6.8

1. Dec 2, 2010
    Epic Mickey was a complete disappointment.

The world is drab. It has no character. The Npc's you run into have boring dialogue, and everyone shares the same personalities. It's not even up to the standards of today's Mickey (Clubhouse Mickey). To try to say this is honoring the Mickey of days past is insulting to my memories of Mickey.

As for the game play. While the paint/thinner
    concept was interesting, the application fell flat on it's face. It is limited in function, a few spots on the walls, a few objects, but mostly limited to quest specific obstacles and puzzles. As one of the key features of the game that they have been hyping for the past year, I was expecting it to have a much wider role in the game.

The camera was unforgivable. Not only was there noticeable lag in the control of the camera, the controls were clunky, and it didn't always remain with Mickey. To add to the difficulty, If you destroy a bridge with thinner while doing something else, you will occasionally have difficulty in crossing, as the camera, and line of sight of the brush, will not allow you to paint the far side of the bridge, without some clever control gymnastics.

The text used was horrible. Even standing next to the television the text was difficult to make out, and gave me a headache after the first half hour of game play.

It is rated E for everyone, but if your child can't read, there is little to no guidance as to what you need to do, so you will need to be on had to read things for them, and since the npc's will not always wait for confirmation before going on you will need to be on your toes.

Normally I wouldn't include the manual in a review, but this one is pathetically small. 3-4 pages, that don't really give much information, not even mentioning that the game auto saves, or how to tell when it does. (I think it is the Mickey icon that pops up in the top left corner, but I could be wrong.)
  2. Mar 29, 2011
    Epic Mickey is nothing more than a few good ideas thrown into a sub-par platformer. Even with the vast catalogue of characters Disney has to offer, the world still seems really flat and uninspired. Pair this with the poor platforming controls, the wonky camera, and the over-simplified paint/thinner puzzles, and you have a bad game. The best part of Epic Mickey is the concept art, which shows us that this game could have had a cool style if taken to a slightly different direction. Expand
  3. Dec 22, 2010
    The game is very below average. Upon introduction the basic gameplay seems very promising, but doesn't really evolve past what you have done 2 hours ago when you booted the game. The repetitive gameplay makes the game feel much longer [in a bad way] and is really wasted potential. The combat is terrible. The game does not have a lock on feature which results in battles with multiple enemies dragging on much longer than expected. Now the story is so - so and predictable. I mean it's Disney. You know all the loose ends will come together magically in the end after cliched valiant efforts succeed eventually. So one can't really give points for story unless its an RPG which Epic Mickey is not. Now I don't understand why the camera is getting a lot of flack because it certainly does the job and no platformer is without camera flaws. Sure it's not automated. That's why the player must control it while playing to get an optimal view of their surroundings. It shouldn't be a problem if you're a seasoned gamer. Overall EM is just another platformer with a "story" that never gets past run and jump. The create/destroy mechanic doesn't flesh out which leaves you with one bland experience. Expand
  4. SFN
    Jan 6, 2011
    this game is not worth your money, for a game to be hyped up as much as this was and then for it to be disappointing makes me mad and im glad im finallyy done with this game, the plot is ok at best but the camera angels are awfl, the lighting on some parts absolutly sucked and even when i had the brightness on my tv all the way up, the game is just repetive and boring, VERY BORING!! save your money Expand
  5. Mar 25, 2011
    it is stupid with dumb controls and uninspired story. Platformers are usually fun but not this one. You can expect graphics to suck and game to be lam. Big waste of time.DO NOT BUY IT SUCKS.
  6. Nov 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This hardcore, old-school disney fan is sad.

Simply put, it has gorgeous graphics, jarring cut-scenes, has an amazing breadth of classic Disney hat tipping and mixed level design, fleeting and slow interactions, and the tendency to become tedious quickly... I can't give this game (I wanted to love) a good rating. This cold grilled cheese sandwich gets a 3. You can eat it, and might like bits of it, but ultimately... Its not a fresh grilled cheese.

The long of it. I am an avid disney fan. Even more so classic Disney than the run of anything they've done since about 2002 (Pixar withstanding, and we aren't even going to tip the hat to a certain crappy cable channel that nearly sucked the soul of Lilo & Stitch). I salivated and pined for this game. I haven't wanted a game for a video game system so badly in a while, it made me think back to when I was in 9th grade and the Ocarina of Time was coming out for the N64. Eventually I received this game last Christmas (yay) and booted it up within the week (I manag a household and am a professional Designer, believe me this was a quick turn around). I started the game was immediately amazed at the graphical prowess they'd achieved on the Wii and how cute the simple story was that began the adventure. Within the first hour you're treated to cut scenes (which look like they were done in flash... why the juxtaposition? I really couldn't tell you) and a tutorial on how to use 95% of the game's mechanics. From there.... they really don't change much. Certain bad guys have certain ways that make it easier to beat them, but for the better part you paint, you thin, and you twirl. If you're expecting growth beyond this? You're going to be rather sad as there's about 20-40 hours (depending on how thorough you want to be) of the paint, thin, twirl ahead of you . I should mention that there are several "moral exercises" throughout the game that don't seem to have a great impact on the primary story. But constantly running though certain side scrolling platformers (again and again), using your paint, thin, twirl technique and deciding whether or not you care whether a Pirate can get a date with a recycled NPC skin for Gladys the Cow... Makes for a rather thinner (ha!) gaming experience than I would care for. From an opinion stand-point. If I cared for the characters? Then maybe this game would have some re-playable aspect to it... But as I appreciate all the effort they put into the graphics, they might have wanted to spend some more time figure out the gameplay and story. You gotta keep folks engaged! Imagine being able to upgrade your brush to paint huge swaths of paint and thinner. Or even drop paint/thinner bombs. Or paint weapons for yourself... or I dunno, just ANYTHING would have made it less boring.

Ultimately I give this a 3 because even if it is boring, its consistent. The gameplay graphics are gorgeous, the cutscenes obnoxious, the gameplay passable as a nascent interaction scheme, and the main story is solid if not painfully predictable... Its playable, but who'd want to? This hardcore, old-school disney fan is sad.

1. Feb 8, 2011
    A fantastic historical / interactive / playable document and sometimes irregular, expressed in its good and bad moments.
  2. Feb 6, 2011
    Clumsy design holds it back from true greatness. [Christmas 2010, p.46]
  3. Jan 31, 2011
    Its reach exceeds its grasp, but at least Disney Epic Mickey is reaching. Occasionally it brushes its fingertips up against something amazing that might have been.