Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii

8.6

1. Nov 13, 2011
    I enjoyed this game. It captures the same fun that the other Donkey Kong Country games had. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is better, but this is still worth playing.
  2. May 27, 2012
    This game is pretty cool to look at, but the gameplay is so frustrating, you can only play a little at a time, its a good game, but pisses me off too much
  3. Apr 23, 2016
    This game is not best on the Wii . This game some better than New Super Mario Bros Wii . This game has got a nostalgia . In this game should not be awesome graphics and amazing gameplay . This is nostalgic game as New Super Mario Bros Wii . Normal game .
  4. Apr 2, 2016
    Brilliant Level Design is killed by ok music and disgusting pixel filled graphics that hurt to look at. Also some rough pacing through this 2D platforming.
  5. Mar 12, 2012
    Gorgeous as it it, DKC Returns is missing something in the exploration/action pace department to live up to the series.

The Good: Mesmerizing. The Bad: Levels push the player forward, while leaving the exploration mood behind; poor music remixes; dragging, annoying boss battles. Donkey Kong Country--the series--is firmly based upon two main pillars: state-of-the-art presentation and

The Good: Mesmerizing.

Donkey Kong Country--the series--is firmly based upon two main pillars: state-of-the-art presentation and levels exploration. And while DKC Returns--the latest installment after a 14-year and two generations gap--succeeds in looking beautiful and shiny it falls short when it comes to gameplay in comparison to its predecessors.
    Even though at first those apparently diverse pillars may not seem to relate, in this game one can sometimes get in the way of the other.

That happens because in order to create a breathing, living world the designers decided to put together a bunch of ever-changing levels; not that crumbling platforms, falling monoliths and random molten lava raining are bad things per se, but there are many occasions when the moving pace gets so frantic that one can only hope to survive by quickly REACTING to the environment. And in such a weird QTE/platform action hybrid of some sort there's not many room left for a keen eye looking after puzzle pieces or "KONG" letters... Here's where "exploration" goes down for the sake of presentation.

Still, that's not all. Kong's controls are perfect for sure, but he's heavier and slower than anything else around him (including hyppopotamuses -.-); ultimately that leads the player to keep running and jumping aimlessly in order to PREDICT what comes next--waiting is not always an option since DK won't be able to make it in time. More than that, the levels frequently allure you into moving at a given pace then suddenly take that away from you, making it all more a matter of memorization/trial and error than an actual platform action (Volcano levels are a good example of that).

Not that the game hasn't its bright sides; but I see things mostly like a mixed bag overall.

Presentation is breathtaking regarding graphics, but there's no original music score and the remixes don't quite live up to the original tracks; the balance of unlockables distribution is perfect along the worlds--including secret levels and so--but the extras are not that compelling (exception made to the amazing dioramas); boss fights feel epic at first but they drag out way to long just to be remembered as annoyances.

Nintendo's effort in reviving a long forgotten franchise by shaping it into a modern hardcore 2D-platformer is praiseworthy, of course. But some decisions here may have taken the series a little off the track.
  6. Jun 21, 2011
    Donkey Kong Country Returns is a great game full of excitement and fun... but it is definitely lacking. I love the Donkey Kong Country series but my biggest problem with this game is how easy it is to beat certain levels but then the next level takes many many attempts to beat. I did love all the new things the Wii remote offers, overall story, and creativity for a game modeled after a classic.
  7. Jan 18, 2011
    Firstly, I'm a big fan of the original SNES' DKC. So, Retro Games Studios had big shoes to fill. The controls. Arg! Really disappointing and frustrating to the point where I nearly stopped playing after the first level. What's wrong with controls? too gimmicky. I want to be able to press X or Y (or the Wiimote's equivalent) and have Donkey Kong do a forward roll/somersault. I want to beFirstly, I'm a big fan of the original SNES' DKC. So, Retro Games Studios had big shoes to fill. The controls. Arg! Really disappointing and frustrating to the point where I nearly stopped playing after the first level. What's wrong with controls? too gimmicky. I want to be able to press X or Y (or the Wiimote's equivalent) and have Donkey Kong do a forward roll/somersault. I want to be able to hold down and press X or Y and have him slap the ground to unearth bananas. Not shake and tilt and blah blah. Bit better when you unplug the nun-chuk. Then there's Diddy. There doesn't seem to be anyway to tag-team him in - which is unforgivable. Worst design decision made on this project. Person(s) responsible do not know or understand the DKC IP and should stay away from future DKC projects. Animal companions? where's the ostrich? sword fish? frog? core elements of DKC completely missing until 3-6 "Temple Topple" where I get the Rhino for the second time maybe? It may sound petty but the game suffers as a result. The Music? Not as good as the original - there's some kind of "elevator-music filter" added which just cheeses the original soundtrack up. I don't like it at all. Level design. Should have stuck closer to the originals. Some sparks of genius (Level 2-7 Tidal Terror is great). Clearly influenced by Little Big Planet for sure.

Boss battles are ok. In the end, it looks like the design team(s) were pulled in too many directions and the original DKC recipe got overly diluted with Banjo & Kazooie, Sonic & Tails, Jak & Dexter, Little Big Planet, and Wiimote-Gimmickness. If you've never played the original, you may enjoy it. If you played the original and hold it in high regard (one of my top 10) you'll be sad. As there was potential here for greatness. Hopefully, they do a follow-up title and go back to basics - keep it simple, improve the music, map the controls 1:1 to the SNES, give me back Diddy, Frog, Ostrich and treetop Village! Still give it a 5/10 which I think is fair.
  8. Dec 11, 2014
    e game's story focuses on a group of evil creatures called Tikis known as the Tiki Tak Tribe that arrive on Donkey Kong Island,[7] and hypnotize the island's animals to steal Donkey Kong's bananas. This forces him to retrieve the hoard with the help of his friend Diddy Kong.[8] Donkey Kong Country Returns is the series' first traditional home console installment since Donkey Kong Junglee game's story focuses on a group of evil creatures called Tikis known as the Tiki Tak Tribe that arrive on Donkey Kong Island,[7] and hypnotize the island's animals to steal Donkey Kong's bananas. This forces him to retrieve the hoard with the help of his friend Diddy Kong.[8] Donkey Kong Country Returns is the series' first traditional home console installment since Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (2005), and also the first Donkey Kong Country entry not to involve British video game developer Rare during its development. Expand
  9. Dec 31, 2010
    While I did enjoy some of the scenery and the new controls, which aren't that bad to handle, I was generally left unimpressed with this game. The rocket barrel was a new interesting level design but it left me thinking of those flash helicopter games. The game was too easy as well and did not have enough levels like the old SNES games which compared to this are just massive, I ended theWhile I did enjoy some of the scenery and the new controls, which aren't that bad to handle, I was generally left unimpressed with this game. The rocket barrel was a new interesting level design but it left me thinking of those flash helicopter games. The game was too easy as well and did not have enough levels like the old SNES games which compared to this are just massive, I ended the game with an accumulated 85 lives and that is without buying from cranky kong. I found that to be the same with the latest super mario bros game. So Nintendo change that aspect of your platformer games.

It was a fun game but not much replay value.
    Hopefully, Retro's next iteration will be chock full of levels and an increased difficulty.
  10. Nov 26, 2010
    I'm liking the game a lot. They've done a wonderful job in trying to reshape the original SNES game into a game that's worthy of the WII, and current gaming in general. However, I haven't given it a full score for 2 reasons. First of all, because I do feel that there is a certain lack of originality (it's too similar to the original) and secondly, because my favorite part of the originalI'm liking the game a lot. They've done a wonderful job in trying to reshape the original SNES game into a game that's worthy of the WII, and current gaming in general. However, I haven't given it a full score for 2 reasons. First of all, because I do feel that there is a certain lack of originality (it's too similar to the original) and secondly, because my favorite part of the original DKC, underwater levels, are not included in this game. That was a big let down for me, as they were the most magical part of the original Donkey Kong Country. Expand
  11. Dec 18, 2010
    While I do enjoy this game, very much, I believe it pails in comparison to the originals for the SNES, particularly DKC2. This new take on the Donkey Kong Country series lacks the little artistic details of the earlier games. I was also disappointed by the fact that there are only two animal buddies in this game. I understand that Retro Studios was attempting to go in a differentWhile I do enjoy this game, very much, I believe it pails in comparison to the originals for the SNES, particularly DKC2. This new take on the Donkey Kong Country series lacks the little artistic details of the earlier games. I was also disappointed by the fact that there are only two animal buddies in this game. I understand that Retro Studios was attempting to go in a different direction, but I feel they left much of the series' appeal in the dust while not bringing very many new things to the table. I do like how they kept the rolling-jump from the originals intact, adding an element of challenge to the game. Expand
  12. Nov 9, 2011
    i think the game was entertaining and fun. It did not have a lot of levels and i was very disappointed. The game itself is very fun, but after you are done it is not something you would want to play again. I spent $50 on this game for my parents for Christmas and i think i am going to try to re-sell it. I am very disappointed that there are not more levels. overall, its a great game, buti think the game was entertaining and fun. It did not have a lot of levels and i was very disappointed. The game itself is very fun, but after you are done it is not something you would want to play again. I spent $50 on this game for my parents for Christmas and i think i am going to try to re-sell it. I am very disappointed that there are not more levels. overall, its a great game, but not much to do. i think they could of at least added more levels to the game. Expand
  13. Apr 9, 2012
    A high quality platformer, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a must-have for fans of the genre. It is not a perfect game, but it is a very good one. It is also the most difficult full-retail 2D platformer to come out since the 16 bit era, so if you don't LIKE hard games, you really won't like this game past the first few worlds - the difficulty increases significantly.

The game's graphics

The game's graphics are very pretty and it makes excellent use of color; the game feels very vibrant and the levels have flavorful and attractive graphical design. The enemies too look cool and you are never left feeling confused - the enemies' appearances are very intuitive.

In addition to the standard rolling that is present in all Donkey Kong Country games, as well as the ground pound move from the very first Donkey Kong Country game, this game also incorporates a new blowing mechanic; while ostensibly very similar to pounding the ground, it allows for a few interesting interactions with the environment as well as a few enemies who are on fire who you can blow out in order to attack (or even to kill them outright in the case of a few enemies). Unlike previous Donkey Kong Country games, in DKCR you are always DK and you have two hit points, with Diddy coming out of barrels to give you another 2 hit points and cling to your back, giving you a rocket boost hover and allowing you to move around stages more quickly while rolling.

As with all DKC games there are two kinds of collectables; in this game, there are puzzle pieces and KONG letters, and unlike in previous games the KONG letters are for unlocking stages rather than mere extra lives.

The game has a time trial mode built into it as well, so if you enjoy that sort of thing it is available, and if you don't, you don't miss out on any content for ignoring the mode.

It does have its flaws, however:

1) In time trial mode, when you die before the first checkpoint, rather than resetting the level automatically it restarts you at the start of the level with elapsed time on the clock. This is pointless and stupid, as you might as well restart the level at 0:00 at that point - and you do. Repeatedly.

2) Using the waggle to roll and pound is annoying. You get used to it after a while, but every once in a while the controls will kill you and it will annoy you considerably.

3) A few of the levels have frustrating elements in their level design which create "fake difficulty". A good example is the final boss; there is a long rocket section prior to the final boss, but once you reach him, if you die, you do not have Diddy Kong, your fathful sidekick (and two extra hit points, and hover jumps). You want him again? You have to replay the rocket level (which is tedious). You can beat him without Diddy, but it is unnecessarily made harder to do.

4) There are still lives in this game, but they are incredibly pointless. You can easily max out your lives, and you can buy more lives if you really feel like you need to. Oftentimes, dying before some areas will actually increase your stock count due to collecting extra life balloons plus bananas, making gaining infinite lives trivial. Like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, there is absolutely no reason for lives to still be in the game.

#4 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#4 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Mar 17, 2011
    It looks and sounds wonderful, it feels great when you play it, it's tons of fun and full of surprises.
  2. Feb 25, 2011
    Fans of classic 2D games, or the original DKC games, owe it to themselves to pick up this amazing return to the franchise. The difficulty is the one area that may throw some gamers for a loop, but with the ability to let the game play itself it becomes a non-issue.
  3. Feb 16, 2011
    In the end Donkey Kong Country Returns is, in my opinion, a long awaited return to a franchise that needed updating. Fear not, DK fans, this title is for you.