6.8

1. Nov 30, 2010
    Did this title live up to the hype? No. Let's get that out of the way. Epic Mickey, however, succeeds on many levels. It succeeds in doing what many dragged out franchises have failed to do. Make you care about the characters. While I realize that Disney isn't exactly the Video game exclusive, the creators of Epic Mickey have succeeded in telling a fairly original story that helps youngerDid this title live up to the hype? No. Let's get that out of the way. Epic Mickey, however, succeeds on many levels. It succeeds in doing what many dragged out franchises have failed to do. Make you care about the characters. While I realize that Disney isn't exactly the Video game exclusive, the creators of Epic Mickey have succeeded in telling a fairly original story that helps younger generations familiarize themselves with the origin and history of Disney and the many forgotten characters from the golden era of cartoons.

While the story delivers, the game play is where Epic Mickey loses 1 point from a perfect 10. As noted is many reviews, the camera may pose a problem to some players. I was readily spamming the "C" button to avoid such camera chaos, so the camera was forgivable. A somewhat clunky aiming system is also a minor setback in the game. Neither of these small problems, in my opinion, warrant the harsh criticisms many of the reviewers have had on this title.

I feel that Epic Mickey succeeds in visuals and audio as well. A well balanced (although somewhat repetitive) soundtrack tags along on the wonderful journey in Epic Mickey. The only gripe about the audio is the fact that there is no spoken dialogue - just subtitles and cartoon gibberish. The visuals, though dated and to be expected on the Wii, work very well for the obvious cartoon styled graphics. The framerate suffers at times, and the character models suffer from some pretty rough "jaggies", even running the Wii through component cables.

I don't normally write reviews, but I had been looking forward to this game since it was announced, and have gladly come to say that this title has brought my Wii back to life for the time being - and I urge people not to latch onto seemingly mindless critics harping on very minor issues.

Epic Mickey is a blast. Sure it could've been more, but I feel this game succeeds on all of the right levels. Will the 6-12 yr old demographic enjoy it? I think they will, even if they don't understand the context of many of the characters (the game does a superb job of simplifying the origins of the "forgotten characters"). The game play is solid and interesting enough to warrant a purchase from parents for their kids. I do think that this game will be most enjoyed die hard disney fans, since this game pays tribute to classic Disney more than it does current Disney brands.

Some will moan and complain that the lack of familiarity with characters will cause people to lose interest. I don't think it will.

Check it out.
  2. Dec 1, 2010
    The ideas at play in Epic Mickey are extremely intriguing and attractive, however, the execution is sub-par for a game this generation. The controls and camera are sluggish and take the joy out of the platforming. Generic enemy and level design also plague this title. This game was highly anticipated and I can't feel slightly disappointed by the finished product. This is a missedThe ideas at play in Epic Mickey are extremely intriguing and attractive, however, the execution is sub-par for a game this generation. The controls and camera are sluggish and take the joy out of the platforming. Generic enemy and level design also plague this title. This game was highly anticipated and I can't feel slightly disappointed by the finished product. This is a missed opportunity by Junction Point and Disney to make a really exciting product that can both introduce Mickey Mouse to a new generation and provide a quality licensed title. Epic Mickey is enjoyable at times, but getting through the tedious segments of the game is incredibly taxing. Expand
  3. Dec 2, 2010
    Epic Mickey was a complete disappointment.

The world is drab. It has no character. The Npc's you run into have boring dialogue, and everyone shares the same personalities. It's not even up to the standards of today's Mickey (Clubhouse Mickey). To try to say this is honoring the Mickey of days past is insulting to my memories of Mickey. As for the game play. While the paint/thinner
    Epic Mickey was a complete disappointment.

As for the game play. While the paint/thinner concept was interesting, the application fell flat on it's face. It is limited in function, a few spots on the walls, a few objects, but mostly limited to quest specific obstacles and puzzles. As one of the key features of the game that they have been hyping for the past year, I was expecting it to have a much wider role in the game.

The camera was unforgivable. Not only was there noticeable lag in the control of the camera, the controls were clunky, and it didn't always remain with Mickey. To add to the difficulty, If you destroy a bridge with thinner while doing something else, you will occasionally have difficulty in crossing, as the camera, and line of sight of the brush, will not allow you to paint the far side of the bridge, without some clever control gymnastics.

The text used was horrible. Even standing next to the television the text was difficult to make out, and gave me a headache after the first half hour of game play.

It is rated E for everyone, but if your child can't read, there is little to no guidance as to what you need to do, so you will need to be on had to read things for them, and since the npc's will not always wait for confirmation before going on you will need to be on your toes.

Normally I wouldn't include the manual in a review, but this one is pathetically small. 3-4 pages, that don't really give much information, not even mentioning that the game auto saves, or how to tell when it does. (I think it is the Mickey icon that pops up in the top left corner, but I could be wrong.)
  4. Dec 3, 2010
    I don't understand why all the hardcore "gamerz" out there believe this title should have been made only for them. My kids love the game and have enjoyed it tremendously. Maybe they aren't trying to be journalists and sound important on the internet for all the other nerds. I'm very happy with my children's enjoyment of this game and I trust Disney. The end.
  5. Mar 29, 2011
    Epic Mickey is nothing more than a few good ideas thrown into a sub-par platformer. Even with the vast catalogue of characters Disney has to offer, the world still seems really flat and uninspired. Pair this with the poor platforming controls, the wonky camera, and the over-simplified paint/thinner puzzles, and you have a bad game. The best part of Epic Mickey is the concept art, whichEpic Mickey is nothing more than a few good ideas thrown into a sub-par platformer. Even with the vast catalogue of characters Disney has to offer, the world still seems really flat and uninspired. Pair this with the poor platforming controls, the wonky camera, and the over-simplified paint/thinner puzzles, and you have a bad game. The best part of Epic Mickey is the concept art, which shows us that this game could have had a cool style if taken to a slightly different direction. Expand
  6. Dec 30, 2010
    i am half way though the game. wow! Hard work! But it is so fun! lots of paint! green and blue! there is even a world of forgotten charachters . mickey is brave. There is even an ink monster .
  7. Jan 9, 2011
    Epic Mickey is Disney's best attempt at a global well known game, yet they still haven't hit the nail on the head. Whilst what has been introduced is new and attractive, the enemies are few and far between, and the concept becomes boring after a while, with only thinner and paint as your weapons.
  8. Dec 6, 2010
    I've had my watchful eye on Epic Mickey since the very first concept art. Seeing all of those Disney landmarks twisted and nightmarish was unbelievably intriguing, and in the proper way too. I tend to love concepts where all the things I've known and loved as a child are ripped out from under me and I'm left to wander around this strange world. And thats exactly what Epic Mickey succeedsI've had my watchful eye on Epic Mickey since the very first concept art. Seeing all of those Disney landmarks twisted and nightmarish was unbelievably intriguing, and in the proper way too. I tend to love concepts where all the things I've known and loved as a child are ripped out from under me and I'm left to wander around this strange world. And thats exactly what Epic Mickey succeeds in, placing you in a world filled with unfamiliar nostalgia in the form of, as quoted by Warren Spector, the game's lead designer, "a platformer game on Wii to rival the efforts of Nintendo's own Mario franchise".

Yeah, you wish, Warren.

Warren Spector is a great storyteller, and is certainly one of the better of today's generation. The story will evoke many emotions from you in ways that really allow you to resonate with the characters and their feelings of sadness, hopelessness and despair. The environment adds a depressing feel that would start to be happy only then to show that your favorite Disneyland attraction has been turned to a demented version of what you remember. And then in comes animatronic Goofy's disembodied head and you start to freak out a little bit. The environemnt and story are all great, but the "legendary" designer needs to remember that while yes, games are growing to be an outstanding medium for storytelling, we also have to PLAY through those stories since they are still video games. The gameplay is the game's Achilles heel. Every ounce of potential for a groundbreaking title completely collapses under the unnecessary baggage that is the sloppy platforming and abysmal camera. Of all the emotions that the game has evoked from me, the one most vibrant in my mind is anger that such a brilliant concept is dismayed by such unbelievable flaws. Warren, you're a very refreshing mind in the industry today, and thankfully Epic Mickey will sell enough to possibly warrent a sequel, and will succeed in bringing Mickey Mouse back to a healthy state of relevance. But you're going to make this game a 3D platformer and screw up the camera, a now-obsolete problem from over 10 years ago? Get it together. Unbelievably disappointing.
  9. Dec 5, 2010
    A lot of wasted potential... Marred mostly by braindead gameplay, laggy controls, and a camera from hell. The story/nostalgia can't salvage it completely while it is endearing. They had it right at the concept art.
  10. Dec 12, 2010
    Great game! Some bugs, but still finishes way above the sea level thanks to constant development, a nice story, good graphics and top notch gameplay. Having said that, the camera system can be a bit annoying at times and the game play doesn't always provide instant gratification, but I'd say... 9
  11. Dec 2, 2010
    A great moment with the family- played it all we with my son and we are hooked! some difficult moments but nothing that could not be solved with google. So happy to share some Mickey moments with the kid...love the mini rabbits too
  12. Dec 9, 2010
    TBH, it's not bad, but it's not great. Comparing this with other platforming games like Kirby's Epic Yarn, this is junk. I do not like how the game is paste, and I feel as I finished more of a filler episode of Kingdom Hearts rather than actually play a solid game. The history addition is alright, but there is no nostalgic moment to it nor is it memorable.
  13. Dec 6, 2010
    I cannot understand how some people can give this game a 10. I'm a big disney fan and I was expecting a lot from this game. And I'm being objective here, the idea is great. The art is sweet and adorable, totally keeping the 'Disney' feel. When I saw the mixed reviews I still went ahead and bought the game, to make an idea of it all myself.

But sadly, the level design isn't too permissive

But sadly, the level design isn't too permissive and the cameras are horrendous resulting of a very frustrating experience. Sure the first few minutes are fine, but if you keep going it gets tedious fast. I was also a tad disappointed of the lack of voice over, sometimes I didn't have the time to read the text and it was gone. And at some point I was so frustrated of not being able to solve a platforming area because of the jumps, I did hand over the controller to my bf and he gave up as well and was pissed off, then his brother tried and same things, gave up and said it was not enough permissive. So to me, it falls flat... No more than a 6/10.
  14. Dec 22, 2010
    The game is very below average. Upon introduction the basic gameplay seems very promising, but doesn't really evolve past what you have done 2 hours ago when you booted the game. The repetitive gameplay makes the game feel much longer [in a bad way] and is really wasted potential. The combat is terrible. The game does not have a lock on feature which results in battles with multipleThe game is very below average. Upon introduction the basic gameplay seems very promising, but doesn't really evolve past what you have done 2 hours ago when you booted the game. The repetitive gameplay makes the game feel much longer [in a bad way] and is really wasted potential. The combat is terrible. The game does not have a lock on feature which results in battles with multiple enemies dragging on much longer than expected. Now the story is so - so and predictable. I mean it's Disney. You know all the loose ends will come together magically in the end after cliched valiant efforts succeed eventually. So one can't really give points for story unless its an RPG which Epic Mickey is not. Now I don't understand why the camera is getting a lot of flack because it certainly does the job and no platformer is without camera flaws. Sure it's not automated. That's why the player must control it while playing to get an optimal view of their surroundings. It shouldn't be a problem if you're a seasoned gamer. Overall EM is just another platformer with a "story" that never gets past run and jump. The create/destroy mechanic doesn't flesh out which leaves you with one bland experience. Expand
  15. Dec 2, 2010
    An awful camera and clunky controls prevent this charming platformer from fulfilling its potential. While the art direction is generally good, it seems that Junction Point has failed to meet the expectations generated from the stunning conceptual artwork. The lack of recorded dialogue is a disappointment as the sound design is, for the most part, impressive. Epic Mickey is a solid game,An awful camera and clunky controls prevent this charming platformer from fulfilling its potential. While the art direction is generally good, it seems that Junction Point has failed to meet the expectations generated from the stunning conceptual artwork. The lack of recorded dialogue is a disappointment as the sound design is, for the most part, impressive. Epic Mickey is a solid game, but I can't shake the feeling that it's incomplete. Expand
  16. Dec 1, 2010
    After playing through this game, easily my most anticipated Wii title of the year, I can say that while it doesn't quite live up to my expectations, it's still an experience that has such an astounding amount of love crafted into it that I can't help but find it a fantastic production, even if it's not as solid as other Wii offerings this year. Classic Disney buffs will probably get a kickAfter playing through this game, easily my most anticipated Wii title of the year, I can say that while it doesn't quite live up to my expectations, it's still an experience that has such an astounding amount of love crafted into it that I can't help but find it a fantastic production, even if it's not as solid as other Wii offerings this year. Classic Disney buffs will probably get a kick out of this game, which sees Mickey going into an alternate world where all the forgotten Disney characters reside, like Horace Horsecollar, Clarabelle Cow, as well as various temporary-incarnations of Pete and numerous others, all led by Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, the original creation of Walt Disney, whose up-and-coming fame was shafted by Mickey Mouse due to legal reasons so many years ago. Having accidentally caused a horrible disaster in the world years prior, Mickey is pulled into the world, where he has to escape while making grand choices that will effect the now devastated plane, now known as "The Wasteland". Choices come heavily into play, as you have access to two different types of materials to affect the world around you: Paint, and Paint Thinner. The former won't always have immediate reward, but will generally benefit you in the long run, and the latter has practically immediate payoff but with often huge consequences, though both are often used in certain puzzles one way or the other. The heavy choices you make are given a surface-level simplicity that most kids won't have too much trouble understanding, but the amount of difference it has on the world and how its' characters treat you can be quite astounding. Another two items in the package that seriously impress are the visual aesthetics of the game, and the wonderful soundtrack within. The world is essentially a macabre version of Disneyland, all its' notable locales twisted beyond recognition at some point, like a barren Main Street or a run-down version of Toontown, and a few new locales, like a mountain made almost entirely of old Mickey memorabilia. All I can say about the orchestrated soundtrack is that it's about on the same level as a great Disney film, and I hope it will be released in a separate package. The one aspect that unfortunately doesn't quite conform to the same quality as the rest is the gameplay, which feels a little bit like something out of the N64 era, with a very spotty camera and quite basic platforming and combat without much variety. There's still enjoyment and fun to be had, if you're willing to put up with a few problems synonymous with antiquated game design, but I'd say the same thing about other heavily-enjoyed Wii games like Super Mario Galaxy or the like. The paint/thinner concept stretches well to some neat gameplay flourishes, no pun intended, like activating and deactivating moving platforms for easier mobility, or the choice between outright eliminating enemies with thinner, or turning them into friends that will help you with your fight by use of paint. There's also a few "sketches", which give you other powers like distracting enemies, summoning anvils for attack from above, or temporarily slowing down time, but besides occasional use, these can feel a little extraneous and unnecessary for the most part. As said, despite its' issues, Epic Mickey has so much to it that should not be forgotten, like a heavily-inspired storyline involving Disney characters that haven't had their due in a long time, a wonderfully and whimsically dark world that will scream to some players to save it and to others to ignore its' existence, a soundtrack that hits all the right notes for a Disney production, and simplifying the concept of grandiose choices to a level where everyone can understand their meaning without beating you over the head with some kind of cheap morality system. It's just a shame that the gameplay isn't quite all there when it needs to be. Regardless, this is an experience that I believe everyone should give a chance, especially those who have a fondness for much of Disney's obscure history. Expand
  17. Dec 1, 2010
    okay soooo epic mickey has an horrible cam...but so what!!! this game is creative and beauitful!! i feel like some people want to hate on this game for no reason and it stupid. im not sure why..but maybe because it's not for 360 and ps3. but anyways this game is wonderful. please don't listen to reviews and have an opinion of your own and try it out!! not all reviews are true!! it's not aokay soooo epic mickey has an horrible cam...but so what!!! this game is creative and beauitful!! i feel like some people want to hate on this game for no reason and it stupid. im not sure why..but maybe because it's not for 360 and ps3. but anyways this game is wonderful. please don't listen to reviews and have an opinion of your own and try it out!! not all reviews are true!! it's not a fact!! people it's just an opinion, so if they don't like it so what!! also this game has been getting ALOT of positive reviews too!! and many problems are cause by the cam!! if it had a wonderful cam..this game will really rock. Expand
  18. HPA
    Dec 2, 2010
    Overall, a fantastic game! Through every minute of playtime I loved the story and all of the Disney history involved. While some of the reviews from critics have bemoaned the fact that Junction Point chose to give a darker tone to the game, I find it to be quite beautiful. Graphically (for a Wii game) it is in that top tier of games. I find myself wanting to play through the game atOverall, a fantastic game! Through every minute of playtime I loved the story and all of the Disney history involved. While some of the reviews from critics have bemoaned the fact that Junction Point chose to give a darker tone to the game, I find it to be quite beautiful. Graphically (for a Wii game) it is in that top tier of games. I find myself wanting to play through the game at least 2-3 more times to further explore wasteland and see how my decisions impact the overall story. First time through, I tried to use the paint mechanic almost exclusively, so I am very intrigued to find out what happens when I do the exact opposite. I manually controlled the camera at all times with the remote's D pad, so I didn't find the camera to be the same problem that some other critics have claimed it to be. Not perfect, but not bad either... I would have preferred that Junction Point allow for classic controller pro set up, but I understand the desire to utilize motion controls on a system such as the Wii. This is a must buy for anyone who loves great characters, great story, beautiful setting and environment, as well as exploration and gameplay choices that impact the way the story unfolds. Expand
  19. Dec 14, 2010
    When I first saw the cover of this game on Game Informer, I was amazed. The cover looks like a goth part of Mickey that I was thinking it would be cool....until I looked in the magazine for game footage's. It didn't look like what I expected it to be, I was thinking that it would look like a dark part like Kingdom Hearts has a little bit. Your just using a paint brush coloring buildings.When I first saw the cover of this game on Game Informer, I was amazed. The cover looks like a goth part of Mickey that I was thinking it would be cool....until I looked in the magazine for game footage's. It didn't look like what I expected it to be, I was thinking that it would look like a dark part like Kingdom Hearts has a little bit. Your just using a paint brush coloring buildings. Might as well just finger paint. I rented the game, and I felt disappointed, my little cousins agree with me (11 yrs. and 9 yrs.). I wish Disney can make this game dark and goth, it would be pretty cool. But, this isn't what I have in mind. Expand
  20. Dec 17, 2010
    Epic Mickey may not be the best game out there for Wii, but it's among the most original. It's extremely challenging and the magic Disney world that has been recreated is much fun to explore and interact with, and the skills of Epic Mickey Mouse are so cool you won't be tired of practising them.
  21. Dec 17, 2010
    Epic! This game is epic guys! You need gotta this game. Buy and play Epic Mickey happy, it's the best game of the our friend the Mickey mouse. Mickey, Disney... CONGRATULATIONS! Good job Disney... good job
  22. Dec 25, 2010
    The game is really cool, but it is so dark. I am scared of a few things and this had a lot of them in there, and i am almost 16 years old, not typical Disney which I love. I love how this game is different and how it has the classic characters :)
  23. Jul 25, 2011
    Definitely for hard core Disney fan for sure, the level design plays solid with nice dimensions. The goofy graphic style is caricaturist. But also feels like a mature version, some creepy presentation is suddenly. Undoubtedly needs to get more sharpened because it isn't for anyone.
  24. Feb 25, 2011
    I'm sorry. I wanted to like this game, I really did, but I had problems with the combat.
    It just took too long. You'd think just one attack would get them, but you have to spray them with a little too much paint or thinner. This game had so much potential. :(
  25. Dec 28, 2012
    El juego, sin ser nada revolucionario, aporta unas buenas tardes junto al televisor. No hay que esperar un título inolvidable, pero lo que da lo hace de manera sincera, y es una buena alternativa para los amantes de las plataformas y de los dibujos clásicos de Disney. Algunas pantallas en 2D (y sus pegadizas melodías), o escenas como las del final, quedan grabadas comoEl juego, sin ser nada revolucionario, aporta unas buenas tardes junto al televisor. No hay que esperar un título inolvidable, pero lo que da lo hace de manera sincera, y es una buena alternativa para los amantes de las plataformas y de los dibujos clásicos de Disney. Algunas pantallas en 2D (y sus pegadizas melodías), o escenas como las del final, quedan grabadas como buenos recuerdos, y eso es síntoma de un buen juego. Expand
  26. Dec 30, 2010
    I had interest in this game since E3 when Warren gave his demostration, and a best word to describe it; Disappointing. Maybe it was partly due to Warren Spector and Junction Point hyping it up every waking moment. But still, the camera is a dodgy can be a right bugger, controls feel really, um, 'tight' and irresponsive, well, in my experience anyway. I also found the actual platforming toI had interest in this game since E3 when Warren gave his demostration, and a best word to describe it; Disappointing. Maybe it was partly due to Warren Spector and Junction Point hyping it up every waking moment. But still, the camera is a dodgy can be a right bugger, controls feel really, um, 'tight' and irresponsive, well, in my experience anyway. I also found the actual platforming to be "average". The paint/thinner mechanic saved it from being a complete disaster. It's stuff you've seen before, very basic and not anything on the level it was hyped to be. But, the characters have good personalities, and Wasteland is really intriguing place to explore. The paint/thinner mechanic is genius and makes for some interesting gameplay. The game has massive depth, with Warren's manifesto "Playstyle matters" couldn't be more true. But, despite this, and offering you plenty of gametime, I felt that you'll only feel good when you make a decision which isn't signposted. If you're a Disney fan then you should give this a try. But approach with caution. Expand
  27. Dec 19, 2010
    I was blown away when I rented this game.(not in a good way) The environments were nice the back ground was good, and mickey looked normal-ish. A good start, then I saw the biggest error the camera. I literally was, so annoyed at first that I wanted to sue Disney. (something I have an urge to do a lot this year cough, Tron)I did finish the game, and it was fun, and long enough with plentyI was blown away when I rented this game.(not in a good way) The environments were nice the back ground was good, and mickey looked normal-ish. A good start, then I saw the biggest error the camera. I literally was, so annoyed at first that I wanted to sue Disney. (something I have an urge to do a lot this year cough, Tron)I did finish the game, and it was fun, and long enough with plenty of references to older Disney cartoons. Sadly after the control issue it may not have been worth it. Sorry Disney that's the last time I play one of your over-hyped games again! Expand
  28. Nov 1, 2013
    If you're a fan of Disney's long and proud history then this game just might be worth your time. It's a great 3D and 2D platformer that pays homage to the Disney stories and characters of old. Mickey is transported to "Wasteland", a place where the forgotten Disney character like Oswald the Lucky Rabbit go to spend the rest of their days. Wasteland is a cool place to explore, because it'sIf you're a fan of Disney's long and proud history then this game just might be worth your time. It's a great 3D and 2D platformer that pays homage to the Disney stories and characters of old. Mickey is transported to "Wasteland", a place where the forgotten Disney character like Oswald the Lucky Rabbit go to spend the rest of their days. Wasteland is a cool place to explore, because it's filled with Disney history and has sort of creepy post-apocolyptic vibe to it. The setting really couldn't be more impressive and it's a heck of a lot of fun to play.

Gameplay is divided up into both 2D and 3D platformer sections. The latter of the two does suffer from some light control and camera issues, but they don't hinder the enjoyment that you'll have with this game much at all. The 2D sections are levels based off of old Disney cartoons like Steamboat Willie. These sections are a nice change of pace from the regular gameplay. There are some issues with the touchy jump controls, but it's no biggie. Aside from some late game difficulty spikes and the occasionally awkward level-design I have no other complaints.

There is a lot of content for players to sink their teeth into. With all of the side-quests and moral choices this game feels part RPG, which is a good thing. You can spend many hours in Wasteland and still have something to do. I really can't think of a reason why Disney fans shouldn't pick this game up. It has got some issues that hold it back from excellence, but it's still a great experience. It's worth playing just for the history lesson alone.
  29. Jan 2, 2011
    As somebody who doesn't read up on upcoming games I am generally unaffected by hype. Going into this game without any preconceptions about what to expect, I found that I walked away with mixed feelings. The worlds are very well crafted although the prominent dark atmosphere can sometimes detract from the world's charm. I found the "2D" sequences to be particularly enjoyable. The keyAs somebody who doesn't read up on upcoming games I am generally unaffected by hype. Going into this game without any preconceptions about what to expect, I found that I walked away with mixed feelings. The worlds are very well crafted although the prominent dark atmosphere can sometimes detract from the world's charm. I found the "2D" sequences to be particularly enjoyable. The key characters command a lot of presence and are very likable and memorable. I understand that in many games of this genre you will find a lot of cookie cutter "extras" to fill in towns and the such and this game is no exception. Fortunately they do not detract from the experience of the game but rather add to it. As many other reviews have pointed out, you might have difficulty enjoying these worlds as the camera can be downright painful at times. The camera becomes fixed at one angle at parts and even though there are mechanics in the game to center the camera on where you are facing, to move the camera around, or to look through Mickey's eyes, most of the time the game will not allow you to use these camera manipulating functions thus resulting in you having to guess where to leap, or wondering what lies just beyond sight. The game flows well but at times the way the quests are arranged feels reminiscent of World Of Warcraft. You must go around and gather 'x' amount of 'y', or go to point 'z' and paint in 'x'...etc. At times it can feel very rinse and repeat and can make the game seem to drag on at times. Now to be clear the game play is not completely boring, or dull and definitely has it's moments. I just found that it wasn't the kind of game that I could just sit down and play for hours and hours on end but needed to be broken up into smaller pieces. Depending on the person you may find yourself playing for an hour before taking a break, or you may be more like my wife who is able to take in around three before forcing herself to take a break. So it really does depend on if you are alright with repetition. (My time playing games like World Of Warcraft may have jaded me towards this kind of game play.) There are some wonderful moments as well but it feels like in between each of these amazing moments that completely engross you there are some definite fillers to extend the length of the game. Overall It is quite enjoyable however. The main mechanic of the game (the paint and thinner aspect) is well executed. I understand the challenges with programming this type of mechanic and I can admire what they did. Whenever you enter an area there are an assortment of objects that are both painted and unpainted. This gives you the choice to either use thinner to erase what has already been painted or to use paint to paint in predetermined objects. It is a little disappointing that the majority of the objects that are modifiable are quest items. I think it would have added a lot to the game to have completely random objects with no definite purpose as an option to paint or erase but that may just be me. I do believe that in some cases the ability to affect the world more dramatically using the paint/thinner mechanic would have been beneficial but that is very much so a personal preference. What they did, they did well and it does contribute to an enjoyable experience with this game. Difficulty is pretty much bang on. You can play through it casually but there are moments that will challenge you. The switch between difficulties is smooth though, not ramping up too quickly and easing you into difficult situations. Some reviewers believe that combat is broken due to the inability to lock on to your target. I see the decision to not include a "lock-on" function as genius. Back in the day there wasn't any "lock-on" feature to make gamers lazy. There are a number of games that do not have this feature yet are completely playable; Monster Hunter Tri comes to mind. Ultimately this comes down to a matter of preference once again and adds to the difficulty of the game. One aspect that I absolutely love is that depending on how you deal with each situation presented to you will have an affect on how the game plays out. The "karma" system as I shall refer to it is leaps and bounds ahead of the system implemented in games such as Fable. A decision can mean the difference between fighting a boss or skipping him altogether. Destructive choices tend to be the easy way out but can be less satisfying, but trying to befriend or save enemies while the more difficult choice can feel more rewarding in the end.

While I would love to give this game a perfect score I just cannot because of the few issues previously mentioned. Epic Mickey is a well made game with excellent promise that falls short primarily on quest delivery and camera execution.
  30. SFN
    Jan 6, 2011
    this game is not worth your money, for a game to be hyped up as much as this was and then for it to be disappointing makes me mad and im glad im finallyy done with this game, the plot is ok at best but the camera angels are awfl, the lighting on some parts absolutly sucked and even when i had the brightness on my tv all the way up, the game is just repetive and boring, VERY BORING!! savethis game is not worth your money, for a game to be hyped up as much as this was and then for it to be disappointing makes me mad and im glad im finallyy done with this game, the plot is ok at best but the camera angels are awfl, the lighting on some parts absolutly sucked and even when i had the brightness on my tv all the way up, the game is just repetive and boring, VERY BORING!! save your money Expand
  31. Feb 14, 2011
    I bought this game cause I had heard lots of good things about it, on top of that it stars an iconic Disney character that I've grown to love. However, this game is not as good as it's hyped to be. It's an ok game, but nothing spectacular. Basically, you obviously play as Mickey, who has accidently disturbed a world of forgotten Disney characters, by spilling magic thiner onto a model ofI bought this game cause I had heard lots of good things about it, on top of that it stars an iconic Disney character that I've grown to love. However, this game is not as good as it's hyped to be. It's an ok game, but nothing spectacular. Basically, you obviously play as Mickey, who has accidently disturbed a world of forgotten Disney characters, by spilling magic thiner onto a model of the world, turning it into a dark realm. Mickey then gets sucked into the world, and becomes trapped, and your mission is to find a way out. At the same time however, you want to try to hunt down the king of the realm Oswald, who used to be Disney's big star before Mickey came along, and he is trying to destroy Mickey. Throughout the game, you have to use the paint brush to create or delete objects to solve puzzles, which sounds cool at first, but is actually pretty agitating in this particular way. You use Paint to reate, and thinner to delete, the problem with doing this is it's extremely hard to figure out when you have to paint or delete something. Usually, if you see a faded object, it means you have to use paint on it, and if you see a brightly lit object, it can be deleted, but with lots of bright lights in each level, it's hard to tell if something is deletable, and the faded objects are so faded, you pretty much have to squint to see them, which means odds are, you'll get stuck alot. I ended up getting the strategy guide, cause I was constantly getting stuck in parts where all i had to do was paint or thin something, but it's hard to tell, cause it's tough to spot. If you insist on getting this game, make sure you get the strategy guide, otherwise you will get angry. The whole concept of using the brush is fasinating though, but they need to add a way to see the paintable objects easier, like a compass that points to objects that can be painted.

The most enjoyable part of the game is playing the side-scrolling levels. It reminded me of classics I played as a kid, and it was pretty fun. The problem though, is the side-scrollers are way too short. You can literally clear them in less than a minute, then it's back to trying to find the objects you have to paint or thin out. Fighting enemies isn't too great either. The only way to battle is by spraying paint on them to turn them from evil to good, or spray thinner on them to kill them, that's not too fun. Yeah, you could do that in Mario Sunshine, but in that game you didn't have to use the spray, you could punch them. The story is slow and dull, you basically just chase Oswald in the first half of the game, it get's pretty boring. I don't have any more time left to finish this review, but overall, it's not too great. I don't really recomend it at all. If you want a fun game that involves using a paint brush, you're better off getting Okami. I'm giving Disney's Epic Mickey a 6/10.
  32. Feb 2, 2011
    This game is hard. but it is tons of fun. ozwald finally got to be on the screen again. its been a long time. the charecters are well represented and the graphics are great. but 1 problem is that sometimes you cant see whats on the screen cause its dark. i recomend this gme to anyone who loves disney.
  33. Mar 5, 2011
    If you are a Disney fan this game is a must have. If you also are a nostalgic gamer and you miss the action adventure plat formers such as Banjo Kazooie and Conquer's Bad Fur Day on the Nintendo 64 you will love this game. The music score is excellent and represents the Disney brand of quality in their movies and now are on their games in full force. Graphics are beautiful and atmosphericIf you are a Disney fan this game is a must have. If you also are a nostalgic gamer and you miss the action adventure plat formers such as Banjo Kazooie and Conquer's Bad Fur Day on the Nintendo 64 you will love this game. The music score is excellent and represents the Disney brand of quality in their movies and now are on their games in full force. Graphics are beautiful and atmospheric and the animations of Mickey and his buddies are like real life cartoons. Junction Point did and awesome job creating this game with all they Disney love they had in their hearts but small drawbacks as the camera controls are minor problems to fully enjoy this game, it needed a little bit more developing time to twick this minor flaws but the experience is top notch. I fully recommend this game for purchase and you can find it now very cheap. Buy it. Expand
  34. Mar 12, 2011
    Epic Mickey is an amazing game. It wraps the company history in an amazing fantasy adventure game. Oswald the Lucky rabbit takes center stage as the ruler of the Wasteland and was Walt Disney's first creation. This game approaches the rivalry that developed when Walt lost the rights to Oswald and then went on to create Mickey Mouse. Other characters include various incarnations of Pete,Epic Mickey is an amazing game. It wraps the company history in an amazing fantasy adventure game. Oswald the Lucky rabbit takes center stage as the ruler of the Wasteland and was Walt Disney's first creation. This game approaches the rivalry that developed when Walt lost the rights to Oswald and then went on to create Mickey Mouse. Other characters include various incarnations of Pete, Clarabelle Cow, Horace Horsecollar, and others. These were characters that I was raised on and it is so great to see them in the spotlight once more. The platforming elements were easy to get used to. The game moves from 3-D to 2-D platforming seamlessly and the morality system is fun to experiment with. I look forward to the potential for more games continuing the story of the Wasteland. Expand
  35. Mar 25, 2011
    it is stupid with dumb controls and uninspired story. Platformers are usually fun but not this one. You can expect graphics to suck and game to be lam. Big waste of time.DO NOT BUY IT SUCKS.
  36. Apr 29, 2011
    this is a beautiful game with RPG elements, good controls and a great story, sure it has some problems with the camera some times but its not a big problem when a game has more good things then bad things, this is a great game if you want a game with mickey mouse
  37. Jun 1, 2011
    Epic Mickey takes one of the world's most beloved mascots and places him in a strange decayed and ruined world he help destroy and create. Mickey travels around a magical kingdom of forgotten and lost characters and hopes to right his wrongs and escape the ruined world. With the magical paint brush Mickey is able to create and destroy with paint and thinner. All of that sounds wonderful onEpic Mickey takes one of the world's most beloved mascots and places him in a strange decayed and ruined world he help destroy and create. Mickey travels around a magical kingdom of forgotten and lost characters and hopes to right his wrongs and escape the ruined world. With the magical paint brush Mickey is able to create and destroy with paint and thinner. All of that sounds wonderful on paper.. but the final product is far from wonderful.
    The game is directed by Warren Spector, the man behind Deus Ex, and a few Ultima games. While I have yet to experience them I don't know much about his previous works, but it one can see that this is his first platformer he's worked on. While the world of the Wasteland is quite interesting with places like Mickeyjunk Mountain standing out, you feel that the team didn't know how to approach the platforming sections of the game. There's 2D and 3D sections to the game. The short 2D sections prove to be tedious, repetitive and uninspired platforming while the 3D sections get screwed by a horrible camera which fails to follow you properly and won't shift. I fell plenty of times because of the faulty camera. The music feels full and orchestral but there's no stand out tracks ,besides the warped 2D section music.
    The game promises a moral choice system, you can be evil and erase the baddies and not help people or help people and convert the baddies to goodies. Overall.. it doesn't matter the main ending is still the same. I was kind of expecting Mickey to merge with the big bad of the game and become the evil menace to the Wastleland and rule it with an iron fist., or something a bit darker then the same happy ending that happens.
    Overall, Epic Mickey is an interesting adventure full of neat little tidbits from Disney's past. But .. it is held back by a poor camera and poor level design.
  38. Nov 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This hardcore, old-school disney fan is sad.

Simply put, it has gorgeous graphics, jarring cut-scenes, has an amazing breadth of classic Disney hat tipping and mixed level design, fleeting and slow interactions, and the tendency to become tedious quickly... I can't give this game (I wanted to love) a good rating. This cold grilled cheese sandwich gets a 3. You can eat it, and might like bits of it, but ultimately... Its not a fresh grilled cheese.

The long of it. I am an avid disney fan. Even more so classic Disney than the run of anything they've done since about 2002 (Pixar withstanding, and we aren't even going to tip the hat to a certain crappy cable channel that nearly sucked the soul of Lilo & Stitch). I salivated and pined for this game. I haven't wanted a game for a video game system so badly in a while, it made me think back to when I was in 9th grade and the Ocarina of Time was coming out for the N64. Eventually I received this game last Christmas (yay) and booted it up within the week (I manag a household and am a professional Designer, believe me this was a quick turn around). I started the game was immediately amazed at the graphical prowess they'd achieved on the Wii and how cute the simple story was that began the adventure. Within the first hour you're treated to cut scenes (which look like they were done in flash... why the juxtaposition? I really couldn't tell you) and a tutorial on how to use 95% of the game's mechanics. From there.... they really don't change much. Certain bad guys have certain ways that make it easier to beat them, but for the better part you paint, you thin, and you twirl. If you're expecting growth beyond this? You're going to be rather sad as there's about 20-40 hours (depending on how thorough you want to be) of the paint, thin, twirl ahead of you . I should mention that there are several "moral exercises" throughout the game that don't seem to have a great impact on the primary story. But constantly running though certain side scrolling platformers (again and again), using your paint, thin, twirl technique and deciding whether or not you care whether a Pirate can get a date with a recycled NPC skin for Gladys the Cow... Makes for a rather thinner (ha!) gaming experience than I would care for. From an opinion stand-point. If I cared for the characters? Then maybe this game would have some re-playable aspect to it... But as I appreciate all the effort they put into the graphics, they might have wanted to spend some more time figure out the gameplay and story. You gotta keep folks engaged! Imagine being able to upgrade your brush to paint huge swaths of paint and thinner. Or even drop paint/thinner bombs. Or paint weapons for yourself... or I dunno, just ANYTHING would have made it less boring.

Ultimately I give this a 3 because even if it is boring, its consistent. The gameplay graphics are gorgeous, the cutscenes obnoxious, the gameplay passable as a nascent interaction scheme, and the main story is solid if not painfully predictable... Its playable, but who'd want to? This hardcore, old-school disney fan is sad.
  39. Nov 18, 2011
    For me, 'Epic Mickey' is kinda like a magic game. It gives kinda the nostalgic feeling from old platform games and adventure games. The only thing that I can complain about is the camera angle, but you can get to it by time.
  40. Dec 4, 2011
    Epic Mickey is a good game. A must own if your a disney fan but a word of warning the camera is bad in this game and will make you want to throw your wiimote or paint brush. With that said I like the concept of this game a cool story line good graphics for the wii. These graphics are more like Mickey stuck in a Burtin world with all the darker shades. If you like a good platformer and areEpic Mickey is a good game. A must own if your a disney fan but a word of warning the camera is bad in this game and will make you want to throw your wiimote or paint brush. With that said I like the concept of this game a cool story line good graphics for the wii. These graphics are more like Mickey stuck in a Burtin world with all the darker shades. If you like a good platformer and are willing the put up the camera I feel this is a must own current prices have this game at 15 to 30 dollars which in is a steal BUY IT.
    +graphics -camera
    +paint/thinner idea -no voice overs
    +story
    +hidden stuff
  41. Mar 25, 2012
    Epic Mickey is not a perfect game. The camera is atrocious and the sidequests are mundane fetch quests for the most part, but the main gameplay mechanics are well worth the buy, or at least a rent. The paint-and-thinner mechanic works wonders and makes platforming very interesting. It also makes looking for secrets very interesting. Worth your time and money for anyone who is looking forEpic Mickey is not a perfect game. The camera is atrocious and the sidequests are mundane fetch quests for the most part, but the main gameplay mechanics are well worth the buy, or at least a rent. The paint-and-thinner mechanic works wonders and makes platforming very interesting. It also makes looking for secrets very interesting. Worth your time and money for anyone who is looking for something different or anyone who loves classic Disney. Expand
  42. Jul 14, 2012
    As you may have noticed I chose this game title as my username for this website because it is just SO AWESOME! The story is deep and fascinating, the music is good and doesn't grind on the nerves, the gameplay is rich and challenging and, best of all, it is exciting to see old characters that SHOULD have been popular through today. It is overall a terrific Disney game.
  43. May 14, 2013
    Great game,great dialogue is strong in concept and.....a bit flawed in execution don't ya think? But...i absolutely love this game,a platformer masterpiece that will NEVER bore the player.
  44. May 14, 2013
    Epic,just epic. This game has a strong concept and i love it as RONALDiss says:A masterpiece. Don't you believe it?just try yourself! It's an epic experience that you can't absolutely miss. 10/10
  45. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is not bad, per say. It has its flaws such the camera which really hurts the game in the long run. But, it does tell a story in a grim tone without being a waste of time. The platforming and puzzles are great, but most importantly, its Disney references are remarkable. If you are a Disney fan or enjoy a good platformer you will enjoy Epic Mickey.
  46. Apr 10, 2013
    Epic Mickey is, in my opinion, an amazing experience. Yes, the camera sucks, but once you get used to it it just becomes a part of the game- an integral part of combat is constantly moving the camera, but it becomes very natural. Disney took a daring step with this game, and they didn't 100% make it, but I say they did a pretty good job. Another thing- for the wii, the graphics are killer.Epic Mickey is, in my opinion, an amazing experience. Yes, the camera sucks, but once you get used to it it just becomes a part of the game- an integral part of combat is constantly moving the camera, but it becomes very natural. Disney took a daring step with this game, and they didn't 100% make it, but I say they did a pretty good job. Another thing- for the wii, the graphics are killer. Although some environments can be annoyingly dark, overall the level design looks great. And the enemies you fight- literally I have no idea how Junction Point managed to force the Wii to handle it. Naturally, because of this there may be a couple of instances of lag, but its nothing serious. It bogs a little at one point with fetch quests on Mean Street, but toward the end of the game I could not stop playing. My verdict? It's cheap. Pick it up. (PS- Replay value is tremendous) Expand
  47. Jun 11, 2013
    Relatively entertaining. Not very balanced co-op. Seems like it was made for one player as Mickey and then a second player was slapped on with a few attacks. Mickey solves the majority of the puzzles and controls the majority of the choices. Not very exciting if you aren't Mickey and like to do more than basic attacks and turning on machines.

Having to call Mickey over to do

Having to call Mickey over to do something basic like paint an object or chest is very tedious. The controls aren't well explained. Many vital moves are not explained at all you are just told to do it. The game feels very slapped together.
  48. Aug 7, 2014
    Personally, this is one of my favorite games. This is a game that sends you down into a world that feels like its been forgotten and ruined. Marvelous art style, animation and soundtrack set the tone for this game perfectly. The cutscenes are especially unique and well-done, and they fit into the game. Many say that they were disappointed by the lack of voice-acting that was replaced withPersonally, this is one of my favorite games. This is a game that sends you down into a world that feels like its been forgotten and ruined. Marvelous art style, animation and soundtrack set the tone for this game perfectly. The cutscenes are especially unique and well-done, and they fit into the game. Many say that they were disappointed by the lack of voice-acting that was replaced with grunts and moans, but I personally think it fit. Any voice-acting probably would have broken the immersion and atmosphere. The story is also unique in the sense that it is based off of truth: characters lost to history are reintroduced and remembered once more in a great story that will entrance you with its characterization and plot. The game, however, does fall slightly in the gameplay area: the controls are a bit bothersome, but more annoying are the quests that are essentially fetch-quests. But I did like just running around and exploring the different areas of Wasteland, experimenting with different choices and paths every playthrough. The morality system (dubbed "play-style matters") wasn't as deep or enjoyable as I think it could've been, but I still had fun with it. I was hooked and played through it as many times as it took to get every precious pin, and I loved every minute of it. Expand
  49. Mar 29, 2014
    I really couldn't get into this game. It just didn't impress me all that much. I do like both Disney and video games but for some reason, I am not as much as a fan of Disney video games. The gameplay just felt bland and boring, the story felt a bit uninspiring and this also was one of those tutorial infested games; I really think that tutorials shouldn't be so long, just kept simpleI really couldn't get into this game. It just didn't impress me all that much. I do like both Disney and video games but for some reason, I am not as much as a fan of Disney video games. The gameplay just felt bland and boring, the story felt a bit uninspiring and this also was one of those tutorial infested games; I really think that tutorials shouldn't be so long, just kept simple because I find myself grinding through text boxes throughout the game. Overall I just wasn't a fan, maybe I'll give it a second chance later on, but I don't see myself playing this or the sequel any time soon. Expand
  50. Jan 2, 2011

1. Feb 8, 2011
    A fantastic historical / interactive / playable document and sometimes irregular, expressed in its good and bad moments.
  2. Feb 6, 2011
    Clumsy design holds it back from true greatness. [Christmas 2010, p.46]
  3. Jan 31, 2011
    Its reach exceeds its grasp, but at least Disney Epic Mickey is reaching. Occasionally it brushes its fingertips up against something amazing that might have been.