it was so happy and full of energy, especially when Spring is on its way as I'm typing this review. Music is outstanding in this game! I NEED MP3'S OF THESE MASTERPIECES

Okay, now for the things I hate about the game. But just because I'm saying these, doesn't mean this game is crap, look at what I just wrote above! First off, the platforming controls are pretty wonky. Usually when I'm trying to jump from platform to platform, it feels like I'm keeping a marble on a flat board. It usually takes me 10-40 seconds to get a few meters of jumping distance correctly if that's the case.

The second thing, the levels are long and I'm not really a big fan of them, as they can be rather tedious. And that's how it was later in the game. The game was slowly becoming tiring for me when I kept playing it. Although the graphics and music are nice, the game doesn't really keep me on the TV for hours, compared to my time playing Geometry Dash, where that game too is colorful and has great music. I could only play two levels at a time and then take a break before I move on.

But other than that, this game is amazing for a third-party game. The gameplay concepts are like nothing I have seen in a regular platformer. I'm finding this the most original third-party Wii game I have played. And the music is so well done, that I could replay levels to go all DJ as I play the game. Haha. Controls and level length is partially blurry, but overall, this game is a pass! I'll give de Blob 2 a shot one day if I can find it for an appropriate system.

STORY - 9/10
    PRESENTATION - 10/10
    GAMEPLAY - 7/10
    VALUE (As per Amazon.com) - 8/10
    OVERALL - 9/10
  2. May 29, 2015
    The Good: Riveting plot/premise, accessible to all ages; strong art direction; unprecedent use of dynamic music

The Bad: Tacky jumping controls x unpredictable camera = leaps of faith; no checkpoints Much like modern Pixar/Dreamworks animation movies de Blob has something for everyone. It may look/sound silly for a hasty observer, but adults can quickly relate to the INKT army and

Much like modern Pixar/Dreamworks animation movies de Blob has something for everyone. It may look/sound silly for a hasty observer, but adults can quickly relate to the INKT army and their Hitler-ish leader invading a colorful country to steal their colors--and pretty much their citizens' lives alongside it.

The setting allows CG movies to shine throughout the game, but not only that; from the stances of the heroes/enemies to the comics-alike loading screens everything in the game is permeated by an undeniably strong sense of place and character--merits of a cohese and thoughtful art direction.

Gameplay-wise de Blob offers city-sized playgrounds for a player willing to explore and make a mess out of them. The objective is to take paint back from evil robots spread around a given location and return the cities to their former glory--the more colorful the better. Once certain score thresholds are reached new areas will be unlocked until you can move on for good and call it a day--at least for story's sake, since you can always get back to a level in the free modes that start to become available as you advance in the main one.

Inside those levels allies will propose a decent variety of challenges--follow a trail within a time limit, paint a whole block a given color, smash a group of enemies or reclaiming a big landmark, for instance--that will mostly lead you naturally towards the aforementioned score thresholds; but the cities being so huge and so inviting to exploration only makes the lack of checkpoints a more evident problem, since at times you can even get past the 2-hour mark to get a level done.

Gameplay can also be hurt by the camera x jumping issue that plagues almost every 3D platformer since the genre's very beginnings. A homing button helps that a little but it can become a real pain in tricky sections or when you're doing timed objectives.

Goods and bads aside the game really sets itself apart of other peers--and pretty much any other game for that matter--in sound design. The music themes are vivid, the real-life band that executes 'em make them shine even brighter but it digs deeper in: dynamic sound design is simply unprecedent here. Each instrument is tied to a color; and for each theme (and each dynamic instrument) hundreds of improvisation cues were recorded. The in-game result is a delight: as you paint the landscape a choosen color the related musician "starts improvising" over the visual changes you're causing. As soon as you switch colors--or mix another to get a third one--the "musician" changes on the fly, lending the soundtrack a neverending row of possibilities and paying a proper tribute to how a funky/jazzy live band should always sound. The cover percentage of an area also tops new layers of music over the minimalistic arrangements that throw you into the level by the beginning, coming to a full bloom by the climax endings and creating yet another attachment with the presentation overall.

If judged by the tight platformers guide de Blob can't be taken too seriously; but maybe that's just the wrong way to look at it. It has much more to offer to be simplified by inadequate meters.
  3. Mar 12, 2015
    The story is simple you just fight the camarade black before the uncolors the whole planet but still 100/100 would still wait on De blob 3 to come out
  4. Mar 11, 2012
    One of the first games I got on the wii, back when it first came out, and it still is one of the best I have played. This game had a very unique and clever feel to it; the controls were smooth; the characters and visuals were stunning; and the overall gameplay was just outstanding!
    The Multiplayer was also extremely fun, mashing it up with up to 4 friends in a street-splatter fest. And, it just never seemed to get old.
    Two things this game could have improved on, was the story and variety of each level. Other than that, this game is really enjoyable, and probably one of the best games on the Wii
  5. Nov 6, 2010
    super creative and super original but is it super good? well no but it is good and on occasion it is very very good but this ride has its lows and its high points. It gets repetitive at times but overall it is a very fun and creative ride that you should take. The game is a lot of fun and it even has a multiplayer that seems fun but nobody i know played this game or had any interest insuper creative and super original but is it super good? well no but it is good and on occasion it is very very good but this ride has its lows and its high points. It gets repetitive at times but overall it is a very fun and creative ride that you should take. The game is a lot of fun and it even has a multiplayer that seems fun but nobody i know played this game or had any interest in playing it so i don't know if it is good or not. The single player campaign is good during its roughly 15 hours playthrough. Expand
  6. Aug 23, 2010
    While the gameplay, dissapointingly, remains virtually unchanged throughout the game, it is a very good game, so ou won't really mind. One of the better Wii games, it's very innovative to begin with, but the un varied locations bore, the fantastic and, ahem, colourful gameplay shines through.
  7. JonathanCarrier
    Aug 6, 2009
    De Blob is great. It has the right amount of game play and challenge. The graphics are colorful, the music is great, the multiplayer is fun. My only problem is that you can't use the A button to jump and the missions such as paint this landmark or beat these many Inkt soldiers or paint this many trees does get boring after awhile. Other than that it's a great game
  8. BarneeB
    Jan 1, 2009
    One of the best games on the system. It's not just for kids, dont let be fooled by the charming visuals! Funny story, beautiful graphics, easy gameplay, but there's some depth to it as well. My only gripe about is the repetitive mission types, but even with that it's one of the most polished games I've played. I think we should all support games like this!! Developers One of the best games on the system. It's not just for kids, dont let be fooled by the charming visuals! Funny story, beautiful graphics, easy gameplay, but there's some depth to it as well. My only gripe about is the repetitive mission types, but even with that it's one of the most polished games I've played. I think we should all support games like this!! Developers take note!!! Expand
  9. DJT
    Nov 20, 2008
    I like to group this type of game in with boom blox, or elebits - it's one of these "harmless" type fun for everyone type game where the object is to add color back to a world that has been turned gray by evil forces. It's a fun game. The controls are good - i'm a little hesitant so say there's a lot of replay, but it's a fun concept and worth keeping in your I like to group this type of game in with boom blox, or elebits - it's one of these "harmless" type fun for everyone type game where the object is to add color back to a world that has been turned gray by evil forces. It's a fun game. The controls are good - i'm a little hesitant so say there's a lot of replay, but it's a fun concept and worth keeping in your collection to pick up from time to time. There's a bit to unlock, and the ability to go back and play the levels in different modes, adds a little extra life to the title. Pick it up used at Gamestop - if you hate it, hey, return it in 7 days. Expand
  10. RubendeDios
    Nov 13, 2008
    What a game, It is one of the most addictive games a have played lately. And is as good for hardcore games as for casual gamers too. Incredible grafics, responsive controls, Ass easy or hard as you want, and plenty of replay valeue. I am in love wih it's escetics. Only Flow a dodgy camera.
  11. RG
    Oct 15, 2008
    One of the most overrated games of our time. Basically, your blob jumps around to either paint buildings or kill enemies. No depth or varied gameplay. It is the electronic equivalent of Tom Sawyer tricking you into whitewashing his fence.
  12. TheDiPY
    Sep 29, 2008
    What an amazing game! It looks brilliant, especially in ED. The music is also great to listen to, especially as it changes as you paint things. There's also plenty to do and loads of secrets to uncover. I've been waiting for a decent Wii game for a while now, and I think I've finally found one!
  13. DanA.
    Sep 23, 2008
    This is quite easily the best Wii game since Wario: Land Shake It, but the first one worth buying since way back when Boom Blox/Mario Kart Wii came around, and in an arguable case, it's better than both. Well, definitely better than MKWii, but it's if anything equal to or slightly below Boom Blox. de Blob is unique, and it's something that benefits most from Wii hardware, This is quite easily the best Wii game since Wario: Land Shake It, but the first one worth buying since way back when Boom Blox/Mario Kart Wii came around, and in an arguable case, it's better than both. Well, definitely better than MKWii, but it's if anything equal to or slightly below Boom Blox. de Blob is unique, and it's something that benefits most from Wii hardware, and I think that's why so many great Wii games like this are coming from left field. On the PS2, de Blob would be a mediocre game with very little appeal, but with the Wii's controls and setup, it's a great experience. I felt the same way about Boom Blox. It never would've worked anywhere else but the Wii. de Blob is a must-have for Wii owners. The system's only got about 10-15 truly great games, and even less that you can't get on another console in better quality. So, do yourself a favor, and when a great exclusive, no matter how weird or not your style comes around, buy it. Support the movement. Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2012

#29 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#39 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. The title has some great ideas and produces a great, relaxed atmosphere. The game is missing the most important element to a game: the gameplay. [Oct 2008, p.105]
  2. Nintendo Power
    Admittedly, there's not a ton of variety (there are only four basic mission types), but it remains fun throughout thanks to extremely polished controls, visuals, and music, as well as a surprisingly cool (and funny) story. [Nov 2008, p.98]
    I think de Blob is one of the best third-party efforts to come over to Wii in a long time. This is a fun, stylized 3D platformer that oozes atmosphere and shines with amazingly slick presentation and polish.