7.2

1. Jun 5, 2014
    We cannot understand all the negative reviews for this game in my house. My son, wife and I play this more than any other racer on the Wii (and we have nearly all of them). Tight, fun controls and a lot of hidden depth. After a few play sessions I realized that if I can time my banana fueled turbo boosts to hit a few barrels in a row the turbo boost is extended for example.

There seems
    to have been an agenda to hate on this game at the time of its release. Picking up a Wii and this game in 2014 and it is clearly better than most other racers on the system. Reviewers say the on rails mechanic is an insult. It is hardly on rails- you will just slowly go around the track bumping into things if you go afk.

Comparing it to the apparently untouchable Mario Kart Wii this racer does not have the ridiculous "give constantly overpowered items to the guy at the back" programmed in. You win your races due to skill and timing.

It is also a great little workout at times as you pump the num chuck and remote to get up to full speed- Once at max speed you can focus on maneuvering.

So, all in all, a criminally underrated game imo. And for me Mario Kart Wii is just the opposite.

1. Despite all of its problems, you’ll almost certainly have a great deal of fun playing Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race. [JPN Import; Sept 2007, p.118]
  2. A game so bad, it brings shame upon Donkey Kong and his entire family. [JPN Import; Oct 2007, p.60]
  3. To Barrel Blast's credit, it looks like there was a concerted effort to make the game look better--a smooth frame rate and some nice effects spruce up an otherwise mundane racer. [Nov 2007, p.99]