Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii

8.6

1. Apr 23, 2016
    This game is not best on the Wii . This game some better than New Super Mario Bros Wii . This game has got a nostalgia . In this game should not be awesome graphics and amazing gameplay . This is nostalgic game as New Super Mario Bros Wii . Normal game .
  2. Apr 2, 2016
    Brilliant Level Design is killed by ok music and disgusting pixel filled graphics that hurt to look at. Also some rough pacing through this 2D platforming.
  3. Dec 11, 2014
    e game's story focuses on a group of evil creatures called Tikis known as the Tiki Tak Tribe that arrive on Donkey Kong Island,[7] and hypnotize the island's animals to steal Donkey Kong's bananas. This forces him to retrieve the hoard with the help of his friend Diddy Kong.[8] Donkey Kong Country Returns is the series' first traditional home console installment since Donkey Kong Junglee game's story focuses on a group of evil creatures called Tikis known as the Tiki Tak Tribe that arrive on Donkey Kong Island,[7] and hypnotize the island's animals to steal Donkey Kong's bananas. This forces him to retrieve the hoard with the help of his friend Diddy Kong.[8] Donkey Kong Country Returns is the series' first traditional home console installment since Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (2005), and also the first Donkey Kong Country entry not to involve British video game developer Rare during its development. Expand
  4. May 27, 2012
    This game is pretty cool to look at, but the gameplay is so frustrating, you can only play a little at a time, its a good game, but pisses me off too much
  5. Mar 12, 2012
    Gorgeous as it it, DKC Returns is missing something in the exploration/action pace department to live up to the series.

The Good: Mesmerizing. The Bad: Levels push the player forward, while leaving the exploration mood behind; poor music remixes; dragging, annoying boss battles. Donkey Kong Country--the series--is firmly based upon two main pillars: state-of-the-art presentation and

The Good: Mesmerizing.

Donkey Kong Country--the series--is firmly based upon two main pillars: state-of-the-art presentation and levels exploration. And while DKC Returns--the latest installment after a 14-year and two generations gap--succeeds in looking beautiful and shiny it falls short when it comes to gameplay in comparison to its predecessors.
    Even though at first those apparently diverse pillars may not seem to relate, in this game one can sometimes get in the way of the other.

That happens because in order to create a breathing, living world the designers decided to put together a bunch of ever-changing levels; not that crumbling platforms, falling monoliths and random molten lava raining are bad things per se, but there are many occasions when the moving pace gets so frantic that one can only hope to survive by quickly REACTING to the environment. And in such a weird QTE/platform action hybrid of some sort there's not many room left for a keen eye looking after puzzle pieces or "KONG" letters... Here's where "exploration" goes down for the sake of presentation.

Still, that's not all. Kong's controls are perfect for sure, but he's heavier and slower than anything else around him (including hyppopotamuses -.-); ultimately that leads the player to keep running and jumping aimlessly in order to PREDICT what comes next--waiting is not always an option since DK won't be able to make it in time. More than that, the levels frequently allure you into moving at a given pace then suddenly take that away from you, making it all more a matter of memorization/trial and error than an actual platform action (Volcano levels are a good example of that).

Not that the game hasn't its bright sides; but I see things mostly like a mixed bag overall.

Presentation is breathtaking regarding graphics, but there's no original music score and the remixes don't quite live up to the original tracks; the balance of unlockables distribution is perfect along the worlds--including secret levels and so--but the extras are not that compelling (exception made to the amazing dioramas); boss fights feel epic at first but they drag out way to long just to be remembered as annoyances.

Nintendo's effort in reviving a long forgotten franchise by shaping it into a modern hardcore 2D-platformer is praiseworthy, of course. But some decisions here may have taken the series a little off the track.
  6. Nov 13, 2011
    I enjoyed this game. It captures the same fun that the other Donkey Kong Country games had. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is better, but this is still worth playing.
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    i think the game was entertaining and fun. It did not have a lot of levels and i was very disappointed. The game itself is very fun, but after you are done it is not something you would want to play again. I spent $50 on this game for my parents for Christmas and i think i am going to try to re-sell it. I am very disappointed that there are not more levels. overall, its a great game, buti think the game was entertaining and fun. It did not have a lot of levels and i was very disappointed. The game itself is very fun, but after you are done it is not something you would want to play again. I spent $50 on this game for my parents for Christmas and i think i am going to try to re-sell it. I am very disappointed that there are not more levels. overall, its a great game, but not much to do. i think they could of at least added more levels to the game. Expand
  8. Jun 21, 2011
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is a great game full of excitement and fun... but it is definitely lacking. I love the Donkey Kong Country series but my biggest problem with this game is how easy it is to beat certain levels but then the next level takes many many attempts to beat. I did love all the new things the Wii remote offers, overall story, and creativity for a game modeled after a classic.
  9. Jan 18, 2011
    Firstly, I'm a big fan of the original SNES' DKC. So, Retro Games Studios had big shoes to fill. The controls. Arg! Really disappointing and frustrating to the point where I nearly stopped playing after the first level. What's wrong with controls? too gimmicky. I want to be able to press X or Y (or the Wiimote's equivalent) and have Donkey Kong do a forward roll/somersault. I want to beFirstly, I'm a big fan of the original SNES' DKC. So, Retro Games Studios had big shoes to fill. The controls. Arg! Really disappointing and frustrating to the point where I nearly stopped playing after the first level. What's wrong with controls? too gimmicky. I want to be able to press X or Y (or the Wiimote's equivalent) and have Donkey Kong do a forward roll/somersault. I want to be able to hold down and press X or Y and have him slap the ground to unearth bananas. Not shake and tilt and blah blah. Bit better when you unplug the nun-chuk. Then there's Diddy. There doesn't seem to be anyway to tag-team him in - which is unforgivable. Worst design decision made on this project. Person(s) responsible do not know or understand the DKC IP and should stay away from future DKC projects. Animal companions? where's the ostrich? sword fish? frog? core elements of DKC completely missing until 3-6 "Temple Topple" where I get the Rhino for the second time maybe? It may sound petty but the game suffers as a result. The Music? Not as good as the original - there's some kind of "elevator-music filter" added which just cheeses the original soundtrack up. I don't like it at all. Level design. Should have stuck closer to the originals. Some sparks of genius (Level 2-7 Tidal Terror is great). Clearly influenced by Little Big Planet for sure.

Boss battles are ok. In the end, it looks like the design team(s) were pulled in too many directions and the original DKC recipe got overly diluted with Banjo & Kazooie, Sonic & Tails, Jak & Dexter, Little Big Planet, and Wiimote-Gimmickness. If you've never played the original, you may enjoy it. If you played the original and hold it in high regard (one of my top 10) you'll be sad. As there was potential here for greatness. Hopefully, they do a follow-up title and go back to basics - keep it simple, improve the music, map the controls 1:1 to the SNES, give me back Diddy, Frog, Ostrich and treetop Village! Still give it a 5/10 which I think is fair.
  10. Dec 31, 2010
    While I did enjoy some of the scenery and the new controls, which aren't that bad to handle, I was generally left unimpressed with this game. The rocket barrel was a new interesting level design but it left me thinking of those flash helicopter games. The game was too easy as well and did not have enough levels like the old SNES games which compared to this are just massive, I ended theWhile I did enjoy some of the scenery and the new controls, which aren't that bad to handle, I was generally left unimpressed with this game. The rocket barrel was a new interesting level design but it left me thinking of those flash helicopter games. The game was too easy as well and did not have enough levels like the old SNES games which compared to this are just massive, I ended the game with an accumulated 85 lives and that is without buying from cranky kong. I found that to be the same with the latest super mario bros game. So Nintendo change that aspect of your platformer games.

It was a fun game but not much replay value.
    Hopefully, Retro's next iteration will be chock full of levels and an increased difficulty.
  11. Dec 18, 2010
    While I do enjoy this game, very much, I believe it pails in comparison to the originals for the SNES, particularly DKC2. This new take on the Donkey Kong Country series lacks the little artistic details of the earlier games. I was also disappointed by the fact that there are only two animal buddies in this game. I understand that Retro Studios was attempting to go in a differentWhile I do enjoy this game, very much, I believe it pails in comparison to the originals for the SNES, particularly DKC2. This new take on the Donkey Kong Country series lacks the little artistic details of the earlier games. I was also disappointed by the fact that there are only two animal buddies in this game. I understand that Retro Studios was attempting to go in a different direction, but I feel they left much of the series' appeal in the dust while not bringing very many new things to the table. I do like how they kept the rolling-jump from the originals intact, adding an element of challenge to the game. Expand
  12. Nov 26, 2010
    I'm liking the game a lot. They've done a wonderful job in trying to reshape the original SNES game into a game that's worthy of the WII, and current gaming in general. However, I haven't given it a full score for 2 reasons. First of all, because I do feel that there is a certain lack of originality (it's too similar to the original) and secondly, because my favorite part of the originalI'm liking the game a lot. They've done a wonderful job in trying to reshape the original SNES game into a game that's worthy of the WII, and current gaming in general. However, I haven't given it a full score for 2 reasons. First of all, because I do feel that there is a certain lack of originality (it's too similar to the original) and secondly, because my favorite part of the original DKC, underwater levels, are not included in this game. That was a big let down for me, as they were the most magical part of the original Donkey Kong Country. Expand
  13. Jan 6, 2011
    As a gamer from way back when, I was nervous when revisiting a childhood friend in DK. COUNTRY RETURNS recaptures the essence of DK on SNES, but.......... it doesn't take any steps past the original 3. Yes, developers usually muck up redo's of retro games whether they are keeping it the same or changing things up. And yes, COUNTRY RETURNS reaches out to the younger generation who mayAs a gamer from way back when, I was nervous when revisiting a childhood friend in DK. COUNTRY RETURNS recaptures the essence of DK on SNES, but.......... it doesn't take any steps past the original 3. Yes, developers usually muck up redo's of retro games whether they are keeping it the same or changing things up. And yes, COUNTRY RETURNS reaches out to the younger generation who may have missed the SNES versions, and would suck them into retro 2D tastiness. But having had seen what RARE had to offer, I (and possibly a few oldER gamers) felt like COUNTRY RETURNS was missing a few parts (and the Klemlin). I will admit I shed a nostalgic tear roll-jumping, and hearing the original DKs music being reused/misused (water level music while on land? DOES NOT COMPUTE)

BUT BUT BUT.... all of that aside, COUNTRY RETURNS is a killer game. Fans and Retro-virgins will dig this offering. Not perfect, but pretty damn fun.

#4 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#4 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Mar 17, 2011
    It looks and sounds wonderful, it feels great when you play it, it's tons of fun and full of surprises.
  2. Feb 25, 2011
    Fans of classic 2D games, or the original DKC games, owe it to themselves to pick up this amazing return to the franchise. The difficulty is the one area that may throw some gamers for a loop, but with the ability to let the game play itself it becomes a non-issue.
  3. Feb 16, 2011
    In the end Donkey Kong Country Returns is, in my opinion, a long awaited return to a franchise that needed updating. Fear not, DK fans, this title is for you.